PDA

View Full Version : Thad Young traded to the Pacers

North Yorker
06-23-2016, 01:55 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 2m2 minutes ago
Brooklyn has traded forward Thad Young to the Indiana Pacers for the 20th pick and a future 2nd rounder, league sources tell @TheVertical.
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/746038398486470656
Woj

IndyRealist
06-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Tell me it ain't so.

greg_ory_2005
06-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Pacers have made a couple nice moves to get Thad and Teague

DR_1
06-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Larry Legend going all in. They have a nice team so far.

Teague
Ellis
George
Young
Mahinmi (could use an upgrade but he's serviceable)

Also like it for Brooklyn - they can use any picks they can get

koreancabbage
06-23-2016, 02:04 PM
nice moves.

FOXHOUND
06-23-2016, 02:05 PM
This was a smart way to play smaller/faster and get around the fact that George has no interest in playing PF. He's also way better at SF, so win-win.

kobe4thewinbang
06-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Better than being on the Nets. Got him on my Spurs and Spurs wanted Thad in the past. Good player.
Pacers making waves.

kobe4thewinbang
06-23-2016, 02:06 PM
This was a smart way to play smaller/faster and get around the fact that George has no interest in playing PF. He's also way better at SF, so win-win.This.

hugepatsfan
06-23-2016, 02:07 PM
I think IND is building a very solid team that can compete for #3 in the East. Maybe even #2.

One worry would be that I think they're locking themselves into a lot of "meh" players if they extend Teague. Ellis/Teague/Young would take up all their cap around PG and I'm not sure they have a secondary star there. They'd be shutting themselves out of FA so Myles Turner needs to be that guy for them if they want to get to a championship level IMO.

IndyRealist
06-23-2016, 02:08 PM
Larry Legend going all in. They have a nice team so far.

Teague
Ellis
George
Young
Mahinmi (could use an upgrade but he's serviceable)

Also like it for Brooklyn - they can use any picks they can get

Mahimni is a free agent. Turner is currently the starting C.

Crackadalic
06-23-2016, 02:09 PM
They have a nice starting 5 now

Aust
06-23-2016, 02:13 PM
Turner is a stud btw.

I like what Indy has done so far.

IndyRealist
06-23-2016, 02:16 PM
Without anything else, I am hard pressed to say this team is better than last year's 8th seed.

ManRam
06-23-2016, 02:16 PM
Good move for both sides.

Still not sure about Teague instead of Hill, but that's a nice starting 5 they have. I think we can stop any and all hypothetical Paul George trade speculation/dreams now (if we hadn't already).

FOXHOUND
06-23-2016, 02:17 PM
They'll still have the cap space to go after a solid player too. If they renounced the rights to Jordan Hill and Ty Lawson that would clear $5M, leaving them with $12M for year 1 salary to go after someone like Bazemore. They can renounce the rights for Solomon Hill to clear an additional $2M to if they need to. Then they can resign Mahinmi over the cap. Get a solid 3 and D SG, move Ellis to scoring 6th man where he belongs and you've got a nice squad.

hugepatsfan
06-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Without anything else, I am hard pressed to say this team is better than last year's 8th seed.

Do you see Bird going as "all in" as he can. I could see him making a real run at Horford and it's an intriguing idea. Him and Turner would be a very offensively versatile front court. Looking at your cap situation you'd be able to offer him close to the max after this deal. Maybe you trade Stuckey or Miles to free up the cap room to but that leaves your depth shaky.

hugepatsfan
06-23-2016, 02:25 PM
They'll still have the cap space to go after a solid player too. If they renounced the rights to Jordan Hill and Ty Lawson that would clear $5M, leaving them with $12M for year 1 salary to go after someone like Bazemore. They can renounce the rights for Solomon Hill to clear an additional $2M to if they need to. Then they can resign Mahinmi over the cap. Get a solid 3 and D SG, move Ellis to scoring 6th man where he belongs and you've got a nice squad.

