PDA

View Full Version : Report: Kevin Durant’s agent told Celtics what players Durant would want to join him

spreadeagle
06-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Could def see him coming East

The Celtics believe they’ll get a meeting with Kevin Durant summer.

What gives them that idea?

Maybe preliminary conversations with the Thunder star’s agent.

Butch Stearns of WEEI:

I have this on pretty good authority. The Celtics have sat with his agent and other representatives of Durant. The Celtics do know — I don’t know who it is — but they do know who he would prefer to be brought here in a LeBron-Chris Bosh–Dwyane Wade-like way. Because that’s how it works in the NBA. You need to know who the guy or guys that that guy wants, which would be a factor.

Now, I don’t know if Durant’s told them that. But the Celtics know. They know. They’ve been told what group of guys he would want to come here

It’d be quite logical for Durant to send this request through backchannels. It doesn’t mean he’ll sign with the Celtics even if they add his desired future teammates. How many teams received the same list of players from Durant’s camp? But it gives him a potentially more appealing option.

Durant is so valuable, teams will jump through hoops just to increase their chance of signing him. He’s well within his rights to wield that power to increase the likelihood he finds the ideal spot. The more good options, the better chance he has of picking a great one.

The Celtics have plenty of intriguing assets – the Nos. 3, 16 and 23 picks this year, swap rights on the Nets’ 2017 first-rounder, the Nets’ 2018 first-rounder, a loosely protected Grizzlies’ first rounder and potentially enough cap space to sign two max free agents this summer

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/31/report-kevin-durants-agent-told-celtics-what-players-durant-would-want-to-join-him-in-boston/

DR_1
06-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Not again

nastynice
06-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Big 3?? lmao!!

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 08:59 AM
OMG stop I'm not going to get any work done today now

TheDish87
06-01-2016, 09:02 AM
how can the C's and KD's agent talk before the FA period, wouldnt that be tampering? This doesnt exactly come off as sounding legit to me.

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 09:12 AM
I do think BOS has a good shot to land him if he does leave. He gets to come East where the top of the conference is weaker and thus have a better shot. It's not a cop-out where he'll never get total credit like if he went to OKC or GS. In BOS it would be his team and if he won he'd be the guy wo gets all the glory. Pretty good young team. If BOS was getting Durant they could probably also get Horford to come. They have some pieces to trade. They could maybe put some pieces around him but honestly I don't see it. It'd be a lot to do in one offseason.

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 09:13 AM
how can the C's and KD's agent talk before the FA period, wouldnt that be tampering? This doesnt exactly come off as sounding legit to me.

lol like tampering doesn't happen. But I agree, this doesn't sound super concrete.

RLundi
06-01-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't want Durant to leave, but if I had to choose, I'd want him in Boston. I most definitely don't want him going to the Warriors or Spurs. His best shot at a ring would be in the East with an up and coming team that happens to have a top 5 head coach.

I don't think Boston has enough pieces though. Even if they trade their picks and get back a serviceable player, Durant isn't going to sign without another star on the team. And sorry, Boston fans, it ain't Isaiah Thomas. Even if they get Horford to join, it's still not enough. If they can somehow pry away Blake Griffin or Jimmy Butler or DeMarcus Cousins and then sign DeRozan, I'd put the C's at the very top of the list after OKC with regards to which uniform Durant will be in next fall.

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 09:50 AM
I don't want Durant to leave, but if I had to choose, I'd want him in Boston. I most definitely don't want him going to the Warriors or Spurs. His best shot at a ring would be in the East with an up and coming team that happens to have a top 5 head coach.

I don't think Boston has enough pieces though. Even if they trade their picks and get back a serviceable player, Durant isn't going to sign without another star on the team. And sorry, Boston fans, it ain't Isaiah Thomas. Even if they get Horford to join, it's still not enough. If they can somehow pry away Blake Griffin or Jimmy Butler or DeMarcus Cousins and then sign DeRozan, I'd put the C's at the very top of the list after OKC with regards to which uniform Durant will be in next fall.

Well they would sign Durant and Horford with cap space and then try to trade for one of those guys you mentioned. They can make the salaries in the trade work that way if they include one of Crowder/Bradley with Smart, Olynyk and #3 (also future BRK picks). Problem is I don't think that's going to get you Butler or especially Cousins.

