PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA do anything do anything about the increase in 3 pointers?

Jeffy25
05-30-2016, 11:41 PM
Discussed on NBA Trade Rumors today, but the question is:

1. Should the NBA do anything about the massive increase in three pointers being taken? The NBA post game is slowly dying
2. If they do implement a change, what would you suggest? A 4 point line even further away? Move the 3 point line back? Change some rules to allow hand checking again or change defensive strategies so that the post game can come back? etc

What are your thoughts?

Aust
05-30-2016, 11:46 PM
Not a fan of the 4 point line even though it could make the game more exciting.

Jeffy25
05-31-2016, 12:08 AM

It would really change the way close games would end. But would probably eliminate a lot of the post game, but also spread the floor well that you could dump the ball low if you have a guy with great range on your team.

Put it 30 feet out maybe with an arc?

It would be like the original NBA Jam with the 8 point spot lol.

TheMightyHumph
05-31-2016, 12:37 AM
Move the 3-point line back a foot and eliminate the corner 3s

More-Than-Most
05-31-2016, 12:41 AM
Allowing hand checks would be plenty.... 80s and 90s when teams were allowed to play defense man.... now guys rely on 3s and 3s alone and if you come anywhere near them its a foul.... moving the line back a foot is also another good idea.... i dont mind a 4 point line either.

jerellh528
05-31-2016, 12:56 AM
No. They're fine, maybe even add a 4 point line

IndyRealist
05-31-2016, 12:57 AM

They don't even have to move the line back, just make it extend until it hits the sidelines, eliminating corner 3s. That would cut 3pt shots by 30%.

But no, the NBA wants them to play this way. Who takes 3s? Wing players. Who are the more marketable players? Wing players. Who boosts the tempo and increases scores, making games more "exciting"? Wing players.

TrueFan420
05-31-2016, 12:58 AM
No to a 4 point line. Allowing for hand checking should do the trick.

TheMightyHumph
05-31-2016, 01:04 AM
They don't even have to move the line back, just make it extend until it hits the sidelines, eliminating corner 3s. That would cut 3pt shots by 30%.

But no, the NBA wants them to play this way. Who takes 3s? Wing players. Who are the more marketable players? Wing players. Who boosts the tempo and increases scores, making games more "exciting"? Wing players.

I thought the 3-point shot was more exciting when there were fewer of them.

Phantom Dreamer
05-31-2016, 01:07 AM
No to a 4 point line. Allowing for hand checking should do the trick.Allow hand checking and hard fouls again.

jason
05-31-2016, 01:21 AM
Allowing hand checks would be plenty.... 80s and 90s when teams were allowed to play defense man.... now guys rely on 3s and 3s alone and if you come anywhere near them its a foul.... moving the line back a foot is also another good idea.... i dont mind a 4 point line either.
Couldn't you make an argument that the hand check would just help bad defenders more than anything. I think 4 point like would be dumb and that's coming from a Warriors fan

Kevj77
05-31-2016, 01:32 AM
Back in the 90's I used to hate people backing defenders down for 15 seconds on an iso to get in the paint. It was boring. The 3 pointers are exciting. Why make the game boring.

Scoots
05-31-2016, 01:39 AM
Rather than eliminate the corner 3, I'd like the court to get 4 feet little wider and have the 3 point like 23'9" all the way around.

FOXHOUND
05-31-2016, 01:42 AM
No.

Coaches will adjust and learn to gameplan accordingly, like they have throughout history for every trend or rule change that altered the game. Removing the corner 3 would destroy spacing and pushing back the 3 point line or adding a 4 point line would just give Golden State an even bigger shooting advantage.

KnicksorBust
05-31-2016, 07:33 AM

1. Should the NBA do anything about the massive increase in three pointers being taken? The NBA post game is slowly dying
2. If they do implement a change, what would you suggest? A 4 point line even further away? Move the 3 point line back? Change some rules to allow hand checking again or change defensive strategies so that the post game can come back? etc

What are your thoughts?

The post game is dying because it's inefficient. The game has gotten smarter and better. Look at the constant passing/screening/cutting in a Warriors game. These guys aren't playing some gimmicky style of basketball...they are playing the right way.

Heediot
05-31-2016, 07:54 AM
Hand checking will slow down the game a little more but the ratio of 3's compared to 2's will probably stay the same if it is implemented. I watch euro and international ball and coaches still want to shoot 3's and drive to the paint. Hand checking will not decrease the emphasis on the 3, trust me. That said, I want the hand check back in and better rules to allow all players to equally show their skill sets. Of course the league is about money, so things won't change.

eDush
05-31-2016, 08:21 AM

It would really change the way close games would end. But would probably eliminate a lot of the post game, but also spread the floor well that you could dump the ball low if you have a guy with great range on your team.

Put it 30 feet out maybe with an arc?

