PDA

View Full Version : Does the Wade situation make the Heat look bad???

GiantsSwaGG
07-05-2016, 07:55 PM
With the reports of the Heat low balling him, prioritizing Whiteside (although talented, is immature) over him, offering him 10 million per year and after Durant closed the door on joining the Heat, decided to up their offer. Now Wade is reportedly frustrated, and they're not on good terms. Will stars even consider the Heat after the way they're treating Wade?

HandsOnTheWheel
07-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Great thread bro!

effen5
07-05-2016, 08:01 PM
It's funny because this happened with Jordan in the 90s except Jordan got paid his last few years as a Bull. I don't think Riley takes care of him.

It's Riley's team, not Wades.

hugepatsfan
07-05-2016, 08:02 PM
It makes perfect sense from a basketball perspective. It does look a little bad on the personal side but it's MIA and Riley so I guarantee you that players will sign there.

Vincent
07-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Do the checks they cut still cash at banks?

Is so, then yes, they'll still be able to get free agents. lol

beasted86
07-05-2016, 08:25 PM
The "way they're treating Wade" was to pay him $20M last season which had him the 9th highest paid player in salary though he's not a top 9 player anymore.

At the end of the day the media and Wade's agent are just doing their job in negotiating and creating headlines as leverage. I'm not mad at either Wade and his camp or the HEAT.

AllBall
07-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Riley's The Godfather, what he says go. He brought the organization out of the depths of irrelevance.

KnicksorBust
07-05-2016, 08:33 PM
With the reports of the Heat low balling him, prioritizing Whiteside (although talented, is immature) over him, offering him 10 million per year and after Durant closed the door on joining the Heat, decided to up their offer. Now Wade is reportedly frustrated, and they're not on good terms. Will stars even consider the Heat after the way they're treating Wade?

I think it's just a reminder that it's a business at the end of the day and you are never guaranteed to be repaid for previously taking a team friendly contract.

The "way they're treating Wade" was to pay him $20M last season which had him the 9th highest paid player in salary though he's not a top 9 player anymore.

At the end of the day the media and Wade's agent are just doing their job in negotiating and creating headlines as leverage. I'm not mad at either Wade and his camp or the HEAT.

That's really nit-picking. Where do you have him? He's still top 30. There are people far more overpaid than Wade was last season. I swear some fans are so ****ing spoiled. This guy has been your franchise player for over a decade. Helped you win 3 rings and you want to act like he's lucky to get "top 9 money" when he's not a top 9 player. Give me a break.

warfelg
07-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Yes and no.

It makes them look bad that they aren't being more flexible with their franchise player.

No because Wade is clearly on the downside and they are making a smart basketball decision.

In the end what Wade says about them will alter the course of the franchise.

Clint Olbrock
07-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Riley just needs to pack his bags and go on a permanent vacation, he already ran LBJ outta town, if he runs Wade out too.. Wow.

mia1619
07-05-2016, 08:57 PM
I posted this in the other threat earlier. it applies here:

I'm so over this Wade nonsense for so many reasons.

One, im sick of the narrative that the heat have underpaid him his whole career and asked him to take less every time. First off, he got the contract he wanted in his first deal- 5 years 80 million or so- for his first big deal. That was the deal Carmelo and Lebron each got at the time. Not underpaid. The 2nd deal in 2010 was lower at his own request. He wanted Lebron and Bosh to come here and he took even less than them because he wanted his best friend Haslem to stay here where he belongs. That't not the heat's fault, he voluntarily did that. Haslem was about to sign with Denver.

Then in 2014 Wade himself opted out of a deal that would have paid him more then he finally agreed to. He opted out in the hopes of Lebron staying and then Lebron, his friend, jerked the franchise around and was not truthful in his interest in Cleveland, which ended up costing Wade 10 million. That isnt the Heats fault that Lebron ****ed over his friend.

And finally last year he was coming off a year where he was the number 1 piece on a team that couldn't even make the playoffs in the East. Granted Bosh was hurt but we still couldn't make the playoffs in the East and he wasn't healthy.

Then this offseason he wants to leak to the media that he got a 10 million a year offer which was complete ******** and his agent has been all over the media leaking untrue BS. Wade has known for 4 ****ing years Riley plans to go big and go after Durant. Why are you blindsided that your contract, which we would have 20 million to give you no matter what Durant chose, wasn't put in the first priority? It's not like the Heat are saying maybe we will get to you eventually. Wade knows they had to prioritize Durant first. He's being a giant baby in this entire matter, leaking all this **** to the media.