IndyRealist
06-01-2016, 09:57 AM

Tampering happens with virtually every big free agent. They just don't get caught.

warfelg
06-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Tampering happens with virtually every big free agent. They just don't get caught.

Something reported on this soon is fishy though. I won't shout tampering until more is known, but something does seem off here.

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Ainge loves Durant more than his son I think. He got fined for sitting with his mom back when he was at Texas. It's pretty common knowledge that Ainge was going to take him over Oden if he got #1. That's not revisionist history - it was what everyone thought heading into the lottery that year. I have zero doubt that Ainge is going to go balls to the wall on this. I just hope he doesn't make ill-advised moved to try and make it happen, which it probably won't.

warfelg
06-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Ainge loves Durant more than his son I think. He got fined for sitting with his mom back when he was at Texas. It's pretty common knowledge that Ainge was going to take him over Oden if he got #1. That's not revisionist history - it was what everyone thought heading into the lottery that year. I have zero doubt that Ainge is going to go balls to the wall on this. I just hope he doesn't make ill-advised moved to try and make it happen, which it probably won't.

I think Ainge has to be very careful. The entire NBA know this and the report out there. Silver is not like Stern. Silver will nail Ainge if he can.

Stern made his thing all about reigning in the players. Silver seems to be all about refining in front offices and making the league more balanced.

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 11:05 AM
I think Ainge has to be very careful. The entire NBA know this and the report out there. Silver is not like Stern. Silver will nail Ainge if he can.

Stern made his thing all about reigning in the players. Silver seems to be all about refining in front offices and making the league more balanced.

I doubt that Ainge and the agent are texting each other lol. These guys aren't stupid. I don't worry about that.

_Supreme_
06-01-2016, 11:08 AM
The list he gave the Celtics leaked out a couple of hours ago. These are the players on it:

Lebron James, Kawhi Leonard, Andre Drummond, Chris Paul and Anthony Davis.

Lakers + Giants
06-01-2016, 11:30 AM
I know celtics have assets but they cant land any of those...

warfelg
06-01-2016, 11:39 AM
The list he gave the Celtics leaked out a couple of hours ago. These are the players on it:

Lebron James, Kawhi Leonard, Andre Drummond, Chris Paul and Anthony Davis.

If that's his honest to god list he's trolling them because 3 of those 5 players teams would have the space (or can quickly make it) to sign him outright.

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 11:41 AM
If that's his honest to god list he's trolling them because 3 of those 5 players teams would have the space (or can quickly make it) to sign him outright.

If you look up now you might still be able to catch a glance of that poster's sarcasm going over your head. :D

sixer04fan
06-01-2016, 11:46 AM
I believe it. I've had a feeling all year the Celtics are positioning themselves for big moves this offseason. Might not work out, but they'll be in the running for multiple stars. If you're a fan of the team, that's all you can ask for, and Boston is a legit destination as any to get it done.

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 12:07 PM
I believe it. I've had a feeling all year the Celtics are positioning themselves for big moves this offseason. Might not work out, but they'll be in the running for multiple stars. If you're a fan of the team, that's all you can ask for, and Boston is a legit destination as any to get it done.

I'm afraid we're going to be second place for all though. I think if Durant leaves we land him - I really do - but I think he's staying for another year. We have a lot of assets, but there are teams with better centerpiece offers so I think if one gets moved we come in second there too. Horford I think would consider us but I think he'll want the 5th year in ATL.

Bostonjorge
06-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Imagine Durant taking Boston to the finals in a matchup against wesrbrook and the lakers?

GiantsSwaGG
06-01-2016, 12:27 PM
It would be funny if he said

"I want Lebron, Paul, Melo and Anthony Davis then I'll come to you guys"

Vinylman
06-01-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm afraid we're going to be second place for all though. I think if Durant leaves we land him - I really do - but I think he's staying for another year. We have a lot of assets, but there are teams with better centerpiece offers so I think if one gets moved we come in second there too. Horford I think would consider us but I think he'll want the 5th year in ATL.

