PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or does a Melo/Love swap make too much sense ?

mudvayne387
06-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Melo is desperate. He will be willing to play second fiddle to Lebron at this stage in his career to win a ring. Love on the other hand is just 27 years old and clearly doesn't have the same desperation in his game.

With Hornacheck now coaching the Knicks, moving Kristaps to center permanently with the addition of Love would be a match up nightmare for a lot of teams.

Knicks would free up a few million in the deal allowing them to make a serious run at Conley or Batum.

The Cavs would still have a "big 3" and also a more conventional lineup.

What do you think ?

mngopher35
06-16-2016, 03:59 PM
I definitely think the Cavs should be looking to trade Love, Melo would be an upgrade for them given the situation. If they can get like Ibaka or Milsap and a wing 3/D player it might be a little better than Melo probably though.

eDush
06-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Melo is desperate. He will be willing to play second fiddle to Lebron at this stage in his career to win a ring. Love on the other hand is just 27 years old and clearly doesn't have the same desperation in his game.

With Hornacheck now coaching the Knicks, moving Kristaps to center permanently with the addition of Love would be a match up nightmare for a lot of teams.

Knicks would free up a few million in the deal allowing them to make a serious run at Conley or Batum.

What do you think ?
Melo doesn't seem to care about winning championships as oppose to padding his stats in his home town. That's why he hasn't been critical to Jackson or he will not play him and he knows it. At least it comes across that way to me cause he is very loyal to NY like Lebron is to Cleveland :nod:.

THE MTL
06-16-2016, 04:00 PM
It actually makes alot of sense by the way you put it. But idk, if there is enough basketballs for Lebron, Kyrie, and Melo.

Tony_Starks
06-16-2016, 04:32 PM
If Melo is going to be a third option, which he would and should be, is he really going to be that effective?

s3antana5757
06-16-2016, 04:56 PM
I like the idea, not sure it would all work out though. LeBron and Melo are way more redundant than Love and LeBron. Is Melo all the sudden gonna play D and board; AND play third fiddle to Kyrie and LeBron. Hard to see that. But they likely have to get rid of Love in some capacity.

Bostonjorge
06-16-2016, 04:56 PM
It don't make to much sense for NY. They trade away a big contract and bring on another big contract with more years on it. Just to put them in the same situation. Not to good with a max player taking up to much money to truly rebuild. NY if they decide to trade Melo they should trade him for a pick and expiring to rebuild.

Chronz
06-16-2016, 05:01 PM
I definitely think the Cavs should be looking to trade Love, Melo would be an upgrade for them given the situation. If they can get like Ibaka or Milsap and a wing 3/D player it might be a little better than Melo probably though.

That's ALOT better imo. Might be underrating Melo and his elite catch and shoot game but Bron needs someone to let him play the 4 while never defending the position. That's milsap and ibaka.

Chronz
06-16-2016, 05:07 PM
If Melo is going to be a third option, which he would and should be, is he really going to be that effective?

Unlike Love, he can catch and shoot quickly and hes more mobile and doesn't need plays as much called for him to get his own. The problems come on the boards and possibly defensively.

mngopher35
06-16-2016, 05:10 PM

That's ALOT better imo. Might be underrating Melo and his elite catch and shoot game but Bron needs someone to let him play the 4 while never defending the position. That's milsap and ibaka.

Haha that's fair. I guess I feel like melo actually would be alright with less opportunities but more wide open shots. I could see him playing very well off Lebron. He seemed to put in effort on the other end when I watched this ye too, although he wouldn't be great or anything there.

I do agree that the pfs mentioned fit very well though and if you also can get a wing I can see it being a lot better than melo.

beasted86
06-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Carmelo is not waiving his no-trade clause to live in Cleveland. At least that's how most of the media has portrayed the situation.

Bostonjorge
06-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Love to Boston for

Bradley
Amir Johnson
16th pick

Cleveland comes out like bandits

eDush
06-16-2016, 07:13 PM
Carmelo is not waiving his no-trade clause to live in Cleveland. At least that's how most of the media has portrayed the situation.
I stayed in upstate before and ride the subway daily but I never been to Cleveland. No jokes but there is nothing to do there so Melo would be bored :(.

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2016, 07:18 PM
I'd rather have Love.

Melo doesn't move the ball as well, he's not as strong a 3-pt shooter (throughout his career) and he's not as good a rebounder.

If they move Love, they should pursue a sign-and-trade for Durant. LBJ can move to PF and Thompson to C.

If you move Love, you want a front court player who is 3-pt shooter who can pass. This is wear the game is headed. To get an iso player like Melo or Harden would further burden the team when they already have two iso players in Kyrie and LBJ.

NYKnickFanatic
06-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Melo is not leaving NY. He won't waive his no trade clause. Guys, Melo is a business man. NY has/is giving him so many business opportunities to set him up a nice living after his career is over.

More-Than-Most
06-16-2016, 10:12 PM
The cavs need a 2 way player... not another no defense guy who loves to play iso ball

LongIslandIcedZ
06-16-2016, 10:46 PM
I don't understand the point for new York. Love does very little. Maybe a 3 way looping in Boston.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GiantsSwaGG
06-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Love and KP would be a horrible fit

Rc718
06-16-2016, 10:54 PM
Makes tons of sense for Cleveland. Zero sense for the Knicks.

