PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Johnson 4 years $50 million with Nets

Clint Olbrock
07-03-2016, 12:58 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nets-to-sign-tyler-johnson-to--50m-offer-sheet-145854260.html

"Johnson to make $5.6 million and $5.8 million in the first two years of the deal, but salaries of $18.8 million and $19.6 million in 2018-19 and 2019-20 make the offer sheet more prohibitive for the Heat to match."

TrueFan420
07-03-2016, 01:00 PM
O my that's dumb

hugepatsfan
07-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Hate this for them. I get that they have no incentive not to spend wildly because their draft picks are gone but his big money kicks in on the back half, when theoretically they should be ready to start building again. Bad move.

hugepatsfan
07-03-2016, 01:03 PM
https://twitter.com/DwyaneWade/status/749647915027722240

Any kid that wants to be an NBA player & you don't think you have a chance. Look no further then @RealTJohnson Congrts kid you earned it!

LMAO this feels so condescending to me. I know he doesn't mean it that way but it's LOL worthy.

GiantsSwaGG
07-03-2016, 01:03 PM
It's Tyler Johnson or Dwayne Wade? Wonder who the Heat choose?

FraziersKnicks
07-03-2016, 01:07 PM
:laugh2:

$50m for a guy who started 7 games in his NBA career and only played 67 games total.

He's gonna be getting paid $40m in 2018-20.

Congratulations Lakers, you no longer have the most stupid FA signing of the off season.

Vinylman
07-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Hate this for them. I get that they have no incentive not to spend wildly because their draft picks are gone but his big money kicks in on the back half, when theoretically they should be ready to start building again. Bad move.

The nets cap hit is the average of the deal 12.5 per year

The Heat are the ones who are ****ed

hugepatsfan
07-03-2016, 01:18 PM
The nets cap hit is the average of the deal 12.5 per year

The Heat are the ones who are ****ed

Yeah I just saw this. I was mistaken on the rules. My bad.

For BOS I like it better though because each of the next 2 seasons that makes his cap hit higher than his contract. Since we have their picks that can only help us as it gives them less to spend on additions.

BKLYNpigeon
07-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Not the worst signing yet.

76ers have about 54 million dollars to spend to hit the salary minimum. theres going to be some average players that are going to get a Huge payday.

Vinylman
07-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Yeah I just saw this. I was mistaken on the rules. My bad.

For BOS I like it better though because each of the next 2 seasons that makes his cap hit higher than his contract. Since we have their picks that can only help us as it gives them less to spend on additions.

it will help this year but next year they won't have much of anything under contract even with adding him and Lin... they dumped thad and DW's deal falls off the books next summer... I doubt the Nets have to worry about being capped out.

BKLYNpigeon
07-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Nets were better off giving 80 mil contract to Allen Crabb.

Vinylman
07-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Not the worst signing yet.

76ers have about 54 million dollars to spend to hit the salary minimum. theres going to be some average players that are going to get a Huge payday.

nah ... they will fill alot of that with trades this summer or at the deadline next year... the floor is pretty irrelevant because you are better off not spending it on bad long term deals when it just gets reallocated to your existing players

hugepatsfan
07-03-2016, 01:39 PM
it will help this year but next year they won't have much of anything under contract even with adding him and Lin... they dumped thad and DW's deal falls off the books next summer... I doubt the Nets have to worry about being capped out.

Definitely not. It's not a huge factor. But it's something! Them having about $7M less to spend this year and next is better than them having it... even if only 0.00001%. Not a huge factor, just saying how the contract structure of $12.5M helps us even if only the slightest of amounts.

IBleedPurple
07-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Who? Lol.

kobe4thewinbang
07-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Uh...don't the Nets have like 10 point guards already? Got Lin, got some prospects, now Johnson? Guess that means Jennings or Rondo ain't coming now, cuz that would be silly.

Heat should NOT match. They need to worry about Wade and maybe another player, doubtful Durant goes there.

maddBat
07-03-2016, 01:47 PM
weird under the radar signing. dont know much about him other than hes a combo guard. wonder whats going to happen since we drafted 2 combo guards as well
"sources say" he turned down another offer with more $

FraziersKnicks
07-03-2016, 01:56 PM
I do like the Trevor Booker signing for them... They got him on a great value contract.

