PDA

View Full Version : PSD's Annual Top-30 Players in the NBA: #4

Shammyguy3
07-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Here we go, kicking off #4. Remember, this is based on RIGHT NOW, not necessarily who was the best this past season, or who will be the best. It's a tricky debate, how much do you factor in the playoffs? Injuries? Team-fit? Etc. Here's what we have so far:

1. Lebron James
2. Stephen Curry
3. Kevin Durant
4. ????

Dade County
07-02-2016, 01:43 PM
West for me.

TylerSL
07-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Kawhi for me, followed closely by Westbrook.

FraziersKnicks
07-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Kawhi here for me, then CP3/AD/Westbrook/PG13

Chronz
07-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Kawhi has to be the choice here, you cant ignore hes the DPOY while Westbrook holds his team back on that end. Offensively, I challenge anyone to explain why his stats are anything but similar.

Chronz
07-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Kawhi here for me, then CP3/AD/Westbrook/PG13

The more I watch AD, the more Shawn Marion/Amare qualities I see. Great player but someone not nearly as elite as his stats suggest, I would have AD around Blakes level before the RWB /Kawhi/CP3 club. Still very talented but his complete lack of a floor game and utter reliance on guard play worries me. He basically only impacts the game with his own production and gravity, he has no elite 1v1 moves and doesn't control the flow of the game on either end. He will be a beast when he puts it all together tho.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Kawhi.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 10:47 PM
westy should have gone before durant but whatever westy here then.

Sadds The Gr8
07-02-2016, 11:13 PM
so close between kawhi and westbrook but slight lean to kawhi.

Sadds The Gr8
07-02-2016, 11:13 PM
westy should have gone before durant but whatever westy here then.

nah, too bad on D

GREATNESS ONE
07-03-2016, 01:07 AM
Westy
Kawhi
PG
AD

Jets012
07-03-2016, 01:30 AM
CP3/Westy
Kahwi

KnicksorBust
07-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Tempted to go with CP3 after the way he led the Clippers with Blake out but going with Kawhi here for the two-way dominance and the way he took a step forward offensively.

THE MTL
07-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Kawhi has to be the choice here, you cant ignore hes the DPOY while Westbrook holds his team back on that end. Offensively, I challenge anyone to explain why his stats are anything but similar.

Russell Westbrook is by NO MEANS a defensive liability.

jimm120
07-03-2016, 06:21 PM
I actually thought that Westbrook had a better year than Durant.

Like, Durant would always be ranked 2nd or 3rd, while Westbrook would be ranked like 5th. To me, this year Westbrook was more like the 3rd best and Durant the 4th.

Not much difference, lol. But just saying.

TylerSL
07-03-2016, 08:09 PM

Westbrook isn't a liability, but his point is still valid. Their offensive production was very similar. Westbrook only scored ~2 PPG more, however, Kawhi is a much more efficient and level-headed scorer. Westbrook gets too emotional and takes too many bad shots, and Kawhi is also a much better defender.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2016, 08:16 PM
West for me.

What does he do better than Kawhi other than pass...bc he is a pg... and get to the free throw line.

Kawhi is the more efficient scorer, better shooter, higher bball iq, better on ball defender, better help defender, and easier to build around.

Sadds The Gr8
07-03-2016, 10:10 PM
What does he do better than Kawhi other than pass...bc he is a pg... and get to the free throw line.

Kawhi is the more efficient scorer, better shooter, higher bball iq, better on ball defender, better help defender, and easier to build around.

looks like triple doubles still have the charming effect on ppl...

WaDe03
07-04-2016, 01:38 AM
Kawhi isn't better than Westbrook, I'm glad we got it right lol.

kdspurman
07-04-2016, 10:10 AM
Kawhi isn't better than Westbrook, I'm glad we got it right lol.

That depends on what people are looking at when comparing

Chronz
07-04-2016, 10:30 AM

Hes at best a net neutral defender. Dude coasts on defense, refuses to get back in transition and is only engaged when the ball is near him.

Hes the reason OKC isn't an elite defensive team despite their size, length and athletic ability.

WaDe03
07-04-2016, 10:59 AM
That depends on what people are looking at when comparing

Comparing who's the better player which is Westbrook. Kawhi is good but he's beginning to be really overrated.

mightybosstone
07-04-2016, 11:12 AM
It's gotta be Westbrook here.

thenaj17
07-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Westbrook easily next for me.

