PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Raptors "broke"?

kobe4thewinbang
06-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Why are the Raptors "broke"?

I keep seeing that the Raptors are going to have cap problems especially with DeRozan wanting to be paid. I heard they can work some magic to lose expendable guys like Scola, Patterson and whatnot to shore up some funds. Now Biyombo wants to get paid and has opted out, as likely will DeRozan.

I know they paid Lowry recently, so what gives? Still on the hook for Bargnani or something? The cap is going up.

The reason I ask is because if they gut the team too much, does DeRozan stay with less help? I don't think they would want to lose Carroll or Joseph, but I don't see any huge contracts that would make them so broke.

Pfeifer
06-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Look on cap geek. They are right up against the cap. Bunch of new contract kick in this year.

TheMightyHumph
06-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Raptors committed to about $66 mil in salary for '16-'17, not counting DeRozan and Biyombo

KnicksorBust
06-07-2016, 11:45 AM
I still don't know how the Raptors won as many games as they did. Bravo Kyle Lowry.

Tony_Starks
06-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Drake blew the budget on make up!

bucketss
06-07-2016, 12:34 PM
ross and jonas extensions kick in.

IndyRealist
06-07-2016, 12:36 PM
$14m to Carroll, $10m to Ross, $7m to Joseph and $6m to Patterson. You can only pay so many guys. Valencuinas makes $14m, Lowry $12m, and they have to pay DeRozan.

Slug3
06-07-2016, 05:06 PM
$14m to Carroll, $10m to Ross, $7m to Joseph and $6m to Patterson. You can only pay so many guys. Valencuinas makes $14m, Lowry $12m, and they have to pay DeRozan.

12 Million for Lowry is a pretty good deal.

R. Johnson#3
06-08-2016, 01:52 PM
I still don't know how the Raptors won as many games as they did. Bravo Kyle Lowry.

They played defence. I get why you don't understand it though being a Knick fan and all.

beasted86
06-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Why does Ross make $10M?

JR Smith got $5M, Austin Rivers got $3M. Louis Williams who was solid for the Raps got $7M. What makes guys like Shumpert and Ross worth $10M?

I'll never understand certain team decisions.

LA4life24/8
06-08-2016, 03:12 PM
I really hope they come up with said funds to give DDR. But not have enough left over for BB. I'd love BB to be lakers back up big.

bucketss
06-08-2016, 03:18 PM
I really hope they come up with said funds to give DDR. But not have enough left over for BB. I'd love BB to be lakers back up big.

biz is getting like 18 mill hes gone. we don't have his bird rights so unless he takes a paycut hes gone, not sure you want to pay that much for a backup big.

LA4life24/8
06-08-2016, 03:36 PM
biz is getting like 18 mill hes gone. we don't have his bird rights so unless he takes a paycut hes gone, not sure you want to pay that much for a backup big.

Someone is going to. And I doubt he's going to start anywhere. In a year 18 will be half max. He could be worth it, ehh but prolly not.

But everyone is going to get over paid this offseason to many teams have money to blow

koreancabbage
06-08-2016, 04:29 PM
They played defence. I get why you don't understand it though being a Knick fan and all.

well TBH, the last time they were actually good - they made a record breaking amount of 3s. and played defense.

the next years after - offense wasn't cohesive and defense is way down. that lone great year in the last 10 years, i believe - was a fluke.

Raps have improved their record every year - so it can't be fluke - as some raptors fans are talking about. maybe better coaching? growth in the players? better talent?

Now I envy the Knicks because they have the player we thought we were getting with Bargnani. Porzingas is 10x more talented and actually plays with heart.

Necrosis
06-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Why are the Raptors "broke"?

I keep seeing that the Raptors are going to have cap problems especially with DeRozan wanting to be paid. I heard they can work some magic to lose expendable guys like Scola, Patterson and whatnot to shore up some funds. Now Biyombo wants to get paid and has opted out, as likely will DeRozan.

I know they paid Lowry recently, so what gives? Still on the hook for Bargnani or something? The cap is going up.

The reason I ask is because if they gut the team too much, does DeRozan stay with less help? I don't think they would want to lose Carroll or Joseph, but I don't see any huge contracts that would make them so broke.

Biyombo is taking a home town discount as he stated, he wants to stay with Masai (african connection, personal connection) in Toronto.

We have DD's bird rights so we will simply sign biyombo then go over to sign derozan. The 9th pick will cost some money so I think ross is being traded as powell makes him redundent.

JasonJohnHorn
06-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Best thing is to let DMDR walk.

ink
06-09-2016, 05:09 PM
Best thing is to let DMDR walk.

A lot of us wish for that but it's not going to happen. There's a real concern about giving franchise dollars to a sub-par franchise player. The only caveat is that DD keeps working and surprising people with his development ...

IndyRealist
06-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Biyombo is taking a home town discount as he stated, he wants to stay with Masai (african connection, personal connection) in Toronto.

We have DD's bird rights so we will simply sign biyombo then go over to sign derozan. The 9th pick will cost some money so I think ross is being traded as powell makes him redundent.

The order you sign them is irreleveant. DeRozan's cap hold is like $15m, depending on how much Biyombo wants, you might not be able to sign him. Haven't looked at the Raps cap situation, but you can't cheat the system by signing free agents first then signing your Bird Rights guys.