PDA

View Full Version : For Commissioner Silver - changes to the game we want to see

Scoots
06-11-2016, 02:51 PM
I'd like:

A 4th ref so 2 stay high and 2 stay low, and each ref would have to cover less ground.

An emphasis on not bailing out offensive players who create contact with defenders.

Call players on flopping more often and suspend the player for 1 game after every 3 flops.

Eliminate the hack-a by the simple change of giving 3 FT attempts to make 2 after the 5th off-the-ball foul in a game.

Try to find ways to make the travel more equal. There is no way Cleveland will travel less than Golden State, but having road trips where a team goes southwest to northwest to southwest to southeast to northeast is just crazy. I know this is an incredibly complex thing to do but teams out west should get priorities in getting their travel minimized first.

Contact with the head is an automatic foul. Contact with the nuts should be an automatic flagrant 1 ... it's never necessary.

I don't know if it's possible, but the arm lock should be outlawed and if it's seen in review it should be assessed as a technical foul so players who do it habitually will start missing games.

Change the screen rules so they are easier to call, educate fans that moving during a screen is not illegal, hope the 4th ref makes calling illegal screens more consistent.

Emphasize getting holding calls right.

Emphasize getting traveling calls right.

I'm sure I missed a bunch ... any other suggestions or adjustments?

HandsOnTheWheel
06-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Eliminate the 3 pointer.

KG2TB
06-11-2016, 03:32 PM
I don't like the eliminating the arm lock rule. It's basketball and it's a physical game. If it's a foul, call the foul. It's impossible to really not get tangled at times.

I'm all in favor of coming down hard on offensive players who create contact though. It's ugly basketball. You can't jump into or lean into the defender and expect to get rewarded for it.

Unfortunately, traveling will never be a call consistently called in the NBA because there would be a stop in play every 10 seconds. The fundamentals of the game have deteriorated to the point where just calling traveling 3-4 times a game would be a huge step.

To expand on your hack-a rule, if you employ the strategy at anytime prior to the 2 minute mark in the 2nd and 4th qtr respectively, the player fouled gets 2 shots and the ball back. If you foul the same player off the ball in the following possession, it's a technical foul PLUS two free throws.

da ThRONe
06-11-2016, 05:50 PM
I like the OP list for the most part. I'd say flopping just needs to go as non calls. That's good enough to prevent it don't reward it. To me the 4th ref has become a must.

da ThRONe
06-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Also the season needs to be reduced at least 20 games. That would help the game be far more entertaining.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 08:17 PM
I don't like the eliminating the arm lock rule. It's basketball and it's a physical game. If it's a foul, call the foul. It's impossible to really not get tangled at times.

I'm all in favor of coming down hard on offensive players who create contact though. It's ugly basketball. You can't jump into or lean into the defender and expect to get rewarded for it.

Unfortunately, traveling will never be a call consistently called in the NBA because there would be a stop in play every 10 seconds. The fundamentals of the game have deteriorated to the point where just calling traveling 3-4 times a game would be a huge step.

To expand on your hack-a rule, if you employ the strategy at anytime prior to the 2 minute mark in the 2nd and 4th qtr respectively, the player fouled gets 2 shots and the ball back. If you foul the same player off the ball in the following possession, it's a technical foul PLUS two free throws.

I don't have a problem with physical, but when people are locking their arm down over another players arm to control them it's actually a foul and it should be called.

Two shots and the ball is too big a change to the game, two shots, a technical, and possession is even worse. 3 to make 2 means that the advantage of hacking really bad FT shooters is taken away because they get 3 chances to make 2 FTs (so a 50% shooter would effectively shoot 75%), but doesn't change the fundamental nature of the game, it just completely eliminates the advantage of the scheme after the 5th time it happens in the game. That 5 times includes when teams foul good FT shooters accidentally but off the ball because you can't judge intent in the flow of a game. 3 to make 2 was actually an NBA rule for a while.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 08:18 PM
I like the OP list for the most part. I'd say flopping just needs to go as non calls. That's good enough to prevent it don't reward it. To me the 4th ref has become a must.

