PDA

View Full Version : Dallas signs Barnes to 4 year max offer sheet *Update: Agree on 4 year/94 Million*

HandsOnTheWheel
07-02-2016, 09:06 PM
per ESPN. GS has 3 days to match.

jerellh528
07-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Finally someone put pressure on those mofos. I hope KD takes his time deciding lol

HandsOnTheWheel
07-02-2016, 09:08 PM
4 years/95 million. The offer sheet won't take effect until July 7th.

Bostonjorge
07-02-2016, 09:10 PM
4 years/95 million. The offer sheet won't take effect until July 7th.

So 3 days after July 7th to match?

HandsOnTheWheel
07-02-2016, 09:13 PM
So 3 days after July 7th to match?

Right.

ewing
07-02-2016, 09:16 PM
is the NBA going to go bankrupt?

Scoots
07-02-2016, 09:23 PM
The thing about that is not that the Mavs offered it but that Barnes signed it. Him signing it means he's willing to put pressure on the team. My guess is he ends up a Mav now.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Bullet ****ing dodged yo... **** YEA MAVS MY 2ND FAVORITE TEAM NOW.... 42 had me on the edge of a building ready to jump off... NOW JUST STAY AWAY FROM WAITERS AND THIS WILL BE A GREAT OFF SEASON FOR THE SIXERS IF THIS HAPPENS AND CRAWFORD SIGNS.

kdspurman
07-02-2016, 09:47 PM
I guess this is Dallas's big off-season addition... Poor Dirk lol

believeinNYK
07-02-2016, 09:50 PM
When I think of Barnes I think of 'average at everything' nba player

IndyRealist
07-02-2016, 09:50 PM

No matter what individual players get paid, they still only get 50% of BRI collectively.

MagicBucsSox
07-02-2016, 09:54 PM

So the opposite my friend. So the opposite

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2016, 09:55 PM
When I think of Barnes I think of 'average at everything' nba player

He's a good defender and excellent rebounder. Before Barnes Tore his hamstring his true shooting percentage was 70%. He was never really the same after. Barnes had a bad showing in the finals, but its not indicative of who he is as a player.

He's young and only going to get better being on Team USA.

If you think about it Harrison Barnes is only 1 year older then Buddy Heild.

GiantsSwaGG
07-02-2016, 09:56 PM
I wonder what kind of deal would Reggie Evans get if he were a FA?

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Mars are just putting out there that they will offer Barnes a Max contract. Harrison has not signed anything yet and can't until June 7th. Warriors would have 3 days to match.

would be funny if warriors match and the Mavs failed at signing everyone, and dirk leaves. lol

DboneG
07-02-2016, 10:05 PM

Just the opposite. The owners are going to make money hand over fist with all the new revenue. Now we see why Steve Ballmer paid 2 billion for the Clippers. I think there will be a lockout of the players...these guys better save.

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Seriously time for Dirk to leave the Mavs.

He's been taking a pay cut ever since they won that championship so Mavs can rebuild a Contending team.

Mavs failed to sign:

Deandre
Whiteside
Conley
Batum
Parsons
Maybe Barnes?

Scoots
07-02-2016, 10:27 PM
No matter what individual players get paid, they still only get 50% of BRI collectively.

That's not quite true. If revenue plummets the players still get paid on their contracts. Not that that is likely to happen though :)

Scoots
07-02-2016, 10:30 PM

He's been taking a pay cut ever since they won that championship so Mavs can rebuild a Contending team.

Mavs failed to sign:

Deandre
Whiteside
Conley
Batum
Parsons
Maybe Barnes?

Did they really want Parsons back though? And Batum wasn't going anywhere so I don't know that they really tried.

I wonder if the Mavs will make a run at Ezeli?

Vee-Rex
07-02-2016, 11:23 PM
I would laugh so hard (@ GS) if the Warriors matched this offer.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-02-2016, 11:35 PM
Festus Ezeli gonna get the max from the Mavs too probably lol.

jphysics
07-03-2016, 12:04 AM

No. Their money comes from TV. TV has to go bankrupt first. Even then, the NBA's money would come from the streaming services that overtake TV. Live sports are one of the only bastions of supremacy that TV networks hold over existing streaming services.