It would be like the original NBA Jam with the 8 point spot lol.
There should be an 5 point shot if made beyond the half court center line and the 3 point line makes cannot be a bank shot...must be all net. That should make it interesting :nod:

eDush
05-31-2016, 08:26 AM
Hand checking will slow down the game a little more but the ratio of 3's compared to 2's will probably stay the same if it is implemented. I watch euro and international ball and coaches still want to shoot 3's and drive to the paint. Hand checking will not decrease the emphasis on the 3, trust me. That said, I want the hand check back in and better rules to allow all players to equally show their skill sets. Of course the league is about money, so things won't change.hand checks is very cool with me too otherwise it's like flag football on some games with all these ticky tack calls by the refs to dictate the outcome or try to.

IndyRealist
05-31-2016, 08:37 AM
Rather than eliminate the corner 3, I'd like the court to get 4 feet little wider and have the 3 point like 23'9" all the way around.

That would eliminate 2 or 3 rows of very expensive seats. No owner is gonna vote for that.

valade16
05-31-2016, 09:38 AM
The post game is dying because it's inefficient. The game has gotten smarter and better. Look at the constant passing/screening/cutting in a Warriors game. These guys aren't playing some gimmicky style of basketball...they are playing the right way.

But it's only in comparison to a 3PT shot because we arbitrarily assigned more value to a 3PT shot than other shots. Would a 3PT shot be more efficient if it was worth the same? No, so the only reason it is more efficient is because we changed the rules to make it so.

I'm torn on the issue, but at this point I'm not sure I'd say it's necessarily the right way. Curry and Klay take shots that every coach on earth would tell you not to take, but they make them so what are you going to say? Their skill has quite literally transcended proper shot selection.

TheMightyHumph
05-31-2016, 10:59 AM
Allow hand checking and hard fouls again.

Never gonna happen.

TheMightyHumph
05-31-2016, 11:02 AM
No.

Coaches will adjust and learn to gameplan accordingly, like they have throughout history for every trend or rule change that altered the game. Removing the corner 3 would destroy spacing and pushing back the 3 point line or adding a 4 point line would just give Golden State an even bigger shooting advantage.

Don't remove the corner shot. Just make it worth 2 points instead of three.

da ThRONe
05-31-2016, 11:23 AM
Hand checking will slow down the game a little more but the ratio of 3's compared to 2's will probably stay the same if it is implemented. I watch euro and international ball and coaches still want to shoot 3's and drive to the paint. Hand checking will not decrease the emphasis on the 3, trust me. That said, I want the hand check back in and better rules to allow all players to equally show their skill sets. Of course the league is about money, so things won't change.

I agree with this. The importance of 3 ball is here to stay as well it should. I would like hand checking back in the game because I think it'll create more diverse offenses schemes. I'd also like a 4 point shot guys skills should be rewarded. Shooting a lot of 3's isn't a bad thing have no idea why people are trying to make it into one.

da ThRONe
05-31-2016, 11:30 AM
What needs to be address isn't the 3pt, it's the ability for the offensive player to create contact and still get the call often times bailing the player with the ball out. Whoever creates contact should be given the foul regardless of whether or not the defender is moving and/or off the ground.

Hawkeye15
05-31-2016, 11:38 AM
get rid of zone defense, and they drop

KnicksorBust
05-31-2016, 11:38 AM
But it's only in comparison to a 3PT shot because we arbitrarily assigned more value to a 3PT shot than other shots.

Objection. Relevance?

[/QUOTE]Would a 3PT shot be more efficient if it was worth the same? [/QUOTE]

Only if Jerry West was taking them.

No, so the only reason it is more efficient is because we changed the rules to make it so.

Right but many of these rule changes were necessary to fix a boring and dying sport. Things like the 24 second clock, 3 in the key, the 3pt line, and defensive rules have all created the game we are watching today. To me what the Warriors are doing is playing basketball at its most purest. It's exactly like the Spurs. Everyone is either cutting, screening, or spacing. As someone who coaches high school basketball I love it.

KnicksorBust
05-31-2016, 11:40 AM
get rid of zone defense, and they drop

Do you actually want that though? I think teams should be able to play defense however they want.

Chronz
05-31-2016, 11:52 AM
Bring back hca and get rid of zones. You see allot more1v1. which is what we all want

IndyRealist
05-31-2016, 11:57 AM

That's what they mean by removing the corner 3.

xnick5757
05-31-2016, 12:02 PM
have it like baseball/soccer - set a minimum distance (and prob a max) and let each team set how far out they want their 3pt line to be.

Teams would adjust based on their players, would be neat

PhillyFaninLA
05-31-2016, 12:03 PM
The increase in 3's is because of a rule change to create more offense. When they changed the hand check rule it made shooting in general, especially 3's that much easier.

I question how many of these great 3 point shooters would do in the 90's and earlier.

