PDA

View Full Version : Doris Burke's observations on Pop: Fair?

JasonJohnHorn
06-04-2016, 12:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/doris-burke-is-tired-of-gregg-popovich-s-short-answers-011343042.html

I understand Burke's frustration, but I'm not sure it's fair to suggest there is a double standard because Pop interacts with JVG differently.

Firstly, it's important to point out that when Pop is speaking with JVG, he is talking to a fellow coach, somebody who was in his profession and has been to the NBA finals. They are in a 'club' of sorts, but it's not the 'old boys club', it's the 'we're both coaches club'.

That said, watching the link above, it seems like Pop gave JVG an even harder time than he gives other people, though with a jovial rapport. And JVG was actually engaging in Pop's persona of the uncaring guy by talking about getting into his feelings. And at the end of the interview, Pop gave him no information on the game at all.

I realize that Pop gives Burke short answers, but when you watch the press conferences, which are mostly male reporters, he gives the same short answers, if he even answers them at all. And if you watch the press conference after the last game of the conference semis, he was far harsher and ruder with those guys than he ever has been with Burke.

Now, I totally get why a coach doesn't want to give out information at half time or in a press conference. If you give your opponent insights into how you are thinking, you give them an advantage. I would keep my cards close too. I'm not going to play Texas Hold'em and flip my cards over for everybody to see as soon as they are handed to me. That would just be silly. I frankly don't understand why more coaches don't take the minimalist approach to these things that Pop does.

Coupled with that, I don't get the impression that Pop has any sort of gender-bias in this respect. He is the one who decided to promote a female coach (first in the league), and frankly gives Burke better answers than he gives to most male reporters, in part, I think, because she asks better questions (much to her credit).

Do you think Burke's take on Pop is fair?

da ThRONe
06-04-2016, 12:28 PM
If he was only a dick to women fine, but he does the same thing to the male reporter.

Scoots
06-04-2016, 12:29 PM
I was unaware that anyone thought Pop did that to be anything but a pain in the behind. He's having fun at other people expense. The sideline reporters know it's a dumb thing to go ask those questions mid-game but it's in their job description to do it ... Pop just makes it clear he too knows it's dumb, and in so doing has made his mid-game interviews even more viewable.

DboneG
06-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Poop is a jag. I been saying that since I started posting.

Stinkyoutsider
06-04-2016, 01:43 PM
I think Pop gets extremely frustrated at some questions and the only thing he knows how to do is to either be a jerk or give one word answers.

He's got a good relationship with Van Gundy because Pop knows Van Gundy has been through the exact same thing.

He treated Craig Saeger (hope I spelled the last name right) the same as all the other reporters until he contracted cancer. Now, they both have a great time when Craig interviews Pop and is willing to even answer a question or 2.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Aww she got her feelings hurt? Give me a break, what do you expect from a Pop interview? Is she really playing the gender card on top of that?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Poop is a jag. I been saying that since I started posting.

****ing poop.

BKLYNpigeon
06-04-2016, 02:37 PM
Pop needs to get off his high horse. His arragance is getting old.

kdspurman
06-04-2016, 02:37 PM
It would be sexist if he treated her differently than others lol He's pretty consistent, and there are times he's given thoughtful answers to Doris.

Their next interview should be interesting

kdspurman
06-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Pop needs to get off his high horse. His arragance is getting old.

How is he arrogant? He's one of the most humble guys of all time, especially with a resume like he has.

Have you ever watched his real interviews after a game and not in-game interviews? He's full of praise always for his opponents and always makes sure his team wins and loses with dignity and class. A lot of teams/coaches can learn from him

Saddletramp
06-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Pop can be kind of a boner at times but I'd take that over Kerr trying out his standup almost every chance he gets. I get that guys want to be funny, but it gets annoying sometimes.

numba1CHANGsta
06-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Pop needs to get laid

noahopz
06-04-2016, 04:10 PM
pop needs to get off his high horse. His arragance is getting old.

this thread is a joke and doris burke is a joke

youre talking about the first coach in nba history to hire a female coach on his staff ??

And hes sexist.

Come on man

this is ridiculous

go ask becky hammond if greg pop is sexist

close thread

Sly Guy
06-04-2016, 05:07 PM
I never liked the between quarter interviews. The job is there to coach the game, not to be accountable to the media every 30 seconds of gameplay. I always liked pop's stance on this by being a difficult interview. We've already got the highlights show, the post game, online outlets, social media, and oh yeah, the games and broadcasts themselves to have access to the players/staff, do we really need a 30-second spot for generic 'we gotta try harder out there' responses from the coaches?

And no, Pop can totally treat doris burke that way, he does it to everyone else not named craig saeger (cuz of his cancer) and JvG (cuz he's a former coach who's been through this stuff as well).

ewing
06-04-2016, 06:54 PM
in game interviews are a trash idea. I am sure Pop agrees with this as does JVG. maybe that's why Pop is morely wiling to talk to Jeff.

JasonJohnHorn
06-04-2016, 06:57 PM
How is he arrogant? He's one of the most humble guys of all time, especially with a resume like he has.

