Blake Griffin
Kobe Bryant
John Wall
Dwyane Wade
Damian Lillard
Chris Bosh
Derrick Rose
James Harden

USA is probably good enough to win it all anyways but wow, the biggest names are all opting out.

Ebbs
06-24-2016, 03:39 PM
You guys slay me. An American Olympic team of NBA bench players might still win.

FlashBolt
06-24-2016, 03:49 PM
You guys slay me. An American Olympic team of NBA bench players might still win.

Not really, they lost in 2004 and international competition has been getting better. Still, I wanted to see LeBron and Curry on the same team. Would have been hilarious.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-24-2016, 03:58 PM
I would invite Towns.

MrfadeawayJB
06-24-2016, 05:02 PM
^^^^
Isn't he Dominican or something

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-24-2016, 05:15 PM
^^^^
Isn't he Dominican or something

Well, he was born in New Jersey so by law he's an American citizen. I'm not too sure about the Dominican thing. Did he live there for a long time and gain dual citizenship? Not sure

aman_13
06-24-2016, 07:04 PM
DeMar is in.

FlashBolt
06-24-2016, 07:30 PM
DeMar is in.

sad he can make it..

aman_13
06-24-2016, 09:17 PM
Klay is in as well.

aman_13
06-24-2016, 09:18 PM
sad he can make it..

Well he's part of the next tier so not a surprise.

WaDe03
06-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Wish Wade would've played, would've been cool to see him rocking that number 9 again. He needs the rest anyways.

Scoots
06-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Harrison Barnes is in ... should be good for him.

Scoots
06-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Klay Thompson officially in ... so 6 Warriors in Olympics so far with Iguodala still undecided but leaning out last I heard.

The 6 are Green, Thompson, Barnes, Barbosa, Varejao, and Ezeli.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-25-2016, 03:44 PM
C- DeAndre, Cousins
PF- Draymond, Carmelo
SF- Durant, George, Barnes
SG- Klay, Butler, Derozan
PG- ?, Lowry

There was really no need for Barnes. Not sure why he was chosen when wings are superstacked. They should have picked a combo guard or a big man.

Aust
06-25-2016, 06:38 PM
Barnes oof

Heediot
06-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Kyrie the final piece.

mgjohnson7851
06-25-2016, 07:15 PM
Slim pickings when guys like Barnes make it.

aman_13
06-25-2016, 10:41 PM

Good for Barnes but yeah no kidding.

FlashBolt
06-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Barnes lucky to get an invite.. Dude can showcase his skills and try to make up for that terrible playoff run. Hope he doesn't get big dollars. A franchise killer.

kdspurman
06-27-2016, 11:47 AM

haha.. i was thinking the same thing

FlashBolt
06-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Man, that locker room is going to be really awkward. Irving/Green/Thompson/Barnes lol. Would have loved to see LeBron there. Always wondered how great LeBron+Green would be in the Warriors. Them playing together would be beautiful.

Jetsguy
06-27-2016, 12:39 PM
I think you guys are vastly overstating any real dislike any of these players have for one another based on a playoff series. Lebron would LOVE a guy like Green on his team and vice versa. There will be no "locker room" issues or anything like that. I think for the most part IRL these guys all pretty much like each other.

Don't know what I keep seeing stuff like this various places

FlashBolt
06-27-2016, 12:46 PM
I think you guys are vastly overstating any real dislike any of these players have for one another based on a playoff series. Lebron would LOVE a guy like Green on his team and vice versa. There will be no "locker room" issues or anything like that. I think for the most part IRL these guys all pretty much like each other.

Don't know what I keep seeing stuff like this various places

That doesn't mean they aren't humans and seeing as how Thompson was running like a baby back to the locker room after the NBA Finals ended, he never congratulated the Cavs. He talked a whole bunch of junk and now he has to play with the guy who hit the dagger? Pretty sure they are going to feel some distaste. I mentioned Barnes because he's gotta play much differently than the way he did for the Warriors if he wants to get a huge contract.

phi2134
06-27-2016, 01:08 PM
geez, cant get a token white guy

ManningToTyree
06-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Still should win gold with that roster. I think Melo would be the first player ever with three gold medals

tredigs
06-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Melo/DMC/Barnes/Derozan/etc. There's some fun pieces as well, but I gotta say, overall I just don't care much for this roster or whether they win (which I'm sure they will). Quite the drop off from the Dream Team days.

Scoots
06-27-2016, 03:02 PM
geez, cant get a token white guy

Klay Thompson :)

Scoots
06-27-2016, 03:05 PM
If KD is a Warriors then Barnes will no longer be a Warrior and that could make the Green/Thompson/KD/Barnes dynamic interesting in addition to the Irving aspect.

Flash, need to update the OP with the current known roster.

Vee-Rex
06-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Really wish Steph had joined.

We were able to witness some amazing feats and all of our respective teams had to go through hell just to try to defend that guy. I wish the world had to deal with that. Plus it's a good feeling to be rooting for someone like Steph.

Anyway, I'm glad Klay/Green are in. I think this US team is gonna dominate as long as we can stay healthy. I like Irving/Lowry at the PG position, and I like the defense and length (and offense) at our wings.

BTW, I think everyone will get along just fine.

Heediot
06-28-2016, 06:09 PM
DMC is going to be too much for these international guys.

Shammyguy3
06-28-2016, 09:36 PM
I wish the NBA would put an age limit on participants. I'd much prefer to see a team of 25 year olds and under represent the NBA year in and year out than see a lot of these guys that, really should be resting/with their own franchises/families. Yes, i understand the great honor it would be to represent your country, but if you already got the chance to do it in your early 20s then let some other players try it too.

I'd love to see this group of guys below

Irving/Lillard/Smart
Thompson/Beal/Lavine
Leonard/Middleton
Davis/Gordon
Drummond/Towns

something like that. Then, by the time these guys are past age 25, the next crop of future stars take their place. It would get me to watch the games more, because i'd be interested to see how these players may Internationally more than guys like Durant, Westbrook, Butler, etc

FlashBolt
06-28-2016, 10:45 PM
I wish the NBA would put an age limit on participants. I'd much prefer to see a team of 25 year olds and under represent the NBA year in and year out than see a lot of these guys that, really should be resting/with their own franchises/families. Yes, i understand the great honor it would be to represent your country, but if you already got the chance to do it in your early 20s then let some other players try it too.

I'd love to see this group of guys below

Irving/Lillard/Smart
Thompson/Beal/Lavine
Leonard/Middleton
Davis/Gordon
Drummond/Towns

something like that. Then, by the time these guys are past age 25, the next crop of future stars take their place. It would get me to watch the games more, because i'd be interested to see how these players may Internationally more than guys like Durant, Westbrook, Butler, etc

That's not fair to guys who deserve it, though. That's like saying the ASG should be just players who never had the opportunity. The best of the pool get chosen. That's just how it is. Should Usain Bolt sit out and let some other guy take his spot? And the Olympics is a great way to expose your brand, too. Not fair to penalize players for making it.

Scoots
06-30-2016, 11:18 AM
That's not fair to guys who deserve it, though. That's like saying the ASG should be just players who never had the opportunity. The best of the pool get chosen. That's just how it is. Should Usain Bolt sit out and let some other guy take his spot? And the Olympics is a great way to expose your brand, too. Not fair to penalize players for making it.

"Not fair" is WAY over used these days. The Olympics used to be for amateurs only so to amateurs allowing pros is "not fair" but not allowing pros would be "not fair" to them. I would have no problem with a compromise between the two.

FlashBolt
06-30-2016, 04:57 PM
"Not fair" is WAY over used these days. The Olympics used to be for amateurs only so to amateurs allowing pros is "not fair" but not allowing pros would be "not fair" to them. I would have no problem with a compromise between the two.

The Olympics should be for the best, period. If you aren't the best, you're an amateur (unless this is WWE). I'd rather watch the best play than subsidize it for opportunity.

Scoots
06-30-2016, 07:28 PM
The Olympics should be for the best, period. If you aren't the best, you're an amateur (unless this is WWE). I'd rather watch the best play than subsidize it for opportunity.

You don't want it subsidized but you do want professionals? Do you know what subsidize means?

If you only want the best we should just go ahead and make it compulsory and force the players we want to play ... because this team isn't the "best".

FlashBolt
07-01-2016, 01:44 PM
You don't want it subsidized but you do want professionals? Do you know what subsidize means?

If you only want the best we should just go ahead and make it compulsory and force the players we want to play ... because this team isn't the "best".

Yes, it's exactly what it means.. The best players should be in the Olympics. Plus, it's pretty self explanatory that I'm talking about the best from the remaining pool. It doesn't take a genius to see that if some players don't want to play, they should have that right. I'm more interested in countries sending their best in competition than having other athletes just be there because they never got the opportunity.

Scoots
07-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Yes, it's exactly what it means.. The best players should be in the Olympics. Plus, it's pretty self explanatory that I'm talking about the best from the remaining pool. It doesn't take a genius to see that if some players don't want to play, they should have that right. I'm more interested in countries sending their best in competition than having other athletes just be there because they never got the opportunity.

You said you don't want it subsidized but the definition of professional athletes is that they ARE subsidized.

At any rate, I liked the Olympics when it was 100% amateurs. In a lot of ways it was more interesting. But then again I still enjoy march madness too.

I am fine with pros playing, but seeing Melo and LeBron go back for a 4th medal just strikes me as greedy and un-cool

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 12:06 AM
You said you don't want it subsidized but the definition of professional athletes is that they ARE subsidized.

At any rate, I liked the Olympics when it was 100% amateurs. In a lot of ways it was more interesting. But then again I still enjoy march madness too.

I am fine with pros playing, but seeing Melo and LeBron go back for a 4th medal just strikes me as greedy and un-cool

Can you explain what you mean by them being subsidized? My initial argument with subsidized is that we're lowering the talent for opportunity. Greedy and un-cool? WTF does that even mean? Is LeBron greedy and un-cool for being in the NBA? He should make way so an amateur can take that spot!

Scoots
07-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Can you explain what you mean by them being subsidized? My initial argument with subsidized is that we're lowering the talent for opportunity. Greedy and un-cool? WTF does that even mean? Is LeBron greedy and un-cool for being in the NBA? He should make way so an amateur can take that spot!

Subsidize means to support financially ... i.e. to pay. Or ... pro.

I DON'T want amateur players, but I wouldn't mind if they limited repeated trips. The Olympics is once every 4 years and only includes 12 players each time. I think the idea of getting 48 players in 16 years is not diluting the numbers to the point that it will hurt the show. And I'm not against multiple trips, but I don't think anybody should get a chance at 3 trips. I would just rather see people go for whom the trip and the national competition is new.

