PDA

View Full Version : Per Woj: Allen Crabbe signs offer sheet from Nets

TheMightyHumph
07-07-2016, 11:40 PM
4 years, $75 mil.

Up to $83 mil with bonuses.

LivinLakers
07-07-2016, 11:43 PM
Damn...this is a dude that grew up in LA. I was hoping the Lakers could get him. This dude is gonna be a big time player in this league. NJ is rebounding nicely without picks. Good job NJ.

Cracka2HI!
07-07-2016, 11:44 PM
Holy Moly!

GodsSon
07-08-2016, 12:04 AM
lol crazy.

The new NBA, where average players are making $20+ mil.

Avenged
07-08-2016, 12:25 AM
**** that...

When's the next lockout?

More-Than-Most
07-08-2016, 12:30 AM
He actually has upside though. Unproven but what can you do. Id rather have him at this deal than alot of other deals at similar or lesser prices.

Dade County
07-08-2016, 12:31 AM
This is my first time saying this. I don't even no who this is. I'll google him lol

Edit

Ok, I know him lol

da ThRONe
07-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Timing is important in any monetary situation. These contracts will stabilize by 2019. Right now because the salary floor teams HAVE to spend whether they want to or not. So why not pay a player for potential?

Aust
07-08-2016, 06:54 AM
Given their pick situation, might as well try for upside moves and gambles since they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

FraziersKnicks
07-08-2016, 07:51 AM
WTF are the Nets doing?! :laugh2:

$130m on Allen Crabbe and Tyler Johnson??

Should've just thrown $100m at Harrison Barnes. At least he has more upside than these guys.

Tyler Johnson
Allen Crabbe
Bojan Bogdanovic
Trevor Booker?
Brook Lopez

Great team if you're tanking... But they don't have their first round pick for two years :laugh2:

FraziersKnicks
07-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Timing is important in any monetary situation. These contracts will stabilize by 2019. Right now because the salary floor teams HAVE to spend whether they want to or not. So why not pay a player for potential?

This is a common misconception. Teams don't HAVE to reach the salary floor. If they're under it, that remaining money is spread out between guys on the roster.

There's no requirement to be handing out 4 year overpays to players that have done nothing in this league.

SiteWolf
07-08-2016, 08:02 AM

Should've just thrown $100m at Harrison Barnes. At least he has more upside than these guys.

Two guys with a lot of potential vs one guy who's not been reaching his?

Sucks for the Blazers- they want to keep him, but at the Nets are again throwing out a contract geared to prevent the team from matching.

IndyRealist
07-08-2016, 08:21 AM
This is a common misconception. Teams don't HAVE to reach the salary floor. If they're under it, that remaining money is spread out between guys on the roster.

There's no requirement to be handing out 4 year overpays to players that have done nothing in this league.

This is true. But teams look at it as having to spnd the money no matter what, so they might as well go out and get more players instead of paying the guys they have more money. There is not incentive NOT to reach the floor, for the team.

TheDish87
07-08-2016, 08:49 AM
i know BK is desperate but these signings have been insane. Theyre still going to be a bottom 3 team.

Vinylman
07-08-2016, 09:12 AM
This is true. But teams look at it as having to spnd the money no matter what, so they might as well go out and get more players instead of paying the guys they have more money. There is not incentive NOT to reach the floor, for the team.

Sure there is ... its called not locking up cap on marginal players to block you out of next years FA period which will be vastly superior to this years.

Additionally, having cap space can make you a player at the deadline... Portland got a first rounder last year by taking on AV's deal...

Finally, there are gonna be plenty of guys left at the end of FA who will sign a 1 year deal for significantly more than they deserve (ie the kris Humphries sweepstakes).

Vinylman
07-08-2016, 09:13 AM
On a side note... crabbe isn't that good and this deal will look awful very quickly

akagiredsuns
07-08-2016, 09:22 AM
These contracts are ridiculous and out of control. Seeing average players making insane money. Delly 4 & 38, even Barnes at 4 & 97 is insane. The big white boy Spurs C got 3 yrs $21M to go to DET. Surprised LeBron didn't sign a 2 yr $100M deal even if it means gonig over the cap. Anyone here who can play ball should tryout for your hometown team. You might get a 2 yr $15M just because it looks like you can be good. Butler of the Bulls contract looks like a steal next to these outrageous numbers.

