PDA

View Full Version : With KD + Ibaka gone, can Westbrook average a triple double?

JasonJohnHorn
07-04-2016, 02:15 PM
I realize this is HIGHLY unlikely, but there are few instances where a player in possession of his prime skills in on a team that needs him to extol them throughout the course of an entire season.

This may be OKC the situation in this upcoming season.

We saw Jordan in the early year with the Bulls take over. We saw T-Mac do this in Orlando, and Kobe do this when Jackson cam back and after Shaq left and before Gasol came on board.

Westbrook, who is not shy from dictating the pace of the game and forcing his will on the flow of a game, will be the Thunder's best chance to get a playoff position and make a run (which they still can).

What kind of numbers is he going to post?

Triple doubles? 30+ 8 and 8?

What do you expect out him?

As excited as I am to see what the Warriors do next season, I'm equally excited to see what Westbrook is going to pull out.

Chronz
07-04-2016, 04:13 PM
I expect him to have one of his lesser seasons statistically. He already dominated the ball a ton and lost his easy assist target. He could average the closest numbers to achieving that arbitrary mark but its impossible to get the 10 boards unless he completely gives up on defending and just chases boards

DboneG
07-04-2016, 06:34 PM
" its impossible to get the 10 boards ".....No. It's not hard to get 10 boards from the guard position, because, teams shoot the 3 more. Long rebounds. You don't have to NOT defend your guy to get a long rebound. Shot is in the air...you go rebound. You won't be far from it because a lot of shot today are 3's. A 3pt' shot tend to be a ball bouncing further away from the basket...long rebound.

strahan92osi72
07-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Teams are gonna be keying on him now, so IDK. He'll still beast, but triple double. I think his PPG may go up a bit but with less efficiency, don't forget he's on his own now.

ManRam
07-04-2016, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I don't think his numbers change too much. Maybe an uptick in PPG. I think he's a serious MVP candidate so long as they can win 50+ games. I'll be rooting like hell for him and Vic and Billy D.

DboneG
07-04-2016, 06:51 PM
The reason I say he can't do it is the minutes played. Westbrook would have to be on the floor a awfully lot in order to get those kind of numbers. He'd wear himself out...OKC would have to look ahead. Thinking playoffs, being healthy...bla bla bla. Different kind of athlete today.

Oscar did it, he was playing 43/46 minutes a game. He was a iron man.

tredigs
07-04-2016, 06:59 PM
I could see a max of 29/9/8 if he puts in 36 mpg. His per-36 assists will drop without KD, but his rebounds could rise a bit with no KD and Ibaka (though obviously the vast majority of those just go to the replacement bigs). That said, I could also see them falling as he will be taxed more offensively. He'll be less efficient, and likely take more shots, but actually averaging a 3x2 all year is just not going to happen. He'd need to play 42+ mpg, and he's a 34 mpg player (never averaged more than 35).

tredigs
07-04-2016, 07:00 PM
The reason I say he can't do it is the minutes played. Westbrook would have to be on the floor a awfully lot in order to get those kind of numbers. He'd wear himself out...OKC would have to look ahead. Thinking playoffs, being healthy...bla bla bla. Different kind of athlete today.

Oscar did it, he was playing 43/46 minutes a game. He was a iron man.

As well as in a league with far worse team defense and WAY more possessions per game.

IndyRealist
07-04-2016, 07:05 PM
With their losses, aren't they better off slowing the pace and going super big with Kanter and Adams both on the floor?