PDA

View Full Version : Bold but realistic free agency predictions (team and contract amount)

RLundi
06-28-2016, 01:04 PM
I was inspired by another thread on the NBA forum on free agency predictions. That was a great write-up and I could see a lot of those scenarios occurring. But I want to be a little bolder and stray from the merely safe picks and rumors being currently heard. I won't make a prediction just to make a prediction, especially one that is unrealistic, but this is just to broaden horizons a bit into the underreported realm of possibility. I've also chosen not to include restricted free agents, as I'm nearly positive most (if not all) of those offers will be matched. So without further ado, here are my bold but realistic free agency predictions:

1. Kevin Durant (2 years, $51M with player option, New York Knicks)- as much as the idea of Durant going to the Warriors or Spurs is the most interesting and all the rage, I think Knicks make too much sense here. With Melo hard at work recruiting him, the lure of New York, the chance to unite with a hopefully reinvigorated Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook's almost-certain impending departure, and a highly-regarded coach, I think the Knicks have a much better chance of getting Durant than they are given credit for, scheduled meetings aside.

2. LeBron James (1 year, $31M, Cleveland Cavaliers)- it's difficult to be bold on this one, as LeBron is nearly certain to return. The terms of the contract can be somewhat in question, and I can see LeBron signing a one-year max contract instead of a two-year deal with a player option. Not much boldness here folks though, he's returning.

3. Mike Conley (4 years, $92M, Houston Rockets)- Conley is exactly the calming presence Houston needs at the 1. Beverly and Lawson were subpar at the point position last year and Conley is just the low-key, skilled player needed to rein in Harden a little while providing decent shooting and defense. Houston will whiff on Durant, Horford, Whiteside, and once the dust clears, they will scramble and offer a contract to Conley, who will view that situation as the best chance to compete and have access to starter's minutes.

4. Hassan Whiteside (4 years, $95M, Dallas Mavericks)- there is a lot of chatter about the Lakers aggressively pursuing Whiteside, but their situation isn't as attractive as Dallas'. The Mavericks are viewed by players around the league as a prime free agent destination and a great franchise that does right by its players, and I think the allure of contention will be enough to sway Whiteside. The Mavs get their DeAndre Jordan-like player a year later.

5. DeMar Derozan (4 years, $100M, Los Angeles Lakers)- talks with the Raptors and Derozan are amicable at the moment, but rumblings are the Raptors are leery of investing so much money into a SG that can't exactly shoot. In an effort to save money, the Raptors will offer Derozan a contract worth less than the max, which will insult him into the arms of another team. The Lakers, after having failed to sign Horford, Whiteside, and a host of other free agents, will swoop in to pick up the pieces and offer Derozan a chance to return home.

6. Al Horford (5 years, $144M, Atlanta Hawks)- simply put, Horford loves Atlanta and wants to stay. The Hawks also love Horford and want him to stay. This is his best chance to win a championship and the incumbent Hawks team hopes to have a jolt of rejuvenation with Schroeder as their floor general. Horford will realize this Hawks team is in better position to win than the Lakers, Magic, Pistons, and Celtics.

7. Dwight Howard (4 years, $90M, Milwaukee Bucks)- Howard will find out the market for him is not as deep as he would have hoped. The Warriors, Knicks, and Hornets will court him but will offer far less than the max for him. He will keep searching for a team that will allow him to be a focal point in the offense and that will give him a palatable salary. This is where the Bucks come in. Badly in need of a defensive presence as well as veteran leadership, Milwaukee will jettison Monroe and replace him with what they believe to be a defensive anchor.

8. Dwyane Wade (2 years, $48M with player option, Miami Heat)- Wade will not get the max contract he is looking for, but he will still be handsomely rewarded for his unselfishness in prior years. Pat Riley will make up the difference when Wade retires by hiring him to a vague position in the team's front office. In the meantime, $24M a year ain't bad.

9. Nicolas Batum (4 years, $96M, Orlando Magic)- most expect the Hornets to get a contract settled quickly with Batum, who was their second-best player last season. Charlotte, however, has other free agents to consider as well, and as such, will offer Batum a 5-year, $95M contract. He will balk just enough to let the French connections to Evan Fournier and Serge Ibaka sway him into accepting the Magic's near-max offer.

10. Pau Gasol (3 years, $58M with team option, Golden State Warriors)- Gasol will relish the chance to win a championship with the Warriors, who will get an absolute steal of a contract for exactly the kind of player they need and covet.

11. Chandler Parsons (4 years, $72M, Washington Wizards)

12. Dirk Nowitzki (2 years, $36M, Dallas Mavericks)

13. Al Jefferson (3 years, $55M with team option, Charlotte Hornets)

14. Rajon Rondo (4 years, $65M, Brooklyn Nets)

15. Ryan Anderson (5 years, $84M, New Orleans Hornets)

16. Tim Duncan (1 year, $12M, San Antonio)

17. Luol Deng (2 years, $37M, Miami Heat)

18. Joakim Noah (3 years, $48M with team option, Miami Heat)

19. Jamal Crawford (2 years, $28M, San Antonio Spurs)

20. Ian Mahinmi (4 years, $60M, Boston Celtics)

Please feel free to offer feedback. Do you mostly agree or disagree? Can you see these signings happening? What are your thoughts?

PhillyFaninLA
06-28-2016, 01:26 PM
I don't see Durant going to the Knicks on a 2 year deal....it would be a full max or nothing to the Knicks.

For Durant he might go 2 years with the 2nd year opt out for OKC, but it would be a max deal anywhere else.

RLundi
06-28-2016, 01:31 PM
I don't see Durant going to the Knicks on a 2 year deal....it would be a full max or nothing to the Knicks.

For Durant he might go 2 years with the 2nd year opt out for OKC, but it would be a max deal anywhere else.

Generally, I'd agree, but for the Knicks to sell Durant to NY, he'd have to retain leverage. He'd sign 4 years with Boston or GS or SAS because they have the opportunity to be elite. NY doesn't for sure offer that, just the possibility. In order to land him, show him they can compete first, gain his trust, and convince him the cards are in his hands, I can see him being offered an opt-out clause. Yes, it leaves NY very susceptible and vulnerable, but to sign him, they may have to enter desperation mode.

tredigs
06-28-2016, 01:43 PM
As far as KD to NY, I'm not buying it. Joining a far worse team that is in turmoil/rebuilding just because it's NY? News Flash, players don't care about NY as much as the media hypes it up. What big name free agents sign there... ever? Next to zero. I actually can't think of one in my life.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-28-2016, 01:45 PM
I doubt Durant goes to NY.

^Yep.

cmellofan15
06-28-2016, 01:48 PM
As far as KD to NY, I'm not buying it. Joining a far worse team that is in turmoil/rebuilding just because it's NY? News Flash, players don't care about NY as much as the media hypes it up. What big name free agents sign there... ever? Next to zero. I actually can't think of one in my life.

yeah, but for some reason we bring it up every year lmao

RLundi
06-28-2016, 01:50 PM

Um, Melo? Lol. He WANTED to get traded there and then re-signed once he was a FA. Also, Amare Stoudemire? That's just off the top of my head without looking at anything.

Now that they have Rose and Porzingis, I'd imagine they appear much more attractive to players. Just a guess though.

nycericanguy
06-28-2016, 01:58 PM

Knicks are one of the few teams that can sign KD without having to break up their roster. GSW, SA, MIA... those teams would have to make serious moves to clear cap.

I don't get what would be bad about the KNicks roster... especially if they can also add Noah which is a strong possibility.

KP, Melo, Rose, Durant, Noah... I don't think there's any team out there with a group of 5 players like that....

IndyRealist
06-28-2016, 01:59 PM
I don't think any A or B lister is going to Houston. harden is going to get the Kobe treatment. No one's going to want to play there, and they're going to have to trade for players.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Knicks are one of the few teams that can sign KD without having to break up their roster. GSW, SA, MIA... those teams would have to make serious moves to clear cap.

I don't get what would be bad about the KNicks roster... especially if they can also add Noah which is a strong possibility.

KP, Melo, Rose, Durant, Noah... I don't think there's any team out there with a group of 5 players like that....

How is adding both a strong possibility? Durant's max is just about all the cap NY has. Unless, they plan to break up their team.....Noah is not signing for only a few mil.

