PDA

View Full Version : The worst scenario of GSW's new season?

Chrisclover
07-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Now GSW have 4 all stars and many people start to call them the best team in the NBA. We said so for 2010 Heat and 2012 Lakers. Having a bumpy start, Heat managed to adjust themselves but still got beaten in the finals. What about the Lakers? We just barely squeezed into the playoffs and Howard left in the off-season.
My question is what is the worst scenario for GSW who just shocked the world by signing Top 3 player Durant after a historical season?

mudvayne387
07-05-2016, 07:52 AM
Worst case scenario is losing a 7 game series in the WCF by the hands of the Spurs. Durant ends up opting out after his first year (signs in Boston where he should of signed this year) and Golden State is back to their original 3 which is still better than any other teams anyways.

KingJudah
07-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Golden state is eliminated in round one by the timberwolves.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2016, 10:38 AM
worst case is running into another scenario where they don't have anyone with physicality that can handle the tough stretches. The Warriors and Thunder both struggled in clutch situations, if that continues (Curry, Durant, Klay, etc), it won't mean anything to be the best team ever on paper.

This WCF/Finals was eye opening. The Warriors are too cute for their own good, and mentally broke down. They have been the darlings of the NBA (as has Durant) for a while now. Let's see how they respond to being hated, cause it's a comin'......

Hawkeye15
07-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Golden state is eliminated in round one by the timberwolves.

that is best case for me :)

Scoots
07-05-2016, 10:51 AM
worst case is running into another scenario where they don't have anyone with physicality that can handle the tough stretches. The Warriors and Thunder both struggled in clutch situations, if that continues (Curry, Durant, Klay, etc), it won't mean anything to be the best team ever on paper.

This WCF/Finals was eye opening. The Warriors are too cute for their own good, and mentally broke down. They have been the darlings of the NBA (as has Durant) for a while now. Let's see how they respond to being hated, cause it's a comin'......

They still won't be hated ... the only guy they have who draws any hate is Draymond and he's too nice to the press and to open and forthright to get skewered.

Some fans will hate them but that's always true of every winning team ... but the majority of the press won't chase the story because it won't ring true. LeBron and Kobe almost liked the hate.

Tony_Starks
07-05-2016, 10:51 AM
The worst case scenario is they face someone in the playoffs that is a bad matchup for them. Regardless of seeding.

Believe it or as great as they will be they're still not invincible, there's no such thing.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2016, 11:46 AM
They still won't be hated ... the only guy they have who draws any hate is Draymond and he's too nice to the press and to open and forthright to get skewered.

Some fans will hate them but that's always true of every winning team ... but the majority of the press won't chase the story because it won't ring true. LeBron and Kobe almost liked the hate.

check it out come start of season. Durant being a sally, GS celebrating after everything they do, the flopping, etc. It's coming dude. It already started this last playoffs.

We will see how mentally tough they are. It's coming dude. Trust me.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2016, 11:47 AM
The worst case scenario is they face someone in the playoffs that is a bad matchup for them. Regardless of seeding.

Believe it or as great as they will be they're still not invincible, there's no such thing.

as I stated above, adding Durant didn't fix that physicality gets them out of their game. We saw it.

AllBall
07-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Worst case: going 82-0, sweep first 3 rounds, go up 3-1 in the finals and then lose in 7 to the Cavs. What a twist!

aman_13
07-05-2016, 11:59 AM
as I stated above, adding Durant didn't fix that physicality gets them out of their game. We saw it.

Yet they were possessions away from going back to back.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Yet they were possessions away from going back to back.

yep. Scary team GS has, but even they showed chinks in the armor

aman_13
07-05-2016, 12:04 PM
The problem the Warriors could create on their own is trying to implement too much of Durant's game. All they really need him to be is a spot up shooter/slasher.

Toronto Homer
07-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I just want to say that I don't think this will happen, but the worst case scenario is that KD pulls a DeAndre Jordan in the next couple of days and changes his mind and decides to go back to OKC. As I said, I don't think this will happen, but it is the worst thing that could happen at this point for Golden State. Realistically though, they look great.