I agree that flops should be non-calls, but sometimes refs make mistakes so there should be a punishment for the player too, particularly if the ref falls for it.

There is little I like more than a player flopping and the ref telling him to play on.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 08:26 PM
Also the season needs to be reduced at least 20 games. That would help the game be far more entertaining.

That one is unfortunately not going to happen. It would be nice if the NBA could take a page from MLB and play teams more than once back to back. The downside being that people would complain about the Warriors and Spurs playing 2 or 4 times in the first month of the season. Just play all conference opponents with multiple games each time they meet. This solution would at least make the grind much more workable and not eliminate the games they want. The Warriors could play 6 road games in 7 days in Texas with a day to travel between each opponent.

hamburger
06-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Eliminate the 3 pointer.

How old are you? Reason I ask is because I'm 37 years old and have never seen an NBA game without the 3 point line. Ever. Unless you're past your mid 40's you haven't either. Something tells me you're not a Warriors fan.

I had a really good day yesterday.

KG2TB
06-11-2016, 08:58 PM
I don't have a problem with physical, but when people are locking their arm down over another players arm to control them it's actually a foul and it should be called.

Two shots and the ball is too big a change to the game, two shots, a technical, and possession is even worse. 3 to make 2 means that the advantage of hacking really bad FT shooters is taken away because they get 3 chances to make 2 FTs (so a 50% shooter would effectively shoot 75%), but doesn't change the fundamental nature of the game, it just completely eliminates the advantage of the scheme after the 5th time it happens in the game. That 5 times includes when teams foul good FT shooters accidentally but off the ball because you can't judge intent in the flow of a game. 3 to make 2 was actually an NBA rule for a while.

You misunderstood. The first time you hack-a whoever, they get two shots and the ball. The reason for this, is it basically would eliminate the hack-a strategy until the last 2 mins of the half or the game. Here's where you misunderstood....say you hack-a whoever, they get two shots and possession again (say they miss both shots). If you employ the strategy again the very next possession, it's a technical foul plus two shots. No possession after though.

More-Than-Most
06-11-2016, 09:01 PM
i dont want a player suspended after 3 flops... i want them suspended after he flops the first time **** that.... Its a ******** trend that became much more eye opening from the vlad divac days till now.

Adding a ref is a fantastic idea

doing something about the warriors screens need to happen as well

doing something about the 3 pointers is ********... its part of the game we have to deal with it. Learn to defend it better.

There needs to be a draymond green ruling... if a player runs away from the ref flapping his arms and jumping up and down and screaming and yelling its a tech period.

5ass
06-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Mo titties plz

HandsOnTheWheel
06-11-2016, 09:19 PM
How old are you? Reason I ask is because I'm 37 years old and have never seen an NBA game without the 3 point line. Ever. Unless you're past your mid 40's you haven't either. Something tells me you're not a Warriors fan.

I had a really good day yesterday.
It was a joke.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 09:26 PM
You misunderstood. The first time you hack-a whoever, they get two shots and the ball. The reason for this, is it basically would eliminate the hack-a strategy until the last 2 mins of the half or the game. Here's where you misunderstood....say you hack-a whoever, they get two shots and possession again (say they miss both shots). If you employ the strategy again the very next possession, it's a technical foul plus two shots. No possession after though.

Okay, so I did misunderstand. I still think 2 FTs and possession goes way too far. That means if Iguodala draws an off the ball foul (he's one of the hack-a victims on the Warriors) he gets 2 FTs and then Curry can shoot a 3. That goes way too far. All it takes to get coaches to stop the tactic is to change the odds a little bit. A 55% FT shooter makes hack-a a losing proposition ... the Warriors average 1.15 points per possession so off-the-ball fouls, even accidental ones of the non hack-a variety (since hack-a is mostly 3 players) would result in many possessions more than 3 points. 3 to make 2 just makes even the worst FT shooter a break even proposal after 5 off the ball fouls in the game ... it just nudges the rules a little bit to keep coaches from going out of their minds for it.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 09:31 PM
i dont want a player suspended after 3 flops... i want them suspended after he flops the first time **** that.... Its a ******** trend that became much more eye opening from the vlad divac days till now.

