PDA

View Full Version : Did Steve Kerr get away from what made Golden State great?

NetsPaint
06-20-2016, 12:38 PM
I know this wasn't THE reason Golden State wasn't playing nearly as well as they did for most of the regular season, and I forgot or didn't know why Kerr decided to do this, but what happened to using Speights? Did Kerr succumb to pressure in not trusting his bench? Speights played well and hard last night in the brief time he played, but again, since the WCF, didn't play much. Barbosa made a three last night, and shortly after that he didn't play at all, or very briefly if he did. Did Kerr look at Barbosa's age and forget that he's still fast? Are they not good at defense (people who've paid attention to their defense help me out on this). Of course the biggest thing was Curry's play for why they didn't play as nearly as well as they could have, but it seemed like if the team was being coached without as much confidence.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Terrible coach.
1) Varejao being in the game to flop? What the hell?
2) Barbosa was one of their most effective player this series.. actually, probably the most. Yet, saw few minutes.
3) Kerr did a terrible job of getting players more involved when they are hot. Klay was hot, but nope, he just gave Curry the ball as if he was Jordan and stole possessions from players who were on fire. Green was on fire in game 7. They didn't make it a mission to give him the ball more. Instead, relied on Curry to bail him out.

He's a terrible coach. Had zero answers for OKC and Cleveland. Him winning COTY was a disgrace to coaches.

KnicksorBust
06-20-2016, 12:56 PM
I probably blame Kerr and Curry equally for this but Curry should have played the whole second half. I hate that they were still playing around with normal rotations with the season on the line.

lakerfan85
06-20-2016, 12:57 PM
Kerr got out coached big time!!

R. Johnson#3
06-20-2016, 01:08 PM
I probably blame Kerr and Curry equally for this but Curry should have played the whole second half. I hate that they were still playing around with normal rotations with the season on the line.

Curry was a black hole in game 7. Ball movement in the half court offense stopped everytime he set foot on the floor.

MonroeFAN
06-20-2016, 01:12 PM
Terrible coach.
2) Barbosa was one of their most effective player this series.. actually, probably the most. Yet, saw few minutes.
3) Kerr did a terrible job of getting players more involved when they are hot. Klay was hot, but nope, he just gave Curry the ball as if he was Jordan and stole possessions from players who were on fire. Green was on fire in game 7. They didn't make it a mission to give him the ball more. Instead, relied on Curry to bail him out.

He's a terrible coach. Had zero answers for OKC and Cleveland. Him winning COTY was a disgrace to coaches.

lol what? He beat OKC, how did he not have any answers for them? Cleveland didn't even shoot the ball well. Kerr is a damn fine coach, but the shots stopped falling.

koreancabbage
06-20-2016, 01:15 PM
He obviously rigged it so that the team wouldn't be better than the Bulls. Duh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 01:17 PM
lol what? He beat OKC, how did he not have any answers for them? Cleveland didn't even shoot the ball well. Kerr is a damn fine coach, but the shots stopped falling.

We choked hard. It wasn't anything Warriors did differently. Same rotations, everything. We just choked hard and didn't execute the way we did the three wins. We had an issue all season long with finishing games and we just fell back to the solo ISO play. Warriors captivated and I congratulated them for winning. There's no one to blame but yourself for losing 3-1. Rigged or not, losing a 3-1, it's on you.

Jewelz0376
06-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Idk what he was thinking with ezeli either. He was terrible in game 6 and horrible to start game 7. He puts him back in for the start of the 4th and he got destroyed on defense and gave up some offensive rebounds too. I don't blame Kerr for starting him, but he should've never comeback in the game, because the cavs made their run once he was in the game

HandsOnTheWheel
06-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Idk what he was thinking with ezeli either. He was terrible in game 6 and horrible to start game 7. He puts him back in for the start of the 4th and he got destroyed on defense and gave up some offensive rebounds too. I don't blame Kerr for starting him, but he should've never comeback in the game, because the cavs made their run once he was in the game

This. No reason to put Ezeli in down the crucial stretch.

