PDA

View Full Version : LeBron: Is he worth $100 million dollars per season?

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Saw this on ESPN. Curious to what you guys think.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 12:19 AM
I think he is worth 50 mill per but not 100.

lakerfan85
07-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Say what? None of these guys are worth anywhere near what these idiot teams are offering them..

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 12:24 AM
Here is what ESPN is arguing:

He most likely leads more than half the teams to the Finals. (Certainly in most EC teams)
Cleveland Cavailers was worth $520 million in 2014. Worth $1.1 billion today.

When you think about it, a team has to shell out about $100 million for players anyways. What's another $50 million for a player who assures you practically an appearance to the Finals? These NBA players who are scrubs or borderline All-Stars should be thanking LeBron and guys like Curry, too. They are largely responsible as to why these TV deals are insane and allowing for crazy contracts.

aman_13
07-02-2016, 12:25 AM
I think he is worth 50 mill per but not 100.

We are so headed to another lockout lol.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 12:32 AM
I understand what espn is saying and its not crazy... He instantly makes any team a playoff team and several medicore teams actual contenders and contenders finals favorites.... 100 million for what he brings to the table as a skill set and how he brings out the best in all other players and how popular he is... Probably but id never go above 50 million a season for anyone nomatter how great they are.

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 12:34 AM
I understand what espn is saying and its not crazy... He instantly makes any team a playoff team and several medicore teams actual contenders and contenders finals favorites.... 100 million for what he brings to the table as a skill set and how he brings out the best in all other players and how popular he is... Probably but id never go above 50 million a season for anyone nomatter how great they are.

You're not looking at the bigger picture. This dude guarantees you'll make more than $100 million. Deep playoff runs, instant arena sellouts, merchandise, tv viewership. Teams are shelling out $100 million already. $50 million more for an instant Finals appearance and opportunity to take your franchise to a championship is enormous. Just look at Cleveland's parade. 1.3 million people there. His impact reaches far beyond basketball, IMO.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 12:35 AM

maybe but maybe not... NBA is on the rise... Not a steady slow rise but a rocketing upward rise ... They will never catch football here in the USA but the money is deserved because of how popular its becoming... The NBA is the highest it has been and its without the Lakers/Knicks being relevent... Think about that... Then add in the celtics whom have a massive following and are flying under the radar and the sixers who have a massive following and suck.... the future is extremely bright for basketball esp if Simmons/Ingram work out and the knicks finally become relevent. This doesnt even factor in other extremely popular teams or players that are also either on the rise or not relevant that might be sooner than later.

TheMightyHumph
07-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Yes, he is worth $100 mil a year from an NBA team.

But he seems to be making some dollars in other venues due to his fame.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 12:38 AM
You're not looking at the bigger picture. This dude guarantees you'll make more than $100 million. Deep playoff runs, instant arena sellouts, merchandise, tv viewership. Teams are shelling out $100 million already. $50 million more for an instant Finals appearance and opportunity to take your franchise to a championship is enormous. Just look at Cleveland's parade. 1.3 million people there. His impact reaches far beyond basketball, IMO.

No i see the bigger picture and I wouldnt mind it if lebron would take constant 1 year deals but nomatter how great he is father time is better and once he hits that wall his contract will quickly cost the franchise maybe as much as they have made in the years before because youd always be well over the luxury tax trying to build around him if this were the case.

Scoots
07-02-2016, 12:38 AM
Yes. If there were no teams and the league was paying the players he would be a top employee of a hundred-billion dollar corporation. David Simon of Simon Property Group made around $140M ... so paying LeBron $100M in that context is not outrageous.

TheMightyHumph
07-02-2016, 12:39 AM

We could be looking at another strike, as ridiculous as it sounds.

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 12:40 AM
No i see the bigger picture and I wouldnt mind it if lebron would take constant 1 year deals but nomatter how great he is father time is better and once he hits that wall his contract will quickly cost the franchise maybe as much as they have made in the years before because youd always be well over the luxury tax trying to build around him if this were the case.

Hard to say you are seeing the bigger picture when he makes you more money than you are paying him.. but if that's what you see, glad you aren't investing in stocks! (At least I hope not)!

