PDA

View Full Version : Lakers, Timofey Mozgov have agreed to four-year, $64 million deal.

NYKnickFanatic
07-01-2016, 06:37 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheVertical/status/748745960516227072

SteBO
07-01-2016, 06:43 AM
Oh good heavens....

Teeboy1487
07-01-2016, 07:03 AM
Worst signing by the Lakers in a long time. Seriously, I don't think this guy is very good at all for the minimum let alone 65 million. Truly idiots and once again prove how incompetent our FO is now. Laker fans are going to boo this guy so much.

FraziersKnicks
07-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Here we go :laugh2:

This guy forgot how to catch a ball last season. He was absolutely terrible. With the way the game is shifting to smaller, quicker lineups, his breed is dying out. All of that for $64m?!

Early front runner for worst contract of the offseason.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Of the off season? Might be the worst contract ever considering who this guy is/what he has done/his skill set and the fact he would be a 3rd string at best but YO... He is better than Lopez and its not horrid because the money has gone up :rolleyes:

Its not just the contract but the player. They are banking on defense... He had Lebron/Shumpert and others around him helping defend and had to play very few minutes.... He is about to get big minutes from the lakers with nowhere near the defensive help.. Its going to end so badly. The lakers fans and franchise deserves so much better than this

There is rumor that the 4th year is a team Option which would make this slightly better and not the most moronic signing but it would still be bad.

Teeboy1487
07-01-2016, 07:29 AM
Here we go :laugh2:

This guy forgot how to catch a ball last season. He was absolutely terrible. With the way the game is shifting to smaller, quicker lineups, his breed is dying out. All of that for $64m?!

Early front runner for worst contract of the offseason. I agree. He was so bad last year. He was the 2nd worst center in plus minus with Roy Hibbert being the worst. Like I said, I would hate this signing at veterans minimum let alone 64 million. This guy better produce or he will get booed out of LA after we had to put up with Hibbert. Lakers should have drafted Okafor.

warfelg
07-01-2016, 07:47 AM
Well at least the retained Jordan Clarkson on a good deal.

ccugrad1
Why are you people so surprised? With the cap going up like 40 million over the next 2 seasons, some of the most mediocre players in the NBA are going to get paid. It will be at the stage where every Tom, Dick, and Harry will be making 13+ million per season.

thenaj17
I agree. He was so bad last year. He was the 2nd worst center in plus minus with Roy Hibbert being the worst. Like I said, I would hate this signing at veterans minimum let alone 64 million. This guy better produce or he will get booed out of LA after we had to put up with Hibbert. Lakers should have drafted Okafor.

That's a bit harsh. I think it would have been a very good signing if the contract was $10m per just because it'd be such a bargain in the next 2-3 years of the cap going up

zookman65
07-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Why are you people so surprised? With the cap going up like 40 million over the next 2 seasons, some of the most mediocre players in the NBA are going to get paid. It will be at the stage where every Tom, Dick, and Harry will be making 13+ million per season.

You are correct but just remember that if an NBA team could find a Tom, Dick and Harry off the street that was as good as these "mediocre" players they would sign them to the league minimum. From an economic perspective the NBA GMs have calculated that there is some incremental value between a street athlete and these free agents - about 15 million or so per year appears to be the calculated value.

shep33
07-01-2016, 08:33 AM
The Clarkson signing, which I think is an absolute steal, helped me not drink this morning after the Mozzy signing.

Hope that we have a team option on Mozzy after year 2 lol

b@llhog24
07-01-2016, 08:37 AM
:laugh2:

ciaban
07-01-2016, 08:42 AM
I agree. He was so bad last year. He was the 2nd worst center in plus minus with Roy Hibbert being the worst. Like I said, I would hate this signing at veterans minimum let alone 64 million. This guy better produce or he will get booed out of LA after we had to put up with Hibbert. Lakers should have drafted Okafor.
Lol god damn it no. Okafor can score and that's really about it, they could have drafted Porzingas and I guess they really liked him, so do I, but even without Porzingas, they were right to take Russel over Oakafor.

