PDA

View Full Version : Sources: James Harden agrees to $118M renegotiation

Dade County
07-09-2016, 03:51 PM
Harden re-uped.

Houston Rockets shooting guard James Harden agreed to a new contract with the Houston Rockets on Saturday that will pay out $118 million through the 2020 season, according to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski. The 2019-20 season on Harden's deal will be a player option, per Wojnarowski.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2651148-james-harden-rockets-agree-to-new-contract-latest-details-reaction

Houston Rockets All-Star guard James Harden has agreed to a four-year, $118 million renegotiation that could keep him under contract through 2020, league sources told The Vertical.

The deal assures the Rockets of one additional year of Harden under contract in 2018-19 because of a player option that could return him to free agency in 2019, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--james-harden-172817615.html;_ylt=A0LEVkCTVYFXs00ApMcPxQt.;_ylu= X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYw Nzcg--

Htownballa1622
07-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Hooray!

Best Sg back!

RLundi
07-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Say what you want about Harden, but he's a top 10 player pretty easily. But with this new extension, he STILL makes less per year than Mike Conley. That is absurd.

TheMightyHumph
07-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Paying for cancer.

kingsdelez24
07-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Say what you want about Harden, but he's a top 10 player pretty easily. But with this new extension, he STILL makes less per year than Mike Conley. That is absurd.

From a B-Ball IQ standpoint, Conley is worth every penny. Harden plays with half a brain

Stunner
07-09-2016, 05:24 PM
No way in hell Conley is worth his contract

Scoots
07-09-2016, 06:16 PM
It's a team with good contracts and some interesting players ... but I don't know if they'll make a good team.

cmellofan15
07-09-2016, 06:43 PM
From a B-Ball IQ standpoint, Conley is worth every penny. Harden plays with half a brain

LMAO that half a brain must work better than Conley's whole brain because Harden is better and more efficient by far.

naps
07-09-2016, 06:52 PM
UNDERPAID.

Because of Mike Conely.

nysportsfan23
07-09-2016, 07:08 PM
How much did harden sacrifice in potential salary?

RLundi
07-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Sacrifice lol what a disgusting word when his annual salary is the GDP of a small country.

But anyway, it really depends on the cap. Harden was supposed to be a FA in 2018. If the cap is supposed to be around $102M, then I'm guessing the next year it'll settle around $110M? Just an estimation. But using that number, considering Harden would be eligible to receive 30% of the cap, his annual salary would start at about $33M. And including the annual raises, over 5 years, Houston could have offered somewhere around $180M.

Somebody check my math though, but again, I'm using very rough estimates since the cap is a mystery.

lol, please
07-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Hooray!

Best Sg back!

Did you guys sign Klay Thompson?

:confused:

lol, please
07-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Good move by the Rockets though. it's a shame teams like the Thunder can't take care of their key guys like this.

mightybosstone
07-10-2016, 12:26 AM
It's a phenomenal day if you're a Houston sports fan. The narrative in Houston has been pretty bleak since Houston underperformed last year. Basically everybody has been quite doom and gloom under the assumption that Harden would leave after his current contract was up, and they'd be back to the drawing board in two seasons.

This deal shows not only a dedication to this franchise from the front office's standpoint, but from Harden's as well. And while it might have just given the Rockets one more guaranteed year of Harden in a Rockets jersey, I think the fact that he was willing to renegotiate his deal and that Houston was willing to pay him more the next two seasons speaks volumes about where their relationship is at.

I don't know if they'll be a better team next season. But I'm thrilled to see that the franchise at least has some kind of a direction from a coaching and personnel standpoint.

mightybosstone
07-10-2016, 12:28 AM

Pretty much every single advanced number in the book suggests otherwise, chief. I don't care what the All-NBA Team says. They didn't vote based on who the better player was. They voted based on public opinion and overall team success. James Harden is a more impactful basketball player on the court. Period. And if you took Klay Thompson and put him around the supporting cast the Beard had last season, they wouldn't have won 30 games.

Scoots
07-10-2016, 12:39 AM
Sacrifice lol what a disgusting word when his annual salary is the GDP of a small country.

But anyway, it really depends on the cap. Harden was supposed to be a FA in 2018. If the cap is supposed to be around $102M, then I'm guessing the next year it'll settle around $110M? Just an estimation. But using that number, considering Harden would be eligible to receive 30% of the cap, his annual salary would start at about $33M. And including the annual raises, over 5 years, Houston could have offered somewhere around $180M.

Somebody check my math though, but again, I'm using very rough estimates since the cap is a mystery.

Projections I've seen the 17-18 cap is the peak and it's going to go down from there, so his may not be leaving much money on the table at all with this deal if the cap drops back into the 90s. Also there may be a new CBA that COULD reduce his possible paycheck.

Bostonjorge
07-10-2016, 01:08 AM
UNDERPAID.

Because of Mike Conely.

Exactly. Harden should or waited 2 years to become a free agent and got paid.

mightybosstone
07-10-2016, 01:11 AM
Exactly. Harden should or waited 2 years to become a free agent and got paid.

Actually, the contract is a four-year deal with the fourth-year a player option. And after that third year, he'll have been in the league 10 years, so the bigger max salary tier will kick in. So, he's actually very likely to be paid very well. And in the meantime, he's making roughly $20 million more in total over the next two years.

Htownballa1622
07-10-2016, 01:28 AM

Lmao. Let me know when klay can create for others.

