PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Coaches Today

5ass
06-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Who are the top 10 coaches in the league today?

Monta is beast
06-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Steve Kerr
Luke Walton
Ron Adams
Jaron Collins
Nick U'Ren
Greg Popovich
Brett Brown
George Karl

flea
06-03-2016, 07:41 PM
No order:

Vogel
Carlisle
Popovich
Stevens
Kerr
Donovan
Spoelstra
SVG
Bud
Stotts

I could see Joeger in there instead of one but I left him out. Some will complain about Spo but he's always been underrated because of the Lebron Effect™ and the Heat's whiny fans. He managed an old and mismatched roster deeply in flux between injuries, age, and youth and he turned out the 3rd best team in the East anyway.

CHANGO
06-03-2016, 07:50 PM
It's usually the usual suspects with;

Pop
Stotts
Kerr
Vogel
Thibs
SVG
Joerger
Stevens
Spoelstra
Carlisle

But I have to add Donovan to the list, I know it was just a playoffs run, but that defense was just too damn good, I was impressed. I have to give credit to the coach there because I don't know who was the architect.

LanceUpperCut
06-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Pop

Budenholzer
Kerr
Stevens
Stotts
Carlisle
SVG
Tibs
Donovan
Clifford/Casey/Walton/Vogel can't choose.

Stunner
06-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Well Pops / Thibs / Kerr are top 5

yungincome
06-04-2016, 01:50 AM
Pop

Budenholzer
Kerr
Stevens
Stotts
Carlisle
SVG
Tibs
Donovan
Clifford/Casey/Walton/Vogel can't choose.

Walton?

Other then that, I like everything else.

naps
06-04-2016, 04:21 AM
Steve Kerr is a prime example of prisoner of the moment. He is good but I just think he is being overrated because of his historic team. I meam we got to see how they play wothout him. They only went 39-4 without him.

Monta is beast
06-04-2016, 04:47 AM
Using his system and chemistry he helped create. Look what he took them from to where there at now.

beasted86
06-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Steve Kerr
Luke Walton
Ron Adams
Jaron Collins
Nick U'Ren
Greg Popovich
Brett Brown
George Karl

Troll harder

Most of your list is trolling

DboneG
06-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Stevens
Vogal
Joerger
Casey
Stotts
Budenholzer
Van Gundy
Thibs
Carlisle...I sure as heck wouldn't want to play for him. Control freak. Calling plays too much.
Mark Jackson
Billy Donovan was my last pick, but, he lost to GSW. He was doing a great job...exploiting Curry on defense, then, he went away from it. YOU GO TO THAT WELL TILL IT'S DRY!! He must have got a call from Adam Silver. Hack-a-Bogut, Hack-a-Ezeli, RWB attacking...then poof! He stopped. Strange brew.

KnickNyKnick
06-04-2016, 01:26 PM
in order

Hornacek
Pop
Stotts
Kerr
Vogel
Thibs
SVG
Joerger
Stevens
Spoelstra
Carlisle

sf-fanatic
06-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Stevens
Vogal
Joerger
Casey
Stotts
Budenholzer
Van Gundy
Thibs
Carlisle...I sure as heck wouldn't want to play for him. Control freak. Calling plays too much.
Mark Jackson
Billy Donovan was my last pick, but, he lost to GSW. He was doing a great job...exploiting Curry on defense, then, he went away from it. YOU GO TO THAT WELL TILL IT'S DRY!! He must have got a call from Adam Silver. Hack-a-Bogut, Hack-a-Ezeli, RWB attacking...then poof! He stopped. Strange brew.

Mark Jackson over Steve Kerr ???

SeoulBeatz
06-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Pop is head and shoulders above the rest IMO.
I don't think Kawhi would be the player he is today without him.

He brings out the best in his players and commands respect. He's a no nonsense coach, if you let up for one second you're in the doghouse.

Love his attitude and philosophy.

DboneG
06-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Mark Jackson over Steve Kerr ???

Steve Kerr is not a good coach yet. He's getting there. It wasn't his idea to play small-ball in last years Finals. GSW are on cruise control. I could coach them and win games. I can smash a clipboard, I can scream "C'mon!"... Call a time-out when the other team hit a 3. Insert Ezeli, if he make one mistake, pull him! EASY!
That's about what Kerr does.

Mark deserve credit for help building that team.

5ass
06-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Steve Kerr is not a good coach yet. He's getting there. It wasn't his idea to play small-ball in last years Finals. GSW are on cruise control. I could coach them and win games. I can smash a clipboard, I can scream "C'mon!"... Call a time-out when the other team hit a 3. Insert Ezeli, if he make one mistake, pull him! EASY!

