PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry overrated?

GiantsSwaGG
06-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Getting out played, not able to carry his team in the finals. When he missed games in the playoffs the Warriors didn't miss a beat yet when Bogut and Green were out they couldn't win a game. So does this confirmed the fact he's overrated?

HandsOnTheWheel
06-19-2016, 10:43 PM
That's an understatement.

chi-townlove1
Lol close the thread. God this is when I stay clear of NBA forum. All the troll threads come out for about a week after the finals.

koreancabbage
Getting out played, not able to carry his team in the finals. When he missed games in the playoffs the Warriors didn't miss a beat yet when Bogut and Green were out they couldn't win a game. So does this confirmed the fact he's overrated?

That's two years in a row for Steph. Obviously overrated. Iggy last year, Green this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Silver&Black*
06-19-2016, 10:44 PM
No, but he needs to start being benched like everyone else when he takes stupid half court shots. They lost because of shot selection.

kdspurman
06-19-2016, 10:45 PM
Waaaay too much premature talk when he had a great regular season. He's a great offensive player, but some of his defensive issues were exploited in the finals, and some in the WCF.

It's still early in his career, so he'll have plenty of time to fine tune some of the things he's gotta improve on

ewing
06-19-2016, 10:46 PM
yes but he is still a great player.

GiantsSwaGG
06-19-2016, 10:46 PM
Waaaay too much premature talk when he had a great regular season. He's a great offensive player, but some of his defensive issues were exploited in the finals, and some in the WCF.

It's still early in his career, so he'll have plenty of time to fine tune some of the things he's gotta improve on

You described Carmelo Anthony and he's considered overrated which he is

Shammyguy3
06-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Not overrated, just didn't step up this series. If he comes back and wins multiple rings in the next few years, we'll simply look back at this as a learning experience much like most other players that lose multiple times before they make it to the Finals, and then make the Finals and still lose sometimes

lol, please
06-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Curry is actually underrated, he had one bad playoff run and people want to take away from his greatness. Prisoners of the moment.

Raps18-19 Champ
I wasn't expecting an all time performance but he didn't play well either.

GiantsSwaGG
Not overrated, just didn't step up this series. If he comes back and wins multiple rings in the next few years, we'll simply look back at this as a learning experience much like most other players that lose multiple times before they make it to the Finals, and then make the Finals and still lose sometimes

He wasn't even good last year finals, it's crazy how he offers nothing more than scoring. LeBron out classed him this series and Kyrie made him look like he shouldn't be on the court

ewing

his was overrated on this forum. People were using stats to compare him offensively to Jordan all year. He is a great player, the Warriors had no interior game and Cavs did a great job pressuring the perimiter and it exposed his weaknesses. He made mistakes that he probably will learn form but regardless he was overrated my a lot of people

ManRam
06-19-2016, 10:55 PM
as much as i refused to accept the injury excuse as they were happening...let's see how injured he is. i'm sure they'll be open about it now if there is anything real.

overrated? slightly. but slightly still has him as a top-3 player. he didn't have the ability to take over the game UNLESS his shot was falling and he was a turnstile on defense. the cavs were running screens to get him on the guy they wanted to iso with. that's disrespect.

Crackadalic
06-19-2016, 10:56 PM
He looked OK. Just not "I'm in the finals" great.

bklynny67
06-19-2016, 10:59 PM
****ing over reactions all over the place. You guys are ridiculous.

All this proved is that Steph Curry is human, which before this series it was really looking like he wasn't. Get this **** outta here.

lol, please
06-19-2016, 11:00 PM

All this proved is that Steph Curry is human, which before this series it was really looking like he wasn't. Get this **** outta here.

:clap:

More-Than-Most
06-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Had the worst finals ever for an mvp and choked horribly.... still one of the best players in the league but again give me lebron/klay/khawi/westy/durant over him because of how horridly awful his defense is and how 1 dimensional he is when his shot isn't falling.

2 straight finals he has been ****.. not one but 2.... He was medicore to bad in the WCF.... He is a great player but yes he has been overrated. There were so many times in this series the warriors played better when he was benched.

MELO 15
06-19-2016, 11:02 PM
Steph was the reason why GS lost, if anybody disagrees, they haven't been watching $h!t. He played like he didn't give a $h!t. Who does a behind the back pass in a game 7 of an nba finals? Who takes 35-40 foot shots in a nba finals? I understand that he's done it time and time again in the REGULAR season, but this isn't a regular season game, it game 7 of the nba finals! For crying out loud. I'm not even a GS fan, I just didn't want not the Cavs, but JR, Shumper, Mozzy, and Frye to win. But congrats to Cavs fans and Lebron. And for anybody that thinks that Steph is the best player in the game, Smoke something stronger.

Peace!

ManRam
06-19-2016, 11:03 PM

yup. he showed he was human...and the fact that we were unsure speaks to how great he is. but he was neutralized and reverted into something more one-dimensional than what you'd expect. the offense rarely ran through him this series (when dray was playing, at least), which is crazy.

Shammyguy3
06-19-2016, 11:06 PM
Curry is actually underrated, he had one bad playoff run and people want to take away from his greatness. Prisoners of the moment.