GoferKing_
07-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Almost 20mln for a season... for Allen Crabbe...

GoferKing_
07-08-2016, 09:45 AM
These contracts are ridiculous and out of control. Seeing average players making insane money. Delly 4 & 38, even Barnes at 4 & 97 is insane. The big white boy Spurs C got 3 yrs $21M to go to DET. Surprised LeBron didn't sign a 2 yr $100M deal even if it means gonig over the cap. Anyone here who can play ball should tryout for your hometown team. You might get a 2 yr $15M just because it looks like you can be good. Butler of the Bulls contract looks like a steal next to these outrageous numbers.

Wall must be pissed as hell that garbage players are getting more money than him.xD

JOSKOMANG4
07-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Starting Lineup: Lopez/Crabbe/RHJ/Kilpatrick/Lin.

Key Bench: BOOKER(F/C), T.Johnson(G), Mccullough(F/C), C.LEVERT(G/F), ELLINGTON(SG), BOGDANIOVIC(G)

hugepatsfan
07-08-2016, 09:53 AM
I actually like Crabbe even if this is an overpayment.

Obviously I have a vested interest as a BOS fan so I hate to see the Nets adding talent. But they had so much to spend that they were going to add some. Realistically I couldn't expect them to do nothing. I still think they're a bottom 5 team in the NBA.

Chronz
07-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Cant believe Im actually looking forward to a Knicks vs Nets game

FOXHOUND
07-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Sure there is ... its called not locking up cap on marginal players to block you out of next years FA period which will be vastly superior to this years.

Additionally, having cap space can make you a player at the deadline... Portland got a first rounder last year by taking on AV's deal...

Finally, there are gonna be plenty of guys left at the end of FA who will sign a 1 year deal for significantly more than they deserve (ie the kris Humphries sweepstakes).

Except for when you get to that next offseason and your team still sucks, meaning no FA of value will want to go to your team anyways. Your scenario for the Nets is essentially tanking with no draft pick. I'm not sure you realize how much cap space the Nets have, especially with Wade leaving Miami increasing the chances that they match on Johnson.

Scoots
07-08-2016, 11:51 AM

Well, no, they don't have to spend anything. Teams don't HAVE to reach the floor. I liked Crabbe and could see his potential and actually talked about the Warriors maybe going after him if they lost Barnes and couldn't get KD ... but nearly $21M a year is a LOT to pay for what he's shown.

Jets012
07-08-2016, 12:21 PM
With no first round picks, you have to take chances on guys like Johnson/Crabbe. These are two guys with high upside that have done very well in their selective positions with the potential to really grow if you put them on a team without much talent in which they can take chances. Obviously they might not both work out, but I really do like the idea as a Nets fan who literally could not watch them the last two years.

Lin
Crabbe
RHJ
Booker
Lopez

With Johnson and McCullough off the bench is loads better both short-term and long-term than what they were throwing out last year. Now I won't even act like this is a team that's going to win a lot of games, but at least they'll be interesting/exciting for the first time in years.

And at the very least, you know you're going to get a borderline elite shooter in Crabbe. He's been a fantastic shooter at every level.

And of course who even knows if either of these guys ends up on the team. MIA and POR could very well match.

BKLYNpigeon
07-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Allen Crabbe is not bad at all. Plays Great defense for his position and his true Shooting Percentage is 50%

obviously your gambling for him to get better, but I have a feeling he can be the someone like Jimmy Butler.

da ThRONe
07-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Well, no, they don't have to spend anything. Teams don't HAVE to reach the floor. I liked Crabbe and could see his potential and actually talked about the Warriors maybe going after him if they lost Barnes and couldn't get KD ... but nearly $21M a year is a LOT to pay for what he's shown.

