PDA

View Full Version : How overrated is the regular season?

ewing
06-20-2016, 12:17 AM
I've always thought once if you win 55 games you are probably legit. now go win some series. some teams are legit even with 50. After seeing the Spurs and Warriors fall after great regular seasons do you think regular season success is overrated?

DaBear
06-20-2016, 12:18 AM
87-13 ain't overrated

ewing
06-20-2016, 12:19 AM
87-13 ain't overrated

What does that mean?

Redrum187
06-20-2016, 12:23 AM
87-13 ain't overrated

It isn't, I agree. What Golden State was able to accomplish was quite remarkable.

This just makes LeBron James' accomplishment that much significant in that he was able to to beat them, down 3-1.

ManRam
06-20-2016, 12:25 AM
edit: i should have read the post. i misinterpreted your thread. is regular season success overrated? no. not at all

unedited post:

ewing, brace yourself. we agree.

i didn't watch much basketball this regular season. didn't have time, didn't care much. the warriors kept it interesting but i don't like them all that much so i wasn't too sucked into it. besides that? we knew there were 3 teams, maybe a 4th in OKC, and the rest didn't matter. it felt like a waste of time.

this was the finals we all expected...and expected from the get go. i don't feel like i missed out on anything because it ended where i figured and i watched that ending.

parity is always going to be an issue in the nba. fewer players contribute, stars have a much greater impact, etc. it's ALWAYS been an issue...don't think this is unique.

CHANGO
06-20-2016, 12:31 AM
RS is not overrated. Just because an upset happened doesn't mean that the RS and the W's are a fraud.

8 out of 10 times probably the W's would have won against the Cavs. Upset happens.

DaBear
06-20-2016, 12:33 AM
87-13 ain't overrated

It isn't, I agree. What Golden State was able to accomplish was quite remarkable.

This just makes LeBron James' accomplishment that much significant in that he was able to to beat them, down 3-1.

I wasn't referring to GS

flea
06-20-2016, 12:37 AM
NBA regular season is an 82 game exhibition. That statement has been true for years, it's only gotten more true in recent years.

DaBear
06-20-2016, 12:39 AM
It's overrated in the sense that it automatically makes you the best ever, but I don't think winning 70+ is overrated in itself. There's a reason why only two teams could do it.

ewing
06-20-2016, 12:40 AM
RS is not overrated. Just because an upset happened doesn't mean that the RS and the W's are a fraud.

8 out of 10 times probably the W's would have won against the Cavs. Upset happens.

they weren't a fraud. GS is a legit championship level team. they just aren't the best or most dominate team ever. They are championship level team that had a great regular season. match ups matter, you peak output versus your baseline matters, being able to adapt to different styles matters. GS is legit, there regular season lead people to overrate them though. They were seen as unbeatable unless the Spurs took them out according to 95% of the posters here and they had a lot of trouble with OKC and then lost in the finals. they lost as many game post season as they did rg season.

ewing
06-20-2016, 12:41 AM
NBA regular season is an 82 game exhibition. That statement has been true for years, it's only gotten more true in recent years.

Flea you don't hedge your bets and often you are right.

flea
06-20-2016, 12:46 AM
It's overrated in the sense that it automatically makes you the best ever, but I don't think winning 70+ is overrated in itself. There's a reason why only two teams could do it.

I'll say it's definitely a great team accomplishment. GS won 73 and SA actually had a better adjusted net rating (I believe) so we had 2 "historic" regular season teams in 1 year. Why? Both had extraordinary depth - both short-end depth (your 8 man playoff rotation) and back-end depth (your 12 man roster). I don't think it says anything in particular about those teams' stars that they won so much - much more about how balanced and deep they are. That Spurs team was probably only the 4th or 5th best Spurs team of the last 20 years, for example.

Chronz
06-20-2016, 02:38 AM
Depends, do you hold a team that only lost once in their championship reign in higher regard than MJ's Bulls that won 72 and also won a title but did so in less impressive fashion?

The term overrated is too vague, you can be the best of all time and still be overrated for example. The above question at least answers whether you value the RS at all. Or maybe you dont even care about wins and losses, just your own subjective view on talent, regardless of overall chemistry and stuff...

joedaheights
06-20-2016, 04:09 AM
Consider this... The warrior playoff record? 15-9

The combined playoff record of the 91, 96 and 97 bulls??

45-9

Because ... In the playoffs, when jump shots are madly contested one team had a guy who could take a team right to the front of the rim and make miracles happen .. And the other one, didn't.

R. Johnson#3
06-20-2016, 06:19 AM
The regular season isn't overrated at all. Home court advantage plays a huge role. I learned this as a Raps fan this year. It's definitely something you want.

