PDA

View Full Version : The "Aging Superstar"

Wade n Fade
07-04-2016, 04:00 PM
What is the right approach to deal with a "superstar" that has been the face of a franchise?

Is it the Boston approach? To put together as much of a contending team while re-upping the core guys to deals and hoping for a major break? When is it the right time to get rid of one? Are we too fascinated with people staying put with a team for their entire career?

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Signing when you're 31 so you can still get the max and then acknowledging that you suck and aren't worth a max so you sign for much less. The narrative is that you have to pay loyalty.. Well, Wade DID win and if that's what he wants to do, that's a sacrifice he has to pin on himself. No one is forcing Wade to take less. If he wants to win, he has to take less. That's a fact.

SportsFanatic10
07-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Signing when you're 31 so you can still get the max and then acknowledging that you suck and aren't worth a max so you sign for much less. The narrative is that you have to pay loyalty.. Well, Wade DID win and if that's what he wants to do, that's a sacrifice he has to pin on himself. No one is forcing Wade to take less. If he wants to win, he has to take less. That's a fact.

You can't pretend to know what promises were made behind closed doors though, or what exact reasons he's taken less for as well. For instance, he's taken less just to keep Haslem around, etc. Sure it's not smart business to take less and expect it back later even if that was what you were told would happen. But the Heat coming out with a 10M offer to start 2 years in a row to him, and especially now on this market...man no one should blame him for being insulted about that. Come on now...

Wade n Fade
07-04-2016, 04:13 PM

But is there a clear distinct line to decide when to retain players? I know this isn't that good of a comparison, but look at the NY Yankees? They have older vets and little to show for in their farm system. Miami is in a similar situation because a lot of picks are owed to other teams via trade. In addition, Chris Bosh's health is a huge unknown.

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 04:27 PM
You can't pretend to know what promises were made behind closed doors though, or what exact reasons he's taken less for as well. For instance, he's taken less just to keep Haslem around, etc. Sure it's not smart business to take less and expect it back later even if that was what you were told would happen. But the Heat coming out with a 10M offer to start 2 years in a row to him, and especially now on this market...man no one should blame him for being insulted about that. Come on now...

$10 million is an insult but how much does Wade want? I think $18-20 million is the right amount. Even then, are we going to blame the Heat for trying to compete and win a title or unrealistically pay Wade a high amount because he's been their most important player? At some point, there has to be a point made that we are a business and as much as we like to pay you, we won't be able to compete for a championship. That's a sacrifice Wade took. He won championships, the stardom, the celebrations with winning. You can't put a price on that. Let's assume Wade does take the max and doesn't sacrifice. I very much doubt he would have three rings.

But is there a clear distinct line to decide when to retain players? I know this isn't that good of a comparison, but look at the NY Yankees? They have older vets and little to show for in their farm system. Miami is in a similar situation because a lot of picks are owed to other teams via trade. In addition, Chris Bosh's health is a huge unknown.

The distinction is up to Wade to make. Realistically, he isn't a max player and he should realize that. He can't be expecting Miami to pay him more than he is worth when other teams aren't going to be doing the same. I mean, are the Miami Heat a donation center or a NBA basketball team? The team comes first. $10 million was disrespect but $18-20 is more than enough for Wade. If he doesn't see that, go and test the market and find a team willing to pay more.

SportsFanatic10
07-04-2016, 04:34 PM
I don't think Wade is looking to max out, but something like 22M/yr for 3 years sounds fair with the contracts that are being handed out so far. I mean, there's lots of non max players getting maxed all around the league right now. Bosh is sitting there making his 24M and not even playing, Wade might as well get paid fair value for carrying the burden on a team that can't realistically be a serious contender at the moment.

Wade n Fade
07-04-2016, 04:43 PM
$10 million is an insult but how much does Wade want? I think $18-20 million is the right amount. Even then, are we going to blame the Heat for trying to compete and win a title or unrealistically pay Wade a high amount because he's been their most important player? At some point, there has to be a point made that we are a business and as much as we like to pay you, we won't be able to compete for a championship. That's a sacrifice Wade took. He won championships, the stardom, the celebrations with winning. You can't put a price on that. Let's assume Wade does take the max and doesn't sacrifice. I very much doubt he would have three rings.

The distinction is up to Wade to make. Realistically, he isn't a max player and he should realize that. He can't be expecting Miami to pay him more than he is worth when other teams aren't going to be doing the same. I mean, are the Miami Heat a donation center or a NBA basketball team? The team comes first. $10 million was disrespect but $18-20 is more than enough for Wade. If he doesn't see that, go and test the market and find a team willing to pay more.

I agree that team first is the way to go. I feel like Miami has no choice but to pay up to protect its national reputation among FAs. It's really an ugly mess for both sides.

But what about other stars in different situations? I want to know what would be the best general approach to the aging superstar. The Boston way fascinated me because they managed to contend and then fleece teams for assets. I know that not every trading partner will have Billy King, but still, when is it the right time to say thanks Paul, but we are going to find a spot you like and try to work for the betterment of our future?