TheDish87
07-01-2016, 08:49 AM
lol remember when LAL was an attractive destination? dark times in Laker land.

Wade n Fade
07-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Does this mean that the Lakers would bring Mozgov to any new FA meetings? Yikes, they're panic spending. Miss out on Whiteside, Derozan, Drummond, Beal, or any big time FA that signed so far. Maybe it's a Jim Buss issue, not just a Kobe in LA issue?

Wade n Fade
07-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Mazel Tov Mozgov. You have to fill in the void left by Laker Legend: Roy Hibbert.

zookman65
07-01-2016, 09:00 AM
I think the biggest issue is most of the "premium" free agents are re-signing with their teams because of the extra year and incrementally more per year max contract. It is usually a dollar and cent decision vs. basketball or destination decision

Crackadalic
07-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Mozzy went from being dunk on by blake rookie year to being worth 2 first rounders to winning a championship to getting a 4/65 deal just off averaging a point and a board in the playoffs

That's why he is the MOZGODDDDDDDDDD

McAllen Tx
07-01-2016, 09:01 AM
If the 4th year is TO this deal isn't bad (as bad) as some of you make it seem. It would be more like a 3 year $48 million deal.

So the Lakers use him for 2 years $32 million then have a $16 million expiring contract that MOST teams will be looking at with all these max contracts to mid-tier players other teams are signing.

RLundi
07-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Good heavens.

Vee-Rex
07-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Mozzy played terribly this year. David Blatt gave him a billion chances too. I'd understand if it was 10 million but even in the new cap 16m is way too big of a number.

shep33
07-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Yeah hoping this is a team option for the 4th year. That wouldn't be bad at all

Hawkeye15
07-01-2016, 09:55 AM
$16 million a year for Mosgov? Haha, I love it. I am so happy the Lakers FO is a pile of **** right now

rhymeratic
07-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Mozgov had a bad year, not necessarily a bad career. The dude isn't a total lost cause. Even still, happy my Knicks didn't resign him and that we got Noah instead.

Mozgov works as a 20 mpg player. As long as he boxes out and performs above average on pick and roll, you should be fine Laker fans.

TheNumber37
07-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Mozgov gets more money than Jordan Clarkson

Scoots
07-01-2016, 10:03 AM

So he's an upgrade!

mgjohnson7851
07-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Goodness gracious what a terrible contract.

Captain Moroni
07-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Suddenly Noah is A steal for the Knicks

Chronz
07-01-2016, 10:36 AM
lol at some of the responses in here. Lakers Legend Roy Hibbert haha

Why wouldn't the Lakers just trade for and develop their own center at this cost. I guess they gotta hit the floor tho

Vinylman
07-01-2016, 10:40 AM
lol at some of the responses in here. Lakers Legend Roy Hibbert haha

Why wouldn't the Lakers just trade for and develop their own center at this cost. I guess they gotta hit the floor tho

no... no they don't ... and there are many better ways to get to the floor in this market like taking on another teams **** deal rather than creating a **** deal...

Mitch and Jimbaco don't get it and never will... they created a market for a guy who there was a limited market for and zero market for at that price.

Chronz
07-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Hearing news that Pau was an option they didn't pursue, why do they hate the guy?

DR_1
07-01-2016, 10:58 AM
:facepalm:

kobe4thewinbang
07-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Can someone please explain this signing to me? I feel like we got Chris Kaman again...for 16 million.

I understand not even trying to lure the hot tickets that aren't likely to be interested, but surely there's somebody better than Mosgov out there. I'd rather have Dwight again. Yeah, I said it.

Whiteside didn't seem likely, but wow. He's not a scrub, but golly.

So now they got Clarkson at 12 million and Mosgov at 16. How much money left? And they still got Nick Young.

:(

jerellh528
no... no they don't ... and there are many better ways to get to the floor in this market like taking on another teams **** deal rather than creating a **** deal...