PhillyFaninLA
06-20-2016, 01:41 PM
The Andrew Bogut was more of a factor than anything else the TC listed.

krazylegz
06-20-2016, 01:49 PM
cavs baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHANGO
06-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Kerr made a lot of horrible choices, but leaving Mo on the bench wasn't one, he is horrible defensively and with him on court you either go small without Green or go with him and Green.

You can blame him for:

- not using Livingston and Barbosa more
- for sticking with Barnes too much
- for not calling a timeout when the W's needed one
- for putting Ezeli IN in the 4th quarter when he was THURRIBLE

But not playing Speights IMO wasn't a mistake.

ink
06-20-2016, 03:41 PM

Totally agree. The guy you're responding to made three ridiculous points but the worst was saying that Thompson was hot and should have had the ball. Yeah, 6-17 and 2-10 from three is hot?!!? And that's not even mentioning that he had the worst +/- on the team at -11

GSW is an excellent ball movement jump shooting team. But against D that stifles their passing and with perimeter shooters who are stone cold, the only thing that kept the Warriors IN the game was coaching.

ink
06-20-2016, 03:44 PM
The Andrew Bogut was more of a factor than anything else the TC listed.

Agreed.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 03:49 PM
Totally agree. The guy you're responding to made three ridiculous points but the worst was saying that Thompson was hot and should have had the ball. Yeah, 6-17 and 2-10 from three is hot?!!? And that's not even mentioning that he had the worst +/- on the team at -11

GSW is an excellent ball movement jump shooting team. But against D that stifles their passing and with perimeter shooters who are stone cold, the only thing that kept the Warriors IN the game was coaching.

Three ridiculous points? Well, I guess reading comprehension is not a requirement for moderator applications.

1) Varejao was bad for the Warriors. He was one of their worst +/- player and couldn't do a single thing out there but try and flop every play.

2) Barbosa played very well but was only played in spurts. He should have been out there longer when Curry was clearly struggling and Barbosa was playing timely minutes.

3) When did I say Thompson was playing hot in game 7? Again, reading comprehension is a fundamental tool for progression. I said Klay Thompson was HOT and there was no effort made to give him the basketball. In game 5, Klay was hot those three quarters. In the fourth, Klay only took two shots but Curry took three times more. Glad you are a moderator. Just hope your lack of reading comprehension doesn't cloud your judgement.

ink
06-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Three ridiculous points? Well, I guess reading comprehension is not a requirement for moderator applications.

1) Varejao was bad for the Warriors. He was one of their worst +/- player and couldn't do a single thing out there but try and flop every play.

2) Barbosa played very well but was only played in spurts. He should have been out there longer when Curry was clearly struggling and Barbosa was playing timely minutes.

3) When did I say Thompson was playing hot in game 7? Again, reading comprehension is a fundamental tool for progression. I said Klay Thompson was HOT and there was no effort made to give him the basketball. In game 5, Klay was hot those three quarters. In the fourth, Klay only took two shots but Curry took three times more. Glad you are a moderator. Just hope your lack of reading comprehension doesn't cloud your judgement.

Watch the baiting, debate the points, not the person. The point of the thread was whether Kerr went away from what made GSW great, so I'm answering with that in mind. 1. Bogut was out which meant that Kerr had to go to the next big available at some point, 2. Barbosa has been a bench player and that is what made GSW great, 3. you were not clear about when you thought Thompson was hot. In fact the bad shooting, especially his in this deciding game, was a much bigger factor than coaching.

People generally start to blame the coaching when shots don't fall but with this jump shooting team when shots don't fall it has a bigger impact than on any other team. The Cavs played them perfectly and caused their game to completely fall apart. No in-game decision making can counter that. The suggestions I see in this thread would absolutely not be difference makers.

Gibby23
06-20-2016, 04:20 PM

Not really, the only thing that kept them in the game was the 15 3 pointers hit compared to 6 for the Cavs. Great coach, but he or the team didn't adjust to the overly aggressive defense on the 3's, could have turned those into shot fakes and easier 2 point attempts. They shot wat to many contested 3's late and they were already shooting a poor % and it cost them.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Watch the baiting, debate the points, not the person. The point of the thread was whether Kerr went away from what made GSW great, so I'm answering with that in mind. 1. Bogut was out which meant that Kerr had to go to the next big available at some point, 2. Barbosa has been a bench player and that is what made GSW great, 3. you were not clear about when you thought Thompson was hot. In fact the bad shooting, especially his in this deciding game, was a much bigger factor than coaching.