I suppose both Lin and Johnson can take it in turns to play the 2 guard.

Kush McDaniels
07-03-2016, 02:05 PM
From watching the Heat/Raptors series this year, I felt TJ didn't seem to belong on the court. He was too small and didn't contribute much outside of a few wide open threes. $50 mil is way too much for this kid.

DboneG
07-03-2016, 02:14 PM
He must have been hitting 3's like Curry during his workout, 720 degree dunking, and touching the square on the backboard or something. Crazy.

Dade County
07-03-2016, 02:20 PM
I like him as a player for Miami. Maybe Miami could match & trade him at the beginning on the 2yr of that contract lol

HEAT have few draft picks if any lol His one of are guards of the future. Oh boy

AllBall
07-03-2016, 04:00 PM
It's Tyler Johnson or Dwayne Wade? Wonder who the Heat choose?

They don't have to choose between the two. Durant makes decision within 24 hours. They decide on Wade and if Wade walks they can match TJ. They can also match TJ and sign Wade. Or Sign Durant and Wade and move Dragic and/or McRoberts.

bleedprple&gold
07-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Big time overpay. Nets will be terrible with or without TJ so why bother?

TheMightyHumph
07-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Big time overpay. Nets will be terrible with or without TJ so why bother?

Don't know why Nets even show up for games.

Jets012
07-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Shockingly okay with this.

Johnson is the type of guys the Nets should be going after. Talented young players that could potentially breakout in the right scheme. Atkinson has a very good reputation with guards, so it makes sense to give it a go.

Johnson's put up impressive stats when healthy the last two years. Maybe if you give him a chance to start and handle the ball a lot, he excels. He's the type of guy that on a bad team like Brooklyn, could really be an exciting piece.

Now obviously, this deal has huge potential to backfire. Won't even lie about that because there's no guarantee with more play time Johnson reaches his raw potential. But you got to do something if you're Brooklyn. You just can't sit back and watch other teams pick in the top 3-5 with your picks year after year.

Cracka2HI!
07-03-2016, 05:36 PM
WOW! Didn't even know how this guy was. I see a lockout looming.

archdevil84
07-03-2016, 05:53 PM
yall are severly underestimating Tyler johnson. After seeing all those ridiculous contracts the last few days im suprised he actually got a stil overpaid, but not ridiculous contract. Young player with promising future imo

imagesrdecievin
07-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Everyone saying this is a massive overpay haven't adjusted to the new numbers of this cap. 12.5 million dollar cap hit. That's what average role players will be earning under the coming cap(it's going up more!) . I mean jeez - just look at some of the money that's been thrown at guys like mozgov.

TheMightyHumph
07-07-2016, 04:47 PM
for 4 years, $52 mil.

FlashBolt
07-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Haven't Heat fans suffered enough? They are having the worst summer thus far.. just like us but damn... at least we have Westbrook?

kobe4thewinbang
07-07-2016, 05:17 PM
There is a "poison pill" clause in the contract, i.e. Johnson's first two years will be within 5-6 million per season, then a whopping 18-19 million in the final two years per season. So, I think the Heat should let him go. They still have Dragic and could easily find a backup PG on the market somewhere. Lots floating around still. Doubt they wanna pay Tyler unremarkable Johnson almost what Wade wanted two seasons from now, if he even amounts to anything more a quality backup PG. Even Heat people are saying "he's not great" at anything.

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2016, 05:20 PM
This is last weeks news.

mia1619
07-07-2016, 05:20 PM
There is a "poison pill" clause in the contract, i.e. Johnson's first two years will be within 5-6 million per season, then a whopping 18-19 million in the final two years per season. So, I think the Heat should let him go. They still have Dragic and could easily find a backup PG on the market somewhere. Lots floating around still. Doubt they wanna pay Tyler unremarkable Johnson almost what Wade wanted two seasons from now, if he even amounts to anything more a quality backup PG. Even Heat people are saying "he's not great" at anything.