A lot of teams are going to finish in second place... movement this year will be even harder than previous years because that 5th year for a lot of guys is gonna be worth a shitload... not many guys are going to turn down an extra $30 million in guaranteed money once they are 28/29

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 12:58 PM
A lot of teams are going to finish in second place... movement this year will be even harder than previous years because that 5th year for a lot of guys is gonna be worth a shitload... not many guys are going to turn down an extra $30 million in guaranteed money once they are 28/29

I think for the guys that will be 28/29 at the end of their deals it would be done in some cases because they'll get another one. At that point, hitting FA a year sooner actually benefits them because it makes them more appealing on that next deal. (By that point the teams will have adjusted to the cap and teams will be at/over it like they have been, so there won't be easy money for everyone like there is now.) Have to balance the risk of giving up the guaranteed money though. In some cases it will make sense, in others it won't.

Where I think the 5th year will be crucial and unable to overcome for signing teams will be in cases like Horford and other older guys (27-29 yeard old right now). For them, another big deal isn't something they can expect so they need to get what they can now.

WestCoastSportz
06-01-2016, 01:19 PM
The best case scenario for KD is to stay in OKC. I know thats not what many people want to hear. Being a Warriors fan, I don't want to hear it either, but any team he goes to would have to be built around him and there is no certainties that it would work, at least not as fast as he would like. He's not going to join a rebuilding team thats for sure. In OKC, it has proven to work. He was one game away from playing the Finals and chances are, they'll get better. Steven Adams, as impressive as he was in their playoff run, should continue to improve.

With a projected cap of $90M for next year, the Thunder would be roughly $24M under that number. Thats money they can spend before they sign Durant since they can exceed the cap to re-sign their own players. So basically, they can go out and sign a near max player and then re-sign KD, but there isn't really anyone worth signing for this team. Drummond is nice, but what would they do with Adams? D

The Lakers would be the next best place. A team that has tons of cap space and a blank canvas. They can sign 2 max players and then some. They also have the 2nd overall pick in the draft. It could be a rather quick turnaround for the Lakers.

1. Sign Demar Derozan ($18M a year)
2. Sign Kevin Durant ($22M a year )
3. Sign Andre Drummond ($15M a year)

That would still put the the Lakers just under the cap. Trade the 2nd overall pick and Lou Williams to the Phoenix Suns for Brandon Knight and their 4th and 13th picks. With both teams under the cap, this trade would work.

4th pick - Dragan Bender
13th pick - Skal Labissiere

Lakers starters:

PG Brandon Knight / Deangelo Russell
SG Demar Derozan / Nick Young
SF Kevin Durant / Anthony Brown
PF Dragan Bender / Julius Randle / Brandon Bass
C Andre Drummond / Skal Labissiere

Thats a team that would challenge in the West.

bleedprple&gold
06-01-2016, 01:43 PM
The best case scenario for KD is to stay in OKC. I know thats not what many people want to hear. Being a Warriors fan, I don't want to hear it either, but any team he goes to would have to be built around him and there is no certainties that it would work, at least not as fast as he would like. He's not going to join a rebuilding team thats for sure. In OKC, it has proven to work. He was one game away from playing the Finals and chances are, they'll get better. Steven Adams, as impressive as he was in their playoff run, should continue to improve.

With a projected cap of $90M for next year, the Thunder would be roughly $24M under that number. Thats money they can spend before they sign Durant since they can exceed the cap to re-sign their own players. So basically, they can go out and sign a near max player and then re-sign KD, but there isn't really anyone worth signing for this team. Drummond is nice, but what would they do with Adams? D

The Lakers would be the next best place. A team that has tons of cap space and a blank canvas. They can sign 2 max players and then some. They also have the 2nd overall pick in the draft. It could be a rather quick turnaround for the Lakers.

That would still put the the Lakers just under the cap. Trade the 2nd overall pick and Lou Williams to the Phoenix Suns for Brandon Knight and their 4th and 13th picks. With both teams under the cap, this trade would work.

4th pick - Dragan Bender

Lakers starters:

No they can't. Ever heard of a cap hold?

TheDish87
06-01-2016, 01:49 PM

4th pick - Dragan Bender

Lakers starters:

sure youre not an Lakers fan?

hugepatsfan
06-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Drummons for $15M/year... :laugh2:

Bender is not a day 1 starter either.