He deserves some credit but he's not better than Kerr.

cmellofan15
06-04-2016, 04:44 PM

it's weird that you think that's all that he does and yet still has had MUCH more success than Mark Jackson in the short time he's been there. what does that say about Jackson?

sure, he deserves some credit for showing the warriors what brand of basketball not to play in an effort to win a championship. but does that make him better than the guy who won them a ring and is on pace to win another in a historic season? hell no

DboneG
06-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Kerr kinda suck as a player...he kinda suck as a coach. He don't know how to make adjustments on the fly. He pretty much have to wait until half-time to do that. He get all his moves from his assistants.

I'll tell you again...The GSW are on cruise control. It's been like that for some time now.
JUST DON'T MESS WITH IT. They will win.

Credit should go to the training staff, for keeping these guys healthy. And the support team. Keeping everybody happy and the wheels greased. Kerr get a bit of credit. But, a top coach?! NO SIR!

Spo...Kerr...Pops. Overrated. Put Poop on any other team without Tim Duncan, he gets fired.
Spo?! He's garbage! Kerr?! He's a suit.(look good) That's about it. He's getting better.

J_M_B
06-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Pop
Carlisle
Stevens
Thibodeau
Kerr
Spoelstra
Van Gundy
Vogel
Budenholzer
Clifford

No particular order after Pop

JasonJohnHorn
06-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Pop.

Then a bunch of other guys.

I'm still out on Kerr. I have to see what he does in the long run. He was given an amazing team. Very fortunate, and he has done extremely well with them, but so did Luke Walton. Time will tell. We might have looked at a guy like 'Antoni after his stint in Phoenix and said: HE IS AMAZING!!! But then there was New York and LAL. So.... not so great after all. I don't expect Kerr would fall along the same lines, but we need to see how Kerr handles things in the long run.

Doc is still a great coach, but he has allowed his familial ties to dilute his effectiveness.

I am excited to see Thibs in Minny. He was solid in Chicago, but now he has a chance to show if that was a matter of having the right set of guys, or great coaching.

Then there are guys like Vogel and Carlisle. They are great. SVG seems to have shown he is a solid coach with different rosters.

People are high on a few other coaches who have only had one stint, but once we see them with a couple of other rosters, I think they won't be ranked quite so high.

I'm excited to see how Horny does in New York next year. I think Phoenix made a mistake firing him.

bgdreton
06-04-2016, 11:35 PM
Why no love for Casey???? Wierd because I think raptors squad isn't really that good but he has lead them deep into the playoffs this year?

Scoots
06-05-2016, 03:37 AM
Stevens
Vogal
Joerger
Casey
Stotts
Budenholzer
Van Gundy
Thibs
Mark Jackson

You know his name is Russell Westbrook not Russell West Brook right? Or do you not understand how initials work?

And Mark Jackson ... LOL ... why not include Jeff Van Gundy too? And Phil Jackson? And Pat Riley? Lenny Wilkins, Don Nelson, Jerry Sloan, Larry Brown?

DboneG
06-05-2016, 09:29 AM
I use RWB, because you knew exactly who I was talking about.

Mark Jackson and Thibs are recent, they are still out there. Mark understand the game...the ebb and flow, making moves on the fly, the small adjustments. Thibs is a great mind. I think he work his guys a bit too hard. He's still one of the better coaches out there.

Scoots
06-05-2016, 11:04 AM
I use RWB, because you knew exactly who I was talking about.

Mark Jackson and Thibs are recent, they are still out there. Mark understand the game...the ebb and flow, making moves on the fly, the small adjustments. Thibs is a great mind. I think he work his guys a bit too hard. He's still one of the better coaches out there.

I didn't know who you meant by RWB, had to think about it for a while ... because it's not an acronym I know nor initials I know.

Thibs has a gig ... Jackson still hasn't been interviewed since he was fired (supposedly the Wolves were considering him, but they met with Thibs and Jackson didn't get interviewed).

I don't know if Kerr is a great coach yet, but I do know that he put together a great coaching staff that has produced 2 NBA head coaches in 2 seasons, and is looking at 2 titles in 2 seasons, and has had a team be fairly consistent and rank in the top 5 on offense and defense for both of his seasons on the bench. I KNOW Kerr is very good. Great I'll wait for.

effen5
06-05-2016, 11:59 AM
It's pops thibs Kerr than everyone else.