Beyond that, the NBA is thriving as an international sport.

Will be interesting to see how that plays out. There is no reason that online streaming sources can't stream live sports, but with the mind shattering amounts of money TV has paid to keep their live sports, it seems unlikely that streaming companies will compete in the near future. Either way, the NBA wins.

The league is super healthy. One of the healthiest parts of the American economy. It's a great area to invest in, if you can.

I am trying to teach my daughters to become 7 feet tall, but it's not working out so far.

Dunk girl! Dunk!

Eagles4Lyfe
07-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Let him go, Warriors don't need that waste of money.
Spend it wisely on people that'll help.

Speaking of which why have the Warriors been so quiet, what are they doing??

Scoots
07-03-2016, 12:47 AM
I would laugh so hard (@ GS) if the Warriors matched this offer.

If KD says no they may just match. Ugh.

goingfor28
07-03-2016, 12:47 AM
GS would be morons if they match that. $24M a year for Harrison Barnes? :laugh:

Scoots
07-03-2016, 12:53 AM
GS would be morons if they match that. $24M a year for Harrison Barnes? :laugh:

The issue is that if they are above the cap they can only use a exception to sign a replacement and the best left on the market is probably Mo Harkless and they wouldn't be able to afford him.

tredigs
07-03-2016, 01:27 AM
If KD says no they may just match. Ugh.

May? They will, obviously.

But **** Harrison Barnes.

More-Than-Most
07-03-2016, 01:28 AM
Let him go, Warriors don't need that waste of money.
Spend it wisely on people that'll help.

Speaking of which why have the Warriors been so quiet, what are they doing??

Warriors/cavs and spurs.... most are all tied up with current contracts and the warriors are waiting on durant.

ewing
07-03-2016, 01:52 AM
No. Their money comes from TV. TV has to go bankrupt first. Even then, the NBA's money would come from the streaming services that overtake TV. Live sports are one of the only bastions of supremacy that TV networks hold over existing streaming services.

Beyond that, the NBA is thriving as an international sport.

Will be interesting to see how that plays out. There is no reason that online streaming sources can't stream live sports, but with the mind shattering amounts of money TV has paid to keep their live sports, it seems unlikely that streaming companies will compete in the near future. Either way, the NBA wins.

The league is super healthy. One of the healthiest parts of the American economy. It's a great area to invest in, if you can.

I am trying to teach my daughters to become 7 feet tall, but it's not working out so far.

Dunk girl! Dunk!

thanks. my post a joke but you are right, the market is interesting. We should have a thread about it

naps
07-03-2016, 04:01 AM
Poor Mark Cuban. Has been going after everyone for years just to come out empty handed in the end every single time.

KingJudah
07-03-2016, 04:31 AM
Wow im so glad my 76ers didn't give this guy a max, thank you mavs for easing my mind. I like barnes as a 4th option type of role player, his finals appearance was just so bad it turned me off greatly. I hope he can turn it around though for dirks sake because the mavs have done nothing to assure dirk a chance to compete for his last couple years he has left.

zookman65
07-03-2016, 05:19 AM

No - this is one of those facepalm issues that most don't seem to understand cause and effect. Salaries are increasing because revenues and team profits are exploding and projected to continue to explode over next several years. By definition in the CBA the players get a fixed share of revenue so as revenues increase so does the size of the salary pie.

Remember owners charge for tickets what the market will bear as do media outlets charge for ad time based on market conditions. Again from a causation perspective these costs lag demand. In other words you and I are directly responsible for the escalating salary pool of money because Joe Q public demands the entertainment value that is the NBA both in terms of highly priced ticket sales, concessions and through consuming NBA basketball through the various media outlets.

s3antana5757
07-03-2016, 06:50 AM
My question is does GS receive any compensation if they don't match. I know in the NHL a team does.

