PDA

View Full Version : Worst possible team USA can send to win gold?

Chronz
06-10-2016, 06:25 PM
With lots of stars bowing out this year, I got to thinking about a possible C squad. Assemble your team of Olympians with one caveat, Cousins has to be on the squad because hes the only one I know who is actually going. Try to stick to youngsters who could use the experience or vets that aren't nursing injuries and could use the exposure.

Im thinking a team of guys who are fed up with losing and/or being under appreciated, John Wall is pissed at not making an All-NBA team the last 2 years and will seek the recognition, and hes great friends with Cousins. So those 2 are my pillars of the C-Squad.

At SG Im thinking a guy like Beal would suffice, he has a weird infatuation with long 2's that hurt his NBA stock but in FIBA those are worth 3PTS. Hes a decent defender and if you pair him with a PG that can shoot hes actually a great secondary playmaker.

SF: I dont know, Barnes? No true SF prospect that I like here so Im hoping a vet fills in (Melo would be awesome).

PF Draymond Green

Cousins

Bench:
G: George Hill, KCP
F: Crowder, Middleton
C: Plumlee (the gooder one)

Procision
06-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Butler said he was all in for the Olympics.

DboneG
06-10-2016, 06:42 PM
You can send the worse possible team...as long as they are starters in the NBA, they will win the gold. That's just how good USA basketball is.

Cousins is a beast! He's a great selection.

Chronz
06-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Butler said he was all in for the Olympics.

Fits the profile but I thought he would be nursing an injury cuz he was pretty awful during the 2nd half of the year IIRC.

DboneG
06-10-2016, 06:47 PM
There's talk about not allowing the NBA players to play in the Olympics. Then, we will see some real competition from other countries.

Procision
06-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Fits the profile but I thought he would be nursing an injury cuz he was pretty awful during the 2nd half of the year IIRC.

Helps when you don't make playoffs and have had a long layoff already lol.

Meth
06-10-2016, 07:04 PM
I think Paul George will play as well.

Chronz
06-10-2016, 07:11 PM
There's talk about not allowing the NBA players to play in the Olympics. Then, we will see some real competition from other countries.

Canada is coming. The game has grown to the point where its hard to blow out everyone so I dont think itsthe layup you insist.

FlashBolt
06-10-2016, 07:14 PM
The Warriors would be able to win the Olympics, to be honest.

Lakers + Giants
06-10-2016, 07:22 PM
SF: Hayward?

Chronz
06-10-2016, 07:27 PM
The Warriors would be able to win the Olympics, to be honest.

Couldn't most (all)champs?

FOXHOUND
06-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Durant and George said they were in, so that's a pretty good start. Cousins was upset about missing out so he should be there. WB just dropped out today, joining Curry, Paul and Wall. Anthony Davis and LMA are also out due to injuries. I would say,

PG - Damian Lillard
SG - James Harden
SF - Paul George
PF - Kevin Durant
C - DeMarcus Cousins

USA basketball so stacked :flag:

JasonJohnHorn
06-10-2016, 09:59 PM
You can send the worse possible team...as long as they are starters in the NBA, they will win the gold. That's just how good USA basketball is.

JasonJohnHorn
06-10-2016, 10:14 PM
As long as they aren't sending Austin Rivers to start at SG they should be ok.

But 2004 proved that they are not unbeatable. mean... if you have DMC doing against a healthy pair of Gasol brothers, the power forward playing next to him better be awesome or he won't be winning that match-up.

archdevil84
06-10-2016, 10:23 PM
is lebron not playing this time? i remember he said he was stil thinking about it or something?

archdevil84
06-10-2016, 10:26 PM
i remember the 2012 squad. that was the first year i realy started following the NBA and watching games and i absolutely loved the olympics. i realy liked that team (if only wade wouldve played instead of harden it wouldve been perfect). now its looking like everyone is backing off for some lame reason. whats wrong with these guys?

ROY 2 MVP Braun
06-10-2016, 10:34 PM
i remember the 2012 squad. that was the first year i realy started following the NBA and watching games and i absolutely loved the olympics. i realy liked that team (if only wade wouldve played instead of harden it wouldve been perfect). now its looking like everyone is backing off for some lame reason. whats wrong with these guys?

Alot of those guys have played in the Olympics and fiba for the last 12 years every other year and are getting older. Now it's time for the young stars of the nba to step up and do it like rose, wade, lebron, melo did years ago.

DanG
06-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Lillard
Leonard
PG
Durant
Cousins

Maybe they send something like this, this is not answering the question because they could send alot worse teams there and still win. I think Cousins + KD or PG and role players should already be enough to win.