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 01:01 AM
Hard to say you are seeing the bigger picture when he makes you more money than you are paying him.. but if that's what you see, glad you aren't investing in stocks! (At least I hope not)!

Again you seem to read but not comprehend or understand as usual... This has become a bad habit for you lately. He makes more money I get that... so lets say he gets 100 million a season... how many seasons would you give him? 4? so 4 years 400 million dollars.... As soon as he hits the decline that drastically drops off... Now lets factor in how far above the luxury cap youd have to go to build around this 100 million dollar player while meeting his demands of a big 3 around him and a deep ****ing bench..... In the end this is a recipe for disaster for any organization and owner to lose far more than he makes them.

Do not speak about stocks when you cant even do the simple math this seems to take.

THIS DOESNT EVEN FACTOR IN IF HE GETS INJURED BUT I GUESS THAT DOESNT HAPPEN TO A 31 YEAR OLD MASSIVE PLAYER WHO HAS BEEN PLAYING BASKETBALL FOR 25 YEARS OF HIS 31 YEAR LIFE AND PROBABLY HAS 15 NBA YEARS ON HIM. Lets not use this logic though because it doesnt fit your overall agenda... When it comes to the risk involved he is in no way worth 100 million dollars a season UNLESS ITS 1 YEAR DEALS.

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 01:07 AM
Again you seem to read but not comprehend or understand as usual... This has become a bad habit for you lately. He makes more money I get that... so lets say he gets 100 million a season... how many seasons would you give him? 4? so 4 years 400 million dollars.... As soon as he hits the decline that drastically drops off... Now lets factor in how far above the luxury cap youd have to go to build around this 100 million dollar player while meeting his demands of a big 3 around him and a deep ****ing bench..... In the end this is a recipe for disaster for any organization and owner to lose far more than he makes them.

Do not speak about stocks when you cant even do the simple math this seems to take.

THIS DOESNT EVEN FACTOR IN IF HE GETS INJURED BUT I GUESS THAT DOESNT HAPPEN TO A 31 YEAR OLD MASSIVE PLAYER WHO HAS BEEN PLAYING BASKETBALL FOR 25 YEARS OF HIS 31 YEAR LIFE AND PROBABLY HAS 15 NBA YEARS ON HIM. Lets not use this logic though because it doesnt fit your overall agenda... When it comes to the risk involved he is in no way worth 100 million dollars a season UNLESS ITS 1 YEAR DEALS.

Uhh, no one ever said anything about future seasons.. I'm clearly talking present tense. Why would I even be asking this for when he's 39 years old? I might as well make a "Is Jordan worth $100 million?" thread instead... Presently, is he worth $100 million.. even up to age 36, he probably is still worth that much.

And as if it isn't already implied, this would involve no salary cap... but I'm going to assume you at least knew that much.. right?

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 01:16 AM
Uhh, no one ever said anything about future seasons.. I'm clearly talking present tense. Why would I even be asking this for when he's 39 years old? I might as well make a "Is Jordan worth $100 million?" thread instead... Presently, is he worth $100 million.. even up to age 36, he probably is still worth that much.

And as if it isn't already implied, this would involve no salary cap... but I'm going to assume you at least knew that much.. right?

So now there is no salary cap? Also I am not saying 39 years old... I am saying it would be ******** RIGHT NOW to give him 100 million dollars a year UNLESS ITS CONSTANT 1 YEAR DEALS because if he gets hurt or declines nomatter how much he brings in they instantly lose all the money they gained off of him plus more because of the current luxury tax cap.

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 01:21 AM
So now there is no salary cap? Also I am not saying 39 years old... I am saying it would be ******** RIGHT NOW to give him 100 million dollars a year UNLESS ITS CONSTANT 1 YEAR DEALS because if he gets hurt or declines nomatter how much he brings in they instantly lose all the money they gained off of him plus more because of the current luxury tax cap.

Well he wouldn't be able to get a $100 million per season if there was a salary cap so how would that even make sense.. MLB doesn't have a salary cap I believe so let's not involve that and say on a strictly economic output, if he's worth $100 million. Plus, I think it's pretty self explanatory that this won't be a long-term contract or else I would have put $500 million/5 years or something.