No way is he underrated, c'mon. Yes lots of people will become prisoners of the moment here, but Curry is not underrated.

He wasn't even good last year finals, it's crazy how he offers nothing more than scoring. LeBron out classed him this series and Kyrie made him look like he shouldn't be on the court

How is 26/6/5 on a 58.5ts% not GREAT let alone good? That's what he did last year's finals. And he offers far more than "just scoring." He didn't provide that for a 7 game series, **** happens.

his was overrated on this forum. People were using stats to compare him offensively to Jordan all year. He is a great player, the Warriors had no interior game and Cavs did a great job pressuring the perimiter and it exposed his weaknesses. He made mistakes that he probably will learn form but regardless he was overrated my a lot of people

Statistically on offense he IS comparable to Jordan. Defensively he's nowhere near it, and as a competitor he is nowhere near it. I don't think anyone thought of him as a top-10, 15, 20, whatever player of all time. I think they were more likely projecting that for him, which is entirely different

jayjay33
06-19-2016, 11:15 PM
Officially the most over rated player of all time. I even drank the cool aid. Had people thinking he at least had a shot at the "goat" title. Turns out he not even Steve Nash. Lol

GiantsSwaGG
06-19-2016, 11:18 PM
No way is he underrated, c'mon. Yes lots of people will become prisoners of the moment here, but Curry is not underrated.

How is 26/6/5 on a 58.5ts% not GREAT let alone good? That's what he did last year's finals. And he offers far more than "just scoring." He didn't provide that for a 7 game series, **** happens.

Statistically on offense he IS comparable to Jordan. Defensively he's nowhere near it, and as a competitor he is nowhere near it. I don't think anyone thought of him as a top-10, 15, 20, whatever player of all time. I think they were more likely projecting that for him, which is entirely different

Again he's a great offensive player, THATS IT. He didn't even win finals MVP, went to a player coming off the bench, let that sink it. He's a great offensive player but that's all he offers.

zn23
06-19-2016, 11:19 PM
This loss will damage his legacy forever. He'll need to do what LeBron did and win a few more rings before everyone forgets about this.

He played well in only one game, that was game 4. In the close out game he goes 6-19 and just buries his team.

ewing
06-19-2016, 11:20 PM

thats way you have to actually watch games and evaluate skill sets.

Redrum187
06-19-2016, 11:52 PM
Golden State Warrior fans overrate the hell out of Curry.

Non-Golden State Warriors fans rate him accurately.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-20-2016, 12:02 AM
No, Steph just needed better teammates. Its a team game remember. If Stephs teammates played better, they would have won. That's what Ive been told anyways

JLynn943
06-20-2016, 12:03 AM
He's one of the greatest shooters of all time. He routinely takes terrible shots and makes them. I don't think there's anything else especially remarkable about his game, but that's good enough to make him a great player. Any more or any less about him is over or underrating him.

JLynn943
06-20-2016, 12:04 AM
No, Steph just needed better teammates. Its a team game remember. If Stephs teammates played better, they would have won. That's what Ive been told anyways

Maybe if he wasn't on an all-time great type of team with no real weaknesses and players that actually did show up...

beasted86
06-20-2016, 12:06 AM
Completely overrated as far as having the GOAT season for an individual player.

Firefistus
06-20-2016, 12:08 AM
If Steph stays healthy he's one of the best players. That's the problem, he has glass ankles, and I'll be surprised if he has another healthy season. If he does he'll be great, but he's NOT a healthy player. (before someone thinks I'm blaming these playoffs on him being hurt, I'm not. I'm just trying to point out he gets hurt VERY easily)

Hangtime
06-20-2016, 12:08 AM
The guy is a phenomenal shooter. But there are too many instances where he simply wants to shoot that three instead of driving to the rim. That was very evident tonight. And he gets anxious in situations where two defenders run at him and he makes a bad decision with a horrible pass and turns it over. He did it a lot in this series.

I can't really crush the guy because they won it all last year and they had an epic comeback themselves against OKC. I think he is a great player but Cleveland figured him out and played great defense against him. When the 40 ft 3's aint falling he becomes one dimensional a lot.

CHANGO
06-20-2016, 12:11 AM
Overrated in terms of being the best on the past RS? NO. He was the best player until the playoffs started.

Overrated in terms of putting him in the GOAT talk just for hitting some crazy shots? YES.

After this Finals his legacy will take a big hit. People 20 years from now will say "how did the 73-9 team lost against a 57 win team? How did that happen?" Then they are going to see Curry's numbers and will say "he choked" simple as that.

SportsFanatic10
06-20-2016, 12:12 AM
Probably a bit, but people just have a tendency to overreact. When he has monster games some said hes the GOAT, then when he underwhelms all of a sudden he sucks. In actuality he's very very good, I'd say the best player in the league not named Lebron still. So under rate him or overrate him, bottom line is he's currently right up there with the best of the best no matter how public opinions can shift based on small sample sizes.

RowBTrice
06-20-2016, 12:14 AM
He's good but overrated and got exposed in the finals.

