PDA

View Full Version : Thon Maker caught lying about his age? Not 19yo (could be 24)

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Thon Maker has been on the radar of NBA scouts and recruitniks for years. The first time I saw him play was at an EYBL event in Hampton, Virginia in 2013. He became an internet sensation in 2014 when a gaggle of uninformed bloggers decided that he was the next Kevin Durant based off of a mixtape. He transferred to a high school in Canada for 2015 and, after convincing the NBA that he had already graduated and spent last season in a post-graduate year, was allowed to enter the NBA Draft.

We know all that about him.

But thatís just about all we know.

A former top recruit in the class of 2016, Maker is one of this draftís biggest gambles. Heís a 7-foot-1 forward that has some perimeter skill, can hit threes and can blocks shots. When heís playing well, itís not hard to see something between a Kevin Garnett and Chris Bosh. But he hasnít been overly impressive all that often, he was worked over at a Hoop Summit event he attended and his lack of college playing experience means that NBA teams really have nothing to base a scouting report on.

Oh, and he may or may not be five years old than he says:

Now, thereís a lot to dig through here.

For starters, if Maker truly is 24 years old, thatís obviously the kind of thing that would torpedo his draft stock. Youíre not projecting what a kid could be in that circumstance. Youíre drafting a finished product, and heís not a good enough product to be an NBA player right now.

This isnít the first time that there have been rumors about Makerís age, either. Heís from Sudan, and there are always questions about the accuracy of a birth certificate from that area of the world. Beyond the simple fact that record-keeping and governmental infrastructure is not the same as it is here, thereís a pretty significant incentive to forge documents. Raw 7-footers have potential, and that potential gives them monetary value. If knocking five years off of a playerís age turns him from a potential D-League talent into a lottery pick, there are a lot of people ó including the family themselves ó that stand to profit.

Just ask Jonathon Nicola.

But the other side of this is that any rumors or sources that make noise on draft day are doing so because they want the information theyíre sharing out there for a reason. Thereís an agenda behind the scoop, which gives us reason to question the accuracy of the info being shared.

So who knows whatís true and what isnít true here.

Itís a convoluted situation involving a good kid surrounded by some unseemly characters, but thereís an easier answer here than you think: If Maker can play, if heís a ďproĒ, heíll find his way onto a roster, whether itís via the draft or free agency. If heís not, he wonít.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/06/23/so-just-how-old-is-thon-maker/

I don't blame him, dude's maybe trying to get out of extreme poverty. I can't judge him. He's not out robbing or killing ppl. Shame he's getting hit up draft day ala Leremy Tunsil style

FOXHOUND
06-23-2016, 02:28 PM
https://youtu.be/YMnP_zQmMLw?t=31s

This is what I've thought of since the moment I saw him.

Aust
06-23-2016, 02:39 PM
That would suck if he is younger and teams are doing this to torpedo his stock for their personal agenda.

ManRam
06-23-2016, 02:44 PM
If he's 24 there's almost no reason to touch him. I'd rather draft a Euro that at best you'll have to stash for 3-4 years than draft him.

If he's 19 he's worth a mid-first round pick. There's still so much time to hone that talent and ability.

Will be really fascinating to see what happens with him. It's a really fair thing to be concerned about. At 24 you are who you are. What he is now is something not even close to NBA-ready.

LoveCaliFan
06-23-2016, 03:28 PM
That would suck if he is younger and teams are doing this to torpedo his stock for their personal agenda.

that's wut i think..get everyone to back down. Which is good for lakers...lol..but. i bet NETS draft him..cuz seen pacers were interested, but they just traded 20....Thon Maker to nets?

LoveCaliFan
06-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Thaddeous to pacer makes no sense to me. Could of got better or same value with pick. He is a great vet that hustle's and can spread floor, but he is not runnin at the pace they want...lol..Makes me think something else goin down with the pacers..you usually can almost read the script...

BKLYNpigeon
06-23-2016, 03:53 PM
or it could be one of the teams with a late lottery pick trying to kill his draft stock so they can draft him.

True Sports Fan
06-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Even if he is 24, it's not like he can't continue growing. Most players tend to reach their prime at 27-30. Not to say that he'll become a star or anything, but with the right coaching staff and ethic, why can't he develop into a solid player?

IndyRealist
06-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Even if he is 24, it's not like he can't continue growing. Most players tend to reach their prime at 27-30. Not to say that he'll become a star or anything, but with the right coaching staff and ethic, why can't he develop into a solid player?

Because most of your growth as a player happens in your early 20s. Maker is 3 years away from being 3 years away. If he's 19 that's fine, if he's 24 that's not. By the time he has the skills to make use of his athletic ability, his athletic ability will be declining.