Have you ever watched his real interviews after a game and not in-game interviews? He's full of praise always for his opponents and always makes sure his team wins and loses with dignity and class. A lot of teams/coaches can learn from him

+1

beasted86
06-05-2016, 12:44 AM
He's not sexist, he's just a jerk on purpose.

I wish he'd drop the act (along with Lynch and everyone else who does this). It's part of his and every other sports professionals' job to conduct interviews and answer questions.

Scoots
06-05-2016, 03:13 AM

Haters gon' hate it seems. Pop didn't get where he is by being arrogant, he got there by being good at his job and by working with and promoting his coaches to the rest of the league. Even the reporters for the most part know they are intruding. It's entirely possible Burke feels extra pressure to perform but Pop treating her the same as the male reporters is the opposite of sexist.

Scoots
06-05-2016, 03:17 AM
He's not sexist, he's just a jerk on purpose.

I wish he'd drop the act (along with Lynch and everyone else who does this). It's part of his and every other sports professionals' job to conduct interviews and answer questions.

It's required that they do it, it's not required that they enjoy it, nor that they do it well. John Taylor, long time WR for the 49ers in the 80s told the reporters he wouldn't talk to them because one of them screwed him over. The league forced him to talk anyway. He answered every question asked with one word answers or that he believed the press would turn what he said into a lie so why talk at all. VERY quickly the press learned to not ask him questions. Taylor never got as much fame as his play seemed to warrant because of it but he and the press were happier for it. Just leave Pop alone ... heck I bet if the NBA allowed him to choose a team spokesperson from his staff rather than have it always be him he'd jump at the chance and the press and the public would get more information and not have to deal with Pop AND Pop would get his peace.

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2016, 12:45 PM
It's required that they do it, it's not required that they enjoy it, nor that they do it well. John Taylor, long time WR for the 49ers in the 80s told the reporters he wouldn't talk to them because one of them screwed him over. The league forced him to talk anyway. He answered every question asked with one word answers or that he believed the press would turn what he said into a lie so why talk at all. VERY quickly the press learned to not ask him questions. Taylor never got as much fame as his play seemed to warrant because of it but he and the press were happier for it. Just leave Pop alone ... heck I bet if the NBA allowed him to choose a team spokesperson from his staff rather than have it always be him he'd jump at the chance and the press and the public would get more information and not have to deal with Pop AND Pop would get his peace.

This is a really great point. The press is always looking for a story. The push things. Like when LBJ was asked about Curry getting MVP. First thing he said was that Curry deserved the award... then he added that different people have different perspectives on what an MVP is, which is true, and then the head line was (instead of being LBJ Says Curry Deserves MVP--which is what he said), "LeBron says Curry didn't deserve MVP".

The press ask you a question, take it out of context, try to create a conflict to see papers or get views. They can be like vultures. I think it is reasonable for athletes and coaches to not want to talk to them. Green had a guy that was trying to get him to say something controversial and called the dude out on it.

Some players (I think back to Shaq or Charles Barkley) were great at being able to frame the narrative the way they wanted in the press. Other guys, I'm thinking LeBron, are not quite so good. They say things that seem ambiguous and then get taken out of context.

I don't blame guys like Pop for not really putting an effort into that part of their job. Don't give information out to the press when they are asking for stuff that could help your opponent prepare for you. and don't give them ammunition to start some story to get traffic.

D-Leethal
06-05-2016, 01:19 PM
It's not sexist at all. SMH at today's oft-offended victim mentality.

Pop treats every damn sideline reporter the same way, Sager has been the biggest victim of his condescension for decades.

beasted86
06-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Yes, I remember Taylor on SF, him and Rice were an unstoppable duo with Roger Craig who was an underrated RB in the slot. The tight end was really solid too. Made Montana seem better than he actually was, but he was really just a system quarterback... Anyway, I digress....

That's a weak excuse, and this weak minded thinking is what's ruining the world since the dawn of time.

One reporter burned me, so let's lump them all together, they are all the same person. One group of Muslims are doing something I don't like so let's vilify them all because they are all the same. One policeman is dirty so they are all dirty. This extremely flawed rationale has existed forever.

Pop and all the others who do this need to grow up. Part of growing up and being a professional is doing things you don't like a lot of the time. You're still supposed to do that part of your job the best you can and approach it with the same excellence as you do all other aspects. Those media members have jobs that rely on you conducting a proper interview and answering questions.

It shows a lack of character you refusing to do interviews because it's actually you who can't choose your own words more carefully or you don't know how to tackle the tougher (or "stupid") questions.

europagnpilgrim
06-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Haters gon' hate it seems. Pop didn't get where he is by being arrogant, he got there by being good at his job and by working with and promoting his coaches to the rest of the league. Even the reporters for the most part know they are intruding. It's entirely possible Burke feels extra pressure to perform but Pop treating her the same as the male reporters is the opposite of sexist.

well the flip side is controlling/doing it my way is a form of self arrogance, maybe not fully but a small amount has to be involved, and all claim that g pop does it his way or the highway from all the fans/media experts out here, that right there is a form of arrogance no matter high/low the scale of it may be

you do something my way or go elsewhere, that is clearly how pop got to where he is at, having Duncan/Robinson and others helped also

kdspurman
06-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Yes, I remember Taylor on SF, him and Rice were an unstoppable duo with Roger Craig who was an underrated RB in the slot. The tight end was really solid too. Made Montana seem better than he actually was, but he was really just a system quarterback... Anyway, I digress....