Teague/Stuckey
Bazemore/Ellis
George/Miles
Turner/Allen
Mahinimi

Plus a room exception? That looks pretty good to me.

TheDish87
06-23-2016, 02:36 PM
solid deal both ways. But if im Indy im making a hard push for Noah or preferably Horford and use Thad as the super sub he is. that or maybe target Beal and move Ellis to 6th man

FOXHOUND
06-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Teague/Stuckey
Bazemore/Ellis
George/Miles
Turner/Allen
Mahinimi

Plus a room exception? That looks pretty good to me.

You're missing Thaddeus Young. ;)

If they think Turner is ready for full on C or don't want to pay Mahinmi, they can renounce him and have close to $20M to go after someone or a couple of players.

aman_13
06-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Turner is ready to start. I really like him, i think he's poised to breakout next yr

They have a nice team.

celticsman2009
06-23-2016, 03:00 PM
This move is great for the Celtics.

IndyRealist
06-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Do you see Bird going as "all in" as he can. I could see him making a real run at Horford and it's an intriguing idea. Him and Turner would be a very offensively versatile front court. Looking at your cap situation you'd be able to offer him close to the max after this deal. Maybe you trade Stuckey or Miles to free up the cap room to but that leaves your depth shaky.

There are at least half a dozen players I'd rather have with the 20th pick, on rookie contracts, vs Young at $14m.

ombada
06-23-2016, 03:26 PM
There are at least half a dozen players I'd rather have with the 20th pick, on rookie contracts, vs Young at $14m.

his cap hit is about 12 even this year.

BKLYNpigeon
06-23-2016, 03:28 PM
his cap hit is about 12 even this year.

plus a 3 million trade kicker. lol.

R. Johnson#3
06-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Bird has made 2 great trades. Teague is an upgrade over Hill and Thad is definitely worth more than 20th overall. Way to capitalize on a team desperate for picks.

ombada
06-23-2016, 03:41 PM
plus a 3 million trade kicker. lol.

oh damn, i forgot about that.

Hawkeye15
06-23-2016, 03:46 PM
I think IND is building a very solid team that can compete for #3 in the East. Maybe even #2.

One worry would be that I think they're locking themselves into a lot of "meh" players if they extend Teague. Ellis/Teague/Young would take up all their cap around PG and I'm not sure they have a secondary star there. They'd be shutting themselves out of FA so Myles Turner needs to be that guy for them if they want to get to a championship level IMO.

Yeah, I think they are painting themselves into a corner as a very good team, won't contend.

IndyRealist
06-23-2016, 04:29 PM
oh damn, i forgot about that.

On the rookie scale the 20th pick is going to make like $10m over 4 years. Young is going to make like $45m over the next 3.

Let me ask this. Why do people like Thaddeus Young? He's a tweener, shoots lots of long 2s because he can't shoot 3s, and has exactly one above average rebounding season in nine (and that was next to Brook Lopez, so....). He seems to be a decent man defender, but he's not a rim protector. Yet he seems universally loved here on PSD. Everything about him SCREAMS overpaid, limited impact. And we gave up cheap, high potential manpower.

North Yorker
06-23-2016, 04:32 PM
On the rookie scale the 20th pick is going to make like $10m over 4 years. Young is going to make like $45m over the next 3.

Let me ask this. Why do people like Thaddeus Young? He's a tweener, shoots lots of long 2s because he can't shoot 3s, and has exactly one above average rebounding season in nine (and that was next to Brook Lopez, so....). He seems to be a decent man defender, but he's not a rim protector. Yet he seems universally loved here on PSD. Everything about him SCREAMS overpaid, limited impact. And we gave up cheap, high potential manpower.

He's definitely overrated on here. And there's a reason why he yielded a similar return to Tim Haraway Jr. and Greivis Vasquez.

FOXHOUND
06-23-2016, 04:33 PM

He's a solid two-way player who rebounds his position reasonably well for small ball PF. In a market where guys like Harrison Barnes will be getting $16-20M, his salary is just fine. He's way more valuable for a playoff team looking for a specific small ball PF than a random 20th overall pick who you just hope can be a rotation player on average.