And 2nd, to the ******** narrative that Wade has never been the highest paid player on his team, yes thats true, but only because his teammates had higher potential maxes then him due to CBA language. When wade was on his rookie deal, of course he wasnt the highest paid player. Then he gets a max extensioon, but we also acquire Shaq who had a bigger deal already signed years prior that gave him a max that Wade was not eligible for at the time. Then when we dealt Shaq, we dealt him for Shawn Marion who was in the same situation: max contract signed previously in a different time in the CBA and with more years of experience. So he too was eligible for a higher max and had already signed his contract when he was traded here.

Then, we traded Marion for Jermaine O'neals huge expiring contract that was signed during a different CBA. He was also eligible for way more money than Wade's max. After all these guys were gone in 2010 and the heat unloaded their entire roster, it was Wades VOLUNTARY choice to not be the highest paid guy on the teamand take less than Bosh and Lebron because he wanted to fit his best friend Haslem onto the team.

So enough of this nonsense that the heat has treated wade poorly so often. At no point in this entire offseason have we not had enough money to give him 20 million at least.

I don't know what he expected of the Heat. Should we give Whiteside the max, make no effort at Durant, give Wade his max right away and then have absolutely no money or flexibility then?

to do what Wade wants us to do meant us not even havign the opportunity to sit down with durant, we would use up all of our cap space to re-sign Wade and Whiteside, and then lose every single one of our free agents (Deng, J Johnson, T Johnson, Haslem) because we had no money left.

GiantsSwaGG
07-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Yes and no.

It makes them look bad that they aren't being more flexible with their franchise player.

No because Wade is clearly on the downside and they are making a smart basketball decision.

In the end what Wade says about them will alter the course of the franchise.

idk bro, I mean Wade carried them to the playoffs when Bosh got hurt. They max a center that got benched half way thru the season. I still think Wade has about 2 years left at all star level

Raps08-09 Champ
07-05-2016, 09:32 PM
He's not worth the money he's asking for but I wouldn't blame him one bit if he took a discount somewhere else considering he's been loyal to Miami all these years and has gotten the short end of the stick the past few years.

beasted86
07-05-2016, 09:33 PM
I think it's just a reminder that it's a business at the end of the day and you are never guaranteed to be repaid for previously taking a team friendly contract.

That's really nit-picking. Where do you have him? He's still top 30. There are people far more overpaid than Wade was last season. I swear some fans are so ****ing spoiled. This guy has been your franchise player for over a decade. Helped you win 3 rings and you want to act like he's lucky to get "top 9 money" when he's not a top 9 player. Give me a break.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying. The headlines paint it as though Wade has been treated like garbage. He's been paid fairly except for that 4 year span of the Big 3 when they all took a discount. Otherwise he's been paid the max or close to fair market value for the most part.

Them picking out semantics like "never paid highest on the team" are tactics used to negotiate and create headlines. I'm not mad at him for using those tactics to negotiate, nor am I mad at Miami for potentially giving a lowball insult offer to start with.

Chronz
07-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Yes. Riley screams about loyalty but displays none

Raps08-09 Champ
07-05-2016, 09:48 PM
I don't think Wade is worth $25 mil, but I will say if Whiteside is getting 4 years at near $100 mil, I wouldn't be happy with $20 mil per year.

GiantsSwaGG
07-05-2016, 10:01 PM
I don't think Wade is worth $25 mil, but I will say if Whiteside is getting 4 years at near $100 mil, I wouldn't be happy with $20 mil per year.

Wade isn't worth 25 now but he was worth more when he took a pay cut too form the big 3, even last year took a slight pay cut, so he sacrificed for the team, why aren't the Heat repaying for it?

Bigbadmoffo
07-05-2016, 10:19 PM
They just need to rebuild.

strahan92osi72
07-05-2016, 10:28 PM
I wonder if Whiteside is regretting his decision to come back. He resigned almost immediately, I guess at that age it's more the money. If Bosh doesn't come back and Wade leaves, it's gonna be a long few years in Miami for Whiteside. And just the other day they were talking about Durant to Miami and Wade and Bosh both coming back for sure. Amazing how much things change in just a couple days.

strahan92osi72
07-05-2016, 10:31 PM
They just need to rebuild.