Yanks All Day
07-05-2016, 12:13 PM
I just want to say that I don't think this will happen, but the worst case scenario is that KD pulls a DeAndre Jordan in the next couple of days and changes his mind and decides to go back to OKC. As I said, I don't think this will happen, but it is the worst thing that could happen at this point for Golden State. Realistically though, they look great.

While this would be absolutely worst-case scenario, the one involving KD actually signing would have to be:

Golden State has to play super small all year and Draymond wears down at the 5.
KD's foot or Steph's ankle/knee start acting up.
Iggy's back proves to be a long-term problem.

Now, these things aren't likely, but they're plausible. If they don't win this year, Curry and Durant become free agents at the end of the year when the cap goes up again for everyone. The scenario they want to avoid is another championship-less season where 1 star leaves next year and they've already given up key role players this season.

Will it happen? Probably not. I'd guess they're likely to win 66-70 games and meet Cleveland in the Finals again. But an injury here or there and older role players showing age would be devastating for a team that's already going to be playing small 85% of the time. That still said, only Cleveland can match up with Golden State, and that's IF they get Dwyane Wade to jump ship. I don't think the Spurs have the guard play to match up with the Dubs. The Warriors are stacked, and there's no one else particularly close outside of Cleveland.

MarkieMark48
07-05-2016, 12:15 PM
check it out come start of season. Durant being a sally, GS celebrating after everything they do, the flopping, etc. It's coming dude. It already started this last playoffs.

ayesha curry's need for media attention doesn't help either

JAZZNC
07-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Worst case is that these guys can't figure out how to play with each other. Durant has been known to play really dumb basketball and we saw some pretty dumb basketball from the Warriors in the Finals. I dunno, I just think the best thing is to have Durant just fill Barnes shoes and just hit open shots and slash but will he be ok with that?? I don't think tis gonna be a seamless transition. Especially going from Bogut to Zaza. Thats gonna be a big, BIG difference.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2016, 12:19 PM
ayesha curry's need for media attention doesn't help either

there is more, but yep, toss that on there.

Scoots
07-05-2016, 12:32 PM

We'll see. I didn't say anything about mental toughness ... it's just that as long as the press likes them it won't gather steam the way it did with Kobe and LeBron. The Warriors stars are too milquetoast to be hated by the press.

Scoots
07-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Worst case is that these guys can't figure out how to play with each other. Durant has been known to play really dumb basketball and we saw some pretty dumb basketball from the Warriors in the Finals. I dunno, I just think the best thing is to have Durant just fill Barnes shoes and just hit open shots and slash but will he be ok with that?? I don't think tis gonna be a seamless transition. Especially going from Bogut to Zaza. Thats gonna be a big, BIG difference.

That is what I was talking about from months ago. KD is MASSIVELY skilled, but he is nowhere near the basketball genius LeBron is. The Warriors only hope is that the other really smart players around him mask his issues.

On the Bogut/Zaza side ... Zaza is better in most ways than Bogut, except for D and the only thing the team really needs out of the traditional center is D. So they still need to find that somewhere ... the thing is, Bogut's ability to positively effect a game starting falling off BIG last season so I'm not as concerned about that as some. What I do worry about is how does KD guard 4s for 20-25 minutes a game?

hugepatsfan
07-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Every game they lose is a choke job.

shep33
07-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Anything short of a title is a disappointment of epic proportions.

Tony_Starks
07-05-2016, 12:44 PM
yep. Scary team GS has, but even they showed chinks in the armor

Any team can be exposed. Neither one of Lebrons super teams won the chip their first year.

It takes time to develop cohesion.

What GS has in their favor though is nobody is going to care about who's the "man" and all that legacy bs. It's all about rings.

I see this squad more as a Boston Celtics big 4, guys taking turns being the man when needed and just steam rolling the league.

KnicksorBust
07-05-2016, 12:57 PM
They have been the darlings of the NBA (as has Durant) for a while now. Let's see how they respond to being hated, cause it's a comin'......