Scoots
05-31-2016, 12:04 PM
That would eliminate 2 or 3 rows of very expensive seats. No owner is gonna vote for that.

Yep. But as long as we are changing the game ... :)

And I do think that would improve the game because the worst 3pt shooters are shooting from the corners.

Scoots
05-31-2016, 12:05 PM

What's the difference between removing it and having it count for no more?

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-31-2016, 12:13 PM
I thought everyone liked team ball? You guys want to go back to one on one hero ball where a guy dribbles it for 5 to 10 seconds trying to out muscle or out maneuver one defender?

nycericanguy
05-31-2016, 12:23 PM
it's a tough call, I usually say leave things alone, but the amount of 3's is getting out of hand.

We are moving toward a league where everyone, even centers are just going to want to shoot 3's, is that really what we want? New generations growing up just practicing 3's?

Look at Kevin Love for instance, he's a really good all around player, yet almost half of his FGA's this postseason have been 3's. Do we really want to watch Love just shoot 3's all game?

JR Smith is an even more incredible example, over 88% of his FGA's this playoffs have been 3's! Almost 90%! That's double his career average.

Steph Curry has attempted most of his shots from 3 as well, as has Klay

It is getting to be a bit much IMO...

da ThRONe
05-31-2016, 12:54 PM
it's a tough call, I usually say leave things alone, but the amount of 3's is getting out of hand.

We are moving toward a league where everyone, even centers are just going to want to shoot 3's, is that really what we want? New generations growing up just practicing 3's?

Look at Kevin Love for instance, he's a really good all around player, yet almost half of his FGA's this postseason have been 3's. Do we really want to watch Love just shoot 3's all game?

JR Smith is an even more incredible example, over 88% of his FGA's this playoffs have been 3's! Almost 90%! That's double his career average.

Steph Curry has attempted most of his shots from 3 as well, as has Klay

It is getting to be a bit much IMO...

So you rather toughly contested long 2's instead of 3's with their feet set? I just don't get with the complaint is about players taking so many 3's. I'm fine with centers shooting 3's if the can make them @ or above 35%. The post game will be there and it'll benefit post players with so much spacing on the floor.

alkalinesolo
05-31-2016, 01:01 PM
The 3 point line should be removed entirely.

nycericanguy
05-31-2016, 01:03 PM
So you rather toughly contested long 2's instead of 3's with their feet set? I just don't get with the complaint is about players taking so many 3's. I'm fine with centers shooting 3's if the can make them @ or above 35%. The post game will be there and it'll benefit post players with so much spacing on the floor.

:confused:

did u quote the wrong person? i said nothing of the sort.?

very few centers can shoot 35% from 3 btw.

Even DMC thinks he should shoot 3's now even though he shoots 29% from there.

Mell413
05-31-2016, 01:14 PM
I know it would be odd, but maybe make the 3 pt shot worth 2.5 instead? That way you still get rewarded for the more difficult shot, but it's not as much of an equalizer. I'd like to see the court widened so it makes the corner 3 more difficult. I'm not sure I buy the it eliminates the front row argument. There's always going to be a front row although it would be pushed farther back.
I know this would cause issues as far as comparing numbers from past era's are concerned but maybe make the 3 pt shot worth 4 and anything inside worth 3. It's still a one point difference but the percentage difference would be less.
I think something needs to be done. It is becoming a bit gimmicky now.

nycericanguy
05-31-2016, 01:36 PM
I think the easiest way to do would be to eliminate the corner 3's, that would at least HELP I imagine.

You try that first before doing anything more drastic.

I agree, it's becoming kind of gimmicky, almost like it's preseason games with guys just jacking up 3's from everywhere.

Hawkeye15
05-31-2016, 01:37 PM
Do you actually want that though? I think teams should be able to play defense however they want.

wouldn't bother me to see more dribble drives...

Hawkeye15
05-31-2016, 01:38 PM
The 3 point line should be removed entirely.

Gene Hackman?

IndyRealist
05-31-2016, 01:41 PM
I know it would be odd, but maybe make the 3 pt shot worth 2.5 instead? That way you still get rewarded for the more difficult shot, but it's not as much of an equalizer. I'd like to see the court widened so it makes the corner 3 more difficult. I'm not sure I buy the it eliminates the front row argument. There's always going to be a front row although it would be pushed farther back.
I know this would cause issues as far as comparing numbers from past era's are concerned but maybe make the 3 pt shot worth 4 and anything inside worth 3. It's still a one point difference but the percentage difference would be less.
I think something needs to be done. It is becoming a bit gimmicky now.

4 and 3 puts a 40% 4pt shooter on par with 53% inside the arc, so still an advantage to the longball against long shots inside the arc, but a massive advantage to shots in the paint.

2.5 to 2 is even worse for longball, with a 40% shooter equivalent to 50% inside the arc. Teams would take every shot they could at the rim.