That's a weak excuse, and this weak minded thinking is what's ruining the world since the dawn of time.

One reporter burned me, so let's lump them all together, they are all the same person. One group of Muslims are doing something I don't like so let's vilify them all because they are all the same. One policeman is dirty so they are all dirty. This extremely flawed rationale has existed forever.

Pop and all the others who do this need to grow up. Part of growing up and being a professional is doing things you don't like a lot of the time. You're still supposed to do that part of your job the best you can and approach it with the same excellence as you do all other aspects. Those media members have jobs that rely on you conducting a proper interview and answering questions.

It shows a lack of character you refusing to do interviews because it's actually you who can't choose your own words more carefully or you don't know how to tackle the tougher (or "stupid") questions.

Pop doesn't like in Game interviews. There's a big difference in you saying 'interviews' in general. So what, he isn't a fan of answering 2 questions in between quarters of basketball games. He said he'd much rather be with his team at that time. I'm surprised people don't get that. Having an assistant do it would be better for everyone.

BTW, Pop has given some of the most insightful and fascinating interviews post game and off the court of any head coach. People who get offended cause he gives short answers in the heat of a basketball game need to get over it. Seriously, what can he say during the game that people want to hear? 'we need to play better', or some other cheesy response we hear these coaches who are miced up say? Btw, have you heard some of the questions he's asked? It's bad enough it's poor timing to speak to a head coach, but on top of the some the questions are just as poor.

Sadds The Gr8
06-05-2016, 02:43 PM
The sexist part is dumb because he does the same **** to male reporters. I hate this easily offended **** to gain sympathy.

Could he be less of an asshat? Yea, but I don't really blame him because the in-game interviews are ****ing stupid. Nobody is learning anything

D-Leethal
06-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Pop doesn't like in Game interviews. There's a big difference in you saying 'interviews' in general. So what, he isn't a fan of answering 2 questions in between quarters of basketball games. He said he'd much rather be with his team at that time. I'm surprised people don't get that. Having an assistant do it would be better for everyone.

BTW, Pop has given some of the most insightful and fascinating interviews post game and off the court of any head coach. People who get offended cause he gives short answers in the heat of a basketball game need to get over it. Seriously, what can he say during the game that people want to hear? 'we need to play better', or some other cheesy response we hear these coaches who are miced up say? Btw, have you heard some of the questions he's asked? It's bad enough it's poor timing to speak to a head coach, but on top of the some the questions are just as poor.

Don't think this is a big deal or anything but Pop should respect the situation as a liaison to fans getting his insight and expertise into the game. At the end of the day, all this stuff makes the NBA what it is - and the NBA, its media exposure and its fans (customers) are the only why he is a millionaire, a global figure living his dream coaching basketball.

I don't expect him to be a robot or act all cheery when his team is playing like crap but he should be a better sport about it. I take the same stance when guys like Durant act all standoffish with the media. I do think there are some exceptions for people who are clearly uncomfortable and timid in front of all the cameras but that is clearly not Pop.

kdspurman
06-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Don't think this is a big deal or anything but Pop should respect the situation as a liaison to fans getting his insight and expertise into the game. At the end of the day, all this stuff makes the NBA what it is - and the NBA, its media exposure and its fans (customers) are the only why he is a millionaire, a global figure living his dream coaching basketball.

I don't expect him to be a robot or act all cheery when his team is playing like crap but he should be a better sport about it. I take the same stance when guys like Durant act all standoffish with the media. I do think there are some exceptions for people who are clearly uncomfortable and timid in front of all the cameras but that is clearly not Pop.

I also almost wonder if this is what the networks want sometimes. People tune it to hear that, they usually build up anticipation like 'interview with Pop coming up next'

I mean when they interview players at halftime, that team is usually up. Can you imagine how it would be to interview a player from a losing team during the game?

I think Pop can he a little nicer sometimes, I agree with you. I just also understand the situation and why it annoys him. Idk... I guess I feel like people expect too much from him during these, cause post game it's completely different

mngopher35
06-05-2016, 03:05 PM

I probably am more likely to pay attention if it is pop doing them just to see what he does/says lol. I really don't care about the generic responses every coach gives about focusing on defense, pushing the pace, or needing more effort etc. Normally it's something we already knew and likely even heard before the interview (whether in the team huddles or via an announcer pointing out the obvious).

These interviews are pretty dumb and like you said having an assistant do them would be better (like they do at half times of local feeds). Not a big deal to me at all, he is there to coach his team.

