PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Tim Duncan 'leaning strongly' toward retiring

NYKnickFanatic
07-04-2016, 01:31 PM
One of the NBA's all-time icons San Antonio Spurs center Tim Duncan is leaning strongly toward retirement, a decision that would end an illustrious 19-season NBA career, league sources told The Vertical.

Tim Duncan has won five championships with the Spurs. (Getty Images)
Duncan has left team officials, close associates and friends with a strong belief he's preparing to make an announcement in the near future on his departure, sources said.

The Spurs have been aggressively pursuing center Pau Gasol in free agency.

Duncan recently elected to exercise the $5.6 million player option on his 2016-17 contract a payment the Spurs could still make to Duncan regardless of whether he plays or retires.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--tim-duncan--leaning-strongly--toward-retiring-171549534.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Heard KD was joining the Warriors and was like, "**** this." Lol

If true, an all time great, a legend, will be missed. Couldn't stand Duncan when I was younger, hated him when the Spurs beat us in '99. Learned to respect and appreciate him as I got older.

hugepatsfan
07-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Everyone who doesn't play for Golden State should retire lol

GoferKing_
07-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Tim is a legend. No point in playing in the league right now.

kdspurman
07-04-2016, 01:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--tim-duncan--leaning-strongly--toward-retiring-171549534.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Heard KD was joining the Warriors and was like, "**** this." Lol

If true, an all time great, a legend, will be missed. Couldn't stand Duncan when I was younger, hated him when the Spurs beat us in '99. Learned to respect and appreciate him as I got older.

Word was even weeks ago they, (FO) believed he was retiring, the Durant thing had nothing to do with it. Partly why I changed my sig a couple weeks ago lol

But man... I hope he has 1 more left in him, but the knee injury was a real set back for him. :(

I

Aust
07-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Cmon Tim, one more season :(

asandhu23
07-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Goodbye Tim Duncan. Thank you.

asandhu23
07-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Cmon Tim, one more season :(

would you like to use that pitch? 1000 RP

KnicksorBust
07-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Word was even weeks ago they, (FO) believed he was retiring, the Durant thing had nothing to do with it. Partly why I changed my sig a couple weeks ago lol

But man... I hope he has 1 more left in him, but the knee injury was a real set back for him. :(

I

I hate saying this but I actually hope he does retire. I hated to see him scoring like 3ppg and barely playing in that OKC series. That was depressing. As recently as two years ago he was still a legit role player and defensive center who knew the system better than anyone. But now it's clearly Kawhi-Aldridge's team and of course if he wants to try and play another season that's his choice but I hate seeing these all-time great bigs (like my man Pat Ewing) drag themselves to the end of their careers. The part of his career that people won't give Duncan enough credit for his that people thought he was done in 2011. There were threads about him then. I'm pretty sure even I said he'd be out of the league in 3 years. The fact that he tacked on another championship and bumped back up his per game stats over the last 5 years is a testament to his greatness. I have him in my all-time top 5 and think he is an absolute legend and role model.

AllBall
07-04-2016, 02:12 PM
End of an era

kdspurman
07-04-2016, 02:19 PM
I hate saying this but I actually hope he does retire. I hated to see him scoring like 3ppg and barely playing in that OKC series. That was depressing. As recently as two years ago he was still a legit role player and defensive center who knew the system better than anyone. But now it's clearly Kawhi-Aldridge's team and of course if he wants to try and play another season that's his choice but I hate seeing these all-time great bigs (like my man Pat Ewing) drag themselves to the end of their careers. The part of his career that people won't give Duncan enough credit for his that people thought he was done in 2011. There were threads about him then. I'm pretty sure even I said he'd be out of the league in 3 years. The fact that he tacked on another championship and bumped back up his per game stats over the last 5 years is a testament to his greatness. I have him in my all-time top 5 and think he is an absolute legend and role model.

it was just last playoffs against the clips he averaged 18/11 and put up 27/11 in the final game 7. And the beginning of the year last year, his scoring #'s were down of course due to LMA, but he was still grabbing nearly 10 boards a game and defending the rim well.