This resonated with me. I have been beating the Steph Curry/Gstate drum rhythmically for 2 years. Huge fan of Durant. "Mom u da real mvp." There are threads on here where I compared him to Tim Duncan as a focused humble star who will play his career for one city and one team. I am sick of admitting I was wrong but damn if he didnt just ditch his "brother" Westbrook and run to a 73 win team. In an instant he became one of my least favorite players. I desperately wanted the Warriors to set the regular season win record, Curry to get unanimous MVP and then FMVP in another win over the Cavs. Now I will be happy everytime they lose. I am not big on using the word "hate" to describe an athlete for switching teams. But I completely agree with you. People, like myself, who loved the splash bros, all the wins, and supported Durant in OKC, are now switching allegiances. I want them to go down in round 1. I want Draymond to get called for his illegal screens. I want Klay Thompson to go cold in the biggest moments. I want someone to steal Curry's damn mouth piece so he can't chew it on national tv. That is almost as bad as Lebron with the fingernails. And I want Durant to ruin the flow of the offense with his iso ball. The reality is they are too good not to get +60 wins in their sleep. If healthy. But 60 wins will be underachieving... there will be a fresh narrative after every lose what went wrong. More scrutiny than last year and this team with a more negative backdrop. There will be boos. And are we really sure Steph and Durant's arrogance and ego won't lead to a dramatic villain moment...ala the mouthpiece toss in the Finals?

MarkieMark48
07-05-2016, 12:57 PM
That is what I was talking about from months ago. KD is MASSIVELY skilled, but he is nowhere near the basketball genius LeBron is. The Warriors only hope is that the other really smart players around him mask his issues.

On the Bogut/Zaza side ... Zaza is better in most ways than Bogut, except for D and the only thing the team really needs out of the traditional center is D. So they still need to find that somewhere ... the thing is, Bogut's ability to positively effect a game starting falling off BIG last season so I'm not as concerned about that as some. What I do worry about is how does KD guard 4s for 20-25 minutes a game?

Ill be honest and say I haven't seen Zaza play much, but they will have to educate him on how to execute moving screens without being called for a foul the way Bogut did. If they can do that he should be a solid addition.

tredigs
07-05-2016, 01:34 PM
This resonated with me. I have been beating the Steph Curry/Gstate drum rhythmically for 2 years. Huge fan of Durant. "Mom u da real mvp." There are threads on here where I compared him to Tim Duncan as a focused humble star who will play his career for one city and one team. I am sick of admitting I was wrong but damn if he didnt just ditch his "brother" Westbrook and run to a 73 win team. In an instant he became one of my least favorite players. I desperately wanted the Warriors to set the regular season win record, Curry to get unanimous MVP and then FMVP in another win over the Cavs. Now I will be happy everytime they lose. I am not big on using the word "hate" to describe an athlete for switching teams. But I completely agree with you. People, like myself, who loved the splash bros, all the wins, and supported Durant in OKC, are now switching allegiances. I want them to go down in round 1. I want Draymond to get called for his illegal screens. I want Klay Thompson to go cold in the biggest moments. I want someone to steal Curry's damn mouth piece so he can't chew it on national tv. That is almost as bad as Lebron with the fingernails. And I want Durant to ruin the flow of the offense with his iso ball. The reality is they are too good not to get +60 wins in their sleep. If healthy. But 60 wins will be underachieving... there will be a fresh narrative after every lose what went wrong. More scrutiny than last year and this team with a more negative backdrop. There will be boos. And are we really sure Steph and Durant's arrogance and ego won't lead to a dramatic villain moment...ala the mouthpiece toss in the Finals?

I was with you (well, understanding your position) until calling the mouthpiece toss a "villain moment". It happened to hit someone (hilariously, the filthy rich son of a Cavs owner) - who Curry apologized to immediately and tried to meet up with after the game - but he had just been fouled out of the NBA Finals for largely tick-tack fouls. You think it's ego-driven 'villain' type behavior to blow up in frustration there? Can't get behind that.

Anyway, more to the point, really the most realistic worst case scenario for GS will be if they have a rocky start to the season with KD taking too many ISO shots, and it comes to light from the media that Draymond is calling him out in practice, etc. Then, they get into a tough battle with San Antonio in the WCF with KD again taking too many ill-advised shots in the series, ultimately losing to the Spurs and their advantage in the interior.

