PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies and Mike Conley agree to 5-year, $153M deal! WOW!!!!

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Most expensive contract in the history... Conley's agent deserves half of that... Totally overpaid.

JasonJohnHorn
07-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Over 30 million a year?

WTF? I love Conley... but man... that is not worth it.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Over 30 million a year?

WTF? I love Conley... but man... that is not worth it.

You have to wonder how much they will be regretting this down the line... That's just insane. Wasn't everyone complaining about Kobe's $30 million? Jesus...

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:04 PM
With Parsons too, Grizzlies are trying to win now. Should think about getting Pau Gasol down there.

goingfor28
07-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Looool

HandsOnTheWheel
07-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Lmaooooooo

KobeOwnSU
07-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Conley got Mozgoffed

beasted86
07-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Wait ✋, and Dragić was overpaid? ¿Qué?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Crackadalic
07-01-2016, 07:12 PM
And next year that contract will get surpass by 10 players lol

#newwavenba

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Wait ✋, and Dragić was overpaid? ¿Qué?

Everyone who signed a contract before this season is looking UNDERPAID.. it's that crazy. LeBron is a genius for waiting with one year options.

hugepatsfan
07-01-2016, 07:16 PM
MEM could go either way. They have great pieces that compliment each other on paper but they have age and injury histories to worry about.

Dade County
07-01-2016, 07:17 PM
These owners can not cry for a lockout... Never!

DanG
07-01-2016, 07:23 PM
This is sum next level mozgov ****.

Lakers + Giants
07-01-2016, 07:25 PM
BREAKING NEWS:

Kobe has decided to return for 1 final contract after seeing what other players are getting paid.

Lakers have interest, preliminary talks starting at 40 M per year. Reported by Woj.

KingJudah
07-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Most expensive contract in the history... Conley's agent deserves half of that... Totally overpaid.

I think imma have my son switch sports, from football to basketball because the money these players are getting now in the nba is crazy. Conley is a great player though and worked hard on his craft to become great because at ohio state he was just a quick guard who couldn't shoot AT ALL, he can now shoot so it has opened up his game as a player. He deserved this cash for putting in the work but it's time to get back in the playoffs and win.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:28 PM
I think imma have my son switch sports, from football to basketball because the money these players are getting now in the nba is crazy. Conley is a great player though and worked hard on his craft to become great because at ohio state he was just a quick guard who couldn't shoot AT ALL, he can now shoot so it has opened up his game as a player. He deserved this cash for putting in the work but it's time to get back in the playoffs and win.

No one deserves $30 million unless they are a top ten player. Conley isn't even top 25. This is overpaid. I love the dude's hustle but man, that's crazy..

aman_13
07-01-2016, 07:28 PM
Just imagine what Durant is going to get.

lamzoka
07-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Richest contract in NBA history.

Now lets take a look at his career achievement

2006 McDonald All American
2012-13 NBA All-Defensive 2nd Team

greg_ory_2005
07-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Lmfaoo why why why

KingJudah
07-01-2016, 07:32 PM
No one deserves $30 million unless they are a top ten player. Conley isn't even top 25. This is overpaid. I love the dude's hustle but man, that's crazy..

I'd say he's top 30 or maybe even 25' dudes one of the best PGs in the NBA

DanG
07-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Conley almost makes 3x more money per year than Steph Curry.

tredigs
07-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Can't say I'm that surprised. The 1st and 2nd tier FA's will be commanding max deals, and that is whT this is. I see no comparison to Kobe's contract ot Mozgov's, etc. Conley is an excellent PG who will help his team win. It's a lot of course, but multiple teams would have paid it, and that is the new NBA.

KingJudah
07-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Just means curry shoulda waited before signing his new deal, like a series of 1-2 year deals.

tredigs
07-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Conley almost makes 3x more money per year than Steph Curry.

Curry is getting roughly 35 mill/year after next summer himself.

More-Than-Most
This is as bad as the mosgod deal... Of all the deals today we finally found one just as bad or worse... He is a medicore player making 30 million a year.

DboneG
If the owners are able to throw this kind of money out there...it just says they are making CRAZY money.