Vinylman
06-01-2016, 01:56 PM
I think for the guys that will be 28/29 at the end of their deals it would be done in some cases because they'll get another one. At that point, hitting FA a year sooner actually benefits them because it makes them more appealing on that next deal. (By that point the teams will have adjusted to the cap and teams will be at/over it like they have been, so there won't be easy money for everyone like there is now.) Have to balance the risk of giving up the guaranteed money though. In some cases it will make sense, in others it won't.

Where I think the 5th year will be crucial and unable to overcome for signing teams will be in cases like Horford and other older guys (27-29 yeard old right now). For them, another big deal isn't something they can expect so they need to get what they can now.

We agree on the older guys... however, even on the younger ones it is hard to pass it up because a lot of them will be signing their first real big deal and since most of those are RFA they really aren't that important to the discussion.

There is probably only another 2 years of this BS anyway. The NBAPA is going to try and negotiate away the difference in years that the incumbent can offer versus other teams because it inherently drives down the total deal especially with RFA's. A lot of RFA's take less per year in order to get that 5th year...

I don't expect much player movement this summer other than D12

europagnpilgrim
06-01-2016, 01:58 PM

Tampering/rigging/fixed is pretty much all the same, didn't Wade/Lebron talk about teaming up in 08' Olympics or floated the idea? wouldn't that be tampering via players? teams/players do it all the time and some get media over blown or some just remain under the rug

its like when a player signs with a another team right on the day of free agency or its being speculated prior by sources, agents are meeting with that team early before deadlines to make the transaction private before it goes public

its hard to be legit when sports is driven by enhancers and other non legit objects of the game

TheDish87
06-01-2016, 02:37 PM
Tampering/rigging/fixed is pretty much all the same, didn't Wade/Lebron talk about teaming up in 08' Olympics or floated the idea? wouldn't that be tampering via players? teams/players do it all the time and some get media over blown or some just remain under the rug

its like when a player signs with a another team right on the day of free agency or its being speculated prior by sources, agents are meeting with that team early before deadlines to make the transaction private before it goes public

its hard to be legit when sports is driven by enhancers and other non legit objects of the game

im not sure if there are rules for the players but i would imagine a report that is claiming that KD's agent met with Boston would fall under pretty blatant tampering if true considering FA doesnt begin for another month. I really dont buy the story anyway bcuz that would mean this discussion happened during the playoffs.

SfgiantsJD3
06-01-2016, 02:46 PM
im not sure if there are rules for the players but i would imagine a report that is claiming that KD's agent met with Boston would fall under pretty blatant tampering if true considering FA doesnt begin for another month. I really dont buy the story anyway bcuz that would mean this discussion happened during the playoffs.

Boston: Can we set up a meeting after x date to discuss KD?
Agent: Sure how about x day
Boston: sounds good, any prep work we should do
Agent: I imagine for KD to leave he would want to see a big 3 type commitment like Miami did
Boston: So two top 5 players at these two positions?
Agent: that's the feel I have to get him interested to leave OKC.
Boston: Thanks see you on x.
Hang-up:
Boston: to staff; lets look into x y and z.
Tampering none, read between the line, everyone's clear.

kobe4thewinbang
06-01-2016, 02:46 PM

Lebron James, Kawhi Leonard, Andre Drummond, Chris Paul and Anthony Davis.LOL, yeah right. Next.

kobe4thewinbang
06-01-2016, 02:47 PM
It'd be nice to see Boston return to power. Durant's kind of like Larry Bird. Kind of.

But it would take a lot. Arguably Boston has the most assets to offer if they can do a S&T.

PhillyFaninLA
06-01-2016, 02:57 PM

If the Celtics have players with the same agent they can talk whenever they want....the Celtics also have no control over the agent saying my guy has interest.

Lastly this type of tampering happens with most players most off seasons, teams just don't usually get caught

Pierzynski4Prez
06-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Why do people believe this garbage?

Sadly, there's going to be a lot more of it over the next 30 days considering sports journalists are no longer held accountable for false reports. Article clicks drive the market so these companies no longer care about the facts of any article that comes out.

