PDA

View Full Version : How far has Harrison Barnes' next salary nose-dived?

beasted86
06-17-2016, 01:50 AM
Barnes was a productive rising wing slated to get a huge payday this summer heading into the playoffs. Suddenly 2 straight horrible outings in the last 2 Finals games and he could be costing himself 10s of millions on his next contract.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/breaking-news/ci_30026544/harrison-barnes-bad-salary-drive

He's saying all the right things in the media, but he has to perform.

jsthornton7
06-17-2016, 01:59 AM
Not costing himself much. Someone will overpay, GS will likely match.

beasted86
06-17-2016, 02:04 AM
Not costing himself much. Someone will overpay, GS will likely match.

I think it depends on his play in Game 7. Teams tend to remember that last series.

I remember two years ago during the season us Miami fans were wondering if we were going to be able to pay Chalmers and then he played himself into a much smaller contract in the '14 Finals. Those last 5 games undid his above average season.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-17-2016, 02:07 AM
He's lost money but not that much.

jerellh528
06-17-2016, 02:09 AM
Hopefully enough for the lakers to buy low. I'll trust Luke's judgement on whether or not to offer him a contract

More-Than-Most
06-17-2016, 02:58 AM
It wont cost him anything.... some stupid NBA team will toss a ton at him and the warriors will moronically match. I never understood the hype with him

Saddletramp
06-17-2016, 03:06 AM
I think the question is......when do the Warriors get their bluff called? They said that they'll match but I'm thinking at some point the Warriors say "Whew....take him. Dodged that bullet." $14 million? $16? $18? $20 million a year? And who'll be dumb enough to go that high?

Alayla
06-17-2016, 10:14 AM
As a Sixers fan? an overpay for Barnes would have me thrilled AF
Trade Okafor, 24, 26 for 3 and Bradley
Draft Simmons and Dunn
Dunn/TJ
Bradley/H Thompson
Barnes/Covington
Simmons/Saric
Noel/Embid

Call that a great offseason.

Tony_Starks
06-17-2016, 10:23 AM
I think people in the know already saw he wasn't "max" material.

That being said someone will still overpay him, maybe my Lakers. Him and Festivus.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-17-2016, 10:27 AM
If the Raps are paying Terrance freakn Ross like 11M then Barnes will easily get more.

But if I'm the Warriors I wouldn't lose sleep if he left. They can easily replace him with a draft pick..

Both finals this and last in a combined 15/16 games he's had what, like 2 good games and the rest atrociously bad.
Which makes no sense because the guy has Love and TT on him at times, he should be destroying them with drives but he doesn't. He doesn't have that "it" factor.
The Warriors should replace him with Batum

Supa
06-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Barnes doesn't have the handling to create his own shots. His game fits with the Warriors system. Any team over paying him will be disappointed.

---

Sadds The Gr8
06-17-2016, 11:16 AM
It wont cost him anything.... some stupid NBA team will toss a ton at him and the warriors will moronically match. I never understood the hype with him

x1000000

kdspurman
06-17-2016, 11:17 AM

Same...

JasonJohnHorn
06-17-2016, 12:16 PM
His play has nose dived in the post season, I'll admit, but I think most GMs are still excited about him and view this as a consequence of not making him a regular shooter. Curry and Klay are playing more minutes and taking more shots, so there is less ball to go around, and the Warriors are playing Iggy a lot because he performed well last season against LBJ.

tredigs
06-17-2016, 01:38 PM
His play has nose dived in the post season, I'll admit, but I think most GMs are still excited about him and view this as a consequence of not making him a regular shooter. Curry and Klay are playing more minutes and taking more shots, so there is less ball to go around, and the Warriors are playing Iggy a lot because he performed well last season against LBJ.

Actually no, the total minutes played/shots taken for all three have remained virtually identical. Barnes is just not good + terribly streaky and happens to be on the ultimate downswing when they need him most.

zn23
06-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Harrison Barnes' shooting percentage is 9% in the last two games (2-22) Which is abysmal. To make matters worse, he's not playing well enough on defense for Steve Kerr to keep him in the game. It's a bad mix.

FlashBolt
06-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Actually no, the total minutes played/shots taken for all three have remained virtually identical. Barnes is just not good + terribly streaky and happens to be on the ultimate downswing when they need him most.

I'm guessing you're referring to Barnes, Curry, and Thompson? If so, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Curry/Thompson are taking much more shots than Barnes is on a time/attempts average. He's not making them but I don't see how you're saying it's identical.