I actually think about 66% of the league can sign Durant to the max with their current cap space, so NY is not 1 of the few. 1 of many. But it's NY, and we know they'll get most of the media attention when it comes to FA's and people should be used to this by now.

Hawkeye15
06-28-2016, 02:18 PM
why would KD go to NY?

nycericanguy
06-28-2016, 02:28 PM
How is adding both a strong possibility? Durant's max is just about all the cap NY has. Unless, they plan to break up their team.....Noah is not signing for only a few mil.

I actually think about 66% of the league can sign Durant to the max with their current cap space, so NY is not 1 of the few. 1 of many. But it's NY, and we know they'll get most of the media attention when it comes to FA's and people should be used to this by now.

Knicks have $35m in cap, Duran'ts max is 26, they would have to move O'quinn to offer Noah a 4/60m type deal. but Q isn't a core piece and can easily be moved.

NY is one of the few in terms of the teams that he will supposedly listen to.

IDK, I think NY with Durant and Noah woudl immediately be battling in the ECF finals...

to me their situation is more attractive than BOS or MIA, the two other east teams.

tredigs
06-28-2016, 02:32 PM
Um, Melo? Lol. He WANTED to get traded there and then re-signed once he was a FA. Also, Amare Stoudemire? That's just off the top of my head without looking at anything.

Now that they have Rose and Porzingis, I'd imagine they appear much more attractive to players. Just a guess though.

Lmao the Nuggets traded him there because they got their WHOLE TEAM. And yes I'm sure Melo (see: Lala) were fine with it, but that was not a big name free agent signing for them. So, Amare? Rose? Just stop. He's not going to jump in arms to join the 30th best PG in the NBA when he plays next to an elite one.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Knicks have $35m in cap, Duran'ts max is 26, they would have to move O'quinn to offer Noah a 4/60m type deal. but Q isn't a core piece and can easily be moved.

NY is one of the few in terms of the teams that he will supposedly listen to.

IDK, I think NY with Durant and Noah woudl immediately be battling in the ECF finals...

to me their situation is more attractive than BOS or MIA, the two other east teams.

I think KD would love the part of NY's pitch when they mention that his bench will be made up of Justin Holiday and 7 guys playing for the Vet Min.

xxplayerxx23
06-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Love the OP lol

RLundi
06-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Lmao the Nuggets traded him there because they got their WHOLE TEAM. And yes I'm sure Melo (see: Lala) were fine with it, but that was not a big name free agent signing for them. So, Amare? Rose? Just stop. He's not going to jump in arms to join the 30th best PG in the NBA when he plays next to an elite one.

At the time, Amare was a big-time free agent and he CHOSE to go there. You posed a question, and he's the answer. It doesn't matter that the Knicks traded an entire team for him as you say. The fact is Melo WANTED to go there on his own before the Nuggets traded him there. In fact, he was headed there in the offseason anyway. Denver only traded him to get something back for him. So, the lure and pull of New York was enough for both players to desire to go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxplayerxx23
06-28-2016, 02:38 PM
I think KD would love the part of NY's pitch when they mention that his bench will be made up of Justin Holiday and 7 guys playing for the Vet Min.

MLE as well. Don't think durant is to worried about the bench, not to mention I know he's not a big name but we have birds on Lance Thomas a nice 3 and D guy. Everyone loves bazmore At like 15+ mill lol but lance Thomas had a very productive year.

nycericanguy
06-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Lance Thomas is a good role player that can be retained, galloway as well and they'd have the 2.8m room exception to sign another role player.

Really though like I said, the other teams would have to gut their rosters as well.

CAVS won the title with vet mins like Jefferson and Delladova playing roles...once you have the core, the other guys are better in small roles, and vets flock.

celticsman2009
06-28-2016, 02:40 PM
15 million a year for Ian Mahinmi. No way that is happening. Plus, we wouldn't clog our cap up with that number.

RLundi
06-28-2016, 02:49 PM
I think the sheer dollar amount of some of these deals is really gonna surprise us.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-28-2016, 02:55 PM
MLE as well. Don't think durant is to worried about the bench, not to mention I know he's not a big name but we have birds on Lance Thomas a nice 3 and D guy. Everyone loves bazmore At like 15+ mill lol but lance Thomas had a very productive year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be OVER the cap once FA starts to get the MLE? Not sure how it works with the big cap jumps, but I thought that's how it always was.

Lance Thomas is a good role player that can be retained, galloway as well and they'd have the 2.8m room exception to sign another role player.

Really though like I said, the other teams would have to gut their rosters as well.

CAVS won the title with vet mins like Jefferson and Delladova playing roles...once you have the core, the other guys are better in small roles, and vets flock.

Delladova played how many minutes in the finals? And now he wants 10 Mil I read.

Thomas, Galloway. Those guys are OK player off the bench I guess, but what about the other 5 spots? Thomas, Gallo, and 2.8 in cap room is not going to lure him in in my opinion, especially when he does have to consider that Noah, Rose, and Melo don't exactly have the best history at staying healthy.

Aust
06-28-2016, 02:58 PM
OP I'll trade signing Demar for Mahinmi.

hugepatsfan
06-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Celtics salary dump James Young and RJ Hunter. Ante Zizic too if he won't stay overseas. Decline Amir Johnson/Jonas Jerebko's team options. Sign Durant/Horford to max deals. Sully is an RFA but some team will give him like $12M. We set up a S&T with that team and then incorporate NO to make it a 3 team deal where we get Ryan Anderson. If Sully is making $12M then we can give him $17M in year one. Factor in raises and that's a deal for like $18.2M/year which should do it.

Amir Johnson comes back for the room exception. Celtics sign their 2nd rounders Demetrius Jackson and Ben Bentil to minimum deals. Durant's BFF Kendrick Perkins to a vet min deal.

Starters: Thomas/Bradley/Durant/Amir/Horford
Bench: Smart/Jaylen Brown/Crowder/Anderson/Olynyk
Benchwarmers: Terry Rozier/Jordan Mickey/Kendrick Perkins/Demetrius Jackson/Ben Bentil

Get it done Danny Ainge!!!

ManRam
06-28-2016, 03:11 PM
I think the sheer dollar amount of some of these deals is really gonna surprise us.

I agree. Honestly, my first reaction was that I think some of these are too low, if anything. It's gonna take some people longer than it should to understand how contracts are going to be handed out going forward. We're in the midst of an unprecedented change. $15M is the new ~$9M. Ian Mahinmi can absolutely fetch that if the market plays out for him.

He's conservatively one of the 5 best defensive centers in the league and with starter's minutes he can get you a double double most every night. He might not get $15, but he'll get close. Only 3-4 better centers out there on the market

nycericanguy
06-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be OVER the cap once FA starts to get the MLE? Not sure how it works with the big cap jumps, but I thought that's how it always was.

Delladova played how many minutes in the finals? And now he wants 10 Mil I read.

Thomas, Galloway. Those guys are OK player off the bench I guess, but what about the other 5 spots? Thomas, Gallo, and 2.8 in cap room is not going to lure him in in my opinion, especially when he does have to consider that Noah, Rose, and Melo don't exactly have the best history at staying healthy.

well Noah or KP would probably come off the bench too. I don't think any of those 6 teams can MAX durant and still go 10 deep except for BOS, but BOS lacks the star power needed to win. I mean Isiaah Thomas is a really nice player, but not really a superstar type, and guys that are 5'8 and rely on speed generally have very short primes. I don't think Thomas is a good #2 guy next to Durant.

I'm not saying Durant is coming to NY, just don't get the idea that NY would be so far off or a rebuilding team if he did come... sure they might need to get lucky with some vet mins or restock the bench next year, but they'd be the #2 team in the east immediately if you ask me... with a legit shot to beat CLE.

hugepatsfan
06-28-2016, 03:54 PM
well Noah or KP would probably come off the bench too. I don't think any of those 6 teams can MAX durant and still go 10 deep except for BOS, but BOS lacks the star power needed to win. I mean Isiaah Thomas is a really nice player, but not really a superstar type, and guys that are 5'8 and rely on speed generally have very short primes. I don't think Thomas is a good #2 guy next to Durant.