LA_Raiders
07-02-2016, 01:22 AM
Lol, that's too much for a flop artist

More-Than-Most
07-02-2016, 01:22 AM
i think there will always be a luxury tax though. That is more what I am looking at... Basically go over whatever you want but pay back if you go over kind of thing.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-02-2016, 02:14 AM
Financially? Probably. He's a product and he generates money. He's like the Coke formula for Coca Cola. It's what drives the company's sales.

naps
07-02-2016, 02:44 AM
Absolutely. Anyone who understands finance and accounting will know he is worth more than $100 mill a year.

prodigy
07-02-2016, 04:20 AM
nobody is not even close. That's a freakin joke. Athletes are completely overpaid now to play a sport lol. I'm not saying owners should pocket that revenue clearly the money has to go somewhere. Would be pretty cool to invest in communities and charities with more money then paying guys 20+ mill to play a kids game. Its getting sick and stupid.

zookman65
07-02-2016, 06:42 AM
Say what? None of these guys are worth anywhere near what these idiot teams are offering them..

Obviously they are or the owners wouldn't pay them. Worth in our economy is based on what someone is willing to pay you. Obviously the teams are worth billions and revenues are in the hundreds of millions per year per team so why do you care if these "idiot teams" pay players with one in a million talent that people are willing to pay to see?

bledrules
07-02-2016, 08:34 AM
nobody is not even close. That's a freakin joke. Athletes are completely overpaid now to play a sport lol. I'm not saying owners should pocket that revenue clearly the money has to go somewhere. Would be pretty cool to invest in communities and charities with more money then paying guys 20+ mill to play a kids game. Its getting sick and stupid.
Very well said my thoughts exactly

IndyRealist
07-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Not as long as there's a salary cap.

DboneG
07-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Absolutely. Anyone who understands finance and accounting will know he is worth more than $100 mill a year.

Exactly.

DboneG
07-02-2016, 09:22 AM
One thing we have to understand is if the owners can dish out this type of money, they are making far more than we really think. Far more. That's the reason why Steve Ballmer bought, over payed for the LA Clippers a few years back.(Heard he cried during the Durant meeting) lol, Why Obama wants to be an NBA owner now. And why Dan Gilbert had a fit when LeBron left the Cavs for the Heat. The amount of revenue he brings in for the city of Cleveland and related companies is in the billions.

LeBron: Is he worth 100 million per season? Yes. More!

Last: We can't compare LeBron's job to an ordinary job like a teacher, electrician, or nurse and say he makes too much money. LeBron is in the entertainment business. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The cost structure is all the way different.

Confusious
07-02-2016, 12:48 PM
It's not like any of you are paying the price. You gotta do what you gotta do to keep LeBron.

Vee-Rex
07-02-2016, 01:41 PM
MTM and Flash need to get divorced.

Technically speaking, yes he is worth 100 million. Unfortunately, businesses don't pay their employees or staff or their players their true value.

Everything is top-heavy and that's capitalism for you. In the "scope" of the NBA (ignoring true value here) I'd say Bron is worth 40-50 million per year.

Scoots
07-02-2016, 02:37 PM

Do you have pay tv? Do you go to games? Do you buy NBA merch? Do you watch games on TV? If you say yes to any of those things then you are paying into the corporation that is the NBA and the corporation is making a HUGE amount of money. LeBron is a top employee ... Let's say for the sake of round numbers that the NBA is a corporation with 10000 employees that's worth $100B ... simple math says that you are going to have some employees paid a HUGE amount of money, some of the owners are already paid more than $100M so why not the best players?

Is it because they are not critical to society? Adam Sandler averages $80M per movie. I don't blame Sandler, he's making a product the public seems to want. LeBron is making a product the public want and not getting paid what he's worth to the bottom line.

Think about Jordan's last contract with the Bulls ... he made $30M in a year 20 years ago. The league is making more than 3 times as much and inflation has reduced the buying power of the dollar but the top paid player is still getting $30M. That doesn't make sense.