Barnes: .32 FGA/per minute
Curry: .51 FGA/per minute
Klay: .45 FGA/per minute

tredigs
06-17-2016, 02:45 PM
I'm guessing you're referring to Barnes, Curry, and Thompson? If so, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Curry/Thompson are taking much more shots than Barnes is on a time/attempts average. He's not making them but I don't see how you're saying it's identical.

Barnes: .32 FGA/per minute
Curry: .51 FGA/per minute
Klay: .45 FGA/per minute

I'm pretty sure he was referring to Curry/Thompson playing more minutes and taking more shots in the post-season, and that this consequence was the reason for his poor playoff play. I'm saying that their minutes/FGA's are no different now than they were in the regular season. To make matters worse, the looks he has been seeing the past couple games on his 2-22 shooting have been absurdly wide open ones due to the crazy amount of defense they throw at Curry. If he can't hit those shots, then the Cavs have no reason not to continue to overplay Curry (and to a lesser extent Klay) to the degree they have been. His failures have had a massive effect on the past two games for that reason.

Any team that gives this guy the max will regret it, and I certainly hope Bob Meyers is bluffing that GS will match.

tredigs
06-17-2016, 02:48 PM
The positive about Barnes is that he's proven to be capable of taking/making the big shot when he's left open late in a close game. He's basically a very poor man's Robert Horry.

FlashBolt
06-17-2016, 02:51 PM
He still has a lot of upside. His worth is definitely not a max contract. This might work out well for Warriors if they win despite Barnes playing terribly. Might be able to snag him for much less than originally offered.

tredigs
06-17-2016, 03:04 PM
How much upside can he really have? His has shown very little personal development in the 4 years he has been here (in an ultra conducive environment full of hard working players and great coaching), and most reports do claim he's a very hard worker. If you're that hard of a worker and have that many talented people around you, a player with "a lot of upside" would have shown it by season 4 at age 24. The Warriors have needed him to step up many times this year (specifically this post-season with Curry's injury), and he simply doesn't. Beyond that, his skill set is not one that would grow with added touches. He is terrible at creating his own shot and that's not something likely to improve as the years pass. If Barnes (even as an improved version of himself) is the 3rd or 4th best player on your team (let alone highest paid player), your team is not going anywhere.

smith&wesson
06-17-2016, 03:38 PM
he will still get paid in the new cap system. .

I don't think GSW need him at all, they have Klay, Iggy who can both play sg & sf. they have Livingston and Barbosa who can both play SG... I don't the warriors losing sleep over barnes

TylerSL
06-17-2016, 07:59 PM
He probably hasn't cost himself much money if any because everybody will have cap this summer. Everyone having money to spend is going to make the price for free agents rise and he still provides 3 point shooting. The better question is will Golden State match the best offer he eventually gets. After these Finals, the Warriors may elect to let him go. I really wouldn't be surprised if he ended up getting a 4 year deal worth close to $60 million, possibly a little more. Is he worth that to the Warriors? Especially when they have to offer Curry a 5 year max. Anything less would be just insulting at this point.

Golden State has $80 million in committed salary for next year and the cap is projected to be around $93 million. Are they willing to match and therefore spend all their cap on Barnes if he agrees to a deal early on? I'm not as certain. I think it's just as likely the Warriors find a replacement of Barnes this summer as opposed to retaining him. If I had to make a guess I'd say Barnes still gets paid but the Warriors are going to be unwilling to match, and his performance in the Finals may have something to do with that decision.

phantasyyy
06-17-2016, 08:33 PM
How much money did Barnes turn down last summer? He has actually regressed since last year, which is pretty shocking for a player whom is only 24, and is on a team full of guys around the same age and entering their perspective primes. He is like the only one out of the core - Curry, Thompson, Green, Iggy that really hasn't added anything to his game this year. He still lacks the ability to create and his shooting has gotten worse.. which is crazy considering the elite shooters he has on his team and the pointers and what not they can offer him to develop a more consistent streak. I mean look at the improvement Green has had on his outside stroke.