Im torn on whether they sign him. He is a great perimeter defender, ridiculously athletic, and a solid shooter but he also hasn't played more than a seasons worth of games. He is more of a SG than PG btw. His cap hits would be 1 million, 6 million, then like 18-19 million for the last 2 years so IDK if its worth it.

You are wrong though, there is like nothing left in free agency. If i'm the Heat Idk about this contract but I'm just signing veterans to 1 year deals to fill out the roster. They better not give any of this crap in free agency lots of money over more than 1 year.

FlashBolt
07-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Im torn on whether they sign him. He is a great perimeter defender, ridiculously athletic, and a solid shooter but he also hasn't played more than a seasons worth of games. He is more of a SG than PG btw. His cap hits would be 1 million, 6 million, then like 18-19 million for the last 2 years so IDK if its worth it.

You are wrong though, there is like nothing left in free agency. If i'm the Heat Idk about this contract but I'm just signing veterans to 1 year deals to fill out the roster. They better not give any of this crap in free agency lots of money over more than 1 year.

And they lost Wade for this and another bum that will take up the remaining salary... See what I mean? Miami should have just paid Wade and moved on. And you need to stop using the five years as an excuse.. Wade signed for TWO years with the Bulls. He just wanted his money now and probably wouldn't mind taking less if he sees improvement with the team. Again, you LOST Wade for Tyler Johnson and another individual that will most likely be a bum that will fill up the salary

Aust
07-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Hopefully he breaks out and helps them win more games. Can't be giving Boston too high of a pick.

TheMightyHumph
07-07-2016, 05:53 PM
This is last weeks news.

Really? Tyler Johnson signed the offer sheet prior to today?

Scoots
07-07-2016, 08:39 PM
He could be good ... but $52M good? That's a rough bet. Miami takes a pass is my guess.

ohreally
07-07-2016, 10:05 PM
The only way I could see the heat matching is if they're just pissed at the position they've been put in. But really, Johnson was asked to sign a deal that was structured more to the heat's liking, and he still signed the Nets' offer.
That essentially means he would rather play for the Nets. So matching wouldn't just cut into what they could offer FAs going forward, but it would be doing it for a player who would rather be elsewhere.

It makes no sense whatsoever for them to match. The entire Wade thing really doesn't put the heat in a good light, and doing something not in their long-term interests in order to make a statement really wouldn't help at all.

Dade County
07-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Haven't Heat fans suffered enough? They are having the worst summer thus far.. just like us but damn... at least we have Westbrook?

Not for too long :)

I hope Pat doesn't let Tj just walk, I like him and I would like to see him develop more in a HEAT jersey.

beasted86
07-07-2016, 10:43 PM

Cap hit for first year is actually equal to the MLE, not 1 mil.

If they do match it has to be with the intention of trading him before the back loaded years.

Clint Olbrock
07-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Thought his cap hit was the average salary of the deal since it is a poison pill contract?

TheMightyHumph
07-07-2016, 11:36 PM
Thought his cap hit was the average salary of the deal since it is a poison pill contract?

That's what the cap hit would be for the Nets.

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Really? Tyler Johnson signed the offer sheet prior to today?

Obviously not. But we have a whole thread about the Nets offering him a contract so why make a new thread saying he signed the contract? Obviously he was going to sign it.

TheMightyHumph
07-07-2016, 11:44 PM
Obviously not. But we have a whole thread about the Nets offering him a contract so why make a new thread saying he signed the contract? Obviously he was going to sign it.

Obviously? After the Heat lost Wade, you didn't think Heat might try to sign TJ?

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2016, 11:51 PM
Obviously? After the Heat lost Wade, you didn't think Heat might try to sign TJ?

And they still can if they want too...

TheMightyHumph
07-08-2016, 01:21 AM
And they still can if they want too...

They can match the offer sheet, which is quite different from signing him to a new contract.

Clint Olbrock
07-08-2016, 06:00 AM
That's what the cap hit would be for the Nets.

But the cap hit would be different for the Heat if they matched or the same? Because posters above me are saying $1 million cap hit or MLE cap hit.

beasted86
07-08-2016, 06:09 AM
But the cap hit would be different for the Heat if they matched or the same? Because posters above me are saying $1 million cap hit or MLE cap hit.

And in the other thread you claimed to be some salary cap expert, LOL. Wow.

