PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Redraft ABA Conference Finals - 1 v 3

valade16
06-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Once again this year users on the forum partook in an all time snake redraft with players over the history of the sport we all love. GMs drafted players based on their 3 season peaks and assumed 100% health. Via the draft and trades they tried to compile the best team they could. Please look at the teams posted below and decide which one would win in a 7 game series. The higher seed has home court advantage. After you've carefully thought about which team would win, please vote on the poll. If you can't please post in the thread stating which team you think wins and I can add it to the poll. (NOTE: votes by accounts with less than 100 votes will not count)

(1) Seaside Seagulls

PG: Mookie Blaylock - Damian Lillard
SG: Jerry West - Kyle Korver
SF: Grant Hill - Cedric Maxwell
PF: Jack Sikma - Jerry Lucas
C: Moses Malone - Otis Thorpe

vs.

(3) Womp Rats

PG: Steve Nash - Kenny Anderson
SG: Klay Thompson - World B Free
SF: Paul George - Glen Robinson
PF: Amare Stoudemire - Kenyon Martin
C: David Robinson - Tree Rollins

NYKalltheway
06-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Seaside probably sweeps this.

roshan3ai
06-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Really? I think this is a really interesting matchup. Nash can hide on Mookie. But Amar'e can't really hide on Sikma, Sikma is gonna eat him alive on the boards. I can see Amar'e and his athleticism being a pretty big matchup problem for Sikma, a natural Center though.

Klay and George guarding West and Hill is interesting but Valade's got a clear advantage there. If Valade puts Jerry West on Nash then he's got Mookie on Klay which would be a pretty big size difference, and Klay has a solid post up game to take advantage of that. DRob versus Moses is also a great matchup. Not sure who to go with here, hoping for some debate/strategy from both sides.

NYKalltheway
06-08-2016, 11:10 AM
I disagree on Nash hiding on Mookie. Mookie's defense will restrict Nash significantly.

I can't see past this ugly defense that the Womp Rats have. It's so bad, it shouldn't even make playoffs imo. I get that there are some names that appeal, but basketball-wise this is not a desirable product.

Valade's team has more flexibility, whilst the Womp Rats are solely dependant on the p&r and with Nash underutilized, with Klay and George restricted and Moses on D Rob, what can the Womp Rats even do offensively? Defensively they're gonna concede 110+ just for appearing on a court, let alone vs a Moses, West, Hill led team.

KnicksorBust
06-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Really? I think this is a really interesting matchup. Nash can hide on Mookie. But Amar'e can't really hide on Sikma, Sikma is gonna eat him alive on the boards. I can see Amar'e and his athleticism being a pretty big matchup problem for Sikma, a natural Center though.

Klay and George guarding West and Hill is interesting but Valade's got a clear advantage there. If Valade puts Jerry West on Nash then he's got Mookie on Klay which would be a pretty big size difference, and Klay has a solid post up game to take advantage of that. DRob versus Moses is also a great matchup. Not sure who to go with here, hoping for some debate/strategy from both sides.

Dude I get that STAT's defense is garbage but I feel like we gotta think back to prime Amar'e that actually outplayed Duncan in a playoff series. He was laying a 40 pointer on Duncan's head. He would eat Sikma alive in PnR's and could drop 30.

valade16
06-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Dude I get that STAT's defense is garbage but I feel like we gotta think back to prime Amar'e that actually outplayed Duncan in a playoff series. He was laying a 40 pointer on Duncan's head. He would eat Sikma alive in PnR's and could drop 30.

I'd probably switch Moses and Sikma if Amare's athleticism becomes a problem for Sikma, however this idea that Sikma struggles against athletic bigs is erroneous. Sikma did extremely well against D-Rob in the few times they played:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=sikmaja01&p2=robinda01

Game 1:
D-Rob 18 pts | 5 rbds | 5 ast | 1 stl | 2 blck | 2 TO | 5/11 FG | 8/10 FT
Sikma 29 pts | 10 rbds | 1 ast | 0 stl | 1 blck | 1 TO | 10/18 FG | 4/5 FT

Game 2:
D-Rob 19 pts | 11 rbds | 1 ast | 1 stl | 6 blck | 3 TO | 7/10 FG | 5/11 FT
Sikma 23 pts | 7 rbds | 2 ast | 2 stl | 0 blck | 2 TO | 7/13 FG | 7/7 FT

Game 3:
D-Rob 25 pts | 8 rbds | 2 ast | 1 stl | 2 blck | 3 TO | 10/16 FG | 5/7 FT
Sikma 29 pts | 7 rbds | 1 ast | 1 stl | 1 blck | 2 TO | 9/17 FG | 5/5 FT

(Game 4 Sikma only played 18 mins)

That was a 34/35 year old Sikma going against in his athletic prime D-Rob, one of the most athletic Centers in NBA history. He didn't have a whole lot of trouble on either end, matching him stat-wise.