D-Leethal
06-05-2016, 03:12 PM
I also almost wonder if this is what the networks want sometimes. People tune it to hear that, they usually build up anticipation like 'interview with Pop coming up next'

I mean when they interview players at halftime, that team is usually up. Can you imagine how it would be to interview a player from a losing team during the game?

I think Pop can he a little nicer sometimes, I agree with you. I just also understand the situation and why it annoys him. Idk... I guess I feel like people expect too much from him during these, cause post game it's completely different

I think the Popovich sideline interview has taken on a life of its own and networks certainly love it. I don't think people change the channel as often when they know the Pop interview is on deck. But that doesn't mean the reporter being demeaned loves it. I do think Pop is probably playing the villain a bit at this point - even if his team is kicking *** and he is in a good mood I think he acts like a douche to maintain his persona in those situations.

I don't think the way it works is that they only interview the team in the lead. The interview both coaches every game - whether they are winning or losing.

D-Leethal
06-05-2016, 03:15 PM
It's easier said than done but I think players and coaches alike need to have more respect for the media's role in them living their dream. They are a pain in the *** yes, but they are a vital part of the NBA machine and they are the only liaison to the fans who are the customers and power the engine.

kdspurman
06-05-2016, 03:20 PM
It's easier said than done but I think players and coaches alike need to have more respect for the media's role in them living their dream. They are a pain in the *** yes, but they are a vital part of the NBA machine and they are the only liaison to the fans who are the customers and power the engine.

I think it goes both ways as well. The media has been very hard on some players/coaches too and, sometimes flat out disrespectful.

D-Leethal
06-05-2016, 03:25 PM
I think it goes both ways as well. The media has been very hard on some players/coaches too and, sometimes flat out disrespectful.

There is always some sort of agenda or motive I agree, but the media isn't there to be cheerleaders. There is positive spin, negative spin and somewhere in between reality. But you need the conflicting arguments sometimes to find the reality. At the end of the day, its all part of the what makes the NBA what it is so they should have more respect for that. Without media exposure these guys wouldn't be getting 8-9 figure salaries and endorsement deals and wouldn't have generations worth of financial security for their family.

kdspurman
06-05-2016, 03:25 PM
I think the Popovich sideline interview has taken on a life of its own and networks certainly love it. I don't think people change the channel as often when they know the Pop interview is on deck. But that doesn't mean the reporter being demeaned loves it. I do think Pop is probably playing the villain a bit at this point - even if his team is kicking *** and he is in a good mood I think he acts like a douche to maintain his persona in those situations.

I don't think the way it works is that they only interview the team in the lead. The interview both coaches every game - whether they are winning or losing.

Yea that's how it works, though I've seen them skip it if a team is getting blown out to start the 4th.

You're probably right that Pop is just playing the villain. Rick Carlisle on a couple occasions has done similar Pop like interviews, so I guess it can be trendy lol.

I still say, the questions he is asked at times are really bad, so if reporters are doing their jobs, they should ask some better questions

D-Leethal
06-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Yea that's how it works, though I've seen them skip it if a team is getting blown out to start the 4th.

You're probably right that Pop is just playing the villain. Rick Carlisle on a couple occasions has done similar Pop like interviews, so I guess it can be trendy lol.

I still say, the questions he is asked at times are really bad, so if reporters are doing their jobs, they should ask some better questions

Maybe in extreme blowouts in the 4th they will skip it, but I've seen plenty coaches give the interview if they are getting handled.

The questions are cliche and basic but they are speaking to the masses, not the subset of well versed and informed NBA fans who deeply understand situations and XO details.

beasted86
06-05-2016, 05:33 PM

He gives the same curt answers in post game interviews. Stop being his apologist.

His season was over with already, there was no strategic advantage to be lost or anything of the sort, and everyone can still watch him being a jerk after his team lost to the Thunder in that post game semi-finals press conference. And that's not the only post game press conference he's been a total jerk to reporters. And I don't want to hear anything about giving answers after an upsetting loss because Duncan and everyone else on the Spurs had the respect to do a proper interview.

Like I said, he needs to grow up and reasonably commit to giving a good interview. He purposely makes it a "thing" with his theatrics. Nobody is asking him to give a speech or lay out his entire strategy for the mere 10 to 14 in-game interviews for when his team is on ESPN each season, including the playoffs. It's not unreasonable to expect generic answers delivered unlike a rude jerk which is what every other coach gives.

D-Leethal
06-05-2016, 05:42 PM
And Pop's distaste for the media is pretty odd considering the favorable (and deserved) treatment he gets from the press. Spurs organization is the darling of pro sports, they are fawned upon all over the press and media, they paint Pop as possibly the greatest coach ever. I'm sure the local beats cover them incredibly favorable as well. It's not like he is in NY where the media does everything in its power to chew you up and spit you out.

He should really enjoy the press.

smood999
06-05-2016, 06:44 PM
I really question how many people actually read the entire article or just followed the lead of the OP, since you guys are so quick to bring up sexism.

Here's a quote from the article:

"It's not clear that Burke is calling Popovich sexist, because he often does the same to men on the sidelines. The difference in the case of Van Gundy is that he is a former coach whom Popovich probably respects more than he does a media member."

