PDA

View Full Version : Al Jefferson a Pacer, 3yr, $30M

IndyRealist
07-01-2016, 01:08 PM
A person with knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press that the Indiana Pacers have agreed to terms with big man Al Jefferson on a three-year contract worth $30 million.

The Pacers and Jefferson came to terms on Friday afternoon, about 12 hours after the free agent frenzy started. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract cannot be signed until July 7.

The 31-year-old Jefferson is an old-school post player who missed significant time for the Charlotte Hornets last season with a knee injury.

He averaged 12.0 points and 6.4 rebounds in 47 games for the Hornets, who also lost Jeremy Lin in free agency on Friday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-pacers-agree-al-jefferson-3-30m-165827552--nba.html

Rivera
07-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Now this is a steal. I'm not sure how he's going to fit but for his production that is a steal. Another very good move by Indy and moves Thad to the bench

DR_1
07-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Wow, Indiana may just give Cleveland some problems

Jefferson/Turner
Young
George
Ellis
Teague

North Yorker
07-01-2016, 01:12 PM

Jefferson/Turner
Young
George
Ellis
Teague

Lol George is the only good defender in that lineup. CLE would score 120 on them.

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 01:13 PM
the value is fine but i hate the fit. that lineup is awkward

TheDish87
07-01-2016, 01:14 PM
love this move for Indy. Need to dump Ellis though an upgrade at the 2. Wonder if they start Jefferson/Turner and have Thad off the bench?

IndyRealist
07-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Lol George is the only good defender in that lineup. CLE would score 120 on them.

When I asked people about Young, they said he was a good two way guy :shrug:

Anyway, Turner is probably starting and he's a good man defender and rim protector.

IndyRealist
07-01-2016, 01:18 PM

+1. The Pacers want to play fast and shoot 3s with a switching, lockdown defense. So we picked up a lumbering center who doesn't protect the rim.

KnicksorBust
07-01-2016, 01:20 PM

Bench scoring? Are we sure who is starting at PF/C for that team?

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 01:25 PM
It's still a weird fit

Aust
07-01-2016, 01:25 PM

Turner is their starting C. He can be some bench scoring for them.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Probably what Noah should have been paid.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
He hasn't looked healthy the past two seasons but man, this is still a great pickup. $10 million is a steal.

Wade n Fade
07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
I thought Al Jefferson would be a better fit off a contender's bench because the dude has tons of health issues. He's the type of guy OKC should've tried to bring in while getting rid of Enes Kanter and Mitch McGary.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 01:34 PM
His health cost him a lot of money. Those who are getting injured of just had bad seasons, man, it might come back to haunt them.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Can't believe he signed for only 10 per year. I saw the headline and just assumed it was 30 per year, which is ridiculous, but more believable than 10 per year at this point based on Mozgov.

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 01:35 PM
His health cost him a lot of money. Those who are getting injured of just had bad seasons, man, it might come back to haunt them.

his defense cost him more.

TheDish87
07-01-2016, 01:41 PM
he improved a lot on D in Charlotte. Not sure how he was last year with the injury though. Plus playing next to Turner will cover him up some at the rim

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 01:43 PM
he improved a lot on D in Charlotte. Not sure how he was last year with the injury though. Plus playing next to Turner will cover him up some at the rim

was terrible last yr

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 01:45 PM
his defense cost him more.

Offensively, he was a beast. Probably a top five offensive center at the post scoring. I think his health hurt him more than anything. At 100%, who cares about his defense? It certainly wasn't terrible and he's an automatic from within 5 feet.

*He was terrible last year*

That's cause he was injured last year...

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Offensively, he was a beast. Probably a top five offensive center at the post scoring. I think his health hurt him more than anything. At 100%, who cares about his defense? It certainly wasn't terrible and he's an automatic from within 5 feet.

*He was terrible last year*

That's cause he was injured last year...

defense is more important for a C than offense. Name how many teams with a **** defensive C have won a title the last 15 yrs. I'll wait....

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 02:25 PM
defense is more important for a C than offense. Name how many teams with a **** defensive C have won a title the last 15 yrs. I'll wait....