Mitch and Jimbaco don't get it and never will... they created a market for a guy who there was a limited market for and zero market for at that price.

I've heard the Warriors offered him 3 years 50 million, it only took and extra year and 14 million to outbid them. We're setting market prices over here!

Vinylman
Hearing news that Pau was an option they didn't pursue, why do they hate the guy?

no **** ... I would rather have given Pau $20 million per year for two years with an opt out after 1 year

kobe4thewinbang
07-01-2016, 11:08 AM
I mean, why not Ezeli? I know GS threw a qualifying offer, but Ezeli > Mosgov, am I right?

Vinylman
07-01-2016, 11:08 AM
I've heard the Warriors offered him 3 years 50 million, it only took and extra year and 14 million to outbid them. We're setting market prices over here!

huh? why would they do that?

and they don't even have that much cap without renouncing guys...

jerellh528
07-01-2016, 11:14 AM
I mean, why not Ezeli? I know GS threw a qualifying offer, but Ezeli > Mosgov, am I right?

I don't know, but apparently the Spurs and Warriors were both after mozgov and the lakers have been "scouting" him all year. I don't know what they see in him, but I'd have to think this is more about the things he does well like PnR and defending spots ups, and PnR bigs, over going with a "name guy" that us laymen fans think would make sense or fit better. I've been hating on this signing for a while, but it's like 11 million equivalent to yesterday's money, and next year it'll be equivalent to a 9 million per yr. That's basically backup big money.

jerellh528
07-01-2016, 11:15 AM
huh? why would they do that?

and they don't even have that much cap without renouncing guys...

Have no clue, it was in the Warriors sub Reddit

lakerfan85
07-01-2016, 11:18 AM
I don't know, but apparently the Spurs and Warriors were both after mozgov and the lakers have been "scouting" him all year. I don't know what they see in him, but I'd have to think this is more about the things he does well like PnR and defending spots ups, and PnR bigs, over going with a "name guy" that us laymen fans think would make sense or fit better. I've been hating on this signing for a while, but it's like 11 million equivalent to yesterday's money, and next year it'll be equivalent to a 9 million per yr. That's basically backup big money.

Was the scout blind? That could explain a lot of things..

lakerfan85
07-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Pau would've been perfect for the young Laker players..

jerellh528
07-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Was the scout blind? That could explain a lot of things..

Possibly

kobe4thewinbang
07-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Was the scout blind? That could explain a lot of things..Ditto. I got Cavs fans scratching their heads, saying Cavs were clearly better with Mosgov on the bench. And they put him there in the Finals.

Slug3
07-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Can someone please explain this signing to me? I feel like we got Chris Kaman again...for 16 million.

I understand not even trying to lure the hot tickets that aren't likely to be interested, but surely there's somebody better than Mosgov out there. I'd rather have Dwight again. Yeah, I said it.

Whiteside didn't seem likely, but wow. He's not a scrub, but golly.

So now they got Clarkson at 12 million and Mosgov at 16. How much money left? And they still got Nick Young.

:(

Who knows, maybe Lakers want to let the young talent develop and know they are going to be bad for a few more years and need to at least reach the salary cap floor so they gave someone money to suck along with them. All I can get out of it.

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2016, 11:50 AM
:laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

kobe4thewinbang
07-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Who knows, maybe Lakers want to let the young talent develop and know they are going to be bad for a few more years and need to at least reach the salary cap floor so they gave someone money to suck along with them. All I can get out of it.Yeah but they'll develop struggling instead of having a good player to help them. Nobody on the team knows what winning feels like. Losing culture.

tp13baby
07-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Watched him all the time in Denver. Lakers getting him might be to get to the minimum? I dont know there contrsct situation.

Mozzy isnt terrible. His hands are bricks, but he is a better defender than his plus minus indicates. Solid passer, decent post up guy. Not wprth 16 mil though. I say 12.

