PDA

View Full Version : Woj: OKC trading Ibaka to Orlando for Oladipo, Ilyasova, Sabonis

mightybosstone
06-23-2016, 08:55 PM
Oklahoma City has traded Serge Ibaka to the Orlando Magic, league sources told @TheVertical.

Orlando will send Victor Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova and rights to Sabonis to the Thunder, sources said.
Source: Woj

Whoah.... Did not see this coming.

YAALREADYKNO
06-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Holy *****

jerellh528
06-23-2016, 08:59 PM
Oladipo is going to help them a lot. Do they have money for horford or nah?

GiantsSwaGG
06-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Don't think Westbrook and Victor fit well together

bootleg42
06-23-2016, 09:00 PM
It makes zero sense for the Magic.............unless they're not done.....

FlashBolt
06-23-2016, 09:01 PM
Oladipo is going to help them a lot. Do they have money for horford or nah?

Probably not. Don't want him anyways. We should make a run for Pau right now. Resign KD

Westbrook
KD
Pau
Adams
Oladipo

FlashBolt
06-23-2016, 09:01 PM
Don't think Westbrook and Victor fit well together

Good trade value. Might be able to ship Kanter+Oladipo out for something nice.

mightybosstone
06-23-2016, 09:02 PM
At first glance, I was shocked that OKC dealt Ibaka. But then I saw the haul they got. This trade makes them a better basketball team on paper. A Westbrook/Oladipo/Durant trio is sick, they get a stretch 4 in Ilaysova and a solid backup bench big in the rookie Sabonis. However, if Durant IS leaving, this deal also makes a lot of sense for OKC. They get a great young player to build around in Oladipo and a solid lottery pick big man in the deal.

On the flip side, what in the hell is Orlando doing? They're not remotely close to competing. Why add a veteran like Ibaka? That just doesn't make any sense to me, although I do think he's a good front court complement to Vucevic.

GiantsSwaGG
06-23-2016, 09:03 PM

If the Thunder can flip Victor and attach Kanter it's a GREAT trade, if they keep Victor it's meh, too many iso players for my liking

mightybosstone
06-23-2016, 09:04 PM

You can't turn around and trade a player that you just acquired. The league doesn't work that way. There's a certain amount of time they would have to wait before they could deal him again. My guess is that Oladipo is a Thunder player for the long haul.

Edit: If I'm wrong about this, I apologize as I could be getting this rule confused with something else. Regardless, it's kind of a moot point because I seriously doubt that the Thunder will deal Oladipo after how much they coveted him on draft night a few years back.

FlashBolt
06-23-2016, 09:07 PM
You can't turn around and trade a player that you just acquired. The league doesn't work that way. There's a certain amount of time they would have to wait before they could deal him again. My guess is that Oladipo is a Thunder player for the long haul.

ship him in the midseason when it doesn't work

Mell413
I like this deal for OKC now and in the event KD/Westbrook leave.

Dade County
Desperate move... they should have never traded Harden.

KD gone.

(will smith song) Welcome to Miami

lakerfan85

Luke Ridnour was traded like 4 times last summer..

Corey
Ibaka is one of the best two way bigs in the NBA...

But OKC got a HAUL.

Sabonis is going to be a solid NBA player. Starter quality. Ilyasova is a good stretch 4, great backup, solid 4th/5th starter. Oladipo is a great young talent, also a great two way player.

OKC is doing a lot to try to show Durant they're committed.

lakerfan85
06-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Yep.. 4 times in about a week..

FlashBolt
06-23-2016, 09:11 PM
we got a replacement for SG, finally got rid of Waiters now
We had a frontcourt in Adams/Kanter/Roberson plays PF sometimes
Ilyasova is a good stretch four with decent defense and shooting. Off the bench for KD would be nice

I'm loving it.. hope KD comes back cause we can win

GiantsSwaGG

Wasn't Quetin Richardson traded 10x in 1 week?

kdspurman

But OKC got a HAUL.

Sabonis is going to be a solid NBA player. Starter quality. Ilyasova is a good stretch 4, great backup, solid 4th/5th starter. Oladipo is a great young talent, also a great two way player.

Idk if he is one of the best 2 way players anymore. I mean if guys aren't creating and getting him that open mid range shot, he doesn't add anything else offensively. Never really developed a back to basket game or creating off the dribble.

Good move by OKC though imo

Dade County
Trying to assemble a fake Trio... should have just kept Harden.

Pat going to save you KD.

mightybosstone
06-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Luke Ridnour was traded like 4 times last summer..

I honestly don't know what the rules on this are, but I feel like I've seen it before multiple times where a player that was acquired via a trade couldn't be turned around and traded to another team. I tried finding proof online, but was unable to do so. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

FlashBolt
06-23-2016, 09:14 PM
I honestly don't know what the rules on this are, but I feel like I've seen it before multiple times where a player that was acquired via a trade couldn't be turned around and traded to another team. I tried finding proof online, but was unable to do so. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

you're right but it varies. No one outside management really knows these specifics. We can always trade Oladipo in the midseason, though.

5ass
06-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Disgusting trade for the magic. I hate it.

mightybosstone
06-23-2016, 09:17 PM
you're right but it varies. No one outside management really knows these specifics. We can always trade Oladipo in the midseason, though.

But they won't. You don't go out of your way to hire a guy like Oladipo just to ship him off a few months later. I saw media Tweeting about the fact that Presti loved Oladipo on draft night a few years back and tried to trade up to get him. I think Oladipo is there to stay...

FlashBolt
06-23-2016, 09:18 PM
But they won't. You don't go out of your way to hire a guy like Oladipo just to ship him off a few months later. I saw media Tweeting about the fact that Presti loved Oladipo on draft night a few years back and tried to trade up to get him. I think Oladipo is there to stay...

man, are you reading correctly? If it doesn't work, we can ship Oladipo because he has trade value in a package with kanter's insane contract... just getting Oladipo from it is trade-worthy.

kdspurman
06-23-2016, 09:20 PM

Definitely shocked all they gave that all up for Serge.

CHANGO
06-23-2016, 09:24 PM
I don't see Ibaka as one of the best 2 way players in the League. He is a big guy with mid-range / three point shot and shot blocking, that's it. He have no post defense or post game offensively, the Magic were anally ****ed in this deal, don't know wtf was the gm thinking. I feel bad for Magic fans and ManRam.

mightybosstone
06-23-2016, 09:24 PM
man, are you reading correctly? If it doesn't work, we can ship Oladipo because he has trade value in a package with kanter's insane contract... just getting Oladipo from it is trade-worthy.

But your original point wasn't "if it doesn't work, then..." You made it seem like Oladipo was just an asset to be shipped out with Kanter. But my point is that Oladipo is a quality player that Presti covets and, either way, it's not a likely scenario that he's going to be shipped off anytime soon. When can you remember a situation where a team acquired a really good, young player and then immediately traded that player before the trade deadline the next season? I'm saying that the scenario you're describing is extremely unlikely.

But we're really just debating semantics. Who really cares? Great trade for OKC, and I think this makes them a better basketball team on paper.

CHANGO
06-23-2016, 09:25 PM

I feel you man, when I saw the Ibaka news I said, well that's not bad. Then I saw what the Magic were giving up and I said "WTF are they thinking?"

Also they already have Gordon in that PF position, he can play SF but having him at SF and Ibaka and PF doesn't look that good. IDK what they are thinking honestly.

minato_17
06-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Looking to add depth to contend with gsw and the spurs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
06-23-2016, 09:27 PM
But your original point wasn't "if it doesn't work, then..." You made it seem like Oladipo was just an asset to be shipped out with Kanter. But my point is that Oladipo is a quality player that Presti covets and, either way, it's not a likely scenario that he's going to be shipped off anytime soon. When can you remember a situation where a team acquired a really good, young player and then immediately traded that player before the trade deadline the next season? I'm saying that the scenario you're describing is extremely unlikely.

But we're really just debating semantics. Who really cares? Great trade for OKC, and I think this makes them a better basketball team on paper.

I love this trade for us because it fills up spots we needed to fill up. Ibaka wasn't needed. We had to do something with Ibaka or Kanter. Adams is a keeper 100%. I said IF it doesn't work (ball issues, USG%) then we can trade Oladipo because he's young and has trade value. Never said he was just an asset to be traded... it is an option though.

Avenged
Okc is gonna represent the West. What the hell is going on in Orlando?

LakerShow
Magic are ********.

5ass
06-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Definitely shocked all they gave that all up for Serge.

I don't care at all about the 11th pick at all, but I think Oladipo has the potential to be better than ibaka. I get ibaka is a perfect fit next to vucevic but I dont like this move at all.

Rivera
06-23-2016, 09:30 PM
I just don't know. I'm so sad :(

5ass
06-23-2016, 09:31 PM
I feel you man, when I saw the Ibaka news I said, well that's not bad. Then I saw what the Magic were giving up and I said "WTF are they thinking?"