This was a nice move, you'll like it.

IndyRealist
06-23-2016, 04:36 PM
He's a solid two-way player who rebounds his position reasonably well for small ball PF. In a market where guys like Harrison Barnes will be getting $16-20M, his salary is just fine. He's way more valuable for a playoff team looking for a specific small ball PF than a random 20th overall pick who you just hope can be a rotation player on average.

This was a nice move, you'll like it.
That's a decent answer. I'm still not buying, though. I'll take the rookie that could end up being a decent player, vs a guy I know is just ok, for 3x as much.

FOXHOUND
06-23-2016, 04:43 PM
That's a decent answer. I'm still not buying, though. I'll take the rookie that could end up being a decent player, vs a guy I know is just ok, for 3x as much.

Fair enough, but by the odds of history if the 20th overall pick becomes as good as Thaddeus Young then it's a very successful pick.

DboneG
06-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Pacers have made a couple nice moves to get Thad and Teague

Agreed!

IndyRealist
06-24-2016, 08:32 AM
Now that I see almost all of my choices went before #20, I don't necessarily hate Young anymore. Still would rather have Brice Johnson regardless.

Chronz
06-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Now that I see almost all of my choices went before #20, I don't necessarily hate Young anymore. Still would rather have Brice Johnson regardless.

Did you watch him much, I was pleasantly surprised to see he was a senior, maybe Doc will play him since hes not really young. The guys at the draft always make these players sound awesome so I have no idea what to expect. I saw that Carl Landry approved of the pic, which I found random but come to think about it, they have similarities, I think Landry led the nation in rebound rate. If you're gonna stay in school that long you better dominate the kids and apparently Brice had the highest PER in the nation, IIRC so did Landry.

I havent seen your list of choices but what makes Brice stand out for you?

Gibby23
06-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Did you watch him much, I was pleasantly surprised to see he was a senior, maybe Doc will play him since hes not really young. The guys at the draft always make these players sound awesome so I have no idea what to expect. I saw that Carl Landry approved of the pic, which I found random but come to think about it, they have similarities, I think Landry led the nation in rebound rate. If you're gonna stay in school that long you better dominate the kids and apparently Brice had the highest PER in the nation, IIRC so did Landry.

I watched Brice alot, I wanted him if he fell to 32. He rebounds, can guard multiple position, good at rim running, can finish around the rim, good hops and has a quick 2nd jump, nice mid range shot and should be able to extend range because he has a nice stroke. He reminds me a a taller Marion.

Sadds The Gr8
06-24-2016, 02:35 PM

he's basically the typical NBA 3rd big. energetic, athletic, lanky etc...

good off. rebounder, shot blocker, and finisher at the rim. he should be a great fit with CP3. don't expect him to create his own offense tho. Think a lankier Faried that can block shots.

Chronz
06-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Sounds ****ing awesome as a 3rd big. A perfect contrast between Blake and Aldrich.

Im guessing hes a **** defender too

Gibby23
06-24-2016, 03:46 PM
Sounds ****ing awesome as a 3rd big. A perfect contrast between Blake and Aldrich.

Good defensively has the tools to be great defensively. And you guy plug him in at center when teams go hack a jordan and this kid can hit free throws. He is ready to play right now.

IndyRealist
06-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Remember that you have to temper expectations with the fact that he's a late 20s pick, not a lottery pick. 8 PFs were picked before him. He's especially reliant on being a freak athlete.

Gibby23
06-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Remember that you have to temper expectations with the fact that he's a late 20s pick, not a lottery pick. 8 PFs were picked before him. He's especially reliant on being a freak athlete.
Thats true, but he is probably most NBA ready out of all the PF's that went before him and his defense is better than all of them as well.

eDush
06-26-2016, 06:25 PM
One of the reason he sign with Indy is his insurance he remain a starter or they MUST trade him to a team hat will. Monta is not 6th man material and is somewhat high maintenance. Bazemore will remain a Hawk and not piss off Monta by taking his starting gig considering he was our bench cheerleader when Monta was here, trust me :nod:.