I'm pretty sure she is referring to the latter. Her point is pretty much he would always tell the media is "in the game" as a reason for his short answers and the media gave him a pass, until they saw him with someone like JVG. Being a man isn't the only difference between the two. He's obviously a former coach. That's what she's calling out. She mentions the media, not female media members.

Aust
06-05-2016, 07:53 PM
I never liked the between quarter interviews. The job is there to coach the game, not to be accountable to the media every 30 seconds of gameplay. I always liked pop's stance on this by being a difficult interview. We've already got the highlights show, the post game, online outlets, social media, and oh yeah, the games and broadcasts themselves to have access to the players/staff, do we really need a 30-second spot for generic 'we gotta try harder out there' responses from the coaches?

And no, Pop can totally treat doris burke that way, he does it to everyone else not named craig saeger (cuz of his cancer) and JvG (cuz he's a former coach who's been through this stuff as well).

in game interviews are a trash idea. I am sure Pop agrees with this as does JVG. maybe that's why Pop is morely wiling to talk to Jeff.

Yep, never liked the in game interviews either(same with football). Stupid idea.

Scoots
06-05-2016, 08:26 PM

It's not weak minded. Nobody should be forced to talk to someone.

My guess is if you were forced to stop doing your job at a critical moment and then told to go talk to someone who isn't helping you do your job at all and then they ask you stupid questions they are not going to get a well considered expansive answer.

It's a dumb policy and I hope every coach starts doing it so we can get rid of it.

kdspurman
06-05-2016, 09:03 PM
He gives the same curt answers in post game interviews. Stop being his apologist.

His season was over with already, there was no strategic advantage to be lost or anything of the sort, and everyone can still watch him being a jerk after his team lost to the Thunder in that post game semi-finals press conference. And that's not the only post game press conference he's been a total jerk to reporters. And I don't want to hear anything about giving answers after an upsetting loss because Duncan and everyone else on the Spurs had the respect to do a proper interview.

Like I said, he needs to grow up and reasonably commit to giving a good interview. He purposely makes it a "thing" with his theatrics. Nobody is asking him to give a speech or lay out his entire strategy for the mere 10 to 14 in-game interviews for when his team is on ESPN each season, including the playoffs. It's not unreasonable to expect generic answers delivered unlike a rude jerk which is what every other coach gives.

Clearly, you don't watch him often enough, based off your first line. Do your research and come back to me, cause you couldn't be more wrong

beasted86
06-05-2016, 11:12 PM
It's not weak minded. Nobody should be forced to talk to someone.

My guess is if you were forced to stop doing your job at a critical moment and then told to go talk to someone who isn't helping you do your job at all and then they ask you stupid questions they are not going to get a well considered expansive answer.

It's a dumb policy and I hope every coach starts doing it so we can get rid of it.

What seems to be eluding you is that this IS his job.

Like I'll repeat... part of being a professional is doing your job completely and keeping the same high standards throughout all parts of your job, not just the parts you like doing.

beasted86
06-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Clearly, you don't watch him often enough, based off your first line. Do your research and come back to me, cause you couldn't be more wrong
Clearly I don't? Moe like clearly you've never.

We get the same curt, douchy answers in the post game interviews. Based on your comment it's safe to assume you've never watched any of the press conferences following Spurs games, so here are some very recent conferences with him talking down to numerous reporters like the inconsiderate a-hole he is:

https://youtu.be/CexaUUKhweU
https://youtu.be/nqQoRg5mB1M

beasted86
06-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Pretty much just Google all of his last 6 interviews and they are all filled with him giving curt answers and responses as though media members are all idiots for trying to ask simple questions.

Scoots
06-06-2016, 01:23 AM
What seems to be eluding you is that this IS his job.

Like I'll repeat... part of being a professional is doing your job completely and keeping the same high standards throughout all parts of your job, not just the parts you like doing.

He was hired to coach the team and when he was hired he didn't have to talk to the press mid-game. The NBA changed the rules after he got the gig. Someone changing the rules around you does not make it a good rule and as far as I know the rule does not force him to be cordial, nor has his actual employer ever said anything negative about his habits with the press mid-game. The only people complaining are employees of corporations that are reporting on the corporation that the corporation he works for has a contract with. Pretty tenuous to decide he agreed or has to be always a nice guy to be professional. I know plenty of professionals who can be jerks and still be professional.

Randy West
06-06-2016, 01:31 AM
Think Pop is just 100% business and all about the actual game he coaches. I don't think he honestly cares about doing any extra press or media........or might even think it's just plain silly. Gives the shortest answer possible and he's out

beasted86
06-06-2016, 01:48 AM
He was hired to coach the team and when he was hired he didn't have to talk to the press mid-game. The NBA changed the rules after he got the gig. Someone changing the rules around you does not make it a good rule and as far as I know the rule does not force him to be cordial, nor has his actual employer ever said anything negative about his habits with the press mid-game. The only people complaining are employees of corporations that are reporting on the corporation that the corporation he works for has a contract with. Pretty tenuous to decide he agreed or has to be always a nice guy to be professional. I know plenty of professionals who can be jerks and still be professional.
Oh, so I guess Pop is the first guy in the history of life to have his job duties change after he was hired.

