PDA

View Full Version : Whiteside decision is in... stays with the heat

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 07:51 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-hassan-whiteside-s070116-story.html

zookman65
07-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Mavs continue the tradition of swinging for the free agency fences and striking out... at least last year they hit warning track shot with Deandre Jordan.

RLundi
07-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Congrats Heat fans

b-ballistic
07-01-2016, 08:21 AM
I'm glad he was prompt with his decision.

Wrench
07-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Im sure its the max with what the likes of Mozgov and Noah are getting but I think its worth it. Need to keep the young talent we have.

Wade n Fade
07-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Glad the Mavs struck out. Now, time to trade Whiteside during the December window or 2017 trade deadline.

McAllen Tx
07-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Heat are gonna have the same team next year. Probably w/o Johnson though.

McAllen Tx
07-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Does Cuban now offer Wade a 3 year $60 million contract and force Riley to match?

Big Zo
07-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Heat are gonna have the same team next year. Probably w/o Johnson though.

Will be a huge upgrade if Bosh is healthy, though.

Vee-Rex
07-01-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm hearing 4years 104million.

North Yorker
07-01-2016, 09:26 AM
I'm hearing 4years 104million.

4/98 according to Ziglett

ATX
07-01-2016, 09:27 AM
Not too happy about having to shell out a max, but with all the wild contracts being handed out, it's what they had to do. Mosgov at $16M, Noah at $18M, Howard seeking $24M, Batum, DeRozan, Parsons, Beal, Drummond all getting max deals. Whiteside per 36 minutes last season were 17.6 pts, 14.7 rebs, and 4.6 blks. If anything, compared to other 2016 FA deals, it seems like a safe gamble.

RowBTrice
07-01-2016, 09:47 AM
I think that's a good one for the Heat

mgjohnson7851
07-01-2016, 09:50 AM
This takes them out of the KD picture, no?

Clint Olbrock
07-01-2016, 09:50 AM

748869775548309505If you're Wade, you have to be a little bit pissed about this. $22 million per and the most they ever gave Wade was $20 million for 1 season, being last season after he had to make a bunch of threats just to get that.

Dade County
07-01-2016, 09:51 AM

So other teams could offer him 92, and Miami had to give him every last dollar...

He gets traded in December.

Vincent
07-01-2016, 09:52 AM
wouldn't be a off season without Dallas getting stabbed in the heart with a free agent center lol

Scoots
07-01-2016, 10:01 AM
It's a real max deal too, not just a near max deal which means he gets the extra escalators too so it may start at $98 but may end up much more.

Vinylman
07-01-2016, 10:20 AM
If you're Wade, you have to be a little bit pissed about this. $22 million per and the most they ever gave Wade was $20 million for 1 season, being last season after he had to make a bunch of threats just to get that.

22? it averages out at 24.5

Vinylman
07-01-2016, 10:21 AM
It's a real max deal too, not just a near max deal which means he gets the extra escalators too so it may start at $98 but may end up much more.

pretty sure that is a max/max at $98 million

ATX
07-01-2016, 10:21 AM

How so? His max starts at $22.2M and averages $24.5M over 4 years. The annual raises are included in the total contact value.

Clint Olbrock
07-01-2016, 10:39 AM
22? it averages out at 24.5
My bad man, you're right. But the point still stands and even more so with your correct math, Wade has never got paid more than $20 million in a season, which was last year. I know I'd be pissed, at least a little bit.

Vinylman
07-01-2016, 10:48 AM
My bad man, you're right. But the point still stands and even more so with your correct math, Wade has never got paid more than $20 million in a season, which was last year. I know I'd be pissed, at least a little bit.

a little? He should be extremely pissed ... although if they strike out in FA they can go over the cap to sign him so he can still get his money

Big Zo
07-01-2016, 10:52 AM

I'd be more pissed at the fact that it's LeBron's fault he opted out of his 2014 contract, thinking he would stay if he took a pay cut. Guy lost quite a bit of money because of his BFF. I would hope LeBron has found a way to pay him back with Christmas/Birthday presents.

hugepatsfan
07-01-2016, 10:53 AM
a little? He should be extremely pissed ... although if they strike out in FA they can go over the cap to sign him so he can still get his money

Not materially they can't go over the cap. His max is like $30.8M. The cap hold to maintain his bird rights is $30M. They need to set that aside off of the rest of what they spend to keep his bird rights. But since the hold is in all material aspects equal to his max, there's really no benefit. They have to fit his salary under the cap.