People generally start to blame the coaching when shots don't fall but with this jump shooting team when shots don't fall it has a bigger impact than on any other team. The Cavs played them perfectly and caused their game to completely fall apart. No in-game decision making can counter that. The suggestions I see in this thread would absolutely not be difference makers.

You're just beating around the bush here. Debate the points but you didn't initially do that. I answered in the best way I could: Kerr didn't do anything. He was a terrible coach and I knew he would be exposed for it as soon as the Warriors faced adversity.

1) Playing Varejao was a mistake. I don't care what needs to be said about it. It's their fault for playing small and then getting beat down by it and they try to play big again. Saying he was their only option is complete bull. He did nothing for them the entire series. If anything, he gave the Cavs momentum. Tough to say but it looked like Varejao was secretly hoping the Cavs would win.
2) Again, see. Barbosa was a bench player but he played well. These matchups matter. Cleveland played Mo Williams and Jones for a few minutes to throw the other players off. Barbosa was a huge boost for them all series and saw 4 minutes in game 7? Instead, they stick Harrison Barnes there for 30 minutes? That's bad coaching.
3) So why did you go to game 7 for Klay if you didn't know which game I was referring to? Don't blame lack of reading as an excuse. Klay was hot in game 5 and got two shots in the fourth. That's inexcusable and bad coaching. Kerr should have pulled the plug on Curry and found other ways to get guys involved after it was clearly not working the entire series.

I saw zero ability in Kerr's ability to coach. It's great when you have guys who can just jack up shots but overall, he did nothing to get them going in any other area. They should be thankful Cleveland just missed wide open threes the entire first half or else this would have been a blowout.

ink
06-20-2016, 04:30 PM
You're just beating around the bush here. Debate the points but you didn't initially do that. I answered in the best way I could: Kerr didn't do anything. He was a terrible coach and I knew he would be exposed for it as soon as the Warriors faced adversity.

Kerr wasn't exposed, the entire team was. And CLE deserved the win, plain and simple. One team has to lose, it doesn't have to be anyone's fault. And they faced adversity throughout these playoffs, beginning with Curry's injury. They showed incredible resilience to get as far as they did, especially because they were not playing to their ability for most of the post season. They were badly out of synch. I've also said since about November that the 73-9 season would damage their chances at winning a second championship. It's hard for teams to maintain a playing level through everything they went through this year. I'm not at all surprised they lost but it's only one post season. They'll learn from it.

Not really, the only thing that kept them in the game was the 15 3 pointers hit compared to 6 for the Cavs. Great coach, but he or the team didn't adjust to the overly aggressive defense on the 3's, could have turned those into shot fakes and easier 2 point attempts. They shot wat to many contested 3's late and they were already shooting a poor % and it cost them.

It's easy to find the flaws but hard to find the actual solutions when a team is being beaten. Ironically, the thread topic might be the inverse of the actual problem: GSW stuck with what got them here but it didn't work.

Gibby23
06-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Kerr wasn't exposed, the entire team was. And CLE deserved the win, plain and simple. One team has to lose, it doesn't have to be anyone's fault. And they faced adversity throughout these playoffs, beginning with Curry's injury. They showed incredible resilience to get as far as they did, especially because they were not playing to their ability for most of the post season. They were badly out of synch. I've also said since about November that the 73-9 season would damage their chances at winning a second championship. It's hard for teams to maintain a playing level through everything they went through this year. I'm not at all surprised they lost but it's only one post season. They'll learn from it.

It's easy to find the flaws but hard to find the actual solutions when a team is being beaten. Ironically, the thread topic might be the inverse of the actual problem: GSW stuck with what got them here but it didn't work.

When it didn't work for 2 straight games before game 7, you as a coach need to make adjustments going into that game. They thought because they were at home that the shots would fall. They could have gotten a lot better looks if the would have left the 3 point line and drove inside the 3 point line, either an open jumper or caused the Cavs D to get in scramble mode. The Cavs played the 3 point line great and switched great out there. The Warriors didn't make them do anything else.