Also they already have Gordon in that PF position, he can play SF but having him at SF and Ibaka and PF doesn't look that good. IDK what they are thinking honestly.

Gordon at SF isn't an issue IMO. He can excel at both positions. There aren't many SFs as big and strong as him so it should help him bully some players to the rim. He has the quickness to keep up with anyone on the defensive end.

Crackadalic
06-23-2016, 09:33 PM
I don't care at all about the 11th pick at all, but I think Oladipo has the potential to be better than ibaka. I get ibaka is a perfect fit next to vucevic but I dont like this move at all.

I'm upset for you guys. Thought oladipo was gonna break out as a star there

nysportsfan23
06-23-2016, 09:40 PM
This has to be one of the biggest trade heists in a while. How long will the magic gm have a job after this?

Aust
06-23-2016, 09:41 PM

Was wondering your thoughts on it. Sorry man.

Maybe they love the thought of Ibaka at 5 to pair with Gordon at the 4

mightybosstone
06-23-2016, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I kind of feel like Oladipo and Ilyasova should have been enough to get Ibaka. I don't think they needed to throw Sabonis into the mix as well. And I agree that Oladipo clearly has a higher ceiling than Ibaka at this point. For a rebuilding team like Orlando, this just doesn't make a ton of sense.

kdspurman
06-23-2016, 09:42 PM

11th pick was tough, but I agree about Oladipo. Definitely higher upside

Aust
06-23-2016, 09:46 PM
Oh, I forgot about Vucevic

da ThRONe
06-23-2016, 09:52 PM
I like this for Orlando. I think Serge has been held back playing with Westbrook and Durant. I think he'll be an all-star or at least in the discussion by the break next year.

Dade County
06-23-2016, 09:54 PM
we got a replacement for SG, finally got rid of Waiters now
We had a frontcourt in Adams/Kanter/Roberson plays PF sometimes
Ilyasova is a good stretch four with decent defense and shooting. Off the bench for KD would be nice

I'm loving it.. hope KD comes back cause we can win

Win what?

Not trying to pick a fight with you, i'm just asking.

I feel that OKC would have 2 titles by now, if they didn't trade Harden. Also not trading for Perkins too, would have helped out lol

FlashBolt
06-23-2016, 09:55 PM
I like this for Orlando. I think Serge has been held back playing with Westbrook and Durant. I think he'll be an all-star or at least in the discussion by the break next year.

Trust me, he won't... held back is an overstatement.

east fb knicks
06-23-2016, 09:55 PM
Kd is gone :dance:

5ass
06-23-2016, 09:57 PM
Thnx for the sympathy guys. I feel like I should be more upset but I'm just not. I hate the trade don't get me wrong. Maybe I'm still in shock? Lol. Maybe its because I'm always willing to jump ship if I feel the GM is an idiot. I won't blindly support the team.

5ass
06-23-2016, 09:57 PM

KD loves Oladipo. He'll stay for sure.

*Superman*
06-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I kind of feel like Oladipo and Ilyasova should have been enough to get Ibaka. I don't think they needed to throw Sabonis into the mix as well. And I agree that Oladipo clearly has a higher ceiling than Ibaka at this point. For a rebuilding team like Orlando, this just doesn't make a ton of sense.

That's what has been the most infuriating to me. Hennigan making deals and giving away more in return than what he is receiving. With the Tobias trade he didn't even acquire a pick. He gave him away for 2 players that won't even be resigned. I understand it was a cap move on our part, but he still gave away quality talent in Tobias. Now he gave away Illy (meh), 11th and Oladipo for Serge, an UFA after the year...

Looks like they had been shopping Oladipo for awhile now, he was linked to Jeff Teague/Jimmy Butler rumors. Would have much rather preferred Butler, but the asking price was probably too high. We needed interior defense so this solves that issue. They must be really high on Hezonja to take over the 2 spot and also must be planning on resigning Fournier. Elfrid and Dipo wasn't going to work long term because of their lack of perimeter shooting. Still feel like we are going to be a middle of the pack team in the future for awhile, whereas all other teams are improving.

Dade County
06-23-2016, 09:58 PM

But OKC got a HAUL.

Committed to what?

They don't what to go into tax; if they did, they would have kept Harden. I still don't understand why they just keep trading away there good assets.

More power to them.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2016, 10:02 PM
There's a reason Dwayne Wade n LBJ hung with Oladipo off court. Only way to salvage this is bringing Bradley Beal back to central Florida. If they don't I'm done as a magic fan. Rob Henningan won every single move he made as Gm only to get bullied by his former employer

Dade County
06-23-2016, 10:03 PM

I don't understand the move by the Magic in this spot. Can you give some insight?

Because the only thing I can think of, is the league wanted to help out OKC so KD doesn't leave; but I think it's too late for that. LMAO

All jokes aside, how does this really help Orlando? Where is their wing scoring going to come from.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2016, 10:03 PM
I watched Oladipo go toe to toe with OKC n GSW offensively last year. OKC is gonna put hi on Curry to harass the crap out of him

Dade County
06-23-2016, 10:04 PM

Welcome To Miami

5ass
06-23-2016, 10:07 PM
That's what has been the most infuriating to me. Hennigan making deals and giving away more in return than what he is receiving. With the Tobias trade he didn't even acquire a pick. He gave him away for 2 players that won't even be resigned. I understand it was a cap move on our part, but he still gave away quality talent in Tobias. Now he gave away Illy (meh), 11th and Oladipo for Serge, an UFA after the year...

Looks like they had been shopping Oladipo for awhile now, he was linked to Jeff Teague/Jimmy Butler rumors. Would have much rather preferred Butler, but the asking price was probably too high. We needed interior defense so this solves that issue. They must be really high on Hezonja to take over the 2 spot and also must be planning on resigning Fournier. Elfrid and Dipo wasn't going to work long term because of their lack of perimeter shooting. Still feel like we are going to be a middle of the pack team in the future for awhile, whereas all other teams are improving.

Agreed. I like Hezonja but he hasn't shown me more potential than Oladipo yet. He didn't really get a chance though. Fournier is capable of becoming a 20PPG scorer, I've always liked him. I really like Payton. They'll all benefit from this trade, but you have to hold on to Oladipo for now and re-evaluate him throughout the season. He's still improving every year and to many seemed like he was on the verge of breaking out.

Payton
Fournier/Mario
Gordon
Ibaka
Vucevic

ewing
06-23-2016, 10:08 PM
I love this move for OKC. Victor makes them even more athletic and hecket. He ds up and brings even more pace. PLus Sabonis is the steal of the draft IMO. I don't know what it is but i think that kid has something special.

5ass
06-23-2016, 10:08 PM
There's a reason Dwayne Wade n LBJ hung with Oladipo off court. Only way to salvage this is bringing Bradley Beal back to central Florida. If they don't I'm done as a magic fan. Rob Henningan won every single move he made as Gm only to get bullied by his former employer

Exactly.

JasonJohnHorn
06-23-2016, 10:13 PM
That is a lot of pieces!

Ilyasova? Spreads the floor and rebounds well. Oladipa... great all around player who has improved his shooting touch. Sabonis... haven't seen him play, but if he's half as good as his father he'll be in the league a while.

How did they manage to get three starters for one player who has never been on an All-Star team?

If they keep KD and bring in a quality SG on an MLE contract, Oladipa will be a great sixth made to back up the guard positions, and their front court rotation will be really deep with Kanter, Adams Ilyasova and Sabonis.

5ass
06-23-2016, 10:13 PM
I watched Oladipo go toe to toe with OKC n GSW offensively last year. OKC is gonna put hi on Curry to harass the crap out of him

Agreed with this too. OKC is going to take over the west next year.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-23-2016, 10:16 PM
What a bad move for Orlando. Ibaka is a not even close to that type of value. I would assume Rob Hennigan knows what he's doing here.

naps
06-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Sam Presti just fawked his prodigy all over. I am mad as hell if I am a Magic fan now.

nyknicks1969
06-23-2016, 10:25 PM
OKC raped ORL.

zn23
06-23-2016, 10:26 PM
The Magic just got fleeced.

Not only does OKC get Oladipo, who is a better backup than Waiters. They also get a capable 3 point shooter in Ilyasova to stretch the floor and they get rights to Sabonis' son to further bolster their front court.

Ibaka has seen better years. He's on the decline right now.

5ass
06-23-2016, 10:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Y3zCSSK3M
Oladipo dropped 37 points on OKC.

I will say this isn't the first time Magic fans have doubted Hennigan's moves. Yet he always comes up on top. I also try not to doubt him anymore, but I think this was a panic move. Ibaka will make them a better team next year and he's a great fit, but might not be beneficial long term.

5ass
06-23-2016, 10:29 PM

Not only does OKC get Oladipo, who is a better backup than Waiters. They also get a capable 3 point shooter in Ilyasova to stretch the floor and they get rights to Sabonis' son to further bolster their front court.

Lol at least your sig made me laugh.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2016, 10:31 PM

Where the hell do you get "backup" from?

Dade County
06-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Where the hell do you get "backup" from?