LA_Raiders
07-10-2016, 03:13 AM
Good for him, at least he is not like LeFlop or KD.

kingsdelez24
07-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Lmao. Let me know when klay can create for others.

Any player is bound to create for others when he accounts for almost 40% of their teams possessions

FlashBolt
07-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Lol @ people arguing Klay>Harden.

Klay was the third/fourth best defender on his team and with an offensive beast of a squad. The game comes easier for him by the sheer quality of players on his team. Let me know when Klay can carry a squad for an entire season. You all saw what happened when he couldn't make his threes (NBA Finals). Which is why I argued that though Harden won't get you 73 wins, him on the Warriors is a more dangerous team.

mightybosstone
07-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Any player is bound to create for others when he accounts for almost 40% of their teams possessions

I would argue that he has HAD to account for so many of those possessions because there were no other quality playmakers on the roster last couple of seasons and he played on a team completely devoid of any real offensive gameplan. Hopefully that changes this season and D'Antoni will get more ball movement out of them offensively. But Harden will still be creating for others, regardless, because he clearly excels at it, and that's his game.

TheMightyHumph
07-10-2016, 06:38 PM
I would argue that he has HAD to account for so many of those possessions because there were no other quality playmakers on the roster last couple of seasons and he played on a team completely devoid of any real offensive gameplan. Hopefully that changes this season and D'Antoni will get more ball movement out of them offensively. But Harden will still be creating for others, regardless, because he clearly excels at it, and that's his game.

With 4.6 turnovers a game, and laughable defensive effort, he creates for the opposition also.

mightybosstone
07-10-2016, 06:56 PM
With 4.6 turnovers a game, and laughable defensive effort, he creates for the opposition also.

It's easy to cherrypick the things you like about the player while completely ignoring how productive they are overall, like the fact that he scored more points than any player in the league last year, was sixth in total assists, 12th in total steals and grabbed more boards than any other player at his position. Then there's the fact that he was eighth in PER, 15th in TS%, sixth in total WS, 12th in WS/48 and 8th in BPM.

The guy is unequivocally a top 10 player in the league. Period. And you'd have very little ground to stand on to suggest otherwise.

Laker Legend42
07-11-2016, 01:50 AM
I think the Houston rockets will come to regret this(kinda like the lakers and Mongol) I think James harden is the next in line of great 6th men in the league. He's the next Jamal Crawford.If you watch him that's the way that he plays. The best award he will ever win is 6th man of the year. In any sport that I know of there has never been a backup,become a big part of another team and become successful. You were a backup for a reason. It's tried more in football. Starter goes down,the hot backup comes in and wins game then the leauge goes nuts. Then other teams pay through the nose to get them. That's James harden. He would be the perfect energy guy off the bench.

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 01:56 AM
It's easy to cherrypick the things you like about the player while completely ignoring how productive they are overall, like the fact that he scored more points than any player in the league last year, was sixth in total assists, 12th in total steals and grabbed more boards than any other player at his position. Then there's the fact that he was eighth in PER, 15th in TS%, sixth in total WS, 12th in WS/48 and 8th in BPM.

The guy is unequivocally a top 10 player in the league. Period. And you'd have very little ground to stand on to suggest otherwise.

1) Lack of leadership.
2) Lack of defensive intensity.
3) Lack of wanting to win (rarely see him look like he gives a damn).

Top 10 player but did you watch the playoffs? Looked like he didn't care.

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 02:04 AM
I think the Houston rockets will come to regret this(kinda like the lakers and Mongol) I think James harden is the next in line of great 6th men in the league. He's the next Jamal Crawford.If you watch him that's the way that he plays. The best award he will ever win is 6th man of the year. In any sport that I know of there has never been a backup,become a big part of another team and become successful. You were a backup for a reason. It's tried more in football. Starter goes down,the hot backup comes in and wins game then the leauge goes nuts. Then other teams pay through the nose to get them. That's James harden. He would be the perfect energy guy off the bench.

1) He was a backup because we had drafted Jeff Green -- who was very good at that time. Better than Harden was. We initially wanted to keep Green but Harden's game complimented us better. After Green was gone, Harden still came off the bench but was playing starter minutes.. so he was sixth-man by name but was really a starter.
2) Jamal Crawford? Maybe defensively but ever other aspect, Harden blows Jamal out of the water.. IDK what kind of comparison that is. Harden is closer to Jordan than he is to Jamal... Jamal is a volume scorer and that's it.
3) Hope you realize Harden is a 4x All-star and 2x All-NBA first team and finished 2nd in MVP voting last season.. That's an elite player right there. Don't compare him to a sixth-man lol..
4) James Harden is the perfect guy to come off the bench? He's a top ten player, best SG.. What the hell do you mean he should come off the bench. He was a top five player as recent as last year.

Laker Legend42
07-11-2016, 02:25 AM
1) He was a backup because we had drafted Jeff Green -- who was very good at that time. Better than Harden was. We initially wanted to keep Green but Harden's game complimented us better. After Green was gone, Harden still came off the bench but was playing starter minutes.. so he was sixth-man by name but was really a starter.
2) Jamal Crawford? Maybe defensively but ever other aspect, Harden blows Jamal out of the water.. IDK what kind of comparison that is. Harden is closer to Jordan than he is to Jamal... Jamal is a volume scorer and that's it.
3) Hope you realize Harden is a 4x All-star and 2x All-NBA first team and finished 2nd in MVP voting last season.. That's an elite player right there. Don't compare him to a sixth-man lol..
4) James Harden is the perfect guy to come off the bench? He's a top ten player, best SG.. What the hell do you mean he should come off the bench. He was a top five player as recent as last year.
It's just an opinion. I just see him as a better version of Jamal Crawford. I think James Harden"s main goal is to score. You don't think that's always a bad thing I just think this last season he did it too much. After not winning the MVP award he said he was he real MVP and he would show everyone. I think his overall game took a few steps back last season which I think put clay at the top of the Sg list. I think it's not because of what clay is doing but more because the of what James harden is not doing. I didn't feel this way until last season. To me he plays more like a 6th man/spark off the bench. He doesn't remind me of Kobe. No need to mention him with Jordan.