Sportsguy9695
06-20-2016, 06:31 AM
no way is the regular season over rated but the regular season and the post season are two different animals.

ewing
06-20-2016, 07:01 AM
Depends, do you hold a team that only lost once in their championship reign in higher regard than MJ's Bulls that won 72 and also won a title but did so in less impressive fashion?

The term overrated is too vague, you can be the best of all time and still be overrated for example. The above question at least answers whether you value the RS at all. Or maybe you dont even care about wins and losses, just your own subjective view on talent, regardless of overall chemistry and stuff...

oh you opinion on the who is the best isn't subjective, got it. Btw i think you are referring to the Lakers who won 58 and who i said said i think board long ago were better then this years warriors.

kdspurman
06-20-2016, 07:09 AM
Not nesecarily overrated, but I kept saying it'll mean squat come playoff time, once you get into later rounds or the playoffs. People disagreed, but this isn't the first time something like this has happened

da ThRONe
06-20-2016, 07:40 AM
I guess the real question is what do you mean by overrated? For me I think the regular season has far too many games that reduces the overall value of each game. Thereby creating an attitude among players that each game doesn't matter. Ultimately creating far less competition from week to week. So in that regard I'd say yes the RS is overrated. However if you mean that the RS is overrated as in it isn't a good determining factor in who the superior teams are I'd disagree.

IndyRealist
06-20-2016, 07:47 AM
This seems overly reactionary. The Finals are a small sample size. If Draymond doesn't get suspended or Bogut doesn't get hurt, the 2016 Warriors are the best team of all time. If Kyrie doesn' go down last year....

KnicksorBust
06-20-2016, 08:03 AM
I've always thought once if you win 55 games you are probably legit. now go win some series. some teams are legit even with 50. After seeing the Spurs and Warriors fall after great regular seasons do you think regular season success is overrated?

It's both depending on your perspective.

In terms of media appreciation: Overrated
The Cavs will be remembered as the better team. The final story is always the biggest story.

In terms of predictive value for the postseason: Properly rated
The team with the best record in each conference made the Finals. Yes this was an "upset" but it was a 1 vs 1.

2016 = 1 vs 1
2015 = 1 vs 2
2014 = 1 vs 2
2013 = 1 vs 2

It's not a coincidence that the best regular season teams keep getting to the Finals.

Vince70
06-20-2016, 08:17 AM
It is overrated in every sport.

Golden State just simply peaked too soon and we saw their best basketball in the reg season and honestly they didn't look all that great all postseason. The fact that they were in striking distance of the record hurt them in the end. They didn't have the rest going into this postseason that they did last postseason which may have contributed to them not being as fresh.

Lue did a much better job of managing LeBron's minutes in the second half of the season and throughout the playoffs than Blatt did last year so he would have enough left in the tank to finish the job.

ewing
06-20-2016, 08:27 AM
This seems overly reactionary. The Finals are a small sample size. If Draymond doesn't get suspended or Bogut doesn't get hurt, the 2016 Warriors are the best team of all time. If Kyrie doesn' go down last year....

they were never the best team of all time.

ewing
06-20-2016, 08:29 AM
It's both depending on your perspective.

In terms of media appreciation: Overrated
The Cavs will be remembered as the better team. The final story is always the biggest story.

In terms of predictive value for the postseason: Properly rated
The team with the best record in each conference made the Finals. Yes this was an "upset" but it was a 1 vs 1.

2016 = 1 vs 1
2015 = 1 vs 2
2014 = 1 vs 2
2013 = 1 vs 2

It's not a coincidence that the best regular season teams keep getting to the Finals.

The 2 teams with the best record from each conference did make the finals. thats a good point however all i heard all season was that the Spurs and Warriors were head and shoulders above everyone else and the only series that would matter this post season was when they played in the WCF. This was stated all season like it was fact.

da ThRONe
06-20-2016, 08:41 AM
The 2 teams with the best record from each conference did make the finals. thats a good point however all i heard all season was that the Spurs and Warriors were head and shoulders above everyone else and the only series that would matter this post season was when they played in the WCF. This was stated all season like it was fact.

True, but it wasn't like the Thunder wasn't right on both teams heels especially leading up to the playoffs.

ewing
06-20-2016, 08:52 AM
True, but it wasn't like the Thunder wasn't right on both teams heels especially leading up to the playoffs.

