PDA

View Full Version : Luol Deng signs 4-year, $72 million deal with Lakers

NYKnickFanatic
07-02-2016, 08:57 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/7/2/11951292/luol-deng-free-agency-nba-los-angeles-lakers-heat

mia1619
07-02-2016, 08:58 AM
What in the world is the Lakers plan. This offseason is the epitome of why it is not a premier free agent destination right now. They have no ****ing plan for what they are doing. They are after anyone who will sign with them.

IndyRealist
07-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Still useful, still an overpay.

Dade County
07-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Good for Deng, as long as they play him at the 4, Laker fans will be happy.

FraziersKnicks
07-02-2016, 09:13 AM
$136m on Deng and Mozgov :laugh2:

The Lakers will be paying $34m to a 33 year old Mozgov and 34 year old Deng in 2019!

What's their starting 5 gonna look like going into the season then?

Russell
Clarkson
Ingram
Deng
Mozgov

With Randle on the bench?

That team will be lucky to win 20 games next season.

Makes me quite happy we took a flyer on Noah for the same price considering he is more than twice either these guys when healthy.

theducksmuggler
07-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Even with the cap going up next year the Lakers will using 30% of their cap space on 30+ Timofey Mozgov and 30+Luol Deng making it impossible for them to sign multiple MAX players next year without trading one of them and they are going to be hard to trade...that is literally insane to me.

Teeboy1487
07-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Horrible signings by the Lakers.

DboneG
07-02-2016, 09:32 AM
I think the Lakers will be competitive this coming season...that's about it. Make the playoffs? That's a tough one...I'll say no. Numb-nuts Luke will have a decent team to start with. Luol is a solid player. He had a solid year for the Heat..then, a up and down playoff season. The Heat will miss him for sure!

theducksmuggler
07-02-2016, 09:36 AM
Also signing Deng automatically puts one of their young players on the bench Ingram or Randle will be on the bench and they may cause some issues

TheDish87
07-02-2016, 09:38 AM
lol Lakers.

Dade County
07-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Even with the cap going up next year the Lakers will using 30% of their cap space on 30+ Timofey Mozgov and 30+Luol Deng making it impossible for them to sign multiple MAX players next year without trading one of them and they are going to be hard to trade...that is literally insane to me.

Both moves are good to me, not saying i agree with the contract amounts though.

Mozgov isnt as bad as posters are trying to make him out to be.

& you guys are going to like Deng at the 4. He doesnt have to start but he will fit your new offense & help your young players out in tough spots (& good locker room guy).

Antipod
What has happened to this franchise ?? They used Kobe`s "money" to sign Mozgov and Deng:confused:
How did LAL lost the sparkles to lure top tier player???

TylerSL
As a Heat fan I hate to see him go, but Deng deserves this. Luol really saved our hides after Lebron left and gave us two solid years. He really reinvented himself as a stretch four after Bosh went down with clots again. He's a leader in the locker room and on the floor, he will do wonders for the younger guys, and he will bring stable production to the team. Great signing for the Lakers. If you give Mozgov $16 million/year, Deng is easily worth $18 million/year.

And Laker fans keep in mind, top stars do not want to come to you guys right now. This is how you climb back up the rungs of the NBA hierarchy. Get good veterans to go along with solid young players. You guys are on your way to having both. It may take another year or two, but franchise players will start looking at the Lakers again.

Again, I'm disappointed to see him go, but glad he got this kind of a contract for all he's done in the league.

DboneG
07-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Loul is solid...meaning he's good at everything. He's a very good locker room presence. A BIG PLUS! Looking at what the Lakers went through last year. He don't get in trouble off the court. You need a veteran like Loul to blend with the Lakers youngs that don't know how to win. This is a good pick up for the Lakers. Loul work out during the off season, he will be in shape when camp starts, he's professional. WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT FROM A PLAYER?

DboneG
07-02-2016, 09:44 AM
As a Heat fan I hate to see him go, but Deng deserves this. Luol really saved our hides after Lebron left and gave us two solid years. He really reinvented himself as a stretch four after Bosh went down with clots again. He's a leader in the locker room and on the floor, he will do wonders for the younger guys, and he will bring stable production to the team. Great signing for the Lakers. If you give Mozgov $16 million/year, Deng is easily worth $18 million/year.

