PDA

View Full Version : If Wade had been drafted by Detroit

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2016, 01:24 PM
While Dwayne Wade is regarded as one of the best SGs of all time, he is clearly ranked behind MJ and Kobe.

How would his career arc have differed we he drafted by the Pistons though? One might fairly assume that aside from winning the title in '04, the Pistons would have likely won in 05 as well, given that having an All-Star calibre player like Wade in place of Darko would have given them a clear edge over the Spurs.

And what of 06? With Wade still in Detroit, the only opposition the they faced that year was the Heat, who were powered behind Shaq and Wade. That likely would have been a 3-peat for the Pistons (assuming they held on to Ben).

From there on it would be difficult to discern what would have happened, but Wade would have had three championships in his first three seasons. Detroit would have been a destination for ring-chasers. And if Riley were as convincing as many believe him to be, he still could have pulled off a coup and brought LBJ and Wade together with the likes of Melo or Bosh (whoever the Heat happened to draft that year.... assuming they didn't draft Darko).

With a start like that, it would have been hard to not view Wade as a player on parity terms with the likes of Kobe.

What do you think Wade's career could have been like were he drafted by Detroit?

Hawkeye15
06-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Sure, I think he probably wins more in Detroit. I am not sure he becomes the one man wrecking crew he became with so much put on his shoulders, but he is obviously a large upgrade over Rip on those teams. On both ends.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-16-2016, 01:29 PM
This thread is better suited for Melo, since he was the clear cut #2 player that should've been drafted #2 at the time over Darko. I still to this day have no idea what Det saw in Darko that propelled them to take Darko over anyone else in the top 10 of that draft.

For your thread, nothing much would've changed with Wade's career outside of where he played. He still is a 3x Champion, his numbers would've eventually been the same, but would have had a slower rise to his peak #'s due to the team around him.

Chronz
06-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Perception equals reality according to many here, so yeah, he would have been a greater/better player.

Im starting to think the NBA should change the draft format. Make it so the first team to miss the playoffs gets the best odds, send these guys to .500 squads where they can make a name for themselves rather than asking them to carry teams intentionally trying to lose. Incentivize mediocrity and you will solve tanking, give these teams a reason to strive for the 9th seed.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Perception equals reality according to many here, so yeah, he would have been a greater/better player.

Im starting to think the NBA should change the draft format. Make it so the first team to miss the playoffs gets the best odds, send these guys to .500 squads where they can make a name for themselves rather than asking them to carry teams intentionally trying to lose. Incentivize mediocrity and you will solve tanking, give these teams a reason to strive for the 9th seed.

how many teams actually just tank a season though? You would keep the bad teams bad forever.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2016, 01:41 PM
This thread is better suited for Melo, since he was the clear cut #2 player that should've been drafted #2 at the time over Darko. I still to this day have no idea what Det saw in Darko that propelled them to take Darko over anyone else in the top 10 of that draft.

For your thread, nothing much would've changed with Wade's career outside of where he played. He still is a 3x Champion, his numbers would've eventually been the same, but would have had a slower rise to his peak #'s due to the team around him.

Darko probably looked AMAZING running around cones dribbling the ball dude.

IndyRealist
06-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Sure, I think he probably wins more in Detroit. I am not sure he becomes the one man wrecking crew he became with so much put on his shoulders, but he is obviously a large upgrade over Rip on those teams. On both ends.
But I feel like that team needed spacing from Rip, as much as it needed defense from Tayshaun. I just don't see how Wade cracks that starting lineup.

xxplayerxx23
06-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Wade doesn't start year one, wade prob starts soon after. I think like one guy said better suited for melo, melo would have at least 2 rings easily imo

Hawkeye15
06-16-2016, 01:57 PM
But I feel like that team needed spacing from Rip, as much as it needed defense from Tayshaun. I just don't see how Wade cracks that starting lineup.

he doesn't early, but a talent like Wade finds a huge role regardless. Remember too, Flip's offense is tailor made for mid range shooters, of which Wade is awesome at.

MonroeFAN
06-16-2016, 02:16 PM

Darko was the consensus #2 pick. I appreciate that hindsight has made insiders out of everyone, but that's why he was picked.

Wade likely wouldn't have had many individual accomplishments, but maybe wins a few more championships. Tough to say. As a non Wade fan, I'm quite happy not having him as part of our history.

KnicksorBust
06-16-2016, 02:44 PM
While Dwayne Wade is regarded as one of the best SGs of all time, he is clearly ranked behind MJ and Kobe.

