PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers Back to LAC - 3 years, $35M

hugepatsfan
07-02-2016, 08:35 PM
https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/749400112309362688

Sources: Austin Rivers agrees to three-year, $35 million-plus deal with Clippers. @WojVerticalNBA on @TheVertical.

Lakers + Giants
07-02-2016, 08:40 PM
I know I can't say **** after my team signed Mozgov to arguably the worst contract ever, but this is still hilarious... :laugh2:

thomass
07-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Daddy got to get his son paid

GiantsSwaGG
07-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Dadddddy

Scoots
07-02-2016, 09:24 PM
I know I can't say **** after my team signed Mozgov to arguably the worst contract ever, but this is still hilarious... :laugh2:

I think you can talk all you want ... this is worse. MUCH.

Scoots
07-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Wow

minato_17
07-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Thanks to Doc? 😂

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

naps
07-02-2016, 10:27 PM
How obvious is it? Lol

Cal827
07-03-2016, 12:11 AM
:laugh2: The first article I read on the deal, started off basically with:

"Clippers Sign Austin Rivers, effectively ending their chances of signing Kevin Durant."

Now I know they had a very little chance of signing him anyways, but if the Clippers don't have a deep playoff run/title in the near future.... in a decade, "The Nepotism Curse" will be added to the list of torture that Clippers fans have had to endure.

spreadeagle
07-03-2016, 12:37 AM
Austin Rivers now makes more than Kyle Lowry and Steph Curry...what kind of bizzaro world is this

GoferKing_
07-03-2016, 05:09 AM
Dayum, Doc I am your long forgotten son, please give me 5mln per year and we be good.xD

mgjohnson7851
07-03-2016, 05:12 AM
So Rivers gets almost $13M a year, but Wade is supposed to be content with $8M-$10M a year? Yikes.

I know that everyone is getting paid, but I think this is the worst contract this off season. I mean the Mozgov contract is laughably bad, but this one is so bad that you actually feel sorry for Clippers fans.

With so many bad contracts being handed out this year, it makes you wonder if owners/gm's believe another amnesty clause will be available with the new cba.

JasonJohnHorn
07-03-2016, 08:11 AM
This is the worst contract so far this off season. Austin Rivers isn't even good enough to be in this league. He spoiled any chance at success with Lance by stealing his minutes, and ruined any chance of effectively integrating Smith by taking his shots.

If Doc was more concerned about maximizing Lance and Smith than giving his son minutes and shots, the Clippers would have been a better team.

Now you have some 'GM' giving his son a 35 mill contract?

Worst contract in the NBA. Easily.

And to think that they could have signed any other number of players with that money.

Jeezuz fawking Krist!

KnicksorBust
07-03-2016, 09:20 AM
The Clippers were -5.3 with Rivers on the court.
The Clippers were +9.8 with Rivers off the court.

He had the worst statistical impact out of anyone on the team that played more than 20% of the minutes. Obviously this means he should get a raise. I wish I could have seen the look on Chris Paul's face when he saw that news and knew they were taking themselves out of the Durant sweepstakes.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2016, 09:21 AM
:laugh2: The first article I read on the deal, started off basically with:

"Clippers Sign Austin Rivers, effectively ending their chances of signing Kevin Durant."

Now I know they had a very little chance of signing him anyways, but if the Clippers don't have a deep playoff run/title in the near future.... in a decade, "The Nepotism Curse" will be added to the list of torture that Clippers fans have had to endure.

I feel like it's the curse of KoB. They became my favorite team in the West when they got CP3. Great point about Durant.

Dade County
07-03-2016, 09:28 AM
I have no words for this sickness...smh

theducksmuggler
07-03-2016, 09:52 AM
There is no way any other team was offering him $12 mil a year right? Teams needed PGs but I honestly dont see a team paying Rivers the same as Lin and more then Delly I think those two arent the greatest but offer a lot more as a backup PG then Austin Rivers...if Chris Paul goes down Rivers cant help that team stay afloat in my opinion and if your paying your backup that much he better be able to keep your team around .500 when your starter goes down but thats just my opinion

IndyRealist
07-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Remember when people thought Austin Rivers was good?

Chronz
07-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Cocaine is a helluva drug

Cracka2HI!
07-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Holy Moly. I like Austin Rivers. Judging by the comments I am by far his biggest fan on PSD. That said, this sucks. What a horrible deal. I thought Doc would overpay Austin and give him 3 years $5-6 million per year. I'm not too upset about it because the team wouldn't have had cap space anyway.

hugepatsfan
07-03-2016, 12:15 PM
I doubt this was LAC's thinking but I will say this... If they ever want to make a trade, it helps to have these bigger salaries. As the comment above me points out, it's not like LAC would have had cap if they didn't do this. They used bird rights to go over the cap. So it was keep him or get nothing. They kept him. Now, if they want to trade for a role player, they can use him to make salaries match. That's hard to do with lower salary or vet min guys.