Johnson has a $1.2M cap hold for his qualifying offer, that's it. His "Gilbert Arenas provision" contract starts at the MLE for the HEAT, other teams $12.5M.

ewing
07-08-2016, 06:34 AM
I like Johnson a lot. I was expecting to get more along the line of 4 year 40 mil but :shrug: He reminds me of a more athletic Delonte West when West first came in the league.

Clint Olbrock
07-08-2016, 11:50 AM
And in the other thread you claimed to be some salary cap expert, LOL. Wow.

Johnson has a $1.2M cap hold for his qualifying offer, that's it. His "Gilbert Arenas provision" contract starts at the MLE for the HEAT, other teams $12.5M.

I broke down the whole thing, you did not comment on it or add one thing to it. Just sent a link to the widely popular CBAFAQ. Again you arent showing anything just saying his cap hit for the Heat is less than for the Nets, why is that? Or do you not know?

Sorry the poison pill contracts are few and far between. Lin and Asik come to mind, not much else recently.

Gibby23
07-08-2016, 11:57 AM
I broke down the whole thing, you did not comment on it or add one thing to it. Just sent a link to the widely popular CBAFAQ. Again you arent showing anything just saying his cap hit for the Heat is less than for the Nets, why is that? Or do you not know?

Sorry the poison pill contracts are few and far between. Lin and Asik come to mind, not much else recently.

His cap hit for the Heat is lower for the 1st 2 years because they have his rights by extending him the QO. The Nets would take the total average salary and spread it over 4 years. But if the heat match, it would hurt them in year 3 and 4 because they would have to pay close to 20 million each of those years, that is the poison pill part.

Clint Olbrock
07-08-2016, 08:21 PM
His cap hit for the Heat is lower for the 1st 2 years because they have his rights by extending him the QO. The Nets would take the total average salary and spread it over 4 years. But if the heat match, it would hurt them in year 3 and 4 because they would have to pay close to 20 million each of those years, that is the poison pill part.

I read into it on my lunch break and get it now, thank you though.

beasted86
07-09-2016, 07:47 AM

You mean the thread where you kept claiming Wade could be given the max by Miami if they wanted to give it to him, then after I supposedly give you those useful links you randomly came to later understand that they could not? Yeah, okay I remember that thread.

Anyway, back on topic. Now that I'm able to decompress, I fully understand Riley's strategy in not handcuffing the teams future to Wade and purposely low-balling Wade to 'let him leave'. And rethinking this Johnson situation, they might not be able to trade him later on down the line if they match him now and he gets injured again.

So with that in mind, I say let him walk. Miami cannot match this overpriced contract based on lowered salary cap expectations for next season, and preliminary talks that it might be going down again in 2 years. This contract may eventually be like buying a house during the 2008 mega inflation days. Sure it might look like the going rate for a mediocre player nowadays is $18M, but that could change quickly after a CBA negotiation. And a year from now a player of this caliber may become untradeable, just like those houses became unsellable.

Clint Olbrock
07-09-2016, 09:45 AM
You mean the thread where you kept claiming Wade could be given the max by Miami if they wanted to give it to him, then after I supposedly give you those useful links you randomly came to later understand that they could not? Yeah, okay I remember that thread.

Anyway, back on topic. Now that I'm able to decompress, I fully understand Riley's strategy in not handcuffing the teams future to Wade and purposely low-balling Wade to 'let him leave'. And rethinking this Johnson situation, they might not be able to trade him later on down the line if they match him now and he gets injured again.

So with that in mind, I say let him walk. Miami cannot match this overpriced contract based on lowered salary cap expectations for next season, and preliminary talks that it might be going down again in 2 years. This contract may eventually be like buying a house during the 2008 mega inflation days. Sure it might look like the going rate for a mediocre player nowadays is $18M, but that could change quickly after a CBA negotiation. And a year from now a player of this caliber may become untradeable, just like those houses became unsellable.

It was all based upon my thought Whiteside had full bird rights, not just early bird. If that were the case everything I said would've been accurate.

You knew 2 things VERY team specific to the Heat, this second one you couldn't even explain(not that you explained the first one either because you were acting like I didn't know what cap holds were when I clearly had already mentioned them).

