PDA

View Full Version : TD-Tmac-Hill in Orlando - Whats the Backlash in 2001?

Chronz
07-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Tim Duncan was a single phone call away from signing with Orlando, a heart to heart with David Robinson saved the Spurs but he was most definitely inches away from leaving.

Had he done so, what becomes of the West (Lakers make every Finals from then on?). With Hill going down, are Tmac and Duncan enough to win?

More importantly, is there any backlash to this or are they all at the perfect stages of their careers to team up?

numba1CHANGsta
07-07-2016, 04:32 PM
T-Mac/TD vs Kobe/Shaq would have made some great Final's match ups. And that Magic team would have made the Finals back2back years instead of the overrated Nets.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2016, 04:43 PM
I doubt it would have gotten backlash because you had Shaq/Kobe. ORL would have been stacked but not a clear cut favorite.

The issue people had with MIA and now OKC is that they both just seemed far and away better than everyone else with guys all in their prime. In each case you have 2 of the top 3 players in the game at the time teaming up. And then in MIA you had another top 10-15 guy and 2 of them with the top pairing in GS.

MIA obviously had a great deal of success but I don't think they become the untouchable force people thought they'd be. They lost their first year. In year 2 they won but were down 3-2 against BOS in the ECF. In year 3 they took a miracle Game 6 win to beat SA. Then they lost. They were great but they didn't just steam roll everyone and leave people begging for mercy.

Hopefully GS does the same though they'r emore loaded and better fits so I doubt it.

nycericanguy
07-07-2016, 04:48 PM
to add to that, Tmac wasn't a superstar yet, he was coming off a 15ppg season, he had potential but no one knew he'd turn into a superstar.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2016, 04:50 PM
I doubt it would have gotten backlash because you had Shaq/Kobe. ORL would have been stacked but not a clear cut favorite.

The issue people had with MIA and now OKC is that they both just seemed far and away better than everyone else with guys all in their prime. In each case you have 2 of the top 3 players in the game at the time teaming up. And then in MIA you had another top 10-15 guy and 2 of them with the top pairing in GS.

MIA obviously had a great deal of success but I don't think they become the untouchable force people thought they'd be. They lost their first year. In year 2 they won but were down 3-2 against BOS in the ECF. In year 3 they took a miracle Game 6 win to beat SA. Then they lost. They were great but they didn't just steam roll everyone and leave people begging for mercy.

Hopefully GS does the same though they'r emore loaded and better fits so I doubt it.

did people think they would though? Bron/Wade had overlapping skillsets, Wade was already slowing down, and they had literally nothing but vet minimums and rookie contracts around them. I figured they for sure contended, but I never thought that team would make other teams scared to even show up, like a few teams in history have.

Regarding the OP, not sure. Duncan had already won a chip, but I don't think they receive anywhere near the flack the modern guys do. Our social media, and constant coverage of NBA players is just mind boggling today. Hell, it's offseason and look at how busy it is. Did anyone know the NHL had free agency open up last week?

Hawkeye15
07-07-2016, 04:51 PM
to add to that, Tmac wasn't a superstar yet, he was coming off a 15ppg season, he had potential but no one knew he'd turn into a superstar.

very true. And while Hill was awesome, he wasn't a top 3-4 player at any point, so it would have been Duncan leading that charge anyways.

tredigs
07-07-2016, 04:58 PM
very true. And while Hill was awesome, he wasn't a top 3-4 player at any point, so it would have been Duncan leading that charge anyways.

I personally thought Grant was the best G/F in the league when MJ retired.

Chronz
07-07-2016, 05:56 PM

I dont know about that one, he was a sure fire All-Star. Between his skillset and productive value, it was likely the low bar for Tmac. PPG is an outdated barometer to grade ones productive value, this isn't a Harrison Barnes situation where its 30-70 whether he pans out as even an All-Star. He got his contract based heavily on his developing yet already impressive skillset (he was Torontos best defender and the main guy his coach trust on key in bound passes), Mac and Hill were discussing the possibility of playing together while playing for their respective squads. In some ways, Tmac broke out in the 2nd half stretch with Toronto + Playoffs (where he outshined his cousin and superstar teammate).

Gibby23
07-07-2016, 06:11 PM
That team would have came out of the East every year for like 5 or 6 years.

b@llhog24
07-07-2016, 06:27 PM
I dont know about that one, he was a sure fire All-Star. Between his skillset and productive value, it was likely the low bar for Tmac. PPG is an outdated barometer to grade ones productive value, this isn't a Harrison Barnes situation where its 30-70 whether he pans out as even an All-Star. He got his contract based heavily on his developing yet already impressive skillset (he was Torontos best defender and the main guy his coach trust on key in bound passes), Mac and Hill were discussing the possibility of playing together while playing for their respective squads. In some ways, Tmac broke out in the 2nd half stretch with Toronto + Playoffs (where he outshined his cousin and superstar teammate).

Even still the general public would've seen "15ppg" and it wouldn't have resulted in a lot of backlash.

Chronz
07-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Even still the general public would've seen "15ppg" and it wouldn't have resulted in a lot of backlash.

I see and when Tmac shows his true worth, thats when Hill goes down and that kind of offsets everything.

Chronz
07-07-2016, 07:04 PM
That team would have came out of the East every year for like 5 or 6 years.

Which means what from the West?

Would we have seen Lakers/Magic for a few years?

Gibby23
07-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Which means what from the West?

Would we have seen Lakers/Magic for a few years?

Probably. Lakers would have probably went to 5 straight finals instead of 4 out of 5. I don't think they Lakers might still have 3 championships, but probably not a 3 peat and there is a good chance that Orlando won 3 or more and Lakers only end up with 1 or 2. I'm just glad it didn't happen. Lol

Sly Guy
07-07-2016, 08:50 PM
tmac did get some backlash in toronto. The previous year was his breakout, and just as he became a valuable asset on probably the most explosive team in the league, he left. That was a little sour to toronto fans, although we still had a lot to learn about what that word sour meant

J4KOP99
07-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Ask and you shall receive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlash_(2001)

-Great ppv if I remember correctly.