I'm not saying Durant is coming to NY, just don't get the idea that NY would be so far off or a rebuilding team if he did come... sure they might need to get lucky with some vet mins or restock the bench next year, but they'd be the #2 team in the east immediately if you ask me... with a legit shot to beat CLE.

Any team is #2 in the East with Durant. Well, maybe not BRK and PHI but if they got Durant they'd get players with the rest of their cap space to make them #2. What you're saying isn't a selling point at all. it applies to everyone.

There are only a select few teams that go to #1 in the East with Durant. If TOR just added him they'd be #1, but to do that they need to dump significant pieces. MIA would again be #1 if you just added him, but they need to lose significant pieces. Same for ATL and CHA.

BOS is the one East team where it applies to just look at last year and add Durant. BOS can bring back the same team last year just replace Jerebko/Evan Turner with Durant/Horford. They don't have to clear anyone else. All those other teams need to make offsetting subtractions to allow for the addition of Durant. BOS is the only Eastern team that goes not to #2, but #1 with Durant.

Still, it's not as good as OKC/GS/SA are with him and ultimately he wants to win a title, not just get there. So he needs to beat the West teams anyway. So I believe he'll ultimately go to one of those 3 teams, but I think BOS is the clear-cut #4 choice and I don't think that's being a homer at all.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Not to mention rose and Noah have been very injury prone so i dont see how that's attractive to KD

nycericanguy
06-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Any team is #2 in the East with Durant. Well, maybe not BRK and PHI but if they got Durant they'd get players with the rest of their cap space to make them #2. What you're saying isn't a selling point at all. it applies to everyone.

There are only a select few teams that go to #1 in the East with Durant. If TOR just added him they'd be #1, but to do that they need to dump significant pieces. MIA would again be #1 if you just added him, but they need to lose significant pieces. Same for ATL and CHA.

BOS is the one East team where it applies to just look at last year and add Durant. BOS can bring back the same team last year just replace Jerebko/Evan Turner with Durant/Horford. They don't have to clear anyone else. All those other teams need to make offsetting subtractions to allow for the addition of Durant. BOS is the only Eastern team that goes not to #2, but #1 with Durant.

Still, it's not as good as OKC/GS/SA are with him and ultimately he wants to win a title, not just get there. So he needs to beat the West teams anyway. So I believe he'll ultimately go to one of those 3 teams, but I think BOS is the clear-cut #4 choice and I don't think that's being a homer at all.

Durant AND Horford would probably make BOS #1, but Durant alone in place of Turner? IDK, they obviously make a leap, but I still take CLE there.

I don't see how BOS could add TWO max guys and keep their whole team...

they have

Bradley 8.3m
CRowder 6.3m
Smart 3.6m
Thomas 6.6m
Olynyk 3.1m
Rozier 1.9m
Young 1.8m
Hunter 1.2m
Mickey 1.2m

Then they have Cap holds of

Zeller 6.5m
Sullinger 5.7m
Turner 4.5m

they would have to renounce Jerebko, TUrner, SUllinger & Zeller to create two max slots.

IndyRealist
06-28-2016, 04:05 PM
There is a ton of cap space out there, and teams have to spend 90% of it I believe. Some middling guys are in for big paydays.

RLundi
06-28-2016, 04:13 PM
There is a ton of cap space out there, and teams have to spend 90% of it I believe. Some middling guys are in for big paydays.

Close. The salary floor is projected to be about $84M. Teams aren't required to reach it though. They'll just have to make up the difference by dividing it among the players they already have if they fall short of the floor.

nycericanguy
06-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Close. The salary floor is projected to be about $84M. Teams aren't required to reach it though. They'll just have to make up the difference by dividing it among the players they already have if they fall short of the floor.

never liked that rule, I understand not wanting cheap owners to pocket the money. But instead of giving millionaire players unearned salary bonuses, why not make the owners contribute the money to their city or a local charity? Or even reflected in ticket discounts? Help improve the cities they play in and the cities that support them!

hugepatsfan
06-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Durant AND Horford would probably make BOS #1, but Durant alone in place of Turner? IDK, they obviously make a leap, but I still take CLE there.

they have

Bradley 8.3m
CRowder 6.3m
Smart 3.6m
Thomas 6.6m
Olynyk 3.1m
Rozier 1.9m
Young 1.8m
Hunter 1.2m
Mickey 1.2m

Zeller 6.5m
Sullinger 5.7m
Turner 4.5m

they would have to renounce Jerebko, TUrner, SUllinger & Zeller to create two max slots.

Turner would be renounced since he's being replaced by Durant. Zeller fell out of the rotation to bench scrub so no loss renouncing him based on the guys who actually contributed last year. Amir/Jerebko do need to be bought out but one you could try and bring back for the room exception. Sully doesn't have to be renounced for two maxes...

The 9 guys you showed as under contract total $33,971,630. We also have a $3,952,500 cap hold for Jaylen Brown. Our other 1st rounders will play overseas. So our total cap commitment is $37,924,130.

With a $94M cap, that leaves $56,075,870 of cap space.

Durant/Horford each have a max of $26.4M. If you sign each of them to that, you have $3,275,870 left over.

However, we can salary dump James Young by attaching pick(s) to him. That frees up $1.8252M. So now leftover cap space is $5,101,070. We need another $572,080 cap space to save Jared Sullinger's cap hold. Ideally Durant/Horford agree to take that small pay cut between them, but if they won't you can easily salary dump RJ Hunter. That won't be hard and creates enough room. Doing so would force us to account for a roster spot cap hold because signing Durant/Horford would only bring us to 11 players but it still frees up enough room.

So if you dump Young (and Hunter if necessary) before signing Durant/Horford you never have to renounce Sully's bird rights. That means you can re-sign him to whatever you want.

Now you try and lure back Amir Johnson with the room exception. That's a pay cut compared to what he can get on the open market but he's made some money in his career so I'm hopeful. If not him I'm sure we can get a rotational big for the room exception.

I think you can agree that with the treasure chest of picks DA has it won't be hard to dump Young. If we have to dump Hunter he's actually an asset worth taking on so that won't be an issue.

So the only questionable thing is Amir (or Jerebko) coming back for the room exception. Possible but probably not something you can count on. So it's the same team as last year with Durant replacing Turner, Horford replacing one of Jerebko/Amir and then the other being replaced by a room exception signing.

Although, they could also use Jaylen Brown as the replacement with Crowder playing more PF. Rozier was the backup PG last year but my plan would be to make Smart take that spot and play Brown at SG. So the other change to the rotation is Brown replacing Rozier, which should be an upgrade. I forgot to specify that. You could leave Rozier in the rotation, use Smart as the 2nd SG, Brown at SF and Crowder at PF.

RLundi
06-28-2016, 04:23 PM
never liked that rule, I understand not wanting cheap owners to pocket the money. But instead of giving millionaire players unearned salary bonuses, why not make the owners contribute the money to their city or a local charity? Or even reflected in ticket discounts? Help improve the cities they play in and the cities that support them!

That's honestly a really great idea.

Green_Monster
06-28-2016, 04:26 PM

they have

Bradley 8.3m
CRowder 6.3m
Smart 3.6m
Thomas 6.6m
Olynyk 3.1m
Rozier 1.9m
Young 1.8m
Hunter 1.2m
Mickey 1.2m

Zeller 6.5m
Sullinger 5.7m
Turner 4.5m

He went over it in a pretty detailed post in our forum. http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?908573-16-17-Offseason-Discussion&p=31021961#post31021961

The Celtics can make a 3rd significant addition along with Durant Horford by doing a sign-and-trade with Sullinger.

Right now we have 9 players under contract for $33,971,630.

We also have cap holds for the 3 first rounders. Brown will obviously be over so add a cap hold of $3,818,900. Yabusele will be overseas so no need to worry about his cap hold. Zizic reportedly wants to come over so let's just say he does - add another cap hold of $1,112,900. Now our total salary commitment is $38,903,430 for 11 players.

We also need to keep Sullinger's cap hold of $5,673,150 on the books so we can S&T him later. That brings our total salary to $44,576,580 for 12 players.

Using a $94M cap, that gives us a total cap space of $49,423,420. Durant and Horford each have max contracts of $26.4M so to sign them both would take $52.8M. So we're short by $3,376,580.

