PDA

View Full Version : Projected 2017 Cap May Spell Trouble For Warriors Keeping KD

Nikeman
07-07-2016, 12:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16859143/nba-salary-cap-projection-2017-18-season-lower-expected

Interesting. Curry had bird rights so they can give him whatever, same with Iggy. But KD will need to sacrifice money for GS to potentially retain him after this season.

warfelg
07-07-2016, 01:27 PM
That was the case anyways.

Chronz
07-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Hes not going to leave after 1 year man, thats just career suicide.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2016, 01:32 PM
He doesn't need to sacrifice **** if they just Iggy/Livingston go. And they can probably keep one of those guys anyway if they take a little less.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2016, 01:36 PM

it.would.be.awesome

hugepatsfan
07-07-2016, 02:09 PM
I actually don't think it's super unrealistic that if/when (probably when) he gets his ring he decides he wants to try and win one in a competitive spirit, knowing he's free from the risk of retiring without one. I can semi-see it. But someone with a lack of competitiveness to do this I doubt will all of a sudden find it next year year so I wouldn't expect it. I just don't give it a 0% chance either.

TrueFan420
07-07-2016, 02:26 PM
He doesn't need to sacrifice **** if they just Iggy/Livingston go. And they can probably keep one of those guys anyway if they take a little less.

Iggy will most likely return at a significantly cheaper contract. Shaun might not as he hasn't made the type of money Iggy has over his career.

TylerSL
07-07-2016, 03:55 PM
They will still keep Durant. Golden State has only $34.2 million in committed salary next season between Klay, Draymond, and Kevon Looney. I'm going to assume they are going to sign the rest of the roster this summer to a bunch of one year deals to keep space for next summer. They are going to give Steph a 5 year max no matter what. For arguments sake let's say the cap will remain at $102 million, Curry's 5 year max would start at roughly $30.6 million, giving them a payroll of $64.8 million. That would only give them $37.2 million in cap left for both Iguodala and Durant, and a Durant max next summer would start at $35.7. Because of this three things will likely happen. First, Iguodala will take a team friendly contract. Secondly Durant will not take a full max and finally they will probably NOT pick up Kevon Looney's option for next year, saving $1.2 million in space.

With Looney's contract off the books, they would have $38.4 million in cap and Iguodala could sign something like 2 years $17.5 million leaving almost $30 million exactly for Durant. If Durant signed a four year contract next summer starting at $30 million even, it would be a 4 year $128.35 million contract. On the flip side it's possible Curry would be willing to take a little less than a max to make even more room (though that's unlikely considering he's just coming off a super team friendly contract). What's more possible is the NBAPA opt out of next year's CBA and could negotiate a higher percent of Basketball-Related Income (BRI) thus increasing the cap. So until we get a better idea of what the CBA is going to be next season, we probably can't speculate too much.

IndyRealist
07-07-2016, 05:20 PM
He's only going to take his opt out if GS crash and burns. Otherwise he'll play the 2 years and have his bird rights.

Gibby23
07-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Golden State can pay him 120% of this years salary without renouncing anybody. He would only be getting about 1 million less than his max. Non issue and they probably don't renounce anybody. Im sure Nike makes it up to him

Gibby23
07-07-2016, 05:52 PM
He's only going to take his opt out if GS crash and burns. Otherwise he'll play the 2 years and have his bird rights.

You get full bird rights after 3 years.

ruckus16969
07-07-2016, 06:13 PM
What does full bird rights mean

Gibby23
07-07-2016, 06:16 PM
What does full bird rights mean

You can go over the cap to sign the player. And pay that player the max. You can also go over the cap with early bird rights, but can't max the player out if you don't have space, you can only go to a certain number and you get early bird rights after 2 years.

IndyRealist
07-07-2016, 06:19 PM
You get full bird rights after 3 years.

The lesser form of the Larry Bird exception is the "early Bird" exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents", and qualify after playing two seasons with the same team. Players that are traded or claimed off waivers have their Bird rights transferred to their new team. Prior to an arbitrator ruling in June 2012, all players that were waived and changed teams lost their Bird rights.[28][29] Using this exception, a team can re-sign its own free agent for either 175% of his salary the previous season, or the NBA's average salary, whichever is greater.

175% of his salary in 2017-18 will be over the max, so whether he has bird rights or early bird rights is moot.

Gibby23
07-07-2016, 06:24 PM
175% of his salary in 2017-18 will be over the max, so whether he has bird rights or early bird rights is moot.

Still think he opts out and takes a 4 year deal at his max or right near it next year. The Cap is projected to take a little dip in 2 years, so he probably makes more money next year based on the % of the cap a player can make.

Scoots
07-07-2016, 07:08 PM
KD said in his press conference that he's not at all interested in being a free agent next year.

Saddletramp
07-07-2016, 07:38 PM
KD said in his press conference that he's not at all interested in being a free agent next year.

We've all heard that before. And from better people.