How about Miami...? And look at who signed them.. By your logic, offensive centers are useless. Sorry, but you haven't watch Al Jefferson at all. He wasn't a terrible defender when he was healthy. I agree that defensive centers>Offensive centers but I'm speaking about the Pacers signing him. They have nothing to lose for $10 million per year when Mosgov gets paid $16 million.

ombada
07-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Im almost certain Jefferson will be coming off the bench, unless they play him at PF, which i can only see happening if they need to slow down a game and play out of a half court set.

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 02:43 PM
How about Miami...? And look at who signed them.. By your logic, offensive centers are useless. Sorry, but you haven't watch Al Jefferson at all. He wasn't a terrible defender when he was healthy. I agree that defensive centers>Offensive centers but I'm speaking about the Pacers signing him. They have nothing to lose for $10 million per year when Mosgov gets paid $16 million.

lol Bosh was a plus defender. Jefferson is injury prone and slow as ****. Sounds like you're the one who doesn't watch him.

And I said that the price for him was good. It's the fit that's bad.

Rivera
07-01-2016, 02:45 PM

I don't disagree with anything you have said in this thread.

But his production , his known value as an offensive plus, and his contract value also makes him a great trade piece. It's a great asset

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 02:51 PM
lol Bosh was a plus defender. Jefferson is injury prone and slow as ****. Sounds like you're the one who doesn't watch him.

And I said that the price for him was good. It's the fit that's bad.

1) Bosh was a good defender but he was terrible defensively man-on-man.. Jefferson completely destroyed him in the playoffs. He was getting scored on by Hibbert. Duncan looked ten years younger... It's hard to say if Bosh was a much better defender than Jefferson because Jefferson is a terrible team defender but man-on-man, he was better than Bosh.

2) Yes, that's why he's getting paid $10 million. Do you really think the Pacers are expecting to make Al Jefferson their best player when they paid him $10 million? That's an absolute bargain. Bad fit? How is he a bad fit? Care to explain?

3) Sorry, I did watch him. It looks like you didn't. Reality is, Mosgov is getting paid $16 million and Al Jefferson is getting paid $10 million. Fit or not, he's a steal for ANY team.

ombada
07-01-2016, 02:57 PM
1) Bosh was a good defender but he was terrible defensively man-on-man.. Jefferson completely destroyed him in the playoffs. He was getting scored on by Hibbert. Duncan looked ten years younger... It's hard to say if Bosh was a much better defender than Jefferson because Jefferson is a terrible team defender but man-on-man, he was better than Bosh.

2) Yes, that's why he's getting paid $10 million. Do you really think the Pacers are expecting to make Al Jefferson their best player when they paid him $10 million? That's an absolute bargain. Bad fit? How is he a bad fit? Care to explain?

3) Sorry, I did watch him. It looks like you didn't. Reality is, Mosgov is getting paid $16 million and Al Jefferson is getting paid $10 million. Fit or not, he's a steal for ANY team.

I agree with this. right now our second unit is

PG: ? Joe Young?
SG: Stuckey
SF: CJ Miles
PF: Lavoy Allen
C: Al Jefferson

Stuckey and young need the ball in their hands to create. Miles is a shooter, but streaky. Basically without Jefferson there is very limited offensive talent on the second unit as of now.

Also he will play with the starters when we need a big line-up or to slow it down and play a half court game. Im sure the Pacers will run, but they will have to slow it down every now and then during the course of a game.