If we salary dump James Young and Ante Zizic (or in the case of Zizic just convince him to stay overseas for a year) then that saves $2,938,100 of cap space. Now we're just short by about $400K. You'd hope you could convince Durant/Horford to take those microscopic paycuts. If not, you can salary dump RJ Hunter too.

***If you refer back, before salary dumps I had us at 12 players. There are cap holds to get up to 12 roster spots but we wouldn't have to worry about that. If we salary dump players though, those go back on the books. So dumping Young and dumping Zizic (or leaving overseas) would drop us to 10. However, for every player we sign we can get rid of one cap hold. Since Durant/Horford would take us back up to 12 roster spots we don't have to worry about that. If we also have to dump Hunter to free up the $400K needed to offer Durant and Horford true max deals, then we'd be at 9 so they only bring us up to 11. So add in one cap hold at the rookie minimum of $543,471. Hunter's salary is $1.2M so even factoring in the creation of that cap hold we still save the $400K needed but I'm just throwing that in for full disclosure.***

So anyway, whether Hunter is here or not - who really cares to be honest. Lets just say he is for sake of argument. Now we sign our 2nd rounders - Bentil and Jackson - to rookie minimum deals. That leaves the room exception in tact. The room exception would let us give them more money to sign and usually when you do that you get to structure the deals so you get 4 years of control like a 1st rounder before RFA. That's what we did with Mickey. But since we'd be giving the minimum we probably only get them for two years before RFA - oh well, who cares.

With the room exception in tact, you try to lure Amir Johnson back to add some rim protection or Jerebko for more shooting. Hopefully you could convince one to come back for that lower offer. Let's say Amir since he's made over $50M in his career and might be more willing to take less to be on a championship team.

So now we're left with...

IT/Smart/Rozier/Jackson
Bradley/Hunter
Durant/Crowder/Brown
Amir/Olynyk/Mickey/Bentil
Horford/***Sullinger***

***Now remember back to Sullinger, I only accounted for him at his cap hold. That lets us maintain his bird rights to go over the cap to sign him. So we could give him anything up to a max and fit him in. That means we can keep him for ourselves... OR we can ship him out in a S&T. NBA rules say that if your outgoing money in a trade is between $9.8M and $19.6M then you can take back the outgoing amount plus an extra $5M.***

My favorite FA to add would be Ryan Anderson, who I'm really growing fond of. He is a proven instant scorer off the bench which I think we need. Having him and Olynyk would really help open up the offense for the 2nd unit. Defensively, it's not great, but we had Jerebko in Anderson's PF spot for last year's 2nd unit. He does a good, solid job defensively but he's no monster on that end. And the perimeter defense would be terrific so we can live.

It may not necessarily be NO taking back Sullinger, but whether it's a 2 team trade with them or a 3 team deal with someone else getting Sullinger, we have assets to make it work. We'd have to throw NO (and the 3rd team getting Sullinger if that's the case) some of our non-BRK picks to get them to partake but it's worth it.

So now we have a first unit of...

IT
Bradley
Durant
Amir
Horford

This is last year's starting lineup except Crowder/Sullinger are replaced with Durant/Horford. I think we can all agree that's a huge upgrade in both spots.

Our 2nd unit is now...

Smart
Brown
Crowder
Anderson
Olynyk

Turner is gone which hurts the ball handling but two offensively gifted bigs does wonders to open up the floor. I know Jerebko could shoot but Anderson is another level of offensive ability compared to him. Stevens has talked about how he views wings as interchangeable so Brown/Crowder should be fine guarding SGs even though we have always in our depth charts listed them as SFs or PFs. That isn't an issue.

And then we have a third unit of...

Jackson
Rozier
Hunter
Bentil
Mickey

Some pretty good young talent there that I'd be happy to have fill in if there's an injury. If Hunter has to be traded so Durant/Horford don't have to take $400K pay cuts between them you use his 15th spot on a vet min guy - I'll say Perkins just because he's BFFs with Durant and has a track record here.

knickfan371
06-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Durants not coming to NY I would be shocked if he doesn't go for a short deal and make more next year. But I still see the Knicks winning the Atlantic division next year.

hugepatsfan
06-28-2016, 04:37 PM
He went over it in a pretty detailed post in our forum. http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?908573-16-17-Offseason-Discussion&p=31021961#post31021961

I should have just posted that instead of explaining it again lol

I will just correct that in there where I say we needed to create another $400K, I rounded in my head wrong. The exact number is $572,080. if Durant/Horford won't take that much less between them then we also have to dump RJ Hunter, which to be honest who really cares? :laugh2:

Also, in that post I mention S&T with Sullinger for Anderson but we could just re-sign him for ourselves as well. I like that move more but my point to the poster here was that we could have the same team as last year plus Durant/Horford for IT/Jerebko so I didn't explain that trade.

europagnpilgrim
06-28-2016, 05:36 PM
I don't think any A or B lister is going to Houston. harden is going to get the Kobe treatment. No one's going to want to play there, and they're going to have to trade for players.

Harden has had experience playing with two other all nba caliber players and fared quite well coming off the bench, he never wanted to be traded all he wanted was 60mill but was offered 55 and showed the door afterward, Kobe always wanted to be Jordan/alpha/scoring machine so he wanted Shaq gone by the time he started really feeling himself and got his feet wet even after going to 4 Finals in 8yrs which is something you don't fix cause it wasn't broke

Howard clashed with Harden because he felt he was more Shaq than Russell/ZO and wanted shots he didn't warrant as a dominant low post scorer

for past odd number of years Houston has always been on free agent list(A+B) so I don't think that would change now its just you get some or you don't and move on

now if Harden had demanded a trade from OKC or wanted one of Russ/KD traded then you would have a solid point

Kobe wanting Shaq out would be equal to J West and the Lakers drafting a young Wilt and then wanting him shipped out after 4 yrs of making the Finals, just pure dumbness

Pfeifer
06-28-2016, 05:57 PM
Durants not coming to NY I would be shocked if he doesn't go for a short deal and make more next year. But I still see the Knicks winning the Atlantic division next year.

Lol. Same thing Knicks fans say before every year.

IndyRealist
06-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Harden has had experience playing with two other all nba caliber players and fared quite well coming off the bench, he never wanted to be traded all he wanted was 60mill but was offered 55 and showed the door afterward, Kobe always wanted to be Jordan/alpha/scoring machine so he wanted Shaq gone by the time he started really feeling himself and got his feet wet even after going to 4 Finals in 8yrs which is something you don't fix cause it wasn't broke

Howard clashed with Harden because he felt he was more Shaq than Russell/ZO and wanted shots he didn't warrant as a dominant low post scorer

for past odd number of years Houston has always been on free agent list(A+B) so I don't think that would change now its just you get some or you don't and move on

now if Harden had demanded a trade from OKC or wanted one of Russ/KD traded then you would have a solid point

Kobe wanting Shaq out would be equal to J West and the Lakers drafting a young Wilt and then wanting him shipped out after 4 yrs of making the Finals, just pure dumbness

Unfortunately Houston's now labeled a dysfunctional team with a primadonna who gets coaches fired and tries to get players traded. It's also a D'Antoni team now and about to lose the majority of their defense.

They're gonna have to trade for a team with the assets they have at 50 cents on the dollar, and try to put up a year or two of respectability before anyone major is going to come here willingly.

TheMightyHumph
06-28-2016, 06:18 PM

The NBA Players Assoc. wants that money for the players.

Green_Monster
06-28-2016, 06:18 PM

I don't understand why you expect the Knicks to get that much better. Some of you seem to think that acquiring Rose and losing Lopez somehow made them a good amount better. It's as if people forgot that Rose isn't good anymore. This isn't 2010.

knickfan371
06-28-2016, 07:03 PM
I don't understand why you expect the Knicks to get that much better. Some of you seem to think that acquiring Rose and losing Lopez somehow made them a good amount better. It's as if people forgot that Rose isn't good anymore. This isn't 2010.

They get that much better because they underachieved last year,porzingis is putting on weight and has 1 year under his belt,rose is playing for a contract and the Knicks get one of 3 centers ,Horford,Howard,Noah one of them will come along with the fact that the east is weak. Trust me the Knicks are not that far away.