As for athletes SHOULDN'T be payed so much, I agree, but they are should get paid for what they put into the system. I just think the system shouldn't be so rich. The only way to fix that is for people to stop buying merch, stop buying the games on TV, stop going to games. TV and movie money has been going down slowly and sports entertainment money is starting that way as well. The owners are going to push consumers to the breaking point eventually and there will be a collapse and an adjustment but it's going to be a while yet.

JasonJohnHorn
07-02-2016, 02:45 PM
The only player that I would say was worth that is Jordan, not because he was that good (LBJ is likely just as good a player), but because he was THAT much of a draw. You gotta remember... every game he played was pretty much sold out. Even if he was visiting a $#!tty Bucks team that was in the lottery, local fans paid to see Jordan.

The Bulls/Jordan made up over 60% of the leagues revenue for a few years, and his jersey STILL out sells a lot of current All-Stars.

Look at how much Nike still makes from him.

Are there guys worth 50 million? Likely James, Magic, Bird and Kobe (when adjusted for inflation), because they moved merchandise and pulled in ratings.

Don't get me wrong, if I were starting a team and could have any NBA player from the age of 22-35 I'd take Hakeem. I think dollar for dollar, you wouldn't get a better value on the court. But from a business perspective, which is what you got to think if you are dropping 100 million, it's pretty clear that only one basketball player has ever come close to be worth that.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Lebron isn't worth +$100 mil because of his basketball abilities. He's worth +$100 mil because of his economic value. Lebron is a product, just like the Coke recipe to Coca Cola or the KFC recipe to Yum! Brands. They get paid in terms of basketball abilities, but if he was compensated based on being a product (which they really should be), the money he brings to the NBA is astronomical.

kobe4thewinbang
07-02-2016, 04:32 PM
If Conley got 30 million per season, LeBron and Steph need at least 40 million. Next year the cap makes this one look like chump change apparently, so LeBron probably takes 35 million this year and then maybe 50 next year. He's worth more, but these guys are already rich and have shoe deals/etc plus they need other players too.

ManRam
07-02-2016, 04:44 PM
He's probably worth something absurd to Gilbert and the Cavs. Not sure what the number would be, but yeah. He means a lot.

Would he ever command that? Well, in this hypothetical world we'd have to assume no cap. But say you're a wealthy owner of a really good team...a team so good that adding LeBron probably puts you over the top. In an uncapped league I think you could possibly see a team offer something well over $50M for one year.

Steve Ballmer is worth over 20 billion dollars. You're telling me you don't think he would be willing to offer close to $100M for one year of LeBron? In LA? With THAT roster? I'm FFFFAAAAAARRRRRRR from knowledgeable about business, economics, marketing, whatever...but man, that would have to be really tempting.

prodigy
07-03-2016, 03:44 AM
Do you have pay tv? Do you go to games? Do you buy NBA merch? Do you watch games on TV? If you say yes to any of those things then you are paying into the corporation that is the NBA and the corporation is making a HUGE amount of money. LeBron is a top employee ... Let's say for the sake of round numbers that the NBA is a corporation with 10000 employees that's worth $100B ... simple math says that you are going to have some employees paid a HUGE amount of money, some of the owners are already paid more than $100M so why not the best players?

Is it because they are not critical to society? Adam Sandler averages $80M per movie. I don't blame Sandler, he's making a product the public seems to want. LeBron is making a product the public want and not getting paid what he's worth to the bottom line.

Think about Jordan's last contract with the Bulls ... he made $30M in a year 20 years ago. The league is making more than 3 times as much and inflation has reduced the buying power of the dollar but the top paid player is still getting $30M. That doesn't make sense.

