PDA

View Full Version : Facts about your team

PhillyFaninLA
06-01-2016, 12:57 PM
The purpose of this topic is to share and discuss things that are not necessarily widely known about your favorite teams.

Enjoy and I look forward to learning more about your team

PhillyFaninLA
06-01-2016, 01:05 PM
76ers

3rd most wins in NBA history
7th most years in NBA
8th most games played
6th most losses
11th best win percentage (.514)
3rd most playoff appearances
6th most division titles
6th most conference titles
7th most titles
6 league times won the league MVP (4 people)
2 Rookies of the year and 2 sixth man of the year
Hal Greer, Iverson, Dolph Schayes, and Julies Erving are top 4 in order for points and minutes
Julies Erving is the all time blocks leader (this actually surprised me)
Mo Cheeks most assists and steals
Sixers currently have 3 players playing overseas
Sixers have some of the best teams and some of the worst teams in NBA history, they have also been one of the most successful teams overall in league history despite how bad the past 3 decades have been

14 Hall of Fame players
Dolph Shayes, Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer, Al Cervi, Billy Cunningham, Julius Erving, George Yardley, Bailey Howell, Bob McAdoo, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Chet Walker, Dikembe Mutombo, Allen Iverson
4 coaches made the hall of fame
Bennie Brogmann, Jack Ramsay, Alex Hannum, Larry Brown

Hawkeye15
06-01-2016, 03:02 PM
I would post my Wolves, but it would be like a Chinese period kung fu movie, where everyone dies in the end and it's super depressing

YAALREADYKNO
06-01-2016, 03:15 PM
The Mavs could've drafted
Isiah Thomas-1981 took mark aquirre
Charles Barkley-1984 took Sam Perkins
Karl Malone or Joe Dumars-1985 took detlef schremph

JAZZNC
06-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Utah Jazz-Karl Malone and John Stockton were good at basketball and I think they liked to run the pick n roll.

We actually drafted the Human Highlight.

I believe the only All Star we've had since Malone/Stockton was AK-47. The biggest free agent we've signed in my fandom was Okur (that makes me a sad panda). There hasn't been much to cheer about in Utah since Malone/Stockton left. We did have a 20yr stretch without a losing season (probably the most impressive was the year after Malone/Stockton left, Sloan got a team with AK as the best player to .500 with a supporting cast of Arroyo and Keyon Clark....how Jerry Sloan didn't win coach of the year that season is beyond me, that was one of the best coaching jobs in NBA history).

valade16
06-01-2016, 03:30 PM
The Blazers made the playoffs for 21 straight seasons, from 1983 to 2003. Longer than the current Spurs streak (19 seasons)

JWO35
06-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Only 3 teams since 1980 have won an NBA championship without a past, future, or present MVP.

The 3 Teams: 1989 Pistons, 1990 Pistons, and 2004 Pistons

dhopisthename
06-01-2016, 03:34 PM
Utah Jazz-Karl Malone and John Stockton were good at basketball and I think they liked to run the pick n roll.

I believe the only All Star we've had since Malone/Stockton was AK-47. The biggest free agent we've signed in my fandom was Okur (that makes me a sad panda). There hasn't been much to cheer about in Utah since Malone/Stockton left. We did have a 20yr stretch without a losing season (probably the most impressive was the year after Malone/Stockton left, Sloan got a team with AK as the best player to .500 with a supporting cast of Arroyo and Keyon Clark....how Jerry Sloan didn't win coach of the year that season is beyond me, that was one of the best coaching jobs in NBA history).

dwill was an all star for us twice

edit:
Boozer was an all star for us twice.
Mehmet okur made the all star game once.

kdspurman
06-01-2016, 03:54 PM
The Blazers made the playoffs for 21 straight seasons, from 1983 to 2003. Longer than the current Spurs streak (19 seasons)

dag, i didn't even realize that lol

I just went to see who was actually the longest, seems to be 22 straight by Syracuse Nationals/Philly 76ers from 50-71. Crazy

mngopher35
06-01-2016, 04:14 PM
1. We have pretty much sucked as a franchise outside of some years there with KG, we have only made playoff when he was here
2. Flip set us up in pretty much the best spot the franchise has ever been before passing away (for long term success, 04 was best team so far though)
3. Hiring Thibs was pretty big for the franchise as there has been this idea of a "country club" where former players/coaches/minnesotans get hired by Glenn Taylor
4. Despite getting back to back ROY awards and being in the lottery for so long we have yet to actually move up in the lottery from where we were projected
5. We used to like PF's named Kevin to build around but since that didn't work it seems we are trying Centers named Karl now
6. The "big balls" dance ruined the one season we had legit hope of competing for/making/winning the finals (according to Sanders at least)
7. Our win % is probably horrible (just checked its at .391), we don't have tons of records, and for the other awards/top players we mostly just have KG (MVP) and the new young guys (back to back ROY).