I fully believe you knew that TJ had a different cap hold for Miami vs the Nets but I also believe you had no clue as to why. You're like a parrot or a little kid, you read it somewhere then just repeated it but had no clue as to why that is the way it was.

Anything else you are saying about matching and house market bologna, I don't care lol it's irrelevant.

You act like I don't know about TPE's or DPE's or how they work. Or what a max is for different players based on years in the league, or cap holds or 1st round picks cap holds or empty roster spot cap holds. Or how much you can take back in a trade or time frame on when players can and can't be trade. Or guarantee dates or player playoff eligibility rules.

Come to some Cavs forums bud(you should anyway because the Heat aren't going to be worth watching this season anyway) people literally ask for me by name to break down the CBA for them.

Sorry I mixed up Whiteside's bird rights status and simply asked about the rarely used poison pill contract, lol you are the expert bud.

J_M_B
07-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Man I really like Tyler .. this is tough because I think he's just starting to scratch the surface, such a versatile guard. He's quick enough to guard the small shifty point guards that overrun this league, but also big enough to match up against most 2s. His athleticism still shocks me and I'm sure most other teams, this kid can get up! Miami also desperately needs outside shooting and you could argue that Tyler was Miami's best when healthy. He shot over 50% in catch & shoot situations.

All that said, those last two years of this deal are UGLY. I can see the argument to match and worry about moving his contract later since the Heat should really try and keep this young core together ... yet you are just as likely to get stuck with this contract, which would really hinder Riley's flexibility going forward.

Clint Olbrock
07-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Man I really like Tyler .. this is tough because I think he's just starting to scratch the surface, such a versatile guard. He's quick enough to guard the small shifty point guards that overrun this league, but also big enough to match up against most 2s. His athleticism still shocks me and I'm sure most other teams, this kid can get up! Miami also desperately needs outside shooting and you could argue that Tyler was Miami's best when healthy. He shot over 50% in catch & shoot situations.

All that said, those last two years of this deal are UGLY. I can see the argument to match and worry about moving his contract later since the Heat should really try and keep this young core together ... yet you are just as likely to get stuck with this contract, which would really hinder Riley's flexibility going forward.

Depending on when exactly the Heat got the e-mail about the offer sheet(it was announced at 3AM on the 7th), they only have about 16 hours to decide if they are going to match or not.

beasted86
07-09-2016, 11:25 AM

He would need to break out to make this contract worth it. Break out only means like 12+ per game, but I also am more worried about his health.

He's been constantly injured and this could just become another McRoberts deal. A productive when healthy, somewhat reasonable contract, but still extremely difficult to trade player.

AllBall
07-10-2016, 03:45 PM
You're right. I wish I lived in Ohio. You guys are so lucky! Lets trade!

Fam, just click here (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=259430) and thank me later.

FlashBolt
07-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Clint, just ignore them. You're arguing with a guy who wants ISIS to cut off the heads of people who disagree with him on PSD. That dude is beyond worth arguing with.

Rush
07-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Get back on topic, guys. If you want discuss that further then pm each other, but please keep it out of this thread.

_Supreme_
07-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Lmao, how did this escalate so quickly :smoking:

Now on-topic, it is probably a safe assumption that atrocious Nets contract will not be matched, right?

AllBall
07-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Lmao, how did this escalate so quickly :smoking:

Now on-topic, it is probably a safe assumption that atrocious Nets contract will not be matched, right?

You'll know by midnight.

_Supreme_
07-10-2016, 04:19 PM
I mean, I like the player, but nobody will want to trade for that contract once those two awful years kick in except for when it becomes an expiring contract, and those usually get traded during the season, effectively meaning being potentially (somewhat) handicapped during TWO offseasons.

TheMightyHumph
07-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Heat match Nets offer sheet

nycericanguy
07-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Surprised MIA matched, that's a HUGE investment starting in 2018 for an unproven player. The cap isn't going to go up forever, they could be looking at 20% of the cap for Tyler Johnson in 2018 & 19.

beasted86
07-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Surprised MIA matched, that's a HUGE investment starting in 2018 for an unproven player. The cap isn't going to go up forever, they could be looking at 20% of the cap for Tyler Johnson in 2018 & 19.