People still underrate thibs like crazy. He took a below average team to contenders while he was with the bulls. Look what happened last year....with the exact same roster, this team became a lottery team. Blame it on injuries but let's not act like thibs didn't have injuries during his regime and people still expected a Bulls v heat ECF every year.

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2016, 12:37 PM
it's weird that you think that's all that he does and yet still has had MUCH more success than Mark Jackson in the short time he's been there. what does that say about Jackson?

sure, he deserves some credit for showing the warriors what brand of basketball not to play in an effort to win a championship. but does that make him better than the guy who won them a ring and is on pace to win another in a historic season? hell no

I hate when people $#!T on Jackson. I'm not sure he's all that great, and I think he may very well be a petty and vindictive person from the stories that I've head, but he DID do a good job with the Warriors.

They got better every year. Period. Are they better now? Of course. Because guys who were only 22 or 23, or 24, who would have still been in college 20 years ago, are now in the prime of their careers. Though Kerr largely has the same roster, they are all better players because they are now in their prime.

Has Kerr done a great job. YES!! Is he winning more games with his style than Jackson would be were he still in GSW? YES!!

But Jackson had a three-year window where that team won more games in 3 seasons than they had in any 3 consecutive season in decades. That is an impressive accomplishment.

Jackson did a great job with that team and does deserve credit for what he accomplished, even if Kerr is better suited for the team.

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Why no love for Casey???? Wierd because I think raptors squad isn't really that good but he has lead them deep into the playoffs this year?

Good point. That is not a great team, and he gets the most out of them. they are coming together. I think once DMDR gets moved elsewhere and they bring in a SG that can shoot they'll be in a good spot.

Scoots
06-05-2016, 12:57 PM
I hate when people $#!T on Jackson. I'm not sure he's all that great, and I think he may very well be a petty and vindictive person from the stories that I've head, but he DID do a good job with the Warriors.

They got better every year. Period. Are they better now? Of course. Because guys who were only 22 or 23, or 24, who would have still been in college 20 years ago, are now in the prime of their careers. Though Kerr largely has the same roster, they are all better players because they are now in their prime.

Has Kerr done a great job. YES!! Is he winning more games with his style than Jackson would be were he still in GSW? YES!!

But Jackson had a three-year window where that team won more games in 3 seasons than they had in any 3 consecutive season in decades. That is an impressive accomplishment.

Jackson did a great job with that team and does deserve credit for what he accomplished, even if Kerr is better suited for the team.

Jackson did a good job, but his personality had him firing, pushing away, or not re-signing assistant coaches and as they left the coaching got worse even as the players got better to the point where in year 3 his coaching was considerably worse than it was the previous year when it was already suspect.

Jackson's issues are so numerous he should not be hired to be an NBA head coach until he demonstrates he's learned from his mistakes which he has not come close to yet. His ego doesn't allow him to learn. The fact that there have been 28 coaching changes in the NBA and Jackson has not been interviewed for a single one should be telling about his "quality".

Jackson was at his best as a charismatic leader for the franchise and that he believed in his players when they maybe didn't believe in themselves. So some credit for that, but at this point that is so far from what the team is now the amount of credit he gets should be minimal.

5ass
06-05-2016, 04:16 PM
I just realized more than 1 in 3 NBA teams went through a coaching change this year... that's crazy

archdevil84
06-05-2016, 04:52 PM
steve clifford is severely underrated

Jamiecballer
06-05-2016, 05:09 PM
It seems like everyones definition of coaching is basically x's and o's and allocating minutes and that seems to miss an awful large portion of "coaching". Otherwise how else is basically everyone overlooking Casey who has overseen a complete culture shift in Toronto and built a hard-working team that has won more games over the past three seasons than almost every other team without a single elite "talent"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

bgdreton
06-05-2016, 05:20 PM
It seems like everyones definition of coaching is basically x's and o's and allocating minutes and that seems to miss an awful large portion of "coaching". Otherwise how else is basically everyone overlooking Casey who has overseen a complete culture shift in Toronto and built a hard-working team that has won more games over the past three seasons than almost every other team without a single elite "talent"

I mean it's basically what you said or what I don't really want to say the reason is.......... Thats why I asked why no love? Toronto are basically a bunch of chuckers with a descent big man and they got to the east finals and took 2 games from the Cavs.

aman_13
06-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Toronto has one of the best back courts in the game. Two all stars that have more times than not carried this team to wins. Casey is a good coach and gets his teams to play good defense but let's not act like he has not much to work with.

Jamiecballer
06-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Toronto has one of the best back courts in the game. Two all stars that have more times than not carried this team to wins. Casey is a good coach and gets his teams to play good defense but let's not act like he has not much to work with.
He has middle of the league talent and that is not much

aman_13
06-05-2016, 09:19 PM
He has middle of the league talent and that is not much

I disagree.

