PDA

View Full Version : Should the All-NBA team forgo positions?

JasonJohnHorn
06-10-2016, 05:03 PM
A number of people were stupefied that deAndre Jordan was on the All-NBA First team (second All-NBA appearance without an All-Star nod), and dismayed that Harden did not make any of the teams.

Is this a sign that it is time for the NBA to drop the positions and simply vote for the five best players in the league, regardless of position? If there's four SFs on the team and a PG... who cares?

What are your thoughts?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Do what the ASG does.

archdevil84
06-10-2016, 05:21 PM
harden shoudnt even be an all star

IndyRealist
06-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Who wanted Harden on the all-NBA team?

lamzoka
06-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Harden didn't deserve to be on any of the all NBA teams

valade16
06-10-2016, 06:09 PM
When Shaq saw DeAndre Jordan made the 1st team he joked he was coming out of retirement lol

CHANGO
06-10-2016, 07:27 PM
I think they need to. Do a guards/forwards list and roll with it. DeAndre being there was lolworthy.

FOXHOUND
06-10-2016, 08:27 PM
I mean, ultimately you would never construct a team that way so doing away with positions wouldn't make sense. The All-Star game is different in that it's an exhibition game for the fans so it's all about getting every best player in there if possible.

Is DeAndre Jordan a top 5 player? Obviously not, but would you ever start Kevin Durant or LeBron James at C?

JWO35
06-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Yeah positions are kinda pointless for All-NBA teams especially in a forward heavy league

ink
06-10-2016, 08:43 PM
harden shoudnt even be an all star

I agree. He's brutal. Morey's worst move.

valade16
06-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Who was the worst All-NBA 1st team selection of the past 30 years? Was anybody as bad as DeAndre?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-10-2016, 10:28 PM
I agree. He's brutal. Morey's worst move.

Not sure if serious...

Raps18-19 Champ
06-10-2016, 10:34 PM
No. A player's perceived value still has ties to their position.

hugepatsfan
06-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Nah I'm cool with them going by position but it doesn't have to be so strict. Like there are a lot of PFs who log significant minutes at C. Just vote those guys in.

Scoots
06-11-2016, 01:18 AM
It's the all-nba team ... I think it needs to be assembled as a team not just the top 5 guys.

In all 3 all-nba teams there was only 1 SG and 5 PGs so it's not like the teams are built PG, SG, SF, PF, C already.

If they are going to allow it to be broken by position already what's one more.

NYKalltheway
06-11-2016, 05:34 AM
Is this a sign that it is time for the NBA to drop the positions and simply vote for the five best players in the league, regardless of position? If there's four SFs on the team and a PG... who cares?

What are your thoughts?

Who says this is something new?
The best 5 players are not the ones that get the all-NBA spots. This was only the case from the inception of the league up to 1953 or something. It's since been the best C, the two best forwards and the two guards.

The problem is not that DeAndre Jordan makes the all-NBA team. The problem is that the Center is a dead position in the NBA and rather useless. Why punish other star guards/forwards from older eras who won't have an all-NBA 1st selection since there had to be a C selected?

It should stay as it is. This might actually educate younger fans about older generations and make them stop judging players from such selections.

Shammyguy3
06-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Who was the worst All-NBA 1st team selection of the past 30 years? Was anybody as bad as DeAndre?

Sprewell in 1994

FOXHOUND
06-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Who says this is something new?
The best 5 players are not the ones that get the all-NBA spots. This was only the case from the inception of the league up to 1953 or something. It's since been the best C, the two best forwards and the two guards.

The problem is not that DeAndre Jordan makes the all-NBA team. The problem is that the Center is a dead position in the NBA and rather useless. Why punish other star guards/forwards from older eras who won't have an all-NBA 1st selection since there had to be a C selected?

It should stay as it is. This might actually educate younger fans about older generations and make them stop judging players from such selections.

Yup, a good example is Carmelo Anthony finishing 3rd in MVP voting in 2012-13 but being on the All-NBA 2nd team because the two guys ahead of him were LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Between Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins and young guys like Karl Anthony-Towns and Kristaps Porzingis if he ends up at C, it won't be weak on the 1st team for long. No need to overreact.

Shammyguy3
06-11-2016, 11:08 AM
I don't think anyone should be upset if they do in fact go away from a position by position top-5. The league is becoming more versatile and position-less anyway.

Curry - Westbrook - Leonard - Durant - Lebron
Paul - Lillard - Harden - Green - Cousins
Lowry - Thompson - George - Aldridge - Jordan

would be more indicative of the top-15 players in the league

Scoots
06-11-2016, 02:28 PM
I don't think anyone should be upset if they do in fact go away from a position by position top-5. The league is becoming more versatile and position-less anyway.

Curry - Westbrook - Leonard - Durant - Lebron
Paul - Lillard - Harden - Green - Cousins
Lowry - Thompson - George - Aldridge - Jordan

would be more indicative of the top-15 players in the league

The 2nd team would probably beat the 1st team because they don't have anybody to guard bigs. That seems fundamentally wrong to me.

warfelg
06-11-2016, 06:17 PM
The 2nd team would probably beat the 1st team because they don't have anybody to guard bigs. That seems fundamentally wrong to me.

Yea I feel like Cousins would be able to punish whoever has the misfortune of guarding him in the post.

Shammyguy3
06-11-2016, 07:05 PM

that's not really the point of all-nba teams to me though, if we're constructing a team that no other team could win then i would go Curry - Leonard - Lebron - Durant - Duncan or something like that