I'm hoping they match and trade him this season. Do everything humanly possible to inflate his stats and value before he gets injured again.

hotdalton18
07-10-2016, 07:24 PM

I'm hoping they match and trade him this season. Do everything humanly possible to inflate his stats and value before he gets injured again.

Not gonna happen

He's gonna be a good player

nycericanguy
07-10-2016, 07:26 PM

with his contract now structured as 5/5/20/20 he's going to be virtually untradeable.

Dade County
07-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Heat match Nets offer sheet

:clap:

I was worried for a moment. He's a good player and will show the league this season.

Dade County
07-10-2016, 07:37 PM
with his contract now structured as 5/5/20/20 he's going to be virtually untradeable.

No contract is untraceable... But I don't think Miami will trade him, because if it comes to the point that Miami feel like they can trade him, that means he is surpassing his contract.

But Pat can trade him if he needs too, you shouldn't waste your time worrying about that though.

nycericanguy
07-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Almost gotta feel for the Nets tho, they knew they couldn't sign anyone and had no picks, so they decided to throw insane contracts at Crabbe & TJ, which in their situation wasn't such a bad idea since they can't sign anyone any other way... and then MIA & POR match!...lol

HouRealCoach
07-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Yeah man the Nets are in a TERRIBLE position right now

TylerSL
07-10-2016, 09:07 PM
so basically the team is...

Dragic/Richardson/Weber
TJ/Ellington/McGruder
Winslow/Babbitt/James Johnson
Bosh/Williams/McRoberts/Haslem
Whiteside/Willie Reed

Not very good, but not absolutely terrible. We'll be a fast team like Spo and Dragic want. The lingering question is if Bosh will be back. Bosh comes back, and everyone else stays healthy, this team could win 43-46 games. Without Bosh, this team is about a 35-40 win team at most.

With Bosh, I say we could go 44-38, and without him 37-45..... Again..... (that was our record in year after Lebron).

Hopefully we'll get lucky and either the kids on the roster show real development and we max out/overachieve to potentially lure a superstar next summer or Bosh doesn't come back giving us $60+ million in cap next summer and we get a top 10 pick in this amazing draft class. Either of the extremes would give us a platform to succeed in the future, which is all I want right now.

LivinLakers
07-10-2016, 09:15 PM
7th or 8th seed and stuck in no mans land. Not bad enough to be in the Lottery. Not good enough to get out of the first round. Not a good place to be.

Dade County
07-10-2016, 09:23 PM
7th or 8th seed and stuck in no mans land. Not bad enough to be in the Lottery. Not good enough to get out of the first round. Not a good place to be.

I don't understand why people can't be forward thinkers.

Miami has a good young core, if they can play hard and reach the playoffs, thats all Pat & Spo would need to prove to all star talent players to give Miami a shot. Miami will have the cap space to maybe sign 2 max players depending on what they do with Bosh (or trade Dragic to free up space).

The stuck in the middle on works if a team doesn't have felix ability or if that team is old. Miami is good on both of those fronts.

BKLYNpigeon
07-10-2016, 09:53 PM

Yea, I'm sure a lot of teams want to trade for Tyler Johnson. The way his contract is structure, Years 3 and 4 he's making 18 & 19 million. Theres also a trade kicker. hahah

BKLYNpigeon
07-10-2016, 09:56 PM
I guess I won't be watching many Miami Heat games this year. They will probably have Zero nationally televised games with this roster.

tp13baby
07-10-2016, 09:57 PM
so basically the team is...

Dragic/Richardson/Weber
TJ/Ellington/McGruder
Winslow/Babbitt/James Johnson
Bosh/Williams/McRoberts/Haslem
Whiteside/Willie Reed

Not very good, but not absolutely terrible. We'll be a fast team like Spo and Dragic want. The lingering question is if Bosh will be back. Bosh comes back, and everyone else stays healthy, this team could win 43-46 games. Without Bosh, this team is about a 35-40 win team at most.

With Bosh, I say we could go 44-38, and without him 37-45..... Again..... (that was our record in year after Lebron).

