PDA

View Full Version : How important is Andrew Bogut?

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2016, 11:52 PM
I've always held that Bogut is a vital piece of the Warriors success. Friends of mine took me to task on this as they seemed to perform well without him and even benched him when he was available in the first two rounds, but game five and six seem to highlight just how important he is.

On offence, he is more than competent and is a great passer for a big man. On defence, he is a solid post defender, and though he's a little slow getting back of he has to step out to guard a stretch four and follow a C out for a high pick-and-roll, he is great on the glass, and great an cutting of lanes and picking up slashers to contest their shots.

Without him, Tristan Thompson had a double-double in the first half. A guy with no range managed 10 points, when he'd normally be lucky to get that many in a game, and was tearing up the boards. With Bogut out for part of game 5, and all of game 6, LBJ posted back-to-back 40-point games and has been free to attack the basket for high percentage shots.

While on offence, guys like Ezili and Varejao don't command a lot of attention, and so make it easier for defenders to help cover GSW's better scorers.

I know many people would point to the absence of Green in game 5 as a key factor, and it was, but I think the loss of Bogut has really hit this team in this series.

People tend to forget this guy wasn an all-star, and even though he isn't putting up All-Star numbers, he still puts up an All-Star level of play. He doesn't get a lot of touches, but the shots he gets he hits at over .600, which makes him even more efficient than some 3-pt shooters and forces defences to follow him, and he also works the glass hard, and moves the ball well (over 20 assists in 20 minutes with a 2-1 ast/trn ratio). and he's a solid defender.

Anybody else feel like Bogut's contributions have been overlooked?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-17-2016, 12:06 AM
He's gonna turn into the next Kendrick Perkins.

"We never lost a series with a full starting five. - Doc Rivers" - Steve Kerr

Vee-Rex
06-17-2016, 12:22 AM
Kyrie was performing lay up drills all over Bogut when he stepped out on the PnR. His biggest contribution in these finals are the illegal screens. I swear the Cavs were pounding GS in game 4 until 2 straight illegal screens got them back in it. 6 points in no time.

Yanks All Day
06-17-2016, 12:22 AM
Only rim protector on the team. Against a team that has 2 stars that live in the paint and a forward who is a rebounding machine. He's extremely important.

numba1CHANGsta
06-17-2016, 12:25 AM
He was their only legit center, Ezeli is too small to take on Thompson and Mozgov, the Warriors are getting killed on the boards.

CHANGO
06-17-2016, 02:01 AM
Ok let's be real here, Bogut wasn't a PLUS against the Cavs when he was healthy. His only contribution was a little rim protection, hard fouls and illegal screens. That's all.

He played:
minutes... His minutes were declining before the injury and he was fouling all over the place.

Cavs with Bogut ON court: 103.9 OFFrtg 94.7 DEFrtg +9.3 NETrtg
Cavs with Bogut OFF court: 107.3 OFFrtg 108.6 DEFrtg -1.3 NETrtg

With Bogut on court the Cavs have a worse offense product of Bogut's defense, but they also have a better defense thanks to Bogut inhability on the offensive side.

He is a BIG piece for them but not against the Cavs. He doesn't have the same impact against the Cavs.

CHANGO
06-17-2016, 02:02 AM
He was their only legit center, Ezeli is too small to take on Thompson and Mozgov, the Warriors are getting killed on the boards.

Yeah cuz Mozgov have played A LOT. LMAO...

beasted86
06-17-2016, 02:08 AM
Only rim protector on the team. Against a team that has 2 stars that live in the paint and a forward who is a rebounding machine. He's extremely important.

You can't be talking about Kyrie, can you?

goingfor28
06-17-2016, 02:18 AM
Kyrie was performing lay up drills all over Bogut when he stepped out on the PnR. His biggest contribution in these finals are the illegal screens. I swear the Cavs were pounding GS in game 4 until 2 straight illegal screens got them back in it. 6 points in no time.
This

Saddletramp
06-17-2016, 03:10 AM
Here come them excuses!

Hawkeye15
06-17-2016, 10:12 AM
well, the Warriors have gone from being a matchup problem for Cleveland, to Cleveland being a matchup problem for the Warriors. There is nobody on the Warriors roster that can stop James at the rim, or keep TT off the boards anymore. Bogut is also one of their best screeners, even if I think he moves all the time while doing it.

So for this series, Bogut is very important. The Cavs can now hide Love on Barnes, and not worry about rim protection when driving.

ManRam
06-17-2016, 10:20 AM
he played 74 minutes last finals.

the warriors are chameleons that can kill you in a bunch of ways with a bunch of personnel. this series bogut had a pretty significant impact early on. i think losing him does matter. i just think the warriors should be adapting better. they have the depth to overcome any injury tbh. everyone else just needs to be better.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-17-2016, 08:12 PM
I'd worry less about Bogut and more about Iggys back. To me, if he cannot play the type of defense he needs to, they will lose at home. Iggy cant even jump to take a shot right now. They need to inject him with something.

tredigs
06-17-2016, 08:55 PM
He matters in that when he's on the court (especially if Green is not), he's the vocal presence of the defense and calls out positioning, switches et. He's also a fantastic rim protector. But most importantly, he's not Anderson Varajao. Every minute he plays in Bogut's stead is an opportunity for Cleveland.

tredigs
06-17-2016, 09:06 PM
I'd worry less about Bogut and more about Iggys back. To me, if he cannot play the type of defense he needs to, they will lose at home. Iggy cant even jump to take a shot right now. They need to inject him with something.

This is true. Iggy hobbling is bad news because 'Bron gets free reign out there. Ultimately, it's a battle of wills on Sunday.

DboneG
06-17-2016, 10:43 PM
I hear he's going to do a Willis Reed for game 7. (I read the script)

I can see him now, walking through the tunnel with his knee wrapped up and limping. Give his team that much needed lift to start the game and on to victory. Wouldn't that be something.