FlashBolt
06-23-2016, 05:05 PM
20-24 is a huge difference maker. Those years show a lot about who you are as a player and person. If this dude is willing to lie about his age, I totally get it. But his stock value just plummets because of that as well.

DboneG
06-23-2016, 05:57 PM
"As a scout told The Undefeated, "The real problem with Thon Maker? There's so little to evaluate his ability.""......huh?! So, little to evaluate his ability?

Did they invite him to the pre draft combine?!!! Did they see the tons of video on You Tube?!!
Did they watch any of his H.S. games?! I think it's some bs going on. I think the NBA is throwing this monkey wrench, to try and thwart guys from using his route into the NBA. There's a DNA to test age..."No More Lying About Your Age: Tissue Test Can Tell" about a 3 year margin of error.

da ThRONe
06-23-2016, 06:01 PM
"As a scout told The Undefeated, "The real problem with Thon Maker? There's so little to evaluate his ability.""......huh?! So, little to evaluate his ability?

Did they invite him to the pre draft combine?!!! Did they see the tons of video on You Tube?!!
Did they watch any of his H.S. games?! I think it's some bs going on. I think the NBA is throwing this monkey wrench, to try and thwart guys from using his route into the NBA. There's a DNA to test age..."No More Lying About Your Age: Tissue Test Can Tell" about a 3 year margin of error.

3years is still a pretty big window.

LoveCaliFan
06-23-2016, 06:08 PM

U might be right. Which only tells me someone's fo is chokin the chicken to pick him, but maybe only to get him drafted somewhere he could flourish. Hope so. im. tryin to be positive hopin he fall to lakers. besides 50% of the players prob not the age they say they are. They make enough to hide that fact. Just ask the president. Whom by the way wants to own a piece of nba franchise...Making money off slaves is all that matters to them.

DboneG
06-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Thon Maker asked if I could ask this question....If the earth is spinning 1,000mph, and moving around the sun, and the sun moving around the milky way...How is it that the North star/Polaris star is FIXED. ALL YEAR AROUND. We see the North star in the same position every year. I couldn't answer it.

I said...What difference does it make! He said exactly.

IndyRealist
06-23-2016, 06:53 PM

Everybody looks good in a highlight reel on Youtube.

SenileStern
06-23-2016, 07:40 PM
If he's 24, it would mean his brother isn't 18 either?

LeonFSU
06-23-2016, 07:51 PM

If I had to bet, it would be on this. Why does this come out today, on draft day? He's been eligible for over two months...

basch152
06-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Anyone comment on the ridiculous statement saying if he's 24 he's a finished product, not a developing one?

Still PLENTY of room to improve at 24, especiallt for someone just entering the NBA.

Such and absurd comment.

Reminds me of the retards saying 20 year old andrew wiggins in his second year is what he is and won't get any better.

Smh.

joeystats
06-23-2016, 08:29 PM
He's going #10 according to Marc Stein

Aust
06-23-2016, 08:41 PM
So much for his stock dropping, christ..

mike_noodles
06-23-2016, 09:57 PM
They say he moved to Australia at 8 years old. Australian school officials would be absolute morons if they couldn't tell that he was actually 13. I'm not buying it. Maybe a year or two tops.

ewing
06-23-2016, 10:17 PM
carbon dating *****es

JasonJohnHorn
06-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Similar story happened in my home town A guy nearly 30 was posing as a teenage: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/basketball-player-jonathan-nicola-17-not-29-recruiter-asserts-1.3549573

I understand that he did it to get out of a region that was dangerous and economically depressed, so I don't fault him, but I expect this may happen more in the future.

beasted86
06-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Definitely doesn't look 19.

He's most likely lying just like Biyombo did. Anyone who believes a 23 year old has that type of receding hairline is a gullible fool who should get a membership at LifeLock ASAP!

But hey, that "23" year old is about to get a huge contract. So at the end of the day, if Maker similarly produces in the NBA, that's all that really matters.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sadds The Gr8
06-24-2016, 06:51 PM
Hes 41

eDush
06-25-2016, 08:54 AM
The big question is who would draft him now....

IndyRealist
06-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Has "bust" written all over him.

beasted86
06-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Has "bust" written all over him.
Not sure you can really be a bust at 10. There are so many guys who don't ever make a real impact drafted there.

The real problem is Milwaukee couldn't have been a worse fit. I have no clue how they plan to make Monroe, Giannis, Parker, Henson and Maker work together. None of those guys seem to compliment each other.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

eDush
06-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Maker is older than Monroe :laugh2:

eDush
06-25-2016, 03:53 PM
They will be known as M&M now, the new dynamic duo :nod:.