It's ok though, KAT (plus Thibs and Wiggins/Lavine/Rubio I guess) will finally turn this team around and have us competing again. While we have a sad history at least we can finally be excited about the potential of the team again.

JAZZNC
06-01-2016, 04:15 PM
dwill was an all star for us twice

edit:
Boozer was an all star for us twice.
Mehmet okur made the all star game once.

I have no idea why I thought those guys never made the all star game??? I was just certain they didn't but I was way off.

dhopisthename
06-01-2016, 04:22 PM
I have no idea why I thought those guys never made the all star game??? I was just certain they didn't but I was way off.

yeah plus I think if dwill played for a team with a higher profile he probably makes it 4-5 times for us instead of just twice

Hawkeye15
06-01-2016, 05:19 PM
1. We have pretty much sucked as a franchise outside of some years there with KG, we have only made playoff when he was here
2. Flip set us up in pretty much the best spot the franchise has ever been before passing away (for long term success, 04 was best team so far though)
3. Hiring Thibs was pretty big for the franchise as there has been this idea of a "country club" where former players/coaches/minnesotans get hired by Glenn Taylor
4. Despite getting back to back ROY awards and being in the lottery for so long we have yet to actually move up in the lottery from where we were projected
5. We used to like PF's named Kevin to build around but since that didn't work it seems we are trying Centers named Karl now
6. The "big balls" dance ruined the one season we had legit hope of competing for/making/winning the finals (according to Sanders at least)
7. Our win % is probably horrible (just checked its at .391), we don't have tons of records, and for the other awards/top players we mostly just have KG (MVP) and the new young guys (back to back ROY).

It's ok though, KAT (plus Thibs and Wiggins/Lavine/Rubio I guess) will finally turn this team around and have us competing again. While we have a sad history at least we can finally be excited about the potential of the team again.

do what I did, remove that portion of time from your brain

valade16
06-01-2016, 05:29 PM
dag, i didn't even realize that lol

I just went to see who was actually the longest, seems to be 22 straight by Syracuse Nationals/Philly 76ers from 50-71. Crazy

It will be rather bitter sweet when LMA and the Spurs surpass the Blazers streak TBH.

mngopher35
06-01-2016, 05:37 PM
do what I did, remove that portion of time from your brain

Lol not yet. As much as that was disappointing it was still the most exciting team we have ever had, although I expect that to change very soon.

IndyRealist
06-01-2016, 05:37 PM
The Pacers once held a telethon to keep the team in Indiana.

Hawkeye15
06-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Lol not yet. As much as that was disappointing it was still the most exciting team we have ever had, although I expect that to change very soon.

it was. That was a good late spring for me. I remember how nuts I was during Wolves playoff basketball, like you couldn't even talk to me. I am worried my gf will think I am a serial killer once they are there again...

Hawkeye15
06-01-2016, 05:41 PM
The Pacers once held a telethon to keep the team in Indiana.

Ron Artest once showed up to Pacers practice in a bath rope

FlashBolt
06-01-2016, 05:52 PM
We lost a 3-1 lead against an historic team.

kdspurman
06-02-2016, 10:24 AM
It will be rather bitter sweet when LMA and the Spurs surpass the Blazers streak TBH.

IF they do... Never know what can happen between now and 3-4 seasons from now

TDE
06-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Lakers: More Players in the Top 50 All-time List

Giannis94
06-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Bucks: More titles than KD, Westbrook, Melo, Ewing, AI, Barkley, Elgin Baylor, Stockton and Malone COMBINED!

kdspurman
06-02-2016, 01:21 PM
-Tim Duncan did not play organized basketball until he was in the 9th grade. He was once a top competitor in his age group for swimming. When Hurricane Hugo destroyed the island's only Olympic-sized swimming pool in 1989, Duncan was forced to swim in the ocean and he quickly lost his enthusiasm for swimming because of his fear of sharks

-After being selected by the Spurs with the first overall draft in the 1987 NBA draft, Robinson did not play for the next two seasons in order to honor his two year Naval obligation

-In 2000, Sean Elliott would become the first player in NBA history to come back and play after an organ transplant.

