PDA

View Full Version : Orlando gets Biyombo

leprechaun5
07-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Jon Krawczynski ‏@APkrawczynski
AP Source: The Orlando Magic have agreed to terms on a 4-year deal with Bismack Biyombo.

5ass
07-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Oh no

Alayla
07-02-2016, 03:14 PM
Why?

Aust
07-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Wonder what the $ is.

Ibaka and Biyombo is an interesting pairing. Defensive blockers could be fun to watch.

Eagles4Lyfe
07-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Good add.
Biyombo and Ibaka on the same team is a Masai Ujiri wet dream

leprechaun5
07-02-2016, 03:17 PM
^^But Vucevic has to play 30+ minutes, right??

RLundi
WTF is Hennigan DOING?!?

HandsOnTheWheel
Do they plan on trading Aaron Gordon? First Ibaka and now Biyombo, SMH.

Can Gordon play the 3?

5ass
07-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Why?

They want to build an elite defensive team.

Wade n Fade
07-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Vucevic could be on the block tbh. If there is a C to overpay and get, it would've been Biz for the Lakers, but no, they wanted Mozgov.

To add, the Magic have a scary bad offensive starting 5: Payton, Fournier, Gordon, Ibaka, and Vucevic. Fournier can be taken out on the equation. Ibaka is going to be inconsistent. Vucevic might get his #s though. Still, a PG that can't shoot doesn't help.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Jeff Green, Fournier, Hezonja, Jodie Meeks, Nicholson, Dedmon, Jason Smith, Ibaka, Vucevic, Biyombo.

I just don't see where Gordon fits in here.

5ass
07-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Jeff Green, Fournier, Hezonja, Jodie Meeks, Nicholson, Dedmon, Jason Smith, Ibaka, Vucevic, Biyombo.

Well dedmon, smith, and Nicholson aren't on the roster, and yes Gordon can play the 3.

FraziersKnicks
07-02-2016, 03:25 PM
SURELY a Vucevic trade is coming... SURELY.

If not, WTF!

Ibaka/Vuc/Biyombo/Green/Gordon

You can't play Green or Gordon at SF because the spacing would be terrible when Payton is on the floor.

hugepatsfan
07-02-2016, 03:26 PM

Nicholson was non-tendered. Smith is a FA. Dedmon is an RFA.

Payton/Augustin
Fournier/Meeks
Green/Hozonja
Ibaka/Gordon
Vucevic/Biyombo

Looks like it all fits to me at least in terms of everyone playing. I just doubt they match an offer to Dedmon now.

MagicBucsSox
07-02-2016, 03:30 PM
WTF is Hennigan DOING?!?

Vucecvic is on his way out. Hopefully for a scorer

FraziersKnicks
I'm scared for ManRam that this is for $15m+

HandsOnTheWheel
Well dedmon, smith, and Nicholson aren't on the roster, and yes Gordon can play the 3.

He's still not going to get much time.

leprechaun5
4/70 per Stein.

Chronz
Orlando is building its team the way I do in 2K. Just hoarding assets even if I trade them later.

Wade n Fade
07-02-2016, 03:31 PM

Payton/Augustin
Fournier/Meeks
Green/Hozonja
Ibaka/Gordon
Vucevic/Biyombo

Looks like it all fits to me at least in terms of everyone playing. I just doubt they match an offer to Dedmon now.

That's still a bad team because the offensive challenges are aplenty. Green, Ibaka are inconsistent to say the least. Hezonja has a lot of room to grow. DJ Augustin finds his way on the trading block so often. A Vucevic trade has to be in the works. Maybe a deal with Mil can help? Kris Middleton can play the 2 or 3.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-02-2016, 03:34 PM

Payton/Augustin
Fournier/Meeks
Green/Hozonja
Ibaka/Gordon
Vucevic/Biyombo

Gotcha. It just seemed like common sense that the Magic would try and open up more playing time for guys like Gordon and Hezonja, but those guys are buried now, although I agree the depth does look good on paper.

FraziersKnicks
07-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Sheeeesh... $17.5m per for a career 4.6/6.5 guy who averaged 22 minutes per game last season.

aman_13
07-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Sheeeesh... $17.5m per for a career 4.6/6.5 guy who averaged 22 minutes per game last season.