Heediot
07-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Should of just went back for Dwight.

hugepatsfan
07-01-2016, 01:08 PM
https://twitter.com/i/moments/748888285607555072

lol

S & B Bleeder
07-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Terrible signing.

Pau, who wouldve really helped the young core develop, was available and willing to come back-and you sign MozSloth instead?

Makes total sense if you're a dumbshit-OR Jim Buss and Kupchak. Same difference.

These twin idiots just created an ENTIRE new pay ceiling for bench riding 3rd stringers in the NBA. Congrats, dipshits.

Aust
07-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Does this mean that the Lakers would bring Mozgov to any new FA meetings? Yikes, they're panic spending. Miss out on Whiteside, Derozan, Drummond, Beal, or any big time FA that signed so far. Maybe it's a Jim Buss issue, not just a Kobe in LA issue?

Is it really missing out when all those FA resigned with their teams?

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 01:37 PM
So Lakers couldn't find a way to get rid of D-Russell to the Sixers for Noel/Okafor or something but instead, they go ahead and spend $16 million on a center who saw less minutes than Channing Frye? LOL... @Dodgers&Lakers, I frickin told you this management is on drugs. They are just ********. There's no ifs and buts about that. He literally dips his hands in oil before every game.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Lol this is hilarious. It's tough to find humor right now as a Kings fan, but at least the Lakers are enjoyable to laugh at right now.

S & B Bleeder
07-01-2016, 01:57 PM
So Lakers couldn't find a way to get rid of D-Russell to the Sixers for Noel/Okafor or something but instead, they go ahead and spend $16 million on a center who saw less minutes than Channing Frye? LOL.

The irony here is that the twin dipshits COULDVE DRAFTED Okafor last year....and passed on him for D-Russ. Because ZOMG we got HIBBERT!

:bang:

The script is filled with so much idiocy that you'd be thrown out of any hollywood studio if you tried to peddle it as 'real life'.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 02:01 PM
The irony here is that the twin dipshits COULDVE DRAFTED Okafor last year....and passed on him for D-Russ. Because ZOMG we got HIBBERT!

:bang:

The script is filled with so much idiocy that you'd be thrown out of any hollywood studio if you tried to peddle it as 'real life'.

I was telling DODGERS&LAKERS that the Lakers are just a mess. Luke Walton looks like he won't change much.. it's tough to say how much he can possibly change when you have Curry+Klay+Draymond and a beast roster overall but really, what the hell is going on there? I'm not sure this guy is even better than Roy Hibbert.. At least Hibbert can speak English?? Idk...

tredigs
07-01-2016, 02:03 PM
The worst part that i'm seeing reported now is that the Lakers have effectively removed their chances at signing 2 max free agents in '17. With their current young talent, that would have been a HUGE incentive for them in free agency. I mean, Griffin and Westbrook were on the table. Same with guys like Gordon Hayward and even Giannis. Sucks to leave all that possibility of enticement in forming a free-agent duo (making one free agent much more likely to sign if they're joining another big time player who can help them win) by the wayside for Tim ****ing Mozgov? I just do NOT get it at all. He may help them win 5 more games (I'm being extremely generous) than a replacement level min big. And then what? He's not a marketing presence. He's past his prime. I mean, just makes no sense. They are being sabotaged from within. As strange as it sounds, I'm ready for the Lakers to be good again, and it's just not going to happen any time soon.

nycericanguy
07-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Worst contract I have ever seen in the history of professional sports...lol.

The funny thing is, they made this deal at 12:01 am like they had been plotting this as their big move and like Mosgov had meetings lined up like Durant...lol.

I could sorrrrtttaaa maybe understood if they missed out on everyone and decided to throw a big deal at him, but even then... FOUR years?...lol

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Worst contract I have ever seen in the history of professional sports...lol.

The funny thing is, they made this deal at 12:01 am like they had been plotting this as their big move and like Mosgov had meetings lined up like Durant...lol.