DboneG
06-20-2016, 04:35 PM
Terrible coach.

I been saying this for too long. I didn't even put him in my top 10 coaches in a previous thread. He's riding coattails. Kerr is getting there, but, he's not good at making adjustments.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 04:36 PM

I agree, but is Kerr not deserving of any blame? He didn't establish himself as a great coach at all. COTY? Are we going to not be critical that he chose to play Barnes 30 minutes? That was a mistake. Even Livingston played bad but he was very comfortable out there in getting the shots he wanted. Yet, he played half the minutes Barnes played. He made zero attempts to get Draymond the ball and relied on Curry to jack up threes. You can say yes, it goes in half the time, bad shots are great shots for Curry, blah blah blah, but that's when a coach has to get in there and try to make adjustments. Simply relying on Curry to make shots when he hasn't done so all series is not great coaching. Even the behind the back pass from Curry. He's just given Curry too much pressure that he can't handle. Curry didn't look comfortable all series. Be it from injury or whatever, Kerr should have adjusted his players in a way to make things easier for Curry.

ink
06-20-2016, 04:37 PM
When it didn't work for 2 straight games before game 7, you as a coach need to make adjustments going into that game.

They thought because they were at home that the shots would fall. They could have gotten a lot better looks if the would have left the 3 point line and drove inside the 3 point line, either an open jumper or caused the Cavs D to get in scramble mode. The Cavs played the 3 point line great and switched great out there. The Warriors didn't make them do anything else.

Like I said, ironically (given the thread title) they stuck with what had gotten them there and it didn't work. Credit CLE for beating them. In another year, the outcome could easily have been different. The Warriors didn't look great for most of the post season ...

Gibby23
06-20-2016, 04:37 PM
Ink is right though. He didn't get away from what made them great, and that ended up costing them.

Gibby23
06-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Like I said, ironically (given the thread title) they stuck with what had gotten them there and it didn't work. Credit CLE for beating them.

Got it. You are right. He didn't change.

ink
06-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Ink is right though. He didn't get away from what made them great, and that ended up costing them.

You and I might both be tempted to believe in the plan that won 73 regular season games too, lol.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 04:41 PM

Yes, but my issue is just on Kerr as a coach. Warriors greatness didn't really require a coach. Anyone could have coached that team to a high win total. It's just Kerr didn't have the adjustments required to beat the Cavs. Again, I always look at Harrison Barnes for this. The dude is clearly not playing well. You can't put him there for 30-40 minutes and expect him to come out with a breakout game. This is why Lue was so underrated and outcoached Kerr. He wasn't afraid to admit that Love wasn't working in some parts and played him in spurts. If he was bad, he took him out and made the adjustments with RJ. Kerr didn't do any of that and it cost them when it looked like the Warriors were just trying to jack up threes.

Gibby23
06-20-2016, 04:42 PM
You and I might both be tempted to believe in the plan that won 73 regular season games too, lol.

True. lol. I thought the Warriors would win and hit shots at home last night before the game.

Gibby23
06-20-2016, 04:43 PM
Yes, but my issue is just on Kerr as a coach. Warriors greatness didn't really require a coach. Anyone could have coached that team to a high win total. It's just Kerr didn't have the adjustments required to beat the Cavs. Again, I always look at Harrison Barnes for this. The dude is clearly not playing well. You can't put him there for 30-40 minutes and expect him to come out with a breakout game. This is why Lue was so underrated and outcoached Kerr. He wasn't afraid to admit that Love wasn't working in some parts and played him in spurts. If he was bad, he took him out and made the adjustments with RJ. Kerr didn't do any of that and it cost them when it looked like the Warriors were just trying to jack up threes.