ManRam
06-20-2016, 12:16 AM
there were hints of "is this version of curry as good of peak lebron" and if that was something you were saying then yes, you were overrating him. but he is the two-time reigning MVP and deserved both of them. that speaks all that needs to be said.

it's the nuance in how you describe him that may or may not be overrating him, because he's objectively absurdly amazing and was far and away the best player in the regular season. that doesn't change. nor do his MVPs. and it's still impossible to overrate his shooting because there's not anyone close to him. ever.

valade16
06-20-2016, 12:25 AM
He definitely had the best regular season but it was very obvious in the Finals LeBron was the more impactful player.

zn23
06-20-2016, 12:28 AM
Curry had more turnovers than assists in the Finals... also shot a poor percentage.

Really let his team down.

LOb0
06-20-2016, 12:30 AM
He's a top level regular season player. But he hasn't been that great in the playoffs where things become much harder. So yes, he is a bit overrated.

Jayb587
06-20-2016, 12:31 AM
he's overrated. point blank period. there were people on this site calling him the greatest of all time. im not giving him a pass. he was complete garbage. if those 3's aren't falling, he's doing basically nothing on the court. not only is he overrated, his team is overrated, and LeBron just proved that shooting is overrated. there's a reason that the all time great teams don't include primarily jump shooting teams. the warriors have elite chemistry an elite system, and elite depth in an era where that doesn't exist anymore throughout the nba. that's what led to the 73 wins. show me a list of the 10 greatest teams of all time and id take all 10 of them to beat stephs warriors in a 7 game series.

More-Than-Most
06-20-2016, 12:36 AM
He definitely had the best regular season but it was very obvious in the Finals LeBron was the more impactful player.

yo congrats on the modship good buddy :clap:

flea
06-20-2016, 12:39 AM
Depends on how you rated him. Turnover prone guards with no defense and mediocre inside games can only be rated so highly. Still the best shooter maybe ever.

nastynice
06-20-2016, 02:51 AM
He's a top tier player in the league currently, he hasn't put in enough time to be put in all time lists with any accuracy.

Wether that's overrated or underrated, well there's such a variance in how people rate him, that I have no clue. I've heard everything from he's just a shooter to he's a goat candidate

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 03:01 AM
Overrated, HELL YES. Anyone saying no is lying.

Voted unanimous MVP when guys like Jordan/Bron/Shaq never won that way?
You had people saying he was putting up the best season?
Better than MJ ******** stories by Warriors bandwagoners?

He's overrated. Sorry, truth hurts.

Superstar PG with more Turnovers than assists. When has this happened? When has it even happened for a starting PG?
Horrible shooting, terrible decisions. He choked harder than any player. He made 2011 LeBron look like Jordan.

I hope coming into next season, no matter how great Curry plays, people realize that there is more to shooting the ball really well. When Curry couldn't find his shot, he looked like Ricky Rubio without the defense.

naps
06-20-2016, 03:24 AM
It depends. If you thought he took the best player on the planet title from James then yes. He had two incredible regular seasons but in the playoffs he was not as good as his regular season versions. Best player on the planet turns up his game in the playoffs. He hasn't done that. LeBron officially made his case as the best player during that legendary 2007 Detroit series. Ever since he only had one meltdown series, in 2011. Curry is sensational and I expect him to win another MVP next year.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 03:28 AM
It depends. If you thought he took the best player on the planet title from James then yes. He had two incredible regular seasons but in the playoffs he was not as good as his regular season versions. Best player on the planet turns up his game in the playoffs. He hasn't done that. LeBron officially made his case as the best player during that legendary 2007 Detroit series. Ever since he only had one meltdown series, in 2011. Curry is sensational and I expect him to win another MVP next year.

He can win all the MVP's he want. The truth is out there. He becomes the best when he shows up for the Finals. That's his only way. Regular season MVP did nothing for LeBron. The year he won it after Rose robbed him, he said "this is not what I want." Curry better have that same outlook.

nastynice
06-20-2016, 03:29 AM

We'll see about MVP. I think one thing this squad will learn from this year is that you gotta pace ur seasons to be ready for playoffs. That 73 took a pretty big toll on us. This is something lebron already figured out, see how he played this whole year. Hopefully that's the mentality we step with from here forward

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 03:36 AM
For Christ's sake.. the 73 wins didn't take a toll on you. 2 minutes left, tied game, no one scored a basket for God knows how long (Kyrie was the only one who scored a FG the past 20 shots), and guess what happened? The SUPERSTARS stepped up for Cleveland. Curry went MIA. Don't use that ran out of gas excuse. TWO MINUTES LEFT, TIED GAME. If you can't find it within yourself to play those two minutes, you should lose.

jason
06-20-2016, 03:39 AM
Yea he sucks

jason
06-20-2016, 03:40 AM
Overrated in terms of being the best on the past RS? NO. He was the best player until the playoffs started.

Overrated in terms of putting him in the GOAT talk just for hitting some crazy shots? YES.

After this Finals his legacy will take a big hit. People 20 years from now will say "how did the 73-9 team lost against a 57 win team? How did that happen?" Then they are going to see Curry's numbers and will say "he choked" simple as that.