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 02:58 PM
that was Jefferson 3 years ago. post-up scoring is becoming less and less relevant every year.

they traded their best shooter for a below average 3pt shooter. Monta Ellis can't shoot. Thad Young can't shoot. barely any spacing for his postups. Teague is a PnR PG and that isn't Jefferson's strength at all. Monta Ellis is a PnR guard also. Hill fits better on this team, easily.

if you wanna think that Jefferson is a good defender, then you can stick to that dumb opinion...idc. And like I said, Mozgov is irrelevant to this debate. Who gives a **** that he makes 16m? I'm talking about basketball, not cap. I already said the price was good in my first post.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 03:02 PM
that was Jefferson 3 years ago. post-up scoring is becoming less and less relevant every year.

they traded their best shooter for a below average 3pt shooter. Monta Ellis can't shoot. Thad Young can't shoot. barely any spacing for his postups. Teague is a PnR PG and that isn't Jefferson's strength at all. Monta Ellis is a PnR guard also. Hill fits better on this team, easily.

if you wanna think that Jefferson is a good defender, then you can stick to that opinion...idc. And like I said, Mozgov is irrelevant to this debate. Who gives a **** that he makes 16m? I'm talking about basketball, not cap. I already said the price was good in my first post.

1) Again, you seem to think $10 million for what Jefferson offers is a bad deal or something. He's a STEAL for that price. When Jeremy Lin is getting $13 million, are you seriously going to cry about them getting a steal? They need him to score. Pacers are way too defense-oriented as it is. Him coming back as the second unit while PG rest is a huge boost.

2) Why are you complaining about the fit when he's a steal for $10 million and works for this team? What have you been watching? Please don't comment when you don't have a clue how he plays... It's just shocking you can even complain at all. His only downside are the injuries but for $10 million, he's worth the risk.

+, I never said he was a good defender... I said he isn't as bad as you think he is.

DboneG
07-01-2016, 03:06 PM

Jefferson/Turner
Young
George
Ellis
Teague

You are correct. Indiana will give Cleveland some problems this coming season. I don't think they will overtake them.. Defense is all about want and the desire to play defense. This Indiana team is going to want to play defense a bit more this coming season. Indiana has made some nice moves this summer. kudos

DboneG
07-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Al Jefferson...great post up man. Teams need a post man just to free up a 3pt. shot. Is the post game becoming irrelevant? No. The post game will always be a great thing to have. Teams can do a lot of things from the post.

Al Jefferson...defense. He's not a bad defender nor is he a great one. He'll do. He's adequate. Jefferson isn't going to be the anchor of the defense or anything like that...you are not going the let your guy get by you so he can run into your big man Al Jefferson. No Whiteside or Howard, maybe Bogut you can do that with. Not Jefferson.

S & B Bleeder
07-01-2016, 03:36 PM
NOOOOOOO!!! WE'LL GIVE YOU THE MAX, AL!

Sincerely,

Lakers Management

Al is a Fat, Slow, and Old Black Hole. He absolutely sucks now.

In his prime, he was pretty good. Last year, including the playoffs, he was a flat out embarrassment who was abused mercilessly by his opponent.

What a total waste of 30 million dollars.

TheDish87
07-01-2016, 05:27 PM
ohhh the irony in a Laker fan saying Al Jeff at 10 mil is a waste of money when his team just gace out the worst contract in years lol

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 07:18 PM
1) Again, you seem to think $10 million for what Jefferson offers is a bad deal or something. He's a STEAL for that price. When Jeremy Lin is getting $13 million, are you seriously going to cry about them getting a steal? They need him to score. Pacers are way too defense-oriented as it is. Him coming back as the second unit while PG rest is a huge boost.
jesus christ. I said the price is GOOD, but the FIT is bad. The pacers arent defense oriented anymore. They fired a defense 1st coach and got rid of their 2nd and 3rd best defenders (Hill and Mahinmi)

2) Why are you complaining about the fit when he's a steal for $10 million and works for this team? What have you been watching? Please don't comment when you don't have a clue how he plays... It's just shocking you can even complain at all. His only downside are the injuries but for $10 million, he's worth the risk.