He's at his best as a starter. I'm not sure the Magic will be able to get the most out of him with the way the big rotation is constructed right now.

Rivera
07-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Payton/Augustin
Fournier/Meeks
Green/Hozonja
Ibaka/Gordon
Vucevic/Biyombo

Gordon is starting at the 3. He has worked on his shot a lot and it's gotten better

We don't have a #1 scorer but we are athletic and we can run now block. I'm sure we're waiting in Mario /Elf/AG to take the next step and iblocka wants a bigger spotlight so we will see

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 03:45 PM
Hes only 23 and has very good impact stats. Granted for minimal minutes. But his teams perform very well while he is on the court.

5ass
07-02-2016, 03:47 PM

15 mill would've been good IMO, but its not a huge overpay.

aman_13
07-02-2016, 03:49 PM
He does a very good job setting screens, can switch on guards and will be a beast on the boards. Not to mention the elite shot blocking.

Magic fans will love this guy.

BKLYNpigeon
07-02-2016, 03:55 PM
If Magic can't extend Ibaka, they can trade him before the deadline.

GiantsSwaGG
07-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Hopefully he's not the next Jerome James

DboneG
07-02-2016, 04:03 PM

Payton/Augustin
Fournier/Meeks
Green/Hozonja
Ibaka/Gordon
Vucevic/Biyombo

Correct.

5ass
07-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Payton(30)/DJ(18)
Fournier(30)/Mario(18)
Gordon(20)/Mario(7)/green(21)
Ibaka(30)/Gordon(10)/biyombo(8)
Vucevic(30)/biyombo(18)

Its a pretty crowded front court, but a lot of these guys can play multiple positions. If you just trade Vucevic or cut green, there's more than enough playing time.

TheDish87
07-02-2016, 04:08 PM
weird move, doesnt seem necessary.

DboneG
07-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Orlando is quietly putting together a decent team... Ibaka wanted to have more touches and be able to lead. He's going to get his wish. Let's see where he takes them.

I like Biyombo! He's a great motor, very good defender, he don't need the ball to be effective. Good move! Biyombo need to hit his free throws!!! Get away from all that Hack-a-Biyombo crap.

DboneG
07-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Payton(30)/DJ(18)
Fournier(30)/Mario(18)
Gordon(20)/Mario(7)/green(21)
Ibaka(30)/Gordon(10)/biyombo(8)
Vucevic(30)/biyombo(18)

Its a pretty crowded front court, but a lot of these guys can play multiple positions. If you just trade Vucevic or cut green, there's more than enough playing time.

I think Orlando is just getting good ball players with good backgrounds. Not too worried about what position they play and all that. And there's a lot of good FA's out there! Why wait. Pick some of them up.

aman_13
07-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Orlando is quietly putting together a decent team... Ibaka wanted to have more touches and be able to lead. He's going to get his wish. Let's see where he takes them.

I like Biyombo! He's a great motor, very good defender, he don't need the ball to be effective. Good move! Biyombo need to hit his free throws!!! Get away from all that Hack-a-Biyombo crap.

If I'm not mistaken, I think he shot over 60% at the ft line. Can't really hack him. It didn't work out so well last yr when teams tried to.

MagicBucsSox
07-02-2016, 04:20 PM
The hack-a-whoever is banned next season anyway

ManRam
07-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Being a very anti-Vucevic person I'm OK with this. He's young, he can defend, and he can move. I'm excited to have some great front court defense again.

I'd imagine this does indeed mean Vucevic gets moved at some point, though his contract is so reasonable now that I don't think they have to rush (his contract enhances his trade value, I'd imagine). I think you can play Vuc next to Biyombo a decent amount. They compliment each other well-enough. The minutes can work out as currently constructed.

The parts don't all fit but I'm pretty happy with what they've done this summer.

Scoring might be an issue. I'd imagine that if Rob is looking to make another trade it would be to address that. In a perfect world I'd move Vuc and Elf for a serious upgrade at PG (one who can shoot and score). Not sure that's out there though.

aman_13
07-02-2016, 04:24 PM
The East has some legit teams. It's going to be tough next yr.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-02-2016, 05:03 PM
I like it he is only 23 and 18 a year is not bad at all moz for 16-17 a year right?

