PDA

View Full Version : Is David Griffin a top 10 NBA General Manager?

murphturph
06-05-2016, 11:14 PM
David Griffin has been voted a top 10 NBA executive the last two Years. He came 2nd in voting behind the Warriors Bob Myers in 2014-2015, and he placed 7th in Executive of The Year voting during the 2015-2016 season this year.

If I had Lebron James, I would surround him with defence and 3 point shooting. Thats it. David gets gifted the number 1 pick (Wiggins) and he trades it for an offensive star when his team already had two offensive stars in Lebron and Kyrie.

He trades 2 first round picks for Timofey Mozgov and a 2nd round pick..... The guy doesn't even play.

He signed TT for 5 years 82 Million. However, I understand he basically had no choice.

He gets praised for singing veterans like Jefferson, Williams, and Jones, when in fact Lebron is the ONLY reason those players signed with the team.

IMO, he has only made two good (decent) moves.

1) Trading Dion Waiters, Louis Amundson, Alex Kirk and a 2019 2nd round draft pick, and receiving Shumpert, J.R Smith, and a first round pick from OKC.

2) Trading Varajeo and a future first round pick for Channing Frye. HOWEVER. Varajeo was a fan favourite and lifetime player for the Cavs, and they lost a first round pick. Also, Varajeo signed with the Warriors.

I understand the need to trade a rookie like Wiggins. But you have 2 offensive stars. Why not trade him for either a rim protecting defensive enforcer, or 3 and D players.

Correct me if am missing any other trades or important moves he has made. Perhaps he could have signed a more NBA ready coach than David Blatt.

I love Lebron, and just wish he had a better supporting cast that fits his style of play.

Where do you think David Griffin ranks as an NBA executive?

BKLYNpigeon
06-05-2016, 11:28 PM
I don't know about rankings but. In NBA circles he's one of the better GMs of the league.

Scoots
06-05-2016, 11:38 PM
He gets praised for singing veterans like Jefferson, Williams, and Jones

Are they doing it for audiences or are you just talking about singing in the shower type?

Scoots
06-05-2016, 11:39 PM
DG doesn't really matter. He can only do what LeBron says he wants done. He may have won more trades if he wasn't having his hand forced.

Aust
06-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Tough to say since decisions aren't really up to him.

murphturph
06-06-2016, 12:08 AM
hahaha

murphturph
06-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Fair enough points

Chronz
06-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Have to see what he can pull off with love or kyrie

D-Leethal
06-06-2016, 11:45 AM
He is good at letting the LeBron Cartel pressure him into making short sighted decisions just to appease King James.

KnicksorBust
06-06-2016, 02:39 PM
LeBron is a top 10 GM. David Griffin? Nah.

JWO35
06-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Yep

CC: Dan Gilbert & LeBron James

5ass
06-06-2016, 03:52 PM
You mean the guy that drafted Anthony Bennett 1st overall and Waiters 4th? If it wasn't for LeBron the Cavs would still be in discussion for the #1 pick this year even though they've been very lucky in the draft lottery.

Scoots
06-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Heard talk that the Thunder may end up paying Waiters 8 digits next year which I find amazing.

Vee-Rex
06-06-2016, 05:02 PM
You mean the guy that drafted Anthony Bennett 1st overall and Waiters 4th? If it wasn't for LeBron the Cavs would still be in discussion for the #1 pick this year even though they've been very lucky in the draft lottery.

That wasn't David Griffin, that was Chris Grant.

David Griffin is, rightfully so, regarded as a top 10 GM in the NBA. But of course the PSD couch potatoes with cheeto-stained fingers will know otherwise.

J_M_B
06-06-2016, 05:20 PM
That wasn't David Griffin, that was Chris Grant.

David Griffin is, rightfully so, regarded as a top 10 GM in the NBA. But of course the PSD couch potatoes with cheeto-stained fingers will know otherwise.

He doesn't have much of a track record yet

Vee-Rex
06-06-2016, 05:30 PM
He doesn't have much of a track record yet

He has done extremely well in his limited time.

If anyone wants to judge him based off his ability to put together a team to beat GS 4 times then every GM not named Bob Myers in the NBA sucks.

Kush McDaniels
06-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Gotta trade Love and Kyrie. The Cavs need guys who can consistently make shots/not be so awful on the defensive end. LeBron doesn't necessarily need star power around him, he needs guys who compliment his style of play.

Vee-Rex
06-06-2016, 05:47 PM
David Griffin has been voted a top 10 NBA executive the last two Years. He came 2nd in voting behind the Warriors Bob Myers in 2014-2015, and he placed 7th in Executive of The Year voting during the 2015-2016 season this year.

If I had Lebron James, I would surround him with defence and 3 point shooting. Thats it. David gets gifted the number 1 pick (Wiggins) and he trades it for an offensive star when his team already had two offensive stars in Lebron and Kyrie.

He trades 2 first round picks for Timofey Mozgov and a 2nd round pick..... The guy doesn't even play.

He signed TT for 5 years 82 Million. However, I understand he basically had no choice.

He gets praised for singing veterans like Jefferson, Williams, and Jones, when in fact Lebron is the ONLY reason those players signed with the team.

IMO, he has only made two good (decent) moves.

1) Trading Dion Waiters, Louis Amundson, Alex Kirk and a 2019 2nd round draft pick, and receiving Shumpert, J.R Smith, and a first round pick from OKC.

2) Trading Varajeo and a future first round pick for Channing Frye. HOWEVER. Varajeo was a fan favourite and lifetime player for the Cavs, and they lost a first round pick. Also, Varajeo signed with the Warriors.

I understand the need to trade a rookie like Wiggins. But you have 2 offensive stars. Why not trade him for either a rim protecting defensive enforcer, or 3 and D players.

Correct me if am missing any other trades or important moves he has made. Perhaps he could have signed a more NBA ready coach than David Blatt.

I love Lebron, and just wish he had a better supporting cast that fits his style of play.

Where do you think David Griffin ranks as an NBA executive?

I think you touched on a lot of stuff that actually seemed like great moves at the time. Hindsight is 20/20, though.

He traded Wiggins for Love, at a time when fans from all over the country were saying the Cavs would be idiotic not to add a third star. I wish I could go back on these boards to that time, man. like 80% of PSD was saying the Cavs would be nuts not to trade Wiggins (who would take a lot of time to develop) for Love (and already established star talent).

LeBron's closing window created the win-now attitude, so at the time it wasn't a bad trade (considering Anthony Bennett was a complete bust).

His trade for Mozgov propelled the Cavs into actual contendership - remember we were 19-20 before the Mozgov trade. We were lacking defense and rim protection and that was a solid way of adding a piece to a team already considered talented enough to contend. 2 firsts was rough, but Mozzy gave us exactly what we needed.

It's unfortunate that ever since his offseason surgery he has been atrocious. But that's not something that could have been anticipated at the time.

David Blatt was signed expecting to shape and mold a young roster. It's something that Blatt would probably have done well with. It was before LBJ decided to come back to Cleveland and the trade for Kevin Love.

You can't fault Griffin for the David Blatt signing.