That all could very well happen, especially as it's year 1 of the experiment, and year 1's of these types of things don't work out as often as they do (Miami Big 3, Malone on the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, etc). Granted, I think the Warriors have a number of things in their favor in this case that will allow them to have massive success immediately.

Personally, I don't think they're worried about "hate" as much as some want them to be. For one, they will still be MASSIVELY popular to the general fan (they will draw even bigger crowds/spectacles than in their 25-0 start), and frankly they will be so fun to watch and so good on offense that the jeering fans just won't have much ammo. They will shut the detractors up very quickly most nights (you can only boo so long when a team is flying up and down the court putting up 15 points on dunks and lobs in a 4 minute span).

FlashBolt
07-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Curry's villain moment came when his wife opened her mouth. She's an idiot for not thinking that will affect her life coming forward. Maybe people will forget it but man, was that stupid or what.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2016, 01:46 PM

I am on the exact same page. I am now anti Warriors.

Scoots
07-05-2016, 02:04 PM

What if the move was largely prompted by his "brother" telling him he was going to LA next year? In effect his brother telling him to move now because he wouldn't have the same chances next year. Is the move okay then? How about Harden and Reggie and Ibaka being moved? How about seeing teammates shipped out and then seeing Kanter get a max deal?

I love it when a player stays one place for their whole career, but there are also times to move on. Kobe basically ruined the Lakers for a few years ... but at least he was "loyal".

tredigs
07-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Curry's villain moment came when his wife opened her mouth. She's an idiot for not thinking that will affect her life coming forward. Maybe people will forget it but man, was that stupid or what.

Really, only to mouth-breathers who assume that a person can not have their own voice and their own fans/detractors. I know plenty of Bill supporters who can't get behind Hillary, but maybe that's just me. Plus, I think her thoughts (sadly) resonated with a ton of people.

Scoots
07-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Yeah, but that's not even Steph's moment, and I think it will quickly be forgotten. There is a long history of loved ones saying dumb stuff on social media and her calling the NBA fixed is hardly the first time that's happened.

Scoots
07-05-2016, 02:08 PM

It's not like you were particularly pro-warriors before. However I am totally pro-twolves. Can't wait to watch them play this year.

Tony_Starks
07-05-2016, 02:09 PM

This is pretty ironic coming from someone who had the poms poms out for the Miami conglomerate....

tredigs
07-05-2016, 02:13 PM
What if the move was largely prompted by his "brother" telling him he was going to LA next year? In effect his brother telling him to move now because he wouldn't have the same chances next year. Is the move okay then? How about Harden and Reggie and Ibaka being moved? How about seeing teammates shipped out and then seeing Kanter get a max deal?

I love it when a player stays one place for their whole career, but there are also times to move on. Kobe basically ruined the Lakers for a few years ... but at least he was "loyal".

You're getting into the actual reality of the situation here.

KD: "Russ, I'm torn here, what are you thinking next season, we sticking this out together?"

RW: "I don't know man, I've always wanted to get back to LA before my career was over, I can't say for sure. You do you".

-insert KD's available options- the fact that he already is tight with Curry and Iggy (the only three guys who would go to church together every day for Team USA, for one), his options to both win and increase his marketability by living in the heart of the Bay Area (remember, new arena coming in SF), and you can see why someone would make a choice like this.

I'm just saying, we can't pretend that a conversation similar to the one above could not have been a very realistic scenario, and ultimately turned the tide on his decision to leave. There's a lot that goes on in these decisions beyond them trying to keep the most amount of parity for the NBA (shocker, I know).

tredigs
07-05-2016, 02:14 PM
It's not like you were particularly pro-warriors before. However I am totally pro-twolves. Can't wait to watch them play this year.

Haha. +1 on both counts. Starks brings up a valid point as well. You and many others loved the Miami conglomerate. And as much as we can pretend that there are no parallels, it was definitely a move that opened the door for more decisions like the one KD just made.

Tony_Starks
07-05-2016, 02:19 PM
You're getting into the actual reality of the situation here.

KD: "Russ, I'm torn here, what are you thinking next season, we sticking this out together?"

RW: "I don't know man, I've always wanted to get back to LA before my career was over, I can't say for sure. You do you".

