PDA

View Full Version : Can Brooklyn trade for their pick back?

da ThRONe
06-29-2016, 05:07 PM
The Nets are in a terrible position. The roster is talent depleted and to make matters worse they don't own their 2017 pick. Then you have the Celtics who are in win now mode. The assumed plan was that they would package all their future asset for a all-star caliber player. That didn't quite work out. The Nets only value player IS center Brook Lopez and center is a need for Celtics. So if Boston happens to strike out in free agency would they be interested in a deal taking in Lopez and giving Brooklyn back it's 2017 pick? Is there a rule that prevents a team from getting it's pick back?

North Yorker
06-29-2016, 05:10 PM
They could try, but I doubt Boston would do it. There are better trade targets out there than Brook Lopez.

Green_Monster
06-29-2016, 05:14 PM
I don't think Boston would trade either the 2017 right to swap or 2018 pick for anything on the Nets roster. Maybe if they include a couple future first round picks. ;)

GiantsSwaGG
06-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Where's ChillWill & DoMeFavors? It's like all the Nets fans disappeared

da ThRONe
06-29-2016, 05:25 PM
I don't think Boston would trade either the 2017 right to swap or 2018 pick for anything on the Nets roster. Maybe if they include a couple future first round picks. ;)

It would probably require Boston to strike out on most if not all the marquee FA's. Plus Brooklyn would probably have to take Amir Johnson's contract.

IndyRealist
06-29-2016, 05:26 PM
There is no rule against it. I seem to recall this happened not too long ago.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2016, 05:38 PM
I think BOS would consider giving up the 2018 pick for Lopez - depending on who we and they sign in FA this year. Not next year's though.

TheMightyHumph
06-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Celtics are entitled to swap 1st rd picks with Nets in 2017

tp13baby
06-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Brook isn't worth what I would assume ends up being a top 5 pick at worst, very good chance to be the top overall pick.

da ThRONe
06-29-2016, 07:08 PM
Brook isn't worth what I would assume ends up being a top 5 pick at worst, very good chance to be the top overall pick.

I think what Brooklyn will be aggressive in free agency without there pick. Not to say that'll it will improve the team but right now without their pick and so much cap space there's no reward for being terrible the next couple years.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2016, 07:12 PM
I think what Brooklyn will be aggressive in free agency without there pick. Not to say that'll it will improve the team but right now without their pick and so much cap space there's no reward for being terrible the next couple years.

I'm sure they will. But there's so much money around the NBA that everyone is going to get overpaid. So I expect the top guys to all choose to get overpaid in more desirable spots. BRK will have their pick of the scraps though because there's no disincentive for them not to overpay role players.

Example is a guy like Rondo who doesn't figure to draw a big market. BRK will be able to land him. But a guy like Crabbe who they're after figures to have other teams just as willing to overpay him that offer a lot better situations.

da ThRONe
06-29-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm sure they will. But there's so much money around the NBA that everyone is going to get overpaid. So I expect the top guys to all choose to get overpaid in more desirable spots. BRK will have their pick of the scraps though because there's no disincentive for them not to overpay role players.

Example is a guy like Rondo who doesn't figure to draw a big market. BRK will be able to land him. But a guy like Crabbe who they're after figures to have other teams just as willing to overpay him that offer a lot better situations.

My point is they aren't shoe ins to be awful this year. So it's difficult to really gauge how valuable next year pick is going to be.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2016, 07:51 PM
My point is they aren't shoe ins to be awful this year. So it's difficult to really gauge how valuable next year pick is going to be.

Unless they land great FAs they are a shoe-in to be awful. That team flat out sucks. They have Lopez, Hollis-Jefferson and no one else that belongs in an NBA rotation except Bogdanovich on the back end. Lopez is injury prone and Jefferson isn't anything special himself.

There ain't no low or even mid-tier FA that's saving that roster. They could sign Rondo, Crabbe and another 2 mid-tier FAs and they'll still be amongst the worst teams in the NBA. They could possibly get above the absolute cellar, but there's really no way they're not a terrible team next year.

TheMightyHumph
06-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Unless they land great FAs they are a shoe-in to be awful. That team flat out sucks. They have Lopez, Hollis-Jefferson and no one else that belongs in an NBA rotation except Bogdanovich on the back end. Lopez is injury prone and Jefferson isn't anything special himself.