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 12:26 AM

I DON'T want amateur players, but I wouldn't mind if they limited repeated trips. The Olympics is once every 4 years and only includes 12 players each time. I think the idea of getting 48 players in 16 years is not diluting the numbers to the point that it will hurt the show. And I'm not against multiple trips, but I don't think anybody should get a chance at 3 trips. I would just rather see people go for whom the trip and the national competition is new.

Just hope you realize a word can be interpreted in many different forms. If you want to follow what Google says, sure. But even then, we're paying a sacrifice in talent for opportunity.

Scoots
07-02-2016, 12:52 AM
Just hope you realize a word can be interpreted in many different forms. If you want to follow what Google says, sure. But even then, we're paying a sacrifice in talent for opportunity.

So if you mis-use a word it's not a mis-use it's just that you get to create a definition for it and expect others to agree? The meanings of words matter. Communication is hard enough without randomizing the dictionary. Subsidize literally means pay ... with money. Not with talent, or with pain, or with anything else. It's money.

tredigs
07-02-2016, 01:00 AM
So if you mis-use a word it's not a mis-use it's just that you get to create a definition for it and expect others to agree? The meanings of words matter. Communication is hard enough without randomizing the dictionary. Subsidize literally means pay ... with money. Not with talent, or with pain, or with anything else. It's money.

Don't try to think it through, Scoots. The guy is far too proud to accept fault in any conversation I have seen of his. His response here is absolutely classic.

More to the point, I agree that we need to have a cap on appearances. It also serves to remedy that awkward moment when a past his prime legend like Kobe would theoretically want to play in another Olympics (nearly happened with this team).

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 01:25 AM

"You said you don't want it subsidized but the definition of professional athletes is that they ARE subsidized."

Pretty sure you used it the same way I did.

Chronz
07-02-2016, 10:26 AM

Is this just for the U.S.? Cuz if you prevent guys from repeating on other countries they would stand no chance as they lose much of chemistry advantage that comes from several trips together on top of wat lil nba talent they have.

Wat about the world cup? No glory for Manu in this version of reality and that sucks imo.

Older guys tend to rest anyways

Scoots
07-02-2016, 02:42 PM
"You said you don't want it subsidized but the definition of professional athletes is that they ARE subsidized."

Pretty sure you used it the same way I did.

You said you DON'T want it subsidized and I'm saying including pro's (which you want) IS subsidized. You said that you both DO and DON'T want pros. Subsidize = pro, not subsidize = amateur.

Scoots
07-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Is this just for the U.S.? Cuz if you prevent guys from repeating on other countries they would stand no chance as they lose much of chemistry advantage that comes from several trips together on top of wat lil nba talent they have.

Wat about the world cup? No glory for Manu in this version of reality and that sucks imo.

Older guys tend to rest anyways

I assume it's just for the US/NBA because I don't follow international markets closely. But I could see if China had the same 12 guys every year they might want some younger guys to go too.

FlashBolt
07-02-2016, 05:59 PM
You said you DON'T want it subsidized and I'm saying including pro's (which you want) IS subsidized. You said that you both DO and DON'T want pros. Subsidize = pro, not subsidize = amateur.

You said subsidized is a financial term now you're not using it as one. My response with that was similar to what they did with Christian in the Dream Team.

Scoots
07-02-2016, 07:27 PM
You said subsidized is a financial term now you're not using it as one. My response with that was similar to what they did with Christian in the Dream Team.
It's still about money. If something is subsidized it's paid for. Pro players are paid ... Or subsidized. Amateurs are not paid ... Not subsidized.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

chjuj
07-03-2016, 12:12 AM
C's finally make that big move. Durant on his way next?

Scoots
07-03-2016, 12:47 AM
C's finally make that big move. Durant on his way next?

Olympics?

robdog_5
07-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Who are some of the better teams to challenge USA or mainly fighting for silver and bronze?

Did Canada make it? Canada is a country that seems on the rise in talent, but how many of their legit players are on national team?

Spain obviously always good. Gasol/Ibaka, Rubio etc.

Siddhartha
07-12-2016, 05:21 AM
Spain is going to be good. Watch out for Argentina, Lithuania and even the home nation Brazil. Two other teams that are going to be fun to watch are France (with their experience) and Croatia (with all the young talent).

Vee-Rex
07-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Watched the US vs. China game. Not that I expected anything different, but man we're just in a completely different stratosphere.

It's like a cheat code having Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant on the team I root for. They don't miss shots. Combined 8/13 from 3pt range. IS THIS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE??? I only wish Curry was playing too.

Vee-Rex
07-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Spain is going to be good. Watch out for Argentina, Lithuania and even the home nation Brazil. Two other teams that are going to be fun to watch are France (with their experience) and Croatia (with all the young talent).

Spain is usually always competitive. But I get the feeling this is gonna be another year where we blow everyone away without any trouble.

FlashBolt
07-29-2016, 12:18 AM
I would have loved to see Bron+Curry+Green+KD+Irving out at the same time.. Would be hilarious.

lol, please
07-29-2016, 04:10 AM
It's really moving how much love KD got the other day. He deserves it. Can't wait for the season to start.

Chronz
07-29-2016, 11:07 PM
You guys catch that Lowry to Butler oop just now?

lol, please
07-30-2016, 02:34 AM
You guys catch that Lowry to Butler oop just now?
Was watching the Giants embarrass themselves.

Was a game on earlier?

sent from my Note 5 on Tapatalk

NYKalltheway
08-01-2016, 02:13 AM
Spain is usually always competitive. But I get the feeling this is gonna be another year where we blow everyone away without any trouble.

Olympics have only a select few teams and every continent has to participate so the competiion is rarely intense. It might get intense come the semis, but that's about it.
The FIBA World Cup is far more competitive, it just lacks the prestige.

NYKalltheway
08-01-2016, 02:24 AM
Just saw the groups.

Group A:
France
USA
Venezuela
Serbia
China
Australia

Group B:
Argentina
Spain
Brazil
Lithuania
Croatia
Nigeria

Not as bad as I'd thought it be. Group B is tougher on paper for the majority of the teams as they'll cancel each other out and Nigeria should be able to tire up 1-2 teams there. The group B teams other than Spain are rather inconsistent though, might challenge for a medal or just collapse. Nigeria doesn't really count, they need to pull at least 3 upsets in order to get through. And Spain usually doesn't start strong.

Group A is rather easy. Expecting USA to sweep the group and France to win all but one game. Serbia should be 3rd and Australia should be challenging China for that 4th spot.

USA should win gold easily here. Probably face Spain in the gold medal final unless Spain fails to get #1 spot, which is a possibility, but ends up 2nd, then they cross in the semis with the US team.

Probability says that USA faces one of Croatia/Brazil as the B4 team, then one of Argentina/Spain/France/Serbia in the semis, though probably a B group team, before going to the final game.

Heediot
08-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Argentina is the most over-rated team this year. The stars are way over too old.

I think Serbia will medal. USA take gold. France/Spain the other medal. France and Spain have the most NBA guys outside of team USA, but Serbia is the most cohesive, Spain 2nd most cohesive.

Chronz
08-06-2016, 12:15 PM
We get like 10 straight days of basketball guys, take advantage. Been feening for that roundball for soo long Im watching Turkey vs France Womens edition. Its actually a really contested game and its interesting to look at the strats countries use. Looks like switching everything has been pretty common for these international womens teams cuz they do it seamlessly. I've only seen this half but they switch even big to small and the offense doesn't really look to attack it the way we see in the NBA.

mike_noodles
08-06-2016, 01:41 PM
I love the report that they "accidentally" ended up at a brothel. Lol. Sure it was fellas.

LionsFan..LOL
08-06-2016, 02:56 PM
I will admit that my knowledge of other countries Olympic team is little so perhaps this isn't surprising but France getting destroyed by Australia caught me off guard. I know Australia played the US tough a few years ago and they have some NBA names (Patty Mills, Bogut, Dellevadova, and my boy Aron Baynes!) but enough to crush France? :shrug:

Heediot
08-06-2016, 02:59 PM
I will admit that my knowledge of other countries Olympic team is little so perhaps this isn't surprising but France getting destroyed by Australia caught me off guard. I know Australia played the US tough a few years ago and they have some NBA names (Patty Mills, Bogut, Dellevadova, and my boy Aron Baynes!) but enough to crush France? :shrug:

France hasn't impressed in qualifying or in the exhibition games. They have arguably the 2nd most talent, but they lack chemistry and were out-coached today. It was a layup line for the Aussies in the 2nd half. France and Argentina are two of the most over-rated because they have some familiar names. France lacks the chemistry and Argentina is too old. France still has time to work out the kinks but they have been consistently under-whelming for quite a bit so we'll see.

Scoots
08-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Are Exum and Simmons playing for Australia? That team is going to get better and better it seems.

FlashBolt
08-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Crazy that this is basically the B-Squad of the USA basketball team.

LeBron
Curry
Harden
CP3
Westbrook
Blake
Davis

The best USA team ever if those guys were in there instead of the fill-ins.

Vee-Rex
08-06-2016, 07:33 PM

LeBron
Curry
Harden
CP3
Westbrook
Blake
Davis

Yep.

Makes me really sad, too. This would've been the only opportunity to get to see Steph and Bron play together.

It's funny thinking of what guys like Tony Parker are thinking about when facing the US team. "Hey guys, we're about to get our **** kicked in. Let's try to lose by 40 and not 50!"

Ariza's Better
08-06-2016, 07:38 PM
As an Australian I am extremely excited for the Boomers future. Add Maker, Exum and Simmons to this squad in 2020 with 4 years NBA experience and Australia has a potential gold medal team. Hopefully Australia can sign a good coach to lead that team. As far as this Olympics, a bronze, maybe silver medal would be a good return.

Wade n Fade
08-06-2016, 07:59 PM
I am glad the US covered the spread today. Good confidence booster too.

Chronz
08-06-2016, 08:20 PM
****, France got demolished? I thought TP looked awful last FIBA tourney but hes been pretty good in the warmups. What happened? Are Diaw and TP done?

Scoots
08-06-2016, 11:22 PM

LeBron
Curry
Harden
CP3
Westbrook
Blake
Davis

I'd still go with the original dream team.

Heediot
08-06-2016, 11:52 PM
****, France got demolished? I thought TP looked awful last FIBA tourney but hes been pretty good in the warmups. What happened? Are Diaw and TP done?

The defense got schooled in the 2nd half. France should learn how to play like the aussies as they killed them with back door cuts. Even a team like Serbia with less nba talent runs some nice offensive sets that are more unpredictable and harder to defend. On paper they should be a nice passing team, but they look stagnant most of the time I watch them. Parker has his moments, h's pretty much hot and cold in fiba ball. He didn't play too much in the 2nd half. Batum never impresses me offensively in fiba ball. Like Parker he'll disappear for stretches, but Parker gets hotter more often imo.