DboneG
07-03-2016, 09:56 AM

Just the opposite...they/owners got a boatload of money from different revenue streams. The owners don't like to share much...so, I'm thinking there will be a lockout.

DboneG
07-03-2016, 10:16 AM
This would be great for Barnes and Dallas! If Barnes think he's all that...he can go to Dallas and propel them, and be "The Man" when Dirk leaves, which is this coming year or next. I think Barnes is hoping GS don't match. Because, Barnes will never be the man or move up in stature at GS. There are too many stars at GS, so, he will always be a role player. Is that what he worked hard for? To be a role player?

I think they had contract discussions before, and Barnes turn the offer down.

BKLYNpigeon
07-03-2016, 10:28 AM
If the Warriors don't get KD.

Barnes contract will be matched. He will be on the team for another season and possibly tragedy the following season to make another run at KD.

22mil max is a lot of money. When the max contract next year is going to be as high as 35+ mil. That contract looks a lot better.

Mr.B
07-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Mars are just putting out there that they will offer Barnes a Max contract. Harrison has not signed anything yet and can't until June 7th. Warriors would have 3 days to match.

would be funny if warriors match and the Mavs failed at signing everyone, and dirk leaves. lol

Most of us Mavs fans are hoping this happens. Most expect GS to match the offer to Barnes. KD isn't leaving OKC. It's the best fit for him and they can pay him the most. Barnes would then be the best option left for GS and they would HAVE to match.

That would force the Mavs to finally go into rebuilding mode. They could end up with a top 5 pick in a very talented draft next year. Dirk likely will be back though. I expect Cuban to give Dirk max money in a 2 year contract (2nd year a player option).

Young2Kinsler
07-03-2016, 02:45 PM

Mavs failed to sign:

Deandre
Whiteside
Conley
Batum
Parsons
Maybe Barnes?

It's NEVER time for Dirk to leave the Mavs, clown. He is the Mavs. The fact is, free agency isn't easy. There are only a handful of guys who have ever not resigned with the current team for more money, the CBA almost forces them too.

I pray Golden State matches, Barnes is a worse Chandler Parsons, who we just let walk, because he also is not a max player.

I am pissed Cuban and Donnie have ****ed the end of Dirk's career, but they have at least tried. It's not like other teams have had a ton of success luring big fish away.

Young2Kinsler
07-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Poor Mark Cuban. Has been going after everyone for years just to come out empty handed in the end every single time.

Just like 99% of everyone else

The Mavs problem is not free agency, the Mavs problem has been their inability to draft well enough to keep decent pieces around the team for Dirk and to more so entice free agents.

Saddletramp
07-03-2016, 05:28 PM
This actually could get kind of funny. If KD signs with GS, Barnes value plummets because everyone will know GS won't match unless it's for $10 million a year or something. So the Mavs (any team for that matter) wouldn't be over bidding to keep GS honest, they'd be trying to outbid each other. Then, you'd have to look at who could sign him outright now that a lot of money has already been allocated for other free agents.

And IF KD re-signs with OKC and GS keeps Barnes at $25 million a year or whatever, and next year KD wants to go to the Warriors, they'd have to S&T for him, which would undoubtedly have to include Barnes but if OKC was smart, they'd not accept Barnes at $25M because that would be insanely stupid. So GS would have to sweeten the pot but with Iggy, Bogut and Livingston free agents and not being allowed to be S&Ted for a S&T and don't the Warriors still owe a future 1st or two to Utah? Plus, those would be basically second rounders. So would GS have to include Green or Klay? This could get real funny and bite GS in the ***. Or they might still get him and win the next 6 titles and turn off a lot of fans from the product.

*Actually, they might be able to sign KD outright before they sign Curry for the $30 million or whatever he'll get. That's how crazy this cap is getting.

LA_Raiders
07-03-2016, 09:53 PM
KD will take his spot

IndyRealist
07-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Does anyone think Harrison Barnes is a guy who can be the 1st option, or even a 1a/b like Kawhi Leonard?