I could sorrrrtttaaa maybe understood if they missed out on everyone and decided to throw a big deal at him, but even then... FOUR years?...lol

Lmao.. don't be surprised if Mosgov was waiting on the phone and the Lakers were the first to call his agent with this stupid offer. Sad that the Lakers has turned to this. They should get Kobe in there to manage this team. It can't get worse than this.

S & B Bleeder
07-01-2016, 02:16 PM
but really, what the hell is going on there? I'm not sure this guy is even better than Roy Hibbert.. At least Hibbert can speak English?? Idk...

So true. Im crying laughing over here....

In a nutshell, the problem is this: Spoiled rich children got the keys to the Ferrari and promptly fired the pit crew (coaches, scouts, ect) that kept it winning races and hired a backyard mechanic who can barely change the oil (chaz the bartender, other friends) It now has a cracked engine block, and is puking radiator fluid everywhere.

So naturally the new ownership went and got new expensive tires for it. :laugh:

But hey, it still looks beautiful on the outside with gorgeous red paint and a rich racing history (Sunny LA)

Just dont ask it to compete.....OR win. Because it isnt doing either until a new engine block is put in (ownership) and the radiator is replaced and flushed (GM).

The Buss kids have literally 'Chit the Bed'.

DboneG
07-01-2016, 03:57 PM
You guy are fun ny! What were the Lakers thinking signing this guy so early?! And for so much money?! lol

But, he's not that bad. I just wouldn't have signed him so soon! And for that amount of money. Dang!

He's going to do well for the Lakers.

Chronz
07-01-2016, 04:05 PM
The only redeeming factor is that he will definitely play better than he did this past year simply because hes further removed from surgery and will play on a team not expected to do ****. The downside is he will likely never play as well as he did when he was alongside LeBron and thats what it would take to justify his dollar amount.

Gibby23
07-01-2016, 04:09 PM
The only redeeming factor is that he will definitely play better than he did this past year simply because hes further removed from surgery and will play on a team not expected to do ****. The downside is he will likely never play as well as he did when he was alongside LeBron and thats what it would take to justify his dollar amount.

In this market, the dollar amount is justified. Everyone is getting overpaid.

Tony_Starks
07-01-2016, 04:09 PM
At least Brian Shaw is familiar with him. May be able to get something out of him. With our focus on the youth movement all they really want from the center is to board, block, occasional post and most importantly not be Hibbert.

I see this as part of tandem center plan, with another to come.

At least that's what I hope they're doing....

Clint Olbrock
07-01-2016, 04:10 PM
The contract may not be great but the dude used to be a great rim protector, especially when he first arrived to the Cavs. He probably still has it in him to alter shots at the rim, he's not so much a high BPG big. He just uses the rule of verticality well.

Chronz
07-01-2016, 05:17 PM
In this market, the dollar amount is justified. Everyone is getting overpaid.
I still find it an overpay based on his level of play this year, potential wise, you might be right, we'll see. I wouldn't have taken the risk unless I knew I had to reach the salary floor.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2016, 05:37 PM

another downside is the last couple years of his contract, he projects a Dampier like impact from his early/mid 30's. Which isn't terrible, but not worth 13-17% of your cap either.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2016, 05:38 PM
I still find it an overpay based on his level of play this year, potential wise, you might be right, we'll see. I wouldn't have taken the risk unless I knew I had to reach the salary floor.

why not reach the salary floor with 1-2 year deals and let the young roster cook for another season, and try again next summer? This effectively takes them out of offering an additional max deal next summer.

hugepatsfan
07-01-2016, 05:45 PM
why not reach the salary floor with 1-2 year deals and let the young roster cook for another season, and try again next summer? This effectively takes them out of offering an additional max deal next summer.

I'm pretty sure they have room for an additional max this summer but no one, not even one player, will talk tot hem because they suck ***. If they just do 1 year deals it will be the same thing next year. Maybe a little better because D-Lo/Ingram could show a lot of promise but I doubt either come in as all-stars capable of drawing players. They'll just get turned down again. They need to add pieces to restore credibility.