NYKalltheway
08-07-2016, 04:19 AM
We get like 10 straight days of basketball guys, take advantage. Been feening for that roundball for soo long Im watching Turkey vs France Womens edition. Its actually a really contested game and its interesting to look at the strats countries use. Looks like switching everything has been pretty common for these international womens teams cuz they do it seamlessly. I've only seen this half but they switch even big to small and the offense doesn't really look to attack it the way we see in the NBA.

lol at your surprise :D

NYKalltheway
08-07-2016, 04:22 AM
Also very surprised that France lost to the guys from Down Under. France is probably our choke team in this tournament. I expected that to be Argentina.

Chronz
08-07-2016, 08:17 AM
Also very surprised that France lost to the guys from Down Under. France is probably our choke team in this tournament. I expected that to be Argentina.

What about the womens div? They looked impressive, my girl likes their C, says she looks like a cross between Shaq and Rodman

NYKalltheway
08-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Australia and Spain are rated ahead of France in this tournament. Not sure who this C you're talking about is, half their roster is listed as C's :D

US obvious favorites of course here as well.

Tony_Starks
08-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Lol at people that think KD isn't still going to get his buckets on Golden State, this guy is dropping easy 25s playing on a allstar USA Team.

When you got game like that it doesn't matter, in fact it's going to be even easier for him.

NYKalltheway
08-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Lol at people that think KD isn't still going to get his buckets on Golden State, this guy is dropping easy 25s playing on a allstar USA Team.

When you got game like that it doesn't matter, in fact it's going to be even easier for him.

Kevin Durant is the best FIBA player from the whole NBA. It doesn't mean that much because the NBA is much more rigid play than this and it's all up to the Warriors' style.
Steph Curry is also a great FIBA player. I remember in 2010 I was saying how Curry >> Rose, Rondo and Westbrook and got some serious abuse haha.

Last decade Melo was the best FIBA player for Team USA, this time it's Durant. Doesn't mean that much when it comes to the NBA, both have 0 rings. Just goes to show how some things are excessively different just because of the rules you enforce.

LionsFan..LOL
08-07-2016, 03:05 PM
30 point lead by Lithuania cut down to 4 by Brazil with 1:46 to go. Can't help but root for Brazil here. The crowd's energy is incredible.

FlashBolt
08-07-2016, 03:20 PM

Just like when you said Kobe was going to score 20 PPG on 50% shooting?

lol, please
08-08-2016, 02:04 AM
Watching Klay and Durant play together is just something else.

Tony_Starks
08-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Kevin Durant is the best FIBA player from the whole NBA. It doesn't mean that much because the NBA is much more rigid play than this and it's all up to the Warriors' style.
Steph Curry is also a great FIBA player. I remember in 2010 I was saying how Curry >> Rose, Rondo and Westbrook and got some serious abuse haha.

Last decade Melo was the best FIBA player for Team USA, this time it's Durant. Doesn't mean that much when it comes to the NBA, both have 0 rings. Just goes to show how some things are excessively different just because of the rules you enforce.

FIBA doesn't always translate but it's not like KD was not in the business of getting buckets in the NBA already. Regardless of the rules his game is the same.

My point is that some people were assuming his production was going to take a big dip because of the talent he's playing with and this is a small sample size of how it doesn't matter who he's playing with, he's still going to get his.

If he put up numbers playing with Russ who was known to go off on tangents stands to reason he should still be able to do so in GS offense.

Vee-Rex
08-08-2016, 12:03 PM
FIBA doesn't always translate but it's not like KD was not in the business of getting buckets in the NBA already. Regardless of the rules his game is the same.

My point is that some people were assuming his production was going to take a big dip because of the talent he's playing with and this is a small sample size of how it doesn't matter who he's playing with, he's still going to get his.

If he put up numbers playing with Russ who was known to go off on tangents stands to reason he should still be able to do so in GS offense.

Durant averaged 28ppg on 19 FGA per game last year. If you think he's gonna maintain that amount of FGA then I'm not sure what to say to you.

I see Durant averaging more like 24'ishppg on 15-16 FGA per game. His efficiency will probably go up and allow him to score a lot of points on fewer shots. He's already crazy efficient as-is, so that's saying something. He'll definitely have games where he throw up 20+ shots, but he'll also have plenty of games where he only shoots 10-12 times, especially if GS is blowing people out and sitting starters in the 4th.

I just don't see Durant's numbers staying the same. If they do, it'll affect Klay (who already said he's not changing anything) or Steph.

The only way KD, Steph, and Klay's numbers remain the same (28ppg, 30ppg, 22ppg) would be at the cost of the Warriors' wonderful passing-style offense - meaning they'll be doing far more ISO and become a bit easier to defend, at least schematically. However, I'm pretty confident this won't happen and someone's numbers are gonna drop.

Tony_Starks
08-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Durant averaged 28ppg on 19 FGA per game last year. If you think he's gonna maintain that amount of FGA then I'm not sure what to say to you.

I see Durant averaging more like 24'ishppg on 15-16 FGA per game. His efficiency will probably go up and allow him to score a lot of points on fewer shots. He's already crazy efficient as-is, so that's saying something. He'll definitely have games where he throw up 20+ shots, but he'll also have plenty of games where he only shoots 10-12 times, especially if GS is blowing people out and sitting starters in the 4th.

I just don't see Durant's numbers staying the same. If they do, it'll affect Klay (who already said he's not changing anything) or Steph.

The only way KD, Steph, and Klay's numbers remain the same (28ppg, 30ppg, 22ppg) would be at the cost of the Warriors' wonderful passing-style offense - meaning they'll be doing far more ISO and become a bit easier to defend, at least schematically. However, I'm pretty confident this won't happen and someone's numbers are gonna drop.

What do you think of the scenario that Stephs points drop but assist go up? That would allow both Klay and KD to still go off.

Vee-Rex
08-08-2016, 01:27 PM
What do you think of the scenario that Stephs points drop but assist go up? That would allow both Klay and KD to still go off.

Something that didn't cross my mind once lol, but also very likely. Good observation. Steph has shown he can average 8'ish assists per game. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a 20 and 10'ish guy next year.

That would allow Durant and Klay to still get theirs without sacrificing the fluidity of their offense much. Scary.

goose14741
08-08-2016, 01:45 PM
I know this has probably been talked about, but its been years since ive been on prosports. Just wondering the best place to rewatch the China game from saturday? Any ideas?

Scoots
08-08-2016, 02:08 PM

KD probably gets 17 to 18 FGA next year with Curry getting a similar number. Barbosa and Speights averaged nearly 12 FGA a game and they were not replaced with offensive guys and I expect Curry or KD to be on the floor as long as the game is in question. KD also will probably set career records in 3pt FGA and 3pt FGM and 3pt FG% which will probably add a couple more points to get him back up to the 28pt area per 32 minutes played.

If the Warriors are utterly destroying teams it will hurt their box score numbers for sure though.

Tony_Starks
08-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Something that didn't cross my mind once lol, but also very likely. Good observation. Steph has shown he can average 8'ish assists per game. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a 20 and 10'ish guy next year.

That would allow Durant and Klay to still get theirs without sacrificing the fluidity of their offense much. Scary.

Very scary. When you look at one of Stephs weaknesses that got exposed in the playoffs it's that when his shot wasn't falling he stopped dropping dimes. Granted he was hurt, but still his assist pretty much went out the window.

It's not hard for me to imagine as smart as him and Kerr are that there will be a major focus on him distributing this season. It makes them a more difficult team to beat.

The way he heats up and drops threes he will always get his fair share of points regardless, even if it's reduced.

Chronz
08-09-2016, 10:02 AM
I couldn't watch anything yesterday but I did catch Spains first game and man, maybe they should be the choke team cuz they couched up a close game and they play so rigid now. They have absolutely no dribble penetration and their bigman combo is exactly the same one that couldn't defend in the NBA. Im thinking this might be the most lopsided FIBA tourney yet

Chronz
08-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Right on cue, Spain chokes another one away. This time they made a nice comeback but with everything on the balance, Pau chokes at the FT line.

blom85
08-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Where can I watch highlights? And why is it so hard to find them?

Chronz
08-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Not sure, but here are some that were posted

VS China
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4o3flr

VS Venezuela
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4o3fqo

WOwolfOL
08-10-2016, 06:15 PM
AUS is playing well here in the 1st.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

kdspurman
08-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Marc Stein reported Aus isn't going to show their hand today anticipating a possible matchup later on in the tourney. Those guys are fun to watch..

Don't know if they'll have enough, they would need to go crazy from 3 imo.

WOwolfOL
08-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Not showing their hand and still have a lead in the 2nd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

kdspurman
08-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Impressive considering USA is hitting more 3s. I love Patty Mills man. Can't wait to see him rejuvenated next year
Hes in great shape

DanG
08-10-2016, 07:06 PM
Australias looking like a top 3 team. Can't wait to see them with Simmons Exum and Maker.. they can play at this level for years.

FlashBolt
08-10-2016, 07:19 PM
USA is looking terrible.

kdspurman
08-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Aussie is executing far better. Melo and Kyrie are just hitting tougher shots. They'll want to clean that up against these better teams

Tony_Starks
08-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Listening to Doug Collins go on and on about Kyrie, guess he's never been on psd.....

kdspurman
08-10-2016, 07:56 PM
I would imagine one of the things Aussie will adjust is not having Baynes guard Melo if they meet in the Gold medal game

AllBall
08-10-2016, 08:42 PM
I have a newfound respect for Carmelo Anthony tonight. He's seems to be well conditioned as well, which Knicks should be happy about.

Chronz
08-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Wats going on Im stuck and cant broadcast from my tablet

AllBall
08-10-2016, 08:50 PM

I only caught the end, but Melo dug in and help to will the team to victory. Aussies gave them their first legit challenge. Melo dropped 31 points. They could end up meeting again for Gold Medal game.

kdspurman
08-10-2016, 09:07 PM

Tight game all the way. No one outside of Melo/Irving really played well for US. Aus was physical and ran their sets to a T (though Stein reported Aus would only use less than half their playbook anticipating a gold metal rematch)

Mills/Delly/Bogut played well. Baynes was guarding Melo a lot and got torched lol probably won't see that again. But if Melo doesn't get hot from 3 in the 4th, US doesn't win.

latinofire21
08-10-2016, 09:32 PM
This USA team is deep. Melo isn't even a top 15 player in psd and he carried team USA to win. Wow this team is scary good!

Quietmoney
08-11-2016, 12:05 AM
See... That's the disrespect that Melo gets on here.. Every USA team he's been on, he's been top three or 4 but leave it to dudes on here... "The USA team is so deep that even Melo is getting off.. Smh. The hate needs to stop..

NYKalltheway
08-11-2016, 03:50 AM
Melo's style is more FIBA appropriate. It really doesn't mean that much when it comes to the NBA.