Ty Fast
06-28-2016, 07:06 PM
I was inspired by another thread on the NBA forum on free agency predictions. That was a great write-up and I could see a lot of those scenarios occurring. But I want to be a little bolder and stray from the merely safe picks and rumors being currently heard. I won't make a prediction just to make a prediction, especially one that is unrealistic, but this is just to broaden horizons a bit into the underreported realm of possibility. I've also chosen not to include restricted free agents, as I'm nearly positive most (if not all) of those offers will be matched. So without further ado, here are my bold but realistic free agency predictions:

1. Kevin Durant (2 years, $51M with player option, New York Knicks)- as much as the idea of Durant going to the Warriors or Spurs is the most interesting and all the rage, I think Knicks make too much sense here. With Melo hard at work recruiting him, the lure of New York, the chance to unite with a hopefully reinvigorated Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook's almost-certain impending departure, and a highly-regarded coach, I think the Knicks have a much better chance of getting Durant than they are given credit for, scheduled meetings aside.

2. LeBron James (1 year, $31M, Cleveland Cavaliers)- it's difficult to be bold on this one, as LeBron is nearly certain to return. The terms of the contract can be somewhat in question, and I can see LeBron signing a one-year max contract instead of a two-year deal with a player option. Not much boldness here folks though, he's returning.

3. Mike Conley (4 years, $92M, Houston Rockets)- Conley is exactly the calming presence Houston needs at the 1. Beverly and Lawson were subpar at the point position last year and Conley is just the low-key, skilled player needed to rein in Harden a little while providing decent shooting and defense. Houston will whiff on Durant, Horford, Whiteside, and once the dust clears, they will scramble and offer a contract to Conley, who will view that situation as the best chance to compete and have access to starter's minutes.

4. Hassan Whiteside (4 years, $95M, Dallas Mavericks)- there is a lot of chatter about the Lakers aggressively pursuing Whiteside, but their situation isn't as attractive as Dallas'. The Mavericks are viewed by players around the league as a prime free agent destination and a great franchise that does right by its players, and I think the allure of contention will be enough to sway Whiteside. The Mavs get their DeAndre Jordan-like player a year later.

5. DeMar Derozan (4 years, $100M, Los Angeles Lakers)- talks with the Raptors and Derozan are amicable at the moment, but rumblings are the Raptors are leery of investing so much money into a SG that can't exactly shoot. In an effort to save money, the Raptors will offer Derozan a contract worth less than the max, which will insult him into the arms of another team. The Lakers, after having failed to sign Horford, Whiteside, and a host of other free agents, will swoop in to pick up the pieces and offer Derozan a chance to return home.

6. Al Horford (5 years, $144M, Atlanta Hawks)- simply put, Horford loves Atlanta and wants to stay. The Hawks also love Horford and want him to stay. This is his best chance to win a championship and the incumbent Hawks team hopes to have a jolt of rejuvenation with Schroeder as their floor general. Horford will realize this Hawks team is in better position to win than the Lakers, Magic, Pistons, and Celtics.

7. Dwight Howard (4 years, $90M, Milwaukee Bucks)- Howard will find out the market for him is not as deep as he would have hoped. The Warriors, Knicks, and Hornets will court him but will offer far less than the max for him. He will keep searching for a team that will allow him to be a focal point in the offense and that will give him a palatable salary. This is where the Bucks come in. Badly in need of a defensive presence as well as veteran leadership, Milwaukee will jettison Monroe and replace him with what they believe to be a defensive anchor.

8. Dwyane Wade (2 years, $48M with player option, Miami Heat)- Wade will not get the max contract he is looking for, but he will still be handsomely rewarded for his unselfishness in prior years. Pat Riley will make up the difference when Wade retires by hiring him to a vague position in the team's front office. In the meantime, $24M a year ain't bad.

9. Nicolas Batum (4 years, $96M, Orlando Magic)- most expect the Hornets to get a contract settled quickly with Batum, who was their second-best player last season. Charlotte, however, has other free agents to consider as well, and as such, will offer Batum a 5-year, $95M contract. He will balk just enough to let the French connections to Evan Fournier and Serge Ibaka sway him into accepting the Magic's near-max offer.

10. Pau Gasol (3 years, $58M with team option, Golden State Warriors)- Gasol will relish the chance to win a championship with the Warriors, who will get an absolute steal of a contract for exactly the kind of player they need and covet.

11. Chandler Parsons (4 years, $72M, Washington Wizards)

13. Al Jefferson (3 years, $55M with team option, Charlotte Hornets)

14. Rajon Rondo (4 years, $65M, Brooklyn Nets)

15. Ryan Anderson (5 years, $84M, New Orleans Hornets)

16. Tim Duncan (1 year, $12M, San Antonio)

18. Joakim Noah (3 years, $48M with team option, Miami Heat)

19. Jamal Crawford (2 years, $28M, San Antonio Spurs)

20. Ian Mahinmi (4 years, $60M, Boston Celtics)

Please feel free to offer feedback. Do you mostly agree or disagree? Can you see these signings happening? What are your thoughts?

KD going to NY is a long shot but I think there are only about 6 or 7 teams that have a chance at him and NY is one of them. I don't see Jamal Crawford going to the Spurs though. I also don't see D12 going to the Bucks.

Bostonjorge
06-28-2016, 07:10 PM
I don't see why Durant won't go to GS on max or 2 year max with player option? It's the best case scenario. If he stays in Okc and Westbrook leaves then what? What are the odds Durant can go to a team as good and young as GS or Okc(with Westbrook) next year? Going to GS takes care of him long term in every way. Money, young talent and location.

PhillyFaninLA
06-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Generally, I'd agree, but for the Knicks to sell Durant to NY, he'd have to retain leverage. He'd sign 4 years with Boston or GS or SAS because they have the opportunity to be elite. NY doesn't for sure offer that, just the possibility. In order to land him, show him they can compete first, gain his trust, and convince him the cards are in his hands, I can see him being offered an opt-out clause. Yes, it leaves NY very susceptible and vulnerable, but to sign him, they may have to enter desperation mode.

I doubt Durant goes to NY.

^Yep.

He would be a worse team for less money...I don't see any benefit for Durant. He doesn't put that team over the top, and to make less money at the same time, I just don't see

JOSKOMANG4
06-28-2016, 08:07 PM
1. Kevin Durant (2 years, $51M with player option, Thunder)

2. LeBron James (1 year, $31M, Cavaliers)

3. Mike Conley (5yr 110m, Grizzles)

4. Hassan Whiteside (4 years, $88m, Mavericks)

5. DeMar Derozan (5 years, $115, Raptors)

6. Al Horford (5 years, $125m, Hawks)

7. Dwight Howard (5yr 125m, Hawks via S&T for Splitter & Milsap)-

8. Dwyane Wade (2 years, $40m with player option, Miami Heat)

9. Nicolas Batum (4 years, $72m , Clippers v/S&T for reddick & 2018 1st)

10. Pau Gasol (2yr 25m, Spurs )

11. Chandler Parsons (4 years, $72M, Hawks)

12. Dirk Nowitzki (2 years, $30m, Mavericks)

13. Al Jefferson (3 years, $45m with team option, Charlotte Hornets)

14. Rajon Rondo (4 years, $66, Kings)

15. Ryan Anderson (4yr 64mill rockets)

16. Harrison Barnes (4yr 70mil, lakers)

17. Luol Deng (2 years, $27m, Grizzles )

18. Joakim Noah (3 years, $48M with team option, Knicks)

19. Jamal Crawford (2 years, $20m clippers)

20. Ian Mahinmi (3 years, $30m, Magic)

21. Lin (4yr 44mill, Nets)

22. ezeli(4yr 50mill, lakers)

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-28-2016, 08:21 PM

Thing is, RoLo is probably better than Rose right now.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-28-2016, 08:24 PM
They get that much better because they underachieved last year,porzingis is putting on weight and has 1 year under his belt,rose is playing for a contract and the Knicks get one of 3 centers ,Horford,Howard,Noah one of them will come along with the fact that the east is weak. Trust me the Knicks are not that far away.

The Knicks haven't been "that far away" every year since Melo got there and they've only finished in the top 4 seeds of the conference once since he got there and they've missed the playoffs the last three years. I get that you're excited about your team, but there's nothing that suggests that things are just going to suddenly change in NY.

knickfan371
06-28-2016, 08:30 PM
The Knicks haven't been "that far away" every year since Melo got there and they've only finished in the top 4 seeds of the conference once since he got there and they've missed the playoffs the last three years. I get that you're excited about your team, but there's nothing that suggests that things are just going to suddenly change in NY.