BKLYNpigeon
07-07-2016, 07:45 PM
That's easy, sign KD first and then go over the salary cap to retain Curry.

Warriors ownership are printing money at the gate. The cheapest ticket next season is $150 for nosebleeds.

Scoots
07-07-2016, 09:00 PM

Why so bitter? I thought that frown was starting to turn upside down :(

ciaban
07-07-2016, 09:58 PM

Why's that? Why dose being loyal to the warriors matter? They didn't draft him, he don't have all these years of games and memories, hell if OKC trades Westbrook, bottom's out and gets a high pick and those guys go back, all is forgiven.

ciaban
07-07-2016, 09:59 PM
And that's why he's signing a long term contract not a 1+1? Right?

He wasn't even a free agent for that long, why should people believe that this 1+1 is somehow different. Or that Warrior's fans and the organization are somehow different to him.

ciaban
07-07-2016, 10:00 PM
I'd say he has as much to lose as anyone staying, when the salary cap goes up, he could go to a team with a much lower state tax like San Antonio, still be competitive, and save himself millions in taxes.

Scoots
07-08-2016, 12:28 AM
And that's why he's signing a long term contract not a 1+1? Right?

He wasn't even a free agent for that long, why should people believe that this 1+1 is somehow different. Or that Warrior's fans and the organization are somehow different to him.

Has LeBron been doing the FA tour this off-season? KD said well before FA started that he was not interested in doing this again next year, but the 1+1 was the way to get the most money.

Monta is beast
07-08-2016, 01:52 AM
He said at the press conference today that this is it. He doesnt want to go through free agency anymore. As far as the cap, Im sure Curry and/or Durant would be willing to sacrifice a little, if not we would have to let Iggy or Livingston go. KD aint going anywhere.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-08-2016, 02:00 AM
Iggy will most likely return at a significantly cheaper contract. Shaun might not as he hasn't made the type of money Iggy has over his career.

Lol Iggy likely to return at a significantly cheaper contract? He's about to get paid dude.

Monta is beast
07-08-2016, 02:07 AM
Saying KD is leaving is honestly wishful thinking

lol, please
07-08-2016, 02:09 AM
Saying KD is leaving is honestly wishful thinking

KD, Curry, and Klay will all retire Warriors when it's all said and done. Dynasty. Hope you're ready for the ride Mibs.

Monta is beast
07-08-2016, 02:21 AM
Im just waiting to see what this is gonna be like. Ive tried picturing it but i cant imagine what its really gonna be like.

Over under on how many times the warriors score 140 next season

Monta is beast
07-08-2016, 02:23 AM
Lol Iggy likely to return at a significantly cheaper contract? He's about to get paid dude.

Iono Iggy might take a hometown discount. Players dont want to leave the warriors orginization once theyve been apart of it.

Monta is beast
07-08-2016, 02:24 AM
Barry Bonds tho...

Vinylman
07-08-2016, 07:47 AM

wrong... they don't get full bird rights after 2 years

Vinylman
07-08-2016, 07:54 AM
He said at the press conference today that this is it. He doesnt want to go through free agency anymore. As far as the cap, Im sure Curry and/or Durant would be willing to sacrifice a little, if not we would have to let Iggy or Livingston go. KD aint going anywhere.

He mocked Lebron for the decision and then did the same thing (only worse) ... KD's words are worthless

Monta is beast
07-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Like i said wishful thinking

IndyRealist
07-08-2016, 07:24 PM
wrong... they don't get full bird rights after 2 years

Again, he will have EARLY bird rights after 2 years, not full bird rights. Early bird is 175% of his current salary, which will exceed the max, so there's no difference between early bird and full bird.

kozelkid
07-08-2016, 07:36 PM
That's easy, sign KD first and then go over the salary cap to retain Curry.

Warriors ownership are printing money at the gate. The cheapest ticket next season is $150 for nosebleeds.
Can't do that. Players have a cap hold. If KD gets that extension, GS would have to renounce Curry's bird rights which means a smaller contract. And after the way Curry has described his current contact, I bet he's as eager to take a paycut as LeBron was after Miami.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

kozelkid
07-08-2016, 07:38 PM
If the cap projection decreases as currently projected, I think losing Livingston and/or Iggy is precisely what will happen

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Monta is beast
07-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Maybe, but iggy or curry and or durant could all take pay cuts in order for them to stay.

tredigs
07-08-2016, 08:28 PM

I mean he's already made >120 million in his career, and they could offer him the MLE. I do imagine he'll leave and get paid from someone, but Iguodala's going to be 33 next summer and has a lot of wear. He would struggle to take on a bigger role as a full-time starters from 33-37. He might be content making another 50 mil for Golden State as a lesser cog of a potential dynasty team. We'll see.

As far as KD and Curry getting theirs, that's not the issue here. The cap will have an effect on the ancillary pieces. May just have to go with the big-4, the MLE, their rookie contracts and vet mins (no shortage of players wanting to come to GS for that right now).