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 02:46 AM
It's just an opinion. I just see him as a better version of Jamal Crawford. I think James Harden"s main goal is to score. You don't think that's always a bad thing I just think this last season he did it too much. After not winning the MVP award he said he was he real MVP and he would show everyone. I think his overall game took a few steps back last season which I think put clay at the top of the Sg list. I think it's not because of what clay is doing but more because the of what James harden is not doing. I didn't feel this way until last season. To me he plays more like a 6th man/spark off the bench. He doesn't remind me of Kobe. No need to mention him with Jordan.

Who reminds you of Kobe in the SG department? Klay? Butler? DeRozan? He's better than all of them. He does much more than just score.. so the comparison with Jamal Crawford is laughable. 29/6/8 for a SG is very impressive and that was a DOWN season for Harden. PER of 25 is much more than just a scorer. Bench player is complete disrespect.. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Laker Legend42
07-11-2016, 03:39 AM
Who reminds you of Kobe in the SG department? Klay? Butler? DeRozan? He's better than all of them. He does much more than just score.. so the comparison with Jamal Crawford is laughable. 29/6/8 for a SG is very impressive and that was a DOWN season for Harden. PER of 25 is much more than just a scorer. Bench player is complete disrespect.. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. The comparison is not in the numbers. I will say James a Hardens ability to create for himself is something golden state was missing against the Cavs and clay can't do. However,that's all he seemed to do all year.thats why I say he plays like the spark off the bench.

kingsdelez24
07-11-2016, 08:07 AM

His team had Ty Lawson who was fresh off from being among the nba assist leaders. Off court troubles or not, he didn't work out in Houston because Harden had the ball too much when Lawson was on the floor

Harden is a glorified volume player with neat advanced offensive metrics at best. And also, no matter how good of an inflated performance he'll have, he still only plays one end of the floor whoch make him a liability. His teams best performances in the playoffs came hy the hands of Corey Brewer, Dwight Howard, and Josh Smith ffs while he was on the bench

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Wow.... I get the hate for Harden. I do. He's not an especially likable guy unless you're a Rockets fan. But this is beyond ridiculous. The man does literally everything for this basketball team and is unquestionably a top 10 player in the league, yet you're basically insinuating that he's a 6th man. How many 6th man candidates in the history of the league are capable of putting up 29/7/6? I'll go ahead and tell you. It's zero. Because the only other players to accomplish that feat were Jordan, Lebron and Oscar Robertson. And how many 6th man candidates regularly take over games for their team offensively for long stretches and regularly take and hit game-winning or game-tying shots.

Seriously, this post is just ignorant and borderline disrespectful. If you don't like the guy, fine. But the hate has gone way too far.

1) Lack of leadership.
2) Lack of defensive intensity.
3) Lack of wanting to win (rarely see him look like he gives a damn).

Top 10 player but did you watch the playoffs? Looked like he didn't care.
1. People overrate this aspect of professional sports way too much. You can lead your team by example without being a super vocal guy. Do I wish he was a little more hands-on with his approach to the team sometimes? Sure. But he's actually taken a pretty big leadership role in this offseason. There's a feeling in Houston that Pringles was Harden's guy, and that he was instrumental in bringing in Anderson and Gordon.

2. The guy doesn't play good defense every minute he's on the court. That's not a secret, and I'm not denying it. But he can play very good man to man defense in clutch moments when he needs to. And he actually played very solid, arguably above average defense two years ago. But here's the thing that gets me: There have been a LOT of superstars throughout history that don't play good defense. Off the top of my head, there's Nash, Magic, Gervin, Iverson, Barry, Reggie, etc. And those guys didn't catch half the flack for it that Harden does. Hell, did you watch Curry in the playoffs? He was a freaking scarecrow on the defensive end, but I don't see PSD up in arms over how awful he was defensively.

3. And this is just pure nonsense. All he's done in the playoffs the last two years is put up something like 27/8/5. He's certainly had his fair share of underwhelming games, as all stars do (again, I'll bring up Curry's subpar performance this past postseason). But he also has had some very, very big games and moments. I'll just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqhV_Q4Gl8E

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 08:28 AM
His team had Ty Lawson who was fresh off from being among the nba assist leaders. Off court troubles or not, he didn't work out in Houston because Harden had the ball too much when Lawson was on the floor
Really? You're going to blame Lawson's awful play on Harden, too? The next time I hit my shin on the coffee table or trip over something in my living room, I think I'll blame Harden for that as well. Seriously, Lawson was a freaking trainwreck of a basketball player last season. You can blame Harden all you want, but when Lawson had the ball in his hands, he didn't do anything with it. It didn't matter if Harden was on the court (and often he wasn't, as Lawson played a good chunk of his minutes with Harden on the bench), the guy just sucked.