Please, just stop. The guy is a jerk for no reason at all. There's no valid excuse for his behavior. He's unprofessional not to any specific journalist because of a past article or question, not because the given person at the moment was asking a particularly bad question... None of that. He's just a jerk because he seems to think it's cool or entertaining, and carries himself like everyone else in the room is an idiot.

Media coverage is a valuable asset to the league growing their brand, that's why these press conferences and interviews exist. The NBA made an agreement with ESPN to allow sideline reports, and since the beginning of time allowed press passes and held post game conferences. Pop needs to get over himself and just answer questions in a professional manner like the other 29 coaches do. He's the only one who consistently gives these curt answers and talks down to media members in post game questioning.

Wah-wah...The poor baby can't do a sideline interview that takes :30 out of the 5:00+ minute quarter break for 12x year, and doesn't want to talk to reporters for 4 minutes after a game.

I wish more people would call him out on this than being his apologist.

Scoots
06-06-2016, 02:07 AM
Oh, so I guess Pop is the first guy in the history of life to have his job duties change after he was hired.

Please, just stop. The guy is a jerk for no reason at all. There's no valid excuse for his behavior. He's unprofessional not to any specific journalist because of a past article or question, not because the given person at the moment was asking a particularly bad question... None of that. He's just a jerk because he seems to think it's cool or entertaining, and carries himself like everyone else in the room is an idiot.

Media coverage is a valuable asset to the league growing their brand, that's why these press conferences and interviews exist. The NBA made an agreement with ESPN to allow sideline reports, and since the beginning of time allowed press passes and held post game conferences. Pop needs to get over himself and just answer questions in a professional manner like the other 29 coaches do. He's the only one who consistently gives these curt answers and talks down to media members in post game questioning.

Wah-wah...The poor baby can't do a sideline interview that takes :30 out of the 5:00+ minute quarter break for 12x year, and doesn't want to talk to reporters for 4 minutes after a game.

HIS BOSS DOESN'T CARE. If his boss doesn't care why should he care what other people think? Is it going to help his career to be nice to reporters? Is it going to make him any better at his real job of coaching the team? The ONLY reason to be loquacious is to make whiners happy, and he just doesn't care apparently.

beasted86
06-06-2016, 02:13 AM
HIS BOSS DOESN'T CARE. If his boss doesn't care why should he care what other people think? Is it going to help his career to be nice to reporters? Is it going to make him any better at his real job of coaching the team? The ONLY reason to be loquacious is to make whiners happy, and he just doesn't care apparently.

Yeah, I know that. I think he knows and clearly accepts the fact that he's a jackazz when it comes to interviews.

But him knowing it still doesn't make it ok. People should also not 'just accept it' as ok or apologize it away either. Just as he gets to keep conducting interviews that way until the NBA does something about, we get to keep calling him a douche for doing them like this until he changes.

SteBO
06-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I know that. I think he knows and clearly accepts the fact that he's a jackazz when it comes to interviews.

But him knowing it still doesn't make it ok. People should also not 'just accept it' as ok or apologize it away either. Just as he gets to keep conducting interviews that way until the NBA does something about, we get to keep calling him a douche for doing them like this until he changes.
You're absolutely spot on. Still doesn't make the sideline interviews mid-game any less stupid, and Pop makes a spoof out of it for that reason. You're entitled to call him a douche, but he's not gonna change, nor should he feel the need to. But, to each their own.

JasonJohnHorn
06-06-2016, 09:42 AM

Please, just stop. The guy is a jerk for no reason at all. There's no valid excuse for his behavior.

There is a valid reason. He doesn't want to give details of his game plan to the media for the other team to use. He's a coach. His first job is to make sure his team wins. Giving out details about the adjustments he's going to make only strengthens his opponent's hand. Why would you do that? If you are playing poker, do you lay your cards out for your opponent to see before you even place a bet?

kdspurman
06-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Clearly I don't? Moe like clearly you've never.

We get the same curt, douchy answers in the post game interviews. Based on your comment it's safe to assume you've never watched any of the press conferences following Spurs games, so here are some very recent conferences with him talking down to numerous reporters like the inconsiderate a-hole he is:

https://youtu.be/CexaUUKhweU
https://youtu.be/nqQoRg5mB1M

Wait, did you actually listen to the ones you posted? Those are douchey to you? You've got thin skin man. Very thin... Did you hear those questions in the Game 1 post game presser? My goodness....

Here are some more of "douchey" Pop, since you provided a very small sample size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPtnFDmNyWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K22NDFpNgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiYGNIPlWs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzX0L61lQYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUjRGnkwptQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90AVPAGqw48 (he's a REAL Jerk in this one.... prior to a Game 7. Wow.. What a tool! :mad: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs9nFQ3oX6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1FIax93Ekg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZTPtENQCY (not a post game interview, but Pop discussing basketball fundamentals and basics in great length, showing the kind of character he has)

If anyone wants to feel a certain way about the in between quarter interviews, I get that. (though I can find a bunch of those where he is not so "short" with the reporters. But if you have a problem with how he is in the post game interviews like the ones above and the ones YOU posted, then like I said, you've got very thin skin.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Doris on her period?

