PDA

View Full Version : Warriors face of the franchise: Curry or Durant?

HandsOnTheWheel
07-08-2016, 04:07 AM
It's a lot closer than people may think.

Opinions?

europagnpilgrim
07-08-2016, 04:36 AM
Its Curry

Durant Is co-star by default by him coming to Curry's team

I say this because Curry was drafted by the team, won back to back MVP's/Finals trips with the team and a ship with the team that drafted him and now Durant is coming to his house where he has a king size room in the Curry mansion

its similar to Lebron joining Wade, it was always Wade's team even when he took a backseat to Lebron since he came to his house, well his former house now since he bolted for the Bulls

its nothing wrong with being a co star, both usually shine bright

its nice to have the 2014-16' regular season MVP's on the same roster basically at the same age of 27, that's unheard of

but if someone wanted to give Durant the face title based on seniority than its no biggie to me

breakbad
07-08-2016, 06:38 AM
I think they're now gonna cancel each other out of the MVP race, so who wins it? Doubt the Thunder will be high enough in the seedings for Westy to win it. LeBron AGAIN? Paul George maybe?
I just hope not LeBron again. Ugh. haha

da ThRONe
07-08-2016, 06:43 AM
It's not close and that's why a lot of people have a problem with Durant's decision.

tredigs
07-08-2016, 09:57 AM
It would only be a question worth asking if they were both free agents and joined another team like the Lakers at the same time.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2016, 10:10 AM
If Durant gets a vote, that person should be shot.

Tony_Starks
07-08-2016, 10:18 AM
They don't care.

hugepatsfan
07-08-2016, 10:28 AM
I think they're now gonna cancel each other out of the MVP race, so who wins it? Doubt the Thunder will be high enough in the seedings for Westy to win it. LeBron AGAIN? Paul George maybe?
I just hope not LeBron again. Ugh. haha

Isaiah Thomas :D

Tony_Starks
07-08-2016, 10:29 AM
LeBron James doesn't expect MVP in '11

MIAMI -- LeBron James isn't expecting to win a third Most Valuable Player Award this season and he's not expecting to pass the honor to teammate Dwyane Wade, either.

James, Wade and the Heat are thriving and both have been regulars in the top of the MVP voting for the last five years. James took the honor in 2009 and '10. But James believes with their overall numbers down and the overall strength of the Heat that neither he nor Wade will win it this year.

"When we decided to come together our Most Valuable Player chances kind of went out the window," James said before the Heat played the Golden State Warriors Saturday.

"I think they classify it as an individual award. They look at it like the less help you have, the more numbers you have then the better chance for you to win that award."

Usually, being on an elite team is a prerequisite for winning the league's top individual award. Moses Malone was the last MVP from a team with less than 50 wins in 1982. Statistics, however, do play a significant role.

With minutes and shots down and sharing up, Wade and James' stats have taken a dip. James is averaging 24.4 points, down from last season when he was second in the league in scoring at 29.7 a game. Wade is averaging 24.5 points, his lowest total since the 2004-05 season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=5979029

tredigs
07-08-2016, 10:37 AM
LeBron James doesn't expect MVP in '11

MIAMI -- LeBron James isn't expecting to win a third Most Valuable Player Award this season and he's not expecting to pass the honor to teammate Dwyane Wade, either.

James, Wade and the Heat are thriving and both have been regulars in the top of the MVP voting for the last five years. James took the honor in 2009 and '10. But James believes with their overall numbers down and the overall strength of the Heat that neither he nor Wade will win it this year.

"When we decided to come together our Most Valuable Player chances kind of went out the window," James said before the Heat played the Golden State Warriors Saturday.

"I think they classify it as an individual award. They look at it like the less help you have, the more numbers you have then the better chance for you to win that award."

Usually, being on an elite team is a prerequisite for winning the league's top individual award. Moses Malone was the last MVP from a team with less than 50 wins in 1982. Statistics, however, do play a significant role.

With minutes and shots down and sharing up, Wade and James' stats have taken a dip. James is averaging 24.4 points, down from last season when he was second in the league in scoring at 29.7 a game. Wade is averaging 24.5 points, his lowest total since the 2004-05 season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=5979029

Then he won 2 of 4 MVP's.

Tony_Starks
07-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Then he won 2 of 4 MVP's.

Indeed, but my point is he openly acknowledged at the time that by playing with another great player they were hurting their chances of MVP because each of them now had more "help" and that apparently he didn't care, it was all about the championships.

I'm pretty sure KD and Curry feel the same way.

BKLYNpigeon
07-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Doesn't matter, Splash Bro are very Unselfish players.