No it was like that according to most and the playoff results haven't seemed to change there minds at all. there was a billion page thread on here where the majority of posters said the Cavs didn't even have the talent to hang with the Warriors

da ThRONe
06-20-2016, 09:17 AM
No it was like that according to most and the playoff results haven't seemed to change there minds at all. there was a billion page thread on here where the majority of posters said the Cavs didn't even have the talent to hang with the Warriors

Even if that's the case(which I'm not saying it isn't) people were wrong it happens. I actually picked the Cavs to win it all just due to how much I knew these Finals matter to Lebron and he basically gave up on chasing regular season MVP for rings. But there was a time when it did look like Spurs Warriors WCF would be de facto Finals. A lot of the hype is media driven so that should always be taken with a grain of salt. The wild card was always Irving and he showed up in the Finals where he was missing during the beginning of season and and all last year Finals.

So in conclusion I don't think beinf wrong from time to time makes he regular season overrated.

koreancabbage
06-20-2016, 09:49 AM
you do well in the regular season and you get home court advantage in the playoffs. That the reward and gives your team the mental edge and fan support.

other than that, it means nothing in the playoffs

DaBear
06-20-2016, 10:35 AM

they were never the best team of all time.

That's the point I was making. It's silly to say if they had won game 7 that they're automatically the best ever. Many argue that the 96 Bulls aren't even the best Bulls team ever, but it's tough arguing against a team that dominated the RS AND postseason.

Vee-Rex
06-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Regular season records, stats, achievements, etc... are not necessarily overrated, IMO.

I just think as fans we tend to read wayyyy too much into it. I mean, just 2-3 months ago everyone was declaring GS nearly unbeatable, and the only team they gave a chance against them was the Spurs. In the playoffs, teams game-plan and tighten up on defense, and refs allow more contact, which makes it a tiny bit harder for GS to run their sets and for Steph to dominate.

For as much criticism as my Cavs got in the regular season, I always felt we didn't turn it up a notch because we wanted to ensure we were healthy. Only 57 wins, but context is everything. If the Cavs played all their regular season games the same way they played in the playoffs, I think we'd have been a 65+ win team.

While GS deserved the praise they got, we deified them to an inhuman level and that's where we misinterpreted the regular season. Sometimes, there are multiple championship-level teams in the same season and GS is definitely one - things just didn't go their way in the finals, and some of that credit goes to the Cavs.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Very simple: It's overrated if you're the best team in the regular season and don't win.

ewing
06-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Regular season records, stats, achievements, etc... are not necessarily overrated, IMO.

I just think as fans we tend to read wayyyy too much into it. I mean, just 2-3 months ago everyone was declaring GS nearly unbeatable, and the only team they gave a chance against them was the Spurs. In the playoffs, teams game-plan and tighten up on defense, and refs allow more contact, which makes it a tiny bit harder for GS to run their sets and for Steph to dominate.

For as much criticism as my Cavs got in the regular season, I always felt we didn't turn it up a notch because we wanted to ensure we were healthy. Only 57 wins, but context is everything. If the Cavs played all their regular season games the same way they played in the playoffs, I think we'd have been a 65+ win team.

While GS deserved the praise they got, we deified them to an inhuman level and that's where we misinterpreted the regular season. Sometimes, there are multiple championship-level teams in the same season and GS is definitely one - things just didn't go their way in the finals, and some of that credit goes to the Cavs.

well put and congrats to your team

Gibby23
06-20-2016, 11:57 AM
It isn't overrated. Home court has always played a huge role. Sure teams sometimes lose when they don't have home court, but if you look back at history I bet having home court gives you over a 60% probably more shot of winning the series.

ManRam
06-20-2016, 12:27 PM
the regular season is the larger sample size and there's more telling power in a larger sample size than a small one. playoffs insert a lot of random variability because you shrink that sample size down tremendously. to pretend like the regular season is overrated is just silly.

i think the bigger issue here is that the warriors peaked months ago. the cavs peaked now. timing. luck. better individual play during a smaller sample size. that's why the cavs won.

DaBear
06-20-2016, 12:43 PM
the regular season is the larger sample size and there's more telling power in a larger sample size than a small one. playoffs insert a lot of random variability because you shrink that sample size down tremendously. to pretend like the regular season is overrated is just silly.

i think the bigger issue here is that the warriors peaked months ago. the cavs peaked now. timing. luck. better individual play during a smaller sample size. that's why the cavs won.

I would have to disagree here. In the postseason, teams tighten up on defense and play their best ball. The RS is more of a marathon and consists of good average and bad teams. It's no coincidence the Warriors lost the same amount of games in the postseason as they did in the RS.

Even if you consider injuries or Draymonds suspension, if the Warriors were to win would anyone really consider their playoff run dominant?

effen5
06-20-2016, 01:11 PM
It's definitely overrated. To some teams, handful of the regular season games don't mean anything. NBA should shorten the season by 20 games to make every game count.