The problem was in around January (when everyone assumed Pop was resting Duncan against the first GS matchup just for "mind games", and it was really his knee) he really had knee problems and went for several MRI's and was out "indefinitely" at the time.

It was always about his knee injury. If he could get that back to where it needed to be, he could've continued to be productive. What we saw the 2nd half of the year was an injured legend trying to play through pain. The last 5-6 years he's been playing on 1 leg anyway, and still handling his business against these athletic bigs, but this really made it hard on him. The way he went out in Game 6 in OKC was just heart and determination

IBleedPurple
07-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Durant.

mngopher35
07-04-2016, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Durant.

lol if his main reason to come back was a shot at the title this makes it even less likely...

kdspurman
07-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks, Durant.

Sigh... lol. See my post a few spots up on why that decision had nothing to do with his possibility of retiring

Aust
07-04-2016, 02:57 PM
would you like to use that pitch? 1000 RP

What does RP mean?

LA_Raiders
07-04-2016, 04:33 PM
It's about time, he was pretty bad on the Poffs.

DboneG
07-04-2016, 04:46 PM
I thought he retired two years ago. Limping on one leg ...

SportsFanatic10
07-04-2016, 06:34 PM
I'd like to see him give it 1 more year now that they added Gasol, but I can also see that he might think it's time as well.

Jarvo
07-04-2016, 10:16 PM
One more year Timmy.

NYKNYGNYY
07-04-2016, 10:43 PM
This is what makes him the ultimate team player and one of the greatest players/characters all of sports has ever seen... For someone who has been so good for so long the ego isn't there... Wears cheap clothes and all that... Didn't do a whole fair well tour that he deserved he just wanted to focus on winning... If he does retire he will go down as a top 15-20 player ever

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 11:29 PM
This is what makes him the ultimate team player and one of the greatest players/characters all of sports has ever seen... For someone who has been so good for so long the ego isn't there... Wears cheap clothes and all that... Didn't do a whole fair well tour that he deserved he just wanted to focus on winning... If he does retire he will go down as a top 15-20 player ever

What?

Raps08-09 Champ
07-04-2016, 11:31 PM
I hope not. Sign for 1 more season and beat the GSW.

Avenged
07-04-2016, 11:36 PM

Lol. :confused:

minato_17
07-04-2016, 11:44 PM
Duncan is easily in the top 10 greats and the best Power Forward of all time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

hidalgo
07-05-2016, 01:14 AM
i hope he comes back, but looks like he's gone. sucks because KB got a fairwell tour all year and Duncan got nothing, and Duncan is the better player. 1 more year timmy

kdspurman
07-07-2016, 03:02 PM
From the rumors I've read about Manu getting a bump in his salary, it means TD is indeed retiring.... Sigh... :(

FlashBolt
07-07-2016, 03:04 PM
From the rumors I've read about Manu getting a bump in his salary, it means TD is indeed retiring.... Sigh... :(

He deserves it. I would like to see him get some sort of position in the team. As sad as it is, he was starting to become a liability at times against the younger big dudes like in the playoffs against OKC proved. As for Manu, man.. he should retire too lol.

kdspurman
07-07-2016, 03:11 PM
He deserves it. I would like to see him get some sort of position in the team. As sad as it is, he was starting to become a liability at times against the younger big dudes like in the playoffs against OKC proved. As for Manu, man.. he should retire too lol.

The knee injury just really affected him. Last playoffs against the Clips he was a different player. He played through the pain , and has been for a while. This year though it just got worse.

Manu is still a nice to have on the bench. Still provides some magic moments out there. He'll be limited again and stayed fairly healthy all year aside from the nasty injury he got from a knee..