-Boris Diaw's mother is considered to be the best center in French women's basketball history.

-Coined the "Red Rocket" in Toronto for his red hair and constant use of public transit, Kobe Bryant gave Matt Bonner the nickname the "Red Mamba."

-In the 2014 NBA Finals, the Spurs 14.5-point margin of victory was the highest in Finals history.

-In the 2014 NBA Playoffs, in 12 of 16 wins, the Spurs won by 15 points or more, the most in NBA history.

-Spurs had the highest field-goal percentage in NBA Finals history, breaking the record of the 1991 Chicago Bulls

-Spurs have made 19 consecutive playoff appearances

-Tim Duncan has more 50 win seasons than 26 other NBA franchises.

-Tim Duncan is the only player to start on a championship team in three different decades.

-The Spurs have won 50 games in 17 consecutive seasons. It would be 19, had it not been for the 99 lockout in which they went 37-13

-Tony Parker was a french rapper, and released an album called "TP"

-Kawhi Leonard drives a rehabbed ’97 Chevy Tahoe. “‘It runs,’ Leonard explains, ‘and it’s paid off.'”

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 01:25 PM
-Tim Duncan did not play organized basketball until he was in the 9th grade. He was once a top competitor in his age group for swimming. When Hurricane Hugo destroyed the island's only Olympic-sized swimming pool in 1989, Duncan was forced to swim in the ocean and he quickly lost his enthusiasm for swimming because of his fear of sharks

-After being selected by the Spurs with the first overall draft in the 1987 NBA draft, Robinson did not play for the next two seasons in order to honor his two year Naval obligation

-In 2000, Sean Elliott would become the first player in NBA history to come back and play after an organ transplant.

-Boris Diaw's mother is considered to be the best center in French women's basketball history.

-Coined the "Red Rocket" in Toronto for his red hair and constant use of public transit, Kobe Bryant gave Matt Bonner the nickname the "Red Mamba."

-In the 2014 NBA Finals, the Spurs 14.5-point margin of victory was the highest in Finals history.

-In the 2014 NBA Playoffs, in 12 of 16 wins, the Spurs won by 15 points or more, the most in NBA history.

-Spurs had the highest field-goal percentage in NBA Finals history, breaking the record of the 1991 Chicago Bulls

-Spurs have made 19 consecutive playoff appearances

-Tim Duncan has more 50 win seasons than 26 other NBA franchises.

-Tim Duncan is the only player to start on a championship team in three different decades.

-The Spurs have won 50 games in 17 consecutive seasons. It would be 19, had it not been for the 99 lockout in which they went 37-13

-Tony Parker was a french rapper, and released an album called "TP"

-Kawhi Leonard drives a rehabbed ’97 Chevy Tahoe. “‘It runs,’ Leonard explains, ‘and it’s paid off.'”

haha, this is the one that got me

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-02-2016, 01:55 PM
This is to all 4 year olds and younger out there, the Lakers were not always the biggest joke in the league. Once upon a time they were pretty good.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-02-2016, 01:58 PM
The Lakers were actually founded in Detroit and they were called the Gems. The Gems were owned by C. King Boring. In the 1946 season they posted a league worse 4-40. This was the Detroit Gems' only season.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 02:19 PM
This is to all 4 year olds and younger out there, the Lakers were not always the biggest joke in the league. Once upon a time they were pretty good.

I mean, they are the best of all modern sports franchises, if we consider the last 40 years they have won 10 championships. Nobody matches that

valade16
06-02-2016, 02:24 PM
I mean, they are the best of all modern sports franchises, if we consider the last 40 years they have won 10 championships. Nobody matches that

I checked just to see. The Yankee's are closest of the 4 major sports at 7. Impressive.

smith&wesson
06-02-2016, 02:29 PM
76ers

3rd most wins in NBA history
7th most years in NBA
8th most games played
6th most losses
11th best win percentage (.514)
3rd most playoff appearances
6th most division titles
6th most conference titles
7th most titles
6 league times won the league MVP (4 people)
2 Rookies of the year and 2 sixth man of the year
Hal Greer, Iverson, Dolph Schayes, and Julies Erving are top 4 in order for points and minutes
Julies Erving is the all time blocks leader (this actually surprised me)
Mo Cheeks most assists and steals
Sixers currently have 3 players playing overseas
Sixers have some of the best teams and some of the worst teams in NBA history, they have also been one of the most successful teams overall in league history despite how bad the past 3 decades have been