During the KD recruitment:

Curry told Durant in a text message that he could care less about who is the face of the franchise, who gets the most recognition or who sells the most shoes. The two-time NBA MVP also told Durant that if Durant won the MVP award again he would be in the front row of the press conference clapping for him. In closing, Curry’s message to Durant was that all he truly cared about was winning championships and he’d like to do that as his teammate.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/steph-curry-text-messages-kevin-durant/311304

Vee-Rex
07-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Curry is the face of the franchise.

However, I think there's a high chance that either Kawhi, LeBron, or Westbrook wins MVP next season.

smith&wesson
07-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Doesn't matter, Splash Bro are very Unselfish players.

During the KD recruitment:

Curry told Durant in a text message that he could care less about who is the face of the franchise, who gets the most recognition or who sells the most shoes. The two-time NBA MVP also told Durant that if Durant won the MVP award again he would be in the front row of the press conference clapping for him. In closing, Curry’s message to Durant was that all he truly cared about was winning championships and he’d like to do that as his teammate.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/steph-curry-text-messages-kevin-durant/311304

Its not about selfish play its more so about legacy. When they look back at the dynasty who will they remember as the corner stone?

Its obviously Curry. Durant just became Robyn and that's why people have an issue with his choice. He's a top 3 player and chose to play second fiddle and joined a team that won a ship already with out him.

He will be looked at as someone who rode coat tails rather than someone who came in and made a difference. How much of a difference can you make when the team already won a ship and 73 wins in a season with out you lol.

If I'm Steph Curry or any of the Warriors I would say all the right things to Durant too. I would say anything to get him to join because its just gonna be that much easier for them out west as they just eliminated OKC as a competitor out west. their only real competition is now the Spurs. really smart on their part if you ask me.

Scoots
07-08-2016, 11:49 AM
KD is probably not personable enough to take the gig from Curry. But Green is the real leader and gets just as much face time with the press as Curry.

Curry is the top selling product of the NBA right now and it's not likely to change next year.

JAZZNC
07-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Curry and its not even close.

BKLYNpigeon
07-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Its not about selfish play its more so about legacy. When they look back at the dynasty who will they remember as the corner stone?

Its obviously Curry. Durant just became Robyn and that's why people have an issue with his choice. He's a top 3 player and chose to play second fiddle and joined a team that won a ship already with out him.

He will be looked at as someone who rode coat tails rather than someone who came in and made a difference. How much of a difference can you make when the team already won a ship and 73 wins in a season with out you lol.

If I'm Steph Curry or any of the Warriors I would say all the right things to Durant too. I would say anything to get him to join because its just gonna be that much easier for them out west as they just eliminated OKC as a competitor out west. their only real competition is now the Spurs. really smart on their part if you ask me.

please stop it with that Legacy nonsense. In 10 years KD will be celebrated.

please always forget..

Wilt Chamberlain went LAL to play with Jerry West
Moses Malone went to go play with Dr. J
Charles Barkely left to PHX and then to HOU
Clyde Drexler went to HOU
Lebron to Miami

Magic never had to, he won a ring his rookie season with a great team.

Tony_Starks
07-08-2016, 12:06 PM
KD is probably not personable enough to take the gig from Curry. But Green is the real leader and gets just as much face time with the press as Curry.

Curry is the top selling product of the NBA right now and it's not likely to change next year.

The question is do you really think it matters? Maybe to us as fans and debaters but as far as they care Draymond or David West could be the leader as long as they get the rings.

hugepatsfan
07-08-2016, 12:23 PM

please always forget..

Lebron to Miami

None of those situations are comparable. It's not the playing with other great players that makes KD different. That's happened time and time again. What's different about KD is that he went to a team that was already the best. He just latched on. All of those teams you mentioned were guys teaming up but other than MIA none of them were ever even the best team on paper. Or if they were it was close. There was still competitive spirit alive in those. They were trying to beat someone. KD showed none of that. He just joined the team that was already stacked so he could guarantee himself a ring. He didn't team up to bear someone he teamed up with the someone.

da ThRONe
07-08-2016, 12:24 PM

please always forget..

Lebron to Miami

Durant's situation is unique because this core group are champions already and knock them out of the playoffs the year before to boot. So the coattail riding aspect is accurate. Whether that's the narrative 30 years from now who knows. Fans are way more knowledgeable if not smarter today than 30years ago so saying any rings KD wins won't be viewed as tainted in some way is premature.

What makes sports great is a certain level of competitiveness. It's is really a grey area as many took exception to LeBron joining the Heat. Personally I had no problems with the "Heatles", yet I think this is a total ***** move by Durant. So it's a matter of personal perspective (as things usually are). I feel like he really took not just an easier way to a title but the weakest path possible. It's one thing to create a great team IMO than to go off and join one.

hugepatsfan
07-08-2016, 12:43 PM
"There are some great teams out there. Let me team up with great players so we can compete with them and get rings."