Quietmoney
08-11-2016, 05:01 AM
And what style is that?? Dude can excel offensively from anywhere on the court no matter who or how there guarding him.. He also can get in a rhythm like no other from the perimeter and especially from the FIBA 3 point range.. It's also the fact that at his size, there is no one in FIBA that can guard him... There either too big n slow or too small which he had the game to take advantage of.. It's not his style.. It's who he is.

Quietmoney
08-11-2016, 05:10 AM
Doesn't mean that much in the NBA?? Why you think the dude has been on so many USA teams in the first place.. It's all about what he did in the NBA... You talk as if dude hasn't won a scoring title... Smh. What league was he playing in when he scored 62 points again?? 😒

Tony_Starks
08-11-2016, 09:30 AM
People acting like Melo hasn't led the league in scoring before or been people buckets for over a decade.

If anything he appears in better shape but this is no apparition.

Kindof does make me think maybe the Knicks should use him at the 4 a little bit more this year tho, it's not like there's a bunch of bruising PFs he'll have to contend with.

Scoots
08-11-2016, 09:43 AM
I think Melo was over-rated, and now he's being under-rated.

nycericanguy
08-11-2016, 10:17 AM
it does say something for Melo that he looks like a top 3 player on a team full of superstars. The Olympic teams are usually led by the true stars. He's always done much better the rare times we've seen him with help.

I'm expecting a big year from him next year, KP & Rose, heck even Jennings should finally give him some help. and Melo was putting up 25/7/4 the 2nd half of last season after he got his legs back following the surgery.

nycericanguy
08-11-2016, 10:18 AM

PSD will probably vote him #30.

aman_13
08-11-2016, 11:54 AM
It's not a surprise that Melo is thriving doing less.

Chronz
08-11-2016, 12:10 PM
People acting like Melo hasn't led the league in scoring before or been people buckets for over a decade.

If anything he appears in better shape but this is no apparition.

Kindof does make me think maybe the Knicks should use him at the 4 a little bit more this year tho, it's not like there's a bunch of bruising PFs he'll have to contend with.

What happened with KD? How come no buckets this game?

FlashBolt
08-11-2016, 12:13 PM

Team isn't good enough so he had to take too many contested shots... c'mon dude... did you even watch the game?

kdspurman
08-11-2016, 12:18 PM

He was off. Couldn't hit anything, and had some good looks

Tony_Starks
08-11-2016, 12:23 PM

Cold night, 16 points.

It was the Melo/ Kyrie show.

colinskik
08-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Cold night, 16 points.

It was the Melo/ Kyrie show.

But that epitomizes KD -- off night and still put in 14 points.

Vinylman
08-11-2016, 01:59 PM
I would imagine one of the things Aussie will adjust is not having Baynes guard Melo if they meet in the Gold medal game

then who is going to get his minutes?

Australia has zero bench... they have to play Baynes

On a side note... this US team is *******... I can easily construct 1 team of 10 players from the US that would beat them like a drum 10 out of 10 times and quite frankly a second team that would give them a run for their money.

I can seriously see this team losing a game if Kyrie or Melo have an off night... they are just lucky that a lot of the other teams are in transition or not playing well. Any other Olympics and there would be a risk this team would lose.

AllBall
08-11-2016, 02:34 PM

I can agree with this.

Chronz
08-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Team isn't good enough so he had to take too many contested shots... c'mon dude... did you even watch the game?

lol, nice

Chronz
08-11-2016, 02:47 PM
But that epitomizes KD -- off night and still put in 14 points.
What epitomizes KD for me is not having many of these, at least not during the RS, come playoffs he seems hit or miss for the past few years.

latinofire21
08-11-2016, 06:25 PM
See... That's the disrespect that Melo gets on here.. Every USA team he's been on, he's been top three or 4 but leave it to dudes on here... "The USA team is so deep that even Melo is getting off.. Smh. The hate needs to stop..

I hope you know that my comment was sarcasm. I think the PSD analytics "experts" here are complete jokes. The fact that the team looks at Melo to be the leader and through the adversity the game is running through Melo and Kyrie not all the other guys who were picked ahead of them says enough. Yes its the Olympics like some have said and you are playing against inferior competition but what does that say about the people picked ahead of them? Durant should have had 50 by the arguement some of the people here are making for the lack of competition in the Olympics compared to the NBA. The hate for Melo is halarious. I really am looking forward to this year. If teams like the Clippers fail to meet expectations there are going to be a lot of people eating crow here on the rankings.

Chronz
08-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Argentina in trouble here, playing desperate. Manu and Scola have been great for the most part but they're fading here. I like how they always have either one out there but at some point you need to sit them both so they're fresh to close the 4th. I dont know how important this game is for Argentina but Im rooting for their fans in attendance more than anything.

Chronz
08-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Man they came back with a fury, got some home cooking calls but these guys are just poised down the stretch whereas Lithuania is showing its inexperience and just beating themselves with turnovers and soft hooks. Really good game here

Heediot
08-12-2016, 12:30 AM
Man they came back with a fury, got some home cooking calls but these guys are just poised down the stretch whereas Lithuania is showing its inexperience and just beating themselves with turnovers and soft hooks. Really good game here

Argentina missed mad free throws in the final minutes. Lithuania did good to punch back and close it out after they let Argentina take the lead.

Chronz
08-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Yeah it was something like a 12-2 run Argentina went on before they regained control. Shame that Nocioni lost his cool and threw a temper tantrum.

Ariza's Better
08-12-2016, 08:18 PM
God I hate how foul happy the refs are. That Serbia/US match was great though. The US defence, especially last two games, has been super lazy and offensively their out of sync. They are honestly playing like their in an all star game. I can also see why Denver and their fans a high on nikola jokic, guy was great today.

Chronz
08-12-2016, 08:41 PM
God I hate how foul happy the refs are. That Serbia/US match was great though. The US defence, especially last two games, has been super lazy and offensively their out of sync. They are honestly playing like their in an all star game. I can also see why Denver and their fans a high on nikola jokic, guy was great today.
I liked listening to Doug Collins comment on the differences between the first and 2nd unit. Mentioned how players like Paul George claim to have an easier time playing alongside the 2nd unit, mostly due to Lowry and Irving, how different they are in terms of playmaking and defense.

This has honestly been an underwhelming US team but they are squeezing out victories, much like the 2000 squad but its not even the elimination rounds yet. Any other Olympics and I would feel the pressure with this current unit.

Heediot
08-12-2016, 08:46 PM

Serbia and the Aussies two tough covers, two of he best passing teams in the Olympics. Some of the US lineups were terrible with their coverage. Teodosic is a whiz passing the ball and Jokic is a killer passing big man. Passing is bigger in fiba ball then nba ball because of the hand checking rule. It's easier to create your own shot and drive in the nba,

Jokic killed it and was causing trouble for the US. Outside of the first Quarter, the Serbs played just as well and arguably better then the U.S.

zn23
08-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Give me Teodosic over Ricky Rubio any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I've been trying to figure why Teodosic hasn't joined the NBA yet despite fielding offers and apparently he's getting paid very well playing with CSKA Moscow. He's also got a bigger role whereas he would be coming off the bench in the NBA.

I still wonder how someone like Rubio is still in the league. The dude is a flat out bum.

Vee-Rex
08-13-2016, 10:48 AM
It's quite interesting that the ones we heavily criticize (Melo/Irving) are the ones having the best performances in Rio.

Draymond and Klay have both sucked pretty badly. Durant disappeared and completely shrunk away from the spotlight vs. Serbia after his bad game against Australia. I'm starting suspect he's pretty fragile mentally, but these are all super small sample sizes so far.

kdspurman
08-13-2016, 11:20 AM
This US team is all iso. And It'll work against most of these teams, but the teams who actually play together and move the ball will be in these games. Especially when some of these guys for the US are shooting terribly.

They aren't able to score in transition as well cause teams like Serbia and Australia make em work defensively, and that's what makes US so dangerous

Scoots
08-13-2016, 01:20 PM
It's quite interesting that the ones we heavily criticize (Melo/Irving) are the ones having the best performances in Rio.

Draymond and Klay have both sucked pretty badly. Durant disappeared and completely shrunk away from the spotlight vs. Serbia after his bad game against Australia. I'm starting suspect he's pretty fragile mentally, but these are all super small sample sizes so far.

The games seem to be getting stagnant ... they are not playing as a team. It's the compromise having NBA players available causes.

NYKalltheway
08-13-2016, 04:41 PM
And what style is that?? Dude can excel offensively from anywhere on the court no matter who or how there guarding him.. He also can get in a rhythm like no other from the perimeter and especially from the FIBA 3 point range.. It's also the fact that at his size, there is no one in FIBA that can guard him... There either too big n slow or too small which he had the game to take advantage of.. It's not his style.. It's who he is.

Doesn't mean that much in the NBA?? Why you think the dude has been on so many USA teams in the first place.. It's all about what he did in the NBA... You talk as if dude hasn't won a scoring title... Smh. What league was he playing in when he scored 62 points again?? 😒

You have no idea of what I said there. Nevermind...

NYKalltheway
08-13-2016, 04:46 PM
So apparently I underestimated Argentina and Spain will be the one to choke this one. I didn't have expectations from Spain but at least I was thinking they could progress from the group. USA will probably face the hosts, Brazil, unless Nigeria pulls an upset here, then it'd be Spain only if they get to beat Argentina

On a side note, Argentina-Brazil game was awesome.

warfelg
08-13-2016, 05:46 PM
So apparently I underestimated Argentina and Spain will be the one to choke this one. I didn't have expectations from Spain but at least I was thinking they could progress from the group. USA will probably face the hosts, Brazil, unless Nigeria pulls an upset here, then it'd be Spain only if they get to beat Argentina

Croatia and Dario Saric/Bogdonovic making noise. The team with two players from the worst teams in the NBA [emoji23]

Chronz
08-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Best game of the Olympics for sure. How do you like USA playing like a bunch of individuals with no defensive intensity to at least dominate that style

NYKalltheway
08-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Best game of the Olympics for sure. How do you like USA playing like a bunch of individuals with no defensive intensity to at least dominate that style

It's typical USA basketball though. They usually end up winning.

Spain is finally delivering.

Heediot
08-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Spain is an inconsistent team but they tend to play better than most when the stakes get higher.

AllBall
08-14-2016, 01:09 PM
Team USA better get their act together or they'll end up failures.

archdevil84
08-14-2016, 01:42 PM
they miss the veterans

Chronz
08-14-2016, 01:51 PM
It's typical USA basketball though. They usually end up winning.

Spain is finally delivering.

Spain looks awful bro, get over it. And no its not typical, the last 2 Olympics we've usually dominated with defensive intensity and we have had pure PG's who both defend and facilitate. Quite frankly, I blame Kyrie and Coach K here. Kyrie should not be starting, hes the perfect off the bench scorer to enhance leads(Like Wade and CP3 sitting over Kidd and Kobe). Several players have pointed out how playing with the 2nd unit aka the defensive unit with a true playmaker, has been easier to acclimate to, both in practice and in games.