Pops is short to everyone. If he gave JVG a little bit more of an answer, that is most likely because JVG is a respected NBA coach, of which Pops is as well, and he would obviously give more of a **** when answering.

Scoots
06-06-2016, 10:33 AM

The reality is that the NBA should adjust their rules that the team has to make someone available, not that it has to be Pop and the problem is solved.

ewing
06-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Doris on her period?

Pops is short to everyone. If he gave JVG a little bit more of an answer, that is most likely because JVG is a respected NBA coach, of which Pops is as well, and he would obviously give more of a **** when answering.

Or he just likes Jeff more. That is part of the business. Doris needs to deal.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Or he just likes Jeff more. That is part of the business. Doris needs to deal.

he probably does like a coach more than a reporter. Yes, Doris needs to stop crying like a *****

smith&wesson
06-06-2016, 11:08 AM
earth to Dorris. not every one loves your profession... Some people view the media as rumor starters, pesky, annoying etc. Coaches and players have to speak to the media, doesn't mean they like it.

JVG was a coach, there's a different admiration and respect for someone who once coached as well.

beasted86
06-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Wait, did you actually listen to the ones you posted? Those are douchey to you? You've got thin skin man. Very thin... Did you hear those questions in the Game 1 post game presser? My goodness....

Here are some more of "douchey" Pop, since you provided a very small sample size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPtnFDmNyWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K22NDFpNgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiYGNIPlWs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzX0L61lQYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUjRGnkwptQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90AVPAGqw48 (he's a REAL Jerk in this one.... prior to a Game 7. Wow.. What a tool! :mad: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs9nFQ3oX6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1FIax93Ekg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZTPtENQCY (not a post game interview, but Pop discussing basketball fundamentals and basics in great length, showing the kind of character he has)

If anyone wants to feel a certain way about the in between quarter interviews, I get that. (though I can find a bunch of those where he is not so "short" with the reporters. But if you have a problem with how he is in the post game interviews like the ones above and the ones YOU posted, then like I said, you've got very thin skin.

It's either you're a blind homer or you're actually entertained by his act and therefore cannot see how he can easily come across as a know it all condescending douche.

He just has to be "that guy". He cannot answer and conduct an interview start to finish "normally" like the other 29 coaches who mostly answer straight forward and don't adlib BS.

kdspurman
06-06-2016, 11:38 PM
It's either you're a blind homer or you're actually entertained by his act and therefore cannot see how he can easily come across as a know it all condescending douche.

He just has to be "that guy". He cannot answer and conduct an interview start to finish "normally" like the other 29 coaches who mostly answer straight forward and don't adlib BS.

Well, considering you're one of the only ones going on about him being a douche, like I said you must have some very thin skin.

Nothing to do with being a blind Homer, I know how he comes across in the between quarter interviews most of the times. But you seem to think he's always a douche, which like I showed just is not true.

Scoots
06-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Well, considering you're one of the only ones going on about him being a douche, like I said you must have some very thin skin.

Nothing to do with being a blind Homer, I know how he comes across in the between quarter interviews most of the times. But you seem to think he's always a douche, which like I showed just is not true.

Pop can actually be a really great speaker to groups and is very personable in person. He just doesn't need the press. And I'd wager that Doris has not made her job any easier, with Pop or others.

kdspurman
06-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Pop can actually be a really great speaker to groups and is very personable in person. He just doesn't need the press. And I'd wager that Doris has not made her job any easier, with Pop or others.

Exactly. I showed Beasted several examples, but he isn't trying to hear it.

Pop is a really great speaker and gives great interviews... I'm interested to see the Doris/Pop encounter next myself.

Rivera
06-07-2016, 12:57 PM
It's funny because he treats all sideline reporters the same (minus sager with his cancer announcement)

And the best part to me of this? I feel Doris Burke gets the most response out of pop compared to any sideline reporter (not named sager).

Hawkeye15
06-07-2016, 01:10 PM

oh Pops can absolutely be a douche at times. But I find it comical.

kdspurman
06-07-2016, 01:25 PM
It's funny because he treats all sideline reporters the same (minus sager with his cancer announcement)

And the best part to me of this? I feel Doris Burke gets the most response out of pop compared to any sideline reporter (not named sager).

this is very true too lol he had the infamous "turnovers" interview with her, but he does usually give her a little extra than the other reporters

Hawkeye15
06-07-2016, 01:40 PM
this is very true too lol he had the infamous "turnovers" interview with her, but he does usually give her a little extra than the other reporters

I do love some of his answers though.

"Coach, what adjustments do you plan on making to get better offense?"