He will be their 6man... Until the last 5min of each game.

They are trying to re-create having Harden as their 6man; Oladipo just has way better D, & Harden is the better offensive player.

This just shows that they made a mistake in trading Harden.

j-bay
06-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Welcome To Miami

Not happening. Not with a broken Wade and Bosh, 2 SGs too many, and Whiteside rumored to be leaving.

j-bay
06-23-2016, 10:41 PM

Wizards will match. Look at who our gm is.

THE MTL
06-23-2016, 10:42 PM
It looks bad on paper for Orlando, but I thought they got raped in the Howard deal and ended up RAPING every other team in the trade. Im not going to doubt Orlando on this.

Dade County
06-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Not happening. Not with a broken Wade and Bosh, 2 SGs too many, and Whiteside rumored to be leaving.

We will see shortly.

j-bay
06-23-2016, 10:48 PM
We will see shortly.

Seriously trade 2 of those young SGs for a nice PF or C if you want Durant.

zn23
06-23-2016, 10:48 PM
It looks bad on paper for Orlando, but I thought they got raped in the Howard deal and ended up RAPING every other team in the trade. Im not going to doubt Orlando on this.

But they got a lot in return for the Howard deal.

They ended up with Nik Vucevic, and also had Aron Afflalo.

This deal just isn't good. Serge Ibaka has been on a steady decline the last couple years. He's not the defensive presence that he once was and his offensive game is limited to spot up 3 pointers.

east fb knicks
06-23-2016, 11:00 PM
Welcome To Miami
Im pretty sure h3 wants to play with wade :facepalm:

east fb knicks
06-23-2016, 11:07 PM
U dont break up a team that took gsw to 7 games adams is overrated ibaka was a huge piece and very close to kd and wb trading 4 dipo was an obvious rebuild move now they have adams kanter n dipo to Build around once kd n wb leaves

Meth
06-23-2016, 11:09 PM
OKC just replaced Dion Waiters. That's a win right there.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2016, 11:22 PM
He will be their 6man... Until the last 5min of each game.

They are trying to re-create having Harden as their 6man; Oladipo just has way better D, & Harden is the better offensive player.

This just shows that they made a mistake in trading Harden.

Lmao so they're gonna start that bum Roberson over him? Are you high? The guy teams literally leave open? Oladipo is starting and running with them.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2016, 11:23 PM

Will you ppl stop talking like Roberson is gonna start

europagnpilgrim
06-23-2016, 11:39 PM
this was basically trading Ibaka for Olidapo(or however you spell his name)

Sabonis is a project who may be good by the time Westbrook leaves in free agency and especially if KD decides to go then he definitely wont lead OKC back to prominence and that Ilvasoya(however you spell it) is a journeyman at best who has been traded way too often for being what he is, a good journeyman who doesn't dominate

of course Ibaka isn't what he was shot blocking/interior wise 5 yrs ago but his jumpshot wasn't like that either so he basically flip flopped what he wasn't good at but is still capable of erasing shots every often

OKC didn't fleece Magic since Ibaka was part of the big 3/4 originally along with Harden at that time and none of the Magic players were part of any big 3, and no matter how dumb of a move it was they chose at that time to keep Ibaka for defensive interior reasons over Harden, I would say financial but they went and gave Singler/Kanter more money than it was to keep Harden who wanted 60mill to stay in OKC, I think those two deals for singler/kanter were in the range of 75-80mill total, what a waste of breaking of a true dynasty in the making over 5million dollars(they offered 55mill to the Beard)

WaDe03
06-23-2016, 11:42 PM
Wade isn't broken and Whiteside isn't rumored to be leaving lol. Where do you guys get this stuff?

LA_Raiders
06-23-2016, 11:43 PM
Lol, it looks like OKC is ready for rebuild.

europagnpilgrim
06-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Trading away 2 key core players from a Finals team is not a good indicator that you want the top core guy to stay around

Kanter/Singler/Adams is no Harden/Ibaka no matter the seasons

5ass
06-23-2016, 11:46 PM
Lol, it looks like OKC is ready for rebuild.

Oladipo is 24...

HandsOnTheWheel
06-23-2016, 11:53 PM
Oh yeah for those who don't know, Hennigan used to be OKCs GM.

j-bay
06-24-2016, 12:20 AM
Wade isn't broken and Whiteside isn't rumored to be leaving lol. Where do you guys get this stuff?

Some Miami fans. It has been talked about if his price tag is too high that they might let him go. And as for Wade i wouldn't call him broken but he is a HUGE injury risk when they come towards the end of the season. Still a good player but there is a huge risk

numba1CHANGsta
06-24-2016, 12:22 AM
OKC 2017 NBA Champs

HandsOnTheWheel
06-24-2016, 12:30 AM
Some Miami fans. It has been talked about if his price tag is too high that they might let him go. And as for Wade i wouldn't call him broken but he is a HUGE injury risk when they come towards the end of the season. Still a good player but there is a huge risk

Pretty sure he played 74 games this season and each game in the playoffs completely healthy but ok.

Cal827
06-24-2016, 12:35 AM
Oladipo is worth much, much more than Ibaka alone at this point. Guy's playing a position that's struggling on star power, and just entering his prime,averaging 16-4-4 while being the main wing option on a team that's trying to find itself. For some shooting guards, it takes some time to catch on as the a main offensive player on the team (E.g. As a Raptor fan, I know the frustrations with Derozan's game until the past few years). But Oladipo has shown the other intangibles well before that; he's a good defender, and he's a willing distributor.

I just can't get by how stupid of a deal that Orlando just made. Ibaka at this point is basically a role player. He's been overhyped, just because he's played alongside Durant and Westbrook.

He only averaged 13-7 on less than 50% shooting last season. Seeing what the other two options are, and considering that he's a post player, the percentages (and especially the rebounding should be much higher). He's a great shot blocker, he's become fairly overrated on the defensive end. His defensive win shares have dropped considerably over the past couple year. That's going to hurt Orlando, who already have a starting big who's still developing their defensive game in Vucevic.

And the fact that they also sent away Illasova (who will probably replace Ibaka's numbers, minus the blocks), and a prospect big.... and.... Sorry Magic fans. This might end up being one of the dumbest trades of this decade.

WaDe03
06-24-2016, 12:35 AM
Played great in the playoffs too.

As for Miami fans they can say whatever, we each have our own opinion but no fan knows what anyone in the front office is thinking right now so you're just getting their personal opinion on the matter.

Wade n Fade
06-24-2016, 12:52 AM
Is Illayasova actually going to be with the Thunder this season or could they buy him out or possibly just trade him away?

kobe4thewinbang
06-24-2016, 12:56 AM
When I saw that they traded Ibaka, I was like "Hmm, okay." But then I saw that they received Oladipo?!

:speechless:

Wow. Assuming Durant resigns, OKC has another good player now. Guess Magic are going all in on Fournier and Payton.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 01:25 AM
First thing i have to say is anyone thinking Ersan is going to contribute to the thunder or thinks he was an asset in this trade is cray cray. He is garbage I mean HORRIBLE. He has a team option and can be cut so he is basically an expiring....

I don't get why we needed to include the 11th pick in this deal i think serge for dipo straight up with ersan for financial reasons was more then enough.

I hate trading dipo it hearts my heart, I get it somewhat tho we needed solid D/shot blocking down low and we have Mario who they must be high on for the future and also im sure we resign fournier now which is great I think he is good and young also.

They both are on 1 year remaining deals. And hennigan has been preaching getting a vet to mold the young guys and you got that in serge and serge is still 26 which is still young. Serge has been declining but vogel is great coach to help him get back to his better days.

I don't like tho it seems we have ag at the 3 now, I think one day he can do that but he isn't ready yet. I also don't think serge D can hide vucs bad D like it didn't for kanter.

How bad is serge at C ? I'd rather trade vuc maybe and keep ag at PF and serge at C having fournier at sg/sf. Sign or trade for another sg or sf.

Like I said I get the trade for our teams need with us being deeper with wings. But it just hurts cause dipo was just a Fan fav. But this trade shouldn't be judged until we see the Final plan. Who knows who else we trade for or sign in FA with 48 mil in cap still. Time will tell

Sadds The Gr8
06-24-2016, 01:46 AM
Orlando got handled in this deal. Ibaka is about to expire next year and is declining/being phased outta the offense. This is a great haul for Okc

HandsOnTheWheel
06-24-2016, 01:51 AM
First thing i have to say is anyone thinking Ersan is going to contribute to the thunder or thinks he was an asset in this trade is cray cray. He is garbage I mean HORRIBLE. He has a team option and can be cut so he is basically an expiring....

I don't get why we needed to include the 11th pick in this deal i think serge for dipo straight up with ersan for financial reasons was more then enough.

I hate trading dipo it hearts my heart, I get it somewhat tho we needed solid D/shot blocking down low and we have Mario who they must be high on for the future and also im sure we resign fournier now which is great I think he is good and young also.