Whiteside is a great building block and Winslow showed at points last year he can play. I just can't picture Pat being patient enough to build that way. Everything's always been about free agency.

beasted86
07-05-2016, 10:35 PM
Wade isn't worth 25 now but he was worth more when he took a pay cut too form the big 3, even last year took a slight pay cut, so he sacrificed for the team, why aren't the Heat repaying for it?
Wade didn't take any pay cut last year, in fact he got a raise. He opted out of the 1 year $16M and signed a 1 year $20M contract.

Like I said, you with this comment just gave a perfect example Wade's agent and the media doing a good job on people who aren't in the know, making it seem like he sacrificed last season. That was the headline before he signed and after he signed last summer.

Some point this week I expect them to meet, the posturing to end, and for them to come to terms on a contract.

RLundi
07-05-2016, 10:40 PM
God I hate when Heat fans capitalize "HEAT."

TylerSL
07-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Riley just needs to pack his bags and go on a permanent vacation, he already ran LBJ outta town, if he runs Wade out too.. Wow.

How can you say that lol? Lebron wanted to go back to Cleveland because he had the opportunity to save your city and took it. Lebron's frustrations toward Riley are because of how he reacted when Lebron told them he was leaving, it wasn't a factor in him leaving though. Just be happy he's back and stop hating on us.

TylerSL
07-05-2016, 10:51 PM
On a personal side we don't look great but from a basketball perspective, Miami is completely justified. THAT SAID, with Denver now offering 2 years $50 million, it's time to stop messing around and give him what he wants. Both sides entered these negotiations with good reasons and Dwyane Wade won the negotiations. He went out and proved the demand for him is far greater than what Miami has been offering as he has a sitting offer that's more than $10 million more than the Heat's. I believe the only way Wade will leave is if Miami is completely unwilling to get close to Denver's number. If the sides are less than $3 million apart, I can't see him leaving, but our offer has to come up by a significant amount.

I think we have to offer Wade 2 years $50 million, no opt out, flat salary so he makes $25 million each of the next two years.

AllBall
07-05-2016, 11:07 PM

Alonzo Mourning
Juwan Howard
Chris Quinn
Keith Askins

Former Heat players under Riley still with the HEAT organization. That's just off the top of my head. Loyal and paid for life. Hell, Juwan Howard he was unable to get in time in the 90s due to a trade that went south and he still went and got him just as his career was coming to a fold because of the promise he made to him before.

Cal827
07-05-2016, 11:19 PM
It's pretty sad that it's come to this... FFS Riley, Pay the guy who's saved your *** in Miami for all these years. Before Wade, Riley's legacy in Miami was as a perenial choker :laugh2:

And with all due respect, it's not like the Heat are gonna have a chance at the title over the next couple years (as most teams aren't, cause we pretty much assume that Golden State is gonna murder everyone). And that's not including Bosh's unfortunate battle with Blood Clots, and Miami's bench got absolutely butchered this off-season. I also don't know who's out there that Riley could try to bring in, that would make them favorites. Just give him the max for a couple years. Doing something like this to a franchise player could impact future signings, and Wade someone who's probably earned the Kobe Bryant style contract more than Kobe did :laugh2:

FlashBolt
07-05-2016, 11:49 PM
I have a feeling some of you think reparations should be made to Wade... If you think Wade didn't benefit from taking paycuts, then the jokes on you.

Dade County
07-05-2016, 11:54 PM
No.

Good luck Wade.

europagnpilgrim
07-06-2016, 12:28 AM
This is such a never ending cycle since the beginning of the sports world

athlete is all nba/mvp caliber early in youth(peak or prime/top tier or whatever label someone makes up) and is deemed untouchable by any means

athlete ages and is still all star worthy but is not worth the untouchable/full max paid salary tag anymore

a franchise/owner will use the player up until the tread on the tires almost wear off and replace it with new tires, AP in the nfl said it best when he said its like working on a slave plantation which carries over to all paid professional sports, sad but true

Wade should just look at all the legends who have played for diff. teams and just move on, **** happens

if he wants to win/contend for the title his move should be with his buddy Lebron but the dollar wont be gravy, if he wants to get paid max value or close to it then he should consider the Nuggets offer or go home to Chicago where they would move Butler to the SF and form a big 3 with him and Rondo

if he wants to show fake loyalty then he should take the Heat offer, it sounds like a win win for Wade regardless of the media reports

he can have his cake and ice cream since he already has his gifts(3 rings)

Aust
07-06-2016, 01:40 AM
Well, it doesn't make them look good.