Vinylman
07-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Not materially they can't go over the cap. His max is like $30.8M. The cap hold to maintain his bird rights is $30M. They need to set that aside off of the rest of what they spend to keep his bird rights. But since the hold is in all material aspects equal to his max, there's really no benefit. They have to fit his salary under the cap.

wow... I didn't know his cap hold was 150% ... that is just crazy...

oh well, hope he gets his money

Clint Olbrock
07-01-2016, 11:07 AM
I'd be more pissed at the fact that it's LeBron's fault he opted out of his 2014 contract, thinking he would stay if he took a pay cut. Guy lost quite a bit of money because of his BFF. I would hope LeBron has found a way to pay him back with Christmas/Birthday presents.
The Heat could've paid him more once LeBron left in 2014, similar to what the Mavs ended up doing with Matthews last year when DJ backed out on his agreement but the Heat didn't. They had a chance to pay him big last summer, after he threw a fit about it and still only gave him $20(I say only because it could've been more), but the Heat didn't. They could've paid him large this summer but are still bulking at it.

Wade should be pissed at Riley and Arison for continually undervaluing him and what he has did for that organization.

Slug3
07-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Miami should just pay Wade and stop making it a game. They have a decent starting 5 if all can stay healthy.

Dragic
Wade
Winslow
Bosh
Whiteside

Bench TJ and Richardson.

Other than that we got nobody though, lol. I could almost see them trading Dragic now at some point soon or this coming season to open up more money.

Big Zo
07-01-2016, 11:31 AM
The Heat could've paid him more once LeBron left in 2014, similar to what the Mavs ended up doing with Matthews last year when DJ backed out on his agreement but the Heat didn't. They had a chance to pay him big last summer, after he threw a fit about it and still only gave him $20(I say only because it could've been more), but the Heat didn't. They could've paid him large this summer but are still bulking at it.

Wade should be pissed at Riley and Arison for continually undervaluing him and what he has did for that organization.

Yes, they could have paid him more, but he also could've stuck with the good contract he had, and didn't because of LeBron. I'd be more pissed at LeBron, considering that's his friend, and he cost him millions. Riley and Arison are just his empoyers, and are doing what's best for the team.

GiantsSwaGG
07-01-2016, 11:36 AM
The Heat probably would of been better off letting him walk, they better hope the money doesn't go to his head and he matures. Also with the possiblity of Bosh playing they go back to a half court offense where Dragic struggled.

Scoots
07-01-2016, 11:39 AM
I think the Heat will regret this contract.

Big Zo
07-01-2016, 11:41 AM
The Heat probably would of been better off letting him walk, they better hope the money doesn't go to his head and he matures. Also with the possiblity of Bosh playing they go back to a half court offense where Dragic struggled.

Bosh is a jump shooting big that can hit from the outside. He can play at a fast pace.

mia1619
07-01-2016, 11:44 AM
So the Heat are most likely going to go into next year with the same team, give or take a few minor guys. We will end up not being able to get Durant, so then we will re-sign Wade for what he wants and then maybe bring back Tyler Johnson, Joe Johnson and Haslem, and then we will sign low key guys. I'm ok with it, we really did;t have much of a choice with Durant and Lebron not leaving and Whiteside 100% taking whoever offered the most money.

I'd be interested in seeing if we'd be able to make something work where we can trade Mcroberts and Dragic's contracts for either future picks or a few players on small/rookie deals and then trying to either add Mike Conley or add another higher paid wing piece. IDK who we'd go with but I have a really hard time thinking we are just gonna go re-sign Johnson/Deng and go into next year with pretty much the exact same team, just adding Bosh.

But then again, maybe with Bosh's situation that really is all you can do until you find out if he can play again or if he's gonna have to retire and we get his cap space next summer. Nobody huge is going to want to sign here with the expectation of winning if Bosh's situation isn't figured out.

The heat are also likely counting on large improvements from Winslow and Richardson, which I think is likely, especially for Winslow. He has been at the facility working out and working on his shot every day this summer and he was already one of the top wing defenders in the league.

The 2 biggest questions the Heat face in regards to their future in my opinion (after signing Wade, which to me is a given), are obviously the future of Bosh and his contract as well as Winslow and where he ends up in his career. To me his spectrum of possibilities for his future ranges between Kidd-Gilchrist at the low end and Kawhi Leonard at the high end. He is that talented. He is the biggest wild card when it comes to the Heat's future.