-insert KD's available options- the fact that he already is tight with Curry and Iggy (the only three guys who would go to church together every day for Team USA, for one), his options to both win and increase his marketability by living in the heart of the Bay Area (remember, new arena coming in SF), and you can see why someone would make a choice like this.

I'm just saying, we can't pretend that a conversation similar to the one above could not have been a very realistic scenario, and ultimately turned the tide on his decision to leave. There's a lot that goes on in these decisions beyond them trying to keep the most amount of parity for the NBA (shocker, I know).

Pretty much how I see it.

"Hey man do your thing and if you want we can link back up in LA....either way it goes next year I'm out!"

He knows Russ ain't sticking around, this last run against the Dubs was OKCs best shot and they know it.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2016, 02:25 PM
This is pretty ironic coming from someone who had the poms poms out for the Miami conglomerate....

I was indifferent to Miami prior, and at that point, was wanting LeBron to win so everyone could stfu. If Durant was hated for not winning, I would have already hopped on his side too, but he has been the darling I am already annoyed with the Warriors after this years playoffs.

Furthermore, I think this is different than leaving a crappy Cavs roster, and going to lead your own team to a title. This is leaving a real contender, to join a super team that has already succeeded without you. On a 1 year deal no less. I still won't hold it against him when ranking him, he is a grown man that fulfilled his contract. He has every right to do what he wants. But this is fairly sally, considering what he left, and what he went to. Far more harsh than LeBron's situation.

I think the thing I am most curious about is, I would love to see if alllllllllll those people who bashed LeBron are going to do the same here.

MarkieMark48
07-05-2016, 02:30 PM
I was indifferent to Miami prior, and at that point, was wanting LeBron to win so everyone could stfu. If Durant was hated for not winning, I would have already hopped on his side too, but he has been the darling I am already annoyed with the Warriors after this years playoffs.

Furthermore, I think this is different than leaving a crappy Cavs roster, and going to lead your own team to a title. This is leaving a real contender, to join a super team that has already succeeded without you. On a 1 year deal no less. I still won't hold it against him when ranking him, he is a grown man that fulfilled his contract. He has every right to do what he wants. But this is fairly sally, considering what he left, and what he went to. Far more harsh than LeBron's situation.

I think the thing I am most curious about is, I would love to see if alllllllllll those people who bashed LeBron are going to do the same here.

:clap:

tredigs
07-05-2016, 02:36 PM

Of course not. He is being bashed by everyone, but it will never be as loud as LBJ's "betrayal" to the Cleveland fans. He was the hometown Ohio kid and "The Chosen One" who promised the city titles. The reigning b2b MVP for his 66 win contender and biggest star in the world of sports. And the 2 years of CONSTANT banter about his decision ultimately culminated in a TV show where he said he was joining some other top guys in Miami.

I mean, in your heart of hearts did you think even for a SECOND that KD would receive a similar backlash? Ironically, it is LBJ's star and LBJ's decision that ultimately dampens the blow on KD's decision. You can argue the merits of one versus the other (I agree KD's on paper is more 'lame' concerning basketball reasons alone), but the context is on two different planes, and that is what drives reactions.

Edit: Also consider that Lebron's decision came during the Kobe V Lebron years (where Lebron was widely considered the better regular season player by casual fans, but Kobe the one who had the "winners mentality"). By far the largest fanbase in basketball? Lakers fans of course. And they definitely drove the dialogue when it came to piling on Lebron for taking the easy way out. You just aren't going to see that with KD. He's not the polarizing cross-cultural *MEGA*Star that was Lebron at his peak at the time.

JAZZNC
07-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Anybody that thinks they aren't going to get hate doesn't see that Draymond Green is on the team. That overrated loudmouth is very easy to hate. Its been a long time since I absolutely couldn't stand an NBA player but I can't stand that guy. I honestly want HIM to fail. I really like the rest of the team and I hate he's a part of it but he is just so easy to dislike. Add the fact that some people think he is MVP level and it just ratchets my dislike for Green even more. He is just a douche and the fakest "tough" guy we've seen since KG....at least KG was good enough to kind of ignore his tough guy "act". And eventually his act is going to wear thin with refs and other teams and he is going to start getting techs and start getting targeted by other teams for his B.S. Busch league antics.