They both are on 1 year remaining deals. And hennigan has been preaching getting a vet to mold the young guys and you got that in serge and serge is still 26 which is still young. Serge has been declining but vogel is great coach to help him get back to his better days.

I don't like tho it seems we have ag at the 3 now, I think one day he can do that but he isn't ready yet. I also don't think serge D can hide vucs bad D like it didn't for kanter.

How bad is serge at C ? I'd rather trade vuc maybe and keep ag at PF and serge at C having fournier at sg/sf. Sign or trade for another sg or sf.

Like I said I get the trade for our teams need with us being deeper with wings. But it just hurts cause dipo was just a Fan fav. But this trade shouldn't be judged until we see the Final plan. Who knows who else we trade for or sign in FA with 48 mil in cap still. Time will tell

Ersan really wasn't as bad as you're painting him out to be. He was the better piece out of the trade with the Bucks IMO. It's not saying a lot but Jennings was god awful.

A stretch 4 who can spread the floor and shoot 3s with great rebounding ability is right up the Thunder's alley and he might ultimately turn out to be a better player in the Thunder's system than Ibaka.

Just a franchise-altering awful trade all around for the Magic IMO.

naps
06-24-2016, 02:39 AM

Yeah the guy missed only ONE playoff game out of 100 playoff games in past 6 years (and only 2 games in his illustrious playoffs career). I think you are mistaking him with Bradley Beal.

naps
06-24-2016, 02:50 AM

It's not about Ersan at all man. He is just a throw in. Thing is it had to be either the 11th pick OR Oladipo, not both. I mean giving up a young asset like Oladipo alone is too much for a declining Ibaka. And then yall added the 11th pick... :speechless: Your GM must not value high picks like most other GMs. That 11th pick could get you another very decent player (example: Hawks got rid of Teague for the 12th pick).

aman_13
06-24-2016, 02:54 AM
Orlando got handled in this deal. Ibaka is about to expire next year and is declining/being phased outta the offense. This is a great haul for Okc

He's only 26 though. He had a down yr but I don't think he's on the decline. Well maybe he's slowing down because of injuries but I think he's still capable of being an impact player.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-24-2016, 03:06 AM
I don't think Ersan was a throw in. Thunder knew what they were doing here.

More-Than-Most
06-24-2016, 03:29 AM

wade isnt broken but he isnt that good anymore either unless 19/4/4 with 3TO per game on 46 percent shooting and no 3 point shot and meh to bad defense is good :shrug:

Sadds The Gr8
06-24-2016, 03:53 AM
He's only 26 though. He had a down yr but I don't think he's on the decline. Well maybe he's slowing down because of injuries but I think he's still capable of being an impact player.

"Allegedly"

thenaj17
06-24-2016, 05:22 AM

Edit: If I'm wrong about this, I apologize as I could be getting this rule confused with something else. Regardless, it's kind of a moot point because I seriously doubt that the Thunder will deal Oladipo after how much they coveted him on draft night a few years back.

Yes, it's signed free agents that have to wait to be traded.

And it depends what they get offered, but they better do it fast to reassure Durant they will do everything to win...unlike letting Harden go

uprightciti
06-24-2016, 06:44 AM
Oladipo Waiters Kanter? So...I guess it's a rebuild!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyRealist
06-24-2016, 07:46 AM
This came up in the first couple of pages so I'm not sure it's been answered, but I'm fairly certain the rule is that players traded for other players cannot be traded WITH OTHER PLAYERS for 2 months. He can be traded by himself, which is what happened to Luke Ridnour.

IndyRealist
06-24-2016, 07:48 AM
Well, Vogel apparently said "go out and get me a rim protector" and they did.

FraziersKnicks
06-24-2016, 08:09 AM
On the surface this makes OKC look pretty deep. I do feel Oladipo is too similar to Westbrook though... Ball-dominant, poor long range shooting, slashing athletic guard.

The spacing might be an issue playing him and Westbrook together.

Also if KD DOES re-sign are the notoriously cheap Thunder gonna be able to re-sign both Westbrook AND Oladipo next off season?

Already $20m+ committed to Kanter/Singler (horrible). KD is obviously gonna get a max. Westy will get a max and Oladipo is probably gonna get offered close to a max. No way I see them paying 4 guys (KD, Westy, Kanter, Oladipo) close to $100m.

Unless they can get someone to take Kanter's awful contract, it doesn't look likely that they'll have all 3 of KD, Westy and Oladipo past the end of next season (if KD hasn't already signed somewhere else).

So if KD re-signs and they re-sign Westbrook next summer (obviously their target), on the surface this looks like Ibaka for a one year Oladipo/Ilyasova rental and Sabonis.

Great short term and basically get to take a flyer on a promising euro rookie long term.

I don't see it shifting the power massively though.

DboneG
06-24-2016, 08:13 AM
Kevin Durant is gone.

Oladipo is a young volume shooting guy. He's not trying to go to anyone's bench. He's trying to be a scoring champion, MVP, bla bla bla... So, picking up Oladipo OKC is preparing for the departure of Durant. If Durant leaves, OKC still have two high volume scorers. If Durant stays...OKC will be asking Oladipo to come off the bench. Something he wasn't happy about in Orlando. And could rock OKC's boat. Three volume scorers don't work well...someone out of the three has to concede.
Wade, LeBron,Bosh
LeBron, Kyrie, Love
Durant, RWB, Oladipo...won't work as starters. IMO

Why mess with something that got you one game from the Finals. It didn't need an overhaul or change, just tweaking.

Ibaka was one of the reasons Durant and Westbrook could do their thing. He had their back on defense, high volume scorers tend to take off on plays. Ibaka is a great defender and good rebounder, OKC will miss that. Ibaka didn't need the ball to score. Another plus.

Last, in defense of the trade, maybe Durant talked to management before the end of the season, and gave his wishes. "I don't like Ibaka as a teammate, I want him gone". WHO KNOWS!
Sabonis could work, but, it will take time for him to develop.
Ilyasova is a throw in...IMO. He can shoot, but, that's about it with him. He's garbage.

IndyRealist
06-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Kevin Durant is gone.

Oladipo is a young volume shooting guy. He's not trying to go to anyone's bench. He's trying to be a scoring champion, MVP, bla bla bla... So, picking up Oladipo OKC is preparing for the departure of Durant. If Durant leaves, OKC still have two high volume scorers. If Durant stays...OKC will be asking Oladipo to come off the bench. Something he wasn't happy about in Orlando. And could rock OKC's boat. Three volume scorers don't work well...someone out of the three has to concede.
Wade, LeBron,Bosh
LeBron, Kyrie, Love

Why mess with something that got you one game from the Finals. It didn't need an overhaul or change, just tweaking.

Ibaka was one of the reasons Durant and Westbrook could do their thing. He had their back on defense, high volume scorers tend to take off on plays. Ibaka is a great defender and good rebounder, OKC will miss that. Ibaka didn't need the ball to score. Another plus.

Last, in defense of the trade, maybe Durant talked to management before the end of the season, and gave his wishes. "I don't like Ibaka as a teammate, I want him gone". WHO KNOWS!
Ilyasova is a throw in...IMO. He can shoot, but, that's about it with him. He's garbage.

This was meant to appease Durant. He doesn't leave this year. He'll do a 1 + 1 and consider leaving next summer. I doubt they care how Oladipo feels about it. If Durant and/or Westbrook leave, they max Oladipo. If both stay, they say "we've built a contender for the next 5 years, but we need you to take a paycut." By then they'll know what they have with Sabonis.

I also expect a Kanter trade, with how Adams has been playing.

FraziersKnicks
06-24-2016, 08:31 AM
I forgot they need to pay Adams as well next summer! God I'm not sure how they're gonna afford all these guys.

And NO ONE is touching that Kanter contract. What a mistake that was.

IndyRealist
06-24-2016, 08:34 AM
I forgot they need to pay Adams as well next summer! God I'm not sure how they're gonna afford all these guys.

And NO ONE is touching that Kanter contract. What a mistake that was.

There are teams in need of a scoring big that would take him in a straight salary dump. If someone will pay a 2nd rounder, someone is probably willing to pay more.

DboneG
06-24-2016, 08:51 AM
This was meant to appease Durant. He doesn't leave this year. He'll do a 1 + 1 and consider leaving next summer. I doubt they care how Oladipo feels about it. If Durant and/or Westbrook leave, they max Oladipo. If both stay, they say "we've built a contender for the next 5 years, but we need you to take a paycut." By then they'll know what they have with Sabonis.

I also expect a Kanter trade, with how Adams has been playing.