LaLa_Land
07-06-2016, 02:30 AM
Though Wade had an admirable playoff performance, a large contract from the Heat will most certainly be for services rendered. Riley was able to passively watch what happened to the Lakers as they paid Kobe for what he's done, not what he is. Now, Wade is not the chucking black-hole that Ol' Kobe was, but he's getting up there in age. To boot, the Heat won't be contending if a Wade contract bubbles them up to the brim.

But no matter the analytical slice, Riley will look bad if he doesn't pay a lifetime Heat guy who has won three rings. I surmise Wade is just using these meetings to raise the Heat offer.

warfelg
07-06-2016, 07:40 AM
idk bro, I mean Wade carried them to the playoffs when Bosh got hurt. They max a center that got benched half way thru the season. I still think Wade has about 2 years left at all star level

34 with two shot knees and has long struggled to make it through a complete season. Not uncommon to see a great player have one last surge of great play.

Fact is he's on the downside. 34, in the league for 13 years, this was bound to happen.

mia1619
07-06-2016, 09:01 AM
We should not give him the 2 years 50 million. call his bluff. 0% chance he goes to denver because they offer him 2 years 50 million and we do 2 years a little over 40 million.

You don't run a team based off previous performance. thats how you end up in the situation the lakers are in.

People say why would people want to come to miami if they treat wade like this and he leaves. who wants to come to miami in a few years when a 36 year old can't stay healthy and is on a max and his best friend has blood clot issues and also has a max deal and might not be able to play.

Miami owes Wade nothing. He wants to play these games through the media, he's gonna lose. no one believes he wants to go anywhere and the actual teams that the heat should be scared of don;t have interest. call his bluff Pat.

Don;t give into his agent making noise in the media. Wade willingly took sacrifices in the past. You need 2 sides to sign a contract. He gotten the max a few times, just because he has never been the highest paid player on his team doesnt mean he hasn't gotten the max before. That's just CBA manipulation and his agent using the publics general cluelessness about the CBA to influence public opinion. He was never eligible to be the highest paid guy on his team because Pat Riley went out 3 different times and traded for guys on max contracts that were eligible for more money with their max than Dwyane Wade ever was at that point.

This whole dilemma is based on the Dwyane's agent trying to use the general public's ignorance against the Heat and it's not gonna work. No one believes you want to go and if your option is Denver, Hahahahahaha, good luck using that as leverage.

RCarlson85
07-06-2016, 10:03 AM

Whiteside wasn't benched halfway through the season. He got injured and missed some time. When he was healthy they wanted to ease him back in so they brought him off the bench initially. Then him off the bench seemed to work and he was getting his normal minutes and stats so they stuck with it. I'm not saying I agreed with him coming off the bench or liked it but he definitely wasn't "benched."

mia1619
07-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Whiteside wasn't benched halfway through the season. He got injured and missed some time. When he was healthy they wanted to ease him back in so they brought him off the bench initially. Then him off the bench seemed to work and he was getting his normal minutes and stats so they stuck with it. I'm not saying I agreed with him coming off the bench or liked it but he definitely wasn't "benched."

and the fit was better with him off the bench because he could play against 2nd units and get more touches on offense. wasn't close to being benched.

Hawkeye15
07-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Considering Riley in the past has made remarks about loyalty, for that reason only, yes, this makes Miami look bad.

From a basketball perspective, obviously it makes sense not to pay Wade $25 million a year.

Slug3
07-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Considering Riley in the past has made remarks about loyalty, for that reason only, yes, this makes Miami look bad.

From a basketball perspective, obviously it makes sense not to pay Wade $25 million a year.

I know everyone likes to think Wade took massive cuts, but if he did sign a 2 year 40 million deal with the heat it puts him like right in the top 7 of all time earnings in the NBA. Its not like he didn't make money. And I get he could have made more, but he also could have played with less talent around him in doing so.

Nobody owes anyone anything. And if Wade wants to leave for more money he has every right and I'll be waiting for him to come back in a few years and retire. If he stays then I'll watch him retire here. But when he is gone I am still going to root for Miami and I prefer they look to try and stay competitive instead of giving out a bloated salary to a guy about to be 35 with a bad knee and no Meniscus.