Yup the big game we all kept waiting for never came. :(

Munkeysuit
06-20-2016, 03:41 AM
Curry = what you see is what you get, and he's definitely NOT overrated, I think he might be dealing with an injury issue that he doesn't want to go public about.

nastynice
06-20-2016, 04:19 AM
For Christ's sake.. the 73 wins didn't take a toll on you. 2 minutes left, tied game, no one scored a basket for God knows how long (Kyrie was the only one who scored a FG the past 20 shots), and guess what happened? The SUPERSTARS stepped up for Cleveland. Curry went MIA. Don't use that ran out of gas excuse. TWO MINUTES LEFT, TIED GAME. If you can't find it within yourself to play those two minutes, you should lose.

lol, wtf is wrong with u?? Ur a Warriors hater, the Warriors lost, and ur still angry?? Geez, can we all chip in n get this guy some ***** or something, haha!

I call sloppy seconds tho

nastynice
06-20-2016, 04:20 AM
Curry = what you see is what you get, and he's definitely NOT overrated, I think he might be dealing with an injury issue that he doesn't want to go public about.

He was moving good in those last two games tho. He just played bad

naps
06-20-2016, 04:58 AM
You would think the regular season 73 chase took a toll, then you look at the minutes played you wonder that's not necessarily the case. Warriors are deep as **** and Curry only played 34 mins a game. His backup would start in a lot of teams and the whole team is full of quality backups. I mean they regularly went 10 deep in these playoffs where most teams dont go more than 8 deep.

PurpleJesus
06-20-2016, 05:13 AM
seriously guys..Just appreciate greatness when its in front of your face. Whether it be Kobe, LeBron, or Curry...just appreciate whats in front of your face. Soon you will be old, telling your kids about the days of these guys, wishing you didnt let your hate interfere with your thoughts of these players.

nastynice
06-20-2016, 06:05 AM
seriously guys..Just appreciate greatness when its in front of your face. Whether it be Kobe, LeBron, or Curry...just appreciate whats in front of your face. Soon you will be old, telling your kids about the days of these guys, wishing you didnt let your hate interfere with your thoughts of these players.

Amen brother.

PhillyFaninLA
06-20-2016, 06:07 AM
I think it depends on who you ask. Some people on this site where making Curry out to be an all time player and others where saying he is an amazing shooter but not the most well rounded player. Curry is one of the best players in the game, but he is not an all timer based on the fact that each of the past 2 finals his game took a step down.

R. Johnson#3
06-20-2016, 06:22 AM
He's not overrated, he's inexperienced. Yeah he won a title last year but it was against a depleted Cavs team but still. Last night I saw a great player trying to get fancy with passes and dribble his way away from opponents in a close game. He doesn't know how to play in the big moments yet but he will learn.

Sportsguy9695
06-20-2016, 06:29 AM
how can you say he is overrated have you already forgotten the regular season he had? he had a regular season for the ages and he did it 2 years in a row

Shammyguy3
06-20-2016, 09:50 AM
Again he's a great offensive player, THATS IT. He didn't even win finals MVP, went to a player coming off the bench, let that sink it. He's a great offensive player but that's all he offers.

I don't really care that much about finals MVPs. It was a 6-game sample size, they gave it to Iguodala who guarded Lebron and forced him to have the least efficient series of his career (and that's without Kevin Love, without Irving most of the series). So, because a group of people wanted to give the FMVP to someone not named Stephen Curry that means he's overrated? You know how many people can average the numbers that Stephen Curry put up in the Finals last year? Not many at all. Saying he's a great offensive player, and "that's it" sure, you could argue that. But what do you really mean by that? Are you saying he's like James Harden defensively? Because he's not. Are you saying, he's a terrible rebounder? Because he's not. He's a historically great scorer, with average overall defense, plus rebounding. That puts him on track to be one of the greatest players of all time. How great? Whether it's top-30, top-20, whatever we won't know at least for 5 more seasons.

If you let a handful of people on this site that were hyping him to go down better than Lebron, or someone like that, on the all time list then sure those people were overrating him.

Curry had more turnovers than assists in the Finals... also shot a poor percentage.

Really let his team down.

He had a 58 true shooting percentage.... so he shot fine. He did turn the ball over too much. He didn't shoot well enough the last three games. So? It's a 3-game sample size where his shooting was off in two of the three games.

I think everyone should not be prisoners of the moment. Remember back in 2011, when Lebron only scored <18ppg against the Mavericks, had a 54ts%, 102 ORtg? People CRUSHED him. Now, five years later they understand he had a bad series in the Finals. That happens. Now, he has won 3 of the last 5 titles. He bounced back. Why can't Curry?

It is OK to have a bad series. Those that are jumping on other people for getting caught in the hype for Curry are doing the exact same thing here by getting caught in the poor performance of one series.

KnicksorBust
06-20-2016, 10:00 AM

Thats it. They went scoreless the last 4:30. If Curry had just made two more shots we would be calling him king of clutch and Bron would be a choker again. TWO SHOTS. The difference between greatness and "overrated" can be so small sometimes its scary. The stakes were at their highest and he underwhelmed.

mightybosstone
06-20-2016, 10:20 AM
I know many people will see this as a troll thread, but I kind of think OP has a point. This is two consecutive Finals where Curry has underwhelmed when it mattered most. Had he lost in last year's Finals, we'd be crucifying him right now the same way everyone did with Lebron, but he gets a pass because the team played well enough last season and he performed just well enough to outplay an injury-riddled Cavs team in that series.