Wow! A Kanter trade...I guess that's why I'm a PSD poster and not a GM. I wouldn't touch none of those parts. OKC were one game from the Finals. And it was part because of Durant playing hero ball in games 5 and 6. Coach not making adjustments...bla bla

Dade County
06-24-2016, 08:57 AM
this was basically trading Ibaka for Olidapo(or however you spell his name)

Sabonis is a project who may be good by the time Westbrook leaves in free agency and especially if KD decides to go then he definitely wont lead OKC back to prominence and that Ilvasoya(however you spell it) is a journeyman at best who has been traded way too often for being what he is, a good journeyman who doesn't dominate

of course Ibaka isn't what he was shot blocking/interior wise 5 yrs ago but his jumpshot wasn't like that either so he basically flip flopped what he wasn't good at but is still capable of erasing shots every often

OKC didn't fleece Magic since Ibaka was part of the big 3/4 originally along with Harden at that time and none of the Magic players were part of any big 3, and no matter how dumb of a move it was they chose at that time to keep Ibaka for defensive interior reasons over Harden, I would say financial but they went and gave Singler/Kanter more money than it was to keep Harden who wanted 60mill to stay in OKC, I think those two deals for singler/kanter were in the range of 75-80mill total, what a waste of breaking of a true dynasty in the making over 5million dollars(they offered 55mill to the Beard)

KD could leave for this reason.

It doesn't make any sense, if a franchise doesn't want to go into the tax to keep it's on players then whats the over all goal of this franchise...smh

During free agency, other GM's will bring this up to KD. Wasting KD prime years for stupidness.

Lmao so they're gonna start that bum Roberson over him? Are you high? The guy teams literally leave open? Oladipo is starting and running with them.

He could start, but most likely every other poster is right and you might be wrong.

They are trying to recreate having that 3rd option, when they stupidly traded away Harden. It's very clear to see that.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but just give it some thought.

Dade County
06-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Kevin Durant is gone.

Wade, LeBron,Bosh
LeBron, Kyrie, Love

Money post.

Vinylman
06-24-2016, 09:02 AM

I think a lot of people are really missing how big of a deal this is...

OKC is literally off the hook and WON"T have to sign him

Vinylman
06-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Is Illayasova actually going to be with the Thunder this season or could they buy him out or possibly just trade him away?

team option

FlashBolt
06-24-2016, 09:13 AM
Money post.

Money post? Because he said KD is gone and that makes you think he might go to miami? lol..

TheDish87
06-24-2016, 09:15 AM
love this for both sides. I think Ibaka fits great next to Vuc on both ends of the floor. Dipo wasnt living up to the hyp and they lacked shooting with a Dipo/Payton backcourt.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 09:25 AM
I don't think Ersan was a throw in. Thunder knew what they were doing here.

I don't know if you're a magic fan and watched all the games like I did. Yes ersan can hit threes and take charges but I'm telling you he sucks he does some of the dumbest things and take some of the worst shots I've ever seen an NBA player do he is horrible not just coming from me from other magic fans and from the media that covers the magic so please stop saying he is worth anything he isn't

WaDe03
06-24-2016, 09:26 AM
wade isnt broken but he isnt that good anymore either unless 19/4/4 with 3TO per game on 46 percent shooting and no 3 point shot and meh to bad defense is good :shrug:

Check those playoff numbers real fast. Those are the numbers that really matter. Keep in mind we blew the Hornets out 3 games so his stats may take a dip from those games.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 09:34 AM
It's not about Ersan at all man. He is just a throw in. Thing is it had to be either the 11th pick OR Oladipo, not both. I mean giving up a young asset like Oladipo alone is too much for a declining Ibaka. And then yall added the 11th pick... :speechless: Your GM must not value high picks like most other GMs. That 11th pick could get you another very decent player (example: Hawks got rid of Teague for the 12th pick).

Bro no duh its not about ersan I was just saying all that cuz I hear pple acting like he was an asset given in this deal lol all he was, was a contract to make the trade work.

I agree tho i don't get why we gave the 11th with dipo

Dipo and ersan for money to match seems plenty generous lol

Also people really need to stop saying stuff like he is old or on the decline the dude is almost 27 he is still just entering his prime and he has the chance under a coach like Frank Vogel to get back to his better defensive days...

Like I said before wait and see what other moves we make and how it pans out for both sides

FlashBolt
06-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Check those playoff numbers real fast. Those are the numbers that really matter. Keep in mind we blew the Hornets out 3 games so his stats may take a dip from those games.

Still about the same. He's still good and I'd take him over many SG in the playoffs but that's the stage where he's at right now. He's going to demand a max too so if you think he's worth that, then your franchise is taking a huge gamble. He's going to be 35 in 6 months.

Vinylman
06-24-2016, 10:32 AM
On the surface this makes OKC look pretty deep. I do feel Oladipo is too similar to Westbrook though... Ball-dominant, poor long range shooting, slashing athletic guard.

The spacing might be an issue playing him and Westbrook together.

Also if KD DOES re-sign are the notoriously cheap Thunder gonna be able to re-sign both Westbrook AND Oladipo next off season?

Already $20m+ committed to Kanter/Singler (horrible). KD is obviously gonna get a max. Westy will get a max and Oladipo is probably gonna get offered close to a max. No way I see them paying 4 guys (KD, Westy, Kanter, Oladipo) close to $100m.

Unless they can get someone to take Kanter's awful contract, it doesn't look likely that they'll have all 3 of KD, Westy and Oladipo past the end of next season (if KD hasn't already signed somewhere else).

So if KD re-signs and they re-sign Westbrook next summer (obviously their target), on the surface this looks like Ibaka for a one year Oladipo/Ilyasova rental and Sabonis.

Great short term and basically get to take a flyer on a promising euro rookie long term.

I don't see it shifting the power massively though.

They can keep everyone... the cap goes up again next year and everyone you are talking about can be signed over the cap. The projected LT line in 2017/18 is estimated to be $127 million which they won't come close to.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/06/18/nba-salary-cap-going-up-more-than-first-projected/86086268/

Not to mention that moving Kanter would not be difficult because he will only have 2 years left on his deal and by that point his deal will be reasonable.

Vinylman
06-24-2016, 10:35 AM
There are teams in need of a scoring big that would take him in a straight salary dump. If someone will pay a 2nd rounder, someone is probably willing to pay more.

exactly... his deal is only looked at as an overpay because he is on OKC

After next offseason his deal will be less than average for a player of his caliber.

WaDe03
06-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Still about the same. He's still good and I'd take him over many SG in the playoffs but that's the stage where he's at right now. He's going to demand a max too so if you think he's worth that, then your franchise is taking a huge gamble. He's going to be 35 in 6 months.

He wasn't getting scored on in the playoffs either and as I said we played 14 games with at least 5 being blowouts for better or worse so he was hoopin. 52% from 3 as well. He won't demand a max I guarantee that.

FlashBolt
06-24-2016, 11:10 AM
He wasn't getting scored on in the playoffs either and as I said we played 14 games with at least 5 being blowouts for better or worse so he was hoopin. 52% from 3 as well. He won't demand a max I guarantee that.

Well, I don't know what to tell you but Wade isn't a good three point shooter. 52% is good but the amount he takes makes it irrelevant. If he were taking at least 3 per game, you might have an argument but Wade shooting like that is luck and you know it. He's not going to somehow become a great shooter. As for not getting scored on in the playoffs, well, DeRozan couldn't score against anyone the entire playoffs and it's not like Jeremy Lin is a scorer anyhow. I don't know about demanding a max but I heard that he was looking for that a few years ago. He's 35, man. We've seen the best of him.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 11:17 AM
So who will be thunders starting pf next year ? I know kanter is very soft on d like vucevic ..... isn't that going to hurt them alot losing Ibaka down low ?

JLynn943
06-24-2016, 11:35 AM
I like Oladipo a lot. I don't get this at all for Orlando.

Gibby23
06-24-2016, 11:49 AM
So who will be thunders starting pf next year ? I know kanter is very soft on d like vucevic ..... isn't that going to hurt them alot losing Ibaka down low ?

They can start Sabonis, he is NBA ready and can step right and space the floor, they can also start Ersan Ilyasova. They have options. They have rim protection in Adams, so they can do some different things.

FlashBolt
06-24-2016, 11:56 AM

Offseason just began bro. I think we're looking at Pau.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 12:04 PM
That's why I'm asking bro chill lol

Heediot
06-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Offseason just began bro. I think we're looking at Pau.

Pau is a weak defender at this point in his career. Maybe try and nab Brandon Wright via trade.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Yea and sabonis is nowhere near ready to be starting at pf and ersan i pray for you guys he is not your starter.... wait and see him play night in and night out and you will understand my point. I like the pau fit tho

ManRam
06-24-2016, 12:17 PM
A gamble for both teams.

As a Magic fan my literal three biggest concerns with this team going forward were 1) how the parts just don't fit, 2) how there's very little shooting on the roster and 3) how there's no rim protection. I thought it would be true so I searched old posts to verify it, but Ibaka was the one guy I kept saying the Magic needed to find to ever make Vucevic and that Elf/Vic backcourt ever work. Or an Ibaka clone. I hoped AG could turn into that, and Ibaka hasn't quite been his 2011-2014 self, but he's still (hopefully...I see you Thon) just 26.

We removed a part of the "parts don't fit" and added a part that does fit. We didn't lose a guy who can shoot and replaced him with a comprable shooter at a position where shooting is rarer. We added a rim protector. Three needs addressed to varying levels.