Scoots
06-25-2016, 06:40 PM
carbon dating *****es

Cut him in half and count the rings.

Scoots
06-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Anyone comment on the ridiculous statement saying if he's 24 he's a finished product, not a developing one?

Still PLENTY of room to improve at 24, especiallt for someone just entering the NBA.

Such and absurd comment.

Reminds me of the retards saying 20 year old andrew wiggins in his second year is what he is and won't get any better.

Smh.

Humans develop physically considerably between 19 and 24. To argue that they don't is frankly silly. Are his skills going to improve regardless? I'd certainly hope so. But if he's 24 he's never going to be as strong in his career than if he is currently 19, and he's never going to be as good. Time always wins and thus time ALWAYS matters.

Aust
06-27-2016, 06:41 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4q3bvy/research_into_thon_makers_age_probably_far_older/

holy ****

Jeffy25
06-27-2016, 06:49 PM
20-24 is a huge difference maker. Those years show a lot about who you are as a player and person. If this dude is willing to lie about his age, I totally get it. But his stock value just plummets because of that as well.

I see what you did there

5ass
06-27-2016, 07:10 PM
http://imgur.com/r/nbacirclejerk/GE9Fc5e

Lmao

tredigs
06-28-2016, 11:26 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4q3bvy/research_into_thon_makers_age_probably_far_older/

holy ****

Yeah I've been talking about this thread and I'll CP my post from the draft section...

OK yeah, this is the reddit thread I'm referencing (and just noticed we have a Thon Age thread). So my question is, why are we not getting the names from this yearbook and facebooking his classmates (or better yet just contact the school itself... which I did not see the name of) asking if he was in fact there with them? It will take ~5 responses and this debate is 100% over one way or the other.
So, there is absolutely zero way this school has not been contacted to either verify or deny that Thon was there. The Bucks 100% know at this point whether or not he's 18 or 23, and frankly anyone here could probably do the same.

IndyRealist
06-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Yeah I've been talking about this thread and I'll CP my post from the draft section...

So, there is absolutely zero way this school has not been contacted to either verify or deny that Thon was there. The Bucks 100% know at this point whether or not he's 18 or 23, and frankly anyone here could probably do the same.

People still think Obama isn't a US citizen. I don't think it matters what the school says, people will still believe whatever

tredigs
06-28-2016, 12:51 PM
People still think Obama isn't a US citizen. I don't think it matters what the school says, people will still believe whatever

I'm not really concerned with conspiracy theorists or their opinion. I'm just saying there is a very clear and very easy solution to this question. Be it contacting the members in that yearbook or contacting the school itself. Which the Bucks have 100% done at this point.

bcc
06-28-2016, 02:17 PM
I don't blame him, dude's maybe trying to get out of extreme poverty. I can't judge him. He's not out robbing or killing ppl. Shame he's getting hit up draft day ala Leremy Tunsil style

Wow. So apparently, Thon Maker is the victim in all this.
Go figure, huh?
And tell me about his "extreme poverty?"
Australia, Louisiana, VA, and now Canada.
One thing's certain; he hasn't lived in the Sudan since he was 5.
I don't know about his families $$ situation and neither do you.
But he and his brother have always had parental figures around.

JasonJohnHorn
06-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Humans develop physically considerably between 19 and 24. To argue that they don't is frankly silly. Are his skills going to improve regardless? I'd certainly hope so. But if he's 24 he's never going to be as strong in his career than if he is currently 19, and he's never going to be as good. Time always wins and thus time ALWAYS matters.

You were on point. I think this comment took it out of context.

If a 24-year-old is coming into the league, you expect him to be ready to play at an All-Star level or at least be a dominant starter. There isn't as much room to grow.

When guys like Kareem and Hakeem were 24, they proved themselves to be MVP calibre players. When guys came in after 4-years in college, they were expected to be NBA ready. Look at Lillard. Guy was great his first year because he was a 4-year college player.

Not to mention the fact that any decent 24-year-old will dominant in high school. Could you imagine Jordan playing against a high school squad when he was 24? Or Hakeem? It would be a joke. If this kid is 24 and NOT making high school kid around him look like a toddler, then he won't be $#!T in the NBA.

FlashBolt
06-29-2016, 07:46 PM
So they pegged this dude at age 23-24. He plays center so let's say if Dwight was playing center at age 24 against High School kids. If a few people from Reddit can figure this out, it's safe to say the Bucks knew and didn't care. Regardless, let's hope he can play like a 24 year old. There's really nothing for this "kid" to go other than bust. He can't develop any further and if he does, it's only for a few years. Might be a waste of a pick... can't blame the guy, though. How can anyone pass down the opportunity to earn millions?