Just as a comparison, let's compare Lebron's infamous 2011 Finals numbers with Curry's numbers from this Finals series:
Lebron '11: 17.8 PPG on 47.8% shooting, 7.2 rebounds, 1.7 steals with a 6.8/4.0 AST/TO ratio
Curry '16: 22.6 PPG on 40.3% shooting, 4.9 rebounds, 0.9 steals with a 3.7/4.3 AST/TO ratio

When you throw in Curry's 3-point numbers (40% for the series), I'd probably give him the slightest of edges, but only a slight one. And his overall efficiency in the series was unbelievably pedestrian for a guy who has earned a reputation for his insane offensive efficiency.

Basically, yes, I do think Curry is overrated when you compare his regular season prowess with his mediocre performance in back-to-back Finals series. Obviously that's a small sample size, but I would have let it slide had he only done it once. Doing it two years in a row and being a significant reason why your team gave up a 3-1 edge with home-court advantage? I can't forgive that. I think he needs to perform a little better in the big postseason series to deserve the level of praise he's received the last two seasons.

LA_1
06-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Honestly when his shot is off, he's pretty useless. He can't play D, can't rebound, doesn't really get his teammates involved either.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 10:41 AM
When you're being compared to Jordan and are the unanimous NBA MVP, then yes, you better show up in the postseason. If not, you're overrated. That's by default.

Gibby23
06-20-2016, 11:35 AM
I don't know about that, he is real good, but you don't throw stupid behind the back passes towards the sideline in a close game 7 of the finals and you should also quit shooting long *** 3's and maybe try and get a 2 point shot in the key to get something going for yourself late in the game.

KnicksorBust
06-20-2016, 11:55 AM
I know many people will see this as a troll thread, but I kind of think OP has a point. This is two consecutive Finals where Curry has underwhelmed when it mattered most. Had he lost in last year's Finals, we'd be crucifying him right now the same way everyone did with Lebron, but he gets a pass because the team played well enough last season and he performed just well enough to outplay an injury-riddled Cavs team in that series.

Just as a comparison, let's compare Lebron's infamous 2011 Finals numbers with Curry's numbers from this Finals series:
Lebron '11: 17.8 PPG on 47.8% shooting, 7.2 rebounds, 1.7 steals with a 6.8/4.0 AST/TO ratio
Curry '16: 22.6 PPG on 40.3% shooting, 4.9 rebounds, 0.9 steals with a 3.7/4.3 AST/TO ratio

When you throw in Curry's 3-point numbers (40% for the series), I'd probably give him the slightest of edges, but only a slight one. And his overall efficiency in the series was unbelievably pedestrian for a guy who has earned a reputation for his insane offensive efficiency.

Basically, yes, I do think Curry is overrated when you compare his regular season prowess with his mediocre performance in back-to-back Finals series. Obviously that's a small sample size, but I would have let it slide had he only done it once. Doing it two years in a row and being a significant reason why your team gave up a 3-1 edge with home-court advantage? I can't forgive that. I think he needs to perform a little better in the big postseason series to deserve the level of praise he's received the last two seasons.

Comparing a guard and a forward using fg% :pity:

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 12:00 PM

Okay, let's compare the forward playing a better PG than the best PG himself.

Lil Rhody
06-20-2016, 12:03 PM
I wish the Celtics had him that's for sure

This site man it kills me. More flip flopping then a house of pancakes around here.

He is a great player..... Ya the hype was a lil much but how can you blame players/media/fans this team was on some historic run and he was at the helm. Idk what the big deal is

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 12:04 PM
I wish the Celtics had him that's for sure

This site man it kills me. More flip flopping then a house of pancakes around here.

He is a great player..... Ya the hype was a lil much but how can you blame players/media/fans this team was on some historic run and he was at the helm. Idk what the big deal is

That he choked away a 3-1 lead. Sucked all series long. He was rewarded the unanimous MVP but if you don't show up in the playoffs, you get the unanimous hate as well.

GiantsSwaGG
06-20-2016, 12:33 PM
I don't really care that much about finals MVPs. It was a 6-game sample size, they gave it to Iguodala who guarded Lebron and forced him to have the least efficient series of his career (and that's without Kevin Love, without Irving most of the series). So, because a group of people wanted to give the FMVP to someone not named Stephen Curry that means he's overrated? You know how many people can average the numbers that Stephen Curry put up in the Finals last year? Not many at all. Saying he's a great offensive player, and "that's it" sure, you could argue that. But what do you really mean by that? Are you saying he's like James Harden defensively? Because he's not. Are you saying, he's a terrible rebounder? Because he's not. He's a historically great scorer, with average overall defense, plus rebounding. That puts him on track to be one of the greatest players of all time. How great? Whether it's top-30, top-20, whatever we won't know at least for 5 more seasons.

If you let a handful of people on this site that were hyping him to go down better than Lebron, or someone like that, on the all time list then sure those people were overrating him.

He had a 58 true shooting percentage.... so he shot fine. He did turn the ball over too much. He didn't shoot well enough the last three games. So? It's a 3-game sample size where his shooting was off in two of the three games.