CHANGO
06-05-2016, 09:25 PM
WELP, IDK how you can rank a coach high when almost the 70% of the Raptors fans here say Casey sucks and the Raptors have a deep bench. So, IDK about that. To me, he is a great defensive coach but on the other side he falls short.

Lil Rhody
06-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Any list with out Stevens is wrong. Have you seen the Celtics roster I mean come on. Just wait till he actually gets a god player

Scoots
06-06-2016, 01:13 AM
The best evaluation of a coach is dead ball offense/defense, and getting the right players on the floor to take advantage of matchups regardless of the talent on the team.

I think it's funny that Pop gets a pass for doing it with elite talent (not that Pop is anything but one of the best all time), but Kerr is criticized for winning with elite talent, even though that talent lost in the first round before he came to town. I could understand criticizing Kerr if he was losing ... but he's not.

In no particular order Pop, Kerr, Stevens, Thibs, Carlisle, Bud, SVG

bgdreton
06-06-2016, 06:08 AM

Ok if he is a good coach why was he listed in only one posters response? Just curious... I doesn't make sense he tram is massively overrated with 2 all star chuckers who play no D and one big man. Yet they made it to the ECF and took 2 games from the Cavs. Wierd just wierd.

bgdreton
06-06-2016, 06:11 AM
WELP, IDK how you can rank a coach high when almost the 70% of the Raptors fans here say Casey sucks and the Raptors have a deep bench. So, IDK about that. To me, he is a great defensive coach but on the other side he falls short.

Link??? Where are those stats can I read them?

bgdreton
06-06-2016, 06:12 AM
Steve Kerr is a prime example of prisoner of the moment. He is good but I just think he is being overrated because of his historic team. I meam we got to see how they play wothout him. They only went 39-4 without him.

He is a good coach be quiet

CHANGO
06-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Link??? Where are those stats can I read them?

Go to the HEAT vs Raptors playoffs thread, and the Cavs vs Raptors playoffs thread.

Between the discussions about Lowry and DeRozan struggling, you will find lot of posts of Raptors fans saying that Casey sucks and that the Raptors are a deep team. (I never agreed with the 2nd one).

aman_13
06-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Ok if he is a good coach why was he listed in only one posters response? Just curious... I doesn't make sense he tram is massively overrated with 2 all star chuckers who play no D and one big man. Yet they made it to the ECF and took 2 games from the Cavs. Wierd just wierd.

Just because he's not listed in the top 10, doesn't mean he's not a good coach. All I'm saying is he's had legitimate talent to work with. They won 56 games this yr, 49 last yr and 48 the yr before. It didn't happen just because of coaching.

MygirlhatesCod
06-06-2016, 02:03 PM
thibs
kerr
pop
Donovan
spo

I do understand the love for pop because he has been a winner for many years now but I feel like he has slipped some due to the last two years. they have underachieved especially this year. his roster consistency has made his job a lot easier. I do feel like thibs could do a lot more with the constant change he was subject to.

bgdreton
06-06-2016, 02:28 PM

Just because he's not listed in the top 10, doesn't mean he's not a good coach. All I'm saying is he's had legitimate talent to work with. They won 56 games this yr, 49 last yr and 48 the yr before. It didn't happen just because of coaching.

Honestly it kind of does because that would put him closer to top 15 or so and that my friend would be considered avg.

KnicksorBust
06-06-2016, 02:50 PM
In order for next season:
Popovich
Thibs
Kerr
Stevens
Carlisle
Casey
Joeger
Vogel
Stotts
Bud
Clifford

LanceUpperCut
06-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Casey is a great leader and that's what you want from your coach. MU and Casey are a very good pair and have the respect of everyone on the team. He's also made great improvements in many area's this season.

NYKalltheway
06-07-2016, 05:59 AM
There's ten? More like 5, 6 at best. The rest are below average.

wildbear
06-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Popovich and Carlisle are the top 2. Then after that in no order: Stotts, Stevens, Vogel, Budenholzer, Spoelstra.

IBleedPurple
06-08-2016, 02:32 PM
There's ten? More like 5, 6 at best. The rest are below average.Do you know what average means?

NYKalltheway
06-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Do you know what average means?

Yes, I do. I don't think you do.

Basketball coaches. That means that the level = basketball coach level. That includes all coaches, from the NBA to the AAU.
The NBA coaches are BELOW AVERAGE. Throughout the coaching talent around the world. Some are top class, most are below average.

Get it now?