And he wasn't substantially better in Indiana either. The guy went from a -5.1 BPM in Houston to a -2.2 BPM with the Pacers. Either way, he was just an awful professional basketball player last season. One of the worst in the league. And there is no freaking way you can pin that on Harden.

Harden is a glorified volume player with neat advanced offensive metrics at best. And also, no matter how good of an inflated performance he'll have, he still only plays one end of the floor whoch make him a liability. His teams best performances in the playoffs came hy the hands of Corey Brewer, Dwight Howard, and Josh Smith ffs while he was on the bench
lol. No he's not. He averaged 29 points last season on fewer than 20 shots per game. Over the course of his career, he's consistently posted a 3/2 FGM/FGA ratio, which is about as far from a "volume scorer" as you can possibly get. And everybody conveniently wants to bring up that one Clippers game, which was a total fluke. The bench gelled for a good 8-10 minute stretch and couldn't miss, and everyone acts like it somehow diminishes Harden's performance over the course of that postseason. Nobody wants to talk about his 42-point performance against Dallas, or his 38-point and 45-point performances against Golden State, the latter of which was in an elimination game.

All Harden did in the playoffs that year was put up 27/8/6/2 on .439/.383/.916 shooting percentages. But all anybody wants to talk about are this two worst performances of what was a pretty stellar overall 17-game postseason run.

Tony_Starks
07-11-2016, 09:03 AM
He's your franchise guy for better or worse, smart move to lock him up.

You're not winning a chip with him as "the guy" though.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 09:21 AM
He's your franchise guy for better or worse, smart move to lock him up.

You're not winning a chip with him as "the guy" though.
This has been said about a lot of players over the years, with Melo certainly coming to mind. I don't necessarily think it's a fair criticism. If you put the right players around anybody in the right circumstances, I think they can win a title. Give James the supporting cast that Curry has had in Golden State the last couple of years, and I think that team certainly could have won a championship.

Now the odds are definitely stacked against him winning a title as "the guy" in Houston, and I definitely wouldn't bet on it. But that could be said for pretty much every player in the league right now that doesn't play in Golden State or Cleveland. Winning a championship is hard, and stars rarely win titles as the only star player on their rosters. Does anyone think Westbrook is going to win a championship as "the guy" in OKC? Or what about Lillard in Portland, George in Indiana or Cousins in Sacramento?

Scoots
07-11-2016, 11:10 AM
I wish we didn't have to have the same debate every time Harden comes up.

Tony_Starks
07-11-2016, 11:53 AM
This has been said about a lot of players over the years, with Melo certainly coming to mind. I don't necessarily think it's a fair criticism. If you put the right players around anybody in the right circumstances, I think they can win a title. Give James the supporting cast that Curry has had in Golden State the last couple of years, and I think that team certainly could have won a championship.

Now the odds are definitely stacked against him winning a title as "the guy" in Houston, and I definitely wouldn't bet on it. But that could be said for pretty much every player in the league right now that doesn't play in Golden State or Cleveland. Winning a championship is hard, and stars rarely win titles as the only star player on their rosters. Does anyone think Westbrook is going to win a championship as "the guy" in OKC? Or what about Lillard in Portland, George in Indiana or Cousins in Sacramento?

Well technically Dwight was supposed to the be 1-2 supporting cast punch to make Houston elite. I believe you yourself even dared to predict Kobe/ Shaq comparisons.

Although most of us didn't believe the hype are we not supposed to blame Harden at least partially for having Dwight relegated to setting screens and rebounding?

Vee-Rex
07-11-2016, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure why people argue if he's a top 10 player or not. I can name 10 players I'd rather have right now than Harden but I can barely do that:

KD
Steph
Bron
Kawhi
AD
KAT
CP3
BG
PG
Westbrook

So Harden is a borderline top 10 player IMO.

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Wow.... I get the hate for Harden. I do. He's not an especially likable guy unless you're a Rockets fan. But this is beyond ridiculous. The man does literally everything for this basketball team and is unquestionably a top 10 player in the league, yet you're basically insinuating that he's a 6th man. How many 6th man candidates in the history of the league are capable of putting up 29/7/6? I'll go ahead and tell you. It's zero. Because the only other players to accomplish that feat were Jordan, Lebron and Oscar Robertson. And how many 6th man candidates regularly take over games for their team offensively for long stretches and regularly take and hit game-winning or game-tying shots.

Seriously, this post is just ignorant and borderline disrespectful. If you don't like the guy, fine. But the hate has gone way too far.

1. People overrate this aspect of professional sports way too much. You can lead your team by example without being a super vocal guy. Do I wish he was a little more hands-on with his approach to the team sometimes? Sure. But he's actually taken a pretty big leadership role in this offseason. There's a feeling in Houston that Pringles was Harden's guy, and that he was instrumental in bringing in Anderson and Gordon.

2. The guy doesn't play good defense every minute he's on the court. That's not a secret, and I'm not denying it. But he can play very good man to man defense in clutch moments when he needs to. And he actually played very solid, arguably above average defense two years ago. But here's the thing that gets me: There have been a LOT of superstars throughout history that don't play good defense. Off the top of my head, there's Nash, Magic, Gervin, Iverson, Barry, Reggie, etc. And those guys didn't catch half the flack for it that Harden does. Hell, did you watch Curry in the playoffs? He was a freaking scarecrow on the defensive end, but I don't see PSD up in arms over how awful he was defensively.