We have two possibilities pretty much for our depth chart for next year now:

If we keep Dragic:

Dragic/Richardson/Weber
Wade/Tyler Johnson
Joe Johnson/Winslow
Bosh/Mcroberts/Haslem
Whiteside

With the rest of the team being filled in with veterans.

OR trade Dragic and Mcroberts for cap space and try to sign Conley sign and trade for Conley or something like that and go with Winslow as a starter:

Conley/Richardson/Weber
Wade/Tyler Johnson
Winslow/
Bosh/Haslem
Whiteside

And then going with minimum guys for the rest of the roster.

GiantsSwaGG
07-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Bosh is a jump shooting big that can hit from the outside. He can play at a fast pace.

You guys weren't playing at a face pace when he was on the floor, played better without him

unleashthebeast
07-01-2016, 12:28 PM
The last guy that I thought would have all the money go to his head and that he would really decline in performance was Draymond Green, and that one ended pretty well for the Warriors haha.

Definitely some risk here, I suppose it was necessary risk though. Couldn't lose Whiteside, especially when the other lesser options are getting 18mil per like Noah. Hopefully Whiteside keeps his head on straight with this dough.

naps
07-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Mark Cuban said, "White went for max money. So I cant blame him." Miami can only pay $4 mill more. Must be tough on him after striking out on every center :laugh2:

Anyways, I was always against the absolute max for him but I honestly feel like we got a steal after seeing the contracts that have been handed out since last night. If Derozan is worth $29 mill a year, Beal $26 mill, Mozgov $16 mill, then Whiteside sure as hell is worth $22 mill and pretty sure he would be worth a lot more if his max allowed him to be.

Big Zo
07-01-2016, 12:40 PM
You guys weren't playing at a face pace when he was on the floor, played better without him

That's not to say he can't. He did it quite a bit when LeBron was here. I fully expect the Heat to keep the fast pace style.

Bring The Heat
07-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Retaining whiteside was a must. He's still young and in his prime. He's a top 5 center.. Without him we barely a play off team IMO.. He's an elite rim protector and rebounder.. Strong finisher around the rim as well

Now hopefully we can hit on another big name. If not then going into this season with the same team isn't a bad thing when you think about few things. If Winslow improved his game (only 19 years old) which he should then we could be better. Other guys like josh Richardson coming into their second year can get better as well. If those two take another leap in their game this year then we are back in top 3 in the east

GiantsSwaGG
07-01-2016, 12:48 PM
That's not to say he can't. He did it quite a bit when LeBron was here. I fully expect the Heat to keep the fast pace style.

That's when he was younger and didn't have the blood clot situation plus he was the center and not the PF, with Whiteside that might slow him down alil. Unless he's a lethal catch and shoot stretch 4 they'll go back to the half court offense but we'll see!

unleashthebeast
07-01-2016, 12:51 PM
@EthanJSkolnick: New info on Whiteside deal: it's not necessarily a 4 for $98M max. He agreed to some wiggle room if Durant wants to come.

Bring The Heat
07-01-2016, 12:59 PM
@EthanJSkolnick: New info on Whiteside deal: it's not necessarily a 4 for $98M max. He agreed to some wiggle room if Durant wants to come.

that small bit of news just gave me a semi... There might be something brewing here! Lol

zn23
07-01-2016, 01:18 PM
lol Marc Cuban takes another L.

Big Zo
07-01-2016, 01:21 PM
That's when he was younger and didn't have the blood clot situation plus he was the center and not the PF, with Whiteside that might slow him down alil. Unless he's a lethal catch and shoot stretch 4 they'll go back to the half court offense but we'll see!

It actually works better regarding the bloodclots. He'd absorb less of the contact that causes them. And again, it's Spoelstra's preferred style, and I expect him to stick to it.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Overpaid. He's good but Heat managed to almost beat Toronto without him. You have to wonder if this dude will ever mature enough to be able to lead this team because that's what he has to start doing offensively. He gets blocks and changes the opponents shots but don't really see much improvement elsewhere.

naps
07-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Riley for sure is not getting into the meeting with KD for the sake of it. Pretty he has a Dragic deal lined up if KD were to come. Still think KD stays put.

