PDA

View Full Version : Bogut Barnes, and Ezeli: will their loss hurt chemistry?

JasonJohnHorn
07-04-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm quite excited about the addition of Durant to the Warriors, but I'm worried to see the Warriors let three players go, most especially Bogut.

Part of what made the Warriors so deadly is the fact that every guy on the floor could pass and shoot. Bogut was an adept passer for a big man, and had a decent 15-footer (at least in the games I saw). Barnes, though he had a bad series in the finals, has spread the floor and moved the ball well. Ezeli, admittedly is there more for rebounding and shot-blocking, but he was a key cog.

Will the loss of these players hurt their overall chemistry? What will their answer be at C? Who will they bring in? Can Draymond handle an entire season at C? Moving him will bring Iggy off the bench. Will this impact their depth chart? Can Varejao fill the gap? Does he have anything left in the tank?

Thoughts?

Aust
07-04-2016, 04:01 PM
I think it hurts the depth more than chemistry.

Vinylman
07-04-2016, 04:14 PM
If they get a TPE for bogut they will still be able to trade for someone later

ManRam
07-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Yeah, depth more than chemistry. Though I don't think it's a big blow in terms of depth either. Ezeli floundered, and KD can guard the same positions Barnes could. Not that really any of really know how much of a role these guys play in the locker room and in terms of chemistry. Both were young, and by all indications not the most prevalent voices in the locker room.

GoferKing_
07-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Barnes is out.

TrueFan420
07-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Yeah, depth more than chemistry. Though I don't think it's a big blow in terms of depth either. Ezeli floundered, and KD can guard the same positions Barnes could. Not that really any of really know how much of a role these guys play in the locker room and in terms of chemistry. Both were young, and by all indications not the most prevalent voices in the locker room.
Boguts presence will be missed the others won't

tredigs
07-04-2016, 04:35 PM
There is nothing about losing a 22 m/year Barnes that is a negative. There is no facet of basketball that Durant is not far better than him at. Their hole is now at C, which is somewhat mitigated by their draft pick (Damian Jones. Big/athletic 21 yr old 7 footer), but they'll need to find someone else to take hits defensively. Offensively, it doesn't matter. Any "playmaking" loss from Bogut is more than off-set by KD. The C will just need to catch lobs on the offensive end. It's possible that Damian Jones may just end up being their starter; he had 3 years of college and proved to be a pretty strong defender and is super springy. Weak rebounder though. We'll see how he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofK5mlpScVs

GoferKing_
07-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Bogut is gone. Close thread.xD

J_M_B
07-04-2016, 04:41 PM
There is nothing about losing a 22 m/year Barnes that is a negative. There is no facet of basketball that Durant is not far better than him at. Their hole is now at C, which is somewhat mitigated by their draft pick (Damian Jones. Big/athletic 21 yr old 7 footer), but they'll need to find someone else to take hits defensively. Offensively, it doesn't matter. Any "playmaking" loss from Bogut is more than off-set by KD. The C will just need to catch lobs on the offensive end. It's possible that Damian Jones may just end up being their starter; he had 3 years of college and proved to be a pretty strong defender and is super springy. Weak rebounder though. We'll see how he does.

Willie Reed could be a really good under the radar signing for you guys.

Cracka2HI!
07-04-2016, 04:59 PM
I think there could be a short term problem with their depth and chemistry . It wouldn't surprise me if they don't win 73 games but they will be the frontrunner to win it all for years to come.

cmellofan15
07-04-2016, 05:08 PM
why worry about anything when you have two reigning mvps on your team?

Bostonjorge
07-04-2016, 05:42 PM
They just need to add some cheap vets. KG would be the perfect replacement. Artest, Hibbert, David west, would be good replacements. They need some tough vets. Maybe bring is Richard Jefferson.

ManRam
07-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Yeah...for some reason I both missed Bogut in the title and in my mind. He's the one that matters.

Not that I think "going big" can beat the Warriors, but that's gotta be the only hope right now. They don't have a big.

Scoots
07-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Barnes is a better defender and was willing to defend bigs inside. With KD those things are "we'll see" right now. In addition to that we have to hope KD can learn and fit into a complex offense and not resort to the iso game early in the shot clock when he's frustrated.

Scoots
07-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Bogut is gone. Close thread.xD

That's the point of the thread. Bogut, Barnes, and Ezeli are gone, what does it do to the Warriors?

hugepatsfan
07-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Maybe but it won't matter because they're so ****ing stacked lol

Scoots
07-04-2016, 05:52 PM

I mentioned Willie a couple weeks ago and earlier today. The one I hadn't thought about who came up was Larry Sanders.

tredigs
07-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Barnes is a better defender and was willing to defend bigs inside. With KD those things are "we'll see" right now. In addition to that we have to hope KD can learn and fit into a complex offense and not resort to the iso game early in the shot clock when he's frustrated.

You just said Harrison Barnes is a better defender than Kevin Durant....

.... and you are a Warriors fan who watched the Western Conference Finals?

Scoots
07-04-2016, 05:55 PM
You just said Harrison Barnes is a better defender than Kevin Durant....

.... and you are a Warriors fan who watched the Western Conference Finals?

Durant gets manhandled by bigs when he even tries to defend them. The Warriors ability to defend size is a real concern right now.

Vee-Rex
07-04-2016, 05:57 PM
This team is not winning 73 games, and the reason being is simply chemistry.

Although everyone is celebrating and cheering and proclaiming them as the GOAT team, I warn GS fans: the pressure will be monumental and unprecedented. Because of the sheer amount of talent, they'll most certainly win games on that alone. They may or may not find their stride during the latter part of the season, but if they don't have it by the time they face a team like the Spurs then they can definitely fall short.

It's gonna be interesting. Prepare yourselves for the hate. LeBron-joining-Miami comparisons aside (who cares which was worse, etc...), Durant joining GS feels cheap and the media is gonna tear that team apart if they don't quickly overcome their early struggles (anything short of like 35-6 after 41 games is probably gonna be heavily scrutinized).

SportsFanatic10
07-04-2016, 05:58 PM

Shhhh...I'm still hoping the Heat will nab him to backup Whiteside lol.

Pfeifer
07-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Is Tyson Chandler available or any good anymore? Haven't seen him play lately.

tredigs
07-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Durant gets manhandled by bigs when he even tries to defend them. The Warriors ability to defend size is a real concern right now.

If you're talking specifically about Barnes V KD's ability to guard 4's, then I suppose that's close to a wash. At everything else, KD murders Barnes defensively. He looked like a top 3 defender in the NBA during the post-season. As with ALL things Barnes, he was a middling defender. Elite at no facet of D.

But yes, they'll need some more size other than the rookie. Their bigs are worse, but it's worth the trade-off, especially considering no contender has an elite offensive center. Well, maybe the Spurs with Pau now, but he's not much of an imposing force at this point.