MarkieMark48
05-31-2016, 02:00 PM
nothing, just like all this free throw/hack-a-whoever rule changes they are thinking about, I don't like it when rule changes are considered because of (mainly) 1 or 2 people. Klay and Steph are excellent marksmen. Instead of trying to change the rule to keep them from shooting (as many) threes... make them beat you while scoring 2 points at a time instead of 3.

Bivory
05-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Yes, they should allow people to play defense on the perimeter again. And the hack a DeAdre rule needs to be in effect because quite frankly, intentional fouls when a team has a breakaway or other, takes away from the entertainment of the game. Who wants to watch that...

ClassyAshyLarry
05-31-2016, 02:15 PM
Keep the 3pt line where it is (maybe push it a little bit), but also widen the court and bring back the old zone changes. I miss NBA big men.

ewing
05-31-2016, 03:20 PM
you should only be allowed to kick a guy in the nuts if he is shooting a 3 pointer

valade16
05-31-2016, 03:54 PM
Objection. Relevance?

Right but many of these rule changes were necessary to fix a boring and dying sport. Things like the 24 second clock, 3 in the key, the 3pt line, and defensive rules have all created the game we are watching today. To me what the Warriors are doing is playing basketball at its most purest. It's exactly like the Spurs. Everyone is either cutting, screening, or spacing. As someone who coaches high school basketball I love it.

Should I throw your own words back at you? Objection, relevance...

I would like to have an insightful or productive conversation but it seems your still pissy from the All-Time Redraft. If you want to actually discuss the topic, let me know.

KnicksorBust
05-31-2016, 04:41 PM
Objection. Relevance?

Should I throw your own words back at you? Objection, relevance...

I would like to have an insightful or productive conversation but it seems your still pissy from the All-Time Redraft. If you want to actually discuss the topic, let me know.

It was a joke man thought you would laugh. You seriously need to lighten up.

LA4life24/8
05-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Just extend the 3 point line all the way around -corner threes are so short 😝, or ( I know I'll get burnt for this) raise the hoop a foot. It would be that much harder to shoot from further out on a higher rim

valade16
05-31-2016, 04:50 PM
It was a joke man thought you would laugh. You seriously need to lighten up.

My apologies then, I have trouble detecting sarcasm on here.

jason
05-31-2016, 05:13 PM
you should only be allowed to kick a guy in the nuts if he is shooting a 3 pointer

Give it a rest. Not even remotely anymore

TheMightyHumph
05-31-2016, 05:20 PM
That's what they mean by removing the corner 3.

Yes. That's what I mean too.

TheMightyHumph
05-31-2016, 05:23 PM
What's the difference between removing it and having it count for no more?

One point on the scoreboard.

nastynice
05-31-2016, 08:17 PM
Just extend the 3 point line all the way around -corner threes are so short 😝, or ( I know I'll get burnt for this) raise the hoop a foot. It would be that much harder to shoot from further out on a higher rim

lol, dude!! Worst idea ever!

That will make it crazy hard to score from ANYWHERE. The first couple years of the height change we'd prob have games regularly w like 30pts, haha

Scoots
05-31-2016, 08:25 PM
One point on the scoreboard.

How is it different? In one instance (the corner 3 being worth 2) someone standing in the corner makes a bucket it's worth 2 points, in the other instance (there is no 3 point line to be behind in the corner because it leaves the court several feet from the corner) someone standing in the corner makes a bucket it's worth 2 points.

2=2 I'm fairly sure.

kobe4thewinbang
06-01-2016, 12:31 AM
With guys like Steph and Klay showing that hard work and a gifted shooting stroke can make 3PTers seem easy, I think the league should make the line farther away from the basket. I feel like 3PTers cheapen the game. The Suns used to erase big leads with lots of 3's falling, but the Warriors rely on it too much. Yes, they make them. The problem is that they make too many. They were down by 12 and soon they're down by only 3. It gets old and is not really evidence of the better team.

IndyRealist
06-01-2016, 10:11 AM
With guys like Steph and Klay showing that hard work and a gifted shooting stroke can make 3PTers seem easy, I think the league should make the line farther away from the basket. I feel like 3PTers cheapen the game. The Suns used to erase big leads with lots of 3's falling, but the Warriors rely on it too much. Yes, they make them. The problem is that they make too many. They were down by 12 and soon they're down by only 3. It gets old and is not really evidence of the better team.

That seems like the issue is more that the Warriors have two of the best 3pt shooters in the league, rather than the 3pt line being too close.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-01-2016, 10:44 AM

What are your thoughts?

This would be like the MLB having a problem with too many homeruns. Do you really think they would want to do anything to decrease the amount of homeruns? Chicks dig the three pointers. I bet Adam Silver and Co are loving what's going on right now.