To be honest his one true value on the team is that he can be the teams small ball 4 in the DEATH line-up with the team without a true backup 4..,but he is just getting exposed here in the playoffs:

Rockets:
29.3mpg/8.4pts/4.2reb/1.6ast/0.6stl/ on .294%-fg/.200%-3pt/.900%-ft with 10.2fga

Blazers:
33.8mpg/9.6pts/6.6reb/0.6ast/0.6stl/ on .439%-fg/.308%-3pt/.727%-ft with 8.2fga

Thunder:
29.3mpg/8.7pts/3.9reb/1.3ast/0.9stl on .480%-fg/.526%-3pt/1.000%-ft with 7.1fga

Cavs:
32.1mpg/9.2pts/4.8reb/1.5ast/0.7stl/0.5blk on .361%-fg/.280%-3pt/.500%-ft with 10.1fga

Total Playoffs:
31mpg/9pt/4.8reb/1.3ast/0.7stl on .389%-fg/.333%-3pt/.750%-ft with 8.8fga

RS:
30.9mpg/11.7pt/4.9reb/1.8ast/0.6stl on .466%-fg/.383%-3pt/.761%-ft with 9.6fga

As you can see with basic raw stats his #'s have decline from the RS to PO, and he has really only shot the ball well in 1/4 series.

MTar786
06-18-2016, 12:15 AM
if he doesnt get great offers from gms cuz he had a bad last 3 games of the season then i would probably assume those gms will be fired sooner than later. its a good bargaining chip.. but ur still gonna pay top dollar for mr barnes.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-18-2016, 12:25 AM
He'll still get more than what he rejected last year.

valade16
06-18-2016, 07:59 AM
I would be more inclined to think the correlation works the opposite way (i.e. A player who has a good or great post-season or last few games gets overpaid) ala Roy Hibbert than this having a drastic effect on his salary.

beasted86
06-18-2016, 09:19 AM
if he doesnt get great offers from gms cuz he had a bad last 3 games of the season then i would probably assume those gms will be fired sooner than later. its a good bargaining chip.. but ur still gonna pay top dollar for mr barnes.

I'd say the opposite.

If you pay $23M for a 12/5/2 46% regular season player who puts up 9/5/1 39% in the playoffs, you're a GM who will be unemployed sooner rather than later.

eDush
06-18-2016, 09:49 AM

I'd say the opposite.

If you pay $23M for a 12/5/2 46% regular season player who puts up 9/5/1 39% in the playoffs, you're a GM who will be unemployed sooner rather than later.
Those stats goes out the window if my Warriors repeat as champions cause it's all about rings and once his agent show those GM the 2 championship rings on his fingers and that he is the starter on a team that just broken the Bulls all time regular season record, he will get the max. That's what I would so do if I was his agent cause I know what GM want to hear :nod:.You avoid taking individual numbers cause it's all about winning as a team and he never gets in trouble either on or off the court, not a dirty player but a great teammate :nod:. Now if they lose the finals, he would properly not get a max or the offer he turn down and most likely be blame for then not repeating :(.

So Barnes getting the max is so riding on the game 7 outcome regardless of what he does, it's not even funny. So I hope we do win not only for his sake but as Warriors!!! :clap:

eDush
06-18-2016, 10:03 AM
And as his agent, I would point out that Love is a super duper max player who didn't help Lebron win a championship and Barnes was part of the Warriors repeating as champion :nod:. Barnes so need to hire me as his agent to get him that max :nod:.

basketballkitty
06-18-2016, 10:11 AM
It doesn't matter what we all think. One, Golden State has already gone on record that they will easily pay Barnes 20 million a season. Second, Barnes signing for whatever does not hurt Golden State Cap wise or help them if they let him go. They are over it regardless...so even if they sign him he does not come close to having the Warriors reach the new LT level. So to just let him walk is stupid no matter how badly he has shot the ball this series. So this whole discussion is meaningless.

likemystylez
06-18-2016, 10:14 AM
And as his agent, I would point out that Love is a super duper max player who didn't help Lebron win a championship and Barnes was part of the Warriors repeating as champion :nod:. Barnes so need to hire me as his agent to get him that max :nod:.

if the warriors go on to lose this finals, there is some positive that could come out of it. They might rethink whether barnes is part of the future for them or if they need more depth at the wing position. (It also might push them to go all out after kevin durant). Trade bogut if they have too- the guy isnt even there during a game 7 of the nba finals.

They need guys who are interested in helping the team win basketball games, not guys looking for reasons to sit out and leave their team for dead. in game 7 of the nba finals, if you got a pulse- your ballin.

Green_Monster
06-18-2016, 10:18 AM
As a Sixers fan? an overpay for Barnes would have me thrilled AF
Trade Okafor, 24, 26 for 3 and Bradley
Draft Simmons and Dunn
Dunn/TJ
Bradley/H Thompson
Barnes/Covington
Simmons/Saric
Noel/Embid

Call that a great offseason.