"There are some great teams out there. Let me go join one of them so I can get a ring too."

Blows my mind how someone can't see how the 2nd statement there is totally *****ing out and the first one isn't really.

tredigs
07-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Its Curry

Durant Is co-star by default by him coming to Curry's team

I say this because Curry was drafted by the team, won back to back MVP's/Finals trips with the team and a ship with the team that drafted him and now Durant is coming to his house where he has a king size room in the Curry mansion

its similar to Lebron joining Wade, it was always Wade's team even when he took a backseat to Lebron since he came to his house, well his former house now since he bolted for the Bulls

its nothing wrong with being a co star, both usually shine bright

its nice to have the 2014-16' regular season MVP's on the same roster basically at the same age of 27, that's unheard of

but if someone wanted to give Durant the face title based on seniority than its no biggie to me

There's no seniority really even. He came into the league a little younger, but Curry is older than KD.

FlashBolt
07-08-2016, 01:01 PM

It probably will change next season. Lots of new jerseys to be had and I don't believe Curry will have a season like he did previously.

Wade's jersey
Durant's jersey
LeBron is always up there.
Curry will end up top five.
Westbrook might be traded.
Rose in the Knicks.

Scoots
07-08-2016, 01:05 PM
The question is do you really think it matters? Maybe to us as fans and debaters but as far as they care Draymond or David West could be the leader as long as they get the rings.

I certainly don't think it matters to me ... I HOPE it doesn't matter to the players.

Scoots
07-08-2016, 01:07 PM
It probably will change next season. Lots of new jerseys to be had and I don't believe Curry will have a season like he did previously.

Wade's jersey
Durant's jersey
LeBron is always up there.
Curry will end up top five.
Westbrook might be traded.
Rose in the Knicks.

I didn't say Curry's jersey was the top seller. I said Curry was the top selling product. The NBA markets individuals, and they have been pushing Curry pretty hard the last 2 years.

JasonJohnHorn
07-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Klay Thompson.

CardinalRed24
07-08-2016, 02:26 PM
As long as Curry is healthy, this is his team. No player coming to GS could change that right now. Or anytime soon. Not even KD.
Still, all that matters in winning championships. Nothing else

Tony_Starks
07-08-2016, 02:35 PM
I certainly don't think it matters to me ... I HOPE it doesn't matter to the players.

The way they play it won't. They all defer to each other.

I think they are about to be having fun like the Steve Nash Suns on speed.

Those games are about to shoot ratings through the roof. As big a issue as I had with Bron running for cover, watching him and Wade swarming the lanes and throwing each other lobs...plus Bosh switching everything on D and popping dagger 3's...was fun basketball to watch.

Bostonjorge
07-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Curry is the face.

KD is the next MVP.

Scoots
07-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Curry is the face.

KD is the next MVP.

And Klay doesn't care and Dray only cares if they don't win.

tredigs
07-08-2016, 04:02 PM
I didn't say Curry's jersey was the top seller. I said Curry was the top selling product. The NBA markets individuals, and they have been pushing Curry pretty hard the last 2 years.

It actually is the top seller though.

Monta is beast
07-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Its curry without a doubt. Most popular player in the nba, led us to our first chip in forever, 73 wins etc..its curry

Monta is beast
07-08-2016, 05:12 PM
In the end i think its gonna be like shaq-kobe...just based on who your asking

FlashBolt
07-09-2016, 03:39 AM

And they will stop pushing him after this NBA Finals. LeBron is the face of the NBA, still. He's their product. Curry won't be having another season like he just had with Durant coming in anyhow. Those points KD will be taking are coming off Curry's more-so than any player. Jerseys are very indicative of marketability, too.

FlashBolt
07-09-2016, 03:40 AM
In the end i think its gonna be like shaq-kobe...just based on who your asking

Yeah.. I don't think it's like that at all. Shaq was miles better than Kobe. Curry and KD are pretty even in retrospect.

europagnpilgrim
07-09-2016, 03:50 AM
There's no seniority really even. He came into the league a little younger, but Curry is older than KD.

I was basing it off of the actual number of years played in the league, not actual age wise because I said they are around the same age which I think is 27/28, but Durant is going on his 10th season which is more than Curry's 7th or so

to each they own though

More-Than-Most
07-09-2016, 03:54 AM
If Durant gets a vote, that person should be shot.

Agreed but did you hear what curry said? Before Durant made his decision curry told him.