I like what we have done we weren't getting the huge names but we spent super wisely and will still be flexible next offseason and we have trade chips ... deff need a true scorer outside of fournier ... wish we had or could get a better shooting PG .... we shall see

FraziersKnicks
07-02-2016, 05:05 PM
If I'm the Magic I really don't want Gordon playing too much at SF. At least not with Payton on the floor. The spacing would be horrendous.

FraziersKnicks
07-02-2016, 05:08 PM
I like it he is only 23 and 18 a year is not bad at all moz for 16-17 a year right?

I like what we have done we weren't getting the huge names but we spent super wisely and will still be flexible next offseason and we have trade chips ... deff need a true scorer outside of fournier ... wish we had or could get a better shooting PG .... we shall see

Augustin seemed like a pointless signing with Payton and Watson on the team already. Green seems like a strange signing since it takes minutes away from Gordon. Maybe that was just to make sure they reach the cap floor? I suppose a year isn't bad.

The Biyombo signing isn't terrible IF you guys trade Vuc, but until then it doesn't seem like there's enough big man minutes to go round.

THE MTL
07-02-2016, 05:12 PM
This guy got paid over onevgood playoff series. Jermone james 2.0

5ass
07-02-2016, 05:13 PM
If I'm the Magic I really don't want Gordon playing too much at SF. At least not with Payton on the floor. The spacing would be horrendous.

Why? Gordon is improving his shooting, and so is Payton. Ibaka, Vucevic and Fournier can all stretch the floor.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Green is on a one year deal so I can't complain I always liked green but we shall see.

DJ is great back up pg I could see Watson being moved at some point ....

I'm not a fan of vuc like others he is great on scoring but he sucks on D to me if you score 30 but give up 30 your not helping much.

But everyone has judged every move henny has made before letting it play out so I would wait and see what happens... they could package vuc and AG and picks for someone decent IMO u never know

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-02-2016, 05:19 PM

Maybe, maybe not, he is 23 .... he impressed alot of pple last year not just in playoffs. He has the skills to be very good for a long time in this league ....

I can think of alot worse deals that happened this off season so ill wait and see

MagicBucsSox
07-02-2016, 05:22 PM

aman_13
07-02-2016, 05:45 PM

That is incredibly untrue. He was huge for the Raps all yr.

da ThRONe
07-02-2016, 06:09 PM
And with this signing I've lost a lot of faith in Rob Hennigan! Unless he's shipping out Vevuvic I don't get it.

greg_ory_2005
07-02-2016, 06:10 PM

Wrong.

He was really good all year for us. And also stepped up big when Val missed games in the regular season

GoferKing_
07-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Soo you have to play good for a couple of PO games and bam, you get 17.5 mln a year, nice... God why am I short...

R. Johnson#3
07-02-2016, 06:31 PM
So many people in this thread will be eating their words. Biyombo is such a great presence to have on D and he came up big for the Raps all year. Him and Ibaka on D will be deadly.

da ThRONe
07-02-2016, 06:36 PM
So many people in this thread will be eating their words. Biyombo is such a great presence to have on D and he came up big for the Raps all year. Him and Ibaka on D will be deadly.

I don't necessarily dislike Biyombo just don't see how he's supposed to get the mins necessary to justify his contract playing behind Vucevic, and Ibaka likely get a decent amount of mins at the 5 with Gordon at the 4.

5ass
07-02-2016, 06:38 PM

Definitely going to throw a block party. I'm excited to see those finger wags :no::no:

ManRam
07-02-2016, 06:43 PM
I don't necessarily dislike Biyombo just don't see how he's supposed to get the mins necessary to justify his contract playing behind Vucevic, and Ibaka likely get a decent amount of mins at the 5 with Gordon at the 4.

I feel like 90% of the time we're worried about how players will get minutes that problem sorts itself out. Vuc could be traded. Someone will inevitably get hurt. AG can play a lot of 3. Biyombo and Vuc can get some minutes together. Maybe some nights they lean on some guys over others based on match ups they like. Who knows?

It's a good problem to have. And I think it will sort itself out

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Anyone who thinks biz came here thinking he would be on the bench and not start is crazy.... not happening vuc can come off bench for a great 2nd unit punch or be traded

da ThRONe
07-02-2016, 07:47 PM
I feel like 90% of the time we're worried about how players will get minutes that problem sorts itself out. Vuc could be traded. Someone will inevitably get hurt. AG can play a lot of 3. Biyombo and Vuc can get some minutes together. Maybe some nights they lean on some guys over others based on match ups they like. Who knows?