This is where Kyries flaws as a player are showing, sure hes putting up buckets but this is team usa, we have a shitload of scorers, why aren't you making the game easier for them? Is his tunnel vision so profound that even on an Olympic roster, his only way of impacting a game is by scoring? I've never been less impressed with a USA team since the 04 debacle and even then, the rest of the world was stronger.

I honestly believe if we replaced Kyrie with an old *** Kidd, the TEAM would be running actual sets and not relying overly on 1v1 offense, we'd get more stops and dominate in transition.

Heediot
08-14-2016, 02:00 PM
US is trying to win by sheer talent. Defense is still questionable and offense is still predictable.

Quietmoney
08-14-2016, 02:13 PM
USA doesn't have one pure point guard on the team... The point guard is supposed to help get everyone involved

Chronz
08-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Doug Collins is really preaching to my choir these Olympics.

Chronz
08-14-2016, 02:30 PM
USA doesn't have one pure point guard on the team... The point guard is supposed to help get everyone involved
Yeah Doug mentioned that as part of the struggle for some but you can still defer with the shooting these PG's possess. Its either a trust issue or its a cohesion issue, Im hoping this is all cleared up by the elimination rounds, if this were 2004, 06, 08 or 12, I'd have legit fears about not winning gold with this underwhelming crew.

Im watching on abit of a delay but it seems like this game vs France has only been competitive as we've had our worse defensive unit out there. The dregs will always get smashed but our last 3 games have been utterly abysmal and I blame the rotations, it just doesn't mesh optimally.

archdevil84
08-14-2016, 02:31 PM
its just a bunch of selfish players on the roster atm. i mean look at it:
Kyrie, KD, Melo, Thompson are 4 players who are scorers primary and will take shots over passing.
then theres less selfish players like, demar derozan, PG, butler, cousins and barnes
then theres the "passers" or unselfish players which are basically only lowry and green
DJ isnt supposed to pass so i left him out
its just a bunch of players who all wanna show how good they are to the world and they all wanna be the hero of the USA team, instead of playing as a collective group like the squad from 4 years ago

Chronz
08-14-2016, 02:32 PM
US is trying to win by sheer talent. Defense is still questionable and offense is still predictable.

Both are fixable, IMO we should either switch Kyrie with Kyle or DMC with DJ to provide more balance on both ends. I really dislike DeRozen in these games but he has to play somewhere.

Heediot
08-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Both are fixable, IMO we should either switch Kyrie with Kyle or DMC with DJ to provide more balance on both ends. I really dislike DeRozen in these games but he has to play somewhere.

Yeah they need to make some kind of change especially on defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave up the most points in the Olympics outside of the three bottom feeders in China, Nigeria, and Venezuela. I live in Toronto and have never been a fan of Derozan either. I respect his character and work ethic, but his game has always been ugly and inefficient unless the refs are feeding him fts.

Chronz
08-14-2016, 03:23 PM
its just a bunch of selfish players on the roster atm. i mean look at it:
Kyrie, KD, Melo, Thompson are 4 players who are scorers primary and will take shots over passing.
then theres less selfish players like, demar derozan, PG, butler, cousins and barnes
then theres the "passers" or unselfish players which are basically only lowry and green
DJ isnt supposed to pass so i left him out
its just a bunch of players who all wanna show how good they are to the world and they all wanna be the hero of the USA team, instead of playing as a collective group like the squad from 4 years ago

Klay is a gunner but hes not selfish, he basically only looks to shoot as opposed to players who look to pound and shoot. Hes struggling because the offense isn't designed to create open looks, at least not with Cousins and Kyrie looking for their shots as opposed to creating/defending.

We still have the most talent in the world but these countless close games with these declining international cores is not a good look. Honestly, I dont know whats missing because I feel like Coach K should be able to find the optimal lineups but this is flat out embarrassing. We shouldn't be barely scraping by

Chronz
08-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Yeah unless we change **** up drastically and thoroughly dominate, this is prolly our worse Olympic roster of all time given the comp.

Heediot
08-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Yeah unless we change **** up drastically and thoroughly dominate, this is prolly our worse Olympic roster of all time given the comp.

I don't think the competition was a stiff as it is now. I mean Italy with no nbaers won silver. Argentina had an up and coming team with nice talent. Spain was also a nice up and coming team. Outside of those two most of these teams barely had any nbaers. The 8-9 teams now have quite a few more nbaers.

In FIBA ball, chemistry and coaching matters just as much as talent. The 04 team like this team had a bunch of individual talent, but lacked chemistry. The biggest play-makers in '04 was probably their big guys in Odom and Duncan and a rookie LeBron. Like Archdevil mentioned this team lacks people who can run an offense. Lowry and Green are the two best playmakers this time around. Talent will always help you contend so i still expect Spain France and the US to make their runs, but teams like Australia, Serbia and Argentina (whom I underestimated due to age) will be formidable cuz they play with good chemistry and are well coached. Italy medalled in 04 due to chemistry and coaching and not really top talent.

It's true that some teams are aging like Spain and Argentina, but a lot of these teams are in their primes too.

timz-a-changin
08-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Yeah they need to make some kind of change especially on defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave up the most points in the Olympics outside of the three bottom feeders in China, Nigeria, and Venezuela. I live in Toronto and have never been a fan of Derozan either. I respect his character and work ethic, but his game has always been ugly and inefficient unless the refs are feeding him fts.

I agree with this. I do not like the lineups being used. I don't like the offensive, defensive lineup plan. By having out all great offensive players, the ball is taken out of several scorers hands. It needs to be mixed up, especially with Cousins and Irving. They have been horrible defenders and need to be in the lineup with better defensive players around them.

warfelg
08-14-2016, 04:43 PM
It's the same cycle:

Stud team for 2/3 games, stud stars decide it's not worth the wear and tare, they think it's too easy, 'B-team' goes, close games, maybe a gold possibly not, everyone freaks out that "Team USA is done", studs decide to go again.

We're in that "B-Team" spot right now. I would bet if AD, Curry, KAT, Khawi all decided to play that this thing wouldn't be close at all. Suddenly the Team USA depth Chart would be:
Curry/Irving/Lowry
Klay/Derozen/Butler
KD/Khawi/Melo
AD/Green/Melo
Jordan (who should start)/KAT/Cousins

Heck, I might even bump AD to the 5, KD to the 4 and start Khawi at the 3.

NYKalltheway
08-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Group B is open as hell..

D-Leethal
08-14-2016, 05:40 PM
I think without LeBron these guys don't know what to do or who to defer to out there. The group with LeBron, Kobe, KD, Wade, Melo all knew how to play with eachother, they knew their roles, when to defer, who to let lead. Who is the primary creator on this squad? Kyrie? Not sure he has the gall to demand that type of respect around him, Melo and KD aren't primary playmakers, it just seems like roles and pecking order aren't clearly defined with this new team. It's alot easier when you can give LeBron the ball, spread out and let him play quarterback. I think if Curry was on this team the guys would have no problem letting him play that role but not sure Kyrie is the guy to demand the respect that the primary playmaking role on Team USA requires.

Scoots
08-14-2016, 10:20 PM
The problem is that they don't have someone to run the team on the floor a lot of the time. They have plenty of great individual scorers, and guys who can make a pass, but they don't have an offensive identity without a strong floor leader.

US Olympic teams always seem to have bad defensive habits, but defense is more about familiarity and trust so that's hard to foster in 2 weeks of practice.

Chronz
08-15-2016, 01:04 AM
US Olympic teams always seem to have bad defensive habits, but defense is more about familiarity and trust so that's hard to foster in 2 weeks of practice.
I've never known this to be the case, even in our worse try outs, one thing we could rely on is defensive pressure to create turnovers and fast break points. The D on this team is abit lacking unless we have our 2nd unit out there

IKnowHoops
08-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Probably not allowed but I have no idea

But if it is/was allowed

Would Coach K make an emergency call to Lebron and tell him we need him and do whatever it takes to bring him down?

Should they...if it were allowed?

Would Bron start immediately, cold off the plane, 20 minutes after arrival?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-15-2016, 11:43 PM
:facepalm:

mrblisterdundee
08-15-2016, 11:51 PM
Don't go *****ing to daddy just because you might get your *** kicked.

Vee-Rex
08-15-2016, 11:53 PM
We get that you love LeBron, man. But the thread is pretty pointless.

You just message/meet with More-Than-Most - I'm sure you guys would have great chemistry.

More-Than-Most
08-16-2016, 12:31 AM

But if it is/was allowed

Would Coach K make an emergency call to Lebron and tell him we need him and do whatever it takes to bring him down?

:love:

I have never felt closer to you.

IKnowHoops
08-16-2016, 12:37 AM
:facepalm:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh:

IKnowHoops
08-16-2016, 12:40 AM
We get that you love LeBron, man. But the thread is pretty pointless.

You just message/meet with More-Than-Most - I'm sure you guys would have great chemistry.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh:

I ALWAYS stay out of threads I find pointless. I NEVER come into a thread that I think it is pointless to point out that it is pointless.

IKnowHoops
08-16-2016, 12:41 AM
:love:

I have never felt closer to you.

:cheers:

:laugh2:

More-Than-Most
08-16-2016, 12:42 AM
I will say this.. Team usa looks ****ing terrible.... I dont know what is going on but this looks like one of the worst on the court teams I have seen in my entire life and I still expect them to win gold but it wouldnt shock me if they get upset.

IKnowHoops
08-16-2016, 12:44 AM
Don't go *****ing to daddy just because you might get your *** kicked.

It feels more like Daniel Son needing Miaggi

IKnowHoops
08-16-2016, 12:52 AM
I will say this.. Team usa looks ****ing terrible.... I dont know what is going on but this looks like one of the worst on the court teams I have seen in my entire life and I still expect them to win gold but it wouldnt shock me if they get upset.

I haven't watched a single second of a single game so I don't know what is going on. I am however shocked at what has been going on. They have an NBA champion point guard. They have two big bodied centers. They have Durant, Paul George, Klay...you would think that the three of them are better than any players not on the US team. I'd even think Jimmy Butler is better than anyone else. They should be beating teams easily. Tough games should be 15 point victories. Its crazy.

HandsOnTheWheel
08-16-2016, 01:15 AM
Lol

Crackadalic
08-16-2016, 04:25 AM
I haven't watched a single second of a single game so I don't know what is going on. I am however shocked at what has been going on. They have an NBA champion point guard. They have two big bodied centers. They have Durant, Paul George, Klay...you would think that the three of them are better than any players not on the US team. I'd even think Jimmy Butler is better than anyone else. They should be beating teams easily. Tough games should be 15 point victories. Its crazy.