I am interested to see how his **** talking to everyone is going to go over with KD. The first time he doesn't rotate properly etc. and Green gets in his face yelling at him....its going to be interesting.

Tony_Starks
07-05-2016, 02:44 PM

You do realize that Lebron is the architect of this super team extravaganza right? He just as recently as last year said he still wants to play with CP3, Melo and Wade. He has done for Super Teaming what Ice Cube did for the Jerri Curl.

The fact that KD and the crew may beat Lebron using a strategy HE made popular is nothing but poetic justice.

Ty Fast
07-05-2016, 02:51 PM
They don't win the Title. It is Title or bust for this team.

CardinalRed24
07-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Worst case scenario for these new and improved Warriors? They only manage to win 60 games this year and their opponent in the finals sneaks in a W to push the series to game 5.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Of course not. He is being bashed by everyone, but it will never be as loud as LBJ's "betrayal" to the Cleveland fans. He was the hometown Ohio kid and "The Chosen One" who promised the city titles. The reigning b2b MVP for his 66 win contender and biggest star in the world of sports. And the 2 years of CONSTANT banter about his decision ultimately culminated in a TV show where he said he was joining some other top guys in Miami.

I mean, in your heart of hearts did you think even for a SECOND that KD would receive a similar backlash? Ironically, it is LBJ's star and LBJ's decision that ultimately dampens the blow on KD's decision. You can argue the merits of one versus the other (I agree KD's on paper is more 'lame' concerning basketball reasons alone), but the context is on two different planes, and that is what drives reactions.

Edit: Also consider that Lebron's decision came during the Kobe V Lebron years (where Lebron was widely considered the better regular season player by casual fans, but Kobe the one who had the "winners mentality"). By far the largest fanbase in basketball? Lakers fans of course. And they definitely drove the dialogue when it came to piling on Lebron for taking the easy way out. You just aren't going to see that with KD. He's not the polarizing cross-cultural *MEGA*Star that was Lebron at his peak at the time.

of course Durant won't get the backlash, he is everyone's darling. Hell the only reason I even started pulling for LeBron around 2008 is all the hate he was getting. After his 1st title, I stopped caring really.

Just ironic how people act.

It's funny what people choose to get all worked up about.

Do people remember Durant's comment on not liking super teams back in 2010? Ironic, although we all have the right to change our minds..as he did

valade16
07-05-2016, 03:53 PM
The worst case scenario is they don't win the title. However that manifests is irrelevant. If they don't win the title with this collection of talent it is the most underwhelming and disappointing season in NBA history.

Scoots
07-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Anybody that thinks they aren't going to get hate doesn't see that Draymond Green is on the team. That overrated loudmouth is very easy to hate. Its been a long time since I absolutely couldn't stand an NBA player but I can't stand that guy. I honestly want HIM to fail. I really like the rest of the team and I hate he's a part of it but he is just so easy to dislike. Add the fact that some people think he is MVP level and it just ratchets my dislike for Green even more. He is just a douche and the fakest "tough" guy we've seen since KG....at least KG was good enough to kind of ignore his tough guy "act". And eventually his act is going to wear thin with refs and other teams and he is going to start getting techs and start getting targeted by other teams for his B.S. Busch league antics.

I am interested to see how his **** talking to everyone is going to go over with KD. The first time he doesn't rotate properly etc. and Green gets in his face yelling at him....its going to be interesting.

The problem with that though is that the press need to go along to spread the message of hate and the press just don't hate Draymond. They like him. Even the refs like him. Yeah he's a dick, but apparently he's personable when you are not his opponent on the floor.

MarkieMark48
07-05-2016, 07:17 PM

That's a good point there at the end. Many of the people that hated Lebron for it was Kobe fans that wanted a reason bash/discredit him incase he matched kobes rings... now those same people are happy bc this possibly blocks(or makes it a hell of a lot tougher) for Lebron to get 5 championships

KnicksorBust
07-05-2016, 08:16 PM
I was with you (well, understanding your position) until calling the mouthpiece toss a "villain moment". It happened to hit someone (hilariously, the filthy rich son of a Cavs owner) - who Curry apologized to immediately and tried to meet up with after the game - but he had just been fouled out of the NBA Finals for largely tick-tack fouls. You think it's ego-driven 'villain' type behavior to blow up in frustration there? Can't get behind that.