It makes perfect sense for the Nets because they don't own the rights to their own pick so bottoming out this year does them any good. I know as an owner I'd rather pay 80mil and have extra players that could potentially make my franchise more valuable than pay 80mil for the same players that doesn't have Crabbe's potential.

BKLYNpigeon
07-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Crabb for 75m > Tyler Johnson for 50m

xxplayerxx23
07-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Allen Crabbe is not bad at all. Plays Great defense for his position and his true Shooting Percentage is 50%

obviously your gambling for him to get better, but I have a feeling he can be the someone like Jimmy Butler.

Great defense lmao

valade16
07-08-2016, 12:40 PM
This is an overpayment for Crabbe (but the Blazers already overpaid for Turner).

He is however a restricted FA, is there any indication that the Blazers won't match? As a Blazer fan, if it came down to giving $75 for Crabbe or $70 for Turner IDK why we didn't just keep Crabbe. I'd rather have Crabbe over Turner...

This makes me scared to see what Maurice Harkless and Meyers Leonard are going to get as well.

TheMightyHumph
07-08-2016, 01:16 PM

Tyler Johnson
Allen Crabbe
Bojan Bogdanovic
Trevor Booker?
Brook Lopez

Great team if you're tanking... But they don't have their first round pick for two years :laugh2:

We (Nets) went young, Knicks went older.

TheMightyHumph
07-08-2016, 01:19 PM
i know BK is desperate but these signings have been insane. Theyre still going to be a bottom 3 team.

We're (Nets) are hoping to do better than that.

TheMightyHumph
07-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Starting Lineup: Lopez/Crabbe/RHJ/Kilpatrick/Lin.

Key Bench: BOOKER(F/C), T.Johnson(G), Mccullough(F/C), C.LEVERT(G/F), ELLINGTON(SG), BOGDANIOVIC(G)

Starters: Lin, Crabbe, RJH, CMC or Booker, Lopez

Ellington's gone. TJ, LeVert and Bogey will be the first guys off the bench. Nets need a PF/C on the cheap.

TheMightyHumph
07-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Great defense lmao

Knicks remember defense, right? They actually played some at the beginning of last season.

IndyRealist
07-08-2016, 01:55 PM

And the cap goes up again next year, and again teams will have a boatload of spce. Unless you were planning on fielding a bottom 5 team, you weren't likely to keep enough space open to matter next summer. The Nets know that free agents aren't going there until they field a cometitve team. Get players, develop your roster, and in 3-ish years you could be a fringe playoff team with either a couple of good pieces you spend money on early, or big expiring contracts to trade for good pieces.

Vinylman
07-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Except for when you get to that next offseason and your team still sucks, meaning no FA of value will want to go to your team anyways. Your scenario for the Nets is essentially tanking with no draft pick. I'm not sure you realize how much cap space the Nets have, especially with Wade leaving Miami increasing the chances that they match on Johnson.

That isn't what I said...

The Nets are plowing in contracts and signing to many guys... I would never suggest that they should be $25 million under the minimum... more like $10 million which will give them ability to absorb trade refuse at the deadline and leave cap in place for next year...

The point people are missing is that the while the cap is going up next year it isn't going up as much and teams will have locked a lot in place this year that they won't have available next.

The bigger issue though is there will be a lockout after next season and the CBA is going to change significantly in terms of max contracts (Lebron has this at the top of the Agenda). If this happen the teams with the most cap space will have an opportunity to sign the BIG STARS that will be available... yes, even the NETS because other teams have locked in so much of their cap space this year...

Gibby23
07-08-2016, 02:25 PM

The Nets are plowing in contracts and signing to many guys... I would never suggest that they should be $25 million under the minimum... more like $10 million which will give them ability to absorb trade refuse at the deadline and leave cap in place for next year...

The point people are missing is that the while the cap is going up next year it isn't going up as much and teams will have locked a lot in place this year that they won't have available next.

The bigger issue though is there will be a lockout after next season and the CBA is going to change significantly in terms of max contracts (Lebron has this at the top of the Agenda). If this happen the teams with the most cap space will have an opportunity to sign the BIG STARS that will be available... yes, even the NETS because other teams have locked in so much of their cap space this year...