And Laker fans keep in mind, top stars do not want to come to you guys right now. This is how you climb back up the rungs of the NBA hierarchy. Get good veterans to go along with solid young players. You guys are on your way to having both. It may take another year or two, but franchise players will start looking at the Lakers again.

Again, I'm disappointed to see him go, but glad he got this kind of a contract for all he's done in the league.

Exactly.

TylerSL
07-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Horrible signings by the Lakers.

Do you realize how good of an influence he will be on D'Angelo and Ingram? This is a solid move.

thomass
07-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Oh deng

Dade County
07-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Some Laker posters seem to be unwise. They are just looking for the big name.

SenileStern
07-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Already excited as a Lakers fan. Some talent and depth on that team.

Just saw Vince Carter praising the Mozgov and Deng signings during the Mavs-OKC game.

nycericanguy
07-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Do you realize how good of an influence he will be on D'Angelo and Ingram? This is a solid move.

yea man but you don't pay 20% of your cap for a vet to give solid influence...lol. that can be done with vet min guys.

Can't believe Deng just got $18m.

the two craziest contracts BY FAR have been Deng & Mozzy... I mean Deng was washed up two years ago, he's a decent player, but $18m? and for FOUR years?

nycericanguy
07-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Already exited as a Lakers fan. Some talent and depth on that team.

Just saw Vince Carter praising the Mozgov and Deng signings during the Mavs-OKC game.

you probably meant excited, but exited should be the right word.

Chacarron
07-02-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm not mad at this signing. Mozgov deal was a head scratcher for sure. It's clearly obvious the Lakers are banking on their young guys developing into all-star caliber players. This signing will make the Lakers more competitive for sure but at the same time provide great mentorship to the young guys, in particular D'Lo, Randle and Ingram.

shep33
07-02-2016, 10:01 AM
I really like this signing. He's going to be our 4 most likely. I see Randle getting traded now, so I think there is more to his.

Walton is bringing the "death ball" lineup to LA.

So without a doubt Deng is our 4. I love this for Russell, people are going to see him absolutely destroy it next year. High P and R with Mozzy is going to space everyone out. 4 solid shooters on the court. Love it.

Plus defensively, we finally have a capable defender.

Love this signing

'

hugepatsfan
07-02-2016, 10:02 AM
They're in a tough spot... no one worth paying will go there unless they get better. But in order to get better in this market they need to pay guys more than their worth which takes them out of the running for guy that are worth it down the line.

My issue with their deals is the length not the money because they're a couple years away. But then again, that's the going rate so IDK what they can do.

IndyRealist
07-02-2016, 10:20 AM
yea man but you don't pay 20% of your cap for a vet to give solid influence...lol. that can be done with vet min guys.

Can't believe Deng just got $18m.

the two craziest contracts BY FAR have been Deng & Mozzy... I mean Deng was washed up two years ago, he's a decent player, but $18m? and for FOUR years?
What rotational vet is going to go to the Lakers for the minimum, when they can go to a contender for the same money?

IndyRealist
07-02-2016, 10:23 AM
As far as I'm concerned, these aren't bad moves by the Lakers. Reason being they're not planning on contending until Ingram's 2nd contract four years from now. What they do right now is build a team to maximize Ingram's development. Defenders, vet leadership, team guys.

nycericanguy
07-02-2016, 10:23 AM
What rotational vet is going to go to the Lakers for the minimum, when they can go to a contender for the same money?

elton brand went to PHI last year... vets go to bad teams all the time for various reasons.

doesnt HAVE to be vet min guy, but huge gray area between vet min and $18m per year for FOUR years

theducksmuggler
07-02-2016, 11:13 AM

& you guys are going to like Deng at the 4. He doesnt have to start but he will fit your new offense & help your young players out in tough spots (& good locker room guy).

Oh I am a 76ers obsessed fan I hate the Lakers I just think the value of that Lakers pick we own is getting better and better :)

Tony_Starks
07-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Good signing, bad amount.

*Side note: anybody that criticized Kobe for taking the money, under the guise that he should've left money on the table so they could sign talent, please take the time now to eat crow.

Buss would've probably given max contracts to Kirk Heinrich and Hakeem Warrick!

Giannis94
07-02-2016, 11:27 AM
What's the terms on the pick owed to Philly?

jerellh528
07-02-2016, 11:28 AM
I really like this signing. He's going to be our 4 most likely. I see Randle getting traded now, so I think there is more to his.

