PDA

View Full Version : Which teams would excel in today's NBA?

More-Than-Most
06-02-2016, 12:32 AM
80s/90s/2000-2010 Only... Explain why

lol, please
06-02-2016, 01:33 AM
Bad Boy Pistons - most teams are soft when it comes to physical basketball these days, and not just because of the rule changes.

Bird's Celtics. Bird was like a fusion of the Splash Bros, before the Splash Bros. In an era that shuns physical play and encourages 3's, those Celtics teams would be hard to beat.

Shaq's Lakers. Because Shaq. He dominates in any era.

FlashBolt
06-02-2016, 01:38 AM
This is why I can't take posts like the guy above makes.. Bad Boy Pistons got away with plenty of ******** that would not have allowed them to excel in today's league. What the hell makes you think they would be able to do what they did to Jordan to Curry in today's league? Pistons resorted to dirty cheap tactics to get an advantage. They wouldn't excel if you're calling a flagrant on every foul, would they? Jesus..

Raidaz4Life
06-02-2016, 06:41 AM
The early 2000's Kings would dominate

KnicksorBust
06-02-2016, 07:54 AM
The early 2000's Kings would dominate

They wouldn't dominate. :laugh: But it is a great answer.

Raidaz4Life
06-02-2016, 08:36 AM
They would totally dominate. They would definitely be a 65+ win team every year

I dont see how that isnt dominating

valade16
06-02-2016, 09:15 AM
The teams that immediately came to mind were the early 00's Kings and the early 00's Suns.

I also think the early 90's Cavs would have done better as well.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 09:21 AM
The early 90's Suns team, with Barkley, Thunder Dan, KJ, etc. They had floor spacing, Chuck would be the ultimate big man in today's game, and they could play at whatever pace, while hiding some of Chuck's defensive inefficiencies

GREATNESS ONE
06-02-2016, 10:08 AM
2000 Lakers. Shaq would destroy this little man league.

Heediot
06-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Run TMC would do well. Their perimeter oriented team was be helped by today's rules.

Tony_Starks
06-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Showtime Lakers

Nash "MVP" Suns

Kobe and Shaq Lakers

90's Payton and Kemp Sonics

Kobe, Gasol and LO Lakers

J Kidd, K Mart, RJ Nets

mrblisterdundee
06-02-2016, 10:57 AM
The early 90's Suns team, with Barkley, Thunder Dan, KJ, etc. They had floor spacing, Chuck would be the ultimate big man in today's game, and they could play at whatever pace, while hiding some of Chuck's defensive inefficiencies

I'd love to see Charles Barkley vs. Draymond Green.

YAALREADYKNO
06-02-2016, 11:16 AM
I'd love to see Charles Barkley vs. Draymond Green.

BBQ chicken for Charles

ewing
06-02-2016, 11:17 AM
the good ones

YAALREADYKNO
06-02-2016, 11:17 AM
I'd like to think the early 00's Mavs with Dirk, Nash, Finley, Van Exel would do pretty good with this new small ball/shoot 3's thing going around now

Raidaz4Life
06-02-2016, 11:20 AM
The teams that immediately came to mind were the early 00's Kings and the early 00's Suns.

I also think the early 90's Cavs would have done better as well.

Its funny I actually almost put them as well!

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-02-2016, 11:21 AM
I'm a Kings fan so the early 2000's Kings is a team I would love to see in this era. In a way, they were well beyond their years. Obviously the mid 2000's Suns come to mind too.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 11:23 AM
the good ones

not that easy. Any team who was highly dependent on dumping it into the post to initiate offense wouldn't be as good today, if they didn't have an excellent perimeter game to compliment their post scorer. There is a reason the post big man is dead. Current rules don't make it a benefit to play that way anymore.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-02-2016, 11:27 AM
As for the early 2000's Mavs team, I get why they would be a popular pick, but I just don't know if they'd have enough defense. You still need to be able to play defense in this league. They were atrocious on the defensive end. That was always their biggest issue.

The think about the Kings on that era is that if it weren't for Shaq being such a dominant beast and then of course Webber hurting his knee the next season, I think that team wins multiple championships. In this era, I think they would do really well with some of the rule changes to help shooters... and there is nobody that resembles Shaq of course. It would be interesting to see. I'm just saying, looking at the Warriors team and putting them in a time machine to 2002 vs the Lakers... how would there fair with those rules and against a beast like Shaq? It would be very interesting to see. I just can't see them slowing down Shaq though, but maybe Curry and Thompson are still good enough to do what they do.

roshan3ai
06-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Bad Boy Pistons - most teams are soft when it comes to physical basketball these days, and not just because of the rule changes.

Bird's Celtics. Bird was like a fusion of the Splash Bros, before the Splash Bros. In an era that shuns physical play and encourages 3's, those Celtics teams would be hard to beat.

Shaq's Lakers. Because Shaq. He dominates in any era.

The Bad Boy Pistons front court would probably foul out or get a series of flagrant fouls before the first quarter even ended.

I think the Barkley Suns and Nash/Amar'e Suns are good answers. Also the Payton/Kemp Sonics would be awesome.

Maybe the West-Baylor-Wilt Lakers just because of the sheer amount of talent on that team and a spacer, dominating big man and a slasher. Wilt in the social media era could be a disaster though

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 11:47 AM
yeah the Bad Boys wouldn't even make it through warm ups before half the lineup was kicked out.