A 4 point line would be crazy though. I would love it because of how crazy the game would be. I'm all for the extra entertainment. Put a 4 point line 30 feet away from the basket and watch them chuck up 30+ feet away lol. I'm all for it. The game would be very entertaining although I can understand why basketball purists would take issue with it. I'm not a basketball purist though.

TheMightyHumph
06-01-2016, 02:57 PM
How is it different? In one instance (the corner 3 being worth 2) someone standing in the corner makes a bucket it's worth 2 points, in the other instance (there is no 3 point line to be behind in the corner because it leaves the court several feet from the corner) someone standing in the corner makes a bucket it's worth 2 points.

2=2 I'm fairly sure.

There is a one point difference between a three pointer and a two pointer.

TheMightyHumph
06-01-2016, 03:00 PM
This would be like the MLB having a problem with too many homeruns. Do you really think they would want to do anything to decrease the amount of homeruns?

You mean like investigate and eliminate the use of steroids?

Saddletramp
06-01-2016, 05:43 PM
^Exactly my first thought. Lol.

NYKalltheway
06-03-2016, 01:12 AM
Allow players to play actual defense and abolish the defensive 3 in the key.

Scoots
06-03-2016, 02:38 AM
There is no way the rules for the game should be changed until the officiating is made better for a multi-year period. Then we can find out what the game is really like when there are no late move charge calls and fake fouls on drives and rip throughs in the lane and moving screens and snake bites and grabbing and pulling. Let's actually SEE the game before we change it.

Add a 4th ref.

MTar786
06-03-2016, 05:08 AM
well, one thing that really bothers me is that the refs now days call too many fouls on attempted 3's. I grew up watching from like 1995 and in those days and the early 00's it was rare to get called for a foul on a 3 point shot. even if you really got fouled they hardly blew the whistle lol

Kevj77
06-03-2016, 05:32 AM
You mean like investigate and eliminate the use of steroids?PEDs are consider cheating I doubt the MLB has a problem with home runs.

IndyRealist
06-03-2016, 07:45 AM
Allow players to play actual defense and abolish the defensive 3 in the key.

That would just lead to more 3s because you couldn't make a move inside the arc without getting tackled.

KnicksorBust
06-03-2016, 08:01 AM
well, one thing that really bothers me is that the refs now days call too many fouls on attempted 3's. I grew up watching from like 1995 and in those days and the early 00's it was rare to get called for a foul on a 3 point shot. even if you really got fouled they hardly blew the whistle lol

This post made me laugh. "I miss 1995 when you could foul on a 3pter and get away with it." what?

KnickNyKnick
06-03-2016, 08:37 AM
No to a 4 point line. Allowing for hand checking should do the trick.

i agree, a 4 pt line is ridiculous. then what? 5 points from half court? games would start to be like the Allstar challenge or something lol

valade16
06-03-2016, 09:26 AM
In 10-15 years are they going to be debating making points inside the 3pt line worth 3pts so that people stop taking so many 3's?

TheMightyHumph
06-03-2016, 01:02 PM
PEDs are consider cheating I doubt the MLB has a problem with home runs.

Took them long enough to investigate it, as it was so obvious. Perhaps if Bonds and Sosa were Caucasian, it would have taken them even longer.

JLynn943
06-03-2016, 01:36 PM
I don't know what should be done, but I am tired of the reliance on 3 pointers as well as the bailout foul calls. It's not fun watching a team jack up 3 pointers constantly, nor is it fun to watch someone drive to the hoop and flail/flop and get rewarded for it. Moving it back could help. Eliminating the corner 3 could help. I'm more inclined to want the court widened and have the 3 point distance be consistent all the way around though. The corner 3 does help space the court. Realistically, nothing will happen.

Scoots
06-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Took them long enough to investigate it, as it was so obvious. Perhaps if Bonds and Sosa were Caucasian, it would have taken them even longer.

There was nothing to investigate, PEDs were not even in the MLB rules until 1991 and they didn't start testing for them until 2003 ... 2 years AFTER Barry hit his 73. And as anyone in law enforcement knows, if there is no enforcement then there really isn't a law so by that measure MLB didn't make PEDs against the rules until 2003 (after Mark McGwire and a bunch of other roid users retired). Race had nothing to do with it ... it was MLB trying to increase their fan base and turning a blind eye to it.

TheMightyHumph
06-03-2016, 02:47 PM
it was MLB trying to increase their fan base and turning a blind eye to it.

As the NBA is doing with the large number of what has become the relatively easy 3-point shot.

NYKalltheway
06-04-2016, 07:41 AM
That would just lead to more 3s because you couldn't make a move inside the arc without getting tackled.

No it won't. It will make it harder to be open and to find an open man. It would make it tougher to score, period. It'll bring back the midrange.