Adding a ref is a fantastic idea

doing something about the warriors screens need to happen as well

doing something about the 3 pointers is ********... its part of the game we have to deal with it. Learn to defend it better.

There needs to be a draymond green ruling... if a player runs away from the ref flapping his arms and jumping up and down and screaming and yelling its a tech period.

You've got to give players time to adjust. 3 flops is fairly agressive.

Do something about all illegal screens, implying the Warriors are the only ones doing it is disingenuous, or do you really only want to keep the Warriors from doing while allowing the rest of the teams to do it?

I wouldn't mind the 3 point line being the same distance the whole way, but that's really unlikely.

I think the refs should be respected, but I think the players should be allowed to be expressive too. It's not just Green. When the refs were asked about Green they were generally positive about their interactions because they understand he's emotional but he was generally respectful of them in their dealings. I think video is not the best way to judge someone's character.

steelcityroller
06-11-2016, 09:51 PM

That would be easy. All you gotta do is rework every coach and player contract and explain to them that will be making 25% less money because of the lost revenue. That or tell the television networks and fans that they will be paying the same money for a 60-game season as they were for a 80-game season. They will understand.

More-Than-Most
06-11-2016, 09:58 PM
You've got to give players time to adjust. 3 flops is fairly agressive.

Do something about all illegal screens, implying the Warriors are the only ones doing it is disingenuous, or do you really only want to keep the Warriors from doing while allowing the rest of the teams to do it?

I wouldn't mind the 3 point line being the same distance the whole way, but that's really unlikely.

I think the refs should be respected, but I think the players should be allowed to be expressive too. It's not just Green. When the refs were asked about Green they were generally positive about their interactions because they understand he's emotional but he was generally respectful of them in their dealings. I think video is not the best way to judge someone's character.

I was only using the warriors as an example because they skirt the line with it way more than other teams... And its smart.

KG2TB
06-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Okay, so I did misunderstand. I still think 2 FTs and possession goes way too far. That means if Iguodala draws an off the ball foul (he's one of the hack-a victims on the Warriors) he gets 2 FTs and then Curry can shoot a 3. That goes way too far. All it takes to get coaches to stop the tactic is to change the odds a little bit. A 55% FT shooter makes hack-a a losing proposition ... the Warriors average 1.15 points per possession so off-the-ball fouls, even accidental ones of the non hack-a variety (since hack-a is mostly 3 players) would result in many possessions more than 3 points. 3 to make 2 just makes even the worst FT shooter a break even proposal after 5 off the ball fouls in the game ... it just nudges the rules a little bit to keep coaches from going out of their minds for it.

I don't mind your suggestion but I just hate the hack-a strategy and feel that what I proposed would essentially eliminate it which would make me happy. I don't think "accidental" ones would really come into play either.

BKLYNpigeon
06-11-2016, 10:19 PM
- 60 games a year, no more back to back games.
- 16 team playoff system
- Challenge System for teams, 2 per half, No more replays.

da ThRONe
06-11-2016, 10:37 PM
That would be easy. All you gotta do is rework every coach and player contract and explain to them that will be making 25% less money because of the lost revenue. That or tell the television networks and fans that they will be paying the same money for a 60-game season as they were for a 80-game season. They will understand.

The idea that there's less money in reducing the season is short sighted. I've went into detail before but there are so many ways the league can become more profitable reducing the season. The NFL only has 16 games and is far more profitable than the NBA.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 11:05 PM
I was only using the warriors as an example because they skirt the line with it way more than other teams... And its smart.

I figured. And I agree. The problem with people getting mad at players for taking advantage of the refs is that it's never the players fault ... if a tactic works, helps you win, and is not punished, then it will happen and it will happen more an more the longer it is not punished. My problem with the illegal screen call is that so many legal screens are called illegal by fans and the fact that it's so hard to officiate correctly with just one official up top is just brushed over.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 11:12 PM
I don't mind your suggestion but I just hate the hack-a strategy and feel that what I proposed would essentially eliminate it which would make me happy. I don't think "accidental" ones would really come into play either.