Anyway, more to the point, really the most realistic worst case scenario for GS will be if they have a rocky start to the season with KD taking too many ISO shots, and it comes to light from the media that Draymond is calling him out in practice, etc. Then, they get into a tough battle with San Antonio in the WCF with KD again taking too many ill-advised shots in the series, ultimately losing to the Spurs and their advantage in the interior.

That all could very well happen, especially as it's year 1 of the experiment, and year 1's of these types of things don't work out as often as they do (Miami Big 3, Malone on the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, etc). Granted, I think the Warriors have a number of things in their favor in this case that will allow them to have massive success immediately.

Personally, I don't think they're worried about "hate" as much as some want them to be. For one, they will still be MASSIVELY popular to the general fan (they will draw even bigger crowds/spectacles than in their 25-0 start), and frankly they will be so fun to watch and so good on offense that the jeering fans just won't have much ammo. They will shut the detractors up very quickly most nights (you can only boo so long when a team is flying up and down the court putting up 15 points on dunks and lobs in a 4 minute span).

I was with a large group of people watching that game. Men and women. And he was called "disgusting", "gross," "a punk," "whiny baby," and worse. Not one person in the room supported what he did. The way he was laughing about it too. Honestly people looked over at me and I was like I got nothing. I felt like I was watching a grown man throw a temper tantrum. Then he tried to act like he was so cool by laughing it off like the refs were crazy when he clearly hacked on the play. Why are you reaching 80 feet from the basket when you are 1 foul from being fouled out? It was his fault.

We are in lock step on the last paragraph some people are going to gravitate toward an incredibly successful team still but they will face hostile crowds. I just feel like we are miles apart on the mouthpiece thing. :laugh: The media coverage on that was brutal too. You had to have seen it.

KnicksorBust
07-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Well but that is pure speculation. A wild guess of an unknown private conversation that may never have happened doesn't alleviate any of the heat on Durant. You know that. And honestly... you can't tell me that OKC did a worse job giving Durant a contender than the Cavs. You can point at individual mistakes but drafting Westbrook alone was better than anything Cleveland did in 7 years with LeBron. To be perfectly honest if Durant went to Boston it wouldn't be nearly the betrayal in my eyes. It's leaving OKC to go to the team that just beat you coming back from a 3-1 deficit and not only did you fail to lead your team to the Finals but you tapped out like a punk in the offseason. You bowed the knee and said save me. I hate to keep coming back to the 2010 comment but he has the balls to call out people for going to Miami and LAL and then did the ultimate kiss the ring. I'll always hate the Red Sox more than any other sports team but I just don't bother watching them unless it's against the Yanks. This will be the most times I will actively be seeking out to watch a team's games just to root against them. It's bizarre. It's entertaining. But I just don't want this to work for them. I don't want them to get injured. I hope they play all 82 games. Get their rest and everything. I just want them to crumble under the pressure. Not know how to close games. Get stuck going against fluky hot games like Jason Terry in the finals, or Robert Horry type clutch shots crushing their hopes. Let a team like the Wolves get an #8 seed and scare the **** out of them by taking it to 6 games. Then the Spurs somehow only end up as the #4 seed and knock them out in the 2nd round. Or maybe... just maybe... we get the ultimate. Cavs vs. Warriors III. LeBron/Kyrie vs. the Big 4. 4 of the top 25 players in the league. Probably 3 of the top 10. Definitely 2 of the top 5. And LeBron just stomps their hearts out again with uncanny 3pt daggers beating them at their own game. And LeBron reigns supreme as people rise him to #2 goat status. Now that my friend, would be a worst case scenario.

Vincent
07-05-2016, 08:33 PM
The bar is super high now

Anything short of a title is going to be a huge disappointment.

JAZZNC
07-05-2016, 09:39 PM
The problem with that though is that the press need to go along to spread the message of hate and the press just don't hate Draymond. They like him. Even the refs like him. Yeah he's a dick, but apparently he's personable when you are not his opponent on the floor.