There ain't no low or even mid-tier FA that's saving that roster. They could sign Rondo, Crabbe and another 2 mid-tier FAs and they'll still be amongst the worst teams in the NBA. They could possibly get above the absolute cellar, but there's really no way they're not a terrible team next year.

We shall see

FlashBolt
06-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Nets really screwed themselves with D.Williams, Pierce, and Garnett... What were they thinking lol...

Ty Fast
06-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Nets really screwed themselves with D.Williams, Pierce, and Garnett... What were they thinking lol...

They also traded a 1st for Gereld Wallace and that pick turned out to be Damian Lillard

da ThRONe
06-29-2016, 10:48 PM

Don't get me wrong the likelihood of the Nets drafting outside the bottom of the lottery isn't great. At the same time whoever thought Portland would make the Playoffs last year? Players develop, players regress, and/or other teams sustain injuries. Nets could pull the right combination of scrap that works under it's new coach. Brooklyn doesn't have to be world beaters or even a playoff team to significantly lower the value of that pick .

hugepatsfan
06-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Don't get me wrong the likelihood of the Nets drafting outside the bottom of the lottery isn't great. At the same time whoever thought Portland would make the Playoffs last year? Players develop, players regress, and/or other teams sustain injuries. Nets could pull the right combination of scrap that works under it's new coach. Brooklyn doesn't have to be world beaters or even a playoff team to significantly lower the value of that pick .

Nothing is ever guaranteed. You're absolutely right. But it's a looooooong shot that BRK isn't close to the bottom of the lottery. POR had a lot of talented young guys who progressed and an elite player in Liliard. BRK has neither. Also, look at the other lottery teams...

PHI... Trying to improve in FA and already added a top rookie
LAL... Trying to improve in FA and already added a top rookie
PHX... They probably still suck
MIN.... Might push for the playoffs, TBH
NO... SHoud be better with a healthy AD and they kind of underachieved last year
DEN... Good young roster that's actually a great candidate to be this year's POR
SAC... Dumpster fire organization. I bet they suck too
NYK... Trying hard to improve in FA and will have a healthy Melo hopefully
MIL... Not that bad a team
ORL... Not that bad a team
UT... Will push for playoffs
WAS... Not that bad a team
CHI... Should fall further back but not all the way down

I just realistically don't see BRK being better than any of those teams but PHX and maybe still PHI/LA depending on what they do in FA. I could be wrong but that's just how I see it most likely playing out. Even with the FAs they figure to sign those other teams still have more room to improve IMO.

We'll see though, that's why they play the games.

bucketss
06-30-2016, 02:31 PM
holy **** nets are screwed.

JOSKOMANG4
06-30-2016, 04:48 PM
Nets still have their 1st round pick. The only deal they made with Boston is the right to swap picks(depending on the better record). But i do agree, i believe they should talk to the Celtics about a trading involving Brook Lopez going to the celtics for F/C A.Johnson, G A.Bradley, & their 2018 1st rd pick.

C: Lopez/Horford/Crowder/Turner/Thomas.

As for the Nets, after relinquishing the contract of brook lopez, they should have Money to blow. I'd offer Dwight howard(20mill per), Chandler Parsons(17.5per) & J.Lin(11 mill).

Lineup: Howard/??/Parsons/Bradley/Lin

TheMightyHumph
06-30-2016, 05:37 PM
Nets still have their 1st round pick. The only deal they made with Boston is the right to swap picks(depending on the better record). But i do agree, i believe they should talk to the Celtics about a trading involving Brook Lopez going to the celtics for F/C A.Johnson, G A.Bradley, & their 2018 1st rd pick.

As for the Nets, after relinquishing the contract of brook lopez, they should have Money to blow. I'd offer Dwight howard(20mill per), Chandler Parsons(17.5per) & J.Lin(11 mill).

Don't see Nets trading Lopez. Really hope Nets don't go after Howard. Parsons and Lin will probably be more expensive than that.

mrblisterdundee
06-30-2016, 08:18 PM
Brook Lopez is, at best, the fourth- or fifth- best option for Boston at center. He has to prove he can stay healthy.
The Nets are stuck developing the young talent they have and trying to gasp! make smart signings and trades.
I read a story saying the Nets should try to rekindle Linsanity in New York City. That seems like a decent place to start, as long as they don't overpay him.