Television rights... like the Bulls WGN
Government money....to build stadiums. You think they use their money?!
Ticket prices
Concessions
Cable TV
Advertising
Logo's

I may have missed some...but, the owners are the ones laughing. That guy just accepted peanuts! You know how much money we're gonna make off these fools?! ha ha ha ha

tredigs
07-01-2016, 07:39 PM
This is as bad as the mosgod deal... Of all the deals today we finally found one just as bad or worse... He is a bad player making 30 million a year.

Bad player? Lmao. One of the best, smartest PG's and all around floor generals in the world.

DboneG
07-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Lockout coming soon.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Bad player? Lmao. One of the best, smartest PG's and all around floor generals in the world.

i edited to medicore... i hate him as a player. Id rather have a Curry/cp3 type PG over him. I dont like him as a shooter/finisher and what exactly makes him the smartest or even one of the smartest? He is really really overrated

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Curry is getting roughly 35 mill/year after next summer himself.

And he deserves it. If anyone here is getting underpaid, it's him. Must have been biting himself over that contract he signed even though it was a safety.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 07:44 PM
And he deserves it. If anyone here is getting underpaid, it's him. Must have been biting himself over that contract he signed even though it was a safety.

yup

xnick5757
07-01-2016, 07:44 PM
contract, as percent of cap:

Conley new deal: 32.6%
15 love: 31.4%
15 deandre: 31%
15 lopez: 30%
15 wade: 28.5%
15 matthews: 25%
15 kanter: 25%

important to consider these deals as a percent of cap, not pure #s

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:45 PM
contract, as percent of cap:

Conley new deal: 32.6%
15 love: 31.4%
15 lopez: 30%

important to consider these deals as a percent of cap, not pure #s

Yup, but still, that doesn't help the cause that he's getting paid that much.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 07:46 PM
i really really do not like conley.

flea
07-01-2016, 07:47 PM
i edited to medicore... i hate him as a player. Id rather have a Curry/cp3 type PG over him. I dont like him as a shooter/finisher and what exactly makes him the smartest or even one of the smartest? He is really really overrated

Uh I think most people would rather have one of the 3 best guards in the game. That says nothing about Conley, who is a fine player. He's underrated by casual fans like you because he's so good at every facet of the game - shooting, finishing, defense, passing, playmaking, and IQ.

He's not astounding at any one of those things but he's sacrificed some of his raw stats by playing in a post offense where he is often expected to make entry passes (much less often rewarded with assists than kickouts) and take guarded late clock jumpers. He's basically Chauncey Billups without the size, and maybe not quite as high of an IQ. I'd take him on my team any day.

Deal makes sense for Griz, you roll with your guys. The good thing for them is Parsons, Gasol, and Conley all have old man games. They will be a rugged veteran team who can possibly compete in the next few years (depending on their cast, none of them are superstars). I think they do have the groundwork for a great 2-way team.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:49 PM
The only reason it makes sense for the Grizz is because they have issues signing big free agents. He's not worth that.

greg_ory_2005
07-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Conley is solid but not spectacular. Never been an all star or all nba player, and most likely never will be. I don't get how that equals 150+ million. He's not a star at all. If it was like 24 mil at most, I might understand. But not the 30 he's gonna get. I always looked at Conley as overrated.

lakerfan85
07-01-2016, 07:50 PM
All these guys are way overpaid!!

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Uh I think most people would rather have one of the 3 best guards in the game. That says nothing about Conley, who is a fine player. He's underrated by casual fans like you because he's so good at every facet of the game - shooting, finishing, defense, passing, playmaking, and IQ.

He's not astounding at any one of those things but he's sacrificed some of his raw stats by playing in a post offense where he is often expected to make entry passes (much less often rewarded with assists than kickouts) and take guarded late clock jumpers. He's basically Chauncey Billups without the size, and maybe not quite as high of an IQ. I'd take him on my team any day.

Deal makes sense for Griz, you roll with your guys. The good thing for them is Parsons, Gasol, and Conley all have old man games. They will be a rugged veteran team who can possibly compete in the next few years (depending on their cast, none of them are superstars). I think they do have the groundwork for a great 2-way team.

I think its more of the system that is in place and the pieces around him... He is a really really safe player and never makes the great risky pass but instead always settles for the good safe pass and that limits his mistakes but on the offensive end is more replaceable because of the system.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 07:55 PM
lol playing in a great system and being the safest player ever makes you the smartest floor general :rolleyes:

DboneG
07-01-2016, 07:55 PM
All these guys are way overpaid!!