COOLbeans
07-04-2016, 02:22 AM
I think he can be that. But he tends to lose focus. He believes he's the man, and he's always been the man... So just just like in college he defers when there are other good players on the court. and then he plays below his average.

If he gets that together..and becomes the number 1 guy for another team, then he has a very good chance to be great imo because he's extremely skilled, big and strong.

lamzoka
07-04-2016, 04:19 AM
That's not quite true. If revenue plummets the players still get paid on their contracts. Not that that is likely to happen though :)

This is not quite true. 10% of all players salaries are withheld and deposited into an escrow account. This is just to make sure the players are not getting pay more than 50% of BRI.

So if "revenue plummets" the players can lose up to 10% of their salaries.

zookman65
07-04-2016, 07:15 AM
Just like 99% of everyone else

The Mavs problem is not free agency, the Mavs problem has been their inability to draft well enough to keep decent pieces around the team for Dirk and to more so entice free agents.

Cuban has basically stated on local sports radio that they (front office) miscalculated on the value of cap room following the 2011 championship run and it was clear from his statements that had they to do over again they would have gone ahead and rolled out the championship team (or key elements of it) for another few years and tried to piece places and draft choices around that core similar to Spurs strategy. Spurs have obviously drafted diamonds in rough more effectively and have historically valued the draft more.

Bottom line: Cap space don't mean **** if you don't have an attractive team to showcase to tier 1 free agents

DboneG
07-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Does anyone think Harrison Barnes is a guy who can be the 1st option, or even a 1a/b like Kawhi Leonard?

Harrison Barnes do! He's been betting on himself ever since he's been in the league. I think he can be that man if given the opportunity. He'll NEVER get that opportunity at GS. Dallas would be perfect for him! I think he's hoping GS don't match. Barnes has won a ring, he now knows how to win, he's going to a very good organization, playing with a great teammate in Dirk, a chance to "Be tha man" after Dirk leaves...which is soon.

Scoots
07-04-2016, 10:04 AM
This is not quite true. 10% of all players salaries are withheld and deposited into an escrow account. This is just to make sure the players are not getting pay more than 50% of BRI.

So if "revenue plummets" the players can lose up to 10% of their salaries.
I didn't know the owners got that protection in. Interesting.

What if revenue drops more than 10%?

Vinylman
07-04-2016, 10:55 AM
I didn't know the owners got that protection in. Interesting.

What if revenue drops more than 10%?

It's really hard for that to happen because the tv money drives the revenue and they lock that in 3 years before the actual money is paid and the cap is set.

There is a lot of risk next go around that the tv money will drop because ESPN massively overpaid to keep fox sports out and fox has said they can't support the type of payments ESPN is making

IKnowHoops
07-04-2016, 11:06 AM
May? They will, obviously.

But **** Harrison Barnes.

Why?!?! He was so good for you guys during the finals :laugh:

mightybosstone
07-04-2016, 11:24 AM
No matter how this plays out, this will end up being a win-win for everyone else in the Western Conference aside from Golden State and Dallas.

If Golden State matches, then it's giving way too much money to its 4th or 5th best player (arguably 6th), which will make it a challenge for it to re-sign Curry, Thompson and (eventually) Green. The Warriors also need to make some pretty serious decisions about Ezeli (who is almost certainly gone) as well as Speights and Barbosa. Dallas also will have struck out for the zillionth time this summer and will have to settle for adding role players, essentially making the Mavs a non-factor in the conference next season. At that point, Cuban is probably better off letting Dirk sign elsewhere and tanking next season to begin the rebuilding process, which he should probably be thinking about doing anyway.

If Golden State doesn't match, then it's a worse basketball team than last season on paper, and it's going to have to fill Barnes' role with what little is left right now on the free agent market. Ezeli probably is still gone, but the Warriors will have money to keep Speights and Barbosa. For Dallas, it'll finally have inked a player of value, but at what cost? Barnes will be paid like the best player on the team, but he's almost certainly not. And when DWill and Dirk are both gone in a year or two, the Mavs will be left with an overpaid Barnes and a banged-up Wes Matthews. Eww.