Its called chemistry. You can get away with it like the 08 or 12 team but everyone on this team has never played together outside melo/KD.

The softness of the NBA hasn't prepared them for the physical play.

prodigy
08-16-2016, 04:48 AM
Just give Irving more shots

PhillyFaninLA
08-16-2016, 05:52 AM
This team has way more talent and way more egos than anyone else. There is no excuse for them to play close.

The team was poorly constructed and if they don't start playing as a team they may not medal.

On topic, no, they put this team together horrifically and the world if better than it used to be, and has been keeping players that just said I'd rather be here than in the NBA. In all seriousness if the team tried to pull a stunt like that and I'm the IOC then I may threaten to ban US Mens Basketball from the next Olympics for rules tampering.

With that said, the NCAA champs on any given year should be competitive for a gold medal, loading up with all stars doesn't always work, you need to build a team and not a collection of talent.

PhillyFaninLA
08-16-2016, 05:57 AM

The didn't build a team, that got a collection of talent. That is why they aren't dominating. You don't bring in an all star team, you bring in guys that compliment each other. They still probably win a game, but at this point because the team is built so poorly I wouldn't be stunned if they don't medal.

They need to chuck there egos and decide they want to play together and win a gold, not assume its already done because they show up.

sixer04fan
08-16-2016, 05:57 AM
This is a pretty dumb thread I gotta say. But just for fun -

If it were possible (it's not), sure, why the hell shouldn't they? They could use more help to guarantee gold and Lebron would seal the deal. So why not? Get him on the next flight down to Rio.

sixer04fan
08-16-2016, 06:10 AM
In any imaginary scenario if it were possible/allowed for a basketball team playing in a tournament or a playoff to call up Lebron to play for them in a must win game - you absolutely should be making that call lol. Olympics, NBA, rec league, scrimmage at the park, or otherwise

Heediot
08-16-2016, 06:14 AM
This team has way more talent and way more egos than anyone else. There is no excuse for them to play close.

The team was poorly constructed and if they don't start playing as a team they may not medal.

On topic, no, they put this team together horrifically and the world if better than it used to be, and has been keeping players that just said I'd rather be here than in the NBA. In all seriousness if the team tried to pull a stunt like that and I'm the IOC then I may threaten to ban US Mens Basketball from the next Olympics for rules tampering.

With that said, the NCAA champs on any given year should be competitive for a gold medal, loading up with all stars doesn't always work, you need to build a team and not a collection of talent.

the NCAA team will get their ***** handed to them by these older and more physically/mentally stronger teams. They would be lucky to qualify for the 2nd round.

sixer04fan
08-16-2016, 06:31 AM
the NCAA team will get their ***** handed to them by these older and more physically/mentally stronger teams. They would be lucky to qualify for the 2nd round.

I agree. The NCAA champs would still get destroyed by the stronger countries. They could be competitive against or maybe even beat some of the weaker countries I guess. The difference in talent level between some countries is that severe. But they could never be competitive for gold. Not with the age difference, experience difference, lack of talent/depth, etc., even though they're a "great team."

As a reference point, as bad as this USA team looks, they would beat Villanova or UNC or Kansas or Duke this year by like 50+ points haha. Other respectable countries would also demolish them, like Spain, France, etc.

Heediot
08-16-2016, 06:57 AM
I agree. The NCAA champs would still get destroyed by the stronger countries. They could be competitive against or maybe even beat some of the weaker countries I guess. The difference in talent level between some countries is that severe. But they could never be competitive for gold. Not with the age difference, experience difference, lack of talent/depth, etc., even though they're a "great team."

As a reference point, as bad as this USA team looks, they would beat Villanova or UNC or Kansas or Duke this year by like 50+ points haha. Other respectable countries would also demolish them, like Spain, France, etc.

Maybe they use the Warriors starters and Villanova as the Bench lol. Let Kerr and Jay Wright coach the team. I think that team can attain gold.

Thinking about it some more. Just let the NBA champs represent USA. If there are international guys like Bogut, Barbosa, Varejao, Fezeli on the team you have the option to replace them. The team should be the one pre free agency to reward those who were actually on the roster.

Curry/Klay/Barnes/Green/DJ
Livingston/Iggy/Durant/Cousins/Clark/Speights/Melo

Coach K picks Melo and Durant as leadership experience guys. DJ and Cousins fill the big man void. Kerr comes on as assistant

I think this team would be tougher to beat vs. USA right now due to chemistry.

PhillyFaninLA
08-16-2016, 08:13 AM

Fair enough, I overstated my point and deserved to be called out on it.....I was just trying to say that you need to put a team together properly and didn't say it effectively.

Scoots
08-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Maybe they use the Warriors starters and Villanova as the Bench lol. Let Kerr and Jay Wright coach the team. I think that team can attain gold.

Thinking about it some more. Just let the NBA champs represent USA. If there are international guys like Bogut, Barbosa, Varejao, Fezeli on the team you have the option to replace them. The team should be the one pre free agency to reward those who were actually on the roster.

Curry/Klay/Barnes/Green/DJ
Livingston/Iggy/Durant/Cousins/Clark/Speights/Melo

Coach K picks Melo and Durant as leadership experience guys. DJ and Cousins fill the big man void. Kerr comes on as assistant

I think this team would be tougher to beat vs. USA right now due to chemistry.

It shouldn't be the NBA champs ... it should be the first team eliminated from the playoffs.

Heediot
08-16-2016, 10:54 AM
It shouldn't be the NBA champs ... it should be the first team eliminated from the playoffs.

So Pistons minus Arron Baynes and throw in someone else. Probably Melo for experience and leadership. Use Melo at PF and Joel Anthony can log in some time as the backup 5. 50-50 chance they win gold. Oops Joel Anthony is Canadian they will have a big hole in the backup 5 spot unless they choose someone else other then Melo.

Rockets minus Domantas and Capela. Throw in Melo and DJ. I think they have a better shot, but they were 2nd or 3rd team eliminated.

warfelg
08-16-2016, 11:01 AM

I say they should name 3 "Team USA captains" and let them build their own team.

I bet if they told a group of guys like Curry, Drummond, Khawi to go and build a team you want to play with. I bet the teams would be very good.

mrblisterdundee
08-16-2016, 12:03 PM

All-Bench U.S. Men's Olympic team:

PG - Jrue Holiday, Zach LaVine, Aaron Brooks
SG - Allen Crabbe, Jeremy Lamb
SF - Will Barton, Evan Turner
PF - Ryan Anderson, Jeff Green, Justise Winslow
C - John Henson, Willie Cauley-Stein

I would give them a fighting chance for gold. If the U.S. wants some more experience on the team, they could try replacing someone with Andre Iguodala.

warfelg
08-16-2016, 12:24 PM
What about team USA doing an age limit?

All players under 26?

Heediot
08-16-2016, 12:59 PM
All-Bench U.S. Men's Olympic team:

PG - Jrue Holiday, Zach LaVine, Aaron Brooks
SG - Allen Crabbe, Jeremy Lamb
SF - Will Barton, Evan Turner
PF - Ryan Anderson, Jeff Green, Justise Winslow
C - John Henson, Willie Cauley-Stein

I would give them a fighting chance for gold. If the U.S. wants some more experience on the team, they could try replacing someone with Andre Iguodala.

It's more then possible to have an all bench us team win gold. They key is finding the right pieces that can play together.

IKnowHoops
08-16-2016, 01:12 PM
It's more then possible to have an all bench us team win gold. They key is finding the right pieces that can play together.

I don't think so. Call Bron now.

Vee-Rex
08-16-2016, 05:46 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh:

I ALWAYS stay out of threads I find pointless. I NEVER come into a thread that I think it is pointless to point out that it is pointless.

Apparently I'm not the only one that thought so.

IKnowHoops
08-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Apparently I'm not the only one that thought so.

Well its an olympic topic, so its a good fit.:)

JordansBulls
08-16-2016, 10:56 PM

But if it is/was allowed

The guy has 2 bronze medals

mrblisterdundee
08-17-2016, 03:12 AM

I think that group would play great together, with plenty of young athletes and shooting. I trended toward combo forwards and guards, staying younger. It would be great to watch Willie Cauley-Stein guard every position on the court.

mrblisterdundee
08-17-2016, 03:34 AM
What about team USA doing an age limit?

All players under 26?

To make it more competitive, I'd go down to 22 or younger:

PG - Elfrid Payton, Marcus Smart
SG - D'Angelo Russell, Zach LaVine
SF - Justise Winslow, T.J. Warren, Kyle Anderson
PF - Jabari Parker, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
C - Karl-Anthony Towns, Nerlens Noel, Jahlil Okafor

FlashBolt
08-17-2016, 12:28 PM
The reason this USA Olympics team sucks is because they have zero chemistry and the majority of the players are ball-dominant. You can't find maybe three players out there who truly don't require the ball to be useful. (DJ/Draymond). The rest are offensive talents who are as useful as stick when the rest of them are just playing ISO basketball. This might work once or twice but this is the reality that this USA Olympic team faces right now due to their inability in finding the right players for the right team. They also don't have a pass-first PG. When you have THAT much talent on a team, it's pretty silly to not have one. This USA's team inability to play defense is really pathetic. What they miss is the leadership (let's be honest.. Melo can try all he wants but he's not a leader) from guys like LeBron and Kobe and also, why is Harrison Barnes in this team? That's pretty sad.

Chronz
08-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Tourney begins today. Aussies lighting it up from outside and Baynes just postered Jonas Val.

Scoots
08-17-2016, 01:23 PM
The reason this USA Olympics team sucks is because they have zero chemistry and the majority of the players are ball-dominant. You can't find maybe three players out there who truly don't require the ball to be useful. (DJ/Draymond). The rest are offensive talents who are as useful as stick when the rest of them are just playing ISO basketball. This might work once or twice but this is the reality that this USA Olympic team faces right now due to their inability in finding the right players for the right team. They also don't have a pass-first PG. When you have THAT much talent on a team, it's pretty silly to not have one. This USA's team inability to play defense is really pathetic. What they miss is the leadership (let's be honest.. Melo can try all he wants but he's not a leader) from guys like LeBron and Kobe and also, why is Harrison Barnes in this team? That's pretty sad.

Pretty much what I said ... and they don't even need a leader like LeBron/Kobe ... Elfrid Payton might be enough to get the job done. ISO results in disengaged players on offense AND defense and this "team" is thick with that issue.