3. And this is just pure nonsense. All he's done in the playoffs the last two years is put up something like 27/8/5. He's certainly had his fair share of underwhelming games, as all stars do (again, I'll bring up Curry's subpar performance this past postseason). But he also has had some very, very big games and moments. I'll just leave this here:

1) Sorry but a leader has to lead by example and vocally. Harden does neither. Unless you think dribbling the ball over and over for twenty seconds and then shooting a stepback three is showing by example, I'm not sure what that is. He doesn't lead by defense and his team has been openly frustrated with him in regards to that. I'm actually glad you posted that video.. it shows exactly how bad of a leader he is. Only Clint Capella looked happy that Harden made that shot. Everyone else just didn't want to be there. Could you imagine a star player like Curry/LeBron's teammates not being ecstatic after a playoff gamewinner?
2) You can't possibly expect us to randomly blame retired players for their bad defense. Harden is playing now and he's getting exposed nearly every game for falling asleep.
3) He didn't play well vs the Warriors. His points are off volume scoring and he was fairly inefficient in both series against the Warriors. They should have won more than one game against the Warriors with Curry being out.. they looked like they quit and I blame Harden for not being a leader and making terrible decisions. Almost looked like he never wanted to pass to Dwight on purpose.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Well technically Dwight was supposed to the be 1-2 supporting cast punch to make Houston elite. I believe you yourself even dared to predict Kobe/ Shaq comparisons.

Although most of us didn't believe the hype are we not supposed to blame Harden at least partially for having Dwight relegated to setting screens and rebounding?
I'd have to go back, but I'd like to think I have more sense than to compare Harden/Howard to Kobe/Shaq. As good as Harden has been the last few years, Howard was already on the decline and was far removed from Shaq. I think the problem is that Howard didn't buy into what the Rockets wanted him to do as a team offensively.

This wasn't Harden saying "I'm not going to give you the ball unless you run the pick and roll." This was management telling him, "This is how we want to play basketball offensively. Either do it or don't." It's pretty clear in hindsight that Howard was not the ideal big man Rockets fans hoped he would be. It was great to look at his athleticism and say "Man, he's going to be a great pick and roll partner!" But the guy didn't like setting screens and hated running the pick and roll. He wanted the ball in the low post, where he could dribble 10 times and then either brick a jump hook, turn it over on the double team or get fouled and then miss the free throws.

Does Harden deserve some of the blame for the duo not working out? Sure. But not nearly as much as the media would like to give him. Howard was asked to play into the system, and he didn't want to do it. I wish Howard no ill will and hope he succeeds in Atlanta, because he seems like a genuinely good dude who did a lot for the city of Houston in his time here. But when I remember his time here 10-20 years from now, I won't remember this as James' failure. I'll remember this as his failure.

Chronz
07-11-2016, 12:05 PM
I wish we didn't have to have the same debate every time Harden comes up.

Him being a guy that should remain an off the bench guy is totally new

Laker Legend42
07-11-2016, 12:26 PM

I don't hate Harden. Most of my opinion is based off of last season. I don't think you can file last season as a "down year". At times he seemed to flat out not care. I think he concearned himself with the wrong things like having Dwight traded and Kevin Mcchale fired. It seems that any force that was gonna get in the way of him scoring had to go. It seems that on most nights scoring was his top priority. It also looked like his teammates didn't enjoy it either. It was said that the Houston Rockets were at the forefront of analytics. One thing the numbers can't tell you is how a group of guys will get along. When it's all said and done I think James harden will go down as one of the greatest 6th men to ever do it.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 12:38 PM
I don't hate Harden. Most of my opinion is based off of last season. I don't think you can file last season as a "down year". At times he seemed to flat out not care. I think he concearned himself with the wrong things like having Dwight traded and Kevin Mcchale fired. It seems that any force that was gonna get in the way of him scoring had to go. It seems that on most nights scoring was his top priority. It also looked like his teammates didn't enjoy it either. It was said that the Houston Rockets were at the forefront of analytics. One thing the numbers can't tell you is how a group of guys will get along. When it's all said and done I think James harden will go down as one of the greatest 6th men to ever do it.
But he's clearly far, far more talented than a 6th man. It's one thing to say that he should be a No. 2 somewhere, but it's completely asinine to think he should be coming off the bench.

As far as his demeanor last season, I thought the whole team looked and played like they didn't enjoy themselves. And the funny thing is that, for a team and a GM that has been criticized so much for ignoring chemistry, this was supposed to be the group that enjoyed playing with each other and had good chemistry. This is the same team that gelled so well together a year ago. But something was just off, and everybody was a little bit worse because of it.

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 12:42 PM
In what world do you think a top ten player this season, top five player last season and 2nd in MVP voting, the best SG for three years in a row, and someone who averages 29/6/7 should be a sixth man coming off the bench? Do you realize how stupid that would be for the Rockets?

Laker Legend42
07-11-2016, 03:05 PM
In what world do you think a top ten player this season, top five player last season and 2nd in MVP voting, the best SG for three years in a row, and someone who averages 29/6/7 should be a sixth man coming off the bench? Do you realize how stupid that would be for the Rockets?

I didn't say the rockets should make him their 6th man. I think when it's all said and done that's where he'll make his mark. I actually thought the rockets should have traded him. Again I'm not knocking his numbers. I just think the way he played last season rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I think it was wrong for the rockets to bring in a point guard like Ty Lawson and pair him with a ball dominant guard like Harden.mthats more of a Rockets issue than a Harden issue. You knew what you had.