Either way, it's going to be a good day for fans of opposing Western Conference teams. Happy Independence Day, guys!

Edit: Never mind. The alternative to this is that Durant signs with Golden State and ****s the rest of the league in the ***. We're all doomed. All hail Golden State.

lincecum=future
07-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Add Content

Alayla
07-04-2016, 12:03 PM
With this Durant news I am even more sad Philly didn't throw a max at this guy because we actually would have likely got him in that situation.

Scoots
07-04-2016, 12:29 PM
It's really hard for that to happen because the tv money drives the revenue and they lock that in 3 years before the actual money is paid and the cap is set.

There is a lot of risk next go around that the tv money will drop because ESPN massively overpaid to keep fox sports out and fox has said they can't support the type of payments ESPN is making
So it's possible :)

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Rivera
07-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Poor Dallas

thomass
07-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Matthew-Barnes-dirk. Super team!

TrueFan420
07-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Lol they're paying him close to what we're paying KD

Mr.B
07-04-2016, 02:25 PM
And when DWill and Dirk are both gone in a year or two, the Mavs will be left with an overpaid Barnes and a banged-up Wes Matthews. Eww.

Actually by the time Dirk is ready to retire (let's say 2 years) Matthews will only have 1 year left on his deal, and with the salary cap going up again the next two years his contract will be very tradable (especially considering it will be expiring). And if Barnes continues to improve his game under Carlisle (and Dirk) the Mavs will be in excellent position. Their next couple of draft picks should be lottery picks, and they will still have money to put quality pieces together with Barnes and Justin Anderson.

BKLYNpigeon
07-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Warriors just traded Bogut to Mavericks as a salary dump for KD.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Lol ****ing Cuban

kdspurman
07-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Maybe i'm missing something... But that is a lot of money for this guy lol

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Maybe i'm missing something... But that is a lot of money for this guy lol

They are banking on his potential. I think he will be a 20 point player guy for them. Inconsistent but hopefully he finds his way. Never seemed like he liked playing for the Warriors.

S & B Bleeder
07-04-2016, 04:10 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

Almost 100 Mill for a 10ppg career average guy who literally shot 9% in the Finals and is a turnstile on defense. Holy ****.

And I thought the Mozgov contract was horrid.

Barnes is absolute GARBAGE with his 'youth' being the ONLY redeeming quality.

Mark Cuban may be a brilliant businessman, but he absolutely sucks at gauging NBA talent.

Mr.B
07-04-2016, 04:13 PM
The Mozgov contract is horrid.

S & B Bleeder
07-04-2016, 04:17 PM
The Mozgov contract is horrid.

Absolutely.

Barnes is unequivocally worse. You dont give a guy who sucked as badly as he did a 94 million dollar contract because he's 'young'. He is just awful on Defense, and missed more WIDE OPEN shots than anyone i've seen in recent memory.

What happens now that he isnt getting those wide open shots all over the court from the defense doubling Klay or Steph?

Worst signing of the offseason so far.

Confusious
07-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Pretty much every contract signed is horrid.

Tampa Bay Lightning just signed Steven Stamkos to an eight year, 68 million dollar deal. Keep in mind he's a franchise player.

Whereas dudes in the NBA are making well over a hundred million with far less term. I know, hockey and NBA are totally different. To me, it just puts things into perspective.

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Pretty much every contract signed is horrid.

Tampa Bay Lightning just signed Steven Stamkos to an eight year, 68 million dollar deal. Keep in mind he's a franchise player.

Whereas dudes in the NBA are making well over a hundred million with far less term. I know, hockey and NBA are totally different. To me, it just puts things into perspective.

You're comparing a league that doesn't get anywhere near the recognition NBA players get. Two different sports, buddy. NBA is more star-centered than any other team sport.