IndyRealist
06-01-2016, 03:15 PM
With a projected cap of $90M for next year, the Thunder would be roughly $24M under that number. Thats money they can spend before they sign Durant since they can exceed the cap to re-sign their own players. So basically, they can go out and sign a near max player and then re-sign KD

Not how it works. As long as they are retaining Durant's rights, he counts against their cap. I think it's 150% of what he made in the most recent year as a cap hold until Durant signs with any team or OKC renounces their right to him. If they renounce him, then he is treated as any other free agent with respect to offers.

5ass
06-01-2016, 03:32 PM
The magic have a ton of flexibility and if I'm not mistaken KD has a good relationship with Oladipo and the GM Hennigan (from his days at OKC)

Trade Mario, Vucevic, Payton, #11 for Butler
Sign Durant and Horford

Oladipo
Butler
KD
Gordon
Horford

6th man Fournier

BKLYNpigeon
06-01-2016, 03:46 PM
If the Rumor didn't come from Woj or Mark Stein, Its most likely not true.

LaLa_Land
06-01-2016, 04:32 PM
The most likely scenario is that Durant signs a LeBron-esque two-year deal with an opt-out clause. These absurd rumors are the product of the advertising schemes set up through these third party news sources. "What is the most bait-happy title I can craft with this keyboard"?

But if Kevin Durant ends up hightailing it out of Oklahoma City this year, you better believe he's going East. There is zero competition in that - the midget conference. It's a desolate wasteland where DeMar DeRozan is able to dribble with his head down, leap into the air, become confused, pop a facial pimple, make a last-second decision, and wind up in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Any half-wit agent will urge their upper-echelon constituents to get out of the West. In Durant's case, he's better served creating a gameplan for 2017, which could very well be the most talented free agent class of all time.

If Golden State loses Barnes, Livingston and Ezeli this offseason, OKC will enter next season as favorites to come out of the West. And rightfully so. OKC is looking at the exact same roster heading into next year, with Dion Waiters as the only rotational guy likely to be shown the exit doors. Consider this Thunder team with Jamal Crawford playing Waiters' role next year. I don't think Durant passes that up. He'll make an extra $7mil per year over the life of his next big contract if he waits until 2017.

D-Leethal
06-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Dude has gotta be looking towards the East. He would have had to take out 2 of the GOAT teams ever just to make the Finals. Cavs had to beat Atlanta and Toronto. That has gotta get annoying for these WC teams.

WaDe03
06-01-2016, 05:01 PM
Him and LeBron are looking to sign with Miami for the minimum now that KD signed a 300+ million dollar deal with nine and LeBron just signed a 1 billion dollar deal with them.

numba1CHANGsta
06-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Well, whoever gets KD will be cursed cuz of the Lil B curse :D

GiantsSwaGG
06-01-2016, 05:19 PM
If the Rumor didn't come from Chris Broussard, Its most likely not true.

Fixed

Hawkeye15
06-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Why do people believe this garbage?

Sadly, there's going to be a lot more of it over the next 30 days considering sports journalists are no longer held accountable for false reports. Article clicks drive the market so these companies no longer care about the facts of any article that comes out.

yep

j-bay
06-01-2016, 05:42 PM
I might become a full time Celtics fan. I'm losing hope on the Wizards....

FlashBolt
06-01-2016, 05:52 PM
I might become a full time Celtics fan. I'm losing hope on the Wizards....

What the hell? lol

MagicBucsSox
06-01-2016, 05:56 PM
I just dont get theblove affair with ppl saying Boston has all this assets

Corey
06-01-2016, 06:16 PM
I just dont get theblove affair with ppl saying Boston has all this assets

What dont you get?

48 win team
Room for two max contracts
Three upcoming lottery picks (most likely) from Brooklyn the next three drafts
Young players on the upswing, on team friendly deals (Crowder, Bradley, Smart rookie deal, Olynyk two more years)
Starting point guard that is reaching his prime
Top 3 head coach in the NBA
GM that is willing to spend and trade to constantly make the team better

Its a team that's one piece away from being a top 3 seed, and two pieces away from getting to the finals. Its a team where he can put them over the top by himself.

Dade County
06-01-2016, 07:17 PM
What dont you get?