Sadds The Gr8
06-26-2016, 07:05 PM

his problem might be that he's the prototypical Center skillset in a PF body, and might not hold up at center (the type of guys being phased outta the league). Kinda like Faried, Julius Randle, etc... without the bulk.

He'll probably get killed defensively his first few yrs but he should block some shots.

Gibby23
06-26-2016, 11:07 PM
his problem might be that he's the prototypical Center skillset in a PF body, and might not hold up at center (the type of guys being phased outta the league). Kinda like Faried, Julius Randle, etc... without the bulk.

He'll probably get killed defensively his first few yrs but he should block some shots.

Have you seen Brice play? He can switch on pick and rolls and has a nice jumper up to 15 feet. His stroke is fine and can probably develop an NBA 3.

He is 6'10.5" in shoes with over a 7' wingspan and a 38 inch vert. In today's NBA he is perfect at the C spot, not sure what you mean by guys like that being phased out when his skill set is comparable to a small ball center but he has the size comparable to alot of prototypical centers but better athletic ability.

Sadds The Gr8
06-26-2016, 11:13 PM
Have you seen Brice play? He can switch on pick and rolls and has a nice jumper up to 15 feet. His stroke is fine and can probably develop an NBA 3.

He is 6'10.5" in shoes with over a 7' wingspan and a 38 inch vert. In today's NBA he is perfect at the C spot, not sure what you mean by guys like that being phased out when his skill set is comparable to a small ball center but he has the size comparable to alot of prototypical centers but better athletic ability.

Obviously or I wouldn't have posted. His biggest weakness is that he's really thin and struggles to defend the post.

Also every scouting report I've read says he struggles in pnr and switching onto quicker guards.

Gibby23
06-26-2016, 11:21 PM
Obviously or I wouldn't have posted. His biggest weakness is that he's really thin and struggles to defend the post.

Also every scouting report I've read says he struggles in pnr and switching onto quicker guards.

He will gain size naturally his 1st few years and the PnR stuff was mostly fundamental mistakes that Doc should be able to fix. He has quick enough feet to switch on PnRs

Sadds The Gr8
06-26-2016, 11:24 PM
He will gain size naturally his 1st few years and the PnR stuff was mostly fundamental mistakes that Doc should be able to fix. He has quick enough feet to switch on PnRs
Maybe on both accounts. He's already 22 but yea, he can get stronger.

He "could" get better at guarding perimeter players but Faried is a good example of quickness not necessarily translating on D. We'll see

Scoots
06-26-2016, 11:46 PM
Ive wanted Young to be a Warrior for years. He keeps moving but to the wrong teams :)

jkghi
06-27-2016, 06:09 AM
This was a smart way to play smaller/faster and get around the fact that George has no interest in playing PF. He's also way better at SF, so win-win.http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/17.gifhttp://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/6.gif
http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/4.gif

Scoots
06-27-2016, 02:58 PM
This was a smart way to play smaller/faster and get around the fact that George has no interest in playing PF. He's also way better at SF, so win-win.http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/17.gifhttp://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/6.gif
http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/4.gif

LeBron, KD, and PG all hate the idea of playing PF. It's the main thing that makes Harrison Barnes valuable to the Warriors. He's a SF who is more than willing to play PF and he can do it at a reasonable level. It's why I wanted Young.

IndyRealist
06-27-2016, 06:03 PM
LeBron, KD, and PG all hate the idea of playing PF. It's the main thing that makes Harrison Barnes valuable to the Warriors. He's a SF who is more than willing to play PF and he can do it at a reasonable level. It's why I wanted Young.

Really KD and PG aren't built to play PF. CJ Miles ended up playing PF for us last year and missed a lot of games due to various injuries.