FraziersKnicks
07-04-2016, 05:38 PM
I think Barnes has 18/7/3 potential with solid defense. He's a career 45/38/74 guy and per 36 over his career he's good for 12/6/2 and that's not even being any sort of focal point on offense.

I expect something around 15/6/3 with him being more part of the offense in Dallas. I don't think this will be a terrible deal at all.

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 05:44 PM
I think Barnes has 18/7/3 potential with solid defense. He's a career 45/38/74 guy and per 36 over his career he's good for 12/6/2 and that's not even being any sort of focal point on offense.

I expect something around 15/6/3 with him being more part of the offense in Dallas. I don't think this will be a terrible deal at all.

It will be if he ends up playing like a lost puppy as he did in the Finals. He has the ball more now. Might be their 1st/2nd option. Up to him to play like he's worth it.

Scoots
07-04-2016, 06:00 PM
"Best" Barnes is very skilled, he's a plus defender, he's a plus shooter, he's a plus rebounder ... the problem has always been how often that Barnes shows up. Maybe the answer for him was to get away from the Bay.

Through it all Harrison was an exceptionally good person and teammate.

Could be good, could be just okay.

GiantsSwaGG
07-04-2016, 06:02 PM
"Best" Barnes is very skilled, he's a plus defender, he's a plus shooter, he's a plus rebounder ... the problem has always been how often that Barnes shows up. Maybe the answer for him was to get away from the Bay.

Barnes benefited GREATLY playing with Curry/Thompson/Green finding him open shots. He's defense is overrated imo and when he's asked to create for himself (finals) he got exposed BIG TIME. This is a horrible signing and quite frankly a horrible fit because he's at his best when the opposing teams aren't focused on him.

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Barnes benefited GREATLY playing with Curry/Thompson/Green finding him open shots. He's defense is overrated imo and when he's asked to create for himself (finals) he got exposed BIG TIME. This is a horrible signing and quite frankly a horrible fit because he's at his best when the opposing teams aren't focused on him.

Gotta keep in mind that there isn't much to be had in the remaining free agency. All the big names are gone. He's probably one of the best remaining piece out there.

GiantsSwaGG
07-04-2016, 06:22 PM
Gotta keep in mind that there isn't much to be had in the remaining free agency. All the big names are gone. He's probably one of the best remaining piece out there.

Don't overreact and wait it out, you don't want this too come back and bite you later on because you were "desperate" I would have rather taken a chance on a Allen Crabbe who imo would of been better suited and cheaper. Slide Matthews to SF and you have a legit catch and shoot SG who can defend and of yeah he's 21

DboneG
07-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Mind you...Barnes had a bad Finals. But, This is it! He couldn't be in a better position. Dirk is ready to hand over the reins...Andrew Bogot coming over. He landed with a very good organization. He couldn't ask for a better landing. And max money! wow!

Harrison Barnes plays like he should...He's tha man in Dallas. Great opportunity.

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Don't overreact and wait it out, you don't want this too come back and bite you later on because you were "desperate" I would have rather taken a chance on a Allen Crabbe who imo would of been better suited and cheaper. Slide Matthews to SF and you have a legit catch and shoot SG who can defend and of yeah he's 21

I'm not saying it was the right signing but they are desperate to make something happen. They haven't had a good free agency for awhile now.

tredigs
07-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Mind you...Barnes had a bad Finals. But, This is it! He couldn't be in a better position. Dirk is ready to hand over the reins...Andrew Bogot coming over. He landed with a very good organization. He couldn't ask for a better landing. And max money! wow!

Harrison Barnes plays like he should...He's tha man in Dallas. Great opportunity.

I notice that you have been very high on Barnes. My advice is to temper your expectations. If he is a teams true #1 option, that team will be the worst in the NBA. To put it very simply, Harrison Barnes is not elite or shown the ability to be elite at any facet of NBA basketball. Frankly, likewise for college basketball. We have been banking on Harrison Barnes' potential since he was a high school star. Hint: It never came. In the playoffs, he proved to be a terrible 5th option.