He made adjustments last year and they won. He made adjustments to the system mark jackson had in place and the Warriors went to a whole another level. So, I really can't agree with your statement.

ink
06-20-2016, 04:44 PM
I agree, but is Kerr not deserving of any blame? He didn't establish himself as a great coach at all. COTY? Are we going to not be critical that he chose to play Barnes 30 minutes? That was a mistake. Even Livingston played bad but he was very comfortable out there in getting the shots he wanted. Yet, he played half the minutes Barnes played. He made zero attempts to get Draymond the ball and relied on Curry to jack up threes. You can say yes, it goes in half the time, bad shots are great shots for Curry, blah blah blah, but that's when a coach has to get in there and try to make adjustments. Simply relying on Curry to make shots when he hasn't done so all series is not great coaching. Even the behind the back pass from Curry. He's just given Curry too much pressure that he can't handle. Curry didn't look comfortable all series. Be it from injury or whatever, Kerr should have adjusted his players in a way to make things easier for Curry.

Good coaches like Kerr lose too, just like good players like Lebron and Curry lose. It happens. We can imagine that the adjustments we think should be made would make a difference but the coach on the other side can adjust too right? Sometimes coaches will give trust to players and get rewarded, other times the players just can't do it. CLE made it incredibly hard for the Warriors to find their game. I believe GSW lost their game long before the finals and could not re-establish it. Sometimes in the face of that kind of struggle, a coach will try to be patient and trust that they'll find it rather than micro managing and making it worse.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Good coaches like Kerr lose too, just like good players like Lebron and Curry lose. It happens. We can imagine that the adjustments we think should be made would make a difference but the coach on the other side can adjust too right? Sometimes coaches will give trust to players and get rewarded, other times the players just can't do it. CLE made it incredibly hard for the Warriors to find their game. I believe GSW lost their game long before the finals and could not re-establish it. Sometimes in the face of that kind of struggle, a coach will try to be patient and trust that they'll find it rather than micro managing and making it worse.

Meh, Idk. I guess we'll have to see what happens next season. Barnes just lost out on a boatload of money. Might work out for the GSW if they want to sign him for less than expected. They need to figure out what to do with their backup centers. Noah should be worth looking at. Maybe Pau Gasol.

DboneG
06-20-2016, 05:00 PM

When a team lose a game between 1-4 points they blame the coach. Kerr horrible at making adjustments on the fly. Meaning: Lue is about to insert a player, Lue calls a time-out, Lue does a hack-a-Bogut, starting to double Curry on the pick and roll, match-ups on the fly(guys switching defensive assignments during the game)Kerr gets all befuddled, don't know what to do, break a clipboard!

nastynice
06-20-2016, 05:08 PM
lol what? He beat OKC, how did he not have any answers for them?

That dudes finally gone off the deep end, lol!!

nastynice
06-20-2016, 05:11 PM
When a team lose a game between 1-4 points they blame the coach. Kerr horrible at making adjustments on the fly. Meaning: Lue is about to insert a player, Lue calls a time-out, Lue does a hack-a-Bogut, starting to double Curry on the pick and roll, match-ups on the fly(guys switching defensive assignments during the game)Kerr gets all befuddled, don't know what to do, break a clipboard!

Call us overrated, call us chokers, call us frauds...but I'll be god damned if you take anything away from what that broken clipboard accomplished!!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-20-2016, 06:11 PM
I think the fact that they didn't have a good big man after Bogut their ultimate downfall.

Redrum187
06-20-2016, 07:20 PM
I think Kerr is a good coach, but his team makes him look better than he might actually be as a coach.

He showed an inability to adjust and make the proper rotations. He didn't hold Curry accountable for his behind-the-back passes in game 7, and half court shots. I know Curry is the God of shooting, but sometimes half court shots are a bad shot, even for Curry.

Having said that, the biggest reason GSW lost is because they were overly confident and LeBron James. He was on a mission to prove he is the greatest basketball player on the planet and NOT Stephen Curry... he proved it.

nastynice
06-20-2016, 08:15 PM
I think the fact that they didn't have a good big man after Bogut their ultimate downfall.

Tbh, Ezeli is pretty legit. He just came up short, but we did have a legit big in the pocket. Stepping into game 7 I didn't think Bogut was gonna be missed as much as he was.

Teeboy1487
06-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Give the Cavs credit. They wanted it more. 50/50 balls went to all of them. They turned up the intensity while Golden State was attempting behind the back passing in the closing minutes of Game 7 in the Finals.