Walton is bringing the "death ball" lineup to LA.

So without a doubt Deng is our 4. I love this for Russell, people are going to see him absolutely destroy it next year. High P and R with Mozzy is going to space everyone out. 4 solid shooters on the court. Love it.

Plus defensively, we finally have a capable defender.

Love this signing

'

You don't trade Randle due to signing an old *** bench vet

omdigga
07-02-2016, 11:37 AM
i like Deng.. I stopped looking at how much the players are getting paid and just focusing on fit.. Lakers did good here.

IKnowHoops
07-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Wade deserves more than Deng. He's better, much better.

DanG
07-02-2016, 11:42 AM

This x1000.

The signing makes sense if Deng plays the 3. Nance&Randle are both promising young players at the 4,

Crackadalic
07-02-2016, 11:46 AM
I like the player and the contract isn't a huge concern. What I don't get is why they are signing Deng

There not making the playoffs so why not gave Ingram start or play more minutes to get better?

Tony_Starks
07-02-2016, 11:48 AM
I will say this even though I don't like the amount I think he is a great fit. Can play either 3 or stretch 4, start or be the sixth man, and best of a great veteran presence for the kids.

Not mad at the signing at all, still need to see more tho...

Tony_Starks
07-02-2016, 11:50 AM
I like the player and the contract isn't a huge concern. What I don't get is why they are signing Deng

There not making the playoffs so why not gave Ingram start or play more minutes to get better?

Ingram can still start and probably will. But imagine how much stuff he is going to learn going up against Deng in practice everyday. Especially on the defensive end.

Sadds The Gr8
07-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Good signing, bad amount.

*Side note: anybody that criticized Kobe for taking the money, under the guise that he should've left money on the table so they could sign talent, please take the time now to eat crow.

Buss would've probably given max contracts to Kirk Heinrich and Hakeem Warrick!
this. He's worth the $$$ per year but too many years. Would be way better if it was 2 yrs.

Giannis94
07-02-2016, 11:54 AM

Based on LOL's recent moves, they would.

jerellh528
07-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Ingram can still start and probably will. But imagine how much stuff he is going to learn going up against Deng in practice everyday. Especially on the defensive end.

Ingram will start. Hopefully deng coming off the bench will increase his effeciency and defensive intensity due to less mins, kind of similar to how iggy is so effective in the role he plays. I just hate the idea of paying old guys a lot of money on long contracts because you never know if they'll just not even try as hard anymore. I don't think deng is one of those type tho

theducksmuggler
07-02-2016, 12:10 PM
What's the terms on the pick owed to Philly?

Top 3 protected in 2017 Unprotected in 2018

shep33
07-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Bringing Randle off the bench makes more sense. Spacing sucks with him out there. Deng will start. Randle will get more touches off the bench anyways. I'm just saying also, Randle is the odd man out if we ever wanted to move one of our young talented players

Dade County
07-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Bringing Randle off the bench makes more sense. Spacing sucks with him out there. Deng will start. Randle will get more touches off the bench anyways. I'm just saying also, Randle is the odd man out if we ever wanted to move one of our young talented players

Can Randle play the 5, vs another small ball team?

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 12:27 PM

If we have a starting lineup of 30, 22, 19, 23, and 20 year olds, it wont matter how much cap space they have next year. No one will sign here. That team would contend for another top pick. And because we are in a unique situation that i don't think has ever happened before, championship ready teams are gaining $40m in cap space over two years. Big free agents now want to go to ready made teams.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Deng cant play the 3 anymore? I would rather have Mozgov, Randle, Deng, Ingram, and Russell with Clarkson at his better position as back up point and play some 2 guard.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 12:33 PM
The scary thing is, they still have $23m to spend this summer. I cant wait for the Brandon Bass 4 year $80m contract announcement.

KobeOwnSU
07-02-2016, 12:36 PM
New death line up:
Russell
Clarkson
Ingram
Deng
Randle

It's the mini-warriors haha

S & B Bleeder
07-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Deng is still a VERY good player. He brings alot to the table skillwise and leadership wise. The only knock against him is his age, but he just turned 30 a few months ago and is a workout warrior who keeps himself in top shape.