GiantsSwaGG
07-04-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm not saying it was the right signing but they are desperate to make something happen. They haven't had a good free agency for awhile now.

and they still haven't even with the signing of Barnes, he's not good

IBleedPurple
07-04-2016, 06:35 PM
HayBarn and Bogut for Dallas, meh.

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 06:42 PM
and they still haven't even with the signing of Barnes, he's not good

Okay, so tell me, what are the Mavs options at this point? Sign-and-trade? With what pieces? They have zero options other than what's left.

tredigs
07-04-2016, 06:49 PM
I mean, just thinking on it more, there is a decent chance that the Mavericks will be in the running for the worst team in the NBA next season. Bogut will go down at some point, forcing Dirk to guard more bigs, and during that stretch they will just lose every game they play. When they are 100%, they'll have the ~20th or so best roster (assuming Dirk is as good as he was last year).

GiantsSwaGG
07-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Okay, so tell me, what are the Mavs options at this point? Sign-and-trade? With what pieces? They have zero options other than what's left.

Do nothing, me personally I would of went after Crabbe, a player with more potiental, much younger and much cheaper. I rather not sign anyone than SERVERLY overpay for Barnes. Like I said don't overreact and make smart move, this wasn't a smart move I'm sorry

Mr.B
07-04-2016, 08:17 PM

The Mavs are putting their faith in Carlise to get that out of him consistently. That's exactly why Carlisle got that extension. Next to Pop he's probably the 2nd best coach in the NBA.

Mr.B
07-04-2016, 08:23 PM

That's just it, he won't have to create for himself. That's not how Carlisle's system works. Mavs offense relies on motion, swinging the ball, spacing, and lots of pick and roll. Barnes will almost never have to create his own shot (unless he proves he can). They run very few iso plays. Carlisle also likes to get out and run. He's also going to get more shots in Dallas.

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Do nothing, me personally I would of went after Crabbe, a player with more potiental, much younger and much cheaper. I rather not sign anyone than SERVERLY overpay for Barnes. Like I said don't overreact and make smart move, this wasn't a smart move I'm sorry

They can't just do nothing.. they gotta pay 90% of the cap. Money HAS to be spent. They have no choice, literally. It's why so many teams were forking money over. Lose out and you'll spend $90 on the worst players.

Mr.B
07-04-2016, 08:29 PM
I notice that you have been very high on Barnes. My advice is to temper your expectations. If he is a teams true #1 option, that team will be the worst in the NBA. To put it very simply, Harrison Barnes is not elite or shown the ability to be elite at any facet of NBA basketball. Frankly, likewise for college basketball. We have been banking on Harrison Barnes' potential since he was a high school star. Hint: It never came. In the playoffs, he proved to be a terrible 5th option.

It will take longer than 1 off season for this team to rebuild. Especially since they are doing it while trying to keep Dirk from being in a tanking team. They now have 2 young pieces for the future in Barnes and Justin Anderson (and to a lesser extent Dwight Powell). They also have two trade chips in Bogut and DWill. They also have their 1st next season (which will likely be a lotto pick) and AJ Hammonds who they just drafted. By the time Dirk is ready to retire in 2 years a couple of these young guys should be ready to break out.

Mr.B
07-04-2016, 08:32 PM

They now have two trade chips (Bogut and DWill). I could see a scenario where the Mavs are the key piece in a 3 team trade that nets them 1 or two good young prospects (at the end of a playoff teams bench) and a draft pick or two.

Mr.B
07-04-2016, 08:35 PM
I mean, just thinking on it more, there is a decent chance that the Mavericks will be in the running for the worst team in the NBA next season. Bogut will go down at some point, forcing Dirk to guard more bigs, and during that stretch they will just lose every game they play. When they are 100%, they'll have the ~20th or so best roster (assuming Dirk is as good as he was last year).