There's no such thing as being overpaid. You are worth what someone is willing to pay.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 07:57 PM
he is basically the alex smith of basketball

zn23
07-01-2016, 07:57 PM
That's what you call robbin the bank

DboneG
07-01-2016, 07:58 PM
The only reason it makes sense for the Grizz is because they have issues signing big free agents. He's not worth that.

He's worth what the employer is willing to pay. So, he's worth every penny!

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 07:58 PM
There's no such thing as being overpaid. You are worth what someone is willing to pay.

this logic is terrible. Just because one team is dumb enough to over pay doesnt mean that its priced right because they were dumb enough to do it... So if mosgod got a conley deal he isnt overpaid? gtfo

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 08:00 PM
He's worth what the employer is willing to pay. So, he's worth every penny!

What kind of stupid logic is this? 29 other teams wouldn't offer him that money so if someone is stupid enough to do it, that makes them deserving? Lol. Obviously Grizzlies aren't thinking it's overpaid.. but go ask the Warriors and then tell me. Oh, and according to your logic, Curry is not underpaid! He's worth what they are willing to pay, a whooping $10 million!

tredigs
07-01-2016, 08:03 PM

On the beach on my phone, but quickly and simply If you watch Conley play, he is a guy who you will rarely see make a mistake (must have one of the best TO percentages) while making a ton of great decisions, and he brings it on both ends. You'd rather have a top 3 player in the world type? Well no ****, but Conley is the 2nd tier and 2nd tier FA's will command max contracts.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 08:06 PM
On the beach on my phone, but quickly and simply If you watch Conley play, he is a guy who you will rarely see make a mistake (must have one of the best TO percentages) while making a ton of great decisions, and he brings it on both ends. You'd rather have a top 3 player in the world type? Well no ****, but Conley is the 2nd tier and 2nd tier FA's will command max contracts.

and I commented on this already... He is safe. He works because of that system but that floor general **** gets thrown out the window if he is anywhere else because his great qualities would drop off a cliff if he was forced to make elite level passes/plays which he doesnt do. He ALWAYS makes the smart safe pass because of the system and never plays a guy open or makes the sick passes top or 2nd tier players at that position can make. He isnt bad you are correct and he probably is good but he is extremely overrated because of this. Again Alex smith of basketball.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 08:08 PM
If you're not a player who I can say "Here, take this ball and make a play", you aren't a max. Conley is not a max.

DboneG
07-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Conley is solid but not spectacular. Never been an all star or all nba player, and most likely never will be. I don't get how that equals 150+ million. He's not a star at all. If it was like 24 mil at most, I might understand. But not the 30 he's gonna get. I always looked at Conley as overrated.

You would understand clearly, if you saw what the owners make. Why do you think everybody wants to be an NBA owner. Even Obama is jumping into the fray. Steve Ballmer clearly "over payed" for the Clippers a few years back...I think 2 billion. NOW YOU KNOW. These owners are making insane money in order to throw these kinds of contracts out there.

Next, move...Lockout. We're broke! Get concessions from the players..and laugh laugh laugh.

DboneG
07-01-2016, 08:17 PM
What kind of stupid logic is this? 29 other teams wouldn't offer him that money so if someone is stupid enough to do it, that makes them deserving? Lol. Obviously Grizzlies aren't thinking it's overpaid.. but go ask the Warriors and then tell me. Oh, and according to your logic, Curry is not underpaid! He's worth what they are willing to pay, a whooping $10 million!

You are not an NBA owner. So, you and I don't know their thought process. The owners never opened their books. Never. Curry came in the league at the wrong time. But, he still got an insane shoe contract.
Fill in the blank: 27 of 30 NBA owners are_______.

DboneG
07-01-2016, 08:18 PM
You are worth what a man/woman is willing to pay you.

europagnpilgrim

They do got old man games

but with the injury bug attached to it as well, that's the key, I don't they can stay healthy to really see the potential

they just maxed out two guys who are coming off injuries, I don't know how severe Conley injury is/was but Parsons has been damaged goods ever since his first overpaid deal he inked with Dallas

Gasol may not be the same either coming off his injury, but hey its not my money and I hope they all do well on and off the court

Chronz

Chauncey is the perfect description for him.