How would his career arc have differed we he drafted by the Pistons though? One might fairly assume that aside from winning the title in '04, the Pistons would have likely won in 05 as well, given that having an All-Star calibre player like Wade in place of Darko would have given them a clear edge over the Spurs.

And what of 06? With Wade still in Detroit, the only opposition the they faced that year was the Heat, who were powered behind Shaq and Wade. That likely would have been a 3-peat for the Pistons (assuming they held on to Ben).

From there on it would be difficult to discern what would have happened, but Wade would have had three championships in his first three seasons. Detroit would have been a destination for ring-chasers. And if Riley were as convincing as many believe him to be, he still could have pulled off a coup and brought LBJ and Wade together with the likes of Melo or Bosh (whoever the Heat happened to draft that year.... assuming they didn't draft Darko).

With a start like that, it would have been hard to not view Wade as a player on parity terms with the likes of Kobe.

What do you think Wade's career could have been like were he drafted by Detroit?

I don't really think his all-time ranking would have changed that much. He did a lot more for his legacy with his title in 06 than he would have as a 6th man for the Pistons. He would have slowly taken over that team but that window wouldn't have lasted forever. He probably never plays with LeBron. He'd be ranked about the same he is now.

Melo in Detroit would have been something special to see. He's been forced to play the LeBron/Kobe/MJ role on every team he's played with and he's just never been on their level.

KnicksorBust
06-16-2016, 02:46 PM

But what would YOUR perception have been?

how many teams actually just tank a season though? You would keep the bad teams bad forever.

Yeah as much as people get mad at the Sixers, teams like the Lakers, Kings, my Knicks, etc. wanted to make the playoffs this year. It's hardly an epidemic.

KnicksorBust
06-16-2016, 03:02 PM

Even if he was the 6th man it wouldn't have lasted long and Prince would have been benched in crunch time for him. Rip can guard wings and plus there was the fact that Wade was... ya know... better than every player in the starting lineup.

Darko was the consensus #2 pick. I appreciate that hindsight has made insiders out of everyone, but that's why he was picked.

Wade likely wouldn't have had many individual accomplishments, but maybe wins a few more championships. Tough to say. As a non Wade fan, I'm quite happy not having him as part of our history.

Melo thought he was going to Detroit. He was told by someone they were taking him. Plus you had teams offering to trade up. I don't think anyone can say with certainty that Darko was the consensus pick there.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-16-2016, 03:49 PM

Disagree that he was the consensus #2. Melo was coming off an extremely successful 1 year of college. Darko was known to be a project. No hindsight was needed and Detroit got a lot of criticism for the pick immediately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Monta is beast
06-16-2016, 04:33 PM
If melo got drafted by det he probably ends up being a much better player because he would have had to learn how to play winning ball right away

Chronz
06-16-2016, 04:55 PM
If melo got drafted by det he probably ends up being a much better player because he would have had to learn how to play winning ball right away
You mean "the right way"? Would he have been happy off the bench, cuz if LB did that to him in the Olympics why not in Detroit? Hes not exactly known as a rookie lover. And he left very quickly. Coaching was never Melos problem, it's always been his skillet not matching his talent. He never did learn how to pass and basically every year he's put in legit effort defensively, he's had down years in terms of offensive efficiency.

Honestly, his ideal scenario was in Denver, i was actually gonna make a thread about it and Will someday.

IndyRealist
06-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Even if he was the 6th man it wouldn't have lasted long and Prince would have been benched in crunch time for him. Rip can guard wings and plus there was the fact that Wade was... ya know... better than every player in the starting lineup.

If they sit Rip, then they lose spacing that let Rasheed and Chauncey operate. If they bench Prince, they take a drastic hit in their #1 rated defense and Billups doesn't have the ball in his hands.

Since we're speculating, if Wade got drafted by Detriot I suspect he gets traded for someone to replace Ben Wallace when he left in 2006.

beasted86
06-16-2016, 06:10 PM
I have no opinion on any of these hypothetical type threads, but on an individual level it's totally laughable to suggest in any parallel universe Carmelo is better for any team than Wade.

A guy who is consistently worse in efficiency and much worse on defense, much worse sharing the ball, but somehow his career 34% 3P% (31% thru first 8 seasons with Denver) makes him a better fit everywhere, LOL.

Jeffy25
06-16-2016, 06:27 PM

How many teams really tank every year though?

And then wouldn't you almost rather be the 9 seed than the 8 seed when you are one and done?

Wouldn't you rather ever team that is in the lottery have an equal chance for every pick?

Stunner
06-16-2016, 06:28 PM
You mean "the right way"? Would he have been happy off the bench, cuz if LB did that to him in the Olympics why not in Detroit? Hes not exactly known as a rookie lover. And he left very quickly. Coaching was never Melos problem, it's always been his skillet not matching his talent. He never did learn how to pass and basically every year he's put in legit effort defensively, he's had down years in terms of offensive efficiency.