48 win team
Room for two max contracts
Three upcoming lottery picks (most likely) from Brooklyn the next three drafts
Young players on the upswing, on team friendly deals (Crowder, Bradley, Smart rookie deal, Olynyk two more years)
Starting point guard that is reaching his prime
Top 3 head coach in the NBA
GM that is willing to spend and trade to constantly make the team better

Its a team that's one piece away from being a top 3 seed, and two pieces away from getting to the finals. Its a team where he can put them over the top by himself.

All I can say it's cool that you like your team and its future, but I don't see Boston as a true contender. Yeah, a media hype contender; but there are a couple of those (Clippers, Raps, Hawks...etc).

See you guys during free agency and let the best GM win.

Bless

numba1CHANGsta
06-01-2016, 09:15 PM
There's about 4-5 other teams with better assets than the Celtics.

D-Leethal
06-01-2016, 09:22 PM

Do they also have 60M+ in cap space and the 3rd pick in the draft coming off damn near a 50 win season?

C's situation is enviable, no doubt, my only question is how many of these newbreed NBAers want to play in Boston? Even with all of the history and success, I don't think the city attracts to most of these dudes for reasons I think this site is too politically correct to discuss.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Do they also have 60M+ in cap space and the 3rd pick in the draft coming off damn near a 50 win season?

C's situation is enviable, no doubt, my only question is how many of these newbreed NBAers want to play in Boston? Even with all of the history and success, I don't think the city attracts to most of these dudes for reasons I think this site is too politically correct to discuss.

I'm not sure if the city itself is as big of a factor for FAs when they make their decision as much as it was 5-10 years ago. I think post-Decision FAs have typically gone to the place where they have the best opportunity to win, the team that offers the most money, or if it's their hometown.

5ass
06-01-2016, 10:23 PM

Just curious, who are these 4-5 teams in your opinion? Sixers, Magic, Nuggets, Lakers, Bucks?

HandsOnTheWheel
06-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Lebron traveled.

Scoots
06-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Dear Boston,

I'd like to play with:

Curry
Thompson
Green
Towns

Make it happen,
KD

Aust
06-02-2016, 01:26 AM
The magic have a ton of flexibility and if I'm not mistaken KD has a good relationship with Oladipo and the GM Hennigan (from his days at OKC)

Trade Mario, Vucevic, Payton, #11 for Butler
Sign Durant and Horford

Oladipo
Butler
KD
Gordon
Horford

6th man Fournier

Damn that'd be a nice 5. Nicer than the other 5 we talked about. Instant contender.

More-Than-Most
06-02-2016, 01:37 AM
Damn that'd be a nice 5. Nicer than the other 5 we talked about. Instant contender.

any team with Durant is an instant contender.... Then you throw in a butler and um yea lol... I think that is the best team in the East next season.

jerellh528
06-02-2016, 02:34 AM
Celtics with Durant on them would be my too early choice for eastern champ next season. He's like the prototype to fill their biggest void. There's not a better fit currently imo. Add a top 3 pick and cap, they would be looking nice for a long time. What if they signed horford too lol.

eDush
06-02-2016, 07:08 AM
I do think BOS has a good shot to land him if he does leave. He gets to come East where the top of the conference is weaker and thus have a better shot. It's not a cop-out where he'll never get total credit like if he went to OKC or GS. In BOS it would be his team and if he won he'd be the guy wo gets all the glory. Pretty good young team. If BOS was getting Durant they could probably also get Horford to come. They have some pieces to trade. They could maybe put some pieces around him but honestly I don't see it. It'd be a lot to do in one offseason.
If he does go East, the only team he will sign is the Wiz cause that's his home. Like Melo and Lebron, nothing is more important than winning where you grew up...NOTHING! :nod:
https://youtu.be/K5g0JZ7dFT4

People will understand if he goes back home to the District of Columbia. Not Boston.
:no:

eDush
06-02-2016, 07:20 AM

I'm not sure if the city itself is as big of a factor for FAs when they make their decision as much as it was 5-10 years ago. I think post-Decision FAs have typically gone to the place where they have the best opportunity to win, the team that offers the most money, or if it's their hometown.
Superstars that does back home to win, they are look upon as larger than life especially if they start winning. Durant to the Wiz make sense as he will help his favorite head coach win a championship together :clap:

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Superstars that does back home to win, they are look upon as larger than life especially if they start winning. Durant to the Wiz make sense as he will help his favorite head coach win a championship together :clap:

If he was his favorite head coach he'd still be coaching OKC.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-02-2016, 09:39 PM
Just curious, who are these 4-5 teams in your opinion? Sixers, Magic, Nuggets, Lakers, Bucks?