Again, I doubt that was their thinking but just pointing it out.

JAZZNC
07-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Hahahaha! Now the Clips have the worst GM and worst backup PG in the league. Doc has got to be one of the most overrated coaches in the NBA and how he is still a GM is beyond me. He obviously just looks out for his son to the detriment of the team. When I'd the owner gonna see that he is putting personal things ahead of the teams success??? I feel like Doc gets a pass for being extremely mediocre because he was gifted a super team and they got a ring.

hugepatsfan
07-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Clips just lost Aldrich their backup C. They're also expected to lose Jamal Crawford. We know Doc loves his former players... IF BOS gets Durant - huge IF but roll with me - then we can salary dump Terry Rozier and one of James Young/RJ Hunter/Jordan Mickey and have enough room to keep Sullinger's bird rights. S&T deal of Sullinger for Crawford on a S&T deal.

IT/Smart
Bradley/Rozier
Durant/Brown
Crowder/???
Horford/Olynyk

Room exception on a PF.

JasonJohnHorn
07-03-2016, 05:40 PM
Remember when people thought Austin Rivers was good?

No. I have no recollection of that. I remember people rolling their eyes when he got picked in the first round. lol

JasonJohnHorn
07-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Cocaine is a helluva drug

This is likely going to be the most apt response for about 1/3 of the posts in PSD the next couple of weeks.

Sssmush
07-03-2016, 08:59 PM

Timofey Mozgov >>> Austin Rivers

times 10

I mean check it out.... In this weird super max out free agency year, it is all about getting value. BIGS have value. A legit big in his prime at a 1/2 max deal, has value. A proven All Star who is also a great defender and locker room/character guy like Deng at a 1/2 max deal has value.

I mean let's not even talk about teams signing Bazemores and Biymombos and Harrison Barnes to straight up long term max deals... Clearly that is something for lesser teams. But signing an Austin Rivers to a 1/2 max deal is not good value if you ask me. Were there other bidders for him? If not maybe this is a conflict of interest. Just saying. Are there other documented bids for this guy? What were his other offers?

Regardless I think the Lakers are playing it smart at this point and building with what are essentially cost controlled pieces that are also tradeable and will help them win games now. And they are projecting that one or two or three of their young homegrown core pieces will become Harden/Durant/Curry/Green level superstar pieces.

But yeah... Would Austin Rivers even MAKE the Lakers right now? He might be like 12th in their rotation at backup point guard. Maybe his defense is ok but I wouldn't trade Lou Williams for him. I would trade Nick Young for him MAYBE just because he is possibly a better defender and playmaker (although Young is easily a better scorer) but at $12m just no way. No way.

I mean I guess if the Clippers are just set and they rather overpay Austin than let him walk to another team offering $12m that isn't unreasonable. Because they are over the cap regardless and maybe they think theyre marginally better with Austin rather than without him.

Weird. Lakers could just sign another Huertas or an undrafted free agent or euro point/combo guard for the league minimum and be better off or get the exact same level of production. Again the Clippers are over the cap though so the signing doesn't cost them anything in terms of cap space and they can't just spend that money on the open market. so, whatever. But it further hozes their cap situation long term though

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-04-2016, 03:43 AM
The best thing i read was that Austin signed for 3 year $35m dollar allowance.

They didnt have cap so in that sense it didn't hurt them this year. But if CP3 and/or Blake want to leave next year, its going to be tough to replace them with Rivers, Deandre, Crawford taking up that much money.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-04-2016, 03:56 AM
Why stop at 13 per Doc? Sign em to a max!

Chronz
07-04-2016, 10:25 AM
If Doc loses Aldrich Ill lose my ****

EDIT:

NVM, hes been gone. Who the **** plays backup Center for us now? We have a glut of wings

nycericanguy
07-04-2016, 10:30 AM
well its not like they could have used that money elsewhere, DOC did his family a favor by getting that $35m...lol.

Rivers isnt a bad player though and he's only 24... i thought he'd get around $8m per year.

Cracka2HI!
07-04-2016, 01:13 PM
If Doc loses Aldrich Ill lose my ****

EDIT:

NVM, hes been gone. Who the **** plays backup Center for us now? We have a glut of wings

There was no way to bring back Stone Cole. He would have been my 1st choice with the MLE but he got more money from Minnesota and the MLE was used to bring back Wes. Unfortunately the market this off-season only permitted Doc to bring back Jamal, Austin and Wes. Not a good off-season at all but the alternative would have been losing them for nothing and replacing them with all minimum salaries. With the way $ is being thrown around I won't be surprised if there is no one left at all for a minimum deal.