KingJudah
07-01-2016, 08:20 PM
This is as bad as the mosgod deal... Of all the deals today we finally found one just as bad or worse... He is a medicore player making 30 million a year.
I haven't been here long but this is by far the dumbest post I've seen since being here.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 08:23 PM
You are worth what a man/woman is willing to pay you.

You're right. Stephen Curry is worth $10 million. I'm sure many teams think he's worth that now..

DboneG
07-01-2016, 08:28 PM
The Grizzlies still won't beat GS, OKC, SA, or even the Clippers this coming season. But, the owner will be happy. He put a good team out there...and laugh laugh laugh to the bank.

The Grizzlies may not the Blazers either!

Rivera
07-01-2016, 08:30 PM
He's the most paid player in NBA history until lebron signs his max NEXT season I can't wait to see the per game averages of that

Good for him. He earned it. He has been underrated forever and now he's going to be the most overrated player because he makes the most. Would love to have him on my team any day minus the salary.

Man NBA free agency is wild. And just wait until next year !

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Wonder what Grizzlies fan feel about this. Hard to justify anyone making that much money (outside LeBron/Curry/KD/Westbrook). Let alone someone who is might be outside the top 25 players.

Chronz
07-01-2016, 08:43 PM
and I commented on this already... He is safe. He works because of that system but that floor general **** gets thrown out the window if he is anywhere else because his great qualities would drop off a cliff if he was forced to make elite level passes/plays which he doesnt do. He ALWAYS makes the smart safe pass because of the system and never plays a guy open or makes the sick passes top or 2nd tier players at that position can make. He isnt bad you are correct and he probably is good but he is extremely overrated because of this. Again Alex smith of basketball.

Nah, that system works because hes a piece to the puzzle. What you're saying goes against the general trends we've seen. Post up heavy teams are less conducive to assists, and yes they are less prone to turnovers as a result but the payoff of playing in a PnR oriented system have been proven more than worth the payoff. Conley is a throwback, his best system would actually be something like the Flex Utah ran for Deron Williams(notice how Deron's #'s declined when placed in a post up system). I have no doubt hes always been the better player, he was just less flashy.

We've seen guys like Chris Duhon see an explosion in per game averages when working D'Antoni's PnR as opposed to a more structured offense in Chicago. Just an example

Chronz
07-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Wonder what Grizzlies fan feel about this. Hard to justify anyone making that much money (outside LeBron/Curry/KD/Westbrook). Let alone someone who is might be outside the top 25 players.

Its beyond stupid to compare contracts signed before today

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Its beyond stupid to compare contracts signed before today

30% of Grizzlies cap is Conley. That's not good.

DboneG
07-01-2016, 08:49 PM
In all fairness...Mike Conley is a solid ballplayer. Very good play maker, very good assist man, smart, don't get in trouble off the court. He needs to have a better 3pt. shot, and take more 3pt. shots. I guess this contract will make him more assertive. "I'm the man!"

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Nah, that system works because hes a piece to the puzzle. What you're saying goes against the general trends we've seen. Post up heavy teams are less conducive to assists, and yes they are less prone to turnovers as a result but the payoff of playing in a PnR oriented system have been proven more than worth the payoff. Conley is a throwback, his best system would actually be something like the Flex Utah ran for Deron Williams(notice how Deron's #'s declined when placed in a post up system). I have no doubt hes always been the better player, he was just less flashy.

We've seen guys like Chris Duhon see an explosion in per game averages when working D'Antoni's PnR as opposed to a more structured offense in Chicago. Just an example

I am completely bias because I just dont like him... There is value in what he does but I just dont see what other see... I like his 2 way play but even with the new contracts dont think he is a 21 plus per year guy let alone 30 mill a year... I just cant see it... I wasnt big on billups either.

shep33
07-01-2016, 09:09 PM
This is Joe Johnson bad. By far the worst contract of the summer... wtf

beasted86
07-01-2016, 09:10 PM
I love how people are actually trying to justify this idiotic contract.

For me, when judging the economics of this contract, here's what matters...

How many leading story headlines is Conley going to make on the front page of ESPN or SI or even the lesser pair Yahoo Sports or CBS sports other than the headline for this contract? Probably very close to zero for the next 5 years of this deal.

How many extra fans are going to buy tickets for those Memphis seats? How likely is a fan of an opposing team going to say something like 'The Grizzlies are coming to town, and I really wanted to see Mike Conley'?