TheMightyHumph
06-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Brook Lopez is, at best, the fourth- or fifth- best option for Boston at center. He has to prove he can stay healthy.
The Nets are stuck developing the young talent they have and trying to gasp! make smart signings and trades.
I read a story saying the Nets should try to rekindle Linsanity in New York City. That seems like a decent place to start, as long as they don't overpay him.

We Net fans have got to see how Sean Marks is going to approach Free Agency.

I would be REALLY, REALLY surprised if Nets traded Lopez, but anything can happen.

I'd like them to sign Kris Humphries. He should take a reasonable salary. Nets have only two bigmen right now, and one of them ain't that big.

mrblisterdundee
06-30-2016, 09:09 PM
We Net fans have got to see how Sean Marks is going to approach Free Agency.

I would be REALLY, REALLY surprised if Nets traded Lopez, but anything can happen.

I'd like them to sign Kris Humphries. He should take a reasonable salary. Nets have only two bigmen right now, and one of them ain't that big.

If the Nets can trade Lopez for some young assets, they need to get that done. He's already 28 and has "injury prone" written all over him. Even if he stays healthy, he doesn't fit the Nets' trajectory at all.

TheMightyHumph
07-01-2016, 12:21 AM
If the Nets can trade Lopez for some young assets, they need to get that done. He's already 28 and has "injury prone" written all over him. Even if he stays healthy, he doesn't fit the Nets' trajectory at all.

I wouldn't say Brook is injury prone

missionh1llpart
07-01-2016, 01:39 AM

Amir Johnson, Avery Bradley and a top 5 pick for an aging injuring prone Brook Lopez?! LOL! That would be a rip off for Boston even if it was just 2 out of the 3.

Green_Monster
07-01-2016, 02:48 PM

Danny Ainge laughs at that offer.

imagesrdecievin
07-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Danny Ainge laughs at every offer that doesn't come from that buffoon Billy King. And that's why in spite of wanting to flip a pick for a vet he wasn't able to make a move.

hugepatsfan
07-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Danny Ainge laughs at every offer that doesn't come from that buffoon Billy King. And that's why in spite of wanting to flip a pick for a vet he wasn't able to make a move.

In some ways he's aggressive but in other ways he's super, super patient. Rumor is that CHI wanted #3/Bradley/Crowder/next year's BRK pick for Butler. If Ainge did that move but no FAs come then what good is IT/Butler with nothing else? That gets you no where.

The problem Ainge has had is that he just hasn't had a centerpiece asset. He probably could have swung deals by now but because he lacks the headliner he'd have to unload everything to get the other team to bite and that screw him over long-term. They need something to break their way...

One of these next 2 BRK picks could conceivably give them that headliner to trade.

They have double max cap space this year and if they don't use it he probably saves it for next year.

They have a package of good assets where if another team gets stuck in a bad spot and has to trade a great (but not elite) before he expires they're in good position to pounce.

So they have a multi-pronged approach to taking the next step. Any way you can build a team they're able to. Right now it's a waiting game before something comes up that works for them.

This is just their third offseason after a teardown. And for the offseason after the teardown they really were still working to completely tear it down (Jeff Green, Rondo). BOS's timeline appears accelerated because Stevens is such an amazing coach who's gotten so much out of his teams but talent wise they're really still in rebuilding mode. With that Nets trade though they just don't feel the need to do the tanking themselves.

Green_Monster
07-02-2016, 11:24 AM

There wasn't a trade for a veteran on the table that made sense. The package that Chicago was supposedly asking for was too much for Butler. It has nothing to do with him overplaying his hand and wanting too much. He played it perfectly. That's why he had that offer from the 76'ers on the table, he just didn't take it because they really like Jaylen Brown.

They're fine either way. They still have two Nets picks, and the Nets should be terrible for at least a couple more years, if not several.

bitemebx
07-02-2016, 12:36 PM
The Nets are in a terrible position. The roster is talent depleted and to make matters worse they don't own their 2017 pick. Then you have the Celtics who are in win now mode. The assumed plan was that they would package all their future asset for a all-star caliber player. That didn't quite work out. The Nets only value player IS center Brook Lopez and center is a need for Celtics. So if Boston happens to strike out in free agency would they be interested in a deal taking in Lopez and giving Brooklyn back it's 2017 pick? Is there a rule that prevents a team from getting it's pick back?