The Celtics aren't doing that. It probably would've been done already if they were willing. Bradley is an elite defender and a solid shooter. They only trade him if they're getting a star wing player (Butler).

basketballkitty
06-18-2016, 10:44 AM
The Celtics aren't doing that. It probably would've been done already if they were willing. Bradley is an elite defender and a solid shooter. They only trade him if they're getting a star wing player (Butler).

As is I agree with you sir. But the problem is Boston, even with Bradley got torn apart when they play a Bradley/Thomas back court. Too short and too tiny weight wise. But Smart, who also is good defender can't shoot at all as a sg and can't faciiltate a offense.

Green_Monster
06-18-2016, 10:46 AM
As is I agree with you sir. But the problem is Boston, even with Bradley got torn apart when they play a Bradley/Thomas back court. Too short and too tiny weight wise. But Smart, who also is good defender can't shoot at all as a sg and can't faciiltate a offense.

Bradley never got torn apart, Thomas maybe.

Even if so, what are you trying to say? The Celtics still wouldn't do that trade.

basketballkitty
06-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Bradley never got torn apart, Thomas maybe.

Even if so, what are you trying to say? The Celtics still wouldn't do that trade.

If they got Butler ?..yes. Cause he also is a good defender and a more complete offensive player then Bradley is. But it still does not address their biggest weakness and that is having a proven Inside offensive force who can eliminate any outside pressure on their guards.

Green_Monster
06-18-2016, 11:00 AM
If they got Butler ?..yes. Cause he also is a good defender and a more complete offensive player then Bradley is. But it still does not address their biggest weakness and that is having a proven Inside offensive force who can eliminate any outside pressure on their guards.

That "proven force" doesn't play defense or rebound. The Celtics got torn apart by good inside scoring big men this year, now they'd get even worse.

How are they getting Butler without trading #3?

basketballkitty
06-18-2016, 11:16 AM
That "proven force" doesn't play defense or rebound. The Celtics got torn apart by good inside scoring big men this year, now they'd get even worse.

How are they getting Butler without trading #3?

They aren't getting Butler for Bradley and # 3 ( Pure fantasy )

Green_Monster
06-18-2016, 11:39 AM
They aren't getting Butler for Bradley and # 3 ( Pure fantasy )

What are you talking about? You said the Celtics would do the trade mentioned above if they got Butler first. They can't trade the 3rd pick twice.

basketballkitty
06-18-2016, 11:46 AM
What are you talking about? You said the Celtics would do the trade mentioned above if they got Butler first. They can't trade the 3rd pick twice.

The C would. The Bulls laugh and hang up the phone. Besides good defense, Bradley brings nothing. His handle is terrible. He cannot create his own open shot. He can't play PG, ect. So his value to Chicago would be next to nothing.

eDush
06-18-2016, 11:54 AM

if the warriors go on to lose this finals, there is some positive that could come out of it. They might rethink whether barnes is part of the future for them or if they need more depth at the wing position. (It also might push them to go all out after kevin durant). Trade bogut if they have too- the guy isnt even there during a game 7 of the nba finals.

They need guys who are interested in helping the team win basketball games, not guys looking for reasons to sit out and leave their team for dead. in game 7 of the nba finals, if you got a pulse- your ballin.
Searching for some silver lining in losing the finals is never good karma prior to our biggest game in Warriors history. There are so many sub plots to be answered involving other more significant players then wondering what management with Barnes pending RFA status this summer. Obviously the owner can no longer convince the huger DubNation fan base to keep a winning starting unit in tact. I don't care if he gets paid the max or not, I want us to win game 7 not because I am a Dub fans first and foremost but to brag how good we are like all the idiots on this board does :nod:.

Go Dubs! :cheer:

eDush
06-18-2016, 12:02 PM

The C would. The Bulls laugh and hang up the phone. Besides good defense, Bradley brings nothing. His handle is terrible. He cannot create his own open shot. He can't play PG, ect. So his value to Chicago would be next to nothing.
Please take this to the Butler trade thread where it belongs. This is a Barnes dedicated thread. Signed I want to be a max player :).

Green_Monster
06-18-2016, 12:02 PM

I'm going to try to make this very simple for you.

1. Thevcballer suggested a trade base of Okafor for #3 + Bradley.
2. I said the Celtics wouldn't do that trade.
3. You said they would if they traded for Butler first.

They can't trade for Butler without the #3 pick, so the suggested Okafor deal wouldn't even be possible.

Bradley is an elite defender who can shoot. He has value, both to Chicago and every other team in the league.

eDush
06-18-2016, 12:05 PM

I'm going to try to make this very simple for you.