Dude its not about expectations it's about stability the Knicks should have been better last year . They had a lousy coach the Knicks are winning the division. I'm not one of those unrealistic fans.when we stink we stink.the Knicks are winning the division next year because the east is weak.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-28-2016, 08:36 PM
Dude its not about expectations it's about stability the Knicks should have been better last year . They had a lousy coach the Knicks are winning the division. I'm not one of those unrealistic fans.when we stink we stink.the Knicks are winning the division next year because the east is weak.

lol so the Knicks are gonna somehow become magically better in a conference that's looking to stay the same competition wise, and get 17 more wins to pass the Celtics and 25 wins to pass the Raptors? Both teams showing no signs of a possible down slide?

The Eastern Conference "sucked" this past season and you still only got 31 wins and the move the Knicks made was honesty worse for them talent wise.

Green_Monster
06-28-2016, 08:39 PM

They haven't gotten better though. Robin Lopez was better than Rose last year. They may have gotten worse.

You can't say the Knicks are winning the division and then say you're not an unrealistic fan.

Clint Olbrock
06-28-2016, 09:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16597101/dwyane-wade-open-free-agency-offers-negotiations-miami-heat-stall

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/06/whiteside-others-to-test-rileys-success-getting-players-to-sign-for-less-um-fallout-dolphins.html

"Some important people inside the Heat do not view Whiteside as a max player."

Heat are playing with fire here, not offering the max to Whiteside and after getting into a big stink with Wade last season about money...

If the Heat lose Wade AND Whiteside in free agency, plus Bosh's questionable playing status.

It would be the cherry on top of the year after the Cavs brought home the title.

naztrack
06-28-2016, 09:19 PM
They haven't gotten better though. Robin Lopez was better than Rose last year. They may have gotten worse.

You can't say the Knicks are winning the divison and then say you're not an unrealistic fan.

Our PG situation was terrible last year, so up grading what we have means much more then the productivity we got from ROLO. We may not fill his lost completely this upcoming free agency but they will get damn close to it. In away Phil flipped ROLO into a good to decent starting PG and prolly a good starting C.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-28-2016, 09:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16597101/dwyane-wade-open-free-agency-offers-negotiations-miami-heat-stall

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/06/whiteside-others-to-test-rileys-success-getting-players-to-sign-for-less-um-fallout-dolphins.html

Heat are playing with fire here, not offering the max to Whiteside and after getting into a big stink with Wade last season about money...

If the Heat lose Wade AND Whiteside in free agency, plus Bosh's questionable playing status.

It would be the cherry on top of the year after the Cavs brought home the title.

I read something on Reddit a couple of days ago that Whiteside wants to decide where he goes on July 1st. If Whiteside makes a decision before Durant, they're kinda screwed, no?

Green_Monster
06-28-2016, 09:28 PM
Our PG situation was terrible last year, so up grading what we have means much more then the productivity we got from ROLO. We may not fill his lost completely this upcoming free agency but they will get damn close to it. In away Phil flipped ROLO into a good to decent starting PG and prolly a good starting C.

I agree that the Knicks will sign a center who can most likely replacement or exceed the production Lopez gave them.

The disagreement is that Rose is a "good to decent" starting PG. He isn't, if we base it off of his play last year. That may still be an upgrade from the Knicks PG play last year, but the trade alone didn't make them better as a whole. Signings after may be able to do that.

I just think it's ridiculous to say the Knicks will win the division this year, especially the way they're currently constructed.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-28-2016, 09:36 PM

That's a fair point. But you have this looming question hanging over the team of if Rose is ready to accept being no more than the 3rd option on that team. Rose was really inefficient shooting wise last season and had a USG% of 27% and hasn't had a USG% of less than 25 since his rookie season. Carmelo's was 30% last season and Porzingis was at 25%. You'd assume that you'd want Kristaps to get more touches this upcoming season, and Melo and Rose will have to sacrifice for that to happen. Which is something they haven't been known to do.

j-bay
06-28-2016, 09:44 PM
I said it before i'll say it again. If the Wizards don't do anything good with this cap space i'm becoming a full time C's fan. And can you blame me with this guy still running the team.
https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2014/05/AP101218141261/lead_large.jpg

knickfan371
06-28-2016, 10:49 PM

You can't say the Knicks are winning the division and then say you're not an unrealistic fan.
It's not unrealistic free agency has not started the Knicks are winning the division whose winning the Celtics ? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Green_Monster
06-28-2016, 11:08 PM
It's not unrealistic free agency has not started the Knicks are winning the division whose winning the Celtics ? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Most likely the Raptors, followed by the Celtics. You can laugh all you want. The Knicks won 32 games last year and their first move of the season might have made them worse.

You said you weren't one of the unrealistic fans. Stop being unrealistic and you might be believed.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-28-2016, 11:21 PM
I'm no knick hater but I don't think the knicks got better any better getting rose .... will depend who else they get in FA

DarkKnight
06-28-2016, 11:35 PM
Rose >>>> than Lopez ... He has star appeal , and a better player than
Lopez.. Also Rose is their best PG since Mark Jackson. That's a long time , and will be the best PG Melo has had in New York

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-29-2016, 12:22 AM
That all may be true but none of it matters if he misses half the season.... I hope he doesn't I like rose alot he was so fun watch his first couple seasons

RLundi
06-29-2016, 12:28 AM

What is so funny? The Raptors and Celtics are levels better than the Knicks, even with Rose. If he returns close to form, the Knicks as presently constructed can be a .500 team. But they aren't touching Toronto, and probably not Boston unless they get Durant.

RLundi
06-29-2016, 12:44 AM
Lopez.. Also Rose is their best PG since Mark Jackson. That's a long time , and will be the best PG Melo has had in New York

Here's hoping Rose somehow reverts to his MVP days. But honestly, Rose was one of the absolute worst starting PGs in the league last season. His decent per game numbers mask how dreadful he actually was. He sported numerous negative contributions on both offense and defense. He hurt his team when he was on the floor and barely contributed to wins. Only Marcus Smart, Jose Calderon, George Hill, and Patrick Beverly were worse statistically. It seems Lopez was the much more productive player overall.

I think a change of scenery will do Rose a lot of good. I just don't think we'll ever see him put up pre-injury numbers again, or anything close. But if he's rejuvenated, focused, and buys in, I don't see why he can't average 18 points, 6 assists, and 4 rebounds on 45% shooting from the floor. I agree with you, the Rose I predict will show up to New York will be the best PG Melo has ever played with.

Scoots
06-29-2016, 01:30 AM

So I'm a billionaire owner and find out that I can have a bad team, still make millions off them, AND I get to have the team build a really nice park across from the newly gentrified apartment complex I own AND get a tax break on the "charity" :)

It goes to the players because the CBA was negotiated to make sure the players got a certain percentage of league earnings as a whole.

Scoots
06-29-2016, 01:31 AM
1. Kevin Durant (2 years, $51M with player option, Thunder)

2. LeBron James (1 year, $31M, Cavaliers)

3. Mike Conley (5yr 110m, Grizzles)

4. Hassan Whiteside (4 years, $88m, Mavericks)

5. DeMar Derozan (5 years, $115, Raptors)

6. Al Horford (5 years, $125m, Hawks)

7. Dwight Howard (5yr 125m, Hawks via S&T for Splitter & Milsap)-

8. Dwyane Wade (2 years, $40m with player option, Miami Heat)

9. Nicolas Batum (4 years, $72m , Clippers v/S&T for reddick & 2018 1st)

10. Pau Gasol (2yr 25m, Spurs )

11. Chandler Parsons (4 years, $72M, Hawks)

12. Dirk Nowitzki (2 years, $30m, Mavericks)

13. Al Jefferson (3 years, $45m with team option, Charlotte Hornets)

14. Rajon Rondo (4 years, $66, Kings)

15. Ryan Anderson (4yr 64mill rockets)

16. Harrison Barnes (4yr 70mil, lakers)

17. Luol Deng (2 years, $27m, Grizzles )

18. Joakim Noah (3 years, $48M with team option, Knicks)

19. Jamal Crawford (2 years, $20m clippers)

20. Ian Mahinmi (3 years, $30m, Magic)

21. Lin (4yr 44mill, Nets)

22. ezeli(4yr 50mill, lakers)

And the Warriors sign no players at all?