+, I never said he was a good defender... I said he isn't as bad as you think he is.

u clearly haven't been paying attention to **** if you still think the Pacers have a good defense with a lineup of:

Teague
Ellis
George
Young
Jefferson

if you think that's defense oriented then you don't know basketball. there are 4 minus defenders in that lineup...

and yes, his defense is as bad as I think it is. He was hidden 2 yrs ago under a great defensive coach/system in Charlotte, and now he has 3 minus defenders around him, plus 3 score first slashers/guards. You're the one lacking knowledge.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:23 PM
jesus christ. I said the price is GOOD, but the FIT is bad. The pacers arent defense oriented anymore. They fired a defense 1st coach and got rid of their 2nd and 3rd best defenders (Hill and Mahinmi)

u clearly haven't been paying attention to **** if you still think the Pacers have a good defense with a lineup of:

Teague
Ellis
George
Young
Jefferson

if you think that's defense oriented then you don't know basketball. there are 4 minus defenders in that lineup...

and yes, his defense is as bad as I think it is. He was hidden 2 yrs ago under a great defensive coach/system in Charlotte, and now he has 3 minus defenders around him, plus 3 score first slashers/guards. You're the one lacking knowledge.

Turner is going to start for them most likely so Jefferson is going to be coming off the bench. You're complaining about fit but this deal is just too good to pass up on. There's nothing wrong with the fit. Jefferson is getting paid $10 million. They have more than enough cap space left to get defensive players.. stop trying to act like he's going to doom them. He makes them better, period. And he's a bargain. Go find a player of Jefferson's caliber for $10 million. I'll wait.

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Turner is going to start for them most likely so Jefferson is going to be coming off the bench. You're complaining about fit but this deal is just too good to pass up on. There's nothing wrong with the fit. Jefferson is getting paid $10 million. They have more than enough cap space left to get defensive players.. stop trying to act like he's going to doom them. He makes them better, period. And he's a bargain. Go find a player of Jefferson's caliber for $10 million. I'll wait.

and those bench lineups with jefferson will get roasted. you keep mentioning the price like I haven't admitted that it's good lol. Him alone obviously won't doom them but the potential lineups they can throw out without the defenders to hide his crap defense could doom them. He doesn't make them better, period. you;'re acting like this is 27 year old jefferson. He's old and slow now.

You still havent named teams that won with a crap defensive Center yet.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:40 PM
and those bench lineups with jefferson will get roasted. you keep mentioning the price like I haven't admitted that it's good lol. Him alone obviously won't doom them but the potential lineups they can throw out without the defenders to hide his crap defense could doom them. He doesn't make them better, period. you;'re acting like this is 27 year old jefferson. He's old and slow now.

You still havent named teams that won with a crap defensive Center yet.

And you still think a $10 million dollar player when Timofey Mosgov gets paid $16 million is supposed to be the star player of a championship team. You aren't being realistic here. If he's getting paid $10 million, Pacers have enough cap to sign another player with around $20 million. You get what you get. A big who can give you 15 points off the bench and 8 rebounds. If you want your $10 million dollar player to do more than that, you have unrealistic expectations. And you keep saying defensive center but who won this season? Cavs. Tristan is not a much better defender than Turner is so I'm losing track of what you're saying. He's getting paid LESS than Mosgov, Jeremy Lin, etc... what are you expecting? Anthony Davis?

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 07:46 PM
And you still think a $10 million dollar player when Timofey Mosgov gets paid $16 million is supposed to be the star player of a championship team. You aren't being realistic here. If he's getting paid $10 million, Pacers have enough cap to sign another player with around $20 million. You get what you get. A big who can give you 15 points off the bench and 8 rebounds. If you want your $10 million dollar player to do more than that, you have unrealistic expectations. And you keep saying defensive center but who won this season? Cavs. Tristan is not a much better defender than Turner is so I'm losing track of what you're saying. He's getting paid LESS than Mosgov, Jeremy Lin, etc... what are you expecting? Anthony Davis?

I don't even know why I keep trying to explain this. THE $$$ is irrelevant. I'm talking purely about basketball fit. Having the $$$ is nice, but we have to see who they get before just assuming they'll sign some defensive ace. I'm judging the team from what it looks like right now. Turner is a good shot blocker but he's still skinny and gets bullied down low. He'll improve but who knows by how much in only his 2nd year?

I'm not big on Tristan Thompson but he's by far the best switching big in the league next to Draymond. Nobody could stay in front of Curry like Thompson could.

flea
07-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Hard to argue with the dough and Jefferson is a fine veteran.