How many kids, teens, adults and foreigners log onto NBA.com or go to their local NBA store to buy a Mike Conley jersey?

The guy will never ever be the face of a franchise in any way shape or form and doesn't improve your teams brand whatsoever. I can honestly see this still being a bad contract 2 years from now when the max contract is like $40M for Curry and Westbrook.

Say what you want about a guy like Whiteside or Dwight Howard or Demar Derozan and how much they will actually help to put any given team in a position to win or be a true leader. But guess what... you'll never have doubts in regards to any of the points I made above in this post about what they do for a team's brand. They will certainly help fill headlines, arena seats, TV screens, and closets for their teams.

Conley is 99.99% likely to never live up to the economics of this contract.

flea
07-01-2016, 09:13 PM
I love how people are actually trying to justify this idiotic contract.

For me, when judging the economics of this contract, here's what matters...

How many leading story headlines is Conley going to make on the front page of ESPN or SI or even the lesser pair Yahoo Sports or CBS sports other than the headline for this contract? Probably very close to zero for the next 5 years of this deal.

How many extra fans are going to buy tickets for those Memphis seats? How likely is a fan of an opposing team going to say something like 'The Grizzlies are coming to town, and I really wanted to see Mike Conley'?

How many kids, teens, adults and foreigners log onto NBA.com or go to their local NBA store to buy a Mike Conley jersey?

The guy will never ever be the face of a franchise in any way shape or form and doesn't improve your teams brand whatsoever.

Say what you want about a guy like Whiteside or Dwight Howard or Demar Derozan and how much they will actually help to put any given team in a position to win or be a true lesser. But guess what... you'll never have doubts in regards to any of the points I made above in this post about what they do for a team's brand. They will certainly help fill headlines, arena seats, TV screens, and closets for their teams.

Conley is 99.99% likely to never live up to the economics of this contract.

So your basketball analysis begins and ends with TMZ-tier junk...

Isaiah Thomas is that you?

beasted86
07-01-2016, 09:16 PM
So your basketball analysis begins and ends with TMZ-tier junk...

Isaiah Thomas is that you?
TMZ? Wtf does that have to do with judging the economic value of Mike Conley?

It'll be interesting to see exactly how badly Forbes paints this deal.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Chronz what was Billups paid during his time similar to the time frame of conley and do you think he is as good offensively or defensively?

Not trolling. Asking honestly because I may very well be a moron when it comes to conley much like I am with cam newtons and certain other guys who i have bias against in certain sports.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-01-2016, 09:19 PM
He Got Whaaaaattttt?!

-New ESPN segment.

Saddletramp
07-01-2016, 10:00 PM
This is Joe Johnson bad.

This was my first thought

By far the worst contract of the summer... wtf

.Not sure if it's the worst contract, though. Might not even be the worst contract on his team that was agreed upon today. It's all about staying healthy with the Grizz.

kobe4thewinbang
07-01-2016, 10:32 PM
I get that Grizzlies are probably overpaying because they can't attract big names until today apparently when Parsons made history, and they made history again by offering the NBA's biggest contract, but it's Mike Conley. Good player, good professional, but he's made of glass! How many playoff runs were ended with him unable to lace up? Plus they already have injury-prone Marc Gasol, and now they gave 80 million to another member of the glass family in Parsons. How much cap space do they even have left at this point? 10 million maybe? They are far from a stacked team that could contend and 5 years of Conley who will definitely get injured again. Bank on that.

believeinNYK
07-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Yep... 30 is the new 20

naps
07-02-2016, 02:53 AM
Man, I thought Dragic was overpaid. I am in love with Dragic's contract now. We have him for 4 more years ONLY at $17mill? STEAL!

Antipod
07-02-2016, 04:24 AM
Damn boy...if Conley can get 30 + mil a year.... so how much Curry is gonna worth? 50-60 ??

GoferKing_
07-02-2016, 04:44 AM
In two years this contract will bite them in the a.s.s. very very hard.

Phantom Dreamer
07-02-2016, 04:49 AM
All these guys are way overpaid!!It's either the players or the owners. Better that the new TV money goes to the players.

shep33
07-02-2016, 01:28 PM
I love Conley, but this is a Joe Johnson bad contract.

IBleedPurple
07-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Holy ****. Had to read this one a few times. Enjoy it Memphis, I know Conley will.