Scoots
06-29-2016, 01:33 AM

What I've been saying all along ... the Heat know more about him that anyone and they benched him last year and are reluctant to sign him to a huge deal. The risk on Whiteside is huge.

mgjohnson7851
06-29-2016, 05:13 AM
Just saying....the Nuggets GM (Tim Connelly) publicly stated that they plan to be aggressive in the trade market and FA this summer, and they have $30M+ to spend. Not saying they get Durant or any huge star, but they will get someone.

They're currently in "Tier 2" of Durant's teams and are trying to get a sit down with him. Obviously Durant won't sign with Denver, but it shows how aggressive they plan to be, and if he does meet with the Nuggets it brings the team more notoriety for other players. I'd imagine that the Nuggets belong somewhere on the OP's list.

Green_Monster
06-29-2016, 09:37 AM

That's the thing though, he wasn't a better player than Lopez. Not even close, if we're being brutally honest.

I'm not sure why people suddenly think he's good again.

cmellofan15
06-29-2016, 11:50 AM

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that rose might not be as good as Lin in his time in NY

IndyRealist
06-29-2016, 05:02 PM
i'm going to go out on a limb and say that rose might not be as good as Lin in his time in NY

Rose might not be as good as Lin in his time coming off the bench in Charlotte.

5ass
06-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Just saying....the Nuggets GM (Tim Connelly) publicly stated that they plan to be aggressive in the trade market and FA this summer, and they have $30M+ to spend. Not saying they get Durant or any huge star, but they will get someone.

They're currently in "Tier 2" of Durant's teams and are trying to get a sit down with him. Obviously Durant won't sign with Denver, but it shows how aggressive they plan to be, and if he does meet with the Nuggets it brings the team more notoriety for other players. I'd imagine that the Nuggets belong somewhere on the OP's list.

Where are you getting that they're in Durant's "Tier 2"?

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Lol nuggets on zero list of KD lmao

IKnowHoops
06-29-2016, 06:08 PM

tp13baby
06-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Where are you getting that they're in Durant's "Tier 2"?

Tier 2: Teams that have no chance getting Durant, but foolish enough to think they will have a chance to meet with him.

A SF I see Denver looking at though who I know management has always loved is Parsons. A lot of money can be sent his way, team on the rise, and gives Denver enough trade chips to make another significant move.

More than likely I see Denver settling though.

mgjohnson7851
06-29-2016, 06:58 PM
Tier 2: Teams that have no chance getting Durant, but foolish enough to think they will have a chance to meet with him.

A SF I see Denver looking at though who I know management has always loved is Parsons. A lot of money can be sent his way, team on the rise, and gives Denver enough trade chips to make another significant move.

More than likely I see Denver settling though.
This.

I don't know about settling, but I don't think the Nuggets get a star either.

mgjohnson7851
06-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Tier 2 are the teams interested in Durant, but haven't gotten a sit down with him yet.

Like I said in my post.....there's absolutely no chance Denver lands Durant, but they hope to get a sit down to raise their notoriety....even that is unlikely though.

5ass
06-29-2016, 07:12 PM
"Tier 2 of Durant's teams". Lol that's a strange way of saying Durant is not interested in signing with the Nuggets.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Reading the rumors it seems Durant's tier 1 is OKC/GS. Tier 2 is probably SA/BOS and MIA if Riley can make the right moves. Tier 3 is LAC (and MIA if they aren't in tier 2). NY is tier 4. And then the rest of the league is in tier 5 lol

j-bay
06-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Here is a bold prediction. The Wizards will get one of Horford, Noah, Batum, or Anderson.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Here is a bold prediction. The Wizards will get one of Horford, Noah, Batum, or Anderson.

I agree. Anderson will go there.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Tier 2 are the teams interested in Durant, but haven't gotten a sit down with him yet.

Like I said in my post.....there's absolutely no chance Denver lands Durant, but they hope to get a sit down to raise their notoriety....even that is unlikely though.

Isn't that like every team in the NBA that isn't getting a meeting with him then lol?

*Silver&Black*
06-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Horford and Dwight both sign with the Hawks.

5ass
06-29-2016, 09:31 PM

Are you going to start Millsap at SF?

hugepatsfan
06-29-2016, 09:40 PM

I'd imagine they bring him off the bench. Any combination of those 3 works with each other so it'd be an awesome situation.

I'd imagine at that point they try to move Mike Scott for either a PG or wing to help replace Teague and Bazemore (they'd have to let him go).

Vincent
06-29-2016, 10:04 PM
1. Kevin Durant (2 Years - Player Option year 2 - 55 Million, OKC)
2. LeBron James (2 years - Player Option year 2 - $60M, CLE)
3. Mike Conley (4 years - 114 million - SAS)
4. Hassan Whiteside (4 years - 94 million - LAL)
5. DeMar Derozan (5 years - 135 million - TOR)
6. Al Horford (4 years - Player option year 4 - 107 million, BOS)
7. Dwight Howard (4 years, 90 million, DAL)
8. Dwyane Wade (2 Years - Player Option year 2 - 50 million, MIA)
9. Nicolas Batum 5 years, 120 million, CHA)
10. Pau Gasol (2 Years - Player Option year 2 - 28 million, SAS)
11. Chandler Parsons (5 years, 100 million, DAL)
13. Al Jefferson (3 year, Team option year 3, 36 million, MIA)
14. Rajon Rondo (4 years, 72 million, BKN)
15. Ryan Anderson (4 years, 100 million, SAC)
16. Tim Duncan (1 year, Opt in for 5 million, SAS)
18. Joakim Noah (3 years, 64 million, Team option for year 3, NYK)
19. Jamal Crawford (2 years, 28 million, LAC)
20. Ian Mahinmi (4 years, 48 million, MIN)

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Magic get no one ? Lol maaaan I feel you Denver! Haha

I honestly think magic get one of

Batum
Parsons
Demar(small chance)
Conley(least likely)

Payton/Watson
Fournier/meeks
Batum/Mario
Ibaka/Aaron Gordon
Vucevic/Dedmon

Tis life

mgjohnson7851
06-30-2016, 12:07 AM
"Tier 2 of Durant's teams". Lol that's a strange way of saying Durant is not interested in signing with the Nuggets.

You're missing the point of my OP. I'm saying that the Nuggets will sign a decent free agent (Like Parsons or someone in that realm of ability), but MTM left the Nuggets off his list. I mentioned the fact that the Nuggets wanted a meeting with Durant only to show evidence of the Nuggets trying to be aggressive this off season.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-30-2016, 12:21 AM
You're missing the point of my OP. I'm saying that the Nuggets will sign a decent free agent (Like Parsons or someone in that realm of ability), but MTM left the Nuggets off his list. I mentioned the fact that the Nuggets wanted a meeting with Durant only to show evidence of the Nuggets trying to be aggressive this off season.

We get your point its just that your point makes zero sense and is irrelevant.

No duh the nuggets would want a sit down with kd so would every other team in the NBA .

My magic could and would sign him too that doesn't mean much. If a team had the cap or could make the cap they would jump for a sit down with kd if not they are dumb.

Nuggets are on no tier of kds, they are a team.that would love a sit down and there are 25 other teams on that list lol if I had to say there was a tier I'd say

1. OKC, GS

2. Spurs, celtics, rockets

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-30-2016, 12:26 AM
Edit: wrong thread

NYKnickFanatic
06-30-2016, 01:03 AM
why would KD go to NY?

Because...Knicks is back!

lol...

Cracka2HI!
06-30-2016, 01:10 AM
I think most of the big names will re-sign as usual. Most of my predictions have already been covered in this thread here the big names I think will move;

Horford to Portland
Conley to Dallas
Gasol to SA
Batum to GS
Barnes to 76ers
Rondo to Nets
Biyombo to Indiana
Lakers re-sign Clarkson and sign Ezeli
Noah and Courtney Lee to the Knicks

The guys I'm curious about is Ryan Anderson. I can see about 20 teams going after him. I think Washington, Sacramento and the Lakers are all good fits that I already saw mentioned here.