Magic fans have long overvalued Oladipo for a few reasons: he was the first high pick of a rebuild, he was the guy who brought us hope, he was great in the dunk contest and he's a tremendous guy with a great personality. But none of that matters. The reality is that he's more Dion Waters than he is James Harden. I hate when fans **** on players their team has just traded away, but I've never really caped for Vic. Maybe he makes that next step eventually but I haven't seen much to suggest it. And I think it's a curious fit next to Russ to be honest. He's not good without the ball in his hands.

Magic fans got what they have mostly been clamoring for for a while now. The fact that it required relinquishing Vic clouds that and makes it harder to be happy, but alas.

I'm willing to be patient with this. I can see it working out for both teams. I cans see it backfiring wildly for both teams. If Ibaka leaves after a year than it obviously becomes a terrible trade. I'd assume the Magic will empty their wallets to make sure that doesn't happen.

This trade will grade itself as time goes on. I'm not going to panic or celebrate now. No reason to.

Gibby23
06-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Yea and sabonis is nowhere near ready to be starting at pf and ersan i pray for you guys he is not your starter.... wait and see him play night in and night out and you will understand my point. I like the pau fit tho

Sabonis can absolutely start. He isn't going to some young up and coming team, he would be surrounded by Durant (probably), Westbrook, Oladipo, and Adams.

da ThRONe
06-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Trust me, he won't... held back is an overstatement.

Why would I trust you?

WaDe03
06-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Well, I don't know what to tell you but Wade isn't a good three point shooter. 52% is good but the amount he takes makes it irrelevant. If he were taking at least 3 per game, you might have an argument but Wade shooting like that is luck and you know it. He's not going to somehow become a great shooter. As for not getting scored on in the playoffs, well, DeRozan couldn't score against anyone the entire playoffs and it's not like Jeremy Lin is a scorer anyhow. I don't know about demanding a max but I heard that he was looking for that a few years ago. He's 35, man. We've seen the best of him.

You're right he's not the best player in the world anymore so he's not what he was. He's not a scrub like some try to make him sound. He played great defensively regardless of who you bring up, he didn't guard them every possession. He shot a respectable amount of 3s and took some very tough ones and knocked them down. I'm not saying he's great but he doesn't suck when he's focused on shooting them. Up until the point they were eliminated he was a top 3 player in the playoffs.

ManRam
06-24-2016, 12:31 PM

Adios!

Actually, I think you're being overly fatalistic about this trade. This won't be the moment that ends your fandom. Maybe it comes, but it won't be this. This isn't worth giving up on a team you've loved for such a long time. Especially if the Magic retain him (that has to be the plan...they have to like their odds). The Magic got the best player in the trade, after all.

And yeah, I went from "holy **** they moved Oladipo...I wasn't expecting that" to "well, the guy we got is the guy we've long wanted" to "I actually am 100% OK with this".

jerellh528
06-24-2016, 12:43 PM
At initial glance and value, this is a fantastic trade for okc and terrible for magic. We'll have to watch the games to see how it plays out though. But I like this for okc on paper

DboneG
06-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Article... "Did The Thunder Consult With KD Before Ibaka Trade?"

The Oklahoma City traded Serge Ibaka to the Magic earlier today in a some-what surprising move, and it appears that the Thunder made the decision without consulting Kevin Durant.

Thunder beat writer Anthony Slater shared the below tweet, which states that the Thunder decided to trade Ibaka without knowing if Durant is going to leave or stay................NOT GOOD

Kevin Durant made your franchise what it is today. You didn't have the courtesy to see what his feeling were on players before pulling the trigger. WOW!
This says that Kevin Durant may be gone. They got Oladipo because we saw how things were with only Westbrook as the only scorer. Rough. If Durant bolts, they have two scorers still. One problem is: Oladipo can score but, he's on the short side in height.

Kevin Durant, you don't tell us what to do...if you are coming back, cool! If not: Oh well! Very interesting.

DboneG
06-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Last thing on this trade...Oladipo isn't putting in all that hard work to come off someone's bench. He and D-Wade put in HARD WORK during the off season. Oladipo is doing this to become a star, make the all-star team, top 5 scoring, scoring champ, MVP. Not to get the 6th man of the year award.

A guy like Jamal Crawford will take that role because it extends his career. Andre Iguodala took the role because he didn't want to turn over the apple cart. GS had something special, so, he said ok. LOOK AT HIS BODY. You think he put in work like that to come off the bench?! NO SIR!

Manu Ginobili, Jason Terry, J.J. Barea kind of guys will accept this role. Not a guy like Oladipo. If Oladipo accepts a role coming off the bench, I'll be totally surprised.

Gibby23
06-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Adios!

Actually, I think you're being overly fatalistic about this trade. This won't be the moment that ends your fandom. Maybe it comes, but it won't be this. This isn't worth giving up on a team you've loved for such a long time. Especially if the Magic retain him (that has to be the plan...they have to like their odds). The Magic got the best player in the trade, after all.

And yeah, I went from "holy **** they moved Oladipo...I wasn't expecting that" to "well, the guy we got is the guy we've long wanted" to "I actually am 100% OK with this".

Oladipo and Ibaka are close as far as on court value. The Magic got a player that showed signs of decline and is a FA after this year for 2 young assets, one who is good and could have been kept around at a contract lower than what Ibaka is going to get and another young drafted player who has a chance to be a pretty good player.

ManRam
06-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Last thing on this trade...Oladipo isn't putting in all that hard work to come off someone's bench. He and D-Wade put in HARD WORK during the off season. Oladipo is doing this to become a star, make the all-star team, top 5 scoring, scoring champ, MVP. Not to get the 6th man of the year award.

A guy like Jamal Crawford will take that role because it extends his career. Andre Iguodala took the role because he didn't want to turn over the apple cart. GS had something special, so, he said ok. LOOK AT HIS BODY. You think he put in work like that to come off the bench?! NO SIR!

Manu Ginobili, Jason Terry, J.J. Barea kind of guys will accept this role. Not a guy like Oladipo. If Oladipo accepts a role coming off the bench, I'll be totally surprised.

This is silly. The notion that only stars are the ones that work hard is just so sillyHonestly, right now what he is best served as is a 6th man. Harden was a 6th man. It happens. He's not anyhing close to an all-star, let alone those other things. He's a great guy too. I can't imagine him becoming petulant because he's not starting on a top team in the West. If he becomes what you think he will (or what you think he thinks he will) then he'll earn all of that through the merits of his play.

This is a weird post. I don't think he has this personality that you're suggesting. Yes. He's highly dedicated and a hard-worker. But I think he's a team-first guy who realizes he's young, has work to do and room to improve. I don't think there's this ego with him.

flea
06-24-2016, 01:19 PM
I like it for both teams, but for the Thunder more.

Thunder POV:

Ibaka has value because he can shoot and defend, but his weaknesses on the glass and the fact that the Thunder paid Kanter meant he was becoming expendable. I doubt the Thunder wanted to pay Ibaka after next year, whether Durant/Westbrook stayed or not. Now is the perfect time to get ahead of your roster crunch and get value, especially if you think you won't hurt yourself too much next year. They did that.

I don't know if they'll keep Ilyasova but Sabonis is a crafty big who can contribute immediately. I didn't watch much of him but what I saw in the tournament was impressive. Ilyasova can at least provide shooting at the 4, which is good insurance in case Sabonis just falls flat on his face in his rookie year.

Oladipo is a big upgrade over Waiters. Neither is a great shooter but Oladipo is a much better slasher, which is nice for their roster which is basically bigs+stars. Westbrook is better off the ball more where he can limit turnovers, and Durant isn't really the sort of playmaker you want handling the ball in all the times Westbrook isn't. Floor spacing is not as necessary for a guy like Durant, who is a pure scorer that can get his facing up, in the post, or on the drive and having a 3rd outlet option with some legitimacy (and another guy to run in transition) will make the Thunder even scarier. Plus, Oladipo is insurance if Westbrook jets.

Magic:

Everyone knew a guard had to go, and I personally think they moved the right one. Payton is a worse shooter but neither guy do you want shooting the ball very much. With the off-ball options the Magic have Payton makes a lot more sense than a scoring guard whose only offensive asset is slashing. Ibaka is the ideal frontcourt mate for Vuc, and it gives the Magic a tough defensive unit with Gordon at the 3 (where he is better off playing the majority of his minutes IMO, especially in an offense that features a center as its best scorer). There's still a lot of versatility and the Magic have a clearer picture of their team's identity rather than just a collection of "assets" as they make their bid to get out of Sixers purgatory.

They could use another playmaker, but maybe Mario turns into that. Fournier is an underrated ballhandling wing who is very capable in the P&R. Now all 3 of their frontcourt starters can play to roll or pop, and they potentially have 3 backcourt guys who can handle plus a center who can score on his own pretty well. That's probably a playoff team, maybe even a top 4 seed one if it gels and either Mario or Gordon becomes an All-Star. It's going to be a defense-first team that will make life miserable night-in and night-out.