I like this signing. Alot. I just HATE how many years we signed him for, and the amount of money being thrown at him.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 12:45 PM
New death line up:
Russell
Clarkson
Ingram
Deng
Randle

It's the mini-warriors haha

And by mini you mean like honey I shrunk the kids type mini right? :)

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Deng is still a VERY good player. He brings alot to the table skillwise and leadership wise. The only knock against him is his age, but he just turned 30 a few months ago and is a workout warrior who keeps himself in top shape.

I like this signing. Alot. I just HATE how many years we signed him for, and the amount of money being thrown at him.

Just like they did with Jordan Hill, you can only hope they put in early opt outs. We wont know until contracts are signed and made public.

shep33
07-02-2016, 12:47 PM

They need vets and to establish a winning environment. The players we have are so damn young. Bunch of guys who should still be in college. Hell Ingram is only 18. I don't think we will get a top tier free agent for another 2-3 years once Ingram and Russell are top 10 players at their position. No established vet wants to play with 19 year olds with potential, so I get what the Lakers are doing with this signing.

greg_ory_2005
07-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Shouldn't the Lakers be rebuilding, not overpaying for guys like Deng and Mos

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Shouldn't the Lakers be rebuilding, not overpaying for guys like Deng and Mos

They are. They have 4 guys that they really like at ages 23, 22, 20, and 18.. Another 3 players aged 23, 21, and 18 on top of that. How many young guys does a team need? You cant let kids run the asylum.

Dade County
07-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Deng cant play the 3 anymore? I would rather have Mozgov, Randle, Deng, Ingram, and Russell with Clarkson at his better position as back up point and play some 2 guard.

No.

You do not want Deng at the 3, he loses his value on the court. As a starting 4, or a back up 3 or 4, thats his best value. Trust me.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 01:45 PM
No.

You do not want Deng at the 3, he loses his value on the court. As a starting 4, or a back up 3 or 4, thats his best value. Trust me.

You would know better than I. Well then I don't like this signing as much haha. Is he too slow now? Ill be honest, I didn't watch him much last year

Aust
07-02-2016, 01:59 PM
It's a good signing once you actually look into it. Same with the Moz signing IMO. I don't like the money average or the length in this one either, but it is what it is. Maybe there is a team option/non-guaranteed year at the end.

hugepatsfan
07-02-2016, 02:52 PM

Lol at this sentence. So contradictory. If you hate how long he was signed for and how much money he got then you don't like the signing. You like the player but hate the signing.

kobe4thewinbang
07-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Deng been a quality player his whole career, still is, especially back in Chicago. Funny that now Kobe is retired, when those Bulls trade rumors happened, Kobe kept saying he wouldn't agree to a trade if it meant Deng was involved.

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=Deng_Bryant

So, Kobe probably likes the move. Albeit a bit late, but I see no reason why Deng can't go another 4 years and still contribute, hit a shot and play D.

KnickNyKnick
07-02-2016, 06:17 PM
The LoL Lakers

nycericanguy
07-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Meanwhile Afflalo gets 2/25m... same type of player, Afflalo was arguably better last year and doesn't have nearly as many miles on him.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 06:31 PM
The LoL Lakers

You're a Knicks fan.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Meanwhile Afflalo gets 2/25m... same type of player, Afflalo was arguably better last year and doesn't have nearly as many miles on him.

Meanwhile Clarkson only got $12.5 for 4 years and he was better than both of them. Better than Rose, better than Noah. better than any other guy you guys are about to waste money on.

And I know you didn't even bother to fact check so here....

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2016&p1=denglu01&y2=2016&p2=afflaar01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Deng was better in every category other than 3pt shooting. Whether it be box score or advanced stats. Whether you prefer offense or defense. However you like to judge a player. And by a lot.

Aust
07-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Timofey Mozgov and Luol Deng are more than just their contract numbers

Timofey Mozgovís four-year, $64 million contract with the Lakers, agreed to in the opening hours of free agency, was the canary in the coal mine. If a guy who had fallen out of a rotation and played a grand total of 76 minutes in the playoffs could get that much money, anything was possible in the NBAís brave new financial world. A day later, the Lakers agreed to terms on a four-year, $72 million contract with 31-year old forward Luol Deng. Itís a lot of money for two players out of step with the timetable of the teamís young core, and it locks them out of the hunt for premium free agents. So, what were they thinking?

In a normal market, Mozgov would have been an intriguing buy-low candidate, a player looking to rebuild his value on a short-term deal. Instead, the Lakers locked him up at the first opportunity, committing huge money to a guy who couldnít even get on the floor for the Cavs.