Hawkeye15
07-06-2016, 11:21 AM
I know everyone likes to think Wade took massive cuts, but if he did sign a 2 year 40 million deal with the heat it puts him like right in the top 7 of all time earnings in the NBA. Its not like he didn't make money. And I get he could have made more, but he also could have played with less talent around him in doing so.

Nobody owes anyone anything. And if Wade wants to leave for more money he has every right and I'll be waiting for him to come back in a few years and retire. If he stays then I'll watch him retire here. But when he is gone I am still going to root for Miami and I prefer they look to try and stay competitive instead of giving out a bloated salary to a guy about to be 35 with a bad knee and no Meniscus.

yeppers

Tony_Starks
07-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Not really. They've made it known that they want to bring Wade back all along. Eventually they will bring him back after the smoke clears.

Business is business, Wade and Pat know that.

xxplayerxx23
07-06-2016, 11:26 AM
It's funny because this happened with Jordan in the 90s except Jordan got paid his last few years as a Bull. I don't think Riley takes care of him.

It's Riley's team, not Wades.

Without wade there is never any championship, it's his team

effen5
07-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Riley built this team. He drafted Wade. This is Riley's team. Even if Wade retires, there's always going to be Riley.

Slug3
07-06-2016, 11:33 AM

Well then since he owns the team why is he fighting himself on paying himself?

Hawkeye15
07-06-2016, 11:57 AM

then he should understand for the benefit of HIS team, being paid $25 million is not going to work.

Chronz
Alonzo Mourning
Juwan Howard
Chris Quinn
Keith Askins

Former Heat players under Riley still with the HEAT organization. That's just off the top of my head. Loyal and paid for life. Hell, Juwan Howard he was unable to get in time in the 90s due to a trade that went south and he still went and got him just as his career was coming to a fold because of the promise he made to him before.

Giving Wade the contract he wants will pay him more than any of those cushion jobs could. Loyalty is about what you do in the trenches, not what you do in your basketball afterlife. Wade could always leave and then come back after retirement and be like, yo, wheres my job? What does Riley do then?

IIRC Wade was screwed by Bron last year but couldn't the Heat have given him more money regardless? Isn't this the 2nd year in a row where hes had to force Miami to take him seriously? Thats how you treat the franchise pillar? Say what you want about the Lakers but they showed mad love to Kobe without hesitation, that matters more than them saying, nah Kobe you're not going to make as much as you have meant to the franchise, but when you retire I got this nice Media job for you. In about 20 years working that job, you will have made up 5% of what you lost.

mia1619
This is all Wade's agent and the rest of his people negotiating through the media. Literally every single update you see is coming from like 10 different people within a short period of time from one another. How do you think all of those people would get info about what Wade's plans are today to meet with 3 different teams within such a short period of time?

I think there is obviously huge tension in these negotiations but Wade said so many times this year he is a heat lifer, this is all about the 2 sides negotiating for those few extra millions. Eventually I think both sides will cave to do what is right and have Wade play his whole career here.

And Wade isn't going to Denver lol.

FlashBolt
07-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Giving Wade the contract he wants will pay him more than any of those cushion jobs could. Loyalty is about what you do in the trenches, not what you do in your basketball afterlife. Wade could always leave and then come back after retirement and be like, yo, wheres my job? What does Riley do then?

IIRC Wade was screwed by Bron last year but couldn't the Heat have given him more money regardless? Isn't this the 2nd year in a row where hes had to force Miami to take him seriously? Thats how you treat the franchise pillar? Say what you want about the Lakers but they showed mad love to Kobe without hesitation, that matters more than them saying, nah Kobe you're not going to make as much as you have meant to the franchise, but when you retire I got this nice Media job for you. In about 20 years working that job, you will have made up 5% of what you lost.
Exactly. Wade opting out could have also been an opportunity for him to make more money just like Bosh did. Bosh opted out for $23 million per season over five seasons. The fallacy that Wade couldn't have gotten something around that area is misrepresentation. He chose to sacrifice because after Bosh's contract, Miami needed room to squeeze in other guys.

Slug3
07-06-2016, 12:08 PM

I think on his original deal Wade was set to make 16 or 16.5 million last year but got 20 so he got some of a raise in that sense for that year.

But I think one of the big thing nobody is really talking about is Bosh. Bosh was almost about to go to Houston. Miami wanted both Bosh and Wade to stay around 18-20 million so they could continue to build but once Houston offered Bosh some money it took Miami throwing the max at him to decide to stay. And then he has had health problems since.