It's a good problem to have. And I think it will sort itself out

90%? This can and have been serious issues on teams. I'm not saying the issue can't be resolved, but it can't be ignored or assumed things "just work themselves out".

koreancabbage
07-02-2016, 07:50 PM
for the record, as I watched Biyombo last year, he isn't that great offensively.

maybe hit a jump shot here and there but everytiime they pass him the ball in traffic, he loses it. He's still stone hands Biyombo. If you have to pass it to him, above the rim is what he seems to able to catch.

Defensively, he's mobile. he's strictly a pure energy energy guy but considering the team, right now, will have difficulty to score, and the lack of playmakers on the team, this was a bad move for Orlando. a true 3 would have been better than to stick Gordan, probably a natural 4, out of position. imo

Scoots
07-02-2016, 07:51 PM
I would happily take Gordon on the Warriors for Barnes (who can shoot).

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-02-2016, 07:52 PM
No thanks on Barnes .... not at all

Aust
07-02-2016, 07:54 PM
for the record, as I watched Biyombo last year, he isn't that great offensively.

maybe hit a jump shot here and there but everytiime they pass him the ball in traffic, he loses it. He's still stone hands Biyombo. If you have to pass it to him, above the rim is what he seems to able to catch.

Defensively, he's mobile. he's strictly a pure energy energy guy but considering the team, right now, will have difficulty to score, and the lack of playmakers on the team, this was a bad move for Orlando. a true 3 would have been better than to stick Gordan, probably a natural 4, out of position. imo

That's putting it lightly. He's horrible offensively, but Orlando knows that. He'll play his role, do his thing.

Cracka2HI!
07-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Add Orlando to the list of bad teams tying up their cap space for years to come with average players. This isn't a bad signing compared to the others but I just don't see Orlando as a competitive team. Maybe they are looking to make a trade.

MagicBucsSox
07-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Add Orlando to the list of bad teams tying up their cap space for years to come with average players. This isn't a bad signing compared to the others but I just don't see Orlando as a competitive team. Maybe they are looking to make a trade.
Where is ALL THIS MONEY tied up in Orlando? Do tell

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Yea money isn't tied up buddy ... biz and Evan are only long term signings and they aren't bad deals and they are both young.

Ibaka, green are both expiring tho we will keep ibaka I'm sure ....

Vuc is at 13 a year I think , jodie expiring 1 year deal .... DJ 6-7 mil a year....

So yea no cap typed up for year we will have money for Max contract again next off season. Maybe 2

nycericanguy
07-03-2016, 12:47 PM
i really liked where ORL was going a year or two ago, but now they just seem to keep re-shuffling pieces without any clear direction.

they still have a ton of assets, but they got nothing for Harris, and now they will have to pay Ibaka huge money or lose Oladipo and Sabonis for nothing too.

5ass
07-03-2016, 07:02 PM
What I don't understand is why didn't he choose to sign with another team that doesn't already have a starting center. The Blazers offered more money to Enes Kanter, how did they not try to sign Biyombo? Wizards paid only 2 mill less per year for Mahimni and like the blazers, he'd have less competition as a starter. I'm sure there are other teams that could've used him, like the Mavs. I don't get why he chose to come to a team with a more proven starting center. Was it a big overpay, and no other team offered him a similar contract? Was he guaranteed a starting spot? Was he drawn to the defensive culture the Magic are building?

Jamiecballer
07-03-2016, 09:28 PM
As a raptor fan I'm living my worst dream right now - derozan resigned and biyombo gone. Well, it was a good run.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

MagicBucsSox
07-03-2016, 11:06 PM
What I don't understand is why didn't he choose to sign with another team that doesn't already have a starting center. The Blazers offered more money to Enes Kanter, how did they not try to sign Biyombo? Wizards paid only 2 mill less per year for Mahimni and like the blazers, he'd have less competition as a starter. I'm sure there are other teams that could've used him, like the Mavs. I don't get why he chose to come to a team with a more proven starting center. Was it a big overpay, and no other team offered him a similar contract? Was he guaranteed a starting spot? Was he drawn to the defensive culture the Magic are building?

The Florida women? Vogel made Hibbert a defensive star? No state tax ? The Congo connection?