If I had to make a bold prediction for my own team it would be the Clippers finding a way to bring in DeRozan. I know that isn't happening but that's my fun pipe dream this off-season. In reality I think they will re-sign Crawford and Rivers and possibly Green, Aldrich, Mbah ah Moute and Wes Johnson. Maybe use the MLE on a guy like Jonas Jerebko.

ewing
06-30-2016, 01:43 AM

i would like to ****ing to see that

PhillyFaninLA
06-30-2016, 06:16 AM
I'm starting to believe the Sixers sign Barnes to a max deal, this would leave us $40 mil below the cap flow so we can take a chance, Alan Crabbe, he won't resign they have a log jam, (or Evan Fournier, he is probably not realistic because any contract even a max may be matched, with Dion Waters the fall back), and I just read that Saric announced he is coming over after the Olympic qualifiers.

I'd resign Brand, to be a great bench present and mentor, we trade one of our bigs to a PG (maybe a Deron WIlliams as a back up PG to whoever we trade for) , and we do some small upgrades to our bench that will get us to the salary floor.

edit:

I think one of the things you will see from the Sixers over the next 2 years (while we are getting all the pieces and seeing who can play with who) is a bunch of guys playing multiple positions, and backups playing multiple positions. I think you may see 7 or 8 guys play more than 20 minutes a game, maybe even 25. With only guys like Simmons, Crabbe/Fournier, and maybe Saric, and Barnes playing more than that. Ultimately Embiid if he can stay healthy will, but I think he will be a little restricted in minutes as least at the beginning of the year, and whichever big we don't trade will start at the beginning of the year at C, then by the end of the year be the backup for Embiid and Simmons while they are on the bench, so I think this keeps the C minutes a little bit lower this year.

mgjohnson7851
06-30-2016, 10:10 AM

No duh the nuggets would want a sit down with kd so would every other team in the NBA .

My magic could and would sign him too that doesn't mean much. If a team had the cap or could make the cap they would jump for a sit down with kd if not they are dumb.

Nuggets are on no tier of kds, they are a team.that would love a sit down and there are 25 other teams on that list lol if I had to say there was a tier I'd say

1. OKC, GS

mrblisterdundee
06-30-2016, 11:51 AM
1. Hassan Whiteside to the Mavericks. He's like DeAndre Jordan, but with a slightly better offensive game, and significantly better free throw shooting. I expect Mark Cuban to be aggressive in trying to give Dirk Nowitzki another title run or two.
2. Al Horford to the Blazers. He's my favorite target in free agency, able to switch between power forward and center depending on Portland's lineup. He's getting up there, but he should age well and provide a lot of versatility.
3. Mike Conley to the Mavericks. He's the perfect point guard for the Mavericks, a good defender and shooter. With him and a new defensive anchor in the interior, the Mavericks should be the next best thing to Golden State, San Antonio and Oklahoma City.

JOSKOMANG4
06-30-2016, 11:59 AM

I believe Dwight Howard is trying to join forces with his buddy Chandler Parsons in free agency. Picture if they can sign D12, resign Horford, and work out a S&T w/the Mavericks for Parsons.

D12/Horford/Parsons/Korver/Shroeder

ccugrad1
06-30-2016, 12:06 PM
Is it just me-- And yes I know the cap is skyrocketing-- or is there some big dollars being thrown around for some very average players.

PhillyFaninLA
06-30-2016, 12:26 PM
Is it just me-- And yes I know the cap is skyrocketing-- or is there some big dollars being thrown around for some very average players.

This happens every year, its not about the cap, its about free agency. You always have guys getting more money then they should, but not always with as much exposure, as much social media, as much click bait, and a rising cap.

Oefarmy2005
06-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Did this(as always) turn into a Knicks thread? In my robot voice: "Off course everyone wants to play and live in New York. It's the best city in the world, all other cities suck. Who said KD doesn't want to play for the Knicks? Error, Error, Error, Error..."

mrblisterdundee
06-30-2016, 08:10 PM
I totally forgot about one bold but realistic signing: Dwight Howard to the Mavericks. Dallas is the perfect place for Howard to rehab his career. He offers exactly what they need.

tyhgu
06-30-2016, 11:53 PM
I don't see Durant going to the Knicks on a 2 year deal....it would be a full max or nothing to the Knicks.http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/24.gifhttp://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/6.gif
http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/4.gif

RLundi
07-01-2016, 12:06 AM
Well, looks like at least one of my predictions (Whiteside to Dallas) is correct :)

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-01-2016, 12:20 AM
Fake stein account lundi lol

RLundi
07-01-2016, 12:27 AM
Fake stein account lundi lol

Noooooooooo!

tp13baby
07-01-2016, 12:33 AM

1. OKC, GS

Yeah but your GM thought it was a great idea to trade for Ibaka so I am not sure even if KD wanted to come to Orlando your GM would be smart enough to set a meeting up.

As far as I see it, and from day 1, KD has and always been leaning to OKC. To me everyone else is tier 2 because no one really has a shot.

RLundi
07-01-2016, 12:41 AM
Yeah but your GM thought it was a great idea to trade for Ibaka so I am not sure even if KD wanted to come to Orlando your GM would be smart enough to set a meeting up.

As far as I see it, and from day 1, KD has and always been leaning to OKC. To me everyone else is tier 2 because no one really has a shot.

Did he offend you? Lol why make this personal? Maybe Oladipo-Ibaka will end up being a good trade for both sides. Or maybe we got just buttsecksed. Who knows? Someone else could say Denver Nuggets are and have almost always been easily one of the most unattractive free agent destinations in the league for a variety of reasons. But it's irrelevant to the discussion. Nuggets aren't getting a meeting, neither is Orlando. He'd have to be missing an eye and probably have two physical left feet to consider going in either of those destinations.

I agree with you, there are no tiers. It's OKC, LAC, SA, GSW, and Miami that have a shot since they've secured meetings. Everyone else has absolutely no chance.

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2016, 12:42 AM
Lakers offered Mozgov 4 years 65mil

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2016, 12:42 AM
Blazers offered Parsons 4 year Max contract.

RLundi
07-01-2016, 12:43 AM
Lakers offered Mozgov 4 years 65mil

No waaayyyyy LOL

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2016, 12:43 AM
Knicks offered Jokim 4 years 70+ million.

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2016, 12:44 AM
No waaayyyyy LOL

what a time to be alive. lol.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-01-2016, 01:11 AM
God..if only I was 6'10 and somehow found my way to an NBA bench [emoji1]

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-01-2016, 01:12 AM
Lol at butt hurt nugget fans. Kd didn't wanna come to either of our teams get over it. Im not a hater of the ibaka trade so your barking up the wrong tree ....

All these Contracts are dumb and are going to be dumb ... just stupid .... 18 a year for Noah? 16 for moz... 19 for.blazemore, prob 24 for parsons and 27 for batum just insane

PhillyFaninLA
07-01-2016, 05:48 AM
Lol at butt hurt nugget fans. Kd didn't wanna come to either of our teams get over it. Im not a hater of the ibaka trade so your barking up the wrong tree ....

All these Contracts are dumb and are going to be dumb ... just stupid .... 18 a year for Noah? 16 for moz... 19 for.blazemore, prob 24 for parsons and 27 for batum just insane

The 2 bolded points contradict each other

hugepatsfan
07-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Celtics sign Horford to a max 4 year contract and Dwight to a 1+1 contract at his $30+M max.

In order to do this we have to salary dump James Young's $1.8M, decline options on Amir/Jerebko/Holland, and renounce Sullinger/Turner/Zeller.

Then we sign our 2nd rounders Ben Bentil and Demetrius Jackson to minimum deals.

IT/Rozier/Jackson
Bradley/Smart/Hunter
Durant/Brown
Horford/Mickey/Bentil
Dwight/Olynyk

We have the room exception and room for a vet min signing to finish the roster.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-01-2016, 10:32 AM
The 2 bolded points contradict each other

The two statements had nothing to do with each other. The Nuggets fans were mad when they got told they weren't on Durant's list and tried to come back at me with the Ibaka trade which had nothing to do with the conversation but I'm the wrong person to talk to you about that trade cuz I don't hate it it makes sense to me I have given that opinion on the magic board many times