ManRam
06-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Oladipo and Ibaka are close as far as on court value. The Magic got a player that showed signs of decline and is a FA after this year for 2 young assets, one who is good and could have been kept around at a contract lower than what Ibaka is going to get and another young drafted player who has a chance to be a pretty good player.

He's 26. Maybe last year is a sign to come, maybe it isn't. But what he was from 2011-2014 is something Victor is a long ways away from being.

Ersan was gone if we didn't trade him. I think he's a decent player and will help OKC. Sabonis is an 11th pick so flip a coin.

Gibby23
06-24-2016, 01:30 PM
He's 26. Maybe last year is a sign to come, maybe it isn't. But what he was from 2011-2014 is something Victor is a long ways away from being.

Ersan was gone if we didn't trade him. I think he's a decent player and will help OKC. Sabonis is an 11th pick so flip a coin.

Thats great, the Magic didn't get Ibaka in 2011-2014 they are getting the year older version in 2016 that we just saw. He probably isn't 26 either.

ManRam
06-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Thats great, the Magic didn't get Ibaka in 2011-2014 they are getting the year older version in 2016 that we just saw. He probably isn't 26 either.

I'm aware of this. We'll see. I mean, is it crazier to think that maybe he returns a bit to form than it is to be mentioning the words "all-star" and "Victor Oladipo" in the same sentence? IDK. At least we know Ibaka has top-flight ability in some capacity. Dipo can dunk, sing and get along with guys. OK.

Really my underlying point here is that we just have to see how it plays out. Magic fans RIPPED the front office for the Redick trade, for the Afflalo trade, for the Gordon selection, etc....I just don't get how they can continue to be so fatalistic about everything and waste all that energy when they can instead just let it play out. Magic fans drive me more nuts with this stuff than the other fans of the other teams I root for.

We've been clamoring for change and addressing needs and now we're freaking out. It's odd. I can see this both working and failing for both teams so I'm not going to be like 95% of the world and speak in absolutes, threaten to stop being a fan of my favorite team, or really mock either team. It's just dumb. We're all wrong too often to be so sure of ourselves.

I basically hate every Magic "core" player not named AG (or Mario...but that's probably just wishful thinking, I'm sure I'll start to turn on him soon) so I'm a Magic fan outlier. But I'm happy we shook things up, started to worry about "fit" and let's see how it goes. Ibaka seems motivated. Hopefully he is. Maybe he's not, maybe he leaves in a year, and then AT THAT POINT I will express anger and a sense of discontent. But why bother now?

Chronz
06-24-2016, 02:04 PM
If Ibaka truly is 30, this is a bad move.

Gibby23
06-24-2016, 02:07 PM
If Ibaka truly is 30, this is a bad move.

Has to be older than 26, look like he was in a decline athletically. He was still athletic, but not like a 26 year old should be based on what he showed when he was "24" or "25"

BDawk4Prez
06-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Ibaka was the 3rd best big man on the team. He's regressed hard, doesn't rebound at a high level any longer, and is basically just a 3 point shooter. I like Adams and Kantur more going forward.

Chronz
06-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Has to be older than 26, look like he was in a decline athletically. He was still athletic, but not like a 26 year old should be based on what he showed when he was "24" or "25"

It happened to Blake too, doesn't have to be a negative. Maybe he will never be the athlete he used to be but since hes 26, can sustain this level into his 30's. Like Rookie Blake was cramming on everyone regardless of spacing, now he needs more space to operate but hes still really athletic. I want to say his elite athleticism lasted like 3 years but he should be this strong/springy until hes 32 or something.

Sadds The Gr8
06-24-2016, 02:38 PM

"Allegedly"

5ass
06-24-2016, 02:48 PM
"Allegedly"

We'll have to wait and see if Ibaka is declining or not. I'm not going to consider him older than his age just because some reddit poster said so.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-24-2016, 03:15 PM
I don't know if you're a magic fan and watched all the games like I did. Yes ersan can hit threes and take charges but I'm telling you he sucks he does some of the dumbest things and take some of the worst shots I've ever seen an NBA player do he is horrible not just coming from me from other magic fans and from the media that covers the magic so please stop saying he is worth anything he isn't

You can believe what you want man, but the dude has value. I agree he took some really idiotic shots at times and made a lot of stupid plays. But the point is that he shoots 3s at an efficient clip as a stretch 4 and is durable. He holds instant value regardless of your opinion.

Trust me dude I'm just as pissed off as you, as I live in Central/South Florida and watch a # of Magic games, but it's time to start blaming Hennigan for this. Vic had no business going anywhere.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 03:20 PM
There is no stat you could show me to prove to me ersan isn't garbage i watched with my own eyes in awe he was in the game ever he was bad and yes he van hit 3s sometimes I hope so he is in the NBA.

Everyone is way over hyping dipo I'd rather take fournier moving forward over dipo honestly.

And someone had said something about dipo being cheaper then serge after next year but I doubt that, dipo is going to get paid big.

I'm with man ram 100% I don't hate this trade like everyone else I dont get the point of getting so worked up until we see what happens and how it pans out.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-24-2016, 03:36 PM
There is no stat you could show me to prove to me ersan isn't garbage i watched with my own eyes in awe he was in the game ever he was bad and yes he van hit 3s sometimes I hope so he is in the NBA.

Everyone is way over hyping dipo I'd rather take fournier moving forward over dipo honestly.

And someone had said something about dipo being cheaper then serge after next year but I doubt that, dipo is going to get paid big.

I'm with man ram 100% I don't hate this trade like everyone else I dont get the point of getting so worked up until we see what happens and how it pans out.

Um 37% career 3 point shooter? You sound like your trying to justify your own reasoning that the trade wasn't as lopsided as people say it was. Yes Ersan sucked but so did Ibaka.

Really? People are overhyping dipo now and you'd prefer Fournier over him? OK dude.

Easy to say all this in hindsight, right?

5ass
06-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Um 37% career 3 point shooter? You sound like your trying to justify your own reasoning that the trade wasn't as lopsided as people say it was. Yes Ersan sucked but so did Ibaka.

Really? People are overhyping dipo now and you'd prefer Fournier over him? OK dude.

Ersan is really an inconsistent shooter though. His biggest strength is his hustle, but really he isn't very good at anything. He's a fine rotation player but nowhere near as good as ibaka.

Fournier has potential to be a better scorer than Oladipo. Despite the difference in athleticism Fournier is a much better finisher at the rim.

LaLa_Land
06-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Serge Ibaka might have developed differently as a player if he had garnered more than a mere supporting role - especially early on in his career. Without a developed post-up game or one on one ability, he has become a glorified jumpshooter now that his athleticism is no longer other-worldly.

Serge is nowhere near what many thought he might have turned into through the lens of his statistics a few years ago. Bottom line, this was an absolute haul by Presti in exchage for a declining stretch four. Oladipo is an incredible 2-way piece.

Kevin Durant will make teams around the league dance for him, but rest assured he'll be back in OKC on a Lebron-esque two-year opt-out deal. The Thunder have the most talented roster in the league especially considering Golden State's salary cap implications. No way Durant passes up on one more year in OKC, they'll probably come out as the favorites this season.

FlashBolt
06-24-2016, 04:28 PM
You guys haven't watched Ibaka play if you think he can be better than he was in OKC. He's a good fourth option player but you are going to be disappointed if you think he's anything else.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Ersan is really an inconsistent shooter though. His biggest strength is his hustle, but really he isn't very good at anything. He's a fine rotation player but nowhere near as good as ibaka.

Fournier has potential to be a better scorer than Oladipo. Despite the difference in athleticism Fournier is a much better finisher at the rim.
So in your opinion, was he a throw-in?

You're saying you would rather max out someone in their contract year who was OK or a proven younger player with a whole lot more potential who is also getting better every year? Common sense.

5ass
06-24-2016, 04:35 PM
So in your opinion, was he a throw-in?

You're saying you would rather max out someone in their contract year who was OK or a proven younger player with a whole lot more potential who is also getting better every year? Common sense.

Yeah ersan is definitely a throw in. I dont think the Magic were going to even pick up his option.

I already said I don't like the trade...

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 04:38 PM

Yea I'm 28 years old and.lying to protect my team. Bro stfu with that. Never said I was justifying the trade just saying ersan sucks .... I am telling you what I saw from him as a magic fan last year he was pathetic to watch thats all.

I also do like fournier better then dipo long term. Dipo is great but fournier is a leader and doesn't disappear in clutch and can also shoot better. That's my opinion, and ibaka didn't suck he has declined and he is easily 3-4 options on a great team. Not to mention he was amazing for the Thunder in the playoffs against the warriors.

I don't play homer games I dont love this trade and I don't hate it either but I love how everyone can predict the future of this trade without letting it play out.

Trade makes sense i get it, ibaka fills a huge need for us and we had someone in fournier who could fill dipo shoes and use dipo to fill a need .... I don't see why we included the 11th at all but o well gotta see how it turns out.