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 03:51 PM

Havlicek put up 28.9, 9 and 7.5 one season without the 3-point shot. He also made the all defensive 1st team 5 times. And he was a sixth man for quite a few years.

Just so you know

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 05:00 PM
Havlicek put up 28.9, 9 and 7.5 one season without the 3-point shot. He also made the all defensive 1st team 5 times. And he was a sixth man for quite a few years.

Just so you know
I'm fully aware of that, but that doesn't mean he was best suited for the role of 6th man, chief. A lot of guys have played 6th man over the course of their careers. Hell, Kevin McHale and Bill Walton both won 6th Man of the Year awards, but they're not remembered for being bench guys. And nobody in their right minds would suggest they would have been better suited for the bench at the peak of their careers.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm sure the Harden haters will find a way to hate on him for this, too, but he wrote an open letter to Rockets fans that was released today:

Dear Red Nation:

Saturday was a big day for all of us who love the Rockets.

I feel so honored to be able to extend my basketball career in this great City which I now call home. I can't thank Mr. Alexander enough for the faith in me and the incredible support my family and I feel from the organization and our fans.

From the first day I arrived you embraced me as your own. Your support has helped me grow so much as a player and as a man - from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

I can assure you our Team will work hard together, grow together, build together, compete together, and pursue our ultimate goal - another Championship for H-Town - together!

There will be challenges along the way but we will continue to fight. Everyone in the organization is locked in on the same goal.

We are not a "super-team," but just a group of guys that want to work hard to be the very best. And our work begins immediately.

We look forward to taking this incredible journey with all of you!

With much love and great respect,
James Harden

It probably doesn't seem like much, but I'm proud of the guy for stepping up this offseason and acting like a leader. And for a city that has lost so many superstars for various reasons over the last few years, the signing on Saturday followed up by this letter actually means a lot to us. This is the James Harden I want leading the Rockets, and I hope this is the guy who shows up on opening night in October.

andy2518
07-11-2016, 05:07 PM

Just so you know

Those numbers would look more like 24, 7, and 5. (Still very respectable) when you account for extra possessions and minutes played compared to back when Hondo played. Then account for more athletic players and zone defenses and what would him numbers be now lol.

Vee-Rex
07-11-2016, 05:31 PM
I'm sure the Harden haters will find a way to hate on him for this, too, but he wrote an open letter to Rockets fans that was released today:

Dear Red Nation:

I feel so honored to be able to extend my basketball career in this great City which I now call home. I can't thank Mr. Alexander enough for the faith in me and the incredible support my family and I feel from the organization and our fans.

From the first day I arrived you embraced me as your own. Your support has helped me grow so much as a player and as a man - from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

I can assure you our Team will work hard together, grow together, build together, compete together, and pursue our ultimate goal - another Championship for H-Town - together!

There will be challenges along the way but we will continue to fight. Everyone in the organization is locked in on the same goal.

We are not a "super-team," but just a group of guys that want to work hard to be the very best. And our work begins immediately.

James Harden

It probably doesn't seem like much, but I'm proud of the guy for stepping up this offseason and acting like a leader. And for a city that has lost so many superstars for various reasons over the last few years, the signing on Saturday followed up by this letter actually means a lot to us. This is the James Harden I want leading the Rockets, and I hope this is the guy who shows up on opening night in October.

Cool to see that. I'm rooting for Harden and you guys next season.

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 05:42 PM
I'm fully aware of that, but that doesn't mean he was best suited for the role of 6th man, chief. A lot of guys have played 6th man over the course of their careers. Hell, Kevin McHale and Bill Walton both won 6th Man of the Year awards, but they're not remembered for being bench guys. And nobody in their right minds would suggest they would have been better suited for the bench at the peak of their careers.

Yeah, he was a bad fit. They only won Titles with Havvs as their sixth man

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Those numbers would look more like 24, 7, and 5. (Still very respectable) when you account for extra possessions and minutes played compared to back when Hondo played. Then account for more athletic players and zone defenses and what would him numbers be now lol.

How about being tackled from behind when going in for a layup and just getting two FTs.

Don't try to compare eras, junior.

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 05:51 PM

Smart coaches make smart moves

Saddletramp
07-11-2016, 06:10 PM

Dear Red Nation:

James Harden

Classy. I'm sure dopes on here will find something to complain about, though.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Yeah, he was a bad fit. They only won Titles with Havvs as their sixth man

But that was only because he was behind Sam Jones on the depth chart of arguably the most stacked team in NBA history. And once that era ended, he rightfully became a starter and was pretty much the heart of that Boston offense in the early-to-mid '70s. He wasn't a 6th man because it was the role he was best suited to. He played it because the roster was stacked and that was the role he was asked to play. But he clearly put up better numbers as a starter and proved he was more than up to the task of starting.

So, again, bad example.

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 06:36 PM
But that was only because he was behind Sam Jones on the depth chart of arguably the most stacked team in NBA history. And once that era ended, he rightfully became a starter and was pretty much the heart of that Boston offense in the early-to-mid '70s. He wasn't a 6th man because it was the role he was best suited to. He played it because the roster was stacked and that was the role he was asked to play. But he clearly put up better numbers as a starter and proved he was more than up to the task of starting.

So, again, bad example.

Kid, it ain't about numbers, it's about winning.

And Havlicek played SF for Russell's Celts.

Gibby23
07-11-2016, 06:42 PM

Who in the hell do you think would start in place of Harden on the Rockets? Or on most NBA teams? lol. The Celtics back then could have brought all 5 starters off the bench and won the championship, they had most of the best players and there were like 11 teams. lol

lol, please
07-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Classy. I'm sure dopes on here will find something to complain about, though.