1. Thevcballer suggested a trade base of Okafor for #3 + Bradley.
2. I said the Celtics wouldn't do that trade.
3. You said they would if they traded for Butler first.

They can't trade for Butler without the #3 pick, so the suggested Okafor deal wouldn't even be possible.

Bradley is an elite defender who can shoot. He has value, both to Chicago and every other team in the league.ahum...read above post. Thanks for your cooperation.

ausanr
06-18-2016, 12:10 PM
Not costing himself much. Someone will overpay, GS will likely match.http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/6.gif
http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/4.gif http://yeahonlinemarketing.com/apple/images/21.gif

Green_Monster
06-18-2016, 12:20 PM
ahum...read above post. Thanks for your cooperation.

We posted at the same time, thanks though. I didn't realize you were a mod.

Corey
06-18-2016, 12:20 PM
He would be a no-doubt max if he performed really well in the finals

eDush
06-18-2016, 12:23 PM
ahum...read above post. Thanks for your cooperation.

We posted at the same time, thanks though. I didn't realize you were a mod.
I'm not a mod. Just helping out and you are welcome :nod:.

eDush
06-18-2016, 12:26 PM
He would be a no-doubt max if he performed really well in the finals
You do know he can't perform well under pressure and in need of a spark. However, he's great at sustaining a lead once we are able to achieve it from our Big 3 :nod:.
:dance:

Chronz
06-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Remember when Harden went ghost.

europagnpilgrim
06-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Barnes was a productive rising wing slated to get a huge payday this summer heading into the playoffs. Suddenly 2 straight horrible outings in the last 2 Finals games and he could be costing himself 10s of millions on his next contract.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/breaking-news/ci_30026544/harrison-barnes-bad-salary-drive

He's saying all the right things in the media, but he has to perform.

after 2 straight bad games out of 106 or so games played this year he has played himself out of a big deal contract? wow

2 horrible finals or regular or exhibit games will not run off a big deal that he is going to get from some hungry starved 3pt shooting team

he will still get his 60mill deal what he was offered and turned down by the Warriors, it may not be the 80mill T Thompson type but he will get his payday, and it wont be based on 2 bad finals games for sure, he has a pretty good resume being a 3rd/4th style option in this offense and youth is on his side also, which is his biggest asset along with his skill set

europagnpilgrim
06-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Remember when Harden went ghost.

and got 80 mill after that

basically what I am saying about Barnes but he is not on Harden level but giving the rise in overall cap room he may get 70mill from somebody looking to take him away from the Dubs

beasted86
06-18-2016, 03:02 PM
after 2 straight bad games out of 106 or so games played this year he has played himself out of a big deal contract? wow

2 horrible finals or regular or exhibit games will not run off a big deal that he is going to get from some hungry starved 3pt shooting team

he will still get his 60mill deal what he was offered and turned down by the Warriors, it may not be the 80mill T Thompson type but he will get his payday, and it wont be based on 2 bad finals games for sure, he has a pretty good resume being a 3rd/4th style option in this offense and youth is on his side also, which is his biggest asset along with his skill set
Maybe it's not just these last 2 playoff games, but its the whole post-season he's underperformed based on his regular season stats. These last couple playoff games are just putting the punctuation mark on his underwhelming performance.

As I said in the original post, his max is $23M, and based on a $92M cap that would relate to a 4yr/98.2M contract. Yes, there was plenty of discussion of him getting the max as reasoning for turning down that deal leading all the way up to the end of the regular season. So I'm not sure why you're washing that away and talking and downplaying it to the tune of $60-70M now.

tredigs
06-18-2016, 10:45 PM

He's never posted a PER over 13.8 in the regular or post-season in his career. He is currently posting an 8.9 PER and has a 47.4% TS%. 2 GAMES???? Career post-season PER is 11.1 with a 50.9 TS% and a 0.82 WS/48. I have watched literally >90% of the games Harrison Barnes has played in his career, and these stats aside, I can tell you for certain that he is not an elite level basketball player, and never will be. The fact that teams all over are entertaining him as a max player is - to be blunt - a ****ing joke.

kobe4thewinbang
06-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Scoreless in 16 minutes in THE NBA FINALS looks pretty bad. That and his poor performances before that one. I don't know why GS has disclosed that they are throwing 20 million him. For what? Curry will get a huge payday and rightfully so, but 20 million for this dude? He makes a 3 every now and then and they don't need him when Klay can drop 37 in one quarter.