As for athletes SHOULDN'T be payed so much, I agree, but they are should get paid for what they put into the system. I just think the system shouldn't be so rich. The only way to fix that is for people to stop buying merch, stop buying the games on TV, stop going to games. TV and movie money has been going down slowly and sports entertainment money is starting that way as well. The owners are going to push consumers to the breaking point eventually and there will be a collapse and an adjustment but it's going to be a while yet.

completely understand what you are saying. Its just horrible to see. So many hard working folks out there. Lebron included. But because he can but a round thing through another round thing he's worth over a Billion Dollars lol. That's freakin Nuts! I don't blame Athletes for taking every penny they can get. I think we all would. But Its Still tough to see when society has so many struggles and Cities need so much help.

prodigy
07-03-2016, 03:47 AM
Another thing. Its funny to me that players say they care so much about winning But then opt out of a max contract just to get a even higher max contract the next season lol.

zookman65
07-03-2016, 05:51 AM
completely understand what you are saying. Its just horrible to see. So many hard working folks out there. Lebron included. But because he can but a round thing through another round thing he's worth over a Billion Dollars lol. That's freakin Nuts! I don't blame Athletes for taking every penny they can get. I think we all would. But Its Still tough to see when society has so many struggles and Cities need so much help.

The hard working folks out there are the ones feeding into the NBA revenue monster. Nobody is forcing us to collectively go to games or watch on TV or consume other media outlets. Also a growing amount of revenues is coming form over seas. You are correct cities need help but revenues from sports are just a form of entertainment. You could say the same for movies - its a shame all the money (billions) people spend on movies when the cities need help.

zookman65
07-03-2016, 05:56 AM
Another thing. Its funny to me that players say they care so much about winning But then opt out of a max contract just to get a even higher max contract the next season lol.

Kind of analogous to you and me in the real world - a lot of people with a talent in demand (engineering, finance etc) will leave company A which by almost any measure is a superior company both in terms of profitability and/or product quality to go to company B which is inferior in most measures except company B offers you a lot more money and perks. Everyone including athletes tend to want the most money they can get until perhaps late in their career when having already made hundreds of millions and won a ring (Dirk, Timmy Duncan for example) take home town discounts to stay with their teams.

nycericanguy
07-03-2016, 09:58 AM
if there was no cap? yes absolutely... and probably substantially more.

Especially to a team like CLE, do you know how much money Lebron brings in to the city of CLE? I was actually thinking how crazy it is that he only makes $22m and how much money Gilbert makes off of him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was worth $250m per year to CLE.

If a small market team that is not even a title contender is willing to pay Conley $31m per year in a salary capped league, that should tell you how much Lebron is worth if there was no max and no cap.

Not just LBJ though, Curry is probably worth over $100m, so is Durant & WB... i'm sure many guys are.

Scoots
07-03-2016, 10:40 AM
The only player that I would say was worth that is Jordan, not because he was that good (LBJ is likely just as good a player), but because he was THAT much of a draw. You gotta remember... every game he played was pretty much sold out. Even if he was visiting a $#!tty Bucks team that was in the lottery, local fans paid to see Jordan.

The Bulls/Jordan made up over 60% of the leagues revenue for a few years, and his jersey STILL out sells a lot of current All-Stars.

Look at how much Nike still makes from him.

Are there guys worth 50 million? Likely James, Magic, Bird and Kobe (when adjusted for inflation), because they moved merchandise and pulled in ratings.

Don't get me wrong, if I were starting a team and could have any NBA player from the age of 22-35 I'd take Hakeem. I think dollar for dollar, you wouldn't get a better value on the court. But from a business perspective, which is what you got to think if you are dropping 100 million, it's pretty clear that only one basketball player has ever come close to be worth that.
I'd like to see some reference that Jordan was directly responsible for 60% of nba revenue. I don't believe it.

Jordan had a major impact on attendance leaguewide and he sold a lot of merch but it's not like the nba wasn't healthy before him.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Scoots
07-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Kind of analogous to you and me in the real world - a lot of people with a talent in demand (engineering, finance etc) will leave company A which by almost any measure is a superior company both in terms of profitability and/or product quality to go to company B which is inferior in most measures except company B offers you a lot more money and perks. Everyone including athletes tend to want the most money they can get until perhaps late in their career when having already made hundreds of millions and won a ring (Dirk, Timmy Duncan for example) take home town discounts to stay with their teams.
Like Steve Jobs taking $1 a year at Apple when he came back.

zookman65
07-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Like Steve Jobs taking $1 a year at Apple when he came back.