Sikma gets a bad rap because he's an old white big so the assumption is he couldn't defend and couldn't guard athletic players. Neither of those are true. He led the league in Defensive Win Shares twice, he was a very good defender.

Heck, here is a clip of Inside the NBA pranking Shaq (it's actually really funny) by saying Bleacher Report came out with a Top 10 C list and ranking Shaq 9th (and Sikma 7th):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVcAazaigiQ

Both Scott and Isiah say "he had a good move" and then when the host tries to make it seem like Shaq was mad at Sikma being on the list Shaq even says "I have no problem with Sikma. Sikma was cold".

He is very well respected by players because they recognize he was a very good player.

roshan3ai
06-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Good point, and he has Nash in this game. He's gonna get his looks and be lethal offensively. Tough matchup to decide still though. I think Valade's advantage on the wings is huge.

Redrum187
06-08-2016, 02:00 PM
These are the number 1 and 3 teams I ranked in their conference.

I would like to have seen Raps in this, he was my number 2. Nevertheless, Brack was my number 3.

Congratulations to Valade and Brack for your clutch win.

xbrackattackx
06-08-2016, 02:24 PM
I think the biggest mistake in this redraft is the actual over valuing of Defense. A player can guard Nash and Amare like glue and they can still get theirs. Duncan guarded Amare very well that series. Amare still got his. I'm sorry but Sikma is not better than D-Rob or he would have been drafted higher. I just went though a defensive wrecking crew Quinn's team and Raps team with KAJ. But Sikma is the guy that stops me? Nash is gonna feast on this team with Assist he may avg 15 a night. And he actually does make his team better. And V's guards are 6 and 6"2 respectively. Klay Thompson is gonna shine. He's 6"8 and gonna shoot over them all night. Hell Beside Nash my whole starting line up is athletic 7 footers or right at it. I feel my heighth and atheletic ability will shine here. Good Luck Vlade. You made a nice team and congratulations.

The_Jamal
06-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Womp Rats. Been my favorite team in this redraft and nothing changes here. Been saying every round that it'd take an extremely dominant defense to hold Womp Rats under 120 PPG. Seaside isn't it.

Also, stop using H-H's. It's incredibly stupid in an ATRD

valade16
06-09-2016, 09:36 AM
I think the biggest mistake in this redraft is the actual over valuing of Defense. A player can guard Nash and Amare like glue and they can still get theirs. Duncan guarded Amare very well that series. Amare still got his. I'm sorry but Sikma is not better than D-Rob or he would have been drafted higher. I just went though a defensive wrecking crew Quinn's team and Raps team with KAJ. But Sikma is the guy that stops me? Nash is gonna feast on this team with Assist he may avg 15 a night. And he actually does make his team better. And V's guards are 6 and 6"2 respectively. Klay Thompson is gonna shine. He's 6"8 and gonna shoot over them all night. Hell Beside Nash my whole starting line up is athletic 7 footers or right at it. I feel my heighth and atheletic ability will shine here. Good Luck Vlade. You made a nice team and congratulations.

Congratulations to you too!

I just want to point out two things:

1). Of course you'd be saying that defense is overrated in this game considering your team :)

Jokes aside, it's not like my team lacks for offense. Moses, West and Grant Hill is capable of scoring the ball every bit as much as D-Rob, Amar'e and Nash.

2). I wasn't trying to say Sikma was better than D-Rob. But a player can be worse than another in a general sense but matchup well with them. Sikma is not the defensive liability here people are making it seem.

xbrackattackx
06-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Congratulations to you too!

I just want to point out two things:

1). Of course you'd be saying that defense is overrated in this game considering your team :)

Jokes aside, it's not like my team lacks for offense. Moses, West and Grant Hill is capable of scoring the ball every bit as much as D-Rob, Amar'e and Nash.

2). I wasn't trying to say Sikma was better than D-Rob. But a player can be worse than another in a general sense but matchup well with them. Sikma is not the defensive liability here people are making it seem.

Of Course I'm gonna go with that angle. ;)

Redrum187
06-09-2016, 08:40 PM
I wish I had a passive opponent. :(

Lakers + Giants
06-09-2016, 08:43 PM
I wish I had a passive opponent. :(

Got kind of tired in our thread. Lets see this one push for 200 posts. Cmon Pansies!

valade16
06-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Got kind of tired in our thread. Lets see this one push for 200 posts. Cmon Pansies!

Don't bring your fight in here! Lol

Lakers + Giants
06-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Thinking this is a close series as well. I'm leaning towards one team but can be persuaded. Need to see some type of debate before I cast my vote though.

Lakers + Giants
06-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Don't bring your fight in here! Lol

we're in round 12, **** is intense. Has round 1 started here? :p