Hawkeye15
07-01-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure they have room for an additional max this summer but no one, not even one player, will talk tot hem because they suck ***. If they just do 1 year deals it will be the same thing next year. Maybe a little better because D-Lo/Ingram could show a lot of promise but I doubt either come in as all-stars capable of drawing players. They'll just get turned down again. They need to add pieces to restore credibility.

I don't disagree with that necessarily, but Mosgov isn't the answer.

beasted86
07-01-2016, 05:58 PM
At this price I'm scared what Biyombo, Mahinmi, and Jordan Hill will get

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

beasted86
07-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Matter of fact what will JaVale Mcgee get. $18M/per?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

KingJudah
07-01-2016, 06:10 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheVertical/status/748745960516227072

This is a bad signing. Way over paid for a average player.

Gibby23
07-01-2016, 06:23 PM

They can't worry about that, they just need players to play with the kids. If someone does want to come next year, there likely will be a new CBA and an amnesty provision, they can always use that.

hugepatsfan
07-01-2016, 06:38 PM
I don't disagree with that necessarily, but Mosgov isn't the answer.

I agree but it's tough. The market is just so bloated that to sign players who restore you to some level of credibility takes deals like this.

The thing is, I think for them to expect to be players next year is too ambitious. I think they need a couple of seasons to build. I say they're 2-3 years away from being ready to start trying to really win again.

Teeboy1487
07-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Awful signing. Hopefully there is a team option somewhere in the contract. The Lakers seriously overpaid for him. Even at full health, I did not think he is worth 64 mil. Honestly, I don't mind Mosgov but not for 64 mil.

Gibby23
07-01-2016, 06:42 PM
I agree but it's tough. The market is just so bloated that to sign players who restore you to some level of credibility takes deals like this.

The thing is, I think for them to expect to be players next year is too ambitious. I think they need a couple of seasons to build. I say they're 2-3 years away from being ready to start trying to really win again.

Exactly, i say about 2 or 3 year to start winning.

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 06:48 PM
The thing is, he got paid like a starter when he is a bench player. He's a good burst for 20-25 minutes but you don't get much other than size and some rebounds. He has slippery hands and misses the easiest shots you won't believe. He makes Rubio's layup misses look beautiful. $8 million is a good price for him but man, I have no idea what the Lakers saw in him to get them over the hump. It's an odd pairing.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2016, 08:15 PM

I haven't seen one contract yet that the player justifies his dollar amount. Maybe other than Clarkson

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 08:22 PM
I haven't seen one contract yet that the player justifies his dollar amount. Maybe other than Clarkson

Al Jefferson. $10 million.

Chronz
07-01-2016, 08:28 PM

Lin. Heard Pau was in play too. And some guys are getting overpaid but have had far better RS imo. Mozzy was literally a detriment to the Cavs

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Al Jefferson. $10 million.
Thats right. That was a really good deal for Indy. I see them in ECF next year if Durant stays west.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Lin. Heard Pau was in play too. And some guys are getting overpaid but have had far better RS imo. Mozzy was literally a detriment to the Cavs

Last year yes he was. But I think the Lakers are chalking it up to his knee surgery. They are looking for their version of Bogut. I would have preferred they took Bogut and a pick if Golden's State could land Durant but I don't think that's going to happen.

flea
07-01-2016, 09:16 PM
What's the deal with Hibbert's contract? Weird to pay so much for a role playing center when you're a garbage team. It's not the worst fit in the world because he's a rim protector, rebounder, and screener when healthy. But he's also not a big minute guy, any semblance of a scorer, or a particularly versatile player.

If this were the Blazers or Mavericks I would understand it because I think Mozgov is a perfectly good player - but IDK about the Lakers. I guess it's worth rolling the dice for a rich franchise that Ingram/Clarkson become P&R valuable and Randle/Ingram become good scorers in the next 4 years.

Millsy
07-02-2016, 09:26 AM
The next thing you know the Laker will sign Luol Deng for $72M 😂 just to send fans over the edge.