Of course, just because a player is a benchwarmer for the NBA champions doesnít mean he canít help one of the worst teams in the league. The Cavs had given max contracts to Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love, and LeBron James was at his most effective playing power forward, so there just werenít many minutes available for Mozgov, especially after Cleveland traded for Channing Frye at last seasonís deadline. Even if Mozgov was at 100 percent, he was always going to be a victim of a numbers crunch in a crowded frontcourt in Cleveland. He wasnít close to full capacity, which made his fade to the end of the bench all the more justifiable.

Mozgov never really recovered from an offseason knee injury, as he reportedly rushed himself back too soon at the start of the season. He wasnít the most mobile big man to begin with, so asking him to chase around smaller and more agile players on one knee was a recipe for disaster. While his per-game statistics remained steady, his advanced stats collapsed. Mozgov had an RPM of minus-4.24, second to last among NBA centers, ahead of only Jahlil Okafor and one spot behind last seasonís Lakers starter, Roy Hibbert. The only way Mozgovís contract makes any sense is if the Lakers believe this season was an aberration and he can be the player he was two years ago.

In 46 games with the Cavs in 2014Ė15, Mozgov had per-36-minute averages of 15.2 points, 10.0 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, and 1.2 assists on 59 percent shooting. He was even better in the playoffs, when injuries to Love and Kyrie Irving changed Clevelandís identity and gave him a bigger role on both sides of the ball. The Cavs played like a defensive powerhouse with Mozgov, holding opponents to 96.4 points per 100 possessions when he was on the floor, compared to 104.8 when he was off. He had some great moments on offense as well, highlighted by a 28-point and 10-rebound game in Game 4 of the NBA Finals.

The Warriors eventually played him off the floor by going small with the Lineup of Death, but a big man with his skill set still offers plenty of value in the regular season. At 7-foot-1, 275 pounds, Mozgov is a rim-protecting Leviathan who can clean the defensive boards and also step out and knock down midrange jumpers. An excellent pick-and-roll finisher, he can make plays on the move and finish in the lane, as he demonstrated this past season, scoring 1.2 points per possession (in the leagueís 88th percentile) on rolls to the rim this past season. He probably wonít be as effective without LeBron, but he should still offer more value in that role than Hibbert, who had a PPP of 0.93 on those plays last season.

Thatís important, because DíAngelo Russell is at his best in a spread pick-and-roll system similar to the one he ran at Ohio State. Russell is not an elite athlete, so heíll never be a great isolation scorer, but heís a well-rounded offensive player who can shoot, dribble, and pass on the move, and he knows how to manipulate a defense. To get the most out of Russell, the Lakers needed a big man who can set bone-crunching picks on the perimeter, roll to the rim hard, and be a vertical threat.

Mozgov is an easy fit with the rest of the Lakersí young core. Heís not the passer that Andrew Bogut is, but he could operate in a similar role in the scheme that Warriors assistant Luke Walton will likely install in Los Angeles. Mozgov will be a roll man for Russell and Clarkson, a screener for Brandon Ingram, and a frontcourt partner for Julius Randle. He will help on defense as well, as itís hard to build good defensive habits when you arenít playing in front of a good rim protector. Off the court, he is a beloved locker-room presence, who should be able to help Walton create a positive culture in the aftermath of Byron Scottís disastrous tenure with the team.

Deng is viewed similarly around the league. Heís a respected player in the NBA, a humanitarian and a professional who puts his body on the line for his team. Deng and Mozgov are veteran influences the Lakers could use in place of players like Nick Young. They will help the team win games, but the tone they set in practice and in the locker room might be more important.

On the court, Deng provides a stabilizing influence at the 3 and 4 positions, although he is probably best used as a small-ball 4 going forward. While heís no longer the player he was in his prime, heís not going to make a lot of mental mistakes, and he can handle the tough defensive assignments that neither Randle nor Ingram can at this stage in their careers. There should be more than enough playing time for their forward rotation to coexist over the course of the season.

It doesnít matter all that much if Mozgov and Deng are overpaid, because the Lakers didnít have many other places to spend their money. They couldnít even get a meeting with Kevin Durant. The best players in the NBA do not want to play for bad teams, no matter what market they play in or how much history they have. The Lakers have nothing to sell to guys who want to compete for a championship, as they found out last year in their meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge, which made them a punch line around the league.