I think everyone should not be prisoners of the moment. Remember back in 2011, when Lebron only scored <18ppg against the Mavericks, had a 54ts%, 102 ORtg? People CRUSHED him. Now, five years later they understand he had a bad series in the Finals. That happens. Now, he has won 3 of the last 5 titles. He bounced back. Why can't Curry?

It is OK to have a bad series. Those that are jumping on other people for getting caught in the hype for Curry are doing the exact same thing here by getting caught in the poor performance of one series.

And that's my point, and you should take into account the finals MVP and it being a 6 game sample makes it look worse for Curry, LeBron didn't have Love and Kyrie yet manage to win 2 games BY HIMSELF. Curry league MVP wasn't even the difference maker in the finals? Yeah he's overrated, I ask what does he offer other than shooting? He's one of if not the greatest shooter of all time, but what happens when he shots are not falling? LeBron went 9-24 but you don't realize that because his defense alone had more of an impact than curry overall. Explain why when Curry missed time they GS manage to wins games but when Draymond and Bogut were out they couldn't? I'm starting to think he's not the most valuable player on his team, Klay saved them against the Thunder where he got outplayed by Westbrook. He's a great offensive player but that's about it!

MarkieMark48
06-20-2016, 12:37 PM

next year will be his 8th year in the league and he will be 29 by seasons end

smith&wesson
06-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Considering he was the unanimous MVP vote getter, yes I would say he is over rated.

mightybosstone
06-20-2016, 01:41 PM

It's not like I'm comparing a guard and a big man. Lebron is still a wing in my book and plays like a wing offensively. Also, it's worth noting that Curry shot 50.4% from the floor this season. Lebron shot 51% from the floor in the 2010-11 regular season. So offering up their FG% as a comparable statistic certainly seems like fair game.

krazylegz
06-20-2016, 01:51 PM
considering he was the unanimous mvp vote getter, yes i would say he is over rated.

this

tredigs
06-20-2016, 01:57 PM
That wasn't the Steph Curry of the regular season. And if that was your first time paying attention to him game after game, I can understand why you would think he is overrated. The praise and unanimous MVP was fully justified, but that player went down in the playoffs.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-20-2016, 02:00 PM
That wasn't the Steph Curry of the regular season. And if that was your first time paying attention to him game after game, I can understand why you would think he is overrated. The praise and unanimous MVP was fully justified, but that player went down in the playoffs.

What an asinine statement.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 02:01 PM

If you are going to be called the unanimous MVP and you perform like that in the playoffs, that's the perfect explanation.

kdspurman
06-20-2016, 02:05 PM
next year will be his 8th year in the league and he will be 29 by seasons end

I mean Lebron got better as a player in Miami, and he was about 7-8 years in. I know he came in younger, but there's still plenty of time for Steph to improve on some of those things that were exploited

nastynice
06-20-2016, 02:09 PM
I mean Lebron got better as a player in Miami, and he was about 7-8 years in. I know he came in younger, but there's still plenty of time for Steph to improve on some of those things that were exploited

This is a huge opportunity for growth for him. This is only his 4th season playing at an all star or higher level, his career came in late with injuries and development.

He already identified what some of his issues were in the post game presser. Let's see how that translates to his game.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure what Curry needs to work on. His shots didn't fall in but those are shots he always made. So what does he work on offensively when he just put up the best offensive season? Defensively, he's so limited because he's fragile, soft, and has a low defensive mentality. You can't teach defense. I'm just not sure how he can be better. I think we've seen Curry's peak.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-20-2016, 02:15 PM

Agreed. I thought he was great this year, but his weaknesses were overshadowed by the 73 win season. There's still a ton of room for improvement.

Firefistus
06-20-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure what Curry needs to work on. His shots didn't fall in but those are shots he always made. So what does he work on offensively when he just put up the best offensive season? Defensively, he's so limited because he's fragile, soft, and has a low defensive mentality. You can't teach defense. I'm just not sure how he can be better. I think we've seen Curry's peak.

He can work on making smart shots vs half court chucks. He's a PG for his team, and he needs to have better decision making on when to shoot and when to dish without turning the ball over. Mental discipline would do him good. More studying the game, talking to coaches, run plays instead of dribble around for 20 seconds and shoot from 3/4 court. The question is, does he have the humility to admit he needs that? I don't know, it sure didn't sound like it post game. But only time will tell.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 02:39 PM
He can work on making smart shots vs half court chucks. He's a PG for his team, and he needs to have better decision making on when to shoot and when to dish without turning the ball over. Mental discipline would do him good. More studying the game, talking to coaches, run plays instead of dribble around for 20 seconds and shoot from 3/4 court. The question is, does he have the humility to admit he needs that? I don't know, it sure didn't sound like it post game. But only time will tell.

Maybe. I just don't know with Curry because those shots people are saying are bad, well, he made them all regular season long and it produced the greatest offensive regular season, ever. So it's a tricky situation. Clearly his shots just didn't fall down. I honestly think he's hit his peak and I think a large part has to do with him not facing any adversity and being on a team that just does everything so he doesn't have to. That has hurt his overall game.

nastynice
06-20-2016, 02:44 PM

What?? His mental game, when to rain 3's, when to force it to the paint. He's clearly capable of it, he had one of the highest fg% in the paint this year. His lazy passes obviously. After kyrie's 3, dancing in the perimeter for a 3 instead of taking the two they were giving him.

