PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Warriors can replicate the 73 win season again?

HandsOnTheWheel
06-21-2016, 02:44 AM
Teams usually come off Finals losses with a chip on their shoulder. Is it a different case with the Warriors because of winning a record # of games this past year? Do you think in the next 5-10 years they can potentially replicate their success and win 73 or more games? Or will their record fluctuate below 73 for a number of seasons?

asandhu23
06-21-2016, 02:51 AM
no. They aren't going to go for it again.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-21-2016, 03:03 AM
no. They aren't going to go for it again.

Why wouldn't they? Because they lost a Finals series they should have won?

This season would be considered close to perfection had they won the championship. Now people know it in history as the season they won 73 games and choked in the Finals.

If your team is capable of winning 73 games and a favorite to win the title, wouldn't you want them to go all in and try to go for perfection? I wouldn't lower the standards of my team just because of rest? They're a young bunch.

Rush
06-21-2016, 03:22 AM
Nope. It's just something so extremely hard to replicate. Everything has to lineup perfectly. Things happen, injuries may be a bigger factor, there could be regression, bad luck, etc. Obviously only two teams have won more than 70 games in NBA history and it's just very unlikely for it to happen again.

LOb0
06-21-2016, 03:45 AM
No, and they won't try. They'll rest players if they have to this run.

asandhu23
06-21-2016, 04:25 AM
Why wouldn't they? Because they lost a Finals series they should have won?

This season would be considered close to perfection had they won the championship. Now people know it in history as the season they won 73 games and choked in the Finals.

If your team is capable of winning 73 games and a favorite to win the title, wouldn't you want them to go all in and try to go for perfection? I wouldn't lower the standards of my team just because of rest? They're a young bunch.

1. Going for 73 wins takes a lot out of a team. Doing it two years in a row is mental.
2. Starting Center Bogut is injured and might not recover well considering his injury history. Varejao might retire. I doubt Ezeli is good enough to be a starting center. Big hole there.
3. Big hole at SF. Harrison Barnes will be reevaluated considering he was horrible in the playoffs and was demanding a bigger contract earlier in the year. Lacobs are probably not happy with him.
4. Warriors will go for 50 win season instead. Rest up, give the bench players playing time.

nastynice
06-21-2016, 04:42 AM
Not a chance. Starting off 24(? Or whatever)-0, getting 73 wins, this **** took a toll on us. We're not even an established team and weren't prepared to handle it. Not a chance we even try to chase it, at least a no time in the near future. If we become certified dynasty then maybe, but that is SO many steps away from us, so at this point in time I will just go with no. Plus all the other **** I just wrote.

hidalgo
06-21-2016, 05:42 AM
i just love it that they can't be compaired to the 1996 Bulls anymore. they should stay far away from the record. messing with the Bulls is messing with dark powers. nothing good will come of it

Hawkeye15
06-21-2016, 10:10 AM
no way. They won't even try. Next year will be all about making sure they are ready for a title run come playoff time. They have a great roster, but still need some players who can handle the physicality, and size in certain matchups. I would expect them to address that this summer.

Forever35
06-21-2016, 11:00 AM
I say they don't win another championship, let alone a 73 game winning season...

R. Johnson#3
06-21-2016, 11:02 AM
There's no trophy for the regular season and considering they already did it once, they won't be aiming for it again.

JasonJohnHorn
06-21-2016, 11:14 AM
If they sign KD, and is noah should happen to get on board... they won't have a choice in the matter so long as they are healthy. That will be an unbeatable team.

FlashBolt
06-21-2016, 11:33 AM
I think the Warriors were the only team who truly cared about the regular season. When I look at most teams, not a single one cared unless they were trying to make it to the playoffs. Regular season has never been more meaningless in terms of what the players are trying to prove. My biggest evidence is just how LeBron plays defense in the playoffs compared to the regular season. Some players just don't care anymore and want to play for the ring.

ManRam
06-21-2016, 12:02 PM
it would be foolish for them not to emulate the spurs, the heat, lebron, etc. and rest up guys and focus on the playoffs. that's literally all that matters now. they cared about the regular season drastically more than any of the contenders, and it's just not necessary any more.

this season kinda encapsulated what's wrong with the NBA. the two teams that most people figured would make the finals did. everything up to that point, once you're in the finals, is all moot. i watched a lot less nba this year for a variety of reasons, and i don't feel like i missed much.

they have 73...there's no reason to care about anything besides getting the #1 seed.

ink
06-21-2016, 01:11 PM
If they want to win championships they have to do what everyone else in this thread seems to be advocating: use the regular season to prepare well and peak for the post season.

I said from November on that they would pay for making the run at 73 games. It wasn't their fault, how do you say no to attaining a record like that if it feels within reach? But having attained the record, there's ZERO incentive to doing it again or bettering it.

Kerr has to know this. There can be no doubt it's a bitter pill to have the reg season record and lose the championship.

FlashBolt
06-21-2016, 01:13 PM
NBA needs to shorten the regular season. Stop the three games in four nights insanity. There weren't as many injuries but you don't need 82 games to figure out who are going to be the teams in the Final Four. If after 60 games you still can't figure things out, you shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
06-21-2016, 01:13 PM
If they want to win championships they have to do what everyone else in this thread seems to be advocating: use the regular season to prepare well and peak for the post season.

I said from November on that they would pay for making the run at 73 games. It wasn't their fault, how do you say no to attaining a record like that if it feels within reach? But having attained the record, there's ZERO incentive to doing it again or bettering it.

Kerr has to know this. There can be no doubt it's a bitter pill to have the reg season record and lose the championship.