Saddletramp
06-04-2016, 02:12 PM
There was nothing to investigate, PEDs were not even in the MLB rules until 1991 and they didn't start testing for them until 2003 ... 2 years AFTER Barry hit his 73. And as anyone in law enforcement knows, if there is no enforcement then there really isn't a law so by that measure MLB didn't make PEDs against the rules until 2003 (after Mark McGwire and a bunch of other roid users retired). Race had nothing to do with it ... it was MLB trying to increase their fan base and turning a blind eye to it.

MLB sold out to the steroids because they were bringing back the fans that lost a lot of interest after the strike. I was turned off by the strike, started to not care about baseball because of the roids and now I just don't care. I might watch a few playoff games and go to the park once a year or so (although now that I think about it, I haven't been in a few years).

I don't like the three being this dominating but it won't kill my interest like baseball did.

JasonJohnHorn
06-04-2016, 02:16 PM
I think it's great for the game. It really encourages ball movement and team play, and skills.

That is all good for the game.

TheMightyHumph
06-04-2016, 02:30 PM
I think it's great for the game. It really encourages ball movement and team play, and skills.

That is all good for the game.

We all have our opinions

TheNumber37
06-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Backing the line is silly because it takes away from the players who played years ago.

A 4 point line is silly too.

Each generation grows practicing different skills.
This one grew up long distance shooting, and all the Kids in JHS and HS are watching Curry. Changing the rules only helps them because that's what they are working towards

flea
06-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Probably but I doubt they will. It's funny that college is so much more physical. I guess casual fans like the "dribble where ever you want and jack 3s" display that almost all teams employ now but I'm not a huge fan. If I wanted to see a jumpshooting league I'd watch Ivy League basketball. If I wanted to see wings playing the 4 in a constant array of P&Rs I'd watch John Beilein's Wolverines.

Post play and guards that can score off the dribble are what I watched the NBA for. The stars that can do things others can't. The NBA has succeeded in making those guys worse at the expense of P&R flopfests and kickouts.

CardinalRed24
06-04-2016, 03:24 PM
IF ANYTHING either extend the 3pt line a bit further or allow more fouls. As far as 4pt lines, eliminating corner 3s, etc...just no.

koreancabbage
06-04-2016, 04:03 PM
if you move the 3 point line back, increase the size of the court, the post game and mid range game could get a revival due to the increase in space. Its too crowded in the post to set your man before a double team comes and that frees up the 3 point shooters.

TheMightyHumph
06-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Backing the line is silly because it takes away from the players who played years ago.

But didn't creating the 3-point line take away from the players that played before it was created?

The game is supposed to evolve.

Move back the line and eliminate the corner threes

Scoots
06-04-2016, 07:14 PM
We all have our opinions
And some of them are wrong :)

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

TheMightyHumph
06-05-2016, 01:23 PM
And some of them are wrong :)

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Not to the person owning the opinion. And that is not an opinion.

Scoots
06-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Not to the person owning the opinion. And that is not an opinion.

So, if an opinion is provably wrong it's still not wrong? I think the sky is green, but it's actually blue ... but I'm not wrong? :)

It is entirely possible to have an opinion that is in fact wrong.

Scoots
06-05-2016, 02:20 PM
IF ANYTHING either extend the 3pt line a bit further or allow more fouls. As far as 4pt lines, eliminating corner 3s, etc...just no.

You are going to extend the 3 point line ... by how much? 6"? 12"? If you do that and don't widen the court are you going to keep the corner line at the same 22'? Which means that even more 3s will be taken from the sides.

5ass
06-05-2016, 02:23 PM
They need to focus on moving screens.

Sly Guy
06-05-2016, 02:34 PM

this. the 3 is a part of the game, but you don't want it to become the WHOLE game. Make it harder to do, and you preserve the post and mid-range game.

JWO35
06-05-2016, 02:42 PM
-No need to move the 3pt line back

-Make half-court shots count as 4pts

TheMightyHumph
06-05-2016, 03:52 PM
So, if an opinion is provably wrong it's still not wrong? I think the sky is green, but it's actually blue ... but I'm not wrong? :)

It is entirely possible to have an opinion that is in fact wrong.

So your opinion would be wrong to you? Then it's not your opinion.

Saddletramp
06-05-2016, 05:35 PM
They need to focus on moving screens.

Yeah, that would definitely help. I haven't seen it as much the last few rounds but grabbing an elite shooter's defender really just makes it a warmup drill for some guys. And it's so blatant sometimes that it's like the refs don't even care.

da ThRONe
06-05-2016, 09:21 PM
To me moving the 3pt line is the equivalent of raising the goal to 11 or 12 feet because dunking has become too easy. Why penalize hard work and increased talent. Really are we going to make it the 110 yard dash because guys are faster now?

flea
06-05-2016, 09:46 PM
To me moving the 3pt line is the equivalent of raising the goal to 11 or 12 feet because dunking has become too easy. Why penalize hard work and increased talent. Really are we going to make it the 110 yard dash because guys are faster now?