Chronz
07-06-2016, 12:09 PM
then he should understand for the benefit of HIS team, being paid $25 million is not going to work.

They should just ride off into the sunset with Wade. Results be damned, Miami is starting to get a bad rep with how they've ticked off Bron and Wade in consecutive years. I dont remember, why was Bosh given his max while Wade was expected to settle?

Then again its south beach, a franchise like Milwaukee couldn't afford to treat players this way IMO.

FlashBolt
07-06-2016, 12:14 PM
The reason Miami overpaid Bosh was because Houston came calling and Miami got desperate. They wanted to still be somewhat competitive and paid Bosh and left Wade hanging.. again. Wade could have gotten more money. I don't understand how Bosh got more than Wade at all considering all things Wade has done and will be doing for them.

Slug3
07-06-2016, 12:15 PM
They should just ride off into the sunset with Wade. Results be damned, Miami is starting to get a bad rep with how they've ticked off Bron and Wade in consecutive years. I dont remember, why was Bosh given his max while Wade was expected to settle?

Then again its south beach, a franchise like Milwaukee couldn't afford to treat players this way IMO.

The way we treated Lebron? You mean how we didn't bow down to his every demand? That is how Riley has always been.

AllBall
07-06-2016, 12:21 PM

Just read differently, which is news to me:

When James cost Wade $10 million by leaving — Wade had opted out of a $42 million deal to create max room for James, only to get stuck with a $32 million deal when James bolted — a frenzy started. Houston swooped in to steal Bosh. According to three sources, the Heat was informed that Bosh was leaving for Houston for $88 million. Miami offered about $7 million more than that. Nope. Had to be the max — $118 million. Nothing less than the max would keep Bosh in Miami. The Heat wanted to pay Bosh and Wade equally — $18 million a year — and protect future flexibility. Nope. Bosh gets the max or he’s gone. And that’s how Thomas got one client his money in Miami while the other one, the older one, now fights for more dollars from a team that has already offered him all of its remaining cap space. Wade doesn’t blame James or Bosh or his agent publicly, but he sure as hell seems to blame the Heat.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/dan-le-batard/article87862542.html

So the truth comes out at last.

FlashBolt
07-06-2016, 12:21 PM
The way we treated Lebron? You mean how we didn't bow down to his every demand? That is how Riley has always been.

I don't know about that but what Riley did AFTER LeBron left was lame. Probably as lame as Dan Gilbert, tbh.

Slug3
07-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I don't know about that but what Riley did AFTER LeBron left was lame. Probably as lame as Dan Gilbert, tbh.

And that is?

FlashBolt
07-06-2016, 12:29 PM
And that is?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lebron-reveals-his-secret-motivation-came-from-a-doubter-in-miami/

It was what LeBron said was his motivation in the 2015 NBA Finals but didn't say it then because they had lost. It clearly bugged him enough to hold onto it for two years.

Slug3
07-06-2016, 12:32 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lebron-reveals-his-secret-motivation-came-from-a-doubter-in-miami/

It was what LeBron said was his motivation in the 2015 NBA Finals but didn't say it then because they had lost. It clearly bugged him enough to hold onto it for two years.

Well its assume it was Riley, it could have really been anyone that said that. But what do you think they should say? Congrats go win lots of championships? Unlike Gilbert he at least kept it between them and that was all. He didn't write some letter to the fans talking about Lebron being a fake and that they would still be better off without him. No matter how bitter he was to him he still set up that video to thank him for his 4 years in Miami and how appreciated the fans were. You are reaching here now.

Clint Olbrock
07-06-2016, 12:34 PM
How can you say that lol? Lebron wanted to go back to Cleveland because he had the opportunity to save your city and took it. Lebron's frustrations toward Riley are because of how he reacted when Lebron told them he was leaving, it wasn't a factor in him leaving though. Just be happy he's back and stop hating on us.

You have no clue if it played a part or not. As soon as they all opted out Riley puffed his chest out and said a lot of questionable stuff. LeBron laughed and showed Riley the Heat are nothing without him, got himself another ring.

FlashBolt
07-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Well its assume it was Riley, it could have really been anyone that said that. But what do you think they should say? Congrats go win lots of championships? Unlike Gilbert he at least kept it between them and that was all. He didn't write some letter to the fans talking about Lebron being a fake and that they would still be better off without him. No matter how bitter he was to him he still set up that video to thank him for his 4 years in Miami and how appreciated the fans were. You are reaching here now.