According to a person who saw the text messages, Curry told Durant in a text message that he could care less about who is the face of the franchise, who gets the most recognition or who sells the most shoes (Curry is with Under Armour, Durant with Nike). The two-time NBA MVP also told Durant that if Durant won the MVP award again he would be in the front row of the press conference clapping for him. In closing, Curry's message to Durant was that all he truly cared about was winning championships and he'd like to do that as his teammate.

Just seems like begging to me. How can 1 be the face and be alright with taking a back seat? I get winning---->everything but name me one other best player in basketball that would ever take this approach? Kobe/Lebron/Jordan always ALWAYS wanted to be the face and be the best player period. Just seems like a I have 0 confidence we can beat the cavs and that I can perform in the finals at a high level can you please come save me type of move

FlashBolt
07-09-2016, 03:58 AM
Agreed but did you hear what curry said? Before Durant made his decision curry told him.

According to a person who saw the text messages, Curry told Durant in a text message that he could care less about who is the face of the franchise, who gets the most recognition or who sells the most shoes (Curry is with Under Armour, Durant with Nike). The two-time NBA MVP also told Durant that if Durant won the MVP award again he would be in the front row of the press conference clapping for him. In closing, Curry's message to Durant was that all he truly cared about was winning championships and he'd like to do that as his teammate.

Just seems like begging to me.

It's hard to blame Curry for doing this but it's important we don't portray this as something like what Wade did for LeBron in giving the reigns to him. Curry is still in his prime and the best player on this team. I also question his lack of competitiveness and leadership. It almost feels like these two are softies who need to team up together so they can beat up the big bad wolf who has made their NBA Finals experience BAD (LeBron James). I can't imagine how both of these guys are ruining their individual legacies when either can win a championship with their respective squads as well. At least with Wade, he was already on his downfall. Curry+Durant are #2/#3 in their primes at age 27-28. It just seems like they both want the easy way out.

lol, please
07-09-2016, 04:01 AM
Curry's team, always will be.

sent from my Note 5 on Tapatalk

FlashBolt
07-09-2016, 04:07 AM
When LeBron went to Miami, it was LeBron's team and I think he was the face of that franchise for those four seasons. Unless KD really separates himself from Curry in terms of playing ability or Curry gets hurt, this will always be Curry's team. What really annoys me is how KD probably won't break KAJ's scoring record now. I thought him and Bron had a fair shot at it but his PPG will take a 5-6 drop now.

GoferKing_
07-09-2016, 07:10 AM
Why is this a question? Can't they both be?

Saddletramp
07-10-2016, 04:16 AM
Why is this a question? Can't they both be?

How many faces do you have?

And it's Curry. KD just subjugated himself to being a #2. It's sad that he gave up trying to be The Man.

SfgiantsJD3
07-10-2016, 09:19 AM
From this mornings chronicle

Curry sent two basic messages.

Trust what we’re telling you.

This is not my team, this is our team."

Hopper15
07-11-2016, 04:45 AM
Curry is the face.

KD is the next MVP.

Agreed

da ThRONe
07-11-2016, 06:43 AM
It's hard to blame Curry for doing this but it's important we don't portray this as something like what Wade did for LeBron in giving the reigns to him. Curry is still in his prime and the best player on this team. I also question his lack of competitiveness and leadership. It almost feels like these two are softies who need to team up together so they can beat up the big bad wolf who has made their NBA Finals experience BAD (LeBron James). I can't imagine how both of these guys are ruining their individual legacies when either can win a championship with their respective squads as well. At least with Wade, he was already on his downfall. Curry+Durant are #2/#3 in their primes at age 27-28. It just seems like they both want the easy way out.

Differences is GS current core(with Curry as the best player) has won it all without Durant. They don't have to prove they can win it all they already have. It's Durant that hasn't proven he can win as the face of the franchise.

Scoots
07-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Just seems like begging to me. How can 1 be the face and be alright with taking a back seat? I get winning---->everything but name me one other best player in basketball that would ever take this approach? Kobe/Lebron/Jordan always ALWAYS wanted to be the face and be the best player period. Just seems like a I have 0 confidence we can beat the cavs and that I can perform in the finals at a high level can you please come save me type of move

Curry had already given up primary leadership to Green. Curry is just too nice to kick people's butts. Curry is the star and the face of the franchise but Green is the leader.

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Differences is GS current core(with Curry as the best player) has won it all without Durant. They don't have to prove they can win it all they already have. It's Durant that hasn't proven he can win as the face of the franchise.

I still believe they wouldn't have won if Kyrie had played but yes, they won.

LaLa_Land
07-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Face of the franchise? Who cares?

Draymond Green will be their MVP regardless.