42-15-7
06-16-2016, 11:12 PM
Melo is not leaving NY. He won't waive his no trade clause. Guys, Melo is a business man. NY has/is giving him so many business opportunities to set him up a nice living after his career is over.

Normally I would agree with you, but not winning a ring means you're not even in the conversation. Barkley was a great player, but nobody even mentions his name when it comes to all-time greats.

'Melo may decide to stay in NY, but that's a long rebuild and he's already turning into Kobe. Sucking up all the money, demanding respect, and jacking up shots all over the damn place.

If he wants a ring, he's going to have to leave NYC.

numba1CHANGsta
06-17-2016, 12:29 AM
Love for Melo
Thompson for Wade
Shumpert for Cousins

and it still wouldn't be enough for LeBron to win the title in CLE

greg_ory_2005
06-17-2016, 01:13 AM
Love for Melo
Thompson for Wade
Shumpert for Cousins

Um ok...

Jeffy25
06-17-2016, 02:11 AM
I don't see the fits for either team

Jeffy25
06-17-2016, 02:12 AM
But Love needs to be traded

More-Than-Most
06-17-2016, 03:30 AM
Love for Melo
Thompson for Wade
Shumpert for Cousins

Sunday Bro.... Sunday. Lebron only needs lebron to get a ring

Tony_Starks
06-17-2016, 09:02 AM
And btw there's no way in HELL LaLa allows him to go to Cleveland. She'd let him go to the Clippers before he goes to Cleveland.

Happy gold digger wife, happy life!

ManningToTyree
06-17-2016, 10:04 AM
Love doesn't fit the Knicks Krisptaps isn't ready to play fulltime center anyway

rhymeratic
06-17-2016, 11:27 AM
It actually doesn't make sense from a basketball standpoint. What you're basically seeing from the Cavs is they don't need another big time scorer in the starting lineup. They need a player who can come off the bench as the 6th man and essentially be able to have the offense run through him. Think James Harden when he was on OKC.

It really doesn't totally matter what position that ends up being. However if you're gung-ho on getting someone who would be a starter, that player would need to have a low utilization rate but hustle and still could pop out for a 3pt shot. I would vote for trading for Al Horford

rhymeratic
06-17-2016, 11:28 AM
the cavs need a 2 way player... Not another no defense guy who loves to play iso ball

al horford

lavell12
06-17-2016, 04:07 PM
I don't see Melo living in Cleveland but I do think he could go to Miami. If all checks out how about a three team deal Melo to Miami- Bosh to Cleveland and Love to NY with other pieces included?

FlashBolt
06-17-2016, 04:16 PM
I think you guys are missing the point. The Cavs do need another scorer because LeBron James doesn't have to be that scorer. I'd like to see him play a Magic-like role. He hasn't been able to do that because he's always being forced to score the ball due to inept teammates. It's pretty evident that the Cavs need to improve defensively but Melo's defense is underrated. I'd stick LeBron in the PF and have Melo play SF. All I know is, Love has to go. There is practically no use of him any longer for this Cavs team. He can be a 20/10/4 player all he wants on a garbage team but until he takes it upon himself to play better, it's on him.

Crackadalic
06-18-2016, 03:27 PM
The cavs need a 2 way player... not another no defense guy who loves to play iso ball

Melo kept his opponents to 43% shooting last year so nice try. Try watching games and doing research before posting.

He led the team in assist. That's the point guards job not his.

Sportsguy9695
06-18-2016, 03:33 PM

What do you think ?
i agree with you 100 percent. Melo is desperate to win and going to Cleveland would boost his chances. as for love I wouldn't mind seeing him suit up for the knicks

Raps08-09 Champ
06-19-2016, 11:53 AM
I don't think it's the greatest fit out there. They might get by based on talent but iunno.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Melo kept his opponents to 43% shooting last year so nice try. Try watching games and doing research before posting.

He led the team in assist. That's the point guards job not his.

Don't like most wing players shoot around 43-46% anyway?

IKnowHoops
06-19-2016, 12:25 PM
And btw there's no way in HELL LaLa allows him to go to Cleveland. She'd let him go to the Clippers before he goes to Cleveland.

Happy gold digger wife, happy life!

I think playing on Lebron's championship contending team is worth more than playing in any city in today's NBA.

IKnowHoops
06-19-2016, 12:27 PM
I don't see Melo living in Cleveland but I do think he could go to Miami. If all checks out how about a three team deal Melo to Miami- Bosh to Cleveland and Love to NY with other pieces included?

Who is gonna trade for a guy who has blood clots and has a career that is up in the air?!

TheNumber37
06-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Why does it make sense for NY.

They just watched Kevin Love in the finals where he is averaging 8 points and 6 rebounds.

Melo would have that in the 1st quarter of most games as a Cav.

IF KP moves full time to Center (not gonna happen for about 10 years.. see KG, Duncan, Dirk, Pau)
Why would you want Kevin Love at the 4 when you could have Melo who can create more because he has the ability to drive the basketball whereas Kevin Love does not.