I know. And he is GREAT with the media which makes me dislike him even more because he won't screw up haha! He's not dumb, he just acts like a complete douche on the court and I think he's just not good enough to act like that. He just irks the he'll outta me. Like you said though I highly doubt the media get down on him. However, IMO he is the kinda guy who could go flat ridiculous in an instant. It wouldn't take but a single incident for the whole narrative to change.

One Nut Kruk
07-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I fail to see how a guy, as a free agent, joining a team full of stars that were drafted by said team is anything close to guys colluding to all go to one destination. At least this Warriors "super team" was homegrown for the most part.

I don't care one way or the other. I'm not a Warriors fan. Just sounds like a lot of jealous/scared fans of the Cavs and other Western Conference teams to me.

Scoots
07-06-2016, 01:27 AM
I fail to see how a guy, as a free agent, joining a team full of stars that were drafted by said team is anything close to guys colluding to all go to one destination. At least this Warriors "super team" was homegrown for the most part.

I don't care one way or the other. I'm not a Warriors fan. Just sounds like a lot of jealous/scared fans of the Cavs and other Western Conference teams to me.

I agree ... and love your name Kruk. One of the funniest guys I've ever seed in sports.

lol, please
07-06-2016, 05:19 AM
of course Durant won't get the backlash, he is everyone's darling. Hell the only reason I even started pulling for LeBron around 2008 is all the hate he was getting. After his 1st title, I stopped caring really.

Just ironic how people act.

It's funny what people choose to get all worked up about.

Do people remember Durant's comment on not liking super teams back in 2010? Ironic, although we all have the right to change our minds..as he did

Ironic why? Why should he get any backlash at all?

lol, please
07-06-2016, 05:20 AM

Well freaking said.

The comparisons are pathetic, there is a huge difference in how the Warriors build this juggernaut of a team, and say, what the Lakers tried to do when they brought in Nash and Howard.

Hawkeye15
07-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Ironic why? Why should he get any backlash at all?

if you can't beat them, join them. Literally. Leaving a very good cast for the best cast on paper in history, that just eliminated him.

That is why. But, again, I could care less in all reality, it's what he does now that matters. I just find it hilarious that someone would crap on LeBron for his actions, and not crap on Durant for his.

One Nut Kruk
07-06-2016, 10:12 AM
To be honest, I didn't really care what Lebron did either. I just hated "the decision" and all the tv bullcrap that went with it

KnicksorBust
07-06-2016, 09:55 PM
To be honest, I didn't really care what Lebron did either. I just hated "the decision" and all the tv bullcrap that went with it

Yeah I was so pissed that they used "the decision" to raise $6 million for charity. Piece of ****.

FlashBolt
07-06-2016, 10:05 PM
Yeah I was so pissed that they used "the decision" to raise $6 million for charity. Piece of ****.

I know he had good intentions but it wasn't a good move PR wise. Yeah, it's money to help something he cares about but it could have been done differently. MUCH differently.

JasonJohnHorn
07-06-2016, 11:07 PM
Worst case scenario is they only win 79 games by an average margin of 14.7 points, and despite going 16-0 in the post season, only win by single digits on four occassions.

hamburger
07-06-2016, 11:48 PM
The bar is super high now

Anything short of a title is going to be a huge disappointment.

Ya, pretty much. It can get worse. How? If the team chemistry falls apart. If people start some personal funk like we saw in LA with Bryant and Shaq. I don't think it will happen but it's going to be a different roster this season. I enjoy watching them all have genuine fun together every game. I hope that continues. Title or no title.

Chrisclover
07-07-2016, 12:41 AM
Worst case scenario is they only win 79 games by an average margin of 14.7 points, and despite going 16-0 in the post season, only win by single digits on four occassions.
Lol, you are hyper optimistic. I say they will get 60 wins by an average margin of 10 points.

One Nut Kruk
07-07-2016, 12:43 AM
I know he had good intentions but it wasn't a good move PR wise. Yeah, it's money to help something he cares about but it could have been done differently. MUCH differently.

No, no , no...an egotistical, self promoting spectacle was the only way...