SORRY, Brook Lopez is not the super star Boston is looking for. Nets are dumb for trading 4 first round picks for grandpa Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett..

http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/5/9/8577205/how-bad-the-brooklyn-nets-draft-pick-situation-here-ya-go

TheMightyHumph
07-02-2016, 02:32 PM
SORRY, Brook Lopez is not the super star Boston is looking for. Nets are dumb for trading 4 first round picks for grandpa Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett..

Can't wait to see where Billy King winds up next.

da ThRONe
07-02-2016, 06:33 PM

http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/5/9/8577205/how-bad-the-brooklyn-nets-draft-pick-situation-here-ya-go

I don't recall saying Lopez was a superstar Boston's waiting on. He's a piece much like Boston wants to secure Horford to aid in their pitch to recruit Durant. Boston would still have other pieces to negotiate a trade for a superstar if one were to become available.

imagesrdecievin
07-03-2016, 12:25 PM
King was on nbatv saying that the Celtics future is bright. Lmfao - ya think Billy? I wonder why that might be!

shyhj
07-03-2016, 11:30 PM
They could try, but I doubt Boston would do it. There are better trade targets out there than Brook Lopez.http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/27.gifhttp://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/6.gif
http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/4.gif

da ThRONe
07-04-2016, 06:59 AM
They could try, but I doubt Boston would do it. There are better trade targets out there than Brook Lopez.http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/27.gifhttp://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/6.gif
http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/4.gif

Agreed however are they going to be able to trade for them? They've tried and failed so far. The potential is there for Ainge to over play his hand and get stuck with all these assets which time lines that doesn't If Anyone with the core players he has. If Brooklyn is competitive this year the ability to swap picks with the Nets isn't nearly as valuable at that point as it is today and that goes for Brooklyn 2018 pick. If Jaylen Brown has an awful season his stock won't be as valuable a year or two from now. The longer this plays out the chances this goes wrong for Boston increases. Not that trading for Lopez is the C's best move persa as much as it's a move that allows then to get immediate value for an asset/s that can seriously fluctuate in one year. In fact giving Brooklyn incentives to tank this year increases the value of that 2018 pick they have.

hugepatsfan
07-04-2016, 07:50 AM
Agreed however are they going to be able to trade for them? They've tried and failed so far. The potential is there for Ainge to over play his hand and get stuck with all these assets which time lines that doesn't If Anyone with the core players he has. If Brooklyn is competitive this year the ability to swap picks with the Nets isn't nearly as valuable at that point as it is today and that goes for Brooklyn 2018 pick. If Jaylen Brown has an awful season his stock won't be as valuable a year or two from now. The longer this plays out the chances this goes wrong for Boston increases. Not that trading for Lopez is the C's best move persa as much as it's a move that allows then to get immediate value for an asset/s that can seriously fluctuate in one year. In fact giving Brooklyn incentives to tank this year increases the value of that 2018 pick they have.

Well of course, there's upside and downside in everything. And the value fluctuates. Think about it... at the deadline it was rumored that BOS offered the BRK pick this year + more for Okafor (even though they preferred Noel) and got rejected. 2 weeks ago Noel + more for the BRK got rejected by BOS themselves.

There's always a chance it goes "wrong" for BOS. BRK could end up being great. But you don't just cower like w wimp and give the pick up because you're scared. You consider upside and downside not just one. Brook Lopez simply isn't enough value to give up the upside or even consider it really.

da ThRONe
07-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Well of course, there's upside and downside in everything. And the value fluctuates. Think about it... at the deadline it was rumored that BOS offered the BRK pick this year + more for Okafor (even though they preferred Noel) and got rejected. 2 weeks ago Noel + more for the BRK got rejected by BOS themselves.

There's always a chance it goes "wrong" for BOS. BRK could end up being great. But you don't just cower like w wimp and give the pick up because you're scared. You consider upside and downside not just one. Brook Lopez simply isn't enough value to give up the upside or even consider it really.

Again you are determining value on an asset that's very volatile. There's a lot of leeway between playing it safe and cowering like a wimp. So Brook Lopez may not be worth a top 5 pick in next draft but he's likely to be better than pick 10-15 especially if Boston is trying to win sooner rather than later.