Hopefully we'll get lucky and either the kids on the roster show real development and we max out/overachieve to potentially lure a superstar next summer or Bosh doesn't come back giving us $60+ million in cap next summer and we get a top 10 pick in this amazing draft class. Either of the extremes would give us a platform to succeed in the future, which is all I want right now.

Without Bosh, Winslow TJ and Rich have to take huge steps otherwise I see a top 5 pick. Which isn't bad at all. I see a 31 win team without Bosh, a 45 win team if he plays all year.

TylerSL
07-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Without Bosh, Winslow TJ and Rich have to take huge steps otherwise I see a top 5 pick. Which isn't bad at all. I see a 31 win team without Bosh, a 45 win team if he plays all year.

That's good with me too actually. I expect we'll be better than that though cuz I believe Whiteside will have a monster year now that he will be the #1 or #2 guy. Last season he was our #5 option, taking less shots than Bosh, Wade, Dragic, Joe, and Deng. So he was 6th on the team in FGA/game last year but Joe and Bosh never played together, hence 5th option. We'll see though, top 5 pick and $60+ million in cap next summer if Bosh retires. I love Bosh but you wouldn't see me complaining.

Dade County
07-10-2016, 10:41 PM

I would love if Miami could get a top 3 pick lol

If not, they need to play hard and be a top 5 seed in the East (however that happens). Because thats what free some all star caliber free agents will be looking at, besides the money.

europagnpilgrim
07-11-2016, 12:07 AM

If Morey can trade Lin/Asik out of poison pill type contracts then I am sure Riley can do so especially on an expiring year or possibly year before if he performs decent to real good(then Riley may want to keep him), he most likely will have to wait 3 yrs but with the cap rise it should not be too hard

I think Lin/Asik were making around 15mill on the back end years, 20mill is about the same based on the old cap

Scoots
07-11-2016, 12:15 AM
With Bosh, play hard to win. Without Bosh go heavy with the youth movement and maximize the losses.

Vinylman
07-11-2016, 07:18 AM
If Morey can trade Lin/Asik out of poison pill type contracts then I am sure Riley can do so especially on an expiring year or possibly year before if he performs decent to real good(then Riley may want to keep him), he most likely will have to wait 3 yrs but with the cap rise it should not be too hard

I think Lin/Asik were making around 15mill on the back end years, 20mill is about the same based on the old cap

depends how he is playing... but there is supposedly a large trade kicker in his deal (nets thought this would kill the match).

As for Asik and Lin

Asik traded to NO... Houston got a #1 pick
Lin traded to Lakers... Houston had to give a #1 pick

Vinylman
07-11-2016, 07:21 AM
The Portland match and this match is great news for the Celtics...

nycericanguy
07-11-2016, 09:32 AM

their cap hit was only 8m though because the other teams didn't match the PP, but since MIA matched its $20m cap hit for them and for any other team if they trade him.

mightybosstone
07-11-2016, 09:45 AM
I thought this was a bit of an overpay, but I still like this move by Miami. With Wade gone, Miami needs to focus on its young talent. By keeping Whiteside and Johnson, this young group can grow with Winslow. I wouldn't be shocked to see Bosh retire and Dragic get dealt before the trade deadline either. This current roster is probably a 5-7 seed at best, so it makes more sense for them to go the rebuilding route at this point.

naps
07-11-2016, 05:32 PM
If Bosh comes off the books and Heat sucks bad enough to get a top 5 pick while developing these kids, it will be a quick rebuild.

TheMightyHumph
07-11-2016, 05:34 PM

You are forgetting that Lin/Asik's offer sheets weren't matched. There cap hits when they were traded were under
$9 mil, the average of the 3 year contracts.

If TJ gets traded, the cap hit in the 3rd and 4th season (Lin/Asik signed 3 year deals) will be in the $20 mil area each year.

If you don't believe, ask Larry Coon.

Vee-Rex
07-11-2016, 05:35 PM
I could see the Heat doing okay in the regular season but getting decimated in the playoffs when opponents game-plan for them.

If Bosh returns and all goes well then they should be fighting for a late seed at best, IMO.

If I was Riley I'd hope Bosh returns and does extremely well and then trade his *** at the trade deadline.