Leonard is a much better defender of course but teams game plan specifically around Westbrook and they don't around Leonard. Anyone can look at stats and say Leonard is more efficient etc. but it's easy to be a lot more efficient when surrounded by great shooters spreading the floor and top quality inside play. Roberson, Adams & Ibaka certainly don't provide anywhere near as much offensive support as Green, Parker, Aldridge.

The problem for Westy is that him and Durant don't seem to play off each other that well as they both need the ball in their hands.

After this i'd edge for Paul George ahead of Leonard because of supporting casts and work loads. Just my personal preference

kdspurman
07-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Comparing who's the better player which is Westbrook. Kawhi is good but he's beginning to be really overrated.

Haha.. Overrated how?

mightybosstone
07-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Haha.. Overrated how?

I think he's overrated from an offensive standpoint. Is he insanely efficient? Most definitely. A player with his physicality that shoots 44 percent from the 3-point line and 87 percent from the free throw line with so few turnovers (1.5 per game) is ridiculous. That being said, his USG rate (25.8 last season) was a career high and still didn't crack the top 20 in the league, and for a wing, he doesn't create many shots for others.

I just think Leonard is better suited as a hyper-efficient No. 2 in this league than he is a No. 1. He just doesn't take over games like some of the other guys on this list. And when asked to be the guy in the postseason, he doesn't always step up (as he proved in the OKC series a few weeks ago).

Is that nitpicking a bit? Most definitely. And I'll almost certainly vote for him at No. 5. But when you're talking about the best players in the league, you kind of have to nitpick, you know? But that's not to diminish the unbelievable player he's become or his impact on the Spurs. He's a phenomenal talent. I just prefer Westbrook for his offensive skillset and versatility.

kdspurman
07-04-2016, 12:19 PM
I think he's overrated from an offensive standpoint. Is he insanely efficient? Most definitely. A player with his physicality that shoots 44 percent from the 3-point line and 87 percent from the free throw line with so few turnovers (1.5 per game) is ridiculous. That being said, his USG rate (25.8 last season) was a career high and still didn't crack the top 20 in the league, and for a wing, he doesn't create many shots for others.

I just think Leonard is better suited as a hyper-efficient No. 2 in this league than he is a No. 1. He just doesn't take over games like some of the other guys on this list. And when asked to be the guy in the postseason, he doesn't always step up (as he proved in the OKC series a few weeks ago).

Is that nitpicking a bit? Most definitely. And I'll almost certainly vote for him at No. 5. But when you're talking about the best players in the league, you kind of have to nitpick, you know? But that's not to diminish the unbelievable player he's become or his impact on the Spurs. He's a phenomenal talent. I just prefer Westbrook for his offensive skillset and versatility.

I understand what you're sayin here. I guess I feel like I won't penalize him if the way the Spurs play maybe lower his usage than other players in the league. Pop has said he feels bad cause he felt he ruined his stars stats with limiting their minutes, or ball movement wise, etc...

I feel like the same way you can nitpick with Kawhi, you can do with Russell, in that sometimes Russell hurts his team far more than he helps. You don't usually get that with Kawhi. Even if he struggles offensively, you know he will still bring it defensively and rebounding the ball.

Being ranked 4 or 5 really isn't that big a difference. I just don't believe Kawhi is overrated

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 01:59 PM
I think Kawhi is overrated, tbh. He never had to carry the loads some other players did. Maybe he's under the radar with his quietness.

bigmac8675
07-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Kawhi here for sure. Then CP3, then Westbrook

kdspurman
07-04-2016, 03:18 PM
I think Kawhi is overrated, tbh. He never had to carry the loads some other players did. Maybe he's under the radar with his quietness.

that's what it is. its amazing how people perceive quiet guys. same thing happened with TD at times. Is what it is though, I think most people realize Kawhi's greatness. Couple people thinking he's overrated doesn't change that facts

Shawn2timer
07-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Westbrook.
Leonard

FlashBolt
07-04-2016, 03:19 PM
that's what it is. its amazing how people perceive quiet guys. same thing happened with TD at times. Is what it is though, I think most people realize Kawhi's greatness. Couple people thinking he's overrated doesn't change that facts

He's definitely top five for me. Wouldn't mind if CP3 was fifth, either.

Shammyguy3
07-04-2016, 04:03 PM
here's #5
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?911840-PSD-s-Annual-Top-30-Players-in-the-NBA-5