Defensively there's not too much more for him to do, his defensive iq is pretty off the charts already, he's not gonna get stronger or faster, all he can do at this point is just getting experience. Does anyone know how many times when guarding lebron he either scored or directly assisted on curry? His defense actually was pretty good, the actual fg% against him was around 30 I believe? Someone had thrown that stat up there. I'm not saying this to defend him, he played like ****, but his defense has been blown pretty out of proportion, Kyrie danced on him a couple times and that's all anyone remembers.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 02:45 PM
What?? His mental game, when to rain 3's, when to force it to the paint. He's clearly capable of it, he had one of the highest fg% in the paint this year. His lazy passes obviously. After kyrie's 3, dancing in the perimeter for a 3 instead of taking the two they were giving him.

Defensively there's not too much more for him to do, his defensive iq is pretty off the charts already, he's not gonna get stronger or faster, all he can do at this point is just getting experience. Does anyone know how many times when guarding lebron he either scored or directly assisted on curry? His defense actually was pretty good, the actual fg% against him was around 30 I believe? Someone had thrown that stat up there. I'm not saying this to defend him, he played like ****, but his defense has been blown pretty out of proportion, Kyrie danced on him a couple times and that's all anyone remembers.

His defense was actually pretty good? How long is your nose right now?

nastynice
06-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Maybe. I just don't know with Curry because those shots people are saying are bad, well, he made them all regular season long and it produced the greatest offensive regular season, ever. So it's a tricky situation. Clearly his shots just didn't fall down. I honestly think he's hit his peak and I think a large part has to do with him not facing any adversity and being on a team that just does everything so he doesn't have to. That has hurt his overall game.

I watch a lot of Warriors games, I can tell when they take bad shots. Has nothing to do with the distance or the amount of people on him, has to do wether he's just unconscious so shooting without thinking vs just getting lazy on offense and not wanting to work for a shot so he just throws it up. You can tell the diff watching the game

nastynice
06-20-2016, 02:48 PM
His defense was actually pretty good? How long is your nose right now?

lol, you understand the cavs didn't go at curry defensively because they were succeeding against him, they were doing it cuz they wanted to wear him out so he can't run around as much on offense, right?

FlashBolt
@NastyNice, with all due respect, I can no longer accept any credibility from your post after you claimed Curry's defense was actually pretty good. I have no idea why you said that but that is a terrible lie.

BDawk4Prez
Overrated seems to be a severe overreaction.

Jamiecballer
06-20-2016, 02:55 PM
i don't like participating in this kind of thread but i have to answer yes. he's an incredibly good player, but he's certainly not first ever unanimous MVP type good. that was the media needing to acknowledge the incredible season GS had, that's it. At this point I'm viewing his MVP awards in a similar fashion to the way I view Nash's.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Steph (and the Warriors in general) get too cute at times. Like, why the hell did Steph throw a behind the back flip down the stretch in game 7? Why do the Warriors pass up wide open drive lanes to kick out to shooters?

I didn't watch more than 7-8 games this year of the Warriors, but I didn't notice how many times they turn the ball over out top trying to be cute. Curry is a major cause of this.

To answer the question simply, yes, Curry is probably overrated, only because he was getting Jordan comparisons offensively. He needs to get in the weight room and get a little bit stronger, and use his ability to shoot to put the ball on the floor in a forward motion to the rim more. Defensively, his build will always limit him, but GS has figured out how to mask him from being physically punished a lot, and he is a smart team defender, so he is still more than fine off the ball, on the weaker wings

Meth
06-20-2016, 03:21 PM
It was apparent that he played hurt. A healthy Curry would have definitely and obviously played better. The team was lethal when he's able to attack the paint with ease. The offense broke down as he had trouble doing so. He was more agile and was able to dribble past Durant in the regular season. He wasn't able to do that in the playoffs. He clearly wasn't the MVP type player that was seen in the regular season.

nastynice
06-20-2016, 03:24 PM
@NastyNice, with all due respect, I can no longer accept any credibility from your post after you claimed Curry's defense was actually pretty good. I have no idea why you said that but that is a terrible lie.

There is much you do not understand about this sport. You will learn one day :)

nastynice
06-20-2016, 03:26 PM
It was apparent that he played hurt. A healthy Curry would have definitely and obviously played better. The team was lethal when he's able to attack the paint with ease. The offense broke down as he had trouble doing so. He was more agile and was able to dribble past Durant in the regular season. He wasn't able to do that in the playoffs. He clearly wasn't the MVP type player that was seen in the regular season.

I don't hold any of physical limitations against him, if u physically can't move how ur used to that's understandable, but he had a LOT of mental mistakes, injured or not there's no excuse for that

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 03:26 PM
There is much you do not understand about this sport. You will learn one day :)

No, actually, that is you. You will not find anyone saying Curry played "pretty good" defense. Even implying he made LeBron work for his shot is laughable. Every time Kyrie and Curry had a one-on-one defense, I yelled at Kyrie to attack him. It worked every time. You need to stop being biased. Curry did not play good defense. You are just turning into full out rage/troll mode. Don't be upset, it's okay..