JAZZNC
06-02-2016, 12:41 PM
With the league being so pick and roll heavy I think the Jazz with Stock/Malone would have been fine. I know some people are gonna say no because Malone wouldn't be as good but he wasn't just a pound the ball into the ground type of big. He made quick decisions in the post and the pick and roll game would be almost unstoppable and Stockton would dominate in today's game IMO.

Other great answers are the Kings and Suns of the early 2000's, any team with prime Dirk, Kemp/Payton Sonics. Another that came to mind (probably still wouldn't be great but better) was those Cassell, Big Dog, Ray Allen Bucks teams.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 01:07 PM
With the league being so pick and roll heavy I think the Jazz with Stock/Malone would have been fine. I know some people are gonna say no because Malone wouldn't be as good but he wasn't just a pound the ball into the ground type of big. He made quick decisions in the post and the pick and roll game would be almost unstoppable and Stockton would dominate in today's game IMO.

Other great answers are the Kings and Suns of the early 2000's, any team with prime Dirk, Kemp/Payton Sonics. Another that came to mind (probably still wouldn't be great but better) was those Cassell, Big Dog, Ray Allen Bucks teams.

Yeah the Jazz would have been good. Horny could bomb, Stockton probably shoots more 3's, Malone could hit long 2's all night, they had floor spacers for sure.

valade16
06-02-2016, 01:15 PM

Malone was also considered one of the best (if not the best) rim running PFs (though Charles definitely can argue that). They would be a great team in todays NBA.

ewing
06-02-2016, 01:26 PM
not that easy. Any team who was highly dependent on dumping it into the post to initiate offense wouldn't be as good today, if they didn't have an excellent perimeter game to compliment their post scorer. There is a reason the post big man is dead. Current rules don't make it a benefit to play that way anymore.

The Cavs dump the ball into the post to Bron all the time. The Spurs dump the ball into LMA and KL in post all the time. OKC might be in the finals in they were smart enough to dump the ball into their 7 footer that could turn and shoot over anyone on the floor when they Warriors went on a run and they were turning it over all the time.

GREATNESS ONE
06-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Lol Shaq would destroy the Warriors.... Draymond would be fouled out by half time. Shaq would average 50pts and 20rebounds in the series.

The so called "new era" of basketball would have no answer for Prime Shaq.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 01:35 PM
The Cavs dump the ball into the post to Bron all the time. The Spurs dump the ball into LMA and KL in post all the time. OKC might be in the finals in they were smart enough to dump the ball into their 7 footer that could turn and shoot over anyone on the floor when they Warriors went on a run and they were turning it over all the time.

I am talking about teams that relied on back to the basket trench players to score, and run the offense.

We can take any great team in history and make a tweak or two with role players and keep them great. But a team like the 95' Knicks wouldn't be the same today. Same for the Pistons of the early 90's, etc.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Lol Shaq would destroy the Warriors.... Draymond would be fouled out by half time. Shaq would average 50pts and 20rebounds in the series.

The so called "new era" of basketball would have no answer for Prime Shaq.

well that is why he is a top 5-6 player ever. The greatest would be great in any era.

ewing
06-02-2016, 01:43 PM
I am talking about teams that relied on back to the basket trench players to score, and run the offense.

We can take any great team in history and make a tweak or two with role players and keep them great. But a team like the 95' Knicks wouldn't be the same today. Same for the Pistons of the early 90's, etc.

They call the game different. this will benefit some teams if you moved them and detract from some but overall the teams that excelled then would be the team that would excel now. The 90s knicks and heat transition more poorly then anyone i think. The early 90s Pistons would be fine. Want to guard Isiah in a pick and roll with out a hand check? Good luck. Want a mobile jump shooting 7 footer that hold down the boards and play D? Give me Bill Lamibeer. Want to go super small and still hold down boards have rim protection and play at crazy fast pace? OK i'll put rodman at center.

JAZZNC
06-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Malone was also considered one of the best (if not the best) rim running PFs (though Charles definitely can argue that). They would be a great team in todays NBA.

Yes, Malone is the best running big man ever, some could do it just as well but nobody did it with the consistency and effort that Malone did. I think one thing that would put the Jazz up there is the decision making of Stockton. As much emphasis as there is now on proper decision making especially from the PG position I think Stockton would flourish in today's game. I also look at what Delevadova did to Curry in the finals last year and can't help but wonder what would happen if you had a guy put forth that kind of effort every night AND had all time great skills.

One big thing to consider with the Jazz is coaching, I don't think that Sloans style would mesh well with today's NBA but that's a different story all together.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 02:17 PM
They call the game different. this will benefit some teams if you moved them and detract from some but overall the teams that excelled then would be the team that would excel now. The 90s knicks and heat transition more poorly then anyone i think. The early 90s Pistons would be fine. Want to guard Isiah in a pick and roll with out a hand check? Good luck. Want a mobile jump shooting 7 footer that hold down the boards and play D? Give me Bill Lamibeer. Want to go super small and still hold down boards have rim protection and play at crazy fast pace? OK i'll put rodman at center.

They do call it different, hence why certain good teams back then wouldn't be good now.

I will gladly let any perimeter player play today with a better chance of stopping them if they aren't a good shooter.

This is all in theory. In reality, IF a team like the Pistons from 1990 were playing now, their roster would be different, and their players would have been more oriented to train and practice under today's rules. Ie, be better 3 point shooters, and learn how to play by current rules.

Basically, it's asking, "If you could transplant a team via time machine to today, who would still be great?"

The trench teams wouldn't be as good.