Honestly, his ideal scenario was in Denver, i was actually gonna make a thread about it and Will someday.

Melo would have started on the Pistons , sheed got traded for in Feb 2004 and prob wouldn't be because of Melo . But if he did he did come off the bench for the 2nd half he would have been another dynamic scorer for them .

Stunner
06-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Here's a lengthy video of if Melo got drafted by Detroit https://youtu.be/rBrj-sm9EvE

europagnpilgrim
06-16-2016, 06:59 PM

The nba is a business and it does what's best for the league as a whole, Detroit was sitting pretty winning wise with the no 2 pick while Denver was starving for a franchise changer, enter Melo

from a pure basketball talent perspective of course we are befuddled on how it went down but from a pure business standpoint the entire league won as Denver went from 17 or so win team to playoffs that year, $$$revenue/nice story to run across the league on how a player can change a franchise in 1 year

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2016, 07:21 PM

Darko was high on everybody's list. Most teams would have taken him at 2. People knew he would need time to develop, but he was an incredible shot blocker, and teams always want bigs.

In hindsight it seems silly, but most of the mock drafts had him going high. Besides.... Detroit was in contention already; they figured they had the time to let him develop because they were so deep.

The problem is that having Larry Brown as a coach killed his confidence because Brown hates playing rookies. If he was drafted by an actual lottery team with a good player development coach, he'd still be in the league today.

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2016, 07:23 PM

He wouldn't be in the starting line-up at first. He played PG and SG (more PG his first two year), so he would have backed up Billups and Hamilton.

He would have been perfect fit in the rotation, though you are correct in terms of the spacing Hamilton provided.

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2016, 07:30 PM
If they sit Rip, then they lose spacing that let Rasheed and Chauncey operate. If they bench Prince, they take a drastic hit in their #1 rated defense and Billups doesn't have the ball in his hands.

Since we're speculating, if Wade got drafted by Detriot I suspect he gets traded for someone to replace Ben Wallace when he left in 2006.

I think what a lot of people forget is that Wade played PG the first couple of years, but was a very capable SG as well. With Rip and Chauncy starting, he would have made the backcourt rotation one of the greatest ever. He could spot Rip and Chauncy, which would have been a significant improvement over Lindesy Hunter and Mike James.

Chronz
06-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Melo would have started on the Pistons , sheed got traded for in Feb 2004 and prob wouldn't be because of Melo . But if he did he did come off the bench for the 2nd half he would have been another dynamic scorer for them .
Sheed played pf. Melo played sf. Its impossible to argue he would've started over tay when tay was the reason they passed on him to begin with.

Melo wasn't a willing defender for most of his career, doubt that flies in motown

Chronz
06-16-2016, 10:00 PM
He wouldn't be in the starting line-up at first. He played PG and SG (more PG his first two year), so he would have backed up Billups and Hamilton.

He would have been perfect fit in the rotation, though you are correct in terms of the spacing Hamilton provided.

Spacing? This ain't ray allen here. Wade would've started after 1 year. Wade provides more quality shots for guys like sheed and Chauncey from 3. Pistons won with defense and wade ***** on rip there.

Chronz
06-16-2016, 10:03 PM
How many teams really tank every year though?

And then wouldn't you almost rather be the 9 seed than the 8 seed when you are one and done?

Wouldn't you rather ever team that is in the lottery have an equal chance for every pick?
Whatever that number is, there would be significantly less tanking. In any system there are losers so i dont really care about that.

I think it's better for basketball when the best prospects aren't asked to carry squads. Iys awesome when penny Joins shaq. Or when rose joined Chicago. Magic to la.

Jeffy25
06-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Whatever that number is, there would be significantly less tanking. In any system there are losers so i dont really care about that.

I think it's better for basketball when the best prospects aren't asked to carry squads. Iys awesome when penny Joins shaq. Or when rose joined Chicago. Magic to la.

Duncan to the Spurs....

Now you have prima Dona kids trying to determine their futures and working out for specific teams or only releasing their medicals to some teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dade County
06-16-2016, 10:37 PM

No disrespect, but a Mod needs to lock this thread.

#WadeHEATlLifer

No alternate realities needed, thank you.

lol

SportsFanatic10
06-19-2016, 02:11 AM
I mean, it's hard to get into the hypotheticals, but they would of had a hall of famer instead of a bust. I don't see how any Detroit fan could be happy about that no matter what they would of or could of won. That's just the simple truth of the matter.