I think Bird may be on to something if Jefferson is going to be the guy they run their 2nd unit through. Most teams these days like to downsize in 2nd units and try to exploit quickness (since it's much easier to find as depth these days) whereas in years past backups were more defensive oriented. Most teams aren't used to defending a strong post man in their 2nd unit - the Pacers could go from a fast-paced athletic starting unit to a slow post-up 2nd unit with shooting. Little to lose, he's a fine role player (which is the role it seems he's accepted).

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 07:53 PM
I don't even know why I keep trying to explain this. THE $$$ is irrelevant. I'm talking purely about basketball fit. Having the $$$ is nice, but we have to see who they get before just assuming they'll sign some defensive ace. I'm judging the team from what it looks like right now. Turner is a good shot blocker but he's still skinny and gets bullied down low. He'll improve but who knows by how much in only his 2nd year?

I'm not big on Tristan Thompson but he's by far the best switching big in the league next to Draymond. Nobody could stay in front of Curry like Thompson could.

You aren't understanding the basic idea that it can't be a bad fit if he's getting paid for so little. If he was getting paid $20 million, you have a point. But he's getting paid to come off the bench for 25 minutes per game. The $$$ IS RELEVANT. He's too cheap to ignore. Totally a steal at this price. Unless you're expecting him to be a defensive behemoth (like Ben Wallace), then you're going to be disappointed. Pacers don't need him to play defense. He's just a 2nd unit boost. I don't see what you're expecting him to do. Who are they going to sign for $10 million that is an elite defender? Seriously..?

Chronz
07-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Hard to argue with the dough and Jefferson is a fine veteran.

I think Bird may be on to something if Jefferson is going to be the guy they run their 2nd unit through. Most teams these days like to downsize in 2nd units and try to exploit quickness (since it's much easier to find as depth these days) whereas in years past backups were more defensive oriented. Most teams aren't used to defending a strong post man in their 2nd unit - the Pacers could go from a fast-paced athletic starting unit to a slow post-up 2nd unit with shooting. Little to lose, he's a fine role player (whicBingoh is the role it seems he's accepted).

Bingo. Its partly why Kanter had a "better" defensive season and was such a productive positive for OKC this year. If Al J is healthy, off the bench may be his most meaningful ways to contribute.

Dade County
07-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Damn, he's still in the East.

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 09:57 PM
You aren't understanding the basic idea that it can't be a bad fit if he's getting paid for so little. If he was getting paid $20 million, you have a point. But he's getting paid to come off the bench for 25 minutes per game. The $$$ IS RELEVANT. He's too cheap to ignore. Totally a steal at this price. Unless you're expecting him to be a defensive behemoth (like Ben Wallace), then you're going to be disappointed. Pacers don't need him to play defense. He's just a 2nd unit boost. I don't see what you're expecting him to do. Who are they going to sign for $10 million that is an elite defender? Seriously..?
You just seem to think his bad defense won't have a negative impact on the team. I do, so no point in going in circles anymore.

IndyRealist
07-02-2016, 08:44 AM

Teague
Ellis
George
Young
Jefferson

Actually, the Pacers got rid of their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best defenders (Hill, Mahimni, and Hill). Some would argue Solomon Hill was a better defender than PG in the playoffs.

KnickNyKnick
07-02-2016, 06:11 PM
wow, he could've gotten waaay more.

Aust
07-02-2016, 06:56 PM
wow, he could've gotten waaay more.

He may have taken less to play for Indy, but I doubt it. This was probably his market value. He can be a decent contributor off the bench.

ewing
07-02-2016, 09:20 PM
10 million is peanuts right now. great signing.

JasonJohnHorn
07-03-2016, 05:38 PM
The Pacers are killing it this offseason.

All they need to do is bring Lance back and get him back on track.

IndyRealist
07-03-2016, 06:46 PM
The Pacers are killing it this offseason.

All they need to do is bring Lance back and get him back on track.

I'm really not against that. Most of the players from 3 years ago are gone anyway.