What would the non star players get out of it? I don't think the majority of the players will vote for a change because a majority of them are cashing in now.

Vinylman
07-08-2016, 02:33 PM
And the cap goes up again next year, and again teams will have a boatload of spce. Unless you were planning on fielding a bottom 5 team, you weren't likely to keep enough space open to matter next summer. The Nets know that free agents aren't going there until they field a cometitve team. Get players, develop your roster, and in 3-ish years you could be a fringe playoff team with either a couple of good pieces you spend money on early, or big expiring contracts to trade for good pieces.

the cap isn't going up as much as everyone thinks ... the League just issued a memo to teams indicating it could be as low as $102 million next (hardly a big jump). In terms of "league wide cap" the $$ available will be less than this year yet the max contract under the CBA will be higher...

I also in the post before this explained that the lockout is going to have a dramatic effect on the max salary because of Lebron getting his fingers into the pot so he can get a $200 million deal.

ohreally
07-08-2016, 02:37 PM
We'll see what happens, but it's an interesting approach. Nets are going young, looking for multi-position guys who can shoot, pass, and play D. For the moment they still have Brook and bogey, which is a good thing. But i'd be wondering if i were either, especially bogey right now.

They could have an interesting collection of players and beating last year's record isn't exactly difficult.

Vinylman
07-08-2016, 02:44 PM
What would the non star players get out of it? I don't think the majority of the players will vote for a change because a majority of them are cashing in now.

Seriously?

a majority are cashing in? Last time I checked it was one man one vote with the vast majority of guys making less than $3 million per year...

all that aside... the reason is the lockout... it is the reason ALL players associations cave to management in the end... they need the money... pure and simple

Also... they don't vote on 1 issue ... they vote on the package

Gibby23
07-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Seriously?

a majority are cashing in? Last time I checked it was one man one vote with the vast majority of guys making less than $3 million per year...

all that aside... the reason is the lockout... it is the reason ALL players associations cave to management in the end... they need the money... pure and simple

Also... they don't vote on 1 issue ... they vote on the package

True. I keep hearing mixed things on weather there will be a lockout or not. I heard there might be one just because the small market owners are upset with the way players like KD are being able to leave just because of the way the cap is structured and the LT issue.

Wade n Fade
07-08-2016, 11:21 PM
The Nets, despite changing FO staff, still make dumb decisions. They would've been smart to trade off Brook Lopez by now.

Vinylman
07-09-2016, 02:14 PM
True. I keep hearing mixed things on weather there will be a lockout or not. I heard there might be one just because the small market owners are upset with the way players like KD are being able to leave just because of the way the cap is structured and the LT issue.

The lady heading up the nbapa and Lebron and CP3 have all said a top issue is the cap on max contracts

Coincidentally both will be FA next year:rolleyes:

FOXHOUND
07-09-2016, 07:00 PM

That's what I meant when I said, I'm not sure you realize how much cap space the Nets have. They will have around $10M of cap space left after all of these moves and even more if Miami now matches on Tyler Johnson.

The Nets have a ton of cap space and no picks, they need to take some gambles. If young players like Crabbe and Johnson or even Lin hit it off then they can later be moved for 1st round picks, if it makes sense to do so. If not, well then they're just in the same position of sucking anyways. They already traded Thaddeus Young for a 1st. They need to compile assets to have, one way or the other.

Edit: My mistake, I missed the Trevor Booker signing of $9M. :D

The rest of my post still stands, though.

TheMightyHumph
07-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Blazers match Nets offer sheet

mightybosstone
07-10-2016, 06:07 PM
Hate this for Portland. You overpaid Turner and then turned around to match an overpay of Crabbe. If they were always going to do this with Crabbe, why not just overpay him in the first place and not sign Turner? One of those guys is going to be make $17 million+ coming off the bench next season, and they've got McCollum coming up in RFA next season. So it's not like they're going to have a ton of room to add talented guys next summer.