Chronz
08-17-2016, 07:48 PM
The team is fine, we just needed to alter the rotations and find a better balance. They started DJ today, had Cousins coming off the bench with a surplus of defenders around he and KD, just as I suggested in my thread. We went on a 20-0 run when we ran what I consider our most optimal lineup with Lowry defending at the point of attack, Paul George, KD and Butler wreaking havoc defensively with either Cousins or DJ out there. Doug Collins seems to agree, the numbers seem to agree, why do we have to start Kyrie and Melo?

zn23
08-17-2016, 11:02 PM
To make it more competitive, I'd go down to 22 or younger:

PG - Elfrid Payton, Marcus Smart
SG - D'Angelo Russell, Zach LaVine
SF - Justise Winslow, T.J. Warren, Kyle Anderson
PF - Jabari Parker, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
C - Karl-Anthony Towns, Nerlens Noel, Jahlil Okafor

22 and younger would put them at a disadvantage. The goal should still be to win medals.

I like the 26 and under though. You'll get some players in their prime plus some young guys.

NYKalltheway
08-18-2016, 03:28 AM
Spain looks awful bro, get over it.

Right.....

Tony_Starks
08-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Watching team USA just reminds me there are so few true Superstars left. You got your "all stars" like the Lowrys of the world who put up decent numbers and give you a few highlight games over the course of a season but they can't take over games. That's why a lot of these guys get totally exposed in the playoffs when the pressure is up.

Also collectively this teams basketball IQ isn't that high. When we had guys like Wade/ Kobe/ CP3 out there it was like having coaches on the floor. They made the right basketball play, offensively and defensively.

This looks more an extended AAU tournament.

FlashBolt
08-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Towns would have been perfect on this team btw

warfelg
08-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Towns would have been perfect on this team btw

Towns-AD-KD front line would have been perfect in FIBA rules play. Long, all can shoot, drive, defend, rebound. Put in a 3-n-D shooting guard and passing PG and the team would be set.

Like in the future a Devin Booker at SG, and Steph Curry at PG. Or, and some might laugh at this: Jrue Holiday at PG with that group.

warfelg
08-18-2016, 06:59 PM
22 and younger would put them at a disadvantage. The goal should still be to win medals.

I like the 26 and under though. You'll get some players in their prime plus some young guys.

Basically what I was thinking. And what you would also hope to do is a few new to NBA guys in an Olympics, then play heavy minutes in a FIBA World championship, then they are starting in the Olympics.

eso
08-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Australia will take the Gold.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 03:07 PM
This start vs Spain is the best Kyrie has played all Olympics, hes still making defensive mistakes but we're leveraging the attention on him against the Spaniards. They would rather have the ball in KD's hands than his it seems. Either that or their guards are just better defensively and keeping him from getting too many touches. Either way, we're doing pretty good with him out there and that was my biggest semi fear.

On the flip side, this is the worst KD has looked. Lazy passes, bad defense and hes losing his composure out there. I wasn't shocked when this ***** admitted he has more fun when he doesn't think about the consequences of his performance but he needs to wake up and realize its time to put your cape on.

zn23
08-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Mirotic and Scrubio are the two worst players on Spain's team.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 03:56 PM
Mirotic and Scrubio are the two worst players on Spain's team.
I dont know whats happened to Rubio, hes never been this bad for them. Mirotic has been inconsistent but he was huge in their win when Pau was hurting.

The thing with Spain is they dont mesh well defensively. I know they are only allowed to bring 1 of Miro or Ibaka but it really sucks that they dont have Ibaka to play alongside Pau. Had Marc Gasol been playing instead of Pau then Miro makes sense.

Wonder if Ibaka's relatively poor showing with Spain that one time had anything to do with him not being brought back. Or if Ibaka just didn't want to play.

aman_13
08-19-2016, 04:00 PM
So they don't call jersey pulls? Jordan got held on the lob from Lowry.

FlashBolt
08-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Klay takes some really terrible shots? I get that he makes some of them but it's indicative of a low BBIQ the way he decides to just pull up the way he does.

zn23
08-19-2016, 04:14 PM
Pau Gasol played well. Pretty much the only player on that team that did anything.

Heediot
08-19-2016, 04:16 PM
US was struggling to close it with a nice margin. If Spain hit a couple of those wide open 3's the US would of been ******** their pants.

The offense is ugly as **** and didn't do **** in the last minute or 2.

Heediot
08-19-2016, 04:20 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Klay takes some really terrible shots? I get that he makes some of them but it's indicative of a low BBIQ the way he decides to just pull up the way he does.

This Olympics has exposed Klay, Green and Barnes as system players. Green did ok when I seen him, I don't know why he didn't get more burn, so maybe I should give Green more credit. Klay's ball handling was exposed.

The whole team is forced to make difficult contested shots more than it should. While the opposition moves the ball around getting better looks.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 04:21 PM

Game ball to Klay and DJ. Really glad Coach K took my notes on playing with more balance to heart......

Not that this has to do with your post entirely but I'm going off on a tangent here.

Klay has been really underrated these games, people keep citing his individual offensive struggles but the team has been at its best with him on the floor and the reason is because hes the one 2-way player that gets good run with both the 1st and 2nd unit. It reminds me of his play in the World Cup when he came off the bench but led the team in minutes. Its because hes the glue that makes everyone better. You think opposing countries care that he hasn't hit his shots? They simply aren't leaving him open offensively and defensively he compliments anyone.

Like Kyrie and Kyle bring contrasting styles that you can choose between, same with DJ and Cousins, Paul George and Carmelo, but you always want Klay out there. The only negative is if hes taking and missing too many dumb shots.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Also, some players have tunnel vision so they dont really use their peripherals when zeroing in on the hoop. Its not necessarily bad IQ, just something they have trained themselves to do in order to get shots off, kind of how Kobe had to tell his teammates to let him know if he was missing them. Im thinking it was his way of helping gauge on whether to pass more or less. Had Klay not taken those dumb shots vs OKC, we get KD vs LBJ part 2.

FlashBolt
08-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Game ball to Klay and DJ. Really glad Coach K took my notes on playing with more balance to heart......

Not that this has to do with your post entirely but I'm going off on a tangent here.

Klay has been really underrated these games, people keep citing his individual offensive struggles but the team has been at its best with him on the floor and the reason is because hes the one 2-way player that gets good run with both the 1st and 2nd unit. It reminds me of his play in the World Cup when he came off the bench but led the team in minutes. Its because hes the glue that makes everyone better. You think opposing countries care that he hasn't hit his shots? They simply aren't leaving him open offensively and defensively he compliments anyone.

Like Kyrie and Kyle bring contrasting styles that you can choose between, same with DJ and Cousins, Paul George and Carmelo, but you always want Klay out there. The only negative is if hes taking and missing too many dumb shots.

Absolutely those two were but there was this one play where he takes an unbalanced three just because he can. At some point, you have to be smarter than that. Making tough shots doesn't mean you should forcibly look to take them.

Heediot
08-19-2016, 04:41 PM

It's true that Klay is a threat as a spot up shooter and draws the defense out, but just don't let him try to create too much on O. FIBA rules limit his below average handles even more.

Scoots
08-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Klay used to quit shooting when he missed. Curry and Kerr and Walton forced him to keep shooting, then he had that 37 point quarter and then a few lesser versions of the same thing and while he still has a conscience his confidence does get him into trouble. When he struggles most is when he HAS to score and the team is standing around essentially watching ... that's when he really starts to just shoot.

It's not a low BBIQ, but a confidence thing. His Dad is always hyper critical of him and it sounds like he always has been, and that may have some effect on delayed development there. Still his FG% has been steadily climbing for the last 4 years while shooting more each year so he's doing something right.

My guess is next year there will be more room in the paint and mid-range and his FG% should go up again.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 04:55 PM
It's true that Klay is a threat as a spot up shooter and draws the defense out, but just don't let him try to create too much on O. FIBA rules limit his below average handles even more.

He rarely overextends himself but if its a simple escape move, he can pull it off sometimes. Like that turnaround he hit as time was winding down comes to mind. But yeah hes a below average passer and a mediocre ball handler. If it wasn't for his jumper (like even just dropping him to just a good shooter or midrange guy) and athleticism, teams would force him into so many turnovers. But as he is, hes a much improved slasher from his early days

Absolutely those two were but there was this one play where he takes an unbalanced three just because he can. At some point, you have to be smarter than that. Making tough shots doesn't mean you should forcibly look to take them.

Yeah I know the play you're talking about, you take the good with the bad with guys sometimes. Like when Pop first saw Manu play, he tried to restrict him for passes he viewed as high risk (another way of saying low iq) but when he saw how often those risks were successful, he eventually figured it was a battle he would never win against Manu. Now there are plays that we just shudder at when they miss but there are also plays that make us see why they take dumb shots in the first place. But yeah, thats prolly one he should've left alone, he usually plays within the team so I can forgive him. Dude wanted to get going for once.

NYKalltheway
08-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Wonder if Ibaka's relatively poor showing with Spain that one time had anything to do with him not being brought back. Or if Ibaka just didn't want to play.

Mirotic was always the #1 guy for Spain. Ibaka just happened to mature sooner and had a shot. But they were always going for Mirotic as their 'naturalized' guy.

Vee-Rex
08-19-2016, 06:18 PM
This start vs Spain is the best Kyrie has played all Olympics, hes still making defensive mistakes but we're leveraging the attention on him against the Spaniards. They would rather have the ball in KD's hands than his it seems. Either that or their guards are just better defensively and keeping him from getting too many touches. Either way, we're doing pretty good with him out there and that was my biggest semi fear.

On the flip side, this is the worst KD has looked. Lazy passes, bad defense and hes losing his composure out there. I wasn't shocked when this ***** admitted he has more fun when he doesn't think about the consequences of his performance but he needs to wake up and realize its time to put your cape on.

I'd argue Kyrie has been the 2nd best Olympics player we've had. If not, no worse than 3rd. He had a PUTRID defensive game vs. Argentina, but the rest were okay (a bad quarter sprinkled in here and there).

Not only is Kyrie an elite scorer, I dare say he's one of the most consistent scorers in the league in terms of efficiency (up there with Curry/Bron/KD/CP3). Where you see guys like Melo/Klay/Harden/Leonard/Cousins go 2/10 or 5/19 from the field, you rarely see Kyrie put up those kind of numbers (it happens but not often at all).

I think people underrate the significance of being a consistent scorer.

Heediot
08-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Serbia defense is stifling the Aussie's. Up by 21 at the half.

zn23
08-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Serbia is doing a number on Australia right now. Kinda shocked tbh. The fast pace is really hurting Baynes and Bogut.

NYKalltheway
08-19-2016, 06:44 PM
I can't see how Australia were favorites here. Cashed out on my bet before half-time with over 90% of the potential winnings lol.

Heediot
08-19-2016, 06:45 PM
I'd argue Kyrie has been the 2nd best Olympics player we've had. If not, no worse than 3rd. He had a PUTRID defensive game vs. Argentina, but the rest were okay (a bad quarter sprinkled in here and there).