Shammyguy3
06-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Why does it make sense for NY.

They just watched Kevin Love in the finals where he is averaging 8 points and 6 rebounds.

Melo would have that in the 1st quarter of most games as a Cav.

IF KP moves full time to Center (not gonna happen for about 10 years.. see KG, Duncan, Dirk, Pau)
Why would you want Kevin Love at the 4 when you could have Melo who can create more because he has the ability to drive the basketball whereas Kevin Love does not.

Context and team fit matter. And you can't honestly say Melo averages 8/6 in the first quarter as a Cav. That means you think he's gonna average better numbers over a whole game than his career, as a second or third option to boot

MELO 15
06-19-2016, 03:31 PM
Context and team fit matter. And you can't honestly say Melo averages 8/6 in the first quarter as a Cav. That means you think he's gonna average better numbers over a whole game than his career, as a second or third option to boot

Ummmmmmm yeah, go watch him on team USA, when he didn't have to be that guy (#1 option) he was arguably the best player on the team. And for those saying he would be the 2nd option on that Cavs team doesn't know basketball.
1) LeBron's roll would be that of magic, where he becomes a facilitator
2) Melo is easily a better scorer than kyrie
3) We can all agree that this is lebron team right, we can also agree that lebron relationship with Melo is greater to Melo than that of kyrie, so if that's the case, who do you think would be fed the ball for shot attempts more, kyrie or Melo?
Use your noggins people!

What wouldn't surprise me only because this is lebrons team, would be this scenario.
Melo gets traded for Love
Cp3 would be trade for kyrie
D wade is a free agent and signs with the Cavs

And the starting lineup would be
Pg) Cp3
Sg) D wade
Sf) LBJ
Pf) Melo
C) T. Thompson
With shump, Jr, RJ, & C. Frye coming of the bench.
Chances of that happening is slim to none, but with lebron as your gm, it's very possible.

Shammyguy3
06-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Ummmmmmm yeah, go watch him on team USA, when he didn't have to be that guy (#1 option) he was arguably the best player on the team. And for those saying he would be the 2nd option on that Cavs team doesn't know basketball.
1) LeBron's roll would be that of magic, where he becomes a facilitator
2) Melo is easily a better scorer than kyrie
3) We can all agree that this is lebron team right, we can also agree that lebron relationship with Melo is greater to Melo than that of kyrie, so if that's the case, who do you think would be fed the ball for shot attempts more, kyrie or Melo?
Use your noggins people!

What wouldn't surprise me only because this is lebrons team, would be this scenario.
Melo gets traded for Love
Cp3 would be trade for kyrie
D wade is a free agent and signs with the Cavs

And the starting lineup would be
Pg) Cp3
Sg) D wade
Sf) LBJ
Pf) Melo
C) T. Thompson
With shump, Jr, RJ, & C. Frye coming of the bench.
Chances of that happening is slim to none, but with lebron as your gm, it's very possible.

First, how does playing the Olympics help your argument that he would average 8/6 in most first quarters when the context of the NBA is far different (more physical play, farther three point line, etc). So, how Melo played in the Olympics 4 seasons ago when he was 28, instead of 32, doesn't help your argument here.

Lebron's roll was anticipated to be the exact same thing in Miami when he had a prime Wade and Bosh, both arguably better than a prime Melo which a 32 year old Melo is not.

The "easily better scorer" between Melo and Irving is not an argument you can make. If you want to say Melo > Irving as a scorer, fine. But it's not clear like you claim it to be.

Even when Melo's usage rate was over 35%, he still didn't average 30 points a game. Which is what you're saying he would be, based on an 8 points per 1st quarter average that would be easy for him to do according to you. Even at Melo's highest rebounding rate of his career, he only averaged 7 per game. You're claiming Melo would be a near 30/10++++ player if he was on the Cavs, which is not possible if he's never done that when his teams absolutely needed him to do it.

jimm120
06-19-2016, 04:54 PM
First, how does playing the Olympics help your argument that he would average 8/6 in most first quarters when the context of the NBA is far different (more physical play, farther three point line, etc). So, how Melo played in the Olympics 4 seasons ago when he was 28, instead of 32, doesn't help your argument here.

Lebron's roll was anticipated to be the exact same thing in Miami when he had a prime Wade and Bosh, both arguably better than a prime Melo which a 32 year old Melo is not.

The "easily better scorer" between Melo and Irving is not an argument you can make. If you want to say Melo > Irving as a scorer, fine. But it's not clear like you claim it to be.

Even when Melo's usage rate was over 35%, he still didn't average 30 points a game. Which is what you're saying he would be, based on an 8 points per 1st quarter average that would be easy for him to do according to you. Even at Melo's highest rebounding rate of his career, he only averaged 7 per game. You're claiming Melo would be a near 30/10++++ player if he was on the Cavs, which is not possible if he's never done that when his teams absolutely needed him to do it.

Lol. Bosh was never considered better than Melo lol.

First of all, no way Knicks trade Melo for Love or whatever Love can bring back.
Second, Melo would probably be the leading scorer in a team with Lebron.