14 Hall of Fame players
Dolph Shayes, Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer, Al Cervi, Billy Cunningham, Julius Erving, George Yardley, Bailey Howell, Bob McAdoo, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Chet Walker, Dikembe Mutombo, Allen Iverson
4 coaches made the hall of fame
Bennie Brogmann, Jack Ramsay, Alex Hannum, Larry Brown

you forgot to put "biggest tankers of all time" lol

Tony_Starks
06-02-2016, 02:59 PM
We had a deal in place to trade James Worthy, Elden Campbell and company for Charles Barkley in 91. The deal was all but done, Barkleys agent even told him he was going to LA...then Philly pulled out at the last minute ( Hinkie wasn't involved).

Had the deal went through Magic would've had Barkley as running mate when we squared off against MJ.

Barkley would get so frustrated he would later publicly demand a trade and subsequently be shipped to Phoenix.

The End.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 04:33 PM
I checked just to see. The Yankee's are closest of the 4 major sports at 7. Impressive.

I grew up a Yankees fan during the Mattingly era. We sucked haha

lamzoka
06-02-2016, 04:40 PM
The 1999 Knicks are the only 8th seeded to ever reach the finals.
Wilt Chamberlain 100 points game was score against the Knicks
The Knicks was the first team to signed the first non-white NBA player
The Knicks and the Celtics are the only teams that's
still in their original cities

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 04:49 PM

that's interesting, I didn't know that

Tony_Starks
06-02-2016, 04:56 PM
While playing for the Lakers Kwame Brown once had a police report filed on him for taking a mans $160 cake. Kwame, outside of a bar in Hermosa beach, took the partygoer's cake and threw it, hitting him. He said he meant to hit teammate Ronny Turiaf.

When told of the incident and that Kwame didn't mean to hit the man and said the cake "slipped through his hands" Lakers coach Phil Jackson famously said "well that sounds about right."

True story.

valade16
06-02-2016, 05:10 PM

There has to be some time limit attached to that. Because there are several franchises still in their original cities:

The TrailBlazers have always been in Portland as a franchise (started in 1970).

Also, common sense tells us several expansion teams like Minnesota, Miami, Toronto and Orlando have all stayed in their original cities.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2016, 05:11 PM
There has to be some time limit attached to that. Because there are several franchises still in their original cities:

Also, common sense tells us several expansion teams like Minnesota, Miami, Toronto and Orlando have all stayed in their original cities.

I assumed he meant teams that very old

lamzoka
06-02-2016, 05:26 PM

Yeah I meant the original NBA teams. The teams that founded the league.

eDush
06-02-2016, 05:54 PM

I believe the only All Star we've had since Malone/Stockton was AK-47. The biggest free agent we've signed in my fandom was Okur (that makes me a sad panda). There hasn't been much to cheer about in Utah since Malone/Stockton left. We did have a 20yr stretch without a losing season (probably the most impressive was the year after Malone/Stockton left, Sloan got a team with AK as the best player to .500 with a supporting cast of Arroyo and Keyon Clark....how Jerry Sloan didn't win coach of the year that season is beyond me, that was one of the best coaching jobs in NBA history).DWill and Boozer were all stars. Did you stop following your team?

valade16
06-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Yeah I meant the original NBA teams. The teams that founded the league.

Ah. That's pretty neat.

mrblisterdundee
06-02-2016, 06:48 PM
The Blazers drafted the first player to come out of high school — Moses Malone — and traded him before he ever played a game.
Everyone knows about Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan and Greg Oden over Kevin Durant, but Portland also traded down in from the third to the sixth pick in the 2005 NBA draft, taking Martell Webster and passing up on Chris Paul and Deron Williams.

Scoots
06-03-2016, 01:46 AM
The Warriors had the worst record in the league in the first year of the lottery and came out with the 7th pick. The first pick was Patrick Ewing who went to the Knicks ... the first lottery was accused of being fixed to help the Knicks.

On the bright side the Warriors used that 7th pick to take Chris Mullin. Nearly 30 years later they used another 7th pick to take Steph Curry. The two best players selected by the Warriors in 50 years (Rick Barry was 51 years ago).

Most people don't know that the Warriors drafted Robert Parish, Vince Carter, and Penny Hardaway and that a Warriors traded pick was used to select Kevin McHale ... only Parish played for the Warriors.