Don't forget the wolves. I like this Celtics team. They play hard and are extremely well coached. But the assets that that guy listed of their best players are all 25 years old. They are all hovering around PERS of 15 down to 11. That is league average ro below league average. There is not much upside with them because by that age you have established pretty much what type of player you are. A lot of the teams you listed have guys still at 20 to 22 years old. As far as assets go, those teams have better ones because teams want to be able to trade for young guys on rookie deals that have higher upside than average players at 25.

As far as which team would be good to play with Boston is the answer for the fact those guys are 25 going to be 26 next year. They are more age appropriate than the other younger teams with better assets. Not to mention the fact that they are in the east and that is probably the biggest aspect of everything.

Aust
06-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Those Nets picks Boston has are worth their weight in gold.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Those Nets picks Boston has are worth their weight in gold.

That is true. We are assuming though the Nets do nothing in free agency and continue to be one of the worst teams in the league. They have no reason to tank so they will be trying their hardest. But if the Nets get another top 3 pick next year and the Celtics swap with them, Danny Ainge is the genius of all geniuses.

naps
06-03-2016, 12:22 AM
Danny Ainge raped that foolish Russian owner so bad it will take years of sucking to get fixed.

Scoots
06-03-2016, 02:25 AM
Beware Celtics fans ... I'm not sure KD can lead a team to a title. I think the team would need a veteran PG to be the leader ... and that is still a rare and expensive commodity. Conley? CP3? They MIGHT be available.

eDush
06-05-2016, 06:29 PM

Durant doesn't have any say on who can be HC of OKC but has repeated many times how he credits Scott Brooks for allowing to play his brand of offense and was sadden when he was fired. You don't think the Wiz made him the top 5 highest coaches in the league for nothing? They were listening, trust me :nod:

eDush
06-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Danny Ainge raped that foolish Russian owner so bad it will take years of sucking to get fixed.
Actually it was the GM who made those decisions without his consent as he had given him carte blanche on all roster personnel with money not an issue like given the Hawks unprotected top picks for JJ when they would have dump him to anyone and include their own top pick just to be rid of his contract :laugh2:

j-bay
06-05-2016, 08:15 PM

The Thunder went behind the players backs. KD said he loves Brooks and was sad to see him go. While they might not be the best team, the Wiz have some factors that would interest Durant. Like John Wall.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Durant doesn't have any say on who can be HC of OKC but has repeated many times how he credits Scott Brooks for allowing to play his brand of offense and was sadden when he was fired. You don't think the Wiz made him the top 5 highest coaches in the league for nothing? They were listening, trust me :nod:

The Thunder went behind the players backs. KD said he loves Brooks and was sad to see him go. While they might not be the best team, the Wiz have some factors that would interest Durant. Like John Wall.

If you don't think that KD was at least asked by OKC's FO about the firing of Brooks beforehand you're naive.

j-bay
06-05-2016, 11:21 PM
If you don't think that KD was at least asked by OKC's FO about the firing of Brooks beforehand you're naive.

He wasn't. The KD and Russ vouched for Brooks. The Thunder let him go anyway.

LA_Raiders
06-05-2016, 11:38 PM
That's the easiest way to get to the finals, join the Easy...