The NBA has already penalized big men, mid-range guards, and all players that post up at the expense of rewarding shooters. The question is whether this new product is the type of basketball people want to see (nearly 50% of shots being 3s).

Mell413
06-05-2016, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't know where to look to confirm it, but I've read that players aren't better at shooting, but there's just more shots being taken. I'd have to see if I could find the article that had it but there's not a huge difference in difficulty from 3 pt shots versus shots outside 5 ft of the basket I think it was. I don't see the need for a 50% subsidy for a shot that isn't more difficult.

da ThRONe
06-05-2016, 10:25 PM
The NBA has already penalized big men, mid-range guards, and all players that post up at the expense of rewarding shooters. The question is whether this new product is the type of basketball people want to see (nearly 50% of shots being 3s).

I agree, but we could have it all. The answer is to stop penalizing big men and mid range shooters, not to penalize 3 pt shooters by moving the line farther back.

crewfan13
06-05-2016, 10:37 PM
I like the idea of moving the 3 point line back a foot and pushing th corner 3 out as well.

I also would like an increased emphasis on fundamental officiating. Like someone mentioned, there's so many illegal screens it's crazy. They've allowed the little things to go for too long, that's it's getting over the top. Seeing every travel and every illegal screen would be horrible for viewers, but it's almost to that point.

Part of what scares me for the future of basketball is having a bunch of guys who shouldn't be shooting threes just jacking up shots. I have no problem with guys like steph and klay taking a ton of threes. My fear is that we are 5-10 years away from everyone trying to shoot like that. AAU is already sloppy basketball dominated by guards and wings. Those guys are going to get even worse with just jacking up transition 3s all day.

Like I said, I have no problem with the way the Warriors play basketball. But they're successful beciase they have the guys to do it. Basketball is going to get brutal to watch if every team, even the teams without steph and klay start taking that many threes.

Scoots
06-06-2016, 01:15 AM
So your opinion would be wrong to you? Then it's not your opinion.

It doesn't matter who has the opinion, if it is factually incorrect then it is wrong. If it cannot be disproved then it cannot be proven wrong either ... BUT it's is totally possible for someone's opinion to be wrong.

alkalinesolo
06-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Raising the rim to 11 feet would be a great way to make the NBA look like the WNBA. I'm sure that's what we all want.

TheMightyHumph
06-06-2016, 02:44 PM
It doesn't matter who has the opinion, if it is factually incorrect then it is wrong. If it cannot be disproved then it cannot be proven wrong either ... BUT it's is totally possible for someone's opinion to be wrong.

Again, not to the person whose opinion it is.

Opinions (and life) are totally about perception.

Scoots
06-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Again, not to the person whose opinion it is.

Opinions (and life) are totally about perception.

Nope.

Playing off of your "life ... totally about perception" ... you could totally fail to perceive the poison that kills you.

If it's your opinion that 1+1=3 then your opinion is wrong. Arithmetic is specifically defined and 1+1 is never = 3, even for exceptionally large values of 1.

Further, I believe that opinion and fact on unprovable things exist on a continuum, and the more educated on any subject and the more time and analysis spent on that subject then ones opinion starts moving toward fact. It may never get there, but the value of an educated opinion is greater than one with no thought or effort behind it.

An opinion unchallenged is worthless. Put it out there, let it get challenged, fight for it, adjust it. But declaring all opinions as "right" means any dissenting opinion is also "right" which means that every thought is then "right" and life itself is meaningless.

TheMightyHumph
06-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Nope.

Playing off of your "life ... totally about perception" ... you could totally fail to perceive the poison that kills you.

If it's your opinion that 1+1=3 then your opinion is wrong. Arithmetic is specifically defined and 1+1 is never = 3, even for exceptionally large values of 1.

Further, I believe that opinion and fact on unprovable things exist on a continuum, and the more educated on any subject and the more time and analysis spent on that subject then ones opinion starts moving toward fact. It may never get there, but the value of an educated opinion is greater than one with no thought or effort behind it.

An opinion unchallenged is worthless. Put it out there, let it get challenged, fight for it, adjust it. But declaring all opinions as "right" means any dissenting opinion is also "right" which means that every thought is then "right" and life itself is meaningless.

1&1=3 is correct to me, if that is how I perceive it.

And an educated opinion is not of greater value than any other opinion, as many educated opinions on a subject are the exact opposite of many educated opinions on the same subject.

And it seems we have differing opinions on this matter.

Saddletramp
06-06-2016, 05:34 PM
This has gotten corny.

basch152
06-06-2016, 05:57 PM
And it seems we have differing opinions on this matter.

Nope, you're just wrong.

If your opinion is 1 + = 3 no one is going to even remotely consider your thoughts on calculus when there's a mathmatician in the room.