I mean, it was a classy gesture, at the same time, I also would consider it a bit more classy if he didn't include a super team shot which we all knew who was for.

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 07:13 PM
Who in the hell do you think would start in place of Harden on the Rockets? Or on most NBA teams? lol. The Celtics back then could have brought all 5 starters off the bench and won the championship, they had most of the best players and there were like 11 teams. lol

If Harden weren't there, I'm betting Rockets would still put 5 players on the court at the start of the game.

Celtics had great teams the were coached well.

What does any of this have to do with James 'Cancer' Harden?

LaLa_Land
07-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Harden is fun to watch. Both for the good, and the bad.

Awesome individual talent. But one of the more mysterious questions in the entire league is "what kind of supporting cast - if any - can James Harden legitimately contend with?"

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Harden is fun to watch. Both for the good, and the bad.

Awesome individual talent. But one of the more mysterious questions in the entire league is "what kind of supporting cast - if any - can James Harden legitimately contend with?"

Kinda like the Iverson question.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 08:41 PM

It's a moot point. Hondo didn't come off the bench because it's what best suited his game. He did it because it was what's best suited for the team, just as Harden did in OKC. But in both cases, as soon as the team makeups they played for changed, they moved over to a starting role, which made far more sense given their levels of talent. Seriously, this isn't rocket science, chief. Talented players get more minutes and are more likely to start.

I know you're determined to play devil's advocate here, but you really have no leg to stand on. Harden absolutely, positively would be starting for pretty much every single team in the league right now except for maybe a couple where it would only make sense for him to play 6th man from a fit standpoint.

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 08:52 PM
It's a moot point. Hondo didn't come off the bench because it's what best suited his game. He did it because it was what's best suited for the team, just as Harden did in OKC. But in both cases, as soon as the team makeups they played for changed, they moved over to a starting role, which made far more sense given their levels of talent. Seriously, this isn't rocket science, chief. Talented players get more minutes and are more likely to start.

I know you're determined to play devil's advocate here, but you really have no leg to stand on. Harden absolutely, positively would be starting for pretty much every single team in the league right now except for maybe a couple where it would only make sense for him to play 6th man from a fit standpoint.

Stats were thrown at me, I threw some back.

The question isn't whether Harden is a starter or not. It's a question of whether Rockets paid for extended cancer.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Stats were thrown at me, I threw some back.

The question isn't whether Harden is a starter or not. It's a question of whether Rockets paid for extended cancer.
And you've provided literally zero context or fact to back up your point. So really we're going in circles, here. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, let's just leave this debate alone. Clearly you're not going to say anything of value, and I'm not going to waste my time trying to argue with someone who has no clue how an argument is supposed to work.

TheMightyHumph
07-12-2016, 01:26 AM
And you've provided literally zero context or fact to back up your point. So really we're going in circles, here. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, let's just leave this debate alone. Clearly you're not going to say anything of value, and I'm not going to waste my time trying to argue with someone who has no clue how an argument is supposed to work.

Words are words. Stats are stats.

My judgement of JH's cancerous play is based on watching him, his team, his teammates and his unbelievable self-serving attitude.

Am I getting my point across?

Saddletramp
07-12-2016, 04:31 AM
MBT, don't waste your time with this Humph guy. Just awful.

Saddletramp
07-12-2016, 04:38 AM
I mean, it was a classy gesture, at the same time, I also would consider it a bit more classy if he didn't include a super team shot which we all knew who was for.

I knew you'd take offense. It might just be his way of saying that although some other teams look really good right now, they are still building something special in Houston and anything can happen but it'll be a hard road. Or he's saying that with this move he's not running to a stacked team to coattail ride to a title all while saying it's the "hardest road".

Tony_Starks
07-12-2016, 11:44 AM
For all the holes in his game, with Harden as "the guy" your team will at least be competitive. He is great enough to almost singlehandedly win you some games.

That whole "we're not a super team" line is pretty corny though, considering he recruited KD....Bosh when he was a FA...Melo...Dwight... basically any big name that hits free agency.

So they're not a Superteam but it's not from lack of effort on his part.

mightybosstone
07-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Words are words. Stats are stats.

My judgement of JH's cancerous play is based on watching him, his team, his teammates and his unbelievable self-serving attitude.

Am I getting my point across?
No. Because you haven't made a point. All you've done is provided an opinion with no context or fact to back it up whatsoever. I'm done debating with you at this point. You clearly have an opinion, and you're entitled to that opinion. But I have no desire to argue with someone who isn't willing to debate facts.

TheMightyHumph
07-12-2016, 02:10 PM
No. Because you haven't made a point. All you've done is provided an opinion with no context or fact to back it up whatsoever. I'm done debating with you at this point. You clearly have an opinion, and you're entitled to that opinion. But I have no desire to argue with someone who isn't willing to debate facts.

These are all opinions. You've got no facts, only stats and prejudices.

mightybosstone
07-12-2016, 02:22 PM
These are all opinions. You've got no facts, only stats and prejudices.
It's facts used to back up an opinion. I'm a journalist. And as a journalist, I have to go into a story trying to make a specific point. In order to do so, I provide facts and context to make that point. Debating sports is no different. You're using stats and facts and context to back up whatever point it is you're trying to make. That's how debate is supposed to work, whether you're debating sports or politics or pop culture or whatever. You don't just throw opinions at one another and say, "I believe this to be true because I just do." It doesn't work that way.