Honestly I dont think dipo will do great in okc next to westbrook, he will be a 3rd option if kd stays and dipo is not good without having the ball often like he did here in Orlando but that's just my opinion.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 04:42 PM
You guys haven't watched Ibaka play if you think he can be better than he was in OKC. He's a good fourth option player but you are going to be disappointed if you think he's anything else.

Maybe your right i thought he was great in the thunder playoff runs. Vogel made hibbert look good tho so maybe ... haha

But no I just don't see the point of making such bold statements over something we have no idea how it will play out

HandsOnTheWheel
06-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Yea I'm 28 years old and.lying to protect my team. Bro stfu with that. Never said I was justifying the trade just saying ersan sucks .... I am telling you what I saw from him as a magic fan last year he was pathetic to watch thats all.

I also do like fournier better then dipo long term. Dipo is great but fournier is a leader and doesn't disappear in clutch and can also shoot better. That's my opinion, and ibaka didn't suck he has declined and he is easily 3-4 options on a great team. Not to mention he was amazing for the Thunder in the playoffs against the warriors.

I don't play homer games I dont love this trade and I don't hate it either but I love how everyone can predict the future of this trade without letting it play out.

Trade makes sense i get it, ibaka fills a huge need for us and we had someone in fournier who could fill dipo shoes and use dipo to fill a need .... I don't see why we included the 11th at all but o well gotta see how it turns out.

Honestly I dont think dipo will do great in okc next to westbrook, he will be a 3rd option if kd stays and dipo is not good without having the ball often like he did here in Orlando but that's just my opinion.

So you're basing all this about Fournier off of last year? You do realize he was in his contract year? You love how everyone is predicting the future yet you seem to be assuming that Fournier is going to continue his level of play from his contract year on after the Magic max him out.

As much as I want to be optimistic about this trade there is no grounds for being optimistic and I think you should just admit how lobsided of a trade it was instead of continuing to defend it.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-24-2016, 04:57 PM
Yeah ersan is definitely a throw in. I dont think the Magic were going to even pick up his option.

I already said I don't like the trade...
You were defending Fournier though?

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 05:04 PM
That's because I don't think it's as lopsided as people are acting that's all. Ersan is trash , swapping dipo for ibaka makes sense for our teams needs and having fournier to replace dipo. I don't like that we included the pick that made no sense to me.

And no me saying I like Fournier better is not the same as people stating as fact what this trade means for each team before they see anything from it. Me saying I like Fournier better is no different than you saying that you think ersan is a valuable piece it's just our opinions

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 05:06 PM

I believe he also likes Fournier better he just hates the trade because of what we gave up to get Ibaka which I understand like I said I hate the fact that we included the pick it makes no sense

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 05:09 PM
I know Toronto was also trying to get Ibaka so who knows maybe Thunder use them as leverage to get more out of us.

You gotta remember we are the Orlando Magic players don't just want to come flocking here in free agency and I think Rob is at that point where he needs to step up and win or he is going to get fired and since we have a hard time getting people in free agency he went out and got a name through a trade could be a risk that saves his job or it could be a risk that gets him fired

5ass
06-24-2016, 05:16 PM

As far as scoring, I think Fournier has more potential. He's already a top 20 3pt shooter in the league in both attempts/game and 3pt%.

Fournier at 23 compares well to guys like derozen, Thompson, Hayward at that age.

Klay (per 36 minutes)- 18.4-2.2-3.1 shooting 44.4%-41.7%-79.5% TS%55.5

Fournier (per 36 minutes)- 17-3-3.2 shooting 46.2%-40%-83.6% TS%58.7

5ass
06-24-2016, 05:21 PM
I believe he also likes Fournier better he just hates the trade because of what we gave up to get Ibaka which I understand like I said I hate the fact that we included the pick it makes no sense

I wouldn't say I like Fournier better, I'm just saying he's underrated. I've always been a big fan of Fournier though even going back to when he was with the Nuggets.

I honestly don't care about the pick at all. I think Oladipo on his own is too much to give up for Ibaka, but I could be wrong. We'll see. So far I've been a Hennigan supporter because I think he has great foresight.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Yeah I trust in Hennigan even the moves he's made in the past that seems ******** and it up being great so I'll let it play out like I said

eDush
06-24-2016, 05:35 PM
Looking to add depth to contend with gsw and the spurs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Not if KD leaves which he likely will so they won't be able to contend with the Warriors, especially if he signs with us :)

:dance:

COOLbeans
06-24-2016, 06:27 PM
Okc is gonna represent the West. What the hell is going on in Orlando?

The Warriors are still better than them with The addition of Oladipo and Sabonis. The Warriors haven't made one move yet and you're already calling the WCF.. What the hell is going on with you except for being a spiteful Lakers fan?

D-Leethal
06-24-2016, 08:38 PM
On paper Serge Ibaka is the prime fit next to Vucevic. Traditional offensive Cs with poor D instincts really need someone like Ibaka next to them at the 4 to have a shot of being part of a winning formula in today's league. That said, they gave up a ton for a guy on the last year of his deal. OKC looks like they got better, Dipo is a great defensive weapon to have against the Splash Bro's. Not sure how this fares in their quest to keep KD though - Ibaka was a big part of the lifeblood of that team and seemed to have a very good relationship with KD.

McAllen Tx
06-25-2016, 05:30 AM
My prediction a couple of months ago for this upcoming season was that KD (S/T) was gonna get traded for Blake Griffen.

Of course some more pieces would be added but OKC set themselves up nicely for it.

DboneG
06-25-2016, 07:03 AM
Article...."Durant fine with Ibaka trade"

"Kevin Durant doesn't have an issue with the Oklahoma City Thunder's trade of longtime teammate Serge Ibaka, league sources told ESPN's Zach Lowe."

Ibaka, who will become an unrestricted free agent himself next summer, had reportedly grown annoyed by his reduced touches with the Thunder. The Congolese-born Spaniard hit five-year lows in scoring (12.6), rebounding (6.8), and 3-point shooting (32.6 percent) last season, partially a byproduct of more minutes for Steven Adams and Enes Kanter. - See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/durant-fine-with-ibaka-trade-414934.html#sthash.fvhUCzdB.dpuf

Durant is ok with his running mate of 7 years being traded. Interesting.

IndyRealist
06-25-2016, 09:49 AM
On paper Serge Ibaka is the prime fit next to Vucevic. Traditional offensive Cs with poor D instincts really need someone like Ibaka next to them at the 4 to have a shot of being part of a winning formula in today's league. That said, they gave up a ton for a guy on the last year of his deal. OKC looks like they got better, Dipo is a great defensive weapon to have against the Splash Bro's. Not sure how this fares in their quest to keep KD though - Ibaka was a big part of the lifeblood of that team and seemed to have a very good relationship with KD.

Oladipo, or anyone really, taking minutes from Waiters is a big positive.

Scoots
06-25-2016, 06:24 PM
I like Oladipo. I like Sabonis. They fit OKC and they help. I think the move makes OKC better.

Aust
06-25-2016, 07:23 PM
The Warriors are still better than them with The addition of Oladipo and Sabonis. The Warriors haven't made one move yet and you're already calling the WCF.. What the hell is going on with you except for being a spiteful Lakers fan?

Chill, it's just his opinion. He wasn't trying to disrespect Golden State.

rocketfuel
06-27-2016, 12:40 AM
I can't wait to see a Westbrook/Oladipo/Durant trio....they are going to be so crazy good on both ends of the court. How will they replace Ibaka's defense though? Stephen Adams is a stud....but Ibaka was so good at covering the floor and did a lot of things defensively. I also wonder what rotation the Thunder will go with now. Who's going to be starting, who's coming off the bench?

5ass
06-27-2016, 01:19 AM
I can't wait to see a Westbrook/Oladipo/Durant trio....they are going to be so crazy good on both ends of the court. How will they replace Ibaka's defense though? Stephen Adams is a stud....but Ibaka was so good at covering the floor and did a lot of things defensively. I also wonder what rotation the Thunder will go with now. Who's going to be starting, who's coming off the bench?

They should try to get Ryan Anderson in a s&t using Kanter and payne+sabonis.

TheDish87
06-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Article...."Durant fine with Ibaka trade"

"Kevin Durant doesn't have an issue with the Oklahoma City Thunder's trade of longtime teammate Serge Ibaka, league sources told ESPN's Zach Lowe."

Ibaka, who will become an unrestricted free agent himself next summer, had reportedly grown annoyed by his reduced touches with the Thunder. The Congolese-born Spaniard hit five-year lows in scoring (12.6), rebounding (6.8), and 3-point shooting (32.6 percent) last season, partially a byproduct of more minutes for Steven Adams and Enes Kanter. - See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/durant-fine-with-ibaka-trade-414934.html#sthash.fvhUCzdB.dpuf

Durant is ok with his running mate of 7 years being traded. Interesting.

were you going around saying KD is gone bcuz he wasnt consulted on the trade?