I don't think anybody likes the hack-a, including the coaches who use it most. But if a player can't hit a 3 they don't cover him at the 3 point line and give him every opportunity to take them. If a player couldn't hit a layup he wouldn't be covered there and he'd get every opportunity to shoot them. If a player can't hit a FT he's going to get every opportunity to shoot them, and the only way to do that is to foul him. All you've got to do to make it not happen is make it just a liiiiiiiitle less palatable for the statisticians and the problem goes away. 2FTs and possession means that late game tactics that have been in place since the NBA was founded would go away ... maybe we take my proposed 5 allowed off-the-ball fouls per game allowed and make it 4, or 3, but having every off the ball foul gift points and possession is too far I think ... too much change, too many point awarded to the team with a player who can't shoot FTs. I'd rather have the team get to pick who shoots the FTs than FTs AND possession.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 11:16 PM
- 60 games a year, no more back to back games.
- 16 team playoff system
- Challenge System for teams, 2 per half, No more replays.

Don't we have a 16 team playoff system now?

Scoots
06-11-2016, 11:18 PM
The idea that there's less money in reducing the season is short sighted. I've went into detail before but there are so many ways the league can become more profitable reducing the season. The NFL only has 16 games and is far more profitable than the NBA.

The contracts are by the game. That's why he said the contracts would have to be renegotiated or they would be making 25% less money ... since they are currently by game.

And I agree that fewer games can be just as profitable but it will be a mighty task to get that change done.

BKLYNpigeon
06-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Don't we have a 16 team playoff system now?

Best 16 teams in the playoffs, based on record, no more conferences.

Theres 30 teams. play each team twice, one home and one away.

60 game season.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-12-2016, 12:10 AM
Never get rid of flopping or Hack-a-Shaq. Ever.

Meth
06-12-2016, 12:25 AM
-Shorten the regular season
-Best 16 teams by record make the playoffs, no conference
-Either revamp all star weekend, or get rid of it

Kush McDaniels
06-12-2016, 12:47 AM
flopping needs to be reviewed

da ThRONe
06-12-2016, 09:13 AM
The contracts are by the game. That's why he said the contracts would have to be renegotiated or they would be making 25% less money ... since they are currently by game.

And I agree that fewer games can be just as profitable but it will be a mighty task to get that change done.

It would be on the networks to offer the same revenue. However they measure the value in ratings not amount of games. If they could get twice the ratings in half the games the networks would be all on board they'd cut an even bigger check.

Scoots
06-12-2016, 11:43 AM
It would be on the networks to offer the same revenue. However they measure the value in ratings not amount of games. If they could get twice the ratings in half the games the networks would be all on board they'd cut an even bigger check.

Games = opportunities to sell time. So the networks do care about # of games too.

I don't think the next round of TV deals are going to be anywhere close to what they were over the last few years. The Dodgers situation is just the first of many of it's kind. Cord cutters are starting to spread and the huge deals given to sports is accelerating TV sports decline. Professional athletes are going to be making less money in the near future as people's attention is further split and the younger generations are less and less likely to pay as much for content.

Aust
06-12-2016, 03:49 PM
An emphasis on not bailing out offensive players who create contact with defenders.

Call players on flopping more often and suspend the player for 1 game after every 3 flops.

Yes please

KingstonHawke
06-15-2016, 02:52 AM
For a very long time I've been saying that they need to expand the D-League, and make high school players have to be 3 years removed before entering the NBA with the exception of only being 1 year removed if they go to the d-league.

Anyone familiar with the WWE see's that NXT basically did this same thing and it's worked amazingly. It benefits the NCAA by giving the players who go more time to gain exposure. It benefits the players who are worth being paid by allowing them an avenue to be paid for their craft. And it benefits the NBA by letting them capitalize on all those super talented players that are going to the NCAA.

But this really isn't even the half. Expanding the D-league turns it into a league that can survive on it's own. Players like Anthony Bennett could still turn a profit for the league instead of asking the idiot Cavs to simply swallow that investment.

It would be a money making machine! And relatively easy/cheap to pull off. Just thinking about how many times I've seen amazing talents disappear because they weren't good enough to play in the NBA, and their college eligibility either ran out or they had to make the jump due to financial or grade considerations. Talk about turning poop into gold.