Not only is Kyrie an elite scorer, I dare say he's one of the most consistent scorers in the league in terms of efficiency (up there with Curry/Bron/KD/CP3). Where you see guys like Melo/Klay/Harden/Leonard/Cousins go 2/10 or 5/19 from the field, you rarely see Kyrie put up those kind of numbers (it happens but not often at all).

You have some solid points with his individual scoring, but what USA needs from him more then that is PG play. They need him to help create and facilitate the offense. In this regard he has disappointing, which isn't too surprising as he is more of a scorer vs. passer.

Heediot
08-19-2016, 06:49 PM
I can't see how Australia were favorites here. Cashed out on my bet before half-time with over 90% of the potential winnings lol.

Nice. I've been following Serbia for a bit, they are the opposite of USA and France to a degree. Those guys have the talent but don't play as well as a team. Serbia's chemistry is off the charts.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 06:52 PM

I disagree entirely, at least when compared to all the facets of ones game. I dont think its a coincidence that hes the 1 player whos lineups have fared the worst defensively of all the core players. Nor do I think teams dont purposely attack him, Coach K began starting DJ to cover for Irving which is something I suggested as I watched 2 mediocre defenders allow the defense to break down.

Theres also the fact that as the primary ball handler who often pounds the ball at the expense of his teammates (Paul George has brought up how much easier he finds the game with the 2nd unit due to penetration+defense), he damn well better be consistent with his shooting. If hes inconsistent with his offense to go with his consistently bad defense, there really is no point in playing him.

I dont know if hes as efficient as you think but I look forward to the "Leap" this year to back it up cuz hes certainly not proven any of that these Olympics. If we look solely at his scoring, then yeah hes prolly top-2 but as an overall player/leader? Far from it, we've been at our best with him on the bench. Well except for today, he was like the 3rd best player today.

NYKalltheway
08-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Nice. I've been following Serbia for a bit, they are the opposite of USA and France to a degree. Those guys have the talent but don't play as well as a team. Serbia's chemistry is off the charts.

And they're genuine fighters. They'll bleed on the court... Australia is too soft and would be a rather easy game for the USA as they're more similar to them but with much less quality.
Serbia will make things interesting. Assuming they manage to stay fresh for that encounter.

But it's not over yet, Serbia can still choke here :p

Chronz
08-19-2016, 07:10 PM
I think we can all agree this has been the worst team USA since the 04 debacle. 2nd worst in DT history

Heediot
08-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Teodosic should be running an NBA team.

kobe4thewinbang
08-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Coach K better be cracking down on this team come the gold medal game. They only beat Spain by 6, but more distressing to me anyway is only scoring 82 points.

NYKalltheway
08-19-2016, 07:24 PM

he doesn't want to

zn23
08-19-2016, 07:52 PM

Considering Scrubio is running the T-Wolves I don't see why Teodosic can't do the same. He's at least 1000x better than Scrubio.

zn23
08-19-2016, 07:53 PM
The announcer said it best that Australia was just shell-shocked. They were great front runners in the tournament but never faced any kind of adversity. When things weren't going well for them, they only got worse.

Ariza's Better
08-19-2016, 08:00 PM
Bad coaching cost the boomers. It sucks that boomers officials love affair with the NBL will cost this team a medal.

Chronz
08-19-2016, 08:07 PM
You have some solid points with his individual scoring, but what USA needs from him more then that is PG play. They need him to help create and facilitate the offense. In this regard he has disappointing, which isn't too surprising as he is more of a scorer vs. passer.
Yeah I guess its not all his fault but hes literally the one guy on the team who cant play any other way. A guy like Paul George is easily the superior player but because his game can lend itself to dominating defensively, it only makes sense to play him that way while allowing the scoring minded PG to focus on the only thing hes dominant at. Its not like we can just tell Kyrie to become a pure PG or just dominate defensively, which btw, I sincerely hope Kyrie plays better defense than this come the start of the season because if having this much talent around him doesn't bring it out, Im not sure what will. Whereas almost everyone else aside from Melo, DD and maybe Cousins has that in their toolbox.

So yeah, Im not overly impressed with Kyries production given its come somewhat at the expense of his teammates and the fact that he is pretty much bound to put up numbers if everyone else is doing the dirty work.

Heediot
08-19-2016, 08:16 PM
US is going to game plan hard for Radulijica and Jokic, as both of these guys especially the later killed them last game. You have to watch out for their ball movement and shooters. Most of the guys on the roster are good passers and shooters, so sending help down there might bite the US in the ***.

Vee-Rex
08-20-2016, 10:32 AM

That's true.

Part of the problem also is that the team is so full of talent that Kyrie won't ever get the shot attempts needed to overshadow his weaknesses. If he's putting up 25+ppg then absolutely it more than makes up for his weaknesses and his impact becomes all-star caliber. But if the offense is suffering because you got guys shooting badly and Kyrie's getting 22 minutes just on the court taking 8 shots a game then yeah, it's not helpful to team USA because of his drawbacks.

Chronz
08-20-2016, 05:33 PM
That's true.

Part of the problem also is that the team is so full of talent that Kyrie won't ever get the shot attempts needed to overshadow his weaknesses. If he's putting up 25+ppg then absolutely it more than makes up for his weaknesses and his impact becomes all-star caliber. But if the offense is suffering because you got guys shooting badly and Kyrie's getting 22 minutes just on the court taking 8 shots a game then yeah, it's not helpful to team USA because of his drawbacks.

True but at the same time, the offense is excellent, yes it may come at the expense of a few of his teammates from game to game because hes obviously more of a scorer himself, but the team results are undeniable. Hes leading our best offensive units regardless of how they mesh, its just his defense is so bad its almost entirely negates his offense. As you said its because he doesn't get the touches to offset it but just like everyone else, he should be fresher with the drastic cut in minutes/workload, he should be MUCH better defensively.

I know Im getting repetitive with this bad defense schtick but hes not even anticipating getting screened, I dont know how many reps it takes to develop the spatial awareness but Im curious, when the initial pick comes, do you know the difference between how CP3 angles/positions his body vs Kyrie? Its really simple to notice when you look at hundreds of possessions. Just trying to spark a conversation, not trying to be combative, just trying to highlight why CP3 is so adept at defending the PnR.

kdspurman
08-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Spain got bailed out big time. Not a good call there

aman_13
08-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Australia got robbed.

Heediot
08-21-2016, 12:35 PM
That was either a no call or an offensive foul. Mills had position. Sick finish though.

zn23
08-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Pau Gasol showed up and proved he's still got something left in the tank. He was unstoppable. Bad call at the end for Australia though.

Chronz
08-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Oh **** guys its almost here.

Vee-Rex
08-21-2016, 02:26 PM
True but at the same time, the offense is excellent, yes it may come at the expense of a few of his teammates from game to game because hes obviously more of a scorer himself, but the team results are undeniable. Hes leading our best offensive units regardless of how they mesh, its just his defense is so bad its almost entirely negates his offense. As you said its because he doesn't get the touches to offset it but just like everyone else, he should be fresher with the drastic cut in minutes/workload, he should be MUCH better defensively.

I know Im getting repetitive with this bad defense schtick but hes not even anticipating getting screened, I dont know how many reps it takes to develop the spatial awareness but Im curious, when the initial pick comes, do you know the difference between how CP3 angles/positions his body vs Kyrie? Its really simple to notice when you look at hundreds of possessions. Just trying to spark a conversation, not trying to be combative, just trying to highlight why CP3 is so adept at defending the PnR.

If you watch Kyrie defend the PnR, you'll see he respects the pick wayyyy too much. Whether he goes underneath or over, he's usually trying to avoid contact, whereas CP3 is a mastermind at finding that middle-ground between contact and going around it. CP3 will harass, Kyrie will chase, and that's the big difference I notice. Sometimes the pick isn't even set well, yet Kyrie will be doing everything to dodge around it.

If he doesn't anticipate the screen, he'll slow down and get absorbed into it, as if to cushion the contact. Whether he stops completely or tries to go around it, the primary motive seems to be to avoid firm contact.

This regular season Kyrie played extremely conservative on defense. I don't know if he decided to take it easy or if he's being coached to not go all out, but that's what I've noticed compared to 2014-15. Despite DBPM numbers being equal (which aren't anything to rely on), I think Kyrie was a bit better defensively last year, especially for certain stretches. In 2 straight playoffs he has turned it up significantly on defense.

Despite how smooth and calculated it may look, Kyrie is a reckless offensive player. He dives into the paint and focuses more on finishing than establishing proper footing or drawing fouls. He's probably a top 3 finisher in the paint in the league due to that kind of focus. He changes direction sharply when attacking also. He's like a pre-injury Rose but a much better dribbler and not as explosive in the lane.

Kyrie works extremely hard to get his buckets and that's what makes him so dangerous. He might make some things looks smooth and easy, but he's working really hard. So while outsiders may heavily criticize his defense, I'm not AS hard. It sucks when he's not defending well, trust me... it upsets me, but I know if he was to go all out defensively he'll most likely get injured. It doesn't help Irving either when he's defending the PnR with Love, and that's something people don't seem to account for.

Honestly, there's not too many 2-way elite point guards out there. CP3 is the only one, with Steph being a decent defender and above-elite offensive player. While guys like Rubio and Lowry are viewed as elite defenders, one could say, "Maybe they're just elite because they're not working as hard on offense or their offense is based around drawing fouls".

During the regular season we had Cavs fans (from other forums) acting like they want to trade Kyrie and keep Delly, citing +/- stats. The ridiculousness stems from being unable to comprehend just how important offense is, ISO or not. You could throw the best defender in the history of mankind on Curry and he could still light him up for 50 points. The caveat here is - when does Kyrie's defense hurt where the ball-handler wouldn't have scored if Kyrie was better defending it. No one can provide that sort of answer.

Defense as a whole depends on whether or not the offensive guy scores. I can MAKE it harder, but this is the most elite offensive talent in the world here... sometimes it doesn't matter. Sometimes, I can play terrible defense and the player I'm guarding just misses shots.

But when a guy can score... and score efficiently, that's the epitome of the game. Obviously, defense and play-making for teammates are extremely important for success... but scoring is unmatched.

If player A rates a 10 in offense and a 0 in defense, and player B rates 10 in defense and 0 in offense, player A will always be a more desirable player, not just from a fan-standpoint but from a front office standpoint as well.

I'm hoping with an actual offseason under Lue, we'll get better at switching on the PnR to help offset that weakness. I think people are gonna be surprised by how much better we'll be this year.

IKnowHoops
08-21-2016, 02:43 PM
This is about to be the first game I have watched the entire olympics. I hope I don't jinx this.

Chronz
08-21-2016, 03:26 PM
This is about to be the first game I have watched the entire olympics. I hope I don't jinx this.

If you want, I can help you start a petition to grant you a new moniker. IknowNBA, might be more fitting.

IKnowHoops
08-21-2016, 03:32 PM
Great choice to keep Durant in the entire game. He looks like a man among boys.