Monta is beast
06-11-2016, 03:19 AM
Just send kevin love and we'll lose forsure

Chronz
06-11-2016, 03:44 AM
Just send kevin love and we'll lose forsurei Remember when he first made the club. Coach k saw fit to bury him and even favored Blake before His injury

NYKalltheway
06-11-2016, 04:14 AM
If Durant and Curry aren't part of the team, it won't be an easy trip.

xxplayerxx23
06-11-2016, 08:15 AM
As long as they aren't sending Austin Rivers to start at SG they should be ok.

But 2004 proved that they are not unbeatable. mean... if you have DMC doing against a healthy pair of Gasol brothers, the power forward playing next to him better be awesome or he won't be winning that match-up.

Lol dmc can handle his own against marc. I'm not worried about Spain at all, we can send out a full B squad and win easy

xxplayerxx23
06-11-2016, 08:16 AM

They are getting older and need the offseason to rest and get into shape for the next season. It's not lame at all.

xxplayerxx23
06-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Dame/wall whichever starts
Butler/beal
PG/Hayward
Green/Can't think of backup
CousIns/ can't think of backup right now
No way that team loses

TheNumber37
06-11-2016, 09:09 AM

What about the year we won bronze with all NBA starters.

Don't discount the power of Spain's frontline.

J_M_B
06-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Lillard - Conley - Irving
Klay - Butler
Leonard - George - Hayward
Green - Melo
Cousins - Millsap

Yanks All Day
06-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Take the best 10 players from Duke and Kentucky and they compete. Probably take home the bronze. Give them a star SF like Paul George or Kevin Durant as their only pro and they least make the title game, if not win it all.

Seriously, who would give them a game? Canada and Spain? That's about it. The rest of the teams in world have not gotten any better. We're a long way from 2004, when most international players we recognize were in their primes. International talent in the NBA isn't Spain-centric anymore. There are a lot of one-off guys playing from random countries. Canada has gotten significantly better. And that's all.

NYKalltheway
06-11-2016, 11:37 AM
France might be an obstacle. If they manage to qualify.

Greece is not good anymore. Serbia is similar to Greece but with more talent at this point, based on the team selection. I think those 3 are the teams to qualify from the tournament. Not sure on Croatia's chances. Greece might not make it really.

Spain and Lithuania could do damage in a one-off situation but odds are against them. Lithuania is not consistent anymore anyways. Canada is no threat to the US team. It's basically a lesser team USA so whatever they do they'll be inferior. They don't offer a brand of basketball that the American players aren't accustomed to and they're not as deep or have as much quality.

The World Cup is a far better tournament, I get that the Olympics is the highest honor for an athlete, but the competition just isn't there. You need both Brazil and ARgentina to be present and you need at least 6-7 European countries to be competing. Africa and Asia are very far off in terms of talent. Hopefully players will opt in to the next World Cup instead of treating it as an inferior competition. That applies to all players, not just US ones.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 12:01 PM
You can only choose from the list of official USA Basketball players since nobody else was at the required practices.

According to Team USA Basketball the roster is to be chosen from this list and nobody else:

LaMarcus Aldridge (San Antonio Spurs); Anthony; Harrison Barnes (Golden State Warriors); Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards); Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls); Mike Conley (Memphis Grizzlies); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings); Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors); Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans); DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors); Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons); Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder); Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets); Rudy Gay (Sacramento Kings); Paul George (Indiana Pacers); Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors); Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers); James Harden (Houston Rockets); Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz); Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets); Andre Iguodala (Golden State Warriors); Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers); James; DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers); Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs); Kevin Love (Cleveland Cavaliers); Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors); John Wall (Washington Wizards); Damian Lillard (Portland Trailblazers); and Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder).

So choose the bottom 12 from them and yeah, they should dominate.

warfelg
06-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Dame/wall whichever starts
Butler/beal
PG/Hayward
Green/Can't think of backup
CousIns/ can't think of backup right now
No way that team loses

To be honest I know this will get laughed at, but there's a Sixer on the select team that would make a really damn good backup FIBA 4. And that is Jerami Grant. Good defender, strong rebounder good cutter, getting better with his shot from 3.

Sadds The Gr8
06-11-2016, 10:31 PM
The teams u guys are naming are way too good IMO.

Worst team:

Wall/Conley
Klay/Derozan
George/Hayward
Draymond/Melo
Boogie/Drummond

only 1 top 10 player (George) in the NBA on that team.

Scoots
06-12-2016, 02:41 AM
The teams u guys are naming are way too good IMO.

Worst team:

Wall/Conley
Klay/Derozan
George/Hayward
Draymond/Melo
Boogie/Drummond

only 1 top 10 player (George) in the NBA on that team.

Actually, based on MVP voting the only top 10 player in that list is Green.

Sadds The Gr8
06-12-2016, 02:59 AM
Actually, based on MVP voting the only top 10 player in that list is Green.
If u wanna go by that then fine. Still only 1 top 10 player. U guys would easily win with that lineup