If the trade deadline gets here and the Mavs are tanking and in position to get the top pick I would trade Bogut and DWill for picks. Next year's draft will be much deeper than this year and having a lot of picks like Boston did this year would be great.

tredigs
07-04-2016, 08:38 PM
If the trade deadline gets here and the Mavs are tanking and in position to get the top pick I would trade Bogut and DWill for picks. Next year's draft will be much deeper than this year and having a lot of picks like Boston did this year would be great.

Absolutely. No reason not to.

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 08:39 PM
They now have two trade chips (Bogut and DWill). I could see a scenario where the Mavs are the key piece in a 3 team trade that nets them 1 or two good young prospects (at the end of a playoff teams bench) and a draft pick or two.

Yes, now they do. But I was referring to before where they literally had nothing much other than Matthews (who's contract is pretty sketchy). They gotta resign Dirk, too. There's zero incentive for Dirk to take a paycut. They should pay the guy.

DboneG
07-04-2016, 09:05 PM

We will see. I say he helps Dallas to become a solid contender. With Dirk ready to hand the reins over to him. He has Dirk, Bogut, Derron, and a very good coach.

valade16
07-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Deron
Wes
Barnes
Dirk
Bogut

That is better than people think in here. No way they stay healthy though,

BKLYNpigeon
07-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Mavs will miss the playoffs next season.

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Deron
Wes
Barnes
Dirk
Bogut

It's good but I would not be surprised if 2/5 of them get injured. I really hope they play well. West has been distraught.

tredigs
07-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Deron
Wes
Barnes
Dirk
Bogut

I actually thought they were losing Deron and Wes as well for some reason. Definitely better than I originally posted with that lineup, though like you say, there is absolutely no way all those 5 play more than 25 games with one another.

We will see. I say he helps Dallas to become a solid contender. With Dirk ready to hand the reins over to him. He has Dirk, Bogut, Derron, and a very good coach.
CONTENDER? Dirk "HAND THE REIGNS TO BARNES". Dude, does Harrison Barnes have you under a spell. IS THIS Harrison Barnes I am talking to right now? After having watched hundreds of games of Harrison Barnes in his career, I am literally both laughing out loud and at a complete loss of words.

tredigs
07-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Deron
Wes
Barnes
Dirk
Bogut

I actually thought they were losing Deron and Wes as well for some reason. Definitely better than I originally posted with that lineup, though like you say, there is absolutely no way all those 5 play more than 25 games with one another.

CONTENDER? Dirk "HAND THE REIGNS TO BARNES". Dude, does Harrison Barnes have you under a spell?? Lol IS THIS Harrison Barnes I am talking to right now? After having watched hundreds of games of Harrison Barnes in his career, I am literally both laughing out loud and at a complete loss of words.

It's like saying "Thank God Wesley Johnson is in LA, so that Chris Paul can hand him the reigns when the time is right". Lol, do you know why Harrison Barnes started for Golden State instead of Iguodala? It's because he has zero playmaking ability and could not be the primary option against other teams 2nd units. Let that sink in. I am literally happier that Barnes is not on our squad for ~24 million a year than I am that Kevin Durant signed.

zookman65
07-05-2016, 07:06 AM
In the stacked West I think it would be a modern miracle if the Mavs finished .500 next season. If Dirk somehow miraculously plays as well as last season (still best player on team) and Harrison Barnes fits in perhaps they get an 8 seed?

Scoots
07-05-2016, 11:55 AM
In the stacked West I think it would be a modern miracle if the Mavs finished .500 next season. If Dirk somehow miraculously plays as well as last season (still best player on team) and Harrison Barnes fits in perhaps they get an 8 seed?

I find it kind of strange how people are so quick to dismiss the West after the top few teams. The West is tough all over the place. 4 of the top 5 teams in the NBA are in the West, and 8 of the top 13 are in the West too ... it's just that the title is in the east and the 6-10 spots are all East it makes the middle of the West look weaker than it is.

But yeah, if the Mavs make the playoffs they have to have a bunch of things go right for them.

Warriors
Spurs
Clippers
OKC
Blazers
Wolves
Pelicans
Rockets
-------
Grizzlies
Mavs
Jazz