Maybe Portland fans who know the team better will disagree with me and have some solid points to explain the team's reasoning. But I'm a Blazer fan, I'm not super happy with the moves they made.

da ThRONe
07-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Hate this for Portland. You overpaid Turner and then turned around to match an overpay of Crabbe. If they were always going to do this with Crabbe, why not just overpay him in the first place and not sign Turner? One of those guys is going to be make $17 million+ coming off the bench next season, and they've got McCollum coming up in RFA next season. So it's not like they're going to have a ton of room to add talented guys next summer.

Maybe Portland fans who know the team better will disagree with me and have some solid points to explain the team's reasoning. But I'm a Blazer fan, I'm not super happy with the moves they made.

Couldn't agree more. It's one thing to give Crabbe and Turner so much if you're Brooklyn and you have plenty of mins and room for player development. Why commit that much to guys who will eat at each other mins? Blazers had to know Crabbe was getting the max. Why not just wait to match.

Cracka2HI!
07-10-2016, 06:42 PM
WOW the Blazers really sunk their ship this summer imo. I realize they don't attract FA's very well but to spend over $140 on Turner and now Crabbe is ridiculous. I read they brought back Myles Leonard for $10 mil per season too. They were really good last season and appeared to be a team on the rise. Turner and Crabbe won't put them over the top and have now tied up all their cap for years to come.

strahan92osi72
07-10-2016, 10:23 PM
We (Nets) went young, Knicks went older.

Knicks went older? Hmmm. They replaced Calderon with Rose, 7 years younger. They replaced Afflalo with Lee, 1 year younger. Yeah, Noah's 3 years older than Lopez, but I'll take the upgrade, Noah, even with slowed by injuries, is better than Lopez. You sound like a bitter Net fan who knows his team is gonna suck asss when you keep bringing up Knicks to try and justify your team's dumb moves.

Redrum187
07-10-2016, 11:17 PM
Aminu, Turner, Crabbe, and Leonard... yikes. Wtf are the Blazers doing? :(

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 02:06 AM
How is this guy worth that much... I'm thinking he has some influence in the Nets.. made this offer cause he knew Portland would match it. It's pathetic to see someone making this much money but was just slightly an above average player. He gets paid more than Kyrie/Klay/Green??!?!?!

FlashBolt
07-11-2016, 02:08 AM

That's true and these guys should be thanking Curry, the formation of superteams, LeBron, Kobe, Durant, the Warriors, and the other elite players for this. All of them will be making money because of those guys. Hell, about $4 billion in contract has been signed this season and it's not because of Allen Crabbe. Never a better time to be a basketball player for the NBA. Barkley is hella jealous.

TheDish87
07-11-2016, 08:49 AM
shocked Portland matched especially after giving Turner such a large deal. What does this do to their cap situation next year? I imagine it might be tough for them to match a max offer to MCCollum. Im not committed to trading Okafor but I feel like given him have 3 years of team control left we might make a nice trade partner here.

da ThRONe
07-11-2016, 09:58 AM
shocked Portland matched especially after giving Turner such a large deal. What does this do to their cap situation next year? I imagine it might be tough for them to match a max offer to MCCollum. Im not committed to trading Okafor but I feel like given him have 3 years of team control left we might make a nice trade partner here.

I think if Portland is smart they trade McCollum. I think Crabbe as a more traditional 2guard is a better fit long term with Lillard.

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Knicks went older? Hmmm. They replaced Calderon with Rose, 7 years younger. They replaced Afflalo with Lee, 1 year younger. Yeah, Noah's 3 years older than Lopez, but I'll take the upgrade, Noah, even with slowed by injuries, is better than Lopez. You sound like a bitter Net fan who knows his team is gonna suck asss when you keep bringing up Knicks to try and justify your team's dumb moves.

I bring up the Knicks because you are a Knicks fan talking about the Nets.

A Knicks fan. You know, the kind of fan that says 'The Knicks are Back' every year, and then..................

And the Knicks went older than the Nets, especially wear and tear-wise.