His opinion on the subject would be significantly more valuable than yours.

Scoots
06-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Nope, you're just wrong.

If your opinion is 1 + = 3 no one is going to even remotely consider your thoughts on calculus when there's a mathmatician in the room.

His opinion on the subject would be significantly more valuable than yours.

hehe

KnickNyKnick
06-06-2016, 10:54 PM
so we all agree 1+1= close thread?

da ThRONe
06-07-2016, 10:03 AM
1 + 1= 3 is not an opinion. It's a statement of fact and can disproven. If I said Curry made 399 3's this season it's not an opinion if I say he's the greatest shooter ever that is an opinion.

BoSox47
06-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Defend the perimeter better?

TheMightyHumph
06-07-2016, 11:29 AM
1 + 1= 3 is not an opinion. It's a statement of fact and can disproven. If I said Curry made 399 3's this season it's not an opinion if I say he's the greatest shooter ever that is an opinion.

Once again, if I believe that 1 + 1=3, and no one can convince me otherwise, then, to me, 1 + 1= 3

Scoots
06-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Actually 1+1=3 is not a statement of fact either :)

And while Curry did make 399 3s this season, that is also not true in a sense as well. And him being the greatest shooter ever is a good example of an opinion that is rapidly approaching fact.

:)

TheMightyHumph
06-07-2016, 12:33 PM
And while Curry did make 399 3s this season, that is also not true in a sense as well. And him being the greatest shooter ever is a good example of an opinion that is rapidly approaching fact.:)

That's just your opinion.

Scoots
06-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Once again, if I believe that 1 + 1=3, and no one can convince me otherwise, then, to me, 1 + 1= 3

I don't think anybody is arguing what your opinion is, just that it is wrong ... and possibly stupid.

TheMightyHumph
06-07-2016, 12:50 PM
I don't think anybody is arguing what your opinion is, just that it is wrong ... and possibly stupid.

Hey dummy, I don't think 1+1=3. I'm giving you an example.

Everyone has their own opinions. And their own perceptions.

Scoots
06-07-2016, 01:47 PM
Hey dummy, I don't think 1+1=3. I'm giving you an example.

Everyone has their own opinions. And their own perceptions.

I understand that everyone has their own opinions and their own perceptions. I just also believe they can be wrong. Like if, in your opinion, 1 + 1 = 3, then your opinion would be wrong.

Opinions are not necessarily right nor wrong ... it's only you arguing that they are always right.

Redrum187
06-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Since we are all brainstorming ridiculous ideas...

Remove the 3 point line, add the 4 point line 8-10 feet back, widen the court to allow for further corner 4's.

You'll have the elite shooters shooting for 4, and the mediocre 3 point shooters who can't hit it from 4 will have to attack the rim, post up, or shoot midrange (worst shot).

This way you increase the need for a post up 2 (ideal 2) and allow for snipers to go off.

I don't really think the game should change at all, I just wanted to join in this insanity. =p

TheMightyHumph
06-07-2016, 02:52 PM
I understand that everyone has their own opinions and their own perceptions. I just also believe they can be wrong. Like if, in your opinion, 1 + 1 = 3, then your opinion would be wrong.

Opinions are not necessarily right nor wrong ... it's only you arguing that they are always right.

They are always right to the person whose opinion it is.

Why are you having trouble this?

Scoots
06-07-2016, 03:27 PM
They are always right to the person whose opinion it is.

Why are you having trouble this?

But they can also be fundamentally wrong.

Why are you having trouble with this?

TheMightyHumph
06-07-2016, 03:32 PM
But they can also be fundamentally wrong.

Why are you having trouble with this?

Fundamentally wrong to whom?

alkalinesolo
06-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Never go full ******.

Scoots
06-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Fundamentally wrong to whom?

The universe.

TheMightyHumph
06-07-2016, 06:46 PM
The universe.

You have entered into an area that you OBVIOUSLY don't understand.

Good luck to you in life.

Scoots
06-07-2016, 07:11 PM
You have entered into an area that you OBVIOUSLY don't understand.

Good luck to you in life.

And to you. And might I say that your name here appears to be apt.

TheMightyHumph
06-07-2016, 09:11 PM
And to you. And might I say that your name here appears to be apt.

My favorite player when he was a Net.

Scoots
06-07-2016, 11:39 PM
My favorite player when he was a Net.

But that's just your opinion.

TheMightyHumph
06-08-2016, 12:16 AM
But that's just your opinion.

Nope. Just a fact filtered through my perceptions.

Saddletramp
06-08-2016, 01:09 AM
God damn it, now we're using perceptions?

TheMightyHumph
06-08-2016, 01:30 AM
God damn it, now we're using perceptions?

That is what life is about.

Scoots
06-08-2016, 10:48 AM
That is what life is about.

That's just your opinion.

I think life is about the stories you make.