I just wasn't ready to accept TD hanging them up. That last game though may have been an indication

Chronz
07-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Yup, it was a huge factor in why San Antonio wasn't the same caliber of team that they displayed all year. A sad but true consequence of relying on aging stars. Dude put up the best fight against father time I've seen in awhile tho Pop gave him alot of help for that fight.

kdspurman
07-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Some stuff I picked up from a respected/trusted poster on another site:

From the latest I heard, the plan is for Tim Duncan to retire today. If today is indeed the end, there's only one thing I can say: Thanks. It was a damn fun ride.

-From what I was told, about three weeks ago Duncan started working out on his own to see how his body reacted. Unfortunately, the knee that used to be his good knee didn't improve at all despite the rest. He has played a long time on one leg but losing his good knee has simply made it impossible for Duncan to keep going.

-The Spurs have been telling Duncan to take his time in making his decision in hopes that he changes his mind. The front office didn't expect to lose both Boris Diaw and David West this offseason and they had previously projected that they'd be able to keep Boban. After losing all three, the Spurs prefer for Duncan to return but they obviously will let him make the final call.

-If nothing is announced today, I would take it as good news in the Duncan-returning front. But from everything I've heard, it's the end. And knowing Duncan, he'd like nothing more than to be able to covertly disappear rather than ever even announcing anything.

Not ready to accept it, but it is what it is lol

Hawkeye15
07-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Everyone who doesn't play for Golden State should retire lol

I heard Towns is contemplating retirement

Hawkeye15
07-08-2016, 09:55 AM
after watching Duncan just look like a 70 year old man against Kanter/Adams, I think it's time for him to hang it up.

kdspurman
07-08-2016, 10:00 AM
after watching Duncan just look like a 70 year old man against Kanter/Adams, I think it's time for him to hang it up.

The 1 good knee he had got injured. Had it not, he would've been much more effective and probably played another year or 2.

The fact that he went out the way he did against OKC with 19 points showed the kind of fighter he is

theafrosamurai
07-08-2016, 10:04 AM
If he's at peace with the choice, just shut it down Timmy. You've had a HOF career and you have nothing to prove. Father time is still undefeated.

tredigs
07-08-2016, 10:34 AM
If he's at peace with the choice, just shut it down Timmy. You've had a HOF career and you have nothing to prove. Father time is still undefeated.

"HOF career" doesn't even do him justice. Dude had two full 1st ballot HOF careers wrapped into one.

JAZZNC
07-08-2016, 11:49 AM
"HOF career" doesn't even do him justice. Dude had two full 1st ballot HOF careers wrapped into one.

This! Being a Wake fan I've watched him for almost my entire life. He has always been top notch on and off the court. I hate to see him go but if he decides to hang it up he's had one of the best pro careers in any sport. Thanks for all the great memories Timmy!

Hawkeye15
07-08-2016, 12:53 PM

as a Wolves fan I grew up hating the Spurs, then Duncan, for years. I think it was around 2010, that I just stopped hating him so much, and the Spurs in general. Not sure why. Probably me getting older, and the fact that Pops had become one of my favorite people in basketball.

I have watched some greats come and go. Duncan is up there with the elite of the elite. He had a stretch where he was unstoppable.

Sly Guy
07-08-2016, 07:05 PM
I'm selfish. I want him to come back for one more year to get his due as a farewell tour like kobe did (I know, totally not his style, but still).

FlashBolt
07-09-2016, 03:36 AM
Duncan doesn't have the ego to care about a farewell tour. He wouldn't know what to do. His response when asked about it being Kobe's final game vs him just shows he doesn't care about a farewell tour of any player -- including himself.

SenileStern
07-09-2016, 04:43 AM
Kobe never re-signed just to have a farewell tour, so why would Duncan? He just sucked so hard last season that he was forced to change the negative vibes around him by announcing his retirement early.

R. Johnson#3
07-09-2016, 08:43 AM
If he does retire then that's the 2 best players post Jordan era retired in the same season.

D-Leethal
07-09-2016, 09:57 AM
I wish I could go back in time and watch early Duncan some more. I love guys who get dogged for being too good and "boring". Old man hoops are the ****. Dropsteps, pump fakes and bank shots FTW.

Golden State rigged the system, don't bother Timmy, hang 'em up.