Meth
06-20-2016, 03:31 PM
No, actually, that is you. You will not find anyone saying Curry played "pretty good" defense. Even implying he made LeBron work for his shot is laughable. Every time Kyrie and Curry had a one-on-one defense, I yelled at Kyrie to attack him. It worked every time. You need to stop being biased. Curry did not play good defense. You are just turning into full out rage/troll mode. Don't be upset, it's okay..

It really seems like you're the one who's upset whenever someone brings up Curry's amazing defensive prowess.

nastynice
06-20-2016, 03:35 PM

Yea, for sure, Kyrie was shooting a what, a 30% clip against him? Ur yelling really seemed to work! haha

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 03:36 PM
It really seems like you're the one who's upset whenever someone brings up Curry's amazing defensive prowess.

Just in disbelief that someone can even argue that. But you're a Warriors fan so I see why you take it as a slight.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Yea, for sure, Kyrie was shooting a what, a 30% clip against him? Ur yelling really seemed to work! haha

It's okay. I would be upset too if my team lost a 3-1. I still am =D

nastynice
06-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Why? It's over, what's to be upset about? Had an amazing and entertaining game 7, a win would be nice but only 1 in 32 teams gets that. This was a fun season. And has me excited for what's coming up. Same with the thunder, why would u be upset?

LaLa_Land
06-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Being "overrated" is far from an objective concept. It has more to do with media buildup and obnoxious fandom than it has to do with any quantifiable manner of analysis. But in Curry's case, he was the first ever unanimous MVP. That alone is an indictment of a player who should be able to "flip the switch" at any moment. That's what "The Most Valuable Player" is supposed to do. Green and Iguodala have proved that on the brightest stage, they are the most valuable players on that Warriors team.

Stephen Curry is something the league has never seen before. A positively transcendent shooter. But as far has value goes, I don't think the Warriors would fare much differently if say, Damian Lillard was their starting point guard. So yes, I would have to call him overrated.

Meth
06-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Just in disbelief that someone can even argue that. But you're a Warriors fan so I see why you take it as a slight.

He's not a terrible defender, but he's not a godly one either. I've watched him over the years and I can say he's greatly improved, at the very least, as an above average plus defender. His team defense, specifically his defensive IQ especially on the weak side is often underappreciated by the outside viewers. In iso situations as a one-on-one defender, as long as he doesn't easily give up middle, and forces opponents into contested pull-up shots, then he's done his job.

FlashBolt
06-20-2016, 03:57 PM
He's not a terrible defender, but he's not a godly one either. I've watched him over the years and I can say he's greatly improved, at the very least, as an above average plus defender. His team defense, specifically his defensive IQ especially on the weak side is often underappreciated by the outside viewers. In iso situations as a one-on-one defender, as long as he doesn't easily give up middle, and forces opponents into contested pull-up shots, then he's done his job.

That's the thing. I never said Curry was a terrible defender. Terrible is James Harden defense. But to say he was pretty good after what we saw? Sorry, not buying it. Curry's steals come from covering the lanes. It can be good but it's also very risky. It's similar to what AI did. He's just very limited defensively. He's fragile, soft, and has low IQ defensively. It just wasn't smart basketball. In game 6, people say it was rigged but watch those fouls again. Just not very smart. Reaching in with 4 fouls when your team needs you is not smart basketball.

Gibby23
06-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Steph (and the Warriors in general) get too cute at times. Like, why the hell did Steph throw a behind the back flip down the stretch in game 7? Why do the Warriors pass up wide open drive lanes to kick out to shooters?

I didn't watch more than 7-8 games this year of the Warriors, but I didn't notice how many times they turn the ball over out top trying to be cute. Curry is a major cause of this.

To answer the question simply, yes, Curry is probably overrated, only because he was getting Jordan comparisons offensively. He needs to get in the weight room and get a little bit stronger, and use his ability to shoot to put the ball on the floor in a forward motion to the rim more. Defensively, his build will always limit him, but GS has figured out how to mask him from being physically punished a lot, and he is a smart team defender, so he is still more than fine off the ball, on the weaker wings

That is what I said on the last page. lol

It's game 7 in the closing minutes of a very close game. Know the situation that you are on. lol

Not only was the pass behind the back, it was towards the sideline with really no room for error.

ink
06-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Lol close the thread. God this is when I stay clear of NBA forum. All the troll threads come out for about a week after the finals.

Sad but true.

ink
06-20-2016, 04:16 PM

I absolutely agree about the unnecessary cute plays when he should be making the smart basketball decision. CLE played him very aggressively and completely rattled him. GSW was not able to mask him in this series. The Cavs went after him hard.

Is he overrated? Yes, there's been way too much hype about him for the last few years. But he's a damn good player. His vulnerabilities were exposed in these playoffs, and yes, he was also coming back from an injury with the need to get right back up to speed. People are forgetting about that. The rhythm of the whole team was out of whack from just after his return from injury on. He didn't play to his full ability.