If you're too dense to understand this concept, then I believe you and I can both move on. Let's not waste each other's time.

TheMightyHumph
07-12-2016, 02:34 PM
It's facts used to back up an opinion. I'm a journalist. And as a journalist, I have to go into a story trying to make a specific point. In order to do so, I provide facts and context to make that point. Debating sports is no different. You're using stats and facts and context to back up whatever point it is you're trying to make. That's how debate is supposed to work, whether you're debating sports or politics or pop culture or whatever. You don't just throw opinions at one another and say, "I believe this to be true because I just do." It doesn't work that way.

If you're too dense to understand this concept, then I believe you and I can both move on. Let's not waste each other's time.

Journalists are the least likely people to state facts. Good journalists generally excel at 'spin'.

I didn't come in here to 'debate', which is the ultimate form of 'spin'. I post in here just to express my opinion.

Saddletramp
07-12-2016, 02:39 PM
For all the holes in his game, with Harden as "the guy" your team will at least be competitive. He is great enough to almost singlehandedly win you some games.

That whole "we're not a super team" line is pretty corny though, considering he recruited KD....Bosh when he was a FA...Melo...Dwight... basically any big name that hits free agency.

So they're not a Superteam but it's not from lack of effort on his part.

That was not a super team when Dwight signed. This would not be a super team if KD signed here this year. Two top guys and role players do not a super team make. They'd be less (probably) then what KD just ran away from.

IF Bosh or Melo would have signed a few years back and the starting five was Bev/Harden/Parsons/Bosh or Melo/Deight then that probably woulda been considered super although honestly, Dwight probably wouldn't play much better, Parsons is injury prone and more talk than substance and I'm not sure they'd all mesh well. Coulda been champs or coulda been chokers.

mightybosstone
07-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Journalists are the least likely people to state facts. Good journalists generally excel at 'spin'.
That's not remotely what a "good" journalist does. A food writer merely presents the facts and tries to stay as balanced as possible.That's basically all I do. We won't let stories go to press if we think they're "spun" in a particular way.

I didn't come in here to 'debate', which is the ultimate form of 'spin'. I post in here just to express my opinion.
Good to know. I'll know not to pay attention to your posts from now on and simply not respond, because you'll have no clue how to reply.

TheMightyHumph
07-13-2016, 01:43 PM
That's not remotely what a "good" journalist does. A food writer merely presents the facts and tries to stay as balanced as possible.That's basically all I do. We won't let stories go to press if we think they're "spun" in a particular way.

Good to know. I'll know not to pay attention to your posts from now on and simply not respond, because you'll have no clue how to reply.

Do what you must, spin-man.

mightybosstone
07-13-2016, 04:01 PM

I should have recognized a troll when you first started spewing your nonsense pages ago. That's my fault. Suffice it to say that will not be happening again, my friend.

Vampirate
07-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Unless Harden commits to actually playing defense, the Rockets will not win the championship with him as the main man.

mightybosstone
07-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Unless Harden commits to actually playing defense, the Rockets will not win the championship with him as the main man.
That's hardly the only thing keeping the Rockets from winning the championship, man. They're not remotely in the same conversation as the Warriors or Spurs right now in terms of talent. Barring those teams collapsing or a major personnel acquisition by the Rockets front office, Harden could be an All-Defensive player next year, and Houston still won't come close to winning a title.

TheMightyHumph
07-13-2016, 04:45 PM
I should have recognized a troll when you first started spewing your nonsense pages ago. That's my fault. Suffice it to say that will not be happening again, my friend.

As I said, do what you must, spin-man

Htownballa1622
07-13-2016, 05:23 PM

Great post :rolleyes:

As I said, do what you must, spin-man

You did say that right up there^^^.

I don't know what's worse. The initial post or the fact that you repeated the same post. Quit wasting people's time if you're going to post like that. :cool:

mightybosstone
07-13-2016, 05:48 PM

I don't know what's worse. The initial post or the fact that you repeated the same post. Quit wasting people's time if you're going to post like that. :cool:

Classic troll technique. Rarely says anything of substance, says blatantly derogatory and ignorant things to get under your skin, repeats the same tired points and insults, and has to get the last word in. It's cool, though. I've decided to be a little bit more liberal with ignore list from now on, and this guy was the first of many posters whose opinions I just have no desire to read anymore.

TheMightyHumph
07-13-2016, 05:59 PM

I'll respond as I wish to.

I do think you're reply is pretty dumb

Htownballa1622
07-13-2016, 11:10 PM
Classic troll technique. Rarely says anything of substance, says blatantly derogatory and ignorant things to get under your skin, repeats the same tired points and insults, and has to get the last word in. It's cool, though. I've decided to be a little bit more liberal with ignore list from now on, and this guy was the first of many posters whose opinions I just have no desire to read anymore.
I hear ya. I just felt the need to chime in because you deal with a lot around here having to defend our squad. I know it gets tiring and u don't need backup but his post was very pointless. As is my response lol.

I'll respond as I wish to.

I do think you're reply is pretty dumb

The irony in this post :laugh2:

Don't go back and edit *your. ;)

TheMightyHumph
07-14-2016, 12:31 AM
I hear ya. I just felt the need to chime in because you deal with a lot around here having to defend our squad. I know it gets tiring and u don't need backup but his post was very pointless. As is my response lol.

The irony in this post :laugh2:

Don't go back and edit *your. ;)

I won't