MTar786
06-20-2016, 08:59 PM
These are HUGE issues i had with kerr throughout the playoffs and finals (even when they were up 3-1)

. the biggest mstake was riding ur players for that 73. By march they were so gassed out.. they were losing to the lakers lol. seriously the last 15 games of the season were so ugly for the warriors. But thats not all kerrs fault so il leave it out.

here are some bullet points i took notice of for kerr

. not enough barbosa or livingston.. not just finals but playoffs. i was really surprised by the no barbosa

. using varajeo like he was some sort of secret weapon. speights showed up this year.. he needed the minutes especially against the cavs after bogut went down

. Not good at all with his time outs. I noticed on 6 or 7 different occasions where his time out usage was extremely horrible (use of time outs are really important in general but i think theyre even more important with a shooting team because of the streakiness

. Ever since kerr came back the warriors werent the same. he turned them into a very predictable jump shooting team that wasnt defensive minded anymore. How obvious was it that the warriors were going to attempt a 3 every single play almost during the finals? If ur going to shoot 3's all the time.. u need to have some good rebounding and some good defenders to get u some fast breaks off steals.

. during the season, to go with the 3 point shooting i saw a slashing team that scored a lot on the fastbreak too... but I didnt see any of that the last 15 games of the season and at all in the playoffs.. by the time they got to the finals. they were just a 3 point shooting team. weapon one being curry and weapon 2 being klay. Their slashing was like a thing of the past. its like they didnt even want to focu on that type of game. hence the no barbosa?? then i notice whenevr they wanted to focus on slashing they would completely abandon their 3 point shooting. like they were one dimensional for some weird reason. (the abandoning of the 3 happened in one of their losses vs the thunder i think game 4 during the final minutes.. but i could be wrong about which game.)

Now here are some things that were huge BUT were not in kerrs control.

1. curry not playing like a super star (thats on curry, he did not deserve anything in the playoffs this year.)

2. greens bogus suspension

3. bogut going out. Its a big deal when hes ur only big lol

4. Curry getting fouled out in game 6, (thats on curry again even if the refs were gifting the cavs.. when u have 5 fould and u know the refs want u out of the game.. u just stop playig defense.. whateer it takes to keep u in. theres only 4 mins left and they need YOU more than a steal. let green or iggy do those.

5. warriors looked lost and didnt have any toughness as a team at all without their enforcer green. he really is their leader and it seems they rely way much more on him than i ever thought.. and i mean that in a mental way

JasonJohnHorn
06-21-2016, 11:25 AM
I felt like he was trying to get the players to stay with the program. But when you get on the court and you are down by three, you push a three to tie, and you forget the ball movement that got you to where you are.

This happened in the OKC series.... I remember Draymond Green actually saying in the post-game interview that Kerr was encouraging them to stop it with the hero ball and get back to moving the ball around and do what they had been doing that made them so good.

I wonder if Luke was running the show if this would have turned out different. He seemed really good at keeping the unit focused. But it is a different story in the playoffs. People's nerves change how they approach the game.

JasonJohnHorn
06-21-2016, 11:29 AM
At then end of the day, this is really on Curry, Klay, and Dray.

Draymond should not have been in a position to get suspended for a flagrant foul. That's on him for getting so many flagrants leading into the series.

As for Curry and Klay, had they shot 2/3 as well as they did in the regular season, this would have been a 5 game series. If Curry had taken care of the ball they way he did all season, this series would likely have been only 5 or 6 games.

Yes... Kerr, as the coach, needs to take ownership over some of this, but his players do to.

PhillyFaninLA
06-22-2016, 05:53 AM
2. greens bogus suspension

Sorry I don't typically delete things when I quote but I only wanted to comment on this particular point and nothing in context changes by only having this here.

If Green didn't do the things he was doing against OKC then he probably doesn't get this suspension. I don't doubt the league gave him or the team a warning and it wasn't reported. That could have happened.

If Green got suspended against OKC (which you can make a case saying he should have) then they probably don't come back from 3 - 1 down against them.

If you want to make the case that the suspension cost the Warriors a title, then fine, but acknowledge that his actions that where worse against OKC and the league not suspending him then allowed the Warriors to come back in that series.