LOL - in that analogy it would be like Dirk already having an ownership share in the Mavs and then agreeing to the veteran minimum. Mr. Jobs traded his 1 dollar per year services for boat loads of equity which he parlayed into boatloads of equity as the single biggest share holder in Disney. Good times

ManRam
07-03-2016, 11:33 AM
The Cavs owe $54 million in luxury tax for last year. A price Gilbert surely is 150% fine with paying. I'm sure he'd be 150% fine with just paying that money right to LeBron instead.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Lebron is really more a product than an employee.

prodigy
07-04-2016, 02:21 AM
The hard working folks out there are the ones feeding into the NBA revenue monster. Nobody is forcing us to collectively go to games or watch on TV or consume other media outlets. Also a growing amount of revenues is coming form over seas. You are correct cities need help but revenues from sports are just a form of entertainment. You could say the same for movies - its a shame all the money (billions) people spend on movies when the cities need help.

Correct, But this is a sports forum which is why I brought up sports. I know none of it will change. Its just crazy the money these guys make.

prodigy
07-04-2016, 02:27 AM

I understand what you are saying, But it has nothing to do with what I said lol. I'm a Cavs fan. take LeBron for example. before winning the ship he talked about how much he wants to win for Cleveland. Lebron is almost a billionaire mind you. So if he truly wants to win do what tom Brady does or Tim Duncan. take pay cuts so the team can spend else where. I don't wanna hear he's been taking pay cuts for years lol. He's always be right around the max.

I just think its dumb you say how much u wanna win, then soak up half the teams cap. clearly not that bad lol.

zookman65
07-04-2016, 07:27 AM
I understand what you are saying, But it has nothing to do with what I said lol. I'm a Cavs fan. take LeBron for example. before winning the ship he talked about how much he wants to win for Cleveland. Lebron is almost a billionaire mind you. So if he truly wants to win do what tom Brady does or Tim Duncan. take pay cuts so the team can spend else where. I don't wanna hear he's been taking pay cuts for years lol. He's always be right around the max.

I just think its dumb you say how much u wanna win, then soak up half the teams cap. clearly not that bad lol.

Yes technically you are correct that if Lebron were to take the vet minimum or close like Dirk has done the past several years then the Cavs would have more room for other key pieces however another side of the argument could be Lebron knows his abilities and was so confident in his singular talent that there was no reason for him not to take the max and still be able to field the best team in the East.

The desire and will to win concept can also be applied to the owner as he can pay the luxury tax also. I think Brady is a great example of sacrificing for the team building process because of the absolute NFL cap but I can argue that Duncan and Dirk were being dumb and taking the onus off ownership to simply pay some tax which is tantamount to money out of their pocket straight into their owners pocket.

prodigy
07-05-2016, 03:26 AM
Then Lebron can ever bi*** to Gilbert that he needs a team around him. lol

TylerSL
07-05-2016, 04:40 AM
There has never been a player, nor will there (probably) ever be a player worth $100 million per season. It doesn't matter how much money LeBron makes for the NBA as a whole because, at the end of the day he is only payed by ONE team. So, the question is how much more money does he make the team that signed him. Miami's revenue went up by ~$30 million when we signed LeBron. We also signed Bosh that off-season, but even if you attribute it all to LeBron, along with the rise in the team's net worth, which really only matters if the team were going to be sold, you could justify an annual salary higher than $30 million. I wouldn't pay him much more than $40 million, maybe as much as $50 million.

zookman65
07-05-2016, 06:51 AM
In Cleveland an economist values Lebron's return to NE Ohio at a half billion in terms of economic impact to region not specifically benefit to team. I know this is a different argument but think it is interesting to think about with regard to the financial impact in the aggregate. IMO if the max salary concept were removed we would be able to see what the market place says Lebron's annual worth is. He would be by definition worth what the market determined e.g. 40, 50, 60 million per year when cap goes up??

http://time.com/2981583/lebron-james-cleveland-cavs-money/

Scoots
07-05-2016, 11:40 AM

To me the question "Is LeBron WORTH $100M?" the answer is an easy yes. But "SHOULD LeBron get $100M in a no-max but capped league?" ... no because it would hamstring the team and he would alsways be on bad teams and he would then become a footnote.

They are two very different questions.