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-05-2016, 11:49 PM
He wasn't. The KD and Russ vouched for Brooks. The Thunder let him go anyway.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-kevin-durant-scott-brooks-20150423-story.html

j-bay
06-05-2016, 11:57 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-kevin-durant-scott-brooks-20150423-story.html

In the article

"Today was tough for me. While I support our team's decision 100 percent and look forward to the upcoming season and the future in OKC, Scotty was my coach and a friend for the past 7 seasons. We accomplished a lot together, and those times will never be taken away from us. I grew as both a man and a ball player under his guidance and for that I will forever be grateful. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family who have also been such a big part of this city and organization. I know he will be very successful in wherever his next steps in life are."

j-bay
06-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Washington is an interesting case. They arn't the best option but he has 3 very good friends there (Brooks, Wall, and Beal).

joedaheights
06-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Isn't this the problem? Lebron got his wish and now he's watching Kevin love be about as impactful as Craig hodges

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-06-2016, 12:32 AM
In the article

Still thought it was the right decision lol

j-bay
06-06-2016, 12:36 AM
Still thought it was the right decision lol

Still doesn't mean it was tough. I'm not saying the Wizards WILL get Durant. But Durant will think about them.

5ass
06-06-2016, 12:38 AM

Yeah I think that's a championship caliber team. Financially speaking they could add Joakim Noah and David West if I'm not mistaken. Even without Butler they can be a championship caliber team. Its a dream scenario, but if there's one dark horse team that will start popping up in rumours I think it'll be the Magic. Durant is friends with Rob Hennigan and that's a big reason why I think they'll be able to meet with him during his FA tour. Hennigan seems like he's a good recruiter so far, as he almost got Millsap to sign on a 25 win team last offseason. Durant's also friends with Oladipo and Horford who is a big target for the Magic. He has had a lot of good things to say about them and Vucevic. The Magic put up a fight every time they met the last two years with some great games. There are a lot of reasons and a lot of quotes I can post that support why I think Durant will consider the Magic. Of course I realise its unlikely he actually signs with them, but I bet they'll at last meet together this summer. Most Magic fans think I'm crazy for thinking he'll even consider it for one second, but I think they're a pretty good destination for him and Horford.

5ass
06-06-2016, 01:11 AM
I don't think this was posted, but it seems like Durant might not be okay with signing a short term contract.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-kevin-durant-wont-necessarily-sign-short-term-deal-in-free-agency/

naps
06-06-2016, 02:40 AM
Washington is an interesting case. They arn't the best option but he has 3 very good friends there (Brooks, Wall, and Beal).

Except friendships dont win championships. I dont think Washington has the team to appeal Durant, not even close.

Monta is beast
06-06-2016, 03:53 AM
I think boston is the right choice

Bostonjorge
06-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Sign Durant

Sigh Howard

Trade the 3rd pick for Melo.

Howard
Melo
Crowder
Durant
Thomas

hugepatsfan
06-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Celtics let Sullinger and Zeller walk without RFA qualifying offers.

Let Evan Turner walk in unrestricted free agency.

Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, John Holland all have non-guaranteed deals - waive them.

Trade #3, Bradley, next year's BRK pick, Terry Rozier, James Young for Jimmy Butler (Young just a salary throw in)

Draft Cheick Diallo at #16, Taurean Prince at #23

Sign Al Horford to a max contract.

At this point you go for Durant. If he wants the full max BOS has to dump Olynyk. If he takes $1.2M less then they can keep him. He'd already be turning down a lot of money to leave OKC so hopefully he'd take that small little bit less.

Offer the room exception to Jonas Jerebko. He'd get 25 minute a night as a starting PF to space the floor and can hit FA next year with a higher cap to get paid.

IT to the bench in favor of Smart to balance out the scoring of the 1st and 2nd unit.

Smart/IT
Butler
Durant/Crowder
Jerebko
Horford/Olynyk

PG: Smart (16 minutes), IT (32 minutes)
SG: Butler (34 minutes), Smart (14 minutes)
SF: Durant (34 minutes), Crowder (14 minutes)
PF: Jerebko (25 minutes), Crowder (16 minutes), Olynyk (7 minutes)
C: Horford (32 minutes), Olynyk (16 minutes)

That's the main 8 man rotation. You also have the rookie 1st rounders Prince and Diallo to go with 2nd year guys RJ Hunter and Jordan Mickey. That's 12 guys - last 3 spots go to vet min guys and 2nd rounders on minimum deals.

I think that's the favorite in the East. Not as good as GS though you've seen us play them competitively over the last two years so I think we could at least put up a fight. They're probably the GOAT team so can't ask for much more than that.

Now everyone rip me apart and tell me how unrealistic it is so I can snap back to reality lol