Oh, so I guess it was Spoelstra who said it.. And Pat Riley did go in front of the media with hidden attacks towards LeBron such as "No more smiling faces and hidden agendas." Gee, I guess that was an attack on James Jones leaving? At least Gilbert spoke of it through emotions. Pat was pretty much implying that James was walking away from the team that WON him the championship or something. One guy wasn't thinking right and the other basically challenged LeBron.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-06-2016, 03:19 PM

..and how has that worked out for them?

FlashBolt
07-06-2016, 03:21 PM
..and how has that worked out for them?

Would they have been any better if they hadn't paid Kobe? Kobe got paid money that would have gone to someone who wouldn't have changed the progression of this franchise regardless. Heat can still compete. Huge difference.

hugepatsfan
07-06-2016, 04:33 PM

I think they're offering Wade every last penny they can though. They had to renounce bird rights to keep Whiteside so all they can offer him is what's left of the cap.

FlashBolt
07-06-2016, 04:36 PM
I think they're offering Wade every last penny they can though. They had to renounce bird rights to keep Whiteside so all they can offer him is what's left of the cap.

That's because they didn't think it through that Wade might want more money, too. They just expected him to take whatever is left. That has to frustrate you when you are that franchise's best player ever and feel they are treating you like chopped liver.

Slug3
07-06-2016, 04:40 PM
That's because they didn't think it through that Wade might want more money, too. They just expected him to take whatever is left. That has to frustrate you when you are that franchise's best player ever and feel they are treating you like chopped liver.

I actually think they thought Whiteside would be ok with taking possibly a one year deal at like 10-15 million and then going after him bigger next year with his bird rights. but Whiteside wanted the max and other teams would have given it to him.

JasonJohnHorn
07-07-2016, 03:35 PM

This.

Riley couldn't even be bothered to call Wade during the process? WTF?

I know Heat fans will be loyal to their team, which means backing Riley, but the rest of the league is seeing Riley an the Heat in a very bad light.

No reason the Heat couldn't give Wade a pay day for everything he's done for the organization.

Slug3
07-07-2016, 04:08 PM
This.

Riley couldn't even be bothered to call Wade during the process? WTF?

I know Heat fans will be loyal to their team, which means backing Riley, but the rest of the league is seeing Riley an the Heat in a very bad light.

No reason the Heat couldn't give Wade a pay day for everything he's done for the organization.

Well we don't really know everything. I mean that report came out, but then the report that said he tried calling/texting but was told to talk through his agent.

In the end I think Riley wanted Wade to stay, but wanted him to stay at a bargain price and when Wade wanted more money I am sure deep down Riley probably wanted Wade to just leave. And he got his wish.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-07-2016, 08:08 PM
It puts a damper on the Heats plans. Also him bolting now Whiteside isn't pleased. Not sure the scoop on Bosh heath status. But even if he's 110% still a dog fight for east playoffs spot. I mentioned last 2 years Heat should of pulled a Celtics and purged the vets for picks or rookies deals and assets. Once Wade said Bucks as one of the team meetings it was all about the money from the agent to drive his price near $25M per. But I knew and glad he didn't sign for $25M per.

Yeah it would of been nice to have him and he be voted in easily no matter stats for All star. Playoffs first and more games on TV. But that cap even with new cap yikes. Also we already have Middleton locked in dirt cheap at SG. Rather see him go out as a Heat and retire. Now rumors of Ray Allen coming out of retirement for Cavs or Warriors. Cavs could use him. Lame for Heat. Wade took to long and messed up any Heats plans for a big free agent signing as well. Whiteside said he'd take a little less to lure in KD. But KD wasn't waiting and went easy route of Warriors.

Scoots
07-07-2016, 09:11 PM
No. Wade is getting over-paid. Not by a lot, but by some. It would have been nice to have Wade end his career there, but he wanted to "make his money back" or whatever the sentiment is. I assume Tim Duncan has a handshake deal that keeps him with free owners box seats for life and probably some very highly overpaid emeritus position on the team for the next 20 years to "make his money back". That's the way to do it.

But no, the Heat are doing what they think helps them down the road ... and Wade is looking to get paid.

It's professional sports, free agents come and go.