PDA

View Full Version : Would Cavs have won if they played the Thunder or Spurs?

JasonJohnHorn
06-20-2016, 09:18 PM
First off, congrats to the Cavs.

Want to start off be stating this is not a bait thread. The best team in the West came out on top, and the Cavs beat the Warriors fair and square. I'm just curious about what people think about various match-ups, not trying to cheapen the amazing accomplishments of the Cavs this season (kudos to LBJ and especially Kyrie, who I've been critical of: he played like a champ the second half of this series).

So, onto the question.

Would the Cavs have been able to beat the Thunder or Spurs? Would match ups have been as favourable? Would LMA prove too much trouble for Thompson/Love? Would Leonard slow down LBJ? Would Kyrie have burned the SA PG rotation? What of Westy? Would he have torched Kyrie? Would KD have been more efficient than LBJ, or would LBJ have shut him down?

Thoughts?

TheMightyHumph
06-20-2016, 09:25 PM
Maybe

DboneG
06-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Yes they still win as far as I'm concerned. OKC would have been an awesome match up.

Shammyguy3
06-20-2016, 09:31 PM
I think they showed just now that they have the ability to beat every team. I think if you put OKC/CLE/SAS/GSW in a double round robin, any team can come out on top

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-20-2016, 09:37 PM
I don't know and it's pointless to spend time pondering over this.

ink
06-20-2016, 09:53 PM
I think they showed just now that they have the ability to beat every team. I think if you put OKC/CLE/SAS/GSW in a double round robin, any team can come out on top

I agree. I think they're all pretty even.

More-Than-Most
06-20-2016, 10:11 PM
I said it all along... I thought they would beat the thunder in 5 pretty easily but lose to the warriors in 6 because they match up much better against the thunder and lebron owns Durants soul.... as for the spurs I think they would lose to the spurs and that would be their hardest opponent in my opinion... Pop knows how to contain lebron better than anyone else.

nastynice
06-20-2016, 10:36 PM

This. Tho, I don't know what to think of the Spurs. For years we've been waiting for them to age and they just wouldn't, then on the heels of their best reg season and all of a sudden these playoffs they aged all those years in a week! I'm done trying to predict anything to do with Spurs

mngopher35
06-20-2016, 10:39 PM
I thought warriors were the best team in the league and hardest matchup for the cavs so it's hard to say they would lose to the others after that win. Between curry (not 100%), green missing a game, bogut injury you can maybe try to argue my initial thoughts but still.

If Lebron/kyrie play like they did I think they would have beat anyone.

zn23
06-20-2016, 11:14 PM
I believe the Thunder were the best team in the playoffs and they would have hammered the Cavs in 6 with their size. It was a shame the way they choked.

As far as the Spurs go... Tim Duncan looked old and terrible in the playoffs. Same with Ginobili and Parker had mixed performances. Plus they couldn't hit 3's. They'll need to reload.

Thunder 2017 Champs.

Cal827
06-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Thunder, yes. Spurs No. I don't think that the Spurs would have come apart as the Warriors have. The Warriors roster, (though with the title from last year), don't have a ton of playoff experience. Hell, since the 2008 seasons, all they had before the back to back finals appearances, were a 1st round exit, a second round exit, and missed the playoffs for the rest of them :laugh2:

The Spurs have players on their team that have played more finals games than some of the Warriors players have in all playoff series. I don't think that that coaching staff, or the veterans on that team would come apart like that after being up 3-1.

LOb0
06-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Spurs would have beat them, OKC would have lost. Spurs are a terrible match up and play too intelligent.

JasonJohnHorn
06-21-2016, 12:06 AM
I don't know and it's pointless to spend time pondering over this.

I never understand people with comments like this.

1. If it's pointless, why even bother reading + responding.

2. If you think conversations about potential match-ups are pointless, why are you even on a sports forum? This is the premise of sports forums. To discuss the sports you like, and the players, and generally how those players match-up with/compare to other players.

If you really think such conversations are pointless, why even create an account? Are conversations stating what actual outcomes any less pointless? I mean, do we really need to answer the question: could the Cavs beat the Warriors? That has already been answered.

GoferKing_
06-21-2016, 03:33 AM
We will never know. End of story.

IndyRealist
06-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Depends on who Stephen A. picked: https://youtu.be/4r06rvgRLSw

ewing
06-21-2016, 03:45 PM
I said it all along... I thought they would beat the thunder in 5 pretty easily but lose to the warriors in 6 because they match up much better against the thunder and lebron owns Durants soul.... as for the spurs I think they would lose to the spurs and that would be their hardest opponent in my opinion... Pop knows how to contain lebron better than anyone else.

i actually agree with you here. I think they would have beaten OKC but think it is a bit more of a toss up then you. I thought GS was a toss up- which it turned out to be and i think the Cavs lose to SA.