"I will ask my guys nicely is they can make more of their shots"

Scoots
06-07-2016, 01:58 PM

It's things like this that make me wonder if anybody is paying attention before they complain.

kdspurman
06-07-2016, 02:24 PM

lol haha.. I'm a bit of a smart ***, so maybe I appreciate it a bit more. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I'm like dag... That was harsh..

But others it's like, how many different ways can you answer the same generic questions over and over again?

Hawkeye15
06-07-2016, 02:27 PM
lol haha.. I'm a bit of a smart ***, so maybe I appreciate it a bit more. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I'm like dag... That was harsh..

But others it's like, how many different ways can you answer the same generic questions over and over again?

exactly dude. I would be just like him probably. He is a no b.s. type of guy. The only one who I found kind of annoying was Bobby Knight. He was legit mean to reporters.

Scoots
06-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Don Nelson used to do similar things, he was just a big more flowery about it and he never quite got to the one word surly answers.

It's hardly new. It's the obvious result of a stupid NBA rule.

Steve Kerr usually jokes in them and now I'm hearing people complain that he's joking too much.

Personally I'd rather have the game start, play the game, end the game. I don't ever need to hear the coach talk and say nothing.

ewing
06-08-2016, 07:12 AM

I remember when Riles coached my knicks he called distractions "peripheral opponents" one of the biggest ones is the media. I am sure Pop hates in game interviews and that is part of why he does what he does but I think he is also setting a tone for his team. Basically saying we don't give a **** about what is said about us outside this locker room. Once there is a little distance b/t him and the game he actually seems like a super nice guy.

ewing
06-08-2016, 07:17 AM
exactly dude. I would be just like him probably. He is a no b.s. type of guy. The only one who I found kind of annoying was Bobby Knight. He was legit mean to reporters.

he was hilarious

Scoots
06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Knight was like Pop. I got to talk to him in Vegas for about 5 minutes ... he was a really warm funny guy.

Drill Sergeants are not all jerks (some are), they are doing the job the best they can and that includes putting on a show. Coaches do the same thing.

Hawkeye15
06-08-2016, 11:06 AM
he was hilarious

he was, but he would literally insult reporters, which isn't cool. But always funny.

Vee-Rex
06-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Yeah not seeing what the issue is here. Pop is fine.

beasted86
06-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Exactly. I showed Beasted several examples, but he isn't trying to hear it.

Pop is a really great speaker and gives great interviews... I'm interested to see the Doris/Pop encounter next myself.
So did I say every single interview he's a douchebag? No. But he's the only one who consistently fills that role and talks down to the media.

No other coach makes it a habit. He's the only one who finds time to go out of his way to answer questions in a curt fashion or deviate with extra BS, whether that's sideline or post game interviews.

kdspurman
06-08-2016, 02:24 PM
So did I say every single interview he's a douchebag? No. But he's the only one who consistently fills that role and talks down to the media.

No other coach makes it a habit. He's the only one who finds time to go out of his way to answer questions in a curt fashion or deviate with extra BS, whether that's sideline or post game interviews.

beasted86

Maybe you didn't say "every single" interview, but all the bolded are complete crap.

I will say again though, I kindaaa get the in game interviews cause sometimes he goes overboard. but there's a reason many members of the media love Pop too. They know those 7 second interviews don't define him as an interviewer and know how he really is.

The post game stuff like i said, i see no argument there.. many coaches post game are a little upset or fed up with some of the **** they're asked, it isn't just Pop. Pop is Pop, whether it's a win or a loss. I can however find many videos where a coach was pissed off in a post game press conference, that's not uncommon man.

if you're bothered by the videos i put, or even the ones you put, then folks just have different sensitivity levels I guess.

Pop was about this too not too long ago: (he also didn't give a "curt" answer" )

Q: So people were asking me all week why your style was considered any different than Marshawnís. Iíve got my own opinion, but how do you see it?

A: The only time Iím uncooperative is the end of the first or third quarter. Other than that, I do interviews and laugh it up with everybody all the time. I just have a philosophical difference with the NBA, and I let them know it every time. But thatís like 1% of the interviews that I do.

He's completely right too. If you think those start of quarter interviews define who Pop is re: interviews, you are very wrong. I doubt you watched the videos I put, but you probably should. Maybe it'll get you thinking differently.

ewing
06-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Knight was like Pop. I got to talk to him in Vegas for about 5 minutes ... he was a really warm funny guy.

Drill Sergeants are not all jerks (some are), they are doing the job the best they can and that includes putting on a show. Coaches do the same thing.

I know someone who played for coach knight at Texas Tech. From what i know he can be an extremely giving guy, is incredibly charismatic, but is also one hard SOB on and off the court. I don't know but i get the impression Pop is a generally nice and unassuming dude away from the team. It just seems Coach Knight persona is more reflective of him off the court.

Vinylman
06-08-2016, 06:55 PM

Talk about a ****ing sheep... the NBA is getting exactly what they want out of POP... controversy... what other sideline interviews are people talking about on message boards?

Your ignorance of the media's role in NBA marketing is mind boggling. Controversy gets ratings not some 30 sec piece on how PNR is working in the game...

rent a clue