What's crazy is nobody even played 35 mpg. Curry sat like 18 fourth quarters. I think the mental focus needed was probably more to blame than the physical one.

FlashBolt
06-21-2016, 01:17 PM
Warriors were the healthiest team all regular season. It wasn't physical but mental. Cavs just wanted it more. Been through the emotional process the entire series. Warriors were all Charlie and the Chocolate factory the entire regular season.

da ThRONe
06-21-2016, 01:19 PM
No. It's very difficult as after so many seasons it's only been done once. Plus I think if they are even clicking enough to get close they'll think championship over RS wins.

Chronz
06-21-2016, 01:20 PM
it would be foolish for them not to emulate the spurs, the heat, lebron, etc. and rest up guys and focus on the playoffs. that's literally all that matters now. they cared about the regular season drastically more than any of the contenders, and it's just not necessary any more.

this season kinda encapsulated what's wrong with the NBA. the two teams that most people figured would make the finals did. everything up to that point, once you're in the finals, is all moot. i watched a lot less nba this year for a variety of reasons, and i don't feel like i missed much.

they have 73...there's no reason to care about anything besides getting the #1 seed.

We really need to cut the games down to about 50ish

CHANGO
06-21-2016, 01:21 PM
The don't want that, after this season they wouldn't want that. I mean, that puts more pressure on them, you can't tell me that they are tough mentally, they felt the pressure and sometimes crumbled.

Hawkeye15
06-21-2016, 02:06 PM

sell that to the owners

Vee-Rex
06-21-2016, 02:11 PM

I'd be cool with 60-65.

ink
06-21-2016, 02:11 PM
What's crazy is nobody even played 35 mpg. Curry sat like 18 fourth quarters. I think the mental focus needed was probably more to blame than the physical one.

Totally agree. I think the 73 win season caused a lot of bad habits to develop. Way too loose, and not mentally tough or sharp enough when it mattered.

da ThRONe
06-21-2016, 02:32 PM
A 60 game season would be perfect. I talked about this before but the NBA would be better off financially creating basketball days. 3 days a week viewer can turn on the TV and know pro hoops are on. Something like Wednesday's, Friday's, and Saturday's with the prime time games Saturday. That means no competing with the NFL, back to back's, and more importantly set days(with so expectations) where every level of fan can turn on their TVs at a certain day and know they can expect to see their teams or the matchup of the week they were waiting on. It'll really allow hardcore fans to shape their schedules around an NBA season.

DboneG
06-21-2016, 10:50 PM
Yes. They could win 73 games again. That Lil' skinny kid will be playing with a chip on his shoulder next year. The training staff (I would luv for that female trainer to rub on my back and shoulder) keep working their magic....no major injuries. But, what since would it make? It's the playoffs that count, they realize that now.
Kerr will reign them in this time if they even got close.

DboneG
06-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Cutting NBA games will never happen...the owners and players will lose too much money. Even the cities will take a hit. Concessioners, revenue would drop all across the board. never happen.

europagnpilgrim
06-22-2016, 12:23 AM
its possible they could challenge it if the pieces come back in place or they maintain a certain upgrade to the possible free agents they lose since they have the core in tact but it will be difficult since I think they will value resting later in the season and not wearing the core key guys out like they did this past season going for that record, Kerr will learn from his old coach Pop and utilize that strategy, it will benefit Curry/Klay a lot, along with the other veterans they retain or go sign in free agency or who know knows they may just go all out again to show the world last year wasn't a fluke since the core is fairly young/primed

its a coin toss but they are built for the regular season in todays nba to a T

They won like 67 games in title run and 73 as runner up, 70 wins wouldn't shock me at all if healthy core plays as many games as this past season, they are regular season lethal/built

tredigs
06-22-2016, 01:10 AM
Totally agree. I think the 73 win season caused a lot of bad habits to develop. Way too loose, and not mentally tough or sharp enough when it mattered.

I'm not sure I buy that, would you have made this statement if the season ended in the WCF's versus OKC? This team was tested by their opponents best hand for 82 games last season, certainly facing a higher grade of competition on average than any team last year (and likely in quite some time). I think their determination to hit the 73 win mark is exactly what DID keep them sharp all season, at least mentally.

What I saw in the 2nd half of the year however was a team that was already starting to play at a lesser level than in the first half, and some of that can very likely be attributed to the mental and physical drain that trying their hardest to win every single game caused them. They saw an opportunity to make history, so they attempted to do it. Now that that history is already theirs, there's no way they are going to attempt that again. Expect a ~60-65 win team in 2017. They'll be phoning it in as every other team does here and there going forward.

Jeffy25
06-22-2016, 02:01 AM

Be prepared to kiss all time records good bye then.

Wouldn't it be better to change the playoff format to make the regular season more valuable then?

DR_1
06-22-2016, 03:05 PM
CAN they? Yes.

Will they want to? I doubt it.

Sly Guy
06-23-2016, 12:45 PM
all the chips have to perfectly align for it to happen. But I also see the Warriors slowing down in the regular season next year to prepare for the playoffs instead of chasing down every possible win.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Does Durant signing change your opinion?

CardinalRed24
07-04-2016, 01:35 PM
I mean, with this kind of talent now, you can't necessarily count them out. If they really tried, I think they would at least come close. But I do not think it is even necessary. After back to back 7 game series vs Oklahoma & Cle, I can't see them going after that record again. BC now they understand more then ever, ALL THAT MATTERS is winning titles. That is what you'll manly be remembered for. And considering Curry [their best player/league MVP] slowed down the way he did, I don't see a point in going all in once again to try and 'one up' last seasons achievment.

asandhu23
07-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Can I revise my statements?