Clint Olbrock
07-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Yes, they could have paid him more, but he also could've stuck with the good contract he had, and didn't because of LeBron. I'd be more pissed at LeBron, considering that's his friend, and he cost him millions. Riley and Arison are just his empoyers, and are doing what's best for the team.

I 100% can respect your full commitment to the team aspect over a player. But you have to put any ill will you have towards LBJ aside, along with any homer-ism for the Heat franchise aside, if you want to look at this situation objectively and realistically.

This "good contract" you speak of that Wade opted out of was 2 years left at $41 million. Wade's salary for 2014-15 was set to be $20.1 million and his 2015-16 salary was set to be $21.6 million. LBJ announced on July 11th 2014 that he was going back to CLE. On July 16th 2014 Wade agreed to a 2 year deal worth $31 million, now his 2014-15 salary was $15 million with a $16 million player option for the 2015-16 season.

It was 5 days AFTER LBJ said he was going back to the Cavs that Wade and the Heat struck a new deal.. How can you blame that on LBJ? The Heat could have given him the amount he gave up AND MORE... They decided Wade wasn't worth that to them.

We now, fast forward to last summer where Wade turns down his $16 million player option and after a lot of media attention being thrown at how the Heat weren't giving Wade what he wanted, the sides agreed on a 1 year deal for the 2015-16 season at $20 million.. AGAIN, they Heat could've gave Wade more than this, he even wanted a longer deal in terms of years but the Heat decided Wade wasn't worth it to them. Not sure how this can be pinned on LBJ at all.

Over the 2 years, if you are assuming Wade wouldn't of opted out at all, Wade lost $6 million but for you to say it's because of LeBron is hilarious because there is no facts to back it up. Wade signed 2 deals with the Heat AFTER LBJ had already returned to CLE.

His "employers" are the ones who have slighted him and undervalued him 2 summers in a row and by the looks of things are doing it for the THIRD summer in a row, again can't blame this summer's contract on LBJ either.

When you put the bias aside, Wade has 100% right to be pissed at the Heat organization, he was apart of 3 titles for them. Pay the man $30+ million!

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 02:39 PM
I 100% can respect your full commitment to the team aspect over a player. But you have to put any ill will you have towards LBJ aside, along with any homer-ism for the Heat franchise aside, if you want to look at this situation objectively and realistically.

This "good contract" you speak of that Wade opted out of was 2 years left at $41 million. Wade's salary for 2014-15 was set to be $20.1 million and his 2015-16 salary was set to be $21.6 million. LBJ announced on July 11th 2014 that he was going back to CLE. On July 16th 2014 Wade agreed to a 2 year deal worth $31 million, now his 2014-15 salary was $15 million with a $16 million player option for the 2015-16 season.

It was 5 days AFTER LBJ said he was going back to the Cavs that Wade and the Heat struck a new deal.. How can you blame that on LBJ? The Heat could have given him the amount he gave up AND MORE... They decided Wade wasn't worth that to them.

We now, fast forward to last summer where Wade turns down his $16 million player option and after a lot of media attention being thrown at how the Heat weren't giving Wade what he wanted, the sides agreed on a 1 year deal for the 2015-16 season at $20 million.. AGAIN, they Heat could've gave Wade more than this, he even wanted a longer deal in terms of years but the Heat decided Wade wasn't worth it to them. Not sure how this can be pinned on LBJ at all.

Over the 2 years, if you are assuming Wade wouldn't of opted out at all, Wade lost $6 million but for you to say it's because of LeBron is hilarious because there is no facts to back it up. Wade signed 2 deals with the Heat AFTER LBJ had already returned to CLE.

His "employers" are the ones who have slighted him and undervalued him 2 summers in a row and by the looks of things are doing it for the THIRD summer in a row, again can't blame this summer's contract on LBJ either.

When you put the bias aside, Wade has 100% right to be pissed at the Heat organization, he was apart of 3 titles for them. Pay the man $30+ million!

Some Heat fans always try to blame LeBron for everything.. Why didn't they blame Bosh? He's the reason they didn't make it to the NBA ECF and is the reason why Wade isn't getting more money. Wade signed for less because Heat were supposed to get more talent. Bosh was supposed to go to the Rockets but Miami just made him a ridiculous offer. If anything, Wade should be THANKING LeBron for leaving so he can finally make more money.. but instead, Heat got nothing and made Wade sacrifice money. Wade should be angry but Heat has to put the team ahead of Wade.