PDA

View Full Version : Will Justin Holiday prove to be the best piece in the Rose Trade?

JasonJohnHorn
06-22-2016, 11:51 PM
I have to admit that I haven't actually seen Holiday play, but while scouring over the box scores this season, I noticed a few impressive games. By 26, most players are in their prime, but some guys are late bloomers. Justin Holiday may be one of those guys. In 27 games with the Bulls, he managed to shoot over .400 from beyond the arc, while posting some solid all-around per36 numbers: 4.4 boards, 3.2 assists, and only 1.8 turnovers, all pretty good for a guard.

It is doubtful Holiday will ever prove to be an All-Star calibre player, but he could be a key rotation/role player if he maintains or improves upon his performance last year. Rose, despite a healthy season, was unable to return to form, and like Penny and Hill and others who have seen HOF careers spoiled by injury, it seems doubtful that he will return to form. If that is the case, and Rose's salary becomes caps space to lure another free agent into the Big Apple in 2017, Holiday may end up proving to be a diamond in the rough the proves to be the best value in the trade.

Thoughts? Who has gotten to see this guy play? What is his defense like? Has he really improved that much, or what is a system that helped him look so good?

Shammyguy3
06-23-2016, 12:00 AM
I have to admit that I haven't actually seen Holiday play, but while scouring over the box scores this season, I noticed a few impressive games. By 26, most players are in their prime, but some guys are late bloomers. Justin Holiday may be one of those guys. In 27 games with the Bulls, he managed to shoot over .400 from beyond the arc, while posting some solid all-around per36 numbers: 4.4 boards, 3.2 assists, and only 1.8 turnovers, all pretty good for a guard.

It is doubtful Holiday will ever prove to be an All-Star calibre player, but he could be a key rotation/role player if he maintains or improves upon his performance last year. Rose, despite a healthy season, was unable to return to form, and like Penny and Hill and others who have seen HOF careers spoiled by injury, it seems doubtful that he will return to form. If that is the case, and Rose's salary becomes caps space to lure another free agent into the Big Apple in 2017, Holiday may end up proving to be a diamond in the rough the proves to be the best value in the trade.

Thoughts? Who has gotten to see this guy play? What is his defense like? Has he really improved that much, or what is a system that helped him look so good?

This is a ridiculous thread, first off. RoLo is by far the best piece in the trade, and Grant has a much better chance of being a bench contributor than Holiday.

Holiday is a good defender, yes. He hustles. But, you're basing his shooting off of a ridiculously small sample size (26/60). Even with that, his offensive efficiency was pedestrian at best. His assist rate only 13.2%, tov rate actually 0.3% higher

FOXHOUND
06-23-2016, 01:45 AM
I have to admit that I haven't actually seen Holiday play

:laugh2:

Hell of a way to start this thread, dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulls_fan90
06-23-2016, 04:16 AM
lol really?

IndyRealist
06-23-2016, 07:42 AM
It's Robin Lopez by a mile, then Jerian Grant.

thapastime7
06-23-2016, 09:13 AM
It's Robin Lopez by a mile, then Jerian Grant.

Ill take 1 year of Rose on a contract year, potential cap space if he is not signed. It opens a spot for Hernangomes teamate of KP in spain > 4 years of Rolo with KP in the wings and the obsession with Jerian Grant.

You take Rose let him ball out it can only help the knicks. If he gets hurt team doesnt do well you have 20 million coming off and not to mention we have our first Rounder. Next year class has westbrook, i think CP3 and others to spend the cap.

If he is great and they have one more free agent signing possible top 4 seed. You have a point guard that does everything we wanted from a PG. only 27 more like 30 on his body but still.
Sign him to less then max.

DboneG
06-23-2016, 09:57 AM
"RoLo is by far the best piece in the trade, and Grant has a much better chance of being a bench contributor than Holiday."........

I have to agree here. Holiday is a good young player, like a lot of guys he need the minutes. I think he will be a pleasant surprise.

Guys don't count Rose out. MSG will be rocking this year. There's pressure, but, not a lot of pressure on Rose, he has ball-dominate Melo, and KP wanting and getting the ball more.

DboneG
06-23-2016, 09:58 AM
"RoLo is by far the best piece in the trade, and Grant has a much better chance of being a bench contributor than Holiday."........

I have to agree here. Holiday is a good young player, like a lot of guys he need the minutes. I think he will be a pleasant surprise.

Guys don't count Rose out. MSG will be rocking this year. There's pressure, but, not a lot of pressure on Rose, he has ball-dominate Melo, and KP wanting and getting the ball more.

Captain Moroni
06-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Rolo is an average NBA center. A step down from Noah. Don't kid yourselves.
I'm not counting on DRose to be an allstar, not even close, but stop being so butt hurt about this and admit that it scares you to death that Rose has the ability to go nuts as a Knick. Second year back after last surgery, only 27 in a contract year on the worlds biggest stage. Could go horribly bad, could also be an awesome comeback. Wait and see.

jerellh528
06-23-2016, 11:12 AM
You can tell it's a Jasonjohnhorn thread without even looking at the name lol

shep33
06-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Lopez by a mile.

Rose had the 7th highest PER on a non-playoff Bulls team.

JasonJohnHorn
06-23-2016, 11:22 AM
:laugh2:

Hell of a way to start this thread, dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm asking, because I haven't seen him play. I'm curious what other people think.

Is there a problem with being forthcoming about the limitations of my perspective on the issue?

ChI_ShIzzLe
06-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Lopez, a starting NBA center singed for 3 years at $13mil per with the salary cap and contracts rocket launching next year? I'll take that all day. We got a guy who's been extremely durable thus far in his career and can hold down a major defensive position. Our downfall began after Noah was lost for the season and we just couldn't stop anybody. Gasol is slower than a statue. If we do keep Butler, we'll have some cap space to play with next offseason with multiple guys coming off the books.

JasonJohnHorn
06-23-2016, 11:24 AM
You can tell it's a Jasonjohnhorn thread without even looking at the name lol

You always manage to say something, and yet so seldom seem to make a contribution to the conversation.

JasonJohnHorn
06-23-2016, 11:26 AM
This is a ridiculous thread, first off. RoLo is by far the best piece in the trade, and Grant has a much better chance of being a bench contributor than Holiday.

Holiday is a good defender, yes. He hustles. But, you're basing his shooting off of a ridiculously small sample size (26/60). Even with that, his offensive efficiency was pedestrian at best. His assist rate only 13.2%, tov rate actually 0.3% higher

I realize this was a small sample size. I say as much in my post, noting that this is base don 27 games with Chicago. I haven't had a chance to watch him play, but his stat line in Chicago look pretty impressive, so I'm soliciting input from Bulls fans or others that have had the chance to watch him play.

Heediot
06-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Phil is on the hot seat, so he needs to make the playoffs next year or else he will be forced to resign. Getting Rose may or may not help, but Rose and a FA big man (and maybe even another FA) is a good risk to take on Phil's part to buy him more time with the organization. They should make the playoffs next year if they play their FA cards right.

Oops wrong thread, this was supposed to be typed into the actual trade thread. But whatever.

I think Rose will prove to be the best piece next year as he should have a good contract year and he will play in a system that inflates PG stats.