Even if they rolled over their cap space to the summer of 2017, when there should be even more elite players on the market, thereís no reason to think they will have a chance at any of them. The Lakers would have the space for two max contracts, but why would veterans in their prime want to play with such a young team? Clarkson is 24, Randle is 21, Russell is 20, and Ingram is 18. Stars want to play with other stars in their prime, not guys who could be stars down the road. The Lakers arenít the Miami Heat of 2010, and the sooner they recognized that, the better off they were going to be.

Thereís a very good chance that the contracts for Deng and Mozgov, who are both on the wrong side of 30, become weights around the Lakersí necks three years from now. But they have the capacity to absorb the money now because all of their best players are still on rookie deals. Should everything go according to plan and the Lakers become the contender they hope to be, theyíll be able to move either player in the final season by attaching picks to them. If history has shown us anything, it is that there are no untradable contracts.

The Lakersí free-agency haul thus far signifies a new stage of the franchise rebuild; they donít want any more high lottery picks. They have a young core in place and they are committed to developing them. Deng and Mozgov arenít stealth tanking signings like Carlos Boozer; this team is built with competitiveness in mind.

There is no quick fix in L.A. To become a viable free-agent destination, the Lakers need Russell, Ingram, Clarkson, and Randle to become stars. If those guys can live up to their potential, their future is bright. In the meantime, the only thing the Lakers can do is acquire players who can put those guys in the best position to succeed. Thatís the only way to judge the Mozgov and Deng deals, not by how it affects their salary cap.

https://theringer.com/lakers-sign-timofey-mozgov-luol-deng-2016-nba-free-agency-59da626f5a4e#.9jhx45wcg

Sssmush
07-02-2016, 07:08 PM

I think it will look/be good to have a twin towers pair of Russian centers in Mozgov and Zubac. Or "Mozpack" if you will.

Deng is a solid workhorse with multiple All-Star chops. And likely profiles as a player who will stay healthy and on the court and still be excellent at 34. Still be a coveted free agent at 34. And a guy who might just be coming into his renaissance and finding himself as a defensive beast and flowing within the Luken State offense.
Bam.

As for the plan... there is still like $16m on the table, and a big deal involving Julius Randle could still be in the works. I would hope that if that happens it is for a couple young rookie/2nd year players, but it could be for a splashier type guy.

But yeah, now the Lakers have a pair of quality centers who are very suited for the "new NBA" paradigm and can do the right things. At least potentially.

They have a very solid young point guard in Russell, actually with superstar potential.

They have a very outstanding young 2/3 wing player in Ingram, also with legit superstar potential.

Then you've got depth at the wing with Clarkson, who is also depth at PG. Adding Deng to that mix makes it borderline powerhouse potential, in that you can play 8 deep and mix up the lineups pretty good.

Randle might be excellent in Luke's scheme, but getting a more defensive/vertical PF and a backup point guard and/or 3D guy might make them better.

It is somewhat contingent on whether Randle is a guy who can have a real big improvement and start dominating like he did at HS and Kentucky when he was projected as the consensus #1 pick.

I like the options here, and Luke is probably pretty happy with how this is coming together. And they have definite flexibility.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Hate the Mos deal but I like this deal... He will help ingram grow.

Sssmush
07-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Hate the Mos deal but I like this deal... He will help ingram grow.

That's reasonable. But I think we may be pleasantly surprised by Mozgov. And the pair of Russian centers will be a huge addition to what has been an empty spit on the Lakers for years.

Sssmush
07-02-2016, 11:15 PM
We will just have to put up with several rounds of Stephen A smack talk before the team has a chance to prove anything, combined with the usual backstabbing recriminations and leaked media reports from Magic and Phil (who wants chaos here so he can get the job). Hopefully our FO can survive this and Jeannie matures beyond wanting to abdicate to her boyfriend.f

chjuj
07-03-2016, 12:13 AM
Also signing Deng automatically puts one of their young players on the bench Ingram or Randle will be on the bench and they may cause some issueshttp://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/6.gif
http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/4.gif http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/26.gif

shyhj
07-03-2016, 11:31 PM
Good for Deng, as